Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had no idea for FJ tonight, and would not have come up with the correct response in a million years.

However, I did get quite a few TS, including credenza, Jane, Buzz Aldrin, Genesis, Nevada, Grandma Moses, Gizmo, and speech.

• Love 3

I said Sylvia Plath.

I got the missed clues of Gizmo (so cute), Sweden, Buzz Aldrin, Genesis, Nevada, Jane, Grandma Moses, and Confuscionism (which I spelled wrong).

I got the entire category of characters and the partial cateogry of state songs right and the partial category of 3 consonants wrong.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3

I was pretty surprised at some of the TS...especially Buzz Aldrin. Also Grandma Moses, although that was a DD.

I knew it wasn't Plath for FJ, but had no idea who the correct poet was. My response was only "not Sylvia Plath".

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I knew it wasn't Plath for FJ, but had no idea who the correct poet was. My response was only "not Sylvia Plath".

Hey, we had the same answer!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I loved the mention of Scott Joplin, even with the cliche rinky-dink piano sound.  "The Entertainer" and "Maple Leaf" are the ones everyone knows, but some other favorites of mine are PeacherineBethena (a waltz, his first composition after his wife died of pneumonia), and the Great Crush Collision (which interprets musically a wild publicity stunt the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad put on: they ran two locomotives into each other, head on, at speed).  I am glad he is so well remembered today.  It took almost 60 years after his death from syphilitic dementia at age 48 for his pauper's grave to get a marker.

I don’t know that I would announce on national tv that I had been kicked out of one school and had to cycle through four more to get a degree, at least without some sort of clarification, but everyone seemed to think it was a cute story, so what do I know?

I nearly talked myself out of "schmooze" because it has 4, not 3, consecutive consonants.  I guess they didn't say "only 3."

• Love 5

Some terrible misses in that mess, including Grandma Moses and Buzz Aldrin.

I felt bad for the woman who guessed chifferobe for the piece of French furniture.   I was getting upset on her behalf so checked the clue and definitions.  The clue asked for a 16th century word, apparently chifferobe was coined in the 19th century.  Tough.

• Love 4

Lots of TS tonight.  I cannot believe none of them got Buzz Aldrin.  They were absolutely terrible in that category, so maybe I shouldn't be, but three J! contestants not knowing the second person to walk on the moon was unexpected.

If not for the movie titles category, I'd have done quite well in the first round.  Other than that category, I only missed two (the cat's paw TS - I've never heard that expression - and the missed DD of Jane).  But Big was the only movie I knew (and then I rolled my eyes at myself when JFK was revealed; I've seen that one, too, and it was so obvious in hindsight).

In DJ, I only ran body parts and So That's What They Looked Like, but I got all but one in China, states, and consonants.  I missed three in pop culture, but that was still a very good round for me.

I didn't get FJ, though.  I never even settled on a guess, but Dorothy Parker wasn't one of the women I was considering, so more time wouldn't have helped.

• Love 5

I can't pretend I was anywhere near Dorothy Parker, but I definitely would never have gotten to her from "poem."  She absolutely did write them, but I think of her as an essayist or satirist, or general wisecracker.  I wouldn't call "poem" a misleading clue, but it wasn't tailored for the way my brain works, which was very thoughtless.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Lots of TS tonight.  I cannot believe none of them got Buzz Aldrin.  They were absolutely terrible in that category, so maybe I shouldn't be, but three J! contestants not knowing the second person to walk on the moon was unexpected.

With a photograph yet!!! Honestly, I think I'd be able to accept Neil Armstrong as a TS even more than Buzz Aldrin. 😄 Buzz is a part of pop culture. He's the inspiration for Buzz Lightyear! He's appeared on The Big Bang Theory and in a Transformers movie for goodness sakes! This TS blows my mind. SMH.

• Love 9

I admit I am guilty of missing Buzz Aldrin.  In my defense, his name crossed my mind, but I didn't think the photo looked like him, because I have seen him many more times in his 70s and 80s than as a young man.  Yes, I know that's a pisspoor excuse, but it's the only one I've got!

