Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Alberta's Fan

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Alberta is thrilled when a super-fan of her music visits the mansion to learn more about her. Also, Thor convinces Hetty to go on a walk with him in hopes that it will spark a special memory, on the CBS Original series GHOSTS, Thursday, Dec. 2 (9:01-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

Definitely a fun and sweet episode

52 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I missed some of it. Who is the child Thorfinn was singing to when Hetty had the flashback?

The child of one of the workmen, maybe the foreman?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I missed some of it. Who is the child Thorfinn was singing to when Hetty had the flashback?

Little David is the son of the contractor Mark. He's the one they talk to about construction work, such as in Viking Funeral, and when they discovered the shed full of British soldiers. Mark brought his child to work because his wife is out of town for a few days. I guess the kid just hangs out where no dangerous construction is taking place.

I did like Hetty and Thorfinn's story, and him turning out to be "Gordon." I love that Alberta is now famous and that she made those comments about racism to remind us how hard life would have been in the 1920s. She's apparently right about being murdered, if Todd's comment about strychnine in the moonshine is right.

Edited by Cress
more commentary
  • Useful 2
  • Love 19
24 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I hated the idea that a chef would believe that the day chicken hits its expiration date, it immediately becomes toxic.

So did I.  If the chicken had been the source of the historian's illness, it might have been because they didn't cook it long enough, because he was in a hurry for food.  Poultry really needs to be cooked throughly to kill any salmonella or whatever.

Did anyone mention recordings of Alberta singing?  They might have inspired a mini retrospective of her work.

Interesting that (some) children can see ghosts.  Future plot point?

• Love 16

Aww, Hetty and Thorfinn. This show really manages to bring some touching moments. 

The bit at the end when he tried singing to Hatty again, lol. "No, it's weird now." "Haha, Thorfinn feel it too!"

Poor Alberta...what a rollercoaster for her. From a historian with a museum, to a stalker with toe nails. But at least she gets some validation on her potential murder. And more exploration of her life and death, plus people giving her some great recognition.

The chicken expiration date didn't really make sense. 

The guy at the end helping them carry the creepo out...lol. Jay and Sam's oddness must be generating some fun gossip in the town.

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

"Well, if you're excited about being murdered, I am excited for you!" LOL, Pete.

Also loved Isaac mocking the historian. I especially loved his reaction to the guy mentioning the Alberta museum would be in his garage. "As all great museums are." I did love him apologizing to Alberta later, though. It was nice to see them sharing a friendly moment together :). 

Snarky Isaac is just the best. "You're down here? I thought I just saw you upstairs." Lol.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, CrazyDog said:

The guy at the end helping them carry the creepo out...lol. Jay and Sam's oddness must be generating some fun gossip in the town.

LOL, yes, his reaction to helping them was great. I also liked the EMTs chewing Jay and Sam out for moving the guy in the first place. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Did anyone mention recordings of Alberta singing?  They might have inspired a mini retrospective of her work.

When they were looking at the comments online re the news about the fan, I think one comment was “I’m listening to Alberta’s album”.   It’s nice that she is still known at least by some people.  

I love this show so much.  Thorfinn’s lullabies actually made me tear up.  And Hetty saying he was there for her when no one else was.  

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I hated the idea that a chef would believe that the day chicken hits its expiration date, it immediately becomes toxic.

Thank you.  I was yelling at the tv that it's still can be eaten!

7 hours ago, Cress said:

In the promo for the next episode, it looks like Jay gets electrocuted. Maybe that means he'll be able to see and hear the ghosts?

Hopefully.  It's silly when Sam is laughing or joking with the ghosts and he's just sitting there.

The thing with Thorfinn and Hetty was so cute but they are ghosts. They can't smell so the joke about Thorfinn's pelt didn't make sense.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also glad that the chicken wasn't what made the guy sick.

I don't know why they were so worried about the chicken. It wasn't even past the date. It was the date.  They should have wanted to cook it so they didn't have to throw it away.

