Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/13/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

The show has such a different vibe and everybody is radiating with happiness.  I loved Ana being on the show today.  This is how it should have always been: women engaging with one another discussing things that matter to them..

I'm watching the show now and it is so nice they are having discussions about the hot topics rather than each of them just stating their opinion as they were doing when they were remote.  It is also nice they don't have to be edge waiting for the inevitable contradictory opinion delivered in an obnoxious way.

• Love 12
On 9/15/2021 at 2:28 PM, tinkerbell said:

I wish they would go back to having the women sit at regular height chairs at a table, instead of the bar/counter height stools.  Especially considering the age of some of the hosts, sitting on chairs where your feet can reach the floor is much more comfortable and safe, than being perched on a stool. 

Sorry. I must disagree. Hips and knees, hips and knees. Some older folks have difficulty rising from a sitting position without leaning on a table that may not be solid and heavy  enough. Plus it is embarrassing to need assistance to stand. Being stiff is no fun. Since most have a foot bar or foot rest, I prefer a higher seat. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/15/2021 at 9:30 AM, ifionlyknew said:
On 9/15/2021 at 9:28 AM, Tunia said:

I also think she looks like she has gained weight.  Wonder if it's menopause related?

As long as you brought it up first, I think the weight looks good on her. Sunny is a beautiful woman. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It doesn’t look like the stools have foot rests. Sitting with legs dangling is not a good health choice. There should be, a foot rest, a platform, or the seating needs to be lowered, IMO.

I'm pretty sure Whoopi has a crate below her chair to put her feet on...but she's the ONLY one who does, as far as I can tell.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

I'm pretty sure Whoopi has a crate below her chair to put her feet on...but she's the ONLY one who does, as far as I can tell.

And if everyone was uncomfortable for the whole hour they sit there they could ask for something different.  No shrinking violets here.  (Didn't they do that before?  They disliked the set one year so changes were made after a couple weeks?  Or maybe I'm thinking of another show.)

Lisa!  Yay!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

Not liking Sara’s hair. Someone should just throw away that hair extension when nobody is looking. 

It’s great seeing Lisa again. I remember a few years ago they did an episode where they had the four originals (minus Barbara). I’d love to see that again, but they should include Lisa as a 5th panelist. 

• Love 4

Sunny has such a Pollyannaish way of viewing life. She lucked out having  a family like she has, but if you want to look into the face of evil, you should see my in-laws. My poor husband-he would have never gotten married if he waited for someone who would love his family.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I'm watching the show now and it is so nice they are having discussions about the hot topics rather than each of them just stating their opinion as they were doing when they were remote.  It is also nice they don't have to be edge waiting for the inevitable contradictory opinion delivered in an obnoxious way.

You (me at least) can really feel the release of the toxic atmosphere that had become the show. It was worse than i thought.  The toxicity ran deep.  I hope those folks at DM are ready for it.  I think it will run with her giving her blurb but shes home and have it recorded so she wont have an audience and no one to call her on her bullshit 

1 hour ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Sunny has such a Pollyannaish way of viewing life. She lucked out having  a family like she has, but if you want to look into the face of evil, you should see my in-laws. My poor husband-he would have never gotten married if he waited for someone who would love his family.

I love Sunny but she needs to realize that there are toxic in-laws so it is unfair to judge somebody by the type of family that they have.  We don't choose the family we are born to.. I loved how Ana brought up that there are awful parents out there.

2 hours ago, Axie said:

Joy is overbearing today.  She’s talking over everyone, interrupting… Just stop….

I love Joy but she was too much.  I loved seeing Lisa Ling but I wanted to hear her perspective about what is going on at the border.  Ana Sunny and Lisa were amazing and I loved Lisa shouting "where are the pro-lifers" in regards to the humanitarian crisis at the southern border..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, falltime said:

Sunny and Lisa view working less is laziness.

Sunny said she worked 15 hr days when she was in her 20s and 30s.  She would  have been a lawyer by then.  She needs to understand working that many hrs a day as a lawyer is completely different than working that many hrs a day in a Chinese factory. Honestly Sunny should have realized that.  China does not have the best track record when it comes to factories.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, kitkat68 said:

To me, it seemed like BJ Novak wasn't having it with Joy.

I got that feeling too. When Joy brought that same old talking point some comedians bring up about how comedians have to be politically correct now.  I like what he said that you should what want to keep up with the current  views. I get it that some comedians aren't happy they can't say shitty things about certain groups without being called out. That's life. If you can't find a way to be funny without putting down certain groups get a different career.  Poc , women , LGBTQ,  have a right to call you out for ugly views you call a "jokes".

Btw, I love Joy.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, falltime said:

Sunny and Lisa view working less is laziness.

I think this is an American thing..this idea that you’re lazy if you don’t work 80-100 hours per week.  Many(most?) European countries don’t expect that, have generous paid vacation that they expect you to take and generous pay maternity and paternity leave, etc. And studies show that those workers are happier, better adjusted with work and home life and are just as  effective as those here.  Here we expect people to work overtime and in some companies actually using your leave is not welcomed.  I think it’s a ridiculous expectation and we would do well to look at other countries.  I know someone, an American with a young family, who worked in the Netherlands fo a couple of years.  She said she was used to the US way and finally after a few days of working later hours, her boss came in at 4:30/5:00 and said you have to leave work now…this is family time and we don’t want you staying in the office longer.  Imagine that!  And sunny to compare her early days of long hours to a factory worker anywhere (though especially in China) is the height  of privilege.  I think younger workers are more aware of the work and home balance and recognize that having both is important.  

