Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Whimsy

S01.E10: Possession

Hetty accidentally possesses Jay's body just as he and Sam are to about show Woodstone Mansion to a renowned wedding planner.

Original airdate 12/9/21

• Love 2

On 12/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, Whimsy said:

Hetty accidentally possesses Jay's body just as he and Sam are to about show Woodstone Mansion to a renowned wedding planner.

Original airdate 12/9/21

I think the episode number should be 1:10.  1:09 was Alberta's Fan

• Love 2

Really funny. I enjoyed the ghosts’ discussion of the fact they can go through walls but not fall through the floor. They signposted the possession solution early with the ghosts not able to leave the property but I didn’t clue in that that was going to be the solution to get Hetty out of Jay

• Love 24

Best line of the night was, IMO, Hetty saying that if women could have orgasms, this is what they would feel like!

The men's comedy acting categories at the Emmys have had weak lineups lately. I don't know if Utkarsh Ambudkar would be considered lead or supporting, but either way, he'll be totally deserving of a nomination if he gets one.

Hetty really should have known something was up when the pigeon-guy responded to her. That said, they definitely chose the correct character for a body-swap episode. Thorfinn would have been the most obvious choice, because of his over-the-top personality and his ability to conduct electricity, but I'm glad they went in a more challenging direction.

• Love 22

10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I enjoyed the ghosts’ discussion of the fact they can go through walls but not fall through the floor.

They hit this on the UK show, too, but it was much more of a one liner, something about being able to sit in chairs.  I'm glad they finally got to it here.  I did love how Jay/Hetty kept walking into closed doors. 

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

My favorite part was when Hetty was thrown from the fast moving car, if she wasn't already dead, she would have been.

And not a hair out of place!  There are advantages to being a ghost. 

It's a shame that Jay wasn't able to see/hear the other ghosts while he was Hetty. 

I like that they chose Hetty for this swap.  She's the one character that has remained most fixed from an ideological standpoint.  Sasappis is downright modern, with Alberta in a close second.  Thorfinn isn't quite "modern", but has certainly come a long way.  Isaac is a mixed bag (in so many ways).  But Hetty has seemed to stay put with her ideas, standards, etc.  Until now.

• Love 22

I'm glad Jay got to "hear" Hetty's voice. He's been the left-out one, and now he knows what one of them sounds like!

Also, Flower's power (heh) is pretty groovy. I wouldn't mind if she walked through me!

Enrico Colantoni (as the wedding planner) was also quite enjoyable! And despite their initial horror at the idea of turning the house into a hotel/B&B, the ghosts sure seem happy about having a wedding there. I would LOVE to see them all dance.

• Love 20

It's funny, I thought this series started out  fairly weak but it has just grown stronger with every episode, and I think this one was the best one yet. 

Utkarsh Ambudkar was hilarious.

Don't try saying that name three times fast. But yes, he really nailed it. He was perfect at channeling "Hetty" with the mannerisms and voice. It's too bad he probably won't get any recognition from the Emmys or other award shows because they all go to streaming and pay cable shows these days.

I'll be watching this one again. So many great lines, but Utkarsh Ambudkar's performance was the highlight. It was funny, and yet - there is always a rather poignant moment too, like when Hetty realizes how much she missed out on in life. 

Enrico Colantoni (as the wedding planner) was also quite enjoyable! 

It was driving me crazy where I knew him from . . . he was Mathesar on Galaxy Quest!

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 18
  • Useful 2

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It was driving me crazy where I knew him from . . . he was Mathesar on Galaxy Quest!

"Just Shoot Me" for me :D. 

5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Best line of the night was, IMO, Hetty saying that if women could have orgasms, this is what they would feel like!

That was great XD. 

• Love 14

12 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Isaac's amusement at everything is the best. 

I love Isaac. This show can sometimes get quite sentimental; I'm looking forward to his reactions to the first loving gay couple to come to the B&B (male, to enhance his relatability). I think the actor would be able to nail the conflicting emotions that could come out of that kind of encounter.

• Love 17

Utkarsh's performance didn't land for me, he was too exuberant and pitched his voice too high. It was as if he were possessed by Mrs. Doubtfire rather than Hetty.

• Love 4
  • Laugh 2

I went back and forth with Utkarsh's performance as Hetty. Sometimes I loved it and sometimes I felt it was too over the top. But he did a great job morphing from one to the next as Hetty took back over. 

Hetty getting flung through the car at the ghost barrier, flying through the air in a seated position until she hit the ground, was hilarious. I also liked to see how the barrier worked with Flower. I wonder how far the property line extends? Sam and the afternoon walk gang seem to go pretty far away from the house. 

Sassapis, Trevor, Isaac, and Pete watching Hetty/Jay was hilarious. Pete is right, a death manual would be extremely helpful. And Isaac telling the story of possessing a man was hilarious.

I'm also amazed at the 180 I've done on Trevor. I almost loathed him in the beginning, he seemed like a caricature of a douchey 90s bro, but he's come so far for me. I always look to see what he's doing in any scene he's in, the actor has great mannerisms. They really did a fantastic job casting each character, they are all so fun. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 19

55 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Utkarsh's performance didn't land for me, he was too exuberant and pitched his voice too high. It was as if he were possessed by Mrs. Doubtfire rather than Hetty.

The voice was definitely too high. Rebecca Wisocky's voice is pretty deep and throaty.

I'm guessing he was directed to do the falsetto for maximum silliness, rather than accuracy. But everything else about it struck me as accurate.