8 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I hadn't thought about the older ghosts watching Hetty grow up. I hope they explore that more with some of the other ghosts. It was really sweet.

I think it would just be Thor and Joseph.

37 minutes ago, greekmom said:

The thing with Thorfinn and Hetty was so cute but they are ghosts. They can't smell so the joke about Thorfinn's pelt didn't make sense.

They smelled the stuff that Sam was throwing around to ward off evil spirits in the pilot.

• Love 9

One thing that just occurred to me: would Jay have known that was Alberta’s face on the tattoo?  Are there any pictures?  Just wondering if there is a deleted scene of him realizing that now he knows what Alberta looks like.

• Useful 6
  • Love 7

11 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I hadn't thought about the older ghosts watching Hetty grow up. I hope they explore that more with some of the other ghosts. It was really sweet.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

think it would just be Thor and Joseph.

And Isaac.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, Driad said:

I was wondering that too: these days, people have excavated all kinds of old recordings and transferred them to electronic media (and cleaned them up.) There could be entire channels about Alberta on YouTube! Or boutique vinyl record labels selling her complete works for big bucks!

Also, travel agents still exist! They are used all the time by people who don't have the time to chase down great deals online. Pete would probably be working for American Express or some high-end travel company or hotel.

One of the things a real B&B like that would do is have specialty rooms: named after famous people who died there, with artifacts and themed decor. (Especially if it was a mysterious or violent death). The Lizzie Borden House is a B&B and the restaurant/lodge where John Dillinger was shot is kept to period detail to this day.

Oh, and "Gordon" and Hetty...so sweet. I love the pivots on this show. (And that the little kid called Thorfin a "pirate.")

• Love 16
On 12/3/2021 at 10:24 AM, kwnyc said:

Oh, and "Gordon" and Hetty...so sweet. I love the pivots on this show. (And that the little kid called Thorfin a "pirate.")

Isaac.

On 12/3/2021 at 7:19 AM, Katy M said:

Thor and Sasappis. (And Isaac.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Katy M said:
11 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

There is no ghost named Joseph, the Native American ghost is Sassapis. Isaac and the plague ghosts would also have been around.

8 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

The kid referred to Isaac as the pirate because of what he wears.

I liked the scene where Hetty was walking fast to get away from Thorfin, where in the earlier scene she said she couldn't walk fast because she died wearing heels.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, nora1992 said:

One thing that just occurred to me: would Jay have known that was Alberta’s face on the tattoo?  Are there any pictures?  Just wondering if there is a deleted scene of him realizing that now he knows what Alberta looks like.

I think he could have deduced from context whose face that was.

18 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Oh, and "Gordon" and Hetty...so sweet. I love the pivots on this show.

Yes, especially since I was originally wondering if Thorfinn was unhappy because he had a romantic interest in Hetty, which wouldn't add to the show.

• Love 14

This was a really sweet episode, and it was great to have Hetty and Thor back. "Children under the age of seven aren't suitable for manual labor." All the escalating weirdness with Todd was hysterical. 

I hated the idea that a chef would believe that the day chicken hits its expiration date, it immediately becomes toxic.

Yeah, that bugged me too. It was only "sell by" on that day so what's the problem? Even if it's a couple days after that, so long as you cook it you're fine. And a chef should know that.

There is no ghost named Joseph, the Native American ghost is Sassapis. 

What's the name of the headless ghost?

• Love 10

I also thought they were going down a romantic road with Thor and Hetty and wasn't a big fan. The payoff was so sweet and unexpected.  This show is the best.  I laugh out loud all the time.  The historian going off the rails so spectacularly was hysterical. Isaac with his snarkiness (oh I thought you were upstairs).  Now, Thor with his softer side. Swoon!  I love the ghosts so much.

Edited by DanielleBowden
  • Love 22

Isaac would also be around when Hetty was growing up.  She's from the 19th century; he's from the 18th century.  

