Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/13/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Sept. 13 – Mary Katharine Ham guest co-hosts; Wendy Williams (“The Wendy Williams Show”). UPDATE: Andrew Garfield (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)

Tuesday, Sept. 14 – Mary Katharine Ham guest co-hosts; Gabrielle Union (author, “You Got Anything Stronger?”)

Wednesday, Sept. 15 – Reese Witherspoon (“The Morning Show”); Tarana Burke (author, “Unbound”)

Thursday, Sept. 16 – Ben Platt (“Dear Evan Hansen”)

Friday, Sept. 17 – Which former co-host will join the table for Flashback Friday?; Andrew Garfield (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”). UPDATE: B.J. Novak (B.J. Novak’s “The Premise”)

Edited by falltime
Update schedule
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

We won't be seeing Wendy Williams on Monday's show.  I read on FB that she's dealing with some health issues (again) and won't be doing any promos next week for her show's September 20th premiere.

I was surprised that in this market (Indy) Wendy Williams’ show has been replaced by Dr Oz. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

had to look up who Mary K Ham is. She’s a writer for The Federalist. Can’t wait. 🙄

I had to look her up, too.  Her husband died in a bicycle accident 6 years ago this month.  WOW, that's horrible! Biking is my second favorite thing to do (with watching The View my first, natch!)

On 9/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, Haleth said:

I had to look up who Mary K Ham is. She’s a writer for The Federalist. Can’t wait. 🙄

Given their 9/11 article yesterday, this could be interesting.  I just hope she's not actually in the running for a co host spot.  That could be worse than MM.

• Love 3

I remember when the opening segment would run longer than this... And now the second segment is, what, two minutes? lol That's one of the few things that started while they were remote that needs to be reversed.

I don't mind this guest co-host. I wouldn't say I like her, but her being from The Federalist, I expected much worse. This is why I said in the past that nobody they could hire would be as bad as the last co-host, because privilege and protection was what made her so bad. None of these people will have that in their back pocket.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Pearson80 said:

Bill Maher is an ass and his outrage over the Black national anthem is why I no longer watch his stupid show.

I kinda want Berkeley to let him speak just so that Bill can finally heal and move on in his life. I'm glad that Sunny and Whoopi both called out his disingenuousness.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Bill Maher is an ass and his outrage over the Black national anthem is why I no longer watch his stupid show.

17 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

I kinda want Berkeley to let him speak just so that Bill can finally heal and move on in his life. I'm glad that Sunny and Whoopi both called out his disingenuousness.

I stopped watching years ago. And maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember the whole bruhaha over Berkeley disinviting him, his whining about it, and then reversing and invited him back. So he did get to speak. It's so tiresome.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
56 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I quit his dumb, racist, misogynist ass over a decade ago. His entitled use of the n-word on his HBO show and lack of consequences for it make me sick. He is a living demonstration of how a turd floats to the top of the punchbowl. I am glad that Sunny broke it down for everyone. I cant even imagine if another cohost had been there. I hope the show stays like this.

• Love 12

IIRC the suggestion that the National Anthem be changed has been around for decades. The reasons have varied from questions about the text (although I imagine most people aren't even aware that there's more than one stanza and couldn't tell you what the rest of them are without researching it), how hard it is to sing, how it is kind of embarrassing that the tune comes from a drinking song, and so on. One of the stumbling blocks has been figuring out what should replace it. I don't think it would be any easier now, since the text of any candidate songs will be scrutinized as well as the history of the lyricist and composer and any history attached to the song. I suspect that we'd only end up not changing anything, and finally agreeing to stick with the one stanza everyone sings and ignoring the rest of them (as we do now).

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

And the best part was watching Mary K squirm with having to speak to the subject after Sunny. 

I know, right?

She kept using euphemisms instead of being up front and stating exactly what she wanted to say.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't understand her story about the school's principal that segregated that one student. Only that she pointed out to Sunny the principal wasn't White, but African American.

I see that "Research" still hasn't improved. When talking about domestic terrorism, I guess it's been too long that none of them could remember Timothy McVeigh, or Kazinski/the Unibomber?

