Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Cistern Wives

Pallas
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

A GIANT HOLE that could collapse on a LITTLE BOY? Are you kidding me right now? I am in complete and utter disbelief. What an ASSHAT 🤯

And he essentially forced him to go in. 

• Like 1
  • Love 22

I only ever see this show on commercials or the last 5 minutes before "Pillow Talk" comes on, but this guy seems like such a douche and tonight was the topper. I can't believe he didn't go with his teenage daughter who's having major spinal surgery.

• Love 17

Kody is such a dumb ass.

He likes to crow about what a good deal he got on Coyote Pass.

Anyone buying vacant land to build on should have done the following:

Have the sellers pay for an actual lot line surveying and check for any restrictions any old mineral easements.

Have the sellers drill and test a well and test water amounts and quality.

Have the sellers also pay to drop down the electric utilities to the proposed building site. (This would be needed for the operation of the well/pumps, etc.).

• Useful 5
  • Love 15

I have decided that Janelle just wanted to have lots of children regardless of who the bio dad was, feel,sorry for her kids that Christine basically raised along side of hers.

Janelle is just friends with Kody in an ex wife way.

Meri has never cared about any of the other sister wives and her daughter is obviously not close to any of the other kids, now adults or their moms or grands.

Christine has finally seen the light and moved on. Glad she was able to see that she was no more to him then a used tissue.

Meri is sticking it to Kody and legal wife Robyn and laughing all the way to the bank.

Congrats Robyn, you are the last person sitting in the chair game and get to claim the booby prize Kody.

• Love 23

If Meri and Christine had swapped apts in Lehi, that would mean Meri would have been the “basement wife”. Not to mention all the kids running around over her head. Given that the first wife is the “Head Bitch in Charge” that was never going to happen. Before someone brings up Janelle, just a reminder that she was the one who bought the home, with an inheritance and a distribution from her 401k.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

Wish that Janelle had kept her inheritance and 401k secret and out of Kodys clutches? after all they weren't legally married. Wonder if she has any legal remedies against him to claw back those monies? Mental duress, mental abuse, etc.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

If Meri and Christine had swapped apts in Lehi, that would mean Meri would have been the “basement wife”. Not to mention all the kids running around over her head. Given that the first wife is the “Head Bitch in Charge” that was never going to happen. Before someone brings up Janelle, just a reminder that she was the one who bought the home, with an inheritance and a distribution from her 401k.

Could not agree more, especially with the bolded, in fact that's what I was alluding to in the last sentence of my post...in my opinion, Meri would never have gone for the switch, because privacy was not really her goal. Her refusal to go along with a switch would have revealed that.

If that apt was good enough for Christine, it should have been good enough for Meri, but it wouldn't have been, because she's special and entitled. If she really wanted privacy, she would have wanted Christine's apt, where no one would ever need to walk through, and she could have even put a lock on the internal connecting door. But it was never about that.

I bet Christine would have lived in the middle apt and never complained about Meri and Mariah needing to walk through to get to Janelle's.

If I had any video skills, this is where I'd put in that video clip of Kody looking right at the camera and saying "Can I just say....WET BAR?"

Meri needs something to bitch about, because she's a miserable, unhappy person. An apartment swap would have fixed her "people walking through" issue, so then Meri would have found something new to cry and bitch about, because Meri must always, always have something that is her "wet bar of tears".

• Love 21
6 hours ago, Art Of Noiz said:

So much for Janelle's new found sass. When confronted, her volume dropped a couple notches. She looked away, rolled her eyes, and said "like" you know, like 30 times. 

And did she actually say leakage? Did she mean gossip? 

Well, she apparently has GI issues, so "leakage" may have an entirely different meaning with her.  🚽

Just now, 65mickey said:

I wasn't rally paying attention to the show while it was on so I have a dumb question. Where does the water come from to fill a cistern?

Not sure where the Prairie Plague water came from, but my sister's husband drove a huge truck filled with water obtained from local ponds and other sources.  He sold it to private parties wanting to fill up pools, etc., and also delivered it to firefighters on sites of fire.  His truck held thousands of gallons of water, I believe.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Could not agree more, especially with the bolded, in fact that's what I was alluding to in the last sentence of my post...in my opinion, Meri would never have gone for the switch, because privacy was not really her goal. Her refusal to go along with a switch would have revealed that.

If that apt was good enough for Christine, it should have been good enough for Meri, but it wouldn't have been, because she's special and entitled. If she really wanted privacy, she would have wanted Christine's apt, where no one would ever need to walk through, and she could have even put a lock on the internal connecting door. But it was never about that.