• Love 18
11 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

And sunny to compare her early days of long hours to a factory worker anywhere (though especially in China) is the height  of privilege.  I think younger workers are more aware of the work and home balance and recognize that having both is important.  

What nobody on the panel thought to bring up is if there are a lot of younger people leaving their jobs it is not anyone making less than $50 K a year. They can't afford to quit. 

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

I think this is an American thing..this idea that you’re lazy if you don’t work 80-100 hours per week.  Many(most?) European countries don’t expect that, have generous paid vacation that they expect you to take and generous pay maternity and paternity leave, etc. And studies show that those workers are happier, better adjusted with work and home life and are just as  effective as those here.  Here we expect people to work overtime and in some companies actually using your leave is not welcomed.  I think it’s a ridiculous expectation and we would do well to look at other countries.  I know someone, an American with a young family, who worked in the Netherlands fo a couple of years.  She said she was used to the US way and finally after a few days of working later hours, her boss came in at 4:30/5:00 and said you have to leave work now…this is family time and we don’t want you staying in the office longer.  Imagine that!  And sunny to compare her early days of long hours to a factory worker anywhere (though especially in China) is the height  of privilege.  I think younger workers are more aware of the work and home balance and recognize that having both is important.  

I think with Lisa and Sunny it's about being a Person of Color and or having immigrant parents. My mom always worked 3 jobs and all my siblings had jobs during high school,  hell some before high school.  

I actually took what Sunny and Lisa were saying was more about American 20 somethings being lazy not the Chinese factory workers. I thought they were just referencing where it started.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

I was distracted during that segment, but I think it's sad how much some people work just to pay the bills or not be deemed lazy. Let's say someone works the average 40-hour work week. That alone is plenty of work imo. There's also the getting ready to go to work and drive to and from (at least for many jobs). Even for people who don't work second jobs, there are only so many hours left each day M-F. It's not easy for most people to also get enough sleep, clean, cook healthy meals, exercise, spend quality time with family, just relax. Something typically suffers. I've done the double job thing, and it sucks. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Axie said:

All the over talking is already getting on my nerves.

I loved it! Reminded me of days gone by. Smart, funny women discussing “stuff “. No fighting, no lecturing, no Infamous daughters or EGOT actresses.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I was distracted during that segment, but I think it's sad how much some people work just to pay the bills or not be deemed lazy. Let's say someone works the average 40-hour work week. That alone is plenty of work imo. There's also the getting ready to go to work and drive to and from (at least for many jobs). Even for people who don't work second jobs, there are only so many hours left each day M-F. It's not easy for most people to also get enough sleep, clean, cook healthy meals, exercise, spend quality time with family, just relax. Something typically suffers. I've done the double job thing, and it sucks. 

I worked 60 - 70 hour work weeks; just like Sunny and Lisa were describing. I do not think that is a badge of honour nor something to ascribe to. I remember visiting my cousins in Europe. They believed in family time, so no one was working all those hours.

I had a great career and that was all good.  But did I need to work all those hours? I think it was mostly because I was a woman. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, bannana said:

I do not think that is a badge of honour nor something to ascribe to. I remember visiting my cousins in Europe. They believed in family time, so no one was working all those hours.

Totally! I’ve noticed that my European friends and family members seem to look at work as morally neutral 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, geekburger said:

I love Sara taking fashion risks now that MM can’t. It fun.

Speaking of fashion and MM, I'm even more grateful she's not there anymore when they discussed AOC's "tax the rich" dress from the Met Gala. Her head would have exploded!!

• LOL 6
17 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Speaking of fashion and MM, I'm even more grateful she's not there anymore when they discussed AOC's "tax the rich" dress from the Met Gala. Her head would have exploded!!

Oh man 😥  don't make me sorry we banished her.  Maybe we can have a OOOONNNEEE---NNNIIIGGHH---OOONNNLLLYYYYYYYYYY!  ONE NIGHT ONLY for those lazy ones.  J/K! It wouldn't be too bad,  Im always up for a good explosion kaboom. (Again j/k. I'm a kidder. I kid). Nothing else. . Too bad theres no droll emoji.  I would certainly get my mileage out of that.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:00 AM, hisbunkie said:

Totally! I’ve noticed that my European friends and family members seem to look at work as morally neutral 

I know it sux, trust me.  But how do they make the funds just for day to day living?  Again, trust me, i would rather be anywhere.  But that doon git me some green, ya dig?

On 9/19/2021 at 3:06 PM, ForumLou said:

I know it sux, trust me.  But how do they make the funds just for day to day living?  Again, trust me, i would rather be anywhere.  But that doon git me some green, ya dig?

What I’ve noted (jmho) is that they don’t seem to be as attached to possessions. Big homes,cars etc. are not necessarily seen as a sign of wealth and prestige. I noticed that when meeting new people no one asked me what I did for a living.  Work is something you do to support your lifestyle. it may have a lot to do with some basic needs being met by the government? Things like healthcare,education (including college,post-graduate, daycare)?

I became friendly with two women (SIL) on one of my very long trips (12weeks). Brits living in Norway. We spent a lot of time together shared lots of personal information about our lives,adult children and differences.  Weeks had passed and one day in conversation one of the women commented about her daughter being a psychiatrist an MD!  I just laughed and laughed. I explained that in the US a mother of an MD may have introduced herself as “I’m so and so and my daughter is a doctor “. Interestingly, the Dr.Mom (Norwegian) met her Brit husband while working in the UK as an aupair, and after getting married and returning to Norway they owned and operated a small restaurant in her village. From childhood kids are encouraged to follow their interests and because education is free you are not competing for scholarships,etc. People have professions and interests they enjoy. Not sure if this helps.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1