Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E03: Rami Malek / Young Thug

• Start Topic

I hope this isn't the last episode for the foreseeable future, but with that union strike more than likely happening on Monday, it probably will be for awhile at least.

ETA:  As Gilda Radner would say, Never Mind.

Edited by vb68
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Bowen's Daddy Long Legs was almost as brilliant as his Titanic Iceberg.

Who was the long haired guy singing in Squid Game with Pete and Rami?

I wasn't that amused with the Squid Game sketch.  I've seen the pilot which gave me more than enough information to understand all of it, but still.  Meh.  I couldn't believe there were almost zero Asian people in that sketch.  They had Bowen sit out of it.  The whole thing was no bueno to me.

The Prince sketch is better.  Nice to see so many Black cast members in it.

Now I'm giggling myself silly at this celebrity game show sketch.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Bowen's Daddy Long Legs was almost as brilliant as his Titanic Iceberg.

Who was the long haired guy singing in Squid Game with Pete and Rami?

Yes! Brilliant! 

Iceberg, Daddy Longlegs, Proud Gay Oompa Loompa, George Takei... !

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Why is this Hypnotist thing on Weekend Update so stupidly funny?  LOL.  

I am LOVING how Bowen is in every single sketch, I'm just really disappointed they didn't have him in Squid Game. It's a Korean show with a fully Korean cast, people.  🙄. It's almost like they wanted to be defiant by making it as white as possible.  Country music?  I mean.....

I'm even laughing at this Mattress sketch.  I can tell that this is going to be one of the episodes I really like.  

Guys I am laughing hysterically at the Mattress sketch.  I'm almost crying

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

Rami Malek needs to do more comedy. He's been fantastic. I hope he comes back.

Aidy was having so much fun in that mattress sketch.

And yes Bowen has been fire the whole episode.

• Love 12

Cold Open: Colin as Roger Goodell is just perfect casting. Gotta love the revolving door of Raiders coaches until it was LeVar Burton's turn. "My hair looks like Donald Trump's haircut gave ME a haircut" was perfect. I don't know much about sports, so I don't know just how many of the people depicted in this sketch were real.

Monologue: Rami Malek has a really square face, it really is perfect for a villain. 

Bug Assembly: This is was just an excuse for Bowen to strut on stage in a spider costume, wasn't it? 

"What does Daddy Long Legs Eat? Boys. Boys. Boys." the sketch was worth it just for that. This was a weird one, and it's the first sketch out of the gate, too.

Squid Game: I honestly needed a Cliff Notes version of what Squid Games is via a Pete Davidson country song.

Prince Auditions: This was silly as hell. Where's Fred Armisen when you need him? And that was a really random cameo by Daniel Craig. Certainly explains why they reran that episode. (Yeah, yeah, he's Bond and Rami played the villain, but still)

Celeb School: Even when she hasn't been in the cast for a decade, Kristen Wiig STILL manages to be in a game show sketch! Melissa was so dead on as her, as was Chloe as Jennifer Coolidge. Okay, we can get a Rami Malek & Pete Davidson swap, but NOT Melissa and Owen Wilson?! It's not fair. Fun, though. But mostly nothing happened in this sketch. Was this the first time TWO castmembers were impersonated in the same sketch?

WU: Man, they were great tonight. You can totally tell which jokes were written by Che and Colin for the other to read. OF COURSE Bowen was the Oompa Loompa, and totally killed it. I wasn't expecting to like Linus Minus and Roy, but leave it to Kenan to make anything work. And after all that talk about Zendaya, what's the first thing we see when it cuts to commercial? Zendaya in Dune.

SleepyTown USA: God, this was so fun. Aidy just killed it on "You reek of vermouth and WHORES!" Between that, "get the KILLING GUN," "do me like I'm in Adult Detention," this was the best sketch of the night by far.