That all aside, I am thoroughly enjoying this second week of the show's return to its original roots. Even Whoopi is jokingly going to commercial and apologizing to Rob, and you can tell, well, I can tell, she's not pissed or aggravated at having to do it. Or that the other hosts are respectful when she had to cut in to say they had to go to commercial.

• Love 11

I still hate watch Bill from time to time and saw that episode.  My comments are on that episode thread 🙂.   I appreciated Sunny pushing back on more details on the story Mary K. Ham shared about the segregated classroom.   Because I'm pretty certain there is more to that story.   And in full context it wasn't what she made it to be.   Much like the discussion about Left Every Voice and Sing and separate graduations.   I don't think universities are having "Black" graduations in lieu of full graduations.   Black students still walk with the rest of their class.   But there is also an additional event targeted towards Black graduates to celebrate.   I've seen similar graduation events for international students.   

• Useful 5
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, After7Only said:

I appreciated Sunny pushing back on more details on the story Mary K. Ham shared about the segregated classroom.   Because I'm pretty certain there is more to that story.   And in full context it wasn't what she made it to be

But, but, but, Mary K. Ham said she was "THERE!"🙄

• LOL 4

Sara still sounds scripted at this time, Joy looks better with glasses and I think that guest co-host can go sit with the one from last week.

Star set the bar high!! I hope I'm not bored this season.

Edited by Rightside
  • Love 4

What really pisses me off with Bill is that he fails to look at the reasons why Black people felt they had to have a separate national anthem in the 1900's.  Does he realize that Black people were living with domestic terrorism on a daily basis at that time..

• Love 14

Segregated classroom: It seems that the classes were actually segregated, not just for specific activities. Like many topics discussed on the show, there are more nuances to the situation and the parent's complaint, it seems that the school did create separate classes for the black children in the spirit of "creating community".  I'm older, so my educational experience is ancient, but I don't recall "creating community" in general or for any specific subset of the classroom being a priority in school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/atlanta-mom-files-complaint-alleging-daughter-s-grade-school-segregated-n1276584

• Useful 4
On 9/10/2021 at 3:23 PM, falltime said:

Monday, Sept. 13 – Mary Katharine Ham guest co-hosts; Wendy Williams (“The Wendy Williams Show”)

Tuesday, Sept. 14 – Mary Katharine Ham guest co-hosts; Gabrielle Union (author, “You Got Anything Stronger?”)

Wednesday, Sept. 15 – Reese Witherspoon (“The Morning Show”); Tarana Burke (author, “Unbound”)

Friday, Sept. 17 – Which former co-host will join the table for Flashback Friday?; Andrew Garfield (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)

where do you get this info, from the ABC View page?  I ask because I just was notified I got studio audience tickets for Thursday Sept 23 and on the 1iota site they don't have a guest for my day....no big deal, just curious.  

So I'm listening to Mary Katherine Ham talk and I'm thinking I bet you are a lot more of a winger (her word) so I looked her up. She wrote a book with the title End of Discussion: How the Left’s Outrage Industry Shuts Down Debate, Manipulates Voters, and Makes America Less Free (and Fun). So yeah I'm not all that interested in too much of what she has to say.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

Once I heard Mary Katherine wrote for the Federalist, I said "next, please".  When MM's was on, we heard their talking points all the time.  She added nothing to the panel.  The show is so much better this year and a lot of that has to do with them being in studio.  However, the co-hosts no longer tip toe around the lone conservative who at any moment could throw a tantrum.    The fifth spot should be a younger women who has different views not necessarily conservative.  I thought the Bill Maher discussion was interesting.  He's turned into a cranky old white guy yelling "get off my lawn".  I stopped watching his show in the last two years.

• Love 15
On 9/10/2021 at 4:23 PM, falltime said:

Friday, Sept. 17 – Which former co-host will join the table for Flashback Friday?;

Anyone think it will be Meredith? 