Maybe the show was subtly trying to prevent someone at home to pull out some old chicken from the frig and think to themselves, "well they cooked it on Ghosts, so it must be okay".  

I do love this show and hope it's renewed.  Any one know how many episodes is a 'full season' at CBS?

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, that bugged me too. It was only "sell by" on that day so what's the problem? Even if it's a couple days after that, so long as you cook it you're fine. And a chef should know that.

The chicken was definitely still safe, but a professional chef is probably trained to not take any chances with food safety, so would be cautious about using food on the expiration date. Especially when serving to the public.

• Love 17

Awwwww, Hetty & Thor ended up being so sweet together!  I loved them having that connection, even if Hetty didn't remembered it right away.

And Alberta's super-fan was both creepy and kinda awesome, since he not only vindicated her belief that she was murdered but also drew attention to her talent and career.

I am so loving this show.

13 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I liked the shoutout about Altoona.  The Railroaders museum there is worth of visit, but the town will never compete with New Orleans on jazz.

Thorfinn and Hetty - so sweet!  Those lyrics 😊

My brother took his honeymoon there specifically for the museum.  Yeah, he's divorced now.

4 hours ago, greekmom said:

They can't smell so the joke about Thorfinn's pelt didn't make sense.

Isaac's ghost power involves a seriously bad smell which they've all reacted to at one point or another.  So they can smell.  Just not touch anything.

3 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I just thought he assumed that it must be Alberta since the man was such a huge fan of hers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8

Totally agree with all the love for the show and specifically this episode expressed upthread.
For me a highlight was Danielle Pinnock/Alberta's expressions of pure joy at the end -- perhaps because I can personally relate to high-low mood swings in relation to perceived self-worth based upon the opinions of others.

45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
14 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I liked the shoutout about Altoona.  The Railroaders museum there is worth of visit...

My brother took his honeymoon there specifically for the museum.  Yeah, he's divorced now.

LOL!😆 Any chance your brother might appreciate that we are amused at his past's expense?
Having known some hardcore railroaders (not too different from Alberta's crazy fan), I guess maybe not. 
Let's just keep it to ourselves.
Hee hee. 
Great place-name drop by the writers. They do the details so well!

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know why they were so worried about the chicken. It wasn't even past the date. It was the date.  They should have wanted to cook it so they didn't have to throw it away.

1 hour ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

The chicken was definitely still safe, but a professional chef is probably trained to not take any chances with food safety, so would be cautious about using food on the expiration date. Especially when serving to the public.

Although I'm not a ghost or a chef, I am old have have cooked and eaten a lot of chicken, and once was very ill from one of those supermarket rotisserie chickens
--which is all to say:

1. Smell the raw chicken to be sure it's not "off"
  2. Make sure the cooked chicken is not pink
    And maybe:
  3. If they ever start serving meals with choices on airplanes again, I believe the beef is a safer bet than the chicken.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

The kid referred to Isaac as the pirate because of what he wears.

Damn his ruffly colonial garb. 

Awww what a sweet episode, I loved finding out about the backstory between Hetty and Thorfinn, it totally makes sense that the older ghosts would remember seeing Hetty grow up. Another really good episode, it jumped so quickly between wacky comedy and really sweet sincerity so easily. 

The "historian" getting weirder and weirder was until he revealed the toenails was hilarious, especially with Isaac's snarky commentary. Then they actually ended up having a nice moment and Alberta found out that she really has been remembered AND she was probably murdered! Vindication at last. I love Alberta so I am glad that she got such a good focus episode and that things needed on a high note for her. Pun intended. 

Sam and Jay should consider focusing on how many historical events have happened at the house for marketing their B&B, even do some decorative theming around it and the artifacts they have. You have Alberta dying there, who was apparently a decently famous singer, at some point the continental army was stationed in the area, they found two thousand year old Viking bones on the property (although those are currently at the bottom of their pond) and there could possibly still be some Viking or Native American artifacts around, they could even try to make it a historical site. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

They should have just said that the chicken was past the expiration date, but not wildly so. 