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I admit I am guilty of missing Buzz Aldrin.  In my defense, his name crossed my mind, but I didn't think the photo looked like him, because I have seen him many more times in his 70s and 80s than as a young man.  Yes, I know that's a pisspoor excuse, but it's the only one I've got!

As always, that any one person - contestant or viewer - just plain doesn't know or can't pull from their mind a particular response is rarely worthy of comment (thus how very few missed DDs garner any significant "Wow, really?" response); we all have knowledge gaps, brain farts, and instances of running out of time.

It's when no one among three people who qualified and trained to compete on the show comes up with something most similarly-situated folks are likely to know that a TS is surprising, let alone a doozy.  Countless contestants have talked about how, in an average game, all three will know most answers so it comes down to being first to buzz in and getting it from brain to mouth in time.  So the clues where they all stand there silently are uncommon, and sometimes rather puzzling.

• Love 12

The night before I missed the FJ of Rent. I said Brigadoon. 

I was amazed out how many TS’s (18) and the 6 leftover clues last night. Pick up the pace people!

I got credenza, the missed DD of Jane Porter, Buzz Aldrin, Genesis, Saturn 5 and I thank my trip to the Kennedy Space Center for those. I also got Nevada, the missed DD of Grandma Moses (easy with her picture), John Nash, Bosch (one of my favorite tv detectives and I was jumping for joy that it was a Jeopardy clue) Gizmo, Confuciusism, and had no clue for FJ. I thought about Plath, but know she was later in the century and also considered Ferber. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

With a photograph yet!!! Honestly, I think I'd be able to accept Neil Armstrong as a TS even more than Buzz Aldrin. 😄 Buzz is a part of pop culture. He's the inspiration for Buzz Lightyear! He's appeared on The Big Bang Theory and in a Transformers movie for goodness sakes! This TS blows my mind. SMH.

I almost got to meet Buzz at Book Expo America (several years ago, now; he had a book come out in 2013 so it was probably around then) but my boss wanted us to go to one of the educational lectures while we were there and it was at the same time. (Standing on line to meet Buzz would have been a better use of our time.)

• Love 5

Showing my age because I knew all of the answers in the space/NASA/whatever category from first hand knowledge of having been a teenager during those years.  I knew all except the name of the moon crater area where a landing took place.  

Is it my imagination, or are more of the contestants talking and laughing with each other during the game as well as adding little things at the end of their answers?  Maybe Ken's hosting style has encouraged that.  He seems to interact more with them.  I'm fine with what seems like a more relaxed mood.  Maybe I'm not remembering lighter moments when Alex was the host. 

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Is it my imagination, or are more of the contestants talking and laughing with each other during the game as well as adding little things at the end of their answers?  

Seems like more to me, too. I wouldn't find it so annoying if they didn't leave so many clues on the board. 

• Love 11
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The best Star Trek movie!

Yes! And this may be controversial - but I think The Orville is the best current Star Trek series.

19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

One would hope. But when I can’t find a title in an alphabetized list, I’ve learned to look under “T”, where I often find it along with all the other titles that begin with “The”.  This seems to be a growing trend, and one that really annoys me.

It annoys me too, even though I know it's a product of computer programming (and frankly, I think in Excel, at the very least, it should follow the danged rules).

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(Is it just me or did it sound like Ken almost said "New Hamster" when he introduced her?)

He did fumble a bit, but I don't remember what it sounded like.

9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I know, I know. I missed it even though I've been a space program fan all my life (though the Mercury astronauts were more well known to me). I saw the picture and blurted out Conrad before even listening to the clue. I wouldn't have gotten it anyway, because "old" Buzz is the only picture I have of him in my mind.

9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

We share the same pisspoor excuse.

I did okay - didn't run anything but okay. I didn't get FJ, I came up with such an atrociously bad guess I won't even say it. I did think of Parker, but thought that was too early for her death.  This has not been a good FJ week.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

As always, that any one person - contestant or viewer - just plain doesn't know or can't pull from their mind a particular response is rarely worthy of comment (thus how very few missed DDs garner any significant "Wow, really?" response); we all have knowledge gaps, brain farts, and instances of running out of time.