Angelo: Daniel Craig in a sketch! And Aristotle gets a lead role! I have a feeling that this was one of Aristotle's characters he used in his audition, this was how weird and specifically him it was. Daniel Craig was just here to say stuff like "banana" and "mesothelioma," right? Because the way he said those was simply magical.

Okay, this episode started weak, but got WAY better at Update. Next week is the return of Jason Sudeikis, and I won't be around for it! Sad.

Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Daniel Craig hosted SNL March 2020.

The last one before everything shut down, if I remember right.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

The last one before everything shut down, if I remember right.

Yep.

He also hosted in late 2012 to promote "Skyfall".

Did anyone else catch Rami outright leaping into Daniel's arms during the good nights?

Speaking of whom, DAMN he looks good.

• Love 6

I did not hear if Craig said he was auditioning for "Hamlet" (the Prince of Denmark), but a still image right before the farewells showed Malek in the scene from the play with Hamlet contemplating the skull that is iconic to the play.  

I enjoyed, this and did not expect Daniel Craig! 

And the 10:00 rerun on the West Coast is that Daniel Craig episode from 2020.  (Do you get the reruns on the East Coast?  For us, it fill the gap between the live show and rerun of the live show at 11:30.)  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 5

Daniel Craig showing up really is the perfect bookend to "No Time to Die" finally being released as he hosted to promote it right before everything just stopped. I really appreciated him coming back.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I don't know much about sports, so I don't know just how many of the people depicted in this sketch were real.

Pretty sure just Goodell and Gruden, but to be honest, I’m not fluent in Raiders equipment manager.

Edit— Oh wait, Colin Kaepernick was in there too

Edit, part two— Mark Davis is real too.

Edited by opus
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, freddi said:

did not hear if Craig said he was auditioning for "Hamlet" (the Prince of Denmark), but a still image right before the farewells showed Malek in the scene from the play with Hamlet contemplating the skull that is iconic to the play.  

He and Ruth Negga will be in a Broadway production of "Macbeth"

• Useful 3
47 minutes ago, opus said:

And Levar Burton.  The actual interm coach was not the guy they mentioned. 

I loved the Sleepy Town skit.  Both Aidy and Rami were 100% into the theater of it all.

It made me laugh a lot and it's timeless. You could show that 20 years from now and 20 years ago and it would work. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, opus said:

Pretty sure just Goodell and Gruden, but to be honest, I’m not fluent in Raiders equipment manager.

Some OF Those People I Don't Know Like Mark Davis I Think Is His Name, BUT, I Thought He And Every Body In That Sketch Was A Real Person ! ! ! 

Just now, Jody said:

Some OF Those People I Don't Know Like Mark Davis I Think Is His Name, BUT, I Thought He And Every Body In That Sketch Was A Real Person ! ! ! 

Right, Mark Davis too. Going back to edit again. Anyone else I forget?  Sigh. I think I should go to sleep now….

The marriage sketch is in the same format as the lesbian period drama sketch from last year, but I preferred this one - the lines are funnier (the part about tuning in to see the actor's penis cracked me up) and the addition of Kate as an ex-girlfriend took away some of the focus. The PDD pre-tape is  mostly worth watching for me because of the way Rani plays the scenes - his throwing a tantrum and them having no idea how to control him. The last sketch is stupid but Cecily and Rami make it more fun than it should have been.

I don't think Rami was one of the better host performers, but he really gave his all and he had a very different rapport with every person he shared major sketch time with, Along with the general fun vibe of the night, this made it one of the more enjoyable episodes in recent times, even if I wish the writing was better. 

I did really like the last two sketches (the mattress and Angelo sketches).

• Love 5
5 hours ago, freddi said:

And the 10:00 rerun on the West Coast is that Daniel Craig episode from 2020.  (Do you get the reruns on the East Coast?  For us, it fill the gap between the live show and rerun of the live show at 11:30.)  

Yes, the rerun is on at 10pm in the East Coast. Annoying b/c my DVR picks it up as new, although sometimes I’ll scan through if there was a good sketch I remember or singer I like. 