I enjoyed this episode, which was very sweet. But part of me feels like the show is becoming a Disney-fied version of the British original.

I don't want it to become overly formulaic, with each episode featuring a ghost having a "my life was a lie/failure" crisis, only to find out in the end that they really had a major impact after all.

I wish Ghosts could lend B Positive some of its cheerful humor.

• Love 7

Thorfinn and Hetty - so sweet!  Those lyrics

Anyone jot down the lyrics to Thor's "lullaby?" It was hilarious. 

I thought it was interesting the episode was more or less devoted to Alberta but we never found out why she was there when she died. I understand why Hetty, Thor, Pete, Isaac and Sasappis were there, but what was Alberta doing on the property at the time, and will they ever reveal who murdered her? It feels like this only touched on her backstory. 

• Love 5

Thorfinn's lullaby belongs to the category of "songs to be sung to babies who are too young to understand the words."  Another is Rock-A-Bye Baby: "When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall ..."

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

I had the same idea as others about a "themed" B&B, featuring "famous" people who died there.  It would be fun for the show to go with this.  As they get to renovating the upstairs bedrooms, each ghost could contribute to their own room.  That would make for some funny moments, especially with Thorfinn and Sasappis. 

I do like that they incorporated the idea of children sometimes being able to see ghosts.  While I don't believe in ghosts, that would certainly explain a whole lot of kids really not liking dark basements!  Can you imagine running into the plague ghosts?  I hope they don't do that to the contractor's kid...  but I wonder if they will work him into conversations with Sam about the various ghosts in the house.  That could be interesting a) for the ghosts to have someone else to talk to, and b) for Sam to have someone else who could communicate with the ghosts.

So there are just trunks of stuff in this house that apparently no one has gone through in almost 100 years?  There might be some stuff in there that could fund the renovation!  I think a fun reoccurring bit could be the ghosts directing Sam to artifacts, like Thorfinn's helmet or maybe lost jewelry or coins, and them using that for the renovation funds. 

• Love 6

I could not love this show more.

Alberta getting all worked up over her super fan was a delight and the downward spiral was even more fun. I loved her meltdown when everyone discovered he was a creepy nut (tm Alberta) and I loved Trevor being right by her side while still complaining that the weirdo was in his room. I love watching the ghosts when they are in the background and someone else is the focus, the actors do really great jobs with facial expressions and interacting with each other. Trevor was holding Alberta's hand and supporting her while the toe nail story was being revealed and ran out after her when she chased the historian into the hall. I do love that he was poisoned by Alberta's moonshine, effectively proving she was murdered. And Pete was so happy for her!

Thor and Hetty were delightful, esp. the very end where he was singing to ghost adult Hetty and she was all "yep, this is weird now."

And Isaac taking such delight in Alberta's stalker was hilarious. He is so smarmy and sarcastic, I love it. But he also knows when he's gone too far and should apologize. 

I really, really hope Jay gets to see all of the ghosts (maybe next week?) at some point. I could truly feel his frustration at being left out when Sam was laughing with all of the ghosts while they were waiting to hear if the crazy historian died or not. 

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I understand why Hetty, Thor, Pete, Isaac and Sasappis were there, but what was Alberta doing on the property at the time, and will they ever reveal who murdered her?

Considering Alberta was probably poisoned with sketchy booze while she was a singer in the roaring 20s, the house might have been a Speakeasy at the time where she was performing. I bet Hetty would have loved that...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Useful 5
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I loved Trevor being right by her side while still complaining that the weirdo was in his room.

I loved that his main concern about the idea of Todd becoming a ghost and staying on the property was that he might have his room. Didn't he say something about the ghosts being on some kind of rotating schedule, too :p? 