It's when no one among three people who qualified and trained to compete on the show comes up with something most similarly-situated folks are likely to know that a TS is surprising, let alone a doozy.  Countless contestants have talked about how, in an average game, all three will know most answers so it comes down to being first to buzz in and getting it from brain to mouth in time.  So the clues where they all stand there silently are uncommon, and sometimes rather puzzling.

A while after I first started following this board I read the Jeopardy! Glossary thread.  By then in my mind TS had become (and stays) "triple shit".  Last night confirmed my instinct.

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(Is it just me or did it sound like Ken almost said "New Hamster" when he introduced her?)

He did fumble a bit, but I don't remember what it sounded like.

There was one clue yesterday where I thought Ken was trying extremely hard to enunciate properly, forget which one though.

For FJ my Pavlov response was Dickinson, I didn't even notice a date just -female-American-poet=Dickinson

• Love 5

Of the eight TSes in the first round, I got Buzz Aldrin, Genesis, Saturn V, Sweden, and Descarte.

I didn't get Descarte but did get the rest.  I also got Jane, Grandma Moses and speech.

I said Edna St. Vincent Millay for FJ.  I had no idea that Dorothy Parker was also a poet.

(I'd like to thank E.R. and Dr. Greene's brain tumor for me knowing what Broca's Area does).

That's probably why I knew it.

Man, that was not a good game.  Way too many clues left on the board.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire category of characters and the partial cateogry of state songs right and the partial category of 3 consonants wrong.

I ran the characters category and what they revealed of the consonants, but sucked at state songs.  Didn't get a single one of those correct, although I was trying to get New Mexico but didn't get there in time.

26 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

For FJ my Pavlov response was Dickinson, I didn't even notice a date just -female-American-poet=Dickinson

I said Dickinson first but then changed it right away because of the date.  But my first instinct was the same as yours.

6 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

"Oh, life is a glorious cycle of song,
a medley of extemporanea,
And love is a thing that can never go wrong,
and I am Marie of Romania."

The only thing I know by Parker is the quote "What fresh hell can this be?".

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Okay, if you're willing to share, I will too - Dickinson is who I came up with too.  Though I can't say I didn't notice the date - I did, but was very unclear about Dickinson's dates.

3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I know her by her suicide poem that lists methods and their bad points and ends "you might as well live." I was always a morbid kid.

• Love 4

I am another one whose FJ answer was "It's not Sylvia Plath".  I have heard the quote "Excuse my dust" before but it didn't enter my head and I'm not sure I would have attributed it to Dorothy Parker.  In my defense, I think I have Covid.

I still got a decent amount of ts's or missed DDs: Grandma Moses, Jane, Confucianism, Sweden, and Descarte,

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

This has not been a good FJ week.

Ditto.  I am 0/3, hope you are doing better.

13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I don’t know that I would announce on national tv that I had been kicked out of one school and had to cycle through four more to get a degree, at least without some sort of clarification, but everyone seemed to think it was a cute story, so what do I know?

I didn't think it was cute either.  In fact it quite turned me off her and now I want her gone asap.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And this may be controversial - but I think The Orville is the best current Star Trek series.

But it's not a Star Trek series. We love it too, but it's tight satire, but not a part of ST. Is there a third season? Seth MacFarland is a genius.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
39 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I know her by her suicide poem that lists methods and their bad points and ends "you might as well live." I was always a morbid kid.

I had a notebook where I wrote out my favorite poems, the suicide one was in there, as well as William Rose Benet's The Skater of Ghost Lake.

Also she was known for: Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.See Classic Film GIF

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

But it's not a Star Trek series. We love it too, but it's tight satire, but not a part of ST. Is there a third season? Seth MacFarland is a genius.

Galaxy Quest isn't a Star Trek movie, either.  Which is the point, I think, that some of the best ST stuff isn't actually ST at all.

• Love 5

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I had no idea that Dorothy Parker was also a poet.