I think they are trying so start the new season with some of the best from the past. I really don't see Rosie Perez, CCB, Abby Huntsman or Raven Symone as a big audience draw.

• Love 5

NOTE TO PRODUCERS:  Please WAIT until all panelists are seated/settled before showing them on camera.  It's sad to see each one of them STRUGGLE to climb up on those stools.  

NOTE TO MARY KATHERINE HAM:  If you're invited back, DO NOT cross your legs while you're sitting on one of the stools.  You look uncomfortable.

NOTE TO MAKE-UP PERSON:  Sunny's hands appear "mauve" onscreen.  Please adapt that BAD gold foundation to approach her natural skin color.

NOTE TO PRODUCERS:  Don't let Whoopi ramrod you and continue pontificating when it's TIME FOR A BREAK!  She interrupts/cuts off the other panelists immediately for break time.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 9/10/2021 at 4:23 PM, falltime said:

Monday, Sept. 13 – Mary Katharine Ham guest co-hosts; Wendy Williams (“The Wendy Williams Show”)

Friday, Sept. 17 – Which former co-host will join the table for Flashback Friday?; Andrew Garfield (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)

BJ Novak will be the guest on Friday instead of Andrew Garfield (who guested today instead of Wendy Williams):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/theview/weekly-schedule-abcs-view/story%3fid=52315414

Edited by catlover79
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Thursday, Sept. 16 - Ben Platt (Age 27)  ("Dear Evan Hansen," age 17)

The age issue aside (and I think it’s his hair that ages him a lot more in the trailer than how he wore it in the stage version) I looked up the plot of the movie and I’m like “so…this is an awful character. And people relate to this?!”

5 hours ago, Rightside said:

Anyone think it will be Meredith? 

I think they are trying so start the new season with some of the best from the past. I really don't see Rosie Perez, CCB, Abby Huntsman or Raven Symone as a big audience draw.

I’m guessing Jenny McCarthy won’t be asked back either. Outside of her relationship with Donnie Wahlberg, did she actually add anything during her time?

Top people that would come back: Meredith (of course) Lisa Ling, Sherri Shepherd and just to make us angry enough, Elisabeth.  And I won’t hate it if Nicole Wallace appears too. I felt she got a raw deal. I don’t have msnbc but I hear she’s thriving there. 

• Love 6

When Mary Katharine Ham was talking about how united we were pos- 9/11 and how the anthem was for all of us then I was wishing she could talk with some of my Muslim-American friends about what life was like for them...

• Love 19
9 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Segregated classroom: It seems that the classes were actually segregated, not just for specific activities. Like many topics discussed on the show, there are more nuances to the situation and the parent's complaint, it seems that the school did create separate classes for the black children in the spirit of "creating community".  I'm older, so my educational experience is ancient, but I don't recall "creating community" in general or for any specific subset of the classroom being a priority in school.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/atlanta-mom-files-complaint-alleging-daughter-s-grade-school-segregated-n1276584

Ok I read and I can see how the principal thought she was creating a sense of community for the 12 black children. Apparently there are six 2nd grade teachers in that school. If the 12 black children were divided equally, each classroom would have had 2 black children. By dividing the 12 black children into 2 classes, they each had 5 friends (instead of only 1) who looked like them and shared their same culture in their class.

Not sure if I should be mad about this.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Nothing against today’s guest, Andrew Garfield, I think his name is, but, who on earth is going to go to a movie about Jim and Tammy Faye Baker?  I’m not even sure anyone under 55 has ever heard of them.

I've seen the trailer and the movie looks great. It might not be a blockbuster but I think it will do well.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Nothing against today’s guest, Andrew Garfield, I think his name is, but, who on earth is going to go to a movie about Jim and Tammy Faye Baker?  I’m not even sure anyone under 55 has ever heard of them.

Being well over 55 I remember them well and have no interest in the movie anyway.  Tammy Fay was such a caricature and their money grubbing was distasteful.  