Thanks for sharing the lyrics to that song, @AnimeMania!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
33 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I loved that his main concern about the idea of Todd becoming a ghost and staying on the property was that he might have his room. Didn't he say something about the ghosts being on some kind of rotating schedule, too :p? 

Actually that reminds me that he was complaining that the weirdo was going to be sleeping in his room in the first place.  If this B&B is going to make any money, the ghosts are either going to have to share with the live people, or go sleep with the TB people (or whatever they died of), or something.

• Useful 6

Alberta's fan slowly becoming more and more creepy was great, as well as all of their reactions to him. But on the bright side she found out she was murdered and the brighter side people are discovering her music. Lol

I love that this show mixes humor with heartwarming moments, it makes the characters more interesting. I didn't even think that Thorfin, Sassapis and Issac would've been there when Hetty was growing up. I loved her finding out that it was Thorfin that sang her to sleep when she was little. 

I hope we see when each of the ghosts first arrived into ghosthood. Poor Thorfin was probably thrilled when Sassapis died. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I thought at the end when it was confirmed that Alberta was poisoned, it would somehow fulfill her "destiny" or whatever and she would be able to ascend (or get - what was it? - "sucked off")

Heh.

I know I would still like to know who poisoned Alberta and why.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I thought at the end when it was confirmed that Alberta was poisoned, it would somehow fulfill her "destiny" or whatever and she would be able to ascend (or get - what was it? - "sucked off")

The musical score was really indicating that would happen.  It was very sucked off-ish music.  I kept expecting a light to appear... and then it didn't.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, chaifan said:

The musical score was really indicating that would happen.  It was very sucked off-ish music.  I kept expecting a light to appear... and then it didn't.

So did I and I was getting nervous. I was kept thinking 'Don't leave Alberta!' and was so relieved when she didn't, heh. 

• Love 8

Most of them didn't grow up in the house, so the others wouldn't have observed them growing up. I think probably Hetty is the only one who grew up there. 

I live in a 300 year old house. I've found some stuff in the attic that's clearly been there a while, but the show's house seems like it's just full of junk-- including old moonshine-- just lying around. I'm willing to handwave it for the sake of TV, but it's pretty creepy if you think about it. You have to wonder about Sam's aunt, or whoever Sam inherited the house from, and what she was like, to live alone there, and never touch any of the stuff lying around.

Also... for the pantsless guy... what was he doing there? We know about the others, including Flower. But if the house was a private residence for Sam's aunt in recent years, it's really quite surprising to think he would be there. 

I think this is the first thing I've seen where the ghosts don't actually know how they died. Alberta thought she was murdered, but she wasn't sure, and she still doesn't know who or why exactly. And apparently none of the other ghosts were witnesses.

I know I'm overthinking.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, nora1992 said:

I imagine that when Sam learned all of their names, that she might have googled them to see if any were famous. At least she would have done it while researching Isaac for the book she's writing. Then she might show any available pictures to Jay to let him see what the ghosts look like. So in that case, Jay might have got a chance to see Alberta's image before. Other ghosts, though, probably were not famous enough for pictures, or were too early for photography.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

So there are just trunks of stuff in this house that apparently no one has gone through in almost 100 years?  There might be some stuff in there that could fund the renovation!

Agreed. I also like the idea of having a B&B theme based on the ghosts. Better yet, they could advertise the place as haunted. People love that sort of thing, they'd have ghost hunters flocking to their house right and left. And some of the ghosts can actually make their presence known.

Also... for the pantsless guy... what was he doing there? We know about the others, including Flower. But if the house was a private residence for Sam's aunt in recent years, it's really quite surprising to think he would be there. 

I want to say there was some sort of fund-raising party at the house and he was fooling around with someone upstairs when he died, but that's just speculation.

A reasonable scenario might be that Trevor had some stocks with him that he thought were garbage, which turn out to now be worth a lot of money.

Except in an earlier episode, when Sam got out her laptop, he wanted her to look at his stocks, which were in Blockbuster and some other defunct company.

• Love 8