I think most people just remember her for her witticisms, even though many of them rhyme:

”Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.”

”I like to have a martini, two at the very most
After three I’m under the table, after four I’m under my host.”

Edited to add: Jinx, @dgpolo!

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

Oh, I do love that.  I'll have to try to remember it.  Although for me it would be screwdrivers, lol.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

After two I'd just be curled up somewhere asleep.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Ditto.  I am 0/3, hope you are doing better.

Nope, afraid not. At least we're in it together. 🙂

52 minutes ago, Deskisamess said:

@proserpina65 replied better than I could - I'd say something like it, but it is succinct. Also, from what I understand, it is not a satire as much as a love note from Seth McFarlane.

38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Galaxy Quest isn't a Star Trek movie, either.  Which is the point, I think, that some of the best ST stuff isn't actually ST at all.

Thank you.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Deskisamess said:
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

And this may be controversial - but I think The Orville is the best current Star Trek series.

Yes, there is 😀 and it debuts on June 2 ONLY on Hulu.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Okay, if you're willing to share, I will too - Dickinson is who I came up with too.  Though I can't say I didn't notice the date - I did, but was very unclear about Dickinson's dates.

I also said Emily Dickinson. I think it's rude to be critical of contestants who don't know what you know. I know who Buzz Aldrin and Grandma Moses are but I've never seen their photos.

• Love 2

Use horticulture in a sentence.  “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.”  My favorite Dorothy Parker witticism and yes, it was an instaget for me.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

My only TS was measles (also the only category I ran), There was only one in the first round (plus the missed DD). I got both second round DDs and I knew both countries in the "perforated states" one.

FJ was almost an instaget except I blanked on the name for a few seconds. I immediately knew who they wanted, though.

Damn, I thought we might get a new champ there for a second.

• Love 6

In FJ, I have absolutely no idea why, but my mind went to France and wouldn't leave there.  I ended up with Mata Hari: although I knew she was executed around WWI, perhaps she had been acquitted on similar charges earlier in life.  Ah well!  Was "Adams" supposed to be someone particular, or was that "write down a common last name if you have no idea"?

8 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Was "Adams" supposed to be someone particular, or was that "write down a common last name if you have no idea"?

Well that common name has some notable Boston area people attached to it, maybe he was thinking one of them was tried for something? FJ was an instaget, no make that a pre-guess for me.

I thought the Women Make Passes and Guys Who Wear Glasses were pretty funny after our discussion of Dorothy Parker above 👆

• Love 6
1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

Well that common name [Adams] has some notable Boston area people attached to it, maybe he was thinking one of them was tried for something? FJ was an instaget, no make that a pre-guess for me.

That makes sense!  I normally just go with Smith, Jones, or Johnson.  I'm not sophisticated enough for regional specificity on this.

• Love 1

I randomly guessed for FJ, based on the year and the location, and was gobsmacked when my guess was correct.  Hey, whatever works, right?

The only TS I got was measles.  I also knew both "perforated states".

• Love 3

FJ was an instaget. 

I got the missed clues of clear cutting, midshipman and The Cutting Edge.

I got the entire categories of European History and verbs right.

Speaking of verbs, vacation is not a verb.  Well, technically it is, but it doesn't fit the definition of emptying something.  Maybe I guess it does. Never mind. 

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3

I pre-guessed FJ and spent the commercial break singing the Chad Mitchell Trio song... "Oh, you can't chop your Papa up in Massachusetts and then blame all the damage on the mice..." n "Shut the door, lock and latch it...Here comes Lizzie with a brand new hatchet!"

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Speaking of verbs, vacation is not a verb.  Well, technically it is, but it doesn't fit the definition of emptying something.  Maybe I guess it does. Never mind. 

The clue was From a word meaning "to empty", not that the word itself means to empty.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Lizzie Borden seemed so obvious I thought she must be the case from 200 years earlier.

I knew Lizzie Borden immediately. Did Ken say that the trial took place near Salem? Fall River is close to Rhode Island and Salem is north of Boston. I love that Maureen knew Steph Curry.

• Love 1