Edited by Tdoc72
12 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

Yes, it runs at 10pm in the East Coast. Annoying b/c my DVR picks it up as new, although sometimes I’ll scan through if there was a good sketch I remember or singer I like. 

Can west coasters watch the show live at 8:30?

• Love 1

That was a strange time one. I love Rami Malek, but he seemed oddly muted even for him until the mattress skit (which was the only time I laughed the entire show). And when he was given a gift like impersonating Pete, next to Pete, the writing wasn’t good and the lines were generic. I also enjoyed Todd, and the ribbons, though it didn’t require much of Rami. 

• Love 1

I *loved* this episode. I enjoyed the monologue. The Prince sketch was hilarious. I laughed at Daddy Long Legs. And as someone who has watched all episodes of the Squid Game I laughed a lot at the song. It was cool to see Daniel Craig pop up. I enjoyed WU. This episode had a lot 'good' and I found that I actually enjoyed every sketch!

This is the only episode of the season I've watched. I skipped the KKW episode last week. But maybe I'll go back and watch the season opener.

Edited by nichelle
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, nichelle said:

This is the only episode of the season I've watched. I skipped the KKW episode last week. But maybe I'll go back and watch the season opener.

I liked the Owen Wilson episode.  But I REALLY liked this one!

• Love 2

For some reason, I had a sneaking suspicion that Daniel Craig would make a cameo, since Malek was hosting, and I'm glad I was right.

And I also had a feeling he'd appear in another skit after the first one and I'm glad I was right about that too.

• Love 1

Having watched "Scenes from a Marriage," I have to say - "Brutal Marriage Movie" was almost perfect. (I just wish they had snarked on the ending a little, too. But that's just me.) Best line: "I just had a heart attack." So well done.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 4

I usually only watch until WU which typically is the only good part of this show, or I read Galileo's recap and use that to figure which skits to watch online the next day. But I like Rami and the cold open was one of the best ever, so I stayed to watch a few sketches and ended up watching the entire show. This was the best episode in a long time, I loved all of it. And when Daniel Craig showed up in the Prince sketch, I was all what? confused since I had just watched his rerun right before this new episode. Great cross-over episode!

Celeb School was my favorite, everyone was spot on, and that one could have been the entire show IMO. And yes, I saw Rami jump into Daniel's arms at the close and was disappointed that the camera cut away just at that moment. I hope Rami is invited back ... soon. He's right up there as my fav host of all time.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Daniel Craig hosted SNL March 2020.

There are a few Twitter accounts devoted to it:

I must have seen this. Maybe because I wasn't expecting him in this episode, it really stuck with me. And everything else I've seen him in was dramatic. He's such a good goofball. 

• Love 2

No one has seen Daniel Craig in Knives Out?  Okay...

Glad I finally finished Squid Game before seeing this.  And there are non-Korean, non-Southeast Asian actors in the original.  One of the major characters is a Pakistani immigrant, and there are white characters as well.

Loved the imitations in the school sketch.  Rami's Pete was much better than Pete's Rami.  Melissa was a dead on Kristin Wiig.  And I hated the Angelo sketch at the end.  I think Aristotle is an acquired taste.

• Love 4

I have a random question about the Squid Game sketch: Was that really Pete singing, or was another singer dubbed in? If it was dubbed, he did a spot-on job of lip syncing, plus it sounded like Rami did his own singing, but I know next to nothing about what Pete's talents are.

10 hours ago, GussieK said:

Can west coasters watch the show live at 8:30?

There may still be a few affiliates that take the 90 minutes and go local with it for boner pill infomercials, but generally speaking I think most locations air the live feed.  Kind of a no brainer for NBC. It's almost like getting an hour and a half of top notch network primetime TeeVee programing for free (or half-price). How do we do it? Volume, volume, volume!!!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

SleepyTown USA: God, this was so fun. Aidy just killed it on "You reek of vermouth and WHORES!" Between that, "get the KILLING GUN," "do me like I'm in Adult Detention," this was the best sketch of the night by far.