I bet Christine would have lived in the middle apt and never complained about Meri and Mariah needing to walk through to get to Janelle's.

If I had any video skills, this is where I'd put in that video clip of Kody looking right at the camera and saying "Can I just say....WET BAR?"

Meri needs something to bitch about, because she's a miserable, unhappy person. An apartment swap would have fixed her "people walking through" issue, so then Meri would have found something new to cry and bitch about, because Meri must always, always have something that is her "wet bar of tears".

Watching this episode, Mini Persnickety said the same thing..."Why didn't Meri just trade apartments with Janelle or Christine if she wanted more privacy?"

I told her it wasn't really about privacy for our Meri.  It was about control.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Well, she apparently has GI issues, so "leakage" may have an entirely different meaning with her.  🚽

Not sure where the Prairie Plague water came from, but my sister's husband drove a huge truck filled with water obtained from local ponds and other sources.  He sold it to private parties wanting to fill up pools, etc., and also delivered it to firefighters on sites of fire.  His truck held thousands of gallons of water, I believe.  

Would this water be drinkable and ok for cooking and bathing? I don't think that I would want to be drinking untreated water from ponds. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Would this water be drinkable and ok for cooking and bathing? I don't think that I would want to be drinking untreated water from ponds. 

No, it wasn't potable.  The people who would buy it for swimming pools had to have it chemically treated before swimming in it, but it was fine to use as it was for the firefighters.  

Goddess only knows if that water Kody and Klan had trucked in was potable, but I'm guessing it wasn't.  

• Love 8
9 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

A GIANT HOLE that could collapse on a LITTLE BOY? Are you kidding me right now? I am in complete and utter disbelief. What an ASSHAT 🤯

I thought exactly the same thing!!   The child would have been buried in an instant.

9 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I’m so pissed right now and I don’t have or even like kids. That was seriously so wrong. 

I don’t have kids or like kids either but you, like me, would not want one put in danger.  We also have common sense and care what happens to an innocent person.  Although childless, we both know how wrong that was!!

Edited by Kid
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Kody is such a dumb ass.

Have the sellers pay for an actual lot line surveying and check for any restrictions any old mineral easements.

Have the sellers also pay to drop down the electric utilities to the proposed building site. (This would be needed for the operation of the well/pumps, etc.).

If you're not a real estate agent, you should be! I'd love to work with someone like you who knows the things that you can negotiate into a deal! I've helped several clients buy vacant land, and I always push for them to make the seller pay for a survey, property research, and other necessities. I have found it harder to make sellers pay for utility installation, but that may be because that's just not common in my area. All of the other things you named should absolutely be negotiated into the deal. 

To recap my thoughts from this episode:

Janelle went from "I'm gonna stand up for what I want" to a shaky-voiced, weak-kneed doormat as soon as Meri confronted her about the things she had said. Shockingly, someone else in this screwed up "family" is as fake as a $3 bill. "You might say that nobody can use my part of the pond." Why the hell are these people still obsessed with that ditch? It's literally an overgrown mud puddle.

Meri's crack at the end about how "it's lonely" and "she lives alone" cracked me up. Sorry, Meri. If you weren't going at it with a banana and writing a fake name on your body, maybe you wouldn't be in this situation.

And of course, Kody's still a piece of shit. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 21
9 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I get that no one would want Janelle's and Christine's kids going through our living rooms. I agree that I wouldn't. But we didn't choose this kind of life, either.

Meri chose polygamy, and Meri was fine with Janelle using her inheritance to help buy this home. She was fine with Janelle and Kody being the ones making the mortgage payments. The parents of the children in question help pay for the roof over Meri's head, which she considers all hers. She wants the perks of polygamy without any of the inconveniences.

Yes, it is a short distance outside. It's also a short distance inside. 

Janelle offers to work full time and share her income with the family. Christine offers to provide childcare and make dinner so that Janelle can work. And Meri offers conflict.

Bottom line for me is, if Kody had any balls at all and was any kind of leader and father, he could have settled this easily. All he had to say was "Meri doesn't like people walking through her home. Christine and Janelle are co-parenting and my kids need access to both of those homes. Meri and Christine will switch apartments. Moving day is Saturday."

Boom. Meri has privacy, Christine and Janelle have all the access they want to each other without bothering Meri.

And if Meri had fought him on that decision, then he'd have known it was never about privacy at all, but pettiness and control. 

