Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E08: Billie Eilish

• Start Topic

I am loving the Christmas sketches -- refrigerator cards and especially the "Rear Window" communications that took so many dark turns for a Christmas dinner invite.  And then became an advert for "NextDoor" -- which is where the skeevy underside of so many neighborhoods is found.  

Next week with Paul Rudd is new -- are we getting *two* Christmas episodes this year?!  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 7

I'm liking Billie's first musical performance, but she's not even taking off her fake nails to play any of the characters.

So far, I really liked the TikTok sketch.  I laughed quite a bit and I don't even like TikTok.

Other than that, 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

It's nice to have Kate back.

Billie Eilish is an interesting (for lack of a better word) choice for host. My impression before tonight was that she was shy and  sorta awkward, and I still think that's right, but so far they are using her as well as possible. Sketches about TikTok and a hip hop nativity scene seem about right, I guess.  

• Love 3

Weekend update was really funny and Andrew Dismuskes (Spelling?) that bit was good.

I started laughing at the Sylvester Stallone and the closed captioning bit and I pretty much didn't stop.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

Cold Open: Kate's back! Er, Fauci's back! Loved seeing the CDC players again. Also loved the shots at the Cuomos. Chloe was great as Boebert, and could pull off a killer Tina Fey impression if she was ever given the opportunity.

Monologue: What an outfit Billie Eillish has on. I thought she did a pretty good monologue, the best part was the random dig as Colin. "Seen here watching other people go to prom." Is she the first host born after 9/11? A quick glance at Wikipedia says yes.

Christmas Cards: All of these were spot on, especially the dentist one. The Miley Cyrus cameo was hilarious, and oh god, the gross dog puppet was one of the grossest things this show's done in a while. Like, I was hoping it was fake.

TikTok: I'm too old for TikTok, but I thought this was all great. It reminded me of the SNL At Home episodes, they need to do more of these sketches. I love how this used everybody. I think Aidy's bits were my favorites. That Homer Simpson ASMR bit was nightmarish.

Nativity Pageant: This was awkward. I couldn't help but only look at Billie. She looked like she was filling in for Kate with that wig.

Lonely Christmas: I was thinking "okay, what's the twist?" and yep, bigoted and is creepy. This was really good. I was thinking after the cold open "the show really doesn't need Kate anymore," but sketches like this made me rethink this. No one BUT Kate could've pulled that off.

Billie Eillish 1: Aww, her parents introduced her. And I liked the shots of the audience during this. It might be the acoustics and the fact that I'm really tired, but I wasn't really feeling the song.

WU: Oh no, Anime NYC made it to Update (I went, had a good time, tested negative). The audience got a big laugh out of the Devin Nunes bit.

Punkie's bit was great. She and Che had such good chemistry. And I was dying at Andrew's animal segment. I was not expecting the dog to be real, of course it was having none of this and stared off anywhere else the whole time.

"Those two make quite a pair," said Cuomo to a female coworker. Damn, Che.

The Night I Met Santa: This was an odd one. Fun song, and I liked the aesthetics.

"You met THE Santa? Like, from The Bible?" was line of the sketch for me.

Kyle's Holiday: Loved this. Kyle was so great and awkward. I AM Kyle. "They don't know how to use me on the show." Damn. 

Business Garden Inn & Suites & Hotel Room Inn: A commercial for the worst, most generic hotel ever. I love it. Every single thing rang true. EVERYTHING. Especially the breakfast of wet eggs, cereal in gumball machine tubes, and yogurt in a fridge that gets padlocked at 8:59am. Nice seeing Finneas in an actual sketch (he was in the TikTok sketch too, I think?) 

I thought Billie Eillish did a good enough job here! Weird SNL came to play, especially during Christmas, and she was all in for everything. She's definitely gonna host again.

Next week Paul Rudd hosts the (other) Christmas show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Kate's back! Er, Fauci's back! Loved seeing the CDC players again. Also loved the shots at the Cuomos. Chloe was great as Boebert, and could pull off a killer Tina Fey impression if she was ever given the opportunity.