I liked Rami in this, but Aidy was outstanding. Like you said, her line deliveries were hilarious. The whole sketch was great.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

That trickle down joke on WU was greatness.

Yes. A+++ joke.

1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

And I hated the Angelo sketch at the end.  I think Aristotle is an acquired taste.

I really liked the sketch and Aristotle, but I'm curious what his other characters will be like.

In the CO, my favorite part was Alex walking out as Mark Davis. His expression cracked me up. 

I enjoyed Rami's monologue. He made what he was saying funnier than it was.

The Bug Assembly sketch didn't really work for me. 

I keep debating whether or not to watch Squid Game. From the audience's reaction, I thought not many people there had seen it. Anyway, I thought the sketch/song was pretty good.

LOVED Celeb School. Chloe's Jennifer Coolidge was so good, as was Melissa's Kristen Wiig. JAJ's Adam Driver was surprisingly good, too. And Bowen's George Takei. I wish the makeup people had put shadow around Rami's eyes so they'd look more like Pete's.

Young Thug's first song reminded me of another song. Childish Gambino's This Is America? Maybe a lot of rap songs have the same rhythm or beat or whatever. :shrug:

I liked all the cut sketches. Brutal Marriage Movie was spot on. Please Don't Destroy - Rami Wants a Treat was fun, mainly to see Rami act crazy. And Superhosts got weirder and weirder, which I love.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The marriage sketch is in the same format as the lesbian period drama sketch from last year, but I preferred this one - the lines are funnier (the part about tuning in to see the actor's penis cracked me up) and the addition of Kate as an ex-girlfriend took away some of the focus. The PDD pre-tape is  mostly worth watching for me because of the way Rani plays the scenes - his throwing a tantrum and them having no idea how to control him. The last sketch is stupid but Cecily and Rami make it more fun than it should have been.

I don't think Rami was one of the better host performers, but he really gave his all and he had a very different rapport with every person he shared major sketch time with, Along with the general fun vibe of the night, this made it one of the more enjoyable episodes in recent times, even if I wish the writing was better. 

I did really like the last two sketches (the mattress and Angelo sketches).

Wait, were these all cut for time sketches or did I somehow FF through them on my DVR?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

LOVED Celeb School. Chloe's Jennifer Coolidge was so good, as was Melissa's Kristen Wiig. JAJ's Adam Driver was surprisingly good, too. And Bowen's George Takei.

Got a  laugh that the writers got in Takei's burn on Shatner going into space as I was following that in real time. Another favorite was LeVar Burton in the CO telling Mayim Bialik to "suck it" since I follow Jeopardy and Burton made a big deal about wanting to be host. But now he's an NFL coach!

• Love 7

Did I mishear, or did they keep pronouncing Mr. Takei's last name to rhyme with "eye"?  I think I have heard him in more than one interview clarify that it's "Ta-kay - rhymes with gay!"  I thought the character was going to correct that!  Especially since it was Bowen!

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

Wait, were these all cut for time sketches or did I somehow FF through them on my DVR?

I'm guessing cut, because I didn't see Brutal Marriage Story until I came here. I think it would have been the funniest thing on the show, maybe tied with the Prince audition sketch.  They nailed it.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

I'm guessing cut, because I didn't see Brutal Marriage Story until I came here. I think it would have been the funniest thing on the show, maybe tied with the Prince audition sketch.  They nailed it.

Unpopular opinion: I've never liked Prince so I fast-forwarded through it. It really does seem as if I am the only person in the world who never cared for any of his music! (Or Abba's.)

I didn't notice Melissa right away when the Celeb School Game Show started and got all indignant: "Seriously? A sketch full of celebrity impersonations without one of the best at doing them? WTF?!... Oh, she's wearing a short wig (Wiig) so that's why I didn't recognize her in the long shot." [Emily Litella: Never mind."]

• Love 3