Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Cistern Wives

Pallas
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

This is my question also. Why aren't they just having wells drilled? I haven't heard any of them say they aren't able to. This water tank thing seems kind of over the top and expensive in the long run.

I don’t know anything about this. Is it always an option to drill wells? Is there always water if you dig deep enough? Or is it possible that there’s no water within a diggable depth on Coyote Pass and they have to truck water in.

Second question - doesn’t the water have to be treated before it goes into the giant tank so it’s safe for human consumption? Does that happen before the water goes into the underground tank or after it’s in the tank, before it’s piped out to the houses?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

The only extra space I can see Christine having is under stairwell storage.  The footprint is the same since there is no place the first and second floor don't match in the exterior is there?  Christine's kitchen could have been larger by using a slightly different internal floor plan.  

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don’t know anything about this. Is it always an option to drill wells? Is there always water if you dig deep enough? Or is it possible that there’s no water within a diggable depth on Coyote Pass and they have to truck water in.

Second question - doesn’t the water have to be treated before it goes into the giant tank so it’s safe for human consumption? Does that happen before the water goes into the underground tank or after it’s in the tank, before it’s piped out to the houses?

I live in the country and have a drilled well, so that seems like it would be the obvious place to start, but they never even mentioned it. And there are plenty of well drilling companies serving Flagstaff. If they even had a company come out to give them an assessment, it seems like we would know about it - you know, something to complain about for the next three episodes - "Oh no, the well company says we can't drill!" Anyway, I don't know if Kody is being cheap and thinking this would be more cost-effective than having 4/5 wells drilled, BUT, in the long run, if they want to ever sell, the value of those properties will take a hit if they are sharing a water tank. And there aren't many people willing to be tied to their neighbors like that. Also, the expense of keeping it filled is probably significant, especially for how many people it will be serving. If they simply drilled wells for each house, that's it. No further expense and you've got water that doesn't have to be monitored or managed.

Edited by Teri313
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, JayDub1987 said:

If you're not a real estate agent, you should be! I'd love to work with someone like you who knows the things that you can negotiate into a deal! I've helped several clients buy vacant land, and I always push for them to make the seller pay for a survey, property research, and other necessities. I have found it harder to make sellers pay for utility installation, but that may be because that's just not common in my area. All of the other things you named should absolutely be negotiated into the deal. 

To recap my thoughts from this episode:

Janelle went from "I'm gonna stand up for what I want" to a shaky-voiced, weak-kneed doormat as soon as Meri confronted her about the things she had said. Shockingly, someone else in this screwed up "family" is as fake as a $3 bill. "You might say that nobody can use my part of the pond." Why the hell are these people still obsessed with that ditch? It's literally an overgrown mud puddle.

Meri's crack at the end about how "it's lonely" and "she lives alone" cracked me up. Sorry, Meri. If you weren't going at it with a banana and writing a fake name on your body, maybe you wouldn't be in this situation.

And of course, Kody's still a piece of shit. 

I'm a licensed broker working in CA for over 20 years, and have EARNED the commissions paid to me thru hard work and diligent fiduciary representation of both sellers and buyers , sometimes both in dual agency.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, waterytart said:

Does anyone know how many bedrooms each apartment has in the Lehi house? Meri's apartment doesn't appear to have more than two and I wonder if that's why she had that particular one.

I don't know for certain, but it was basically the same size as Christine's, and it's more than two because I can recall Meri's room, Mariah's room, and a sewing room Meri had in a spare bedroom. So it had at least 3.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

I don't know for certain, but it was basically the same size as Christine's, and it's more than two because I can recall Meri's room, Mariah's room, and a sewing room Meri had in a spare bedroom. So it had at least 3.

Thank you! I wish there was a floorplan somewhere for each apartment but I haven't been able to find one.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I lived in the country, and our house had a “weak well” that was sulphur water, so we had water brought in. It’s pretty common, and the cities and towns sell water from their water tanks that is already treated, so it’s safe to drink, but it’s not cheap. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, waterytart said:

Does anyone know how many bedrooms each apartment has in the Lehi house? Meri's apartment doesn't appear to have more than two and I wonder if that's why she had that particular one.