• Love 6

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I went back and forth with Utkarsh's performance as Hetty. Sometimes I loved it and sometimes I felt it was too over the top. But he did a great job morphing from one to the next as Hetty took back over

I think this would have worked better in an hour-long (42 minute) show than a half-hour (17 minute) show because they needed enough time for the Hetty-Jay, back-and-forth bits. 
But the writing, acting, CGI, etc. were all top notch.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
  • Useful 2

On 12/10/2021 at 10:05 AM, chaifan said:

It's a shame that Jay wasn't able to see/hear the other ghosts while he was Hetty

Really valid point. Why wouldn’t she (and Jay) attend to them. For that matter, why didn’t the other ghosts address her (Jay) directly during the possession? At least then, Jay would have had benefit of knowing what they all look and sound like. I feel like he was deprived!

• Love 4

2 hours ago, Daff said:

Really valid point. Why wouldn’t she (and Jay) attend to them. For that matter, why didn’t the other ghosts address her (Jay) directly during the possession? At least then, Jay would have had benefit of knowing what they all look and sound like. I feel like he was deprived!

Even though we didn't see Jay noticing the other ghosts when he was possessed by Hetty, I think there's plenty of room story-wise for Jay to have flashbacks in future episodes of glimpses or whispers of the other ghosts.

I'm not very familiar with accepted lore regarding possession or ghosts, but isn't there a thing where the possessed person is not completely exorcised?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

He was also Carl Elias on Person of Interest and Sgt. Gregory Parker on Flashpoint. Not to mention guest spots on many, many other shows.

• Love 8
  • Useful 1

Enrico Colantoni!!!!!   Love him.   

I've liked this show in general but this episode really, really, really tickled me.  I laughed out loud a few times especially when Hetty had trouble with doors because physical humor but also because, yes, she would be so used to not being stopped by doors.

I didn't mind at all the over the top moments because Hetty had food and feeling for the first time in years she'd be exuberant and over the top.  

And Hetty missing the other ghosts when she couldn't see them was a lovely moment.   

Also my sister who is 99 percent healthy eatng choices all the time has a hot Cheetos addiction that I only learned about a few weeks ago so Hetty being lured by the possibility of hot Cheetos was even funnier to me.

• Love 17
  • Laugh 3

7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Yes, but I didn't even recognize him. Did he have a hat on the whole time? He's such a great actor, in part because he manages to fly under the radar as barely a H!ITG! when the part calls for it.

• Love 6

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Yes, but I didn't even recognize him. Did he have a hat on the whole time?

No

• Useful 3

11 hours ago, bybrandy said:

OMG. Didn’t click with me either (loved POI and Flashpoint). Must go view again!

• Love 6

On 12/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, nora1992 said:

If I were in the academy, I’d vote for Jay for an Emmy based on the first 5 minutes 

I can’t remember the last show where someone’s physical comedy seemed so effortless!  An unnatural plot device, he made it seem so natural.  

Yes, it was like the episode of Frasier that had Niles ironing his pants and the chaos that ensued. I think he won an Emmy for that performance. 

• Love 4
  • Laugh 7

1 hour ago, PattyorSelma said:

Yes, it was like the episode of Frasier that had Niles ironing his pants and the chaos that ensued. I think he won an Emmy for that performance. 

My favorite episode! With "Flight of the Bumblebee" playing in the background😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 8

Jay-as-Hetty with the anti-Irish slurs to poor Mr. Murphy the pigeon guy really amused me far more than I should admit. Utkarsh's delivery was just golden as Hetty suddenly able to interact (read: slander) with those Irish again. 

• Love 12

It is comical that she's retained her urge to mock the Irish despite having haunted on seemingly good terms with Alberta and Sassapis for many decades. Not to mention actually occupying the body of (presumably) an Indian-American man at the time she's mocking him!

• Love 2

I felt  bad for the guy receiving her vitriol, though, and it would wreck the reputation of Sam and Jay and the B&B in no time flat because in a small town situation like that, you alienate a contractor, and you're done.

• Love 5

11 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I felt  bad for the guy receiving her vitriol, though, and it would wreck the reputation of Sam and Jay and the B&B in no time flat because in a small town situation like that, you alienate a contractor, and you're done.

Did the pigeon catcher/pest control guy seem more puzzled than offended? Because I'm not sure "No Irish Need Apply" signs have been around for a few generations. 
Also, I think the name on the truck was "Murphy's..." but the pigeon catcher could have been a Smith or a Cohen or a Russo.

• Love 9
  • Useful 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:30 PM, AncientNewbie said:

Jay-as-Hetty with the anti-Irish slurs to poor Mr. Murphy

My husband is from Ireland and I now use the potato joke every time we get in his truck.  The Irish are generally very well humored.

• Love 9

On 12/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, DanielleBowden said:

My husband is from Ireland and I now use the potato joke every time we get in his truck.  The Irish are generally very well humored.

They have reached the point that I hope someday all minorities (or once minorities) reach: many years beyond the bad stuff so that the jokes feel as innocuous as knock-knock jokes. I thought it was clever of this show to show Hetty’s prejudice against the Irish. In 2021 it’s almost hard to believe that this was once a prevailing sentiment. 

• Love 2
  • Useful 3

On 12/17/2021 at 9:58 AM, mojito said:

Hetty, taking stock of her possession of Jay's body, detects something waaaay different.

"That's not mine."

That was golden!

• Love 2