I actually thought Sarah Sherman really resembled Tina Fey at one point in the show.

2 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Business Garden Inn & Suites & Hotel Room Inn: A commercial for the worst, most generic hotel ever. I love it. Every single thing rang true. EVERYTHING. Especially the breakfast of wet eggs, cereal in gumball machine tubes, and yogurt in a fridge that gets padlocked at 8:59am. Nice seeing Finneas in an actual sketch (he was in the TikTok sketch too, I think?) 

This was good.

3 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

yogurt in a fridge that gets padlocked at 8:59am.

If you want yogurt, wake up at 4 AM, Bitch.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I thought Billie Eillish did a good enough job here!

Yeah, I thought so, too. They kept it all in her wheelhouse and didn't ask too much of her. It was better than I was expecting.

Andrew Dismukes is starting to show what he can do.  His segment was great, and he definitely sold that twerking Baby Jesus bit.  I hope he gets more to do as Chris Cuomo, who deserves some more shots.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Business Garden Inn & Suites & Hotel Room Inn: A commercial for the worst, most generic hotel ever. I love it. Every single thing rang true. EVERYTHING. Especially the breakfast of wet eggs, cereal in gumball machine tubes, and yogurt in a fridge that gets padlocked at 8:59 am

Someone on the writing staff has played Magic the Gathering. That was too perfect a reference. 

• Love 1

I thought the TikTok sketch was spot-on for capturing the TikTok experience (or the similar experience of YouTube Shorts, which are 90% stolen TikToks).  It was fun and funny.  I liked the running gag of the dad who wanted the trash taken out (who showed up in a TikTok).

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

This is exactly the hotel you stay at for traveling to the funeral of a dead relative in upstate New York, as they mentioned, and I thought they could have left it there.  But I thought it was unbelievably dark and crossed the line into bad taste to mention that it was good for the funeral of “the aunt who died in a wrong way crash on Taconic State Parkway” or whatever they said, since they seemed to be referencing that horrific crash where that alcoholic woman terrorized, then killed, her daughter and nieces (and others on the highway) about 12 years ago.  It really was a good sketch otherwise for capturing everything about that type of hotel experience.  That yogurt fridge has taunted me many a time.

”Happier than Ever” was on my Spotify most played list this year, so I especially enjoyed that performance.  I love the climax of that song.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

WU: Oh no, Anime NYC made it to Update (I went, had a good time, tested negative).

Went Friday and Saturday. Got a booster shot one week later. Less than a week after that, I heard the news. Low blow, Che. Low blow. Off-topic question: If you were on line that Friday, how long before you got in? I think my wait was three hours, and I was questioning my life decisions through most of that time.

Good episode. The bit with the cards seems like a cousin of the sketch with the unloved ornaments hung on the back of the tree.

20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Went Friday and Saturday. Got a booster shot one week later. Less than a week after that, I heard the news. Low blow, Che. Low blow. Off-topic question: If you were on line that Friday, how long before you got in? I think my wait was three hours, and I was questioning my life decisions through most of that time.

Only went Saturday and Sunday, I kept seeing and hearing horror stories about that line. I waited about an hour to get in on Saturday, but only 40 minutes after the con was supposed to open.

LOOOOVED Punky's bit on WU. 

Billie's first song was trying to give people seizures. 

I missed Cecily, but enjoyed having Kate back. Also glad to see Aidy again.

I liked most things well enough tonight. I think they've gotten out of the writing slump?

Kind of tired of Sad Sack Kyle sketches. Also starting to overdose on Colin jokes. 

What did BE's dad's tshirt say when he and her mom introduced her?

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, possibilities said:

LOOOOVED Punky's bit on WU. 

Billie's first song was trying to give people seizures. 

I liked most things well enough tonight. I think they've gotten out of the writing slump?

Kind of tired of Sad Sack Kyle sketches. Also starting to overdose on Colin jokes. 