I agree with this 100%. Not that living a plural lifestyle means no one is every allowed any privacy ever- the kids storming into Meri's bedroom/bathroom without knocking wouldnt be acceptable, but like you said, Meri was happy with Janelle paying the bills. Happy with Christine cooking meals and watching Mariah when Meri and Kody had their date night etc etc. Meri was happy that Mariah had brothers and sisters even though she didnt have any more kids, yet you wont let Mariah's brothers/sisters walk through the living room???? 

Dont buy it.

• Love 15

I didn’t see this mentioned yet, forgive me if it was. 

Meri’s talking head about the other family members using her section as a hallway stood out for a couple reasons.

She strongly implied that since her bedroom was right there, she and Kody would be intimately involved (assuming it’s her night) and it’s awkward having the other wives strolling by. 

If she is at work while most of the cutting through is happening, it won’t affect her private time. And with a child, it’s typical to wait until they’re in bed sleeping before parents would go to bed. By that time, I really doubt anyone else would need to use part of the house to get to the other side. My feeling is she was just reminiscing her glory days when Kody had her in the rotation and/or felt the need to remind everyone (including Kody) that they used to have sex, which he had tried to forget. 

If she is home, and trying to relax, I do think it’s fair that she isn’t comfortable with the extra traffic, especially with that many kids. But, if she is gone and they would like to cut through (assuming they’re not stealing her bananas or breaking things), I believe this is standard selfish Meri for not allowing it. As other posters have said, they chose to live as a polygamous unit which means they operate by different rules than most of us. Part of that is sharing of funds (most being Janelle and Kody’s) which Meri was totally fine with taking more than her fair share. But walking through her part of the house that mostly Janelle paid for…unacceptable! 

I don’t know why (okay, I do know why) there couldn’t be a compromise? During daytime hours while Meri is not home, it’s okay for the family to access that shortcut and when she is home, she can lock the door and enjoy her quiet time. 

• Love 19

Meri's shirt pretty much communicates the truth about her attitude. There were ways to work out the house hallway problem, but she didn't want to. And Janelle knows it. It's why Meri has no relationship with Janelle and Christine's kids, and no grandma name. She and Janelle only had this conversation for filming. In real life, I think Meri does the occasional drive-by past Robyn's house, and nothing else. 

What's sad is that Meri thinks she's got one up on all of us, when in reality everyone knows the truth and her pretense is just pathetic. 

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It. Is. Not. A. POND!!!!!! 

They’re arguing over a filthy runoff ditch! 

Add me to the list of people who don’t get the appeal of the run off ‘pond’. 

We have a business behind our property that has a large run off pond that looks like a real pond. We get enough rain here that most of them stay filled, grow cattails and ducks and other wildlife use them. Still gross to think about all the run off water that helps to keep them full, and I’d never consider it anything other than utilitarian, but it’s much more attractive than the mud pit the Brown’s have. 

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

(caution: sarcasm ahead!) It's waterfront property Michelangelo. Meri wants her over water bungalow so she can watch the minions fish below, during designated times 😆

Seriously though, THAT part of the argument is ridiculous. I don't have a problem with Meri not allowing people to use her apartment in Lehi as a revolving door. And access to Pond du Stink is not the same thing. Unless I missed something it's this non-issue that Janelle has cooked up in her head because of Meri's boundaries in Lehi. Janelle is SO caught up by the runoff ditch like it's a community swimming pool that nobody will be allowed to use. Maybe Janelle had grand ideas of parking her RV in the middle and building a drawbridge. Who knows. It's comical.

I have to wonder if Janelle has a grand plan of adding fish to the ‘pond’ since fishing seems to be her only hobby. I know it’s totally unrealistic since it doesn’t stay filled but maybe she thinks she can truck in water. With no fishing as an option, I just can’t figure out her obsession. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Libby said:

This is a first for me, but I agree with Meri. I think each wife is entitled to personal space. None of the three should have had to deal with their living room being a hallway, so Meri and Christine flipping apartments wouldn't have worked either. The house was poorly designed.

The solution was to enclose that section that had the outside steps and Christine's outside entrance, with a door to the outside in the enclosure. I think it would have been a fairly cheap upgrade to the house.

The reason that it wasn't done was because Kody couldn't have cared less if his wives or children were inconvenienced.

A sensible resolution to the problem, one that would not occur to Kody and Kompany, they complicate their lives to have something to bitch about it appears.

I had no idea that Janelle and Christine were also using Meri's unit as a passageway from one to another and I reluctantly admit, Meri was justified in calling a halt to it.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I had no idea that Janelle and Christine were also using Meri's unit as a passageway from one to another and I reluctantly admit, Meri was justified in calling a halt to it.