According to this blog post from the current owner, the house has 10 bedrooms, but she doesn't break it down by apartment. But I thought it was an interesting read, so I'm sharing.

https://speakingofpolygamy.com/2018/02/06/what-its-like-living-in-kody-browns-old-house/

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
19 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

According to this blog post from the current owner, the house has 10 bedrooms, but she doesn't break it down by apartment. But I thought it was an interesting read, so I'm sharing.

https://speakingofpolygamy.com/2018/02/06/what-its-like-living-in-kody-browns-old-house/

This was interesting, thanks.

10 bedrooms. So most likely scenario, since M & C's apts are virtually identical in size, is that M had 3, C had 3, and J had 4. 

J provided down payment, and at the time they moved in, J had more kids. Makes sense that she would need this apt.

What doesn't make sense is that they ever put Petty Betty in the higher traffic, central apt in the first place. Who couldn't have seen that coming from a mile away.

Christine is a positive person, I can easily see her thinking "Yay! My apt is the hub of our home, everyone stops by!"

These people are horrible decision makers.

• Love 16

In one of the earlier episodes it was mentioned Kody liked being at Meri’s apt. because it was quiet with o my one kid. I feel like Meri’s place was Kody’s hangout when he wanted to get away from it all. Meri didn’t want people traipsing through her place and Kody probably encouraged that mindset. 

Kody and Sol together came off as a babysitter and his charge. Sol seems to be a sweet, polite little boy. He obviously was not interested in the hole but Kody has decided he should be because that a what he think little boys enjoy. Sol went in to make Kody happy and not because he has any interest. Kody couldn’t even tell his son had no interest. Then again, Kody doesn’t seem to be close to any of his boys, Sol included. 

• Love 20

Christine and Meri's apartment might be mostly the same size, but Christine's is configured very differently if you watch episode one. And there does appear to be an alcove that leads out back in Christine's plus extra free space In other areas. Meri's has the front foyer/fireplace bleed into her living space which is not usable space - but it is in Christines.. The kitchen in Christine's is not wide open to the living room/hallway like it is in Meri's. It appears as if Meri and Mariah bedrooms are bigger than the ones in Christines.

Actually so it appears in Meri's there are four doors. Door one goes to Mariah. Door two goes to Meri. Door three also goes to Meri. Her bedroom is essentially two rooms that open to each other. Door four goes to a bathroom. So if someone puts a wall there it would be three bedrooms.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Useful 6
14 hours ago, Shieldmaiden said:

I may not be remembering correctly as I was counting my cable knitting stitches while watching, but I thought I heard him say that there will be one of these tanks for each house, saying that there will be 5 in total…

Edited to add: Diedra on another thread heard more details…this big tank will feed 5 smaller tanks, one for each house.

I also knit whilst watching this shit show.  It requires so little focus to follow what's going on.  

It's like the perfect white noise against the clicking of the needles 🧶

• LOL 9
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Teri313 said:

And there aren't many people willing to be tied to their neighbors like that.

Wouldn't you love to be halfway through a load of laundry and have the thing run dry because Kootie "loves to take long showers"?

• LOL 20
  • Love 2

sulphur water

Among other issues, that would stink.

Kody and Sol together came off as a babysitter and his charge. Sol seems to be a sweet, polite little boy. He obviously was not interested in the hole but Kody has decided he should be because that a what he think little boys enjoy. Sol went in to make Kody happy and not because he has any interest. Kody couldn’t even tell his son had no interest. Then again, Kody doesn’t seem to be close to any of his boys, Sol included. 

I hated the way he was "handling" Sol. I thought he was so rough with him. I half expected him to push Sol into the hole.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

I'm a licensed broker working in CA for over 20 years, and have EARNED the commissions paid to me thru hard work and diligent fiduciary representation of both sellers and buyers , sometimes both in dual agency.