Cecily Was Margaret Taylor Green ! 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, freddi said:

Next week with Paul Rudd is new -- are we getting *two* Christmas episodes this year?!  

Don't they do this every year?  This was a December show with Christmas content but I don't think it's THE Christmas show. I think next week is the official Christmas show with the cameos...etc.

Billie Eilish surprised me.  I thought she put on characters/accents really well.  She was very present and her delivery was pretty good.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

At first, I was actually starting to get unconsciously annoyed on Kyle’s behalf that no one who was staying in town or in the general area (for purposes of the sketch) bothered to invite him over to be part of their celebration (even if a coworker of mine were annoying, if I knew they were alone on Christmas and didn’t want to be, I would like to think that I would invite them over for at least a meal on Christmas).  Then, my conscious brain took over and was like, “it’s just a dumb ‘awkward humor’ sketch in that vein that Kyle never strays from” and I came back to my senses.  It took a weird turn with the odd vendetta against Mikey, but that felt like the freshest part.

Billie’s dad’s sweatshirt was blank.  Billie’s mom’s sweatshirt said, “Billie’s Mom.”

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 3

These  were meant to air at the end of the episode.

The Angelo reprisal wasn't anything that wonderful (although I do think Billie was fun in it), but this is my favorite of the Please Don't Destroy pieces so far. If they'd not let a few of the sketches overrun in a bloated way that could have made it on the air. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Maybe I have a brain cloud but this was my favorite episode of the year. I thought Billie was a fantastic host. Loose, relaxed, funny. I even watched and enjoyed her musical segments. I love how she wears baggy clothes unapologetically but looked just as comfortable dressed as Leslie D. I'm jealous of how self-possessed she is. How is it possible she's only 19? 

6 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Every single thing rang true. EVERYTHING. Especially the breakfast of wet eggs, cereal in gumball machine tubes, and yogurt in a fridge that gets padlocked at 8:59am. Nice seeing Finneas in an actual sketch (he was in the TikTok sketch too, I think?) 

I was crying. Best sketch of the night. Wait, that was her brother? 

I'd like to see the dog sketch again, only with Taco facing forward. It would have been even more hilarious. (You can't get good dog actors these days.) I actually know someone who bought those dog buttons - she needs to watch this. 

This was one of the few SNLs I'll probably rewatch sometime. 

• Love 11

Why was the audience cheering so hard during the hospital worker clips in the TikTok sketch?

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The bit with the cards seems like a cousin of the sketch with the unloved ornaments hung on the back of the tree.

I liked this one a lot better than the ornaments, although after a while I was staggered by the number of their friends whose card was a picture of themselves. (I would have liked to see a joke acknowledging how improbable that was.) I especially enjoyed Billie as the nasty high school friend.

2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

I actually know someone who bought those dog buttons - she needs to watch this. 

They exist?

7 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

It really was a good sketch otherwise for capturing everything about that type of hotel experience.  That yogurt fridge has taunted me many a time.

"Chair for suitcase" and "short glass wearing a little hat" amused me a lot, but the yogurt fridge, "we put the hospital in hospitality", and Trevor the bellhop flaking on providing the cocaine took it up a notch further.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Why was the audience cheering so hard during the hospital worker clips in the TikTok sketch?

Because Billie was starring in them, and dancing.  Her fans are insane.

The audience was laughing hysterically at things that weren't even jokes, like when Ego showed up simply wearing a Dentist's uniform.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The audience was laughing hysterically at things that weren't even jokes, like when Ego showed up simply wearing a Dentist's uniform.

Oh, I thought that was an appropriate laugh of gentle recognition that your dentist's office sends a card. They don't start until Ego identifies herself. 

That reminds me, I liked the CDC players despite (or perhaps because of) the fact it was so similar to the last version. Ego calling Bowen king delights me. And the unemployed Cuomo brothers were lovely. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Don't they do this every year?  This was a December show with Christmas content but I don't think it's THE Christmas show. I think next week is the official Christmas show with the cameos...etc.