It's not exactly the same, but I remember when I was storing my now sister-in-law's wedding dress before the wedding, and I gave her a key in case she needed to get it for alterations and I was traveling for work or what not. I was traveling a lot at the time. Well that turned into show and tell with her dipshit sisters and friends and I had to tell her to cut it out because she was bringing people through my house with increasing frequency, and it was always when I wasn't around. It wasn't a good filling.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20
41 minutes ago, Libby said:

This is a first for me, but I agree with Meri. I think each wife is entitled to personal space. None of the three should have had to deal with their living room being a hallway, so Meri and Christine flipping apartments wouldn't have worked either. The house was poorly designed.

The solution was to enclose that section that had the outside steps and Christine's outside entrance, with a door to the outside in the enclosure. I think it would have been a fairly cheap upgrade to the house.

The reason that it wasn't done was because Kody couldn't have cared less if his wives or children were inconvenienced.

Agree, this is a design problem, two apartments are fairly private and one is not.

However, this is the way the house was, and this was the house the Browns could afford. I think they could barely afford it, and I think there was no money leftover for an upgrade of enclosing the two outside doors. What is a cheap upgrade to most of us may have been unattainable for them.

Prior to this they had been trying to live in regular homes, with one kitchen, almost everything being a "common area", and each wife only getting a bedroom as her personal space, which led to Janelle leaving and getting her own home because she couldn't stand it. The Lehi house was definitely not perfect, but was a huge upgrade from that.

In a perfect world no one would be inconvenienced, ever. But if no change was going to be made, either by swapping apartments or enclosing an outer walkway, then someone was going to be inconvenienced.

Meri decided that 13 other people should be inconvenienced rather than her, and Kody let her do it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Sounds like Meri’s story arc is she’s been working with an actual professional-therapist, counselor,etc. to learn and implement techniques for positive communication within her interpersonal relationships…since, y’know, she’s in for eternity.

In between Janelle and Meri’s conversation we are presented with backstory and a few talking heads of Kody plyg-splaining how it’s all supposed to work in their chosen lifestyle world.

After the kids are grown and gone, it’s just the 5 of them and they knew this when they made a sacred vow to join with Kody for eternity.  They’ve had plenty of time to figure out what that is supposed to look like and build relationships with each other despite their differences.

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Where  is the cistern that Sol was in and why was he in it?  I really miss my TLC shows; moving sucks.

There was a giant ditch dug at Coyote Pass to accommodate a 20,000 gallon water tank that would serve the 5 mythical houses.  Kody wanted Sol to get into the ditch I guess to play and see how big it was and Sol really didn't want to, so they walked around the side and went in on a slope. Without reinforcement on the sides, it's not out of the realm of possibility for a giant ditch to give way and to bury whatever is in it. It was such a stupid and irresponsible thing to do. It was shades of Kody pushing Truely on the bike. He is a horrible, horrible father.

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Useful 1
  • Love 23
13 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Apparently, Kody was convinced he got the deal of the century: The sellers gave Kody a discount and in return the sellers did not have to sort out any of the things you mentioned above.... It's not hard to guess who got the short end of the stick! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

However, this is the way the house was, and this was the house the Browns could afford. I think they could barely afford it, and I think there was no money leftover for an upgrade of enclosing the two outside doors. What is a cheap upgrade to most of us may have been unattainable for them.

Kootie would have just told the wives they need to work it out together and felt he had done all he needed to do.

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

55 minutes ago, Twopper said:

Where  is the cistern that Sol was in and why was he in it?  I really miss my TLC shows; moving sucks.

There was a giant ditch dug at Coyote Pass to accommodate a 20,000 gallon water tank that would serve the 5 mythical houses.  Kody wanted Sol to get into the ditch I guess to play and see how big it was and Sol really didn't want to, so they walked around the side and went in on a slope. Without reinforcement on the sides, it's not out of the realm of possibility for a giant ditch to give way and to bury whatever is in it. It was such a stupid and irresponsible thing to do. It was shades of Kody pushing Truely on the bike. He is a horrible, horrible father.

So the cistern is a ditch and not an actual tank?  Sounds like something they would come up with, but they will never build on prairie dog flats so the ditch will just stay there as a hazard.   HIs treatment of Sol and Truly sorta reminds me of Ma Duggar losing a child in an airport and taking  a picture of the one who fell into the orchestra  pit or something similar.

• Love 6