I have absolutely no problem believing that. I've been a licensed broker in Kentucky for around 5 years now and was an agent for several years before that. I kind of assumed that you were in the industry when you were naming the things that should be negotiated into the deal, but if you weren't, I was certainly going to encourage you to look into it. You seem like the kind of broker that I love working with in a deal with. As a Realtor, I've laughed every time Kody talks about what a great deal he got on the property, when it seems pretty obvious that he didn't get any concessions from the sellers. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I hated the way he was "handling" Sol. I thought he was so rough with him. I half expected him to push Sol into the hole.

He even grabbed his head and turned it when he was telling Solomon "look, look, here it comes!" about the truck delivering the cistern.

I think anybody who grabs my head to force my face in a certain direction is going to get an elbow to the ribcage.

This whole interaction was weird. I felt really sorry for Solomon. He's what, 8 or 9 at the time this is filmed? He's a little boy, he doesn't give a rat's fat ass about the giant tank, or Kody's super terrific hole in the ground, unless Scooby Doo and the gang are at the bottom of it.

There was a scene last season of Solomon and Kody getting stuff ready to take to the landfill, and that interaction was not like this at all. I hope most of the time, it's like that, because this scene was just all kinds of strange.

• Love 18
40 minutes ago, Sasha888 said:

He even grabbed his head and turned it when he was telling Solomon "look, look, here it comes!" about the truck delivering the cistern.

I think anybody who grabs my head to force my face in a certain direction is going to get an elbow to the ribcage.

This whole interaction was weird. I felt really sorry for Solomon. He's what, 8 or 9 at the time this is filmed? He's a little boy, he doesn't give a rat's fat ass about the giant tank, or Kody's super terrific hole in the ground, unless Scooby Doo and the gang are at the bottom of it.

There was a scene last season of Solomon and Kody getting stuff ready to take to the landfill, and that interaction was not like this at all. I hope most of the time, it's like that, because this scene was just all kinds of strange.

I hope Robyn freaked out and cut Kootie off.  Janelle played CYA and told Kootie not to do that with Sol, and he went ahead and forced him down that stupid hole, anyway.  Kootie forced Truely to ride the bike when she was clearly crying and upset.  He's a shitty example of a dad.

• Love 18
23 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

That filthy mud puddle is the stupidest thingk they've ever argued about.  

So much this!  What, pray tell, are they actually thinking they will do with E. Coli Pond?  It's not lakefront footage, for crying out loud - it's a hole full of dirty water, sharp sticks, maybe some broken glass just for fun.  I swear, these women seem to think that whoever gets the drainage ditch access is going to gain the bonus of watching Kody go skinny-dipping every morning to swim laps while they enjoy their morning coffee.  IT'S A DITCH!

20 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

It was weird to hear Ysabel say her dad helped her get through all those months when she was living in such pain because the way I remember it, Kody didn't even know she was in that much pain.

I probably read way too much into stuff like this, but I kind of took it to mean that maybe when Ysabel was having some of her worst days, she cried for Kody to come over and support her and  - if he had no other options and wanted to get Christine off his back - he went.  Because I can totally see A. - Ysabel accepting minimal scraps from Kody as a positive form of affection because she knows nothing else, and B. - Kody wanting to play hero to Ysabel once in awhile, if he wasn't doing anything else, and knowing that if he swooped in on her worst days, he could affirm that yes, he was there for her.  

17 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

If Janelle’s mom married Kody’s Dad I think that makes Janelle the stepsister of Kody 😳

Well, but you know, it's not WEIRD or anything because Kody's dad married Janelle's mom BEFORE Kody married Janelle!  So, like - it's not rilly weird except for the swept-under-the-rug fact that Janelle was hitched to Meri's brother first.  Nope, not weird at all!

12 hours ago, MakingBacon said:

+++++1 to all of this.  One would think that Kody and Sol would have the best relationship of any two people in this entire family but in most of their scenes together, Sol seems really awkward around Kody.  There was another scene maybe last season where Kody and Sol were cleaning up some boxes and I noted then that Sol seemed off.  Maybe he's just super shy around the cameras but then also maybe Robyn shouldn't push him to interact with his dad if he doesn't want to, and it sure seems like he doesn't.