Exactly. There's always more than one show in December, so there's going to be Christmas content spread out.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Cecily was there. I wondered why she wasn't in the singing sketch about Santa. That's her forte.

• Love 2

At first Kate's openly trying to make Billie break during the Hotel Ad sketch was a bit annoying, but Billie's giggling and powering through was so cute that I couldn't stay mad about it.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Billie’s dad’s sweatshirt was blank.

It was hard to read (grey on black) but her dad's shirt appeared to be "EVEN GOD HERSELF" which google suggests is official Billie Eilish merch?

Billie’s mom’s sweatshirt said, “Billie’s Mom.”

To compensate for the monologue shirt of Finneas' Mom.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

since they seemed to be referencing that horrific crash where that alcoholic woman terrorized, then killed, her daughter and nieces (and others on the highway) about 12 years ago.

you say this as if it's something everyone knows about.

• Love 4

I just read a comment elsewhere that made me realize why I kept thinking about ScarJo during Billie's monologue, especially during her Colin Jost jokes. Billie looks so much like her! It's weird that didn't hit me till just now. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

I kept thinking about ScarJo during Billie's monologue, especially during her Colin Jost jokes. Billie looks so much like her! It's weird that didn't hit me till just now. 

I kept thinking it WAS Scarlette Johannsen in the Christmas card sketch, when BE was wearing the long blonde wig.  They truly are twins separated at birth.  And close to 20 years. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The Angelo reprisal wasn't anything that wonderful (although I do think Billie was fun in it), but this is my favorite of the Please Don't Destroy pieces so far. If they'd not let a few of the sketches overrun in a bloated way that could have made it on the air. 

This Angelo sketch may not have broken a lot of new ground from the last one, but darned if I didn't laugh every time he (or Deb) sang "toniiiiiight". And indignant Cecily is always fun.

15 hours ago, freddi said:

I am loving the Christmas sketches -- refrigerator cards and especially the "Rear Window" communications that took so many dark turns for a Christmas dinner invite.  And then became an advert for "NextDoor" -- which is where the skeevy underside of so many neighborhoods is found.  

That's because the sketch was spoofing an actual commercial for NextDoor.  And in my neighborhood, it's the home of people terrified of each other.

As a former Lab owner, it was disappointing how much better the Golden Retriever was a few weeks ago.  And why get a black lab and then use brown fake paws?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

Maybe not everyone but this was very big news in the tristate area, so I think it’s weird that none of the writers, who are current events and pop culture savvy, were not aware.   It also made national news and was a “ripped from the headlines” plot line on Law and Order SVU.   

it was the first thing I thought of when I heard the remark too. And thought it was in poor taste since there were three details that matched exactly.  “wrong way” “aunt” “tacomic”.  They could have easily changed one or two of those details and you have the same joke. 

Edited by VanillaBeanne
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

There was an HBO documentary about the whole situation called “There’s Something Wrong with Aunt Diane” (which is what one of the nieces said to her father over the phone from the car while her aunt was driving them erratically before the wrong way crash).  That documentary was fairly well-publicized nationally, as was the initial accident just because it was such an egregious drunk driving case.  I just thought it was slightly weird to reference obliquely this kind of tragedy in a very funny sketch, but I guess it was probably subtle enough not to bother many.

• Useful 1
29 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

There was an HBO documentary about the whole situation called “There’s Something Wrong with Aunt Diane” (which is what one of the nieces said to her father over the phone from the car while her aunt was driving them erratically before the wrong way crash).  That documentary was fairly well-publicized nationally, as was the initial accident just because it was such an egregious drunk driving case.  I just thought it was slightly weird to reference obliquely this kind of tragedy in a very funny sketch, but I guess it was probably subtle enough not to bother many.

Was that in NY? I seem to remember something like that on the news.

It would probably have been better for them to leave that out since it involved children. I've never like Jon Benet "jokes," either. But wasn't that crash some years ago - in which case the sketch writers were probably children when it happened?

