Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E08: Billie Eilish

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Andrew Dismukes as Chris Cuomo. Uh, sorry, no. He may be sketchy AF but Chris Cuomo is handsome. (Unless that was part of the shade, to have a not particularly good-looking guy play him, in which case, nm.)

I've always thought Andrew Dismukes is cute.  There's something about his mouth, the same as Tim Daly (Wings) and Chris Eigeman (Gilmore Girls).  Like they have braces, but they don't.  Anyway, looks-wise, I'd take Andrew Dismukes over Chris Cuomo any day--Cuomo has a jug head that I find unattractive.

12 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meh on WU except for the part with Taco the dog speaking by pressing word buttons with his tail.

That's funny.  Those were his paws, but the dog kept facing sideways instead of forward.  As @Melina22 pointed out, it can be hard to get good dog actors these days.  I wonder if it's because they're all so spoiled and therefore don't take direction well.  😀

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Kyle Mooney is waaay past his expiration date. Fred Armisen must have gifted him the pictures of Lorne and dead hookers . . .

Ha! I was coming here to post that Kyle's awkward cast member bits have finally won me over. Can't explain it, but I'm a fan. 

I agree that the hotel joke about the aunt who crashed on the Taconic was not cool. It's an old story but still. The joke was so specific--it would have worked better had they not referenced that very gruesome, tragic, horrific case. Otherwise I found that sketch pretty funny. 

• Love 4
On 12/11/2021 at 11:02 PM, Galileo908 said:

Lonely Christmas: I was thinking "okay, what's the twist?" and yep, bigoted and is creepy. This was really good. I was thinking after the cold open "the show really doesn't need Kate anymore," but sketches like this made me rethink this. No one BUT Kate could've pulled that off.

I actually think Sarah or Melissa could have brought some same energy, but I do have to admit that Kate did a great job and got me to put away my pitchfork that I dug out of the hall closet during the cold open (I set it down during her Christmas Card skit).

I'm cool if Kate decides to spend the season popping in for a few shows and primarily doing characters in skits, but I'm over her political impressions, her Update characters, and especially her update characters on Update.

Outside of the Cold Open I really liked this episode. The young cast is bringing it!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I'm cool if Kate decides to spend the season popping in for a few shows and primarily doing characters in skits, but I'm over her political impressions...

Somehow, when Aidy plays Ted Cruz, I don't get the message that I'm supposed to think it's funny just because a woman is playing a man, but when Kate plays Fauci, Giuliani, et. al., I do. And it isn't.

• Love 3
On 12/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Andrew Dismukes as Chris Cuomo. Uh, sorry, no. He may be sketchy AF but Chris Cuomo is handsome. (Unless that was part of the shade, to have a not particularly good-looking guy play him, in which case, nm.)

Aristotle probably would have been a closer physical match to Chris, but I wonder if they had Andrew in the role because he looks more like Pete. 

I was just glad they didn't go to town on prosthetics for once.

11 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Ha! I was coming here to post that Kyle's awkward cast member bits have finally won me over. Can't explain it, but I'm a fan. 

I agree that the hotel joke about the aunt who crashed on the Taconic was not cool. It's an old story but still. The joke was so specific--it would have worked better had they not referenced that very gruesome, tragic, horrific case. Otherwise I found that sketch pretty funny. 

I'm fond of Kyle, but I've been hit or miss on the backstage pieces for a while. I think the last two I liked were when he was playing the new featured player and when he and Issa Rae were trying to be Bieber's background dancers. I was pleasantly surprised to mostly enjoy this new one too - I think the turn into his insane fantasies about Mikey made it feel fresh. That and having some newer cast members involved, like Bowen and Punkie.

I have to admit I didn't even notice that reference in the hotel sketch until I came here. Those pieces are so much word salad, they tend to wash over me. I do think Kate and Billie were a good duo there. I remember seeing that documentary on HBO and being incredibly disturbed by it so I'm glad I didn't catch the reference. 

• Love 3
On 12/12/2021 at 12:50 AM, possibilities said:

Billie's first song was trying to give people seizures. 

I was brushing my dog while she was singing, but I happened to look up when the strobe lights were going on, and I thought of seizures asl well.