7 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Ok I read and I can see how the principal thought she was creating a sense of community for the 12 black children. Apparently there are six 2nd grade teachers in that school. If the 12 black children were divided equally, each classroom would have had 2 black children. By dividing the 12 black children into 2 classes, they each had 5 friends (instead of only 1) who looked like them and shared their same culture in their class.

Not sure if I should be mad about this.

So, wait.  The 12 kids were split into 2 of the classes?  Mary K implied that all 12 were held in a separate class with no white students.  Was she deliberately misleading the audience to invoke anger?

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

1. NOTE TO PRODUCERS:  Please WAIT until all panelists are seated/settled before showing them on camera.  It's sad to see each one of them STRUGGLE to climb up on those stools.  

2. NOTE TO MARY KATHERINE HAM:  If you're invited back, DO NOT cross your legs while you're sitting on one of the stools.  You look uncomfortable.

3. NOTE TO PRODUCERS:  Don't let Whoopi ramrod you and continue pontificating when it's TIME FOR A BREAK!  She interrupts/cuts off the other panelists immediately for break time.

1.  This is how they've always come onto the stage--it will probably take a bit to get used to sitting on the stools/chairs after nearly 19 months of sitting in the comfort of their homes.

2. She'll be back today, unfortunately.

3. I thought it was refreshing that Whoopi was giving her opinions, instead of the "what do you think?"  There was a back and forth exchange of conversation.  And like I posted upthread, she only cut them off because Rob the producer was telling her to wrap it up and go to commercial.

If I have a shallow criticism, it's those caterpillars that are supposed to be fake eyelashes that Sunny wears, and her not looking at the camera when she's speaking. She's continuing the looking down and reading thing. Which, is okay, if you're reading stats or someone's quote that didn't make it to the teleprompter. But she's a former federal prosecutor, who has looked a jury and judges in the eye when speaking/making arguments/questioning witnesses.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

If I have a shallow criticism, it's those caterpillars that are supposed to be fake eyelashes that Sunny wears, and her not looking at the camera when she's speaking.

OMG yes. And also there is something off with her hair. It's usually gorgeous but the color is different and has more body than usual.  

33 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
  1.  This is how they've always come onto the stage--it will probably take a bit to get used to sitting on the stools/chairs after nearly 19 months of sitting in the comfort of their homes.

2. She'll be back today, unfortunately.

3. I thought it was refreshing that Whoopi was giving her opinions, instead of the "what do you think?"  There was a back and forth exchange of conversation.  And like I posted upthread, she only cut them off because Rob the producer was telling her to wrap it up and go to commercial.

If I have a shallow criticism, it's those caterpillars that are supposed to be fake eyelashes that Sunny wears, and her not looking at the camera when she's speaking. She's continuing the looking down and reading thing. Which, is okay, if you're reading stats or someone's quote that didn't make it to the teleprompter. But she's a former federal prosecutor, who has looked a jury and judges in the eye when speaking/making arguments/questioning witnesses.

why do they have to sit on stools anyway? couldn't they just sit on regular height chairs?  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I’m guessing Jenny McCarthy won’t be asked back either. Outside of her relationship with Donnie Wahlberg, did she actually add anything during her time?

She would have to be vaccinated to be in compliance with ABC's policy. With her previous anti vaxx movement, that could answer any question if she is vaccinated or not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

The documentary it's based on did well and gained Tammy Faye a lot of new fans. She developed quite a following in the last years of her life with the LGBTQ community embracing her wholeheartedly and her embracing them in kind.

• Love 11

Only Whoopi would think that people earning $500k+ shouldn’t pay more in taxes or that taking care of one’s freeloaders family is a good reason to not tax them more.

I like Sunny but sometimes she can be such a wet blanket.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 15

Mary Katherine seemed a bit smug on how “the rich” were not wearing masks on the red carpet until Whoopi shut that down. (You also had to be vaccinated to attend the event.) I do wish that led into Nicki Minaj’s tweets on why she wasn’t there and throwing her cousin’s friend under the bus.

• Love 15

Awkward moment with Sunny sneering about Fertile Myrtles with very preg Mary K sitting next to her.

That video with Gabrielle and her daughter was adorable. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2