• Love 2

It was twelve years ago and in NY.  The writers would have to be all under 22 for me to think they were not aware of it.  Plus, if they weren’t aware of the tragedy or forgot about it, how random and unlikely would it be for them to nail three key details - as the crash involved an aunt driving with her nieces the wrong way on the Tacomic Parkway, which is one of at least twenty highways in the area.  The odds of them not being aware of it seem low.  Especially since these are writers in a medium where they need to have a knowledge of culture and news as that is what their comedic oberservations are coming from.  

honestly, its not like I’m outraged that I’m not gonna watch the show.  I just think it was odd that they used that tragedy for comedy since there was not much in that situation that needed to be poked fun at.  It just seemed mean and unnecessary.  it really was a funny skit and a very funny episode over all. 

Edited by VanillaBeanne
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

This Angelo sketch may not have broken a lot of new ground from the last one, but darned if I didn't laugh every time he (or Deb) sang "toniiiiiight". And indignant Cecily is always fun.

I did enjoy Aristotle, and Billie, and Cecily had some laughs (I enjoyed that she thought Billie was "checking" on them due to the pandemic). It's more that so much of the sketch became "Mikey reacts." I like Mikey well enough but any time they put him in that role it starts to kill the humor for me. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Thalia said:

I kept thinking it WAS Scarlette Johannsen in the Christmas card sketch, when BE was wearing the long blonde wig.  They truly are twins separated at birth.  And close to 20 years. 

I made a comment on that in this forum the first time Eilish was on SNL, as the musical guest.  I'm glad other people are seeing it also, they really do look a lot alike.

I thought Billie did a good job as host, aside from the nervous giggling, which was a bit amateurish.  But they've never held that against Jimmy Fallon, so there you go.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

His balls were as big as grapes? Did "Santa" misspeak the line and was to supposed to say grapefruit?

Andrew Dismukes as Chris Cuomo. Uh, sorry, no. He may be sketchy AF but Chris Cuomo is handsome. (Unless that was part of the shade, to have a not particularly good-looking guy play him, in which case, nm.)

Nice shot at Colin Jost in the opening monologue. (And I also just noticed that Billie resembles Scarlett Johansson, minus 15 years or so.)

That product placement for TikTok was on point.

Meh on WU except for the part with Taco the dog speaking by pressing word buttons with his tail. I was hoping Bowen would do a bit on US' diplomatic boycott of the Olympics. His shit-talking Chinese diplomat cracks me up.

I didn't realize how voluptuous Billie is. Wonder if that's why she wears the baggy clothes? Whatever, that Santa song certainly took a turn and then swung back around.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

This is exactly the hotel you stay at for traveling to the funeral of a dead relative in upstate New York, as they mentioned, and I thought they could have left it there.  But I thought it was unbelievably dark and crossed the line into bad taste to mention that it was good for the funeral of “the aunt who died in a wrong way crash on Taconic State Parkway” or whatever they said, since they seemed to be referencing that horrific crash where that alcoholic woman terrorized, then killed, her daughter and nieces (and others on the highway) about 12 years ago.  It really was a good sketch otherwise for capturing everything about that type of hotel experience.  That yogurt fridge has taunted me many a time.

I thought that was in really bad taste.  And I’m a “go for anything” in your jokes type of person, nothing is off limits.  But that was weird and not funny.

15 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I liked this one a lot better than the ornaments, although after a while I was staggered by the number of their friends whose card was a picture of themselves. (I would have liked to see a joke acknowledging how improbable that was.) I especially enjoyed Billie as the nasty high school friend.

They exist?

Oh it’s probable!  Every single Christmas card I get has photos of the family.  Or parents and pets.  And I get so many I can’t even put them all up.  

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

His balls were as big as grapes? Did "Santa" misspeak the line and was to supposed to say grapefruit?

I think that’s part of the joke.  Like how small were they before??

Other than the cold open (didn’t find it funny, surprised snl is sticking with the Fauchi bits), I actually laughed through the whole entire show, like out loud.  It was a good show overalll!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1