I have to keep reminding myself that Billie is very young so I don't get overly critical of her sketch performances. She wasn't bad, but I didn't think she was all that good either. However, if this is the first time she has acted, then she did all right.

I didn't like the hip hop nativity rehearsal sketch. It was a one-joke sketch. Plus, I'm not a fan of twerking. 

The TikTok sketch was fun. There was a lot going on, which warrants a rewatch. (Except for the twerking.)

This is how out of touch I am with pop culture. I 100% thought Billie Eilish was from the UK until she started talking lol.

Edited by cleo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2021 at 12:02 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Kate's back! Er, Fauci's back! Loved seeing the CDC players again. Also loved the shots at the Cuomos. Chloe was great as Boebert, and could pull off a killer Tina Fey impression if she was ever given the opportunity.

Monologue: What an outfit Billie Eillish has on. I thought she did a pretty good monologue, the best part was the random dig as Colin. "Seen here watching other people go to prom." Is she the first host born after 9/11? A quick glance at Wikipedia says yes.

Christmas Cards: All of these were spot on, especially the dentist one. The Miley Cyrus cameo was hilarious, and oh god, the gross dog puppet was one of the grossest things this show's done in a while. Like, I was hoping it was fake.

TikTok: I'm too old for TikTok, but I thought this was all great. It reminded me of the SNL At Home episodes, they need to do more of these sketches. I love how this used everybody. I think Aidy's bits were my favorites. That Homer Simpson ASMR bit was nightmarish.

Nativity Pageant: This was awkward. I couldn't help but only look at Billie. She looked like she was filling in for Kate with that wig.

Lonely Christmas: I was thinking "okay, what's the twist?" and yep, bigoted and is creepy. This was really good. I was thinking after the cold open "the show really doesn't need Kate anymore," but sketches like this made me rethink this. No one BUT Kate could've pulled that off.

Billie Eillish 1: Aww, her parents introduced her. And I liked the shots of the audience during this. It might be the acoustics and the fact that I'm really tired, but I wasn't really feeling the song.

WU: Oh no, Anime NYC made it to Update (I went, had a good time, tested negative). The audience got a big laugh out of the Devin Nunes bit.

Punkie's bit was great. She and Che had such good chemistry. And I was dying at Andrew's animal segment. I was not expecting the dog to be real, of course it was having none of this and stared off anywhere else the whole time.

"Those two make quite a pair," said Cuomo to a female coworker. Damn, Che.

The Night I Met Santa: This was an odd one. Fun song, and I liked the aesthetics.

"You met THE Santa? Like, from The Bible?" was line of the sketch for me.

Kyle's Holiday: Loved this. Kyle was so great and awkward. I AM Kyle. "They don't know how to use me on the show." Damn. 

Business Garden Inn & Suites & Hotel Room Inn: A commercial for the worst, most generic hotel ever. I love it. Every single thing rang true. EVERYTHING. Especially the breakfast of wet eggs, cereal in gumball machine tubes, and yogurt in a fridge that gets padlocked at 8:59am. Nice seeing Finneas in an actual sketch (he was in the TikTok sketch too, I think?) 

I thought Billie Eillish did a good enough job here! Weird SNL came to play, especially during Christmas, and she was all in for everything. She's definitely gonna host again.

Next week Paul Rudd hosts the (other) Christmas show.

I Thought OF Santa's My Boyfriend When They Were Singing When I Met Santa ! Who Is Finneas ? Is He That New Member Who Plays Antonio ?

On 12/12/2021 at 6:13 AM, Melina22 said:

Maybe I have a brain cloud but this was my favorite episode of the year. I thought Billie was a fantastic host. Loose, relaxed, funny. I even watched and enjoyed her musical segments. I love how she wears baggy clothes unapologetically but looked just as comfortable dressed as Leslie D. I'm jealous of how self-possessed she is. How is it possible she's only 19? 

I was crying. Best sketch of the night. Wait, that was her brother? 

I'd like to see the dog sketch again, only with Taco facing forward. It would have been even more hilarious. (You can't get good dog actors these days.) I actually know someone who bought those dog buttons - she needs to watch this. 

This was one of the few SNLs I'll probably rewatch sometime. 

You Enjoyed That First Song ? I Did NOT Care For That Last Part OF The Song And I Think Other People Did NOT Like That First Song ! I DID Think She Was Good In The Sketches Though !