4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Wouldn't you love to be halfway through a load of laundry and have the thing run dry because Kootie "loves to take long showers"?

For me, this was the segment (there's always at least one) where I wanted to reach in and slap the smug off of Robyn's face when she explained to us that Kody loves to take long showers.  Because of course, she would know that.  Because he lives with her and nowhere else.  But she's still sad about it, because he doesn't get to interact with the rest of his family - under her strict orders - but watch her squeeze out a dry tear when she talks about it.  She is so evil.

• LOL 6
  • Love 17
20 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

They're arguing about it because there's only one.

Each of them wants it because it's something only they would have.

It's about the "pond," but it's not about the "pond."

Yup. After I met my husband (oldest of 4) I described the interactions of his siblings as "they would fight over the dirt on the floor if it meant that they could keep the others from owning the dirt on the floor"

18 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Does the existence of this cistern mean that wells can't be dug on the properties?

Even if it is proven that there is water underground to actually tap into, depending on the bedrock depth and the grade of the underground structure it may be not economically feasible to drill. Based on the fact that Christine's house (now sold) and Robyn's house have cisterns I am thinking that the area doesn't have many actual wells. Even in modern day here in Pennsylvania a water drilling company has both surveys and a water witch before they will drill.

*Going by memory... in the history of the American west it was a big whoo haa over the rights to the water from the Colorado River. There are laws prohibiting people from even having rain barrels in Colorado because California owns the rights to the water...that falls from the sky in Colorado. I'm pretty sure that Arizona was part of the fight for the river as well.

Quoting @Elizzikra ""Second question - doesn’t the water have to be treated before it goes into the giant tank so it’s safe for human consumption? Does that happen before the water goes into the underground tank or after it’s in the tank, before it’s piped out to the houses?""

Well water is tested and then sometimes it needs to be treated before it can be used for consumption. If anything is happening in the area that would disturb the underground water they test all the water before and after (usually). The water is pumped into a pressure tank so that the household water can actually go up the pipes. It can go through a filtration system or not, depending on if you have any solids or dissolved "things" in the water. I have a high iron in my water and so if it stands the iron will oxidize. Its a real pain and my husband and I are now thinking about investing in a whole house filtration instead of the simple carbon filter we have now.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
On 12/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, Adeejay said:

If I were Ysabel, I would never forgive my father for not being there for my surgery.  Especially given the way he reacted when his stepdaughter, Aurora had a panic attack.

Unfortunately, she probably will.  I know someone whose mother treated her even worse than Kodvid treats Ysabel, but she is always trying to have a relationship with her thoughtless and abusive mom and win her approval as a young adult.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

To see all the hand wringing over water rights, you would think they were sparring over Pacific ocean views and not some stagnant mud pit. 

It was weird to hear Ysabel say her dad helped her get through all those months when she was living in such pain because the way I remember it, Kody didn't even know she was in that much pain. 

Why did last episode Christine make her 1st two weeks in NJ sound like a fun vacation, when actually it was a required quarantine?

I felt such sympathy for Madison and her husband having to make such hard decisions concerning their daughter's limbs. Poor baby!

Robyn really had Kody to herself that summer with all the wives away.  Witch!

Because Kody was on the other side of the country.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Janelle played CYA and told Kootie not to do that with Sol, and he went ahead and forced him down that stupid hole, anyway.  Kootie forced Truely to ride the bike when she was clearly crying and upset.  He's a shitty example of a dad.

and in both scenes Kootie seemed to think he was getting footage showing what a great Dad he was, but his rushed time frame and not picking an activity that the kid was interested in showed the opposite

Sol might have liked the ditch if Truely were there to play with

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Dobian said:

Unfortunately, she probably will.  I know someone whose mother treated her even worse than Kodvid treats Ysabel, but she is always trying to have a relationship with her thoughtless and abusive mom and win her approval as a young adult.

Because sometimes no mater how old you are you still have a small hope that mommy (or daddy) will love you.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

For me, this was the segment (there's always at least one) where I wanted to reach in and slap the smug off of Robyn's face when she explained to us that Kody loves to take long showers.  Because of course, she would know that.  Because he lives with her and nowhere else.  But she's still sad about it, because he doesn't get to interact with the rest of his family - under her strict orders - but watch her squeeze out a dry tear when she talks about it.  She is so evil.

Robyn also relished in explaining that Kody loves to take long showers to pour salt in Christine's wounds.  In "The Basement Wife," Christine complained to Robyn that Kody would never take showers in her apartment in Lehi.  Kody's excuse was that Meri's shower was better.  After Robyn joined the fambly, he started to showered at Robyn's.  

In case they forget who the legal and favorite wife is, Robyn will remind them. 

• Love 19

When Kootie says "interest of the family" he clearly means Robyn and Robyn's spawn.  Everyone else can suck an egg (in Kootie's mindset, not mine.)

Robyn never ceases to amaze me with her utter evil motives. 

42 minutes ago, Grifter Lives said:

Robyn also relished in explaining that Kody loves to take long showers to pour salt in Christine's wounds.  In "The Basement Wife," Christine complained to Robyn that Kody would never take showers in her apartment in Lehi.  Kody's excuse was that Meri's shower was better.  After Robyn joined the fambly, he started to showered at Robyn's.  

In case they forget who the legal and favorite wife is, Robyn will remind them. 

Exactly this.

• Love 22
On 12/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

The Pond. Why are they all obsessed with that muddy ditch? I'd want to be as far as possible from that stinking, stagnant puddle. 

On 12/13/2021 at 10:27 AM, TurtlePower said:

It. Is. Not. A. POND!!!!!!   They’re arguing over a filthy runoff ditch! 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:31 AM, RedDelicious said:

(caution: sarcasm ahead!) It's waterfront property Michelangelo. Meri wants her over water bungalow so she can watch the minions fish below, during designated times 😆

Janelle is SO caught up by the runoff ditch like it's a community swimming pool that nobody will be allowed to use. Maybe Janelle had grand ideas of parking her RV in the middle and building a drawbridge. Who knows. It's comical.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:34 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I think Janelle pictured Trevi Fountain glory

4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

So much this!  What, pray tell, are they actually thinking they will do with E. Coli Pond?  It's not lakefront footage, for crying out loud - it's a hole full of dirty water, sharp sticks, maybe some broken glass just for fun.  I swear, these women seem to think that whoever gets the drainage ditch access is going to gain the bonus of watching Kody go skinny-dipping every morning to swim laps while they enjoy their morning coffee.  IT'S A DITCH!

How can you all forget?

Screen-Shot-2021-11-28-at-7.01.19-PM.png

Edited by Grifter Lives
  • LOL 17
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Yuck!!!

Kootie is so worried about COVID that he forgot the real threat of West Nile Virus. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-science/2021/10/19/west-nile-virus-human-vaccine-mosquitos-arizona/6093560001/

Wow, that is even scarier than Covid as there is no vaccine. And with the "pond" a great mosquito habitat I would be afraid ...

Just now, Gramto6 said:

Wow, that is even scarier than Covid as there is no vaccine. And with the "pond" a great mosquito habitat I would be afraid ... and getting whoever does the spraying out there asap!

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I think BigDaddy is hamming it up for the cameras.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Worthy of notice for sure.  So is COVID.  27 deaths in a bad year vs 23,000 deaths so far.  You have to wonder why the regular hazards of plague bearing fleas, bacteria and everything else in the pond, plus the mosquitos don't get their attention. 

Odd how the supposedly COVID paranoid couple waltzed through the mall unmasked though.  

• Love 15
11 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Yuck!!!

Kootie is so worried about COVID that he forgot the real threat of West Nile Virus. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-science/2021/10/19/west-nile-virus-human-vaccine-mosquitos-arizona/6093560001/

True! I had a friend who got WNV in AZ and then wound up in a coma with locked in syndrome. He eventually died. And he was not swimming in a stupid drainage ditch when it happened. 

• Useful 2