Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe because I'm probably a decade older than those of you who think you're "old," I went with Nancy Sinatra instead of Cher.

I have no memory of the Nancy Sinatra version of Bang Bang even though it was released in 1966, same as Cher's version - just listened to it and don't care for it at all.  Love Cher's version.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Hah! That's what I say to myself about 1/3 of the time, but then I come here and think "almost running categories" isn't "doing well." I might borrow this turn of phrase in the future. 🌞

I try to sort to the positive, and only compete against myself (and the mister). I try not to take myself too seriously.

43 minutes ago, Trey said:

I have no memory of the Nancy Sinatra version of Bang Bang even though it was released in 1966, same as Cher's version - just listened to it and don't care for it at all.  Love Cher's version.

I see that Nancy's version was used in Kill Bill Volume 1, so I wonder if that influences the preferred versions. I know that the versions of songs I imprinted on (as originals or covers) tend to be the ones I prefer and all others pale in comparison. There've been some, though, that blow that imprint up.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Much to say: 
1. according to this: https://www.sfgate.com/streaming/article/jeopardy-amy-schneider-oakland-champion-16757787.php the practice games use repeat questions, so the reigning champ is likely to do very well in those practices. That's got to create quite an intimidation factor and skew competitions in favor of the champ, right? Though I've noticed Amy wasn't first on the board in several of the last few games, so maybe it's not that big a factor.
2. Amy is by far my favorite of any of the big-streak winners.
3. And it's an encouraging sign of progress that a Mormon host on an extremely mainstream show is regularly chatting with Amy about her girlfriend, and with other gay contestants about their same-sex partners or spouses. 

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

Anyone thinking that next Friday (Jan 17) there will be a special "Betty White" category (being the centennial of her birth)?

Well, except that next Friday is Jan 14.  Maybe the following Monday?

Yes, you're right. For some reason, I thought yesterday was the 10th and not the 7th. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, illdoc said:

Anyone thinking that next Friday (Jan 17) there will be a special "Betty White" category (being the centennial of her birth)? If so, will there be some notion indicating that it had been taped months ago? There was a clue or two several years ago where they did put something on the screen to indicate it had been taped a month before, because it referenced something that was no longer true (or cringe-worthy, like saying "they've never had a hurricane" when they just had one)

There was also a clue they silently rewrote/had Alex rerecord because someone in the clue died after taping but before airing. The show can make edits that don't affect the outcome. But with Betty White they probably would say something.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Cher's more "hard rock" version of "Bang Bang" from the '80s. That was probably the one I actually heard first (I wasn't alive in the '60s). (I answered Sinatra.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned Cher's more "hard rock" version of "Bang Bang" from the '80s.

That was what made me do a double-take at the clue.  I knew it was Cher, because I know the song, plus they gave the "turning back time" hint indicating it's her, not Sinatra, but I was thinking of the '80s version at first, so thought, "Wait, that wasn't her first Top 10 hit!"  Then I remembered the original.

• Love 4

FJ was almost an instaget, Norwegian + Sea = Heyerdahl for me... I read about the Kon Tiki as a kid and it stuck with me.

Trivia: I was a Senior Girl Scout...a Mariner. We called our troop the Kon Tiki. Back then the GS organization took photos for a calendar (fund raiser) and our troop posed with Heyerdahl. In the flesh! I've always wanted to be a writer, so I was star-struck. He was sweet, gracious...and good looking!

• Love 11

Archive game for me, and I'm wondering if the "wealth" (instead of "wealthy") typo in the Short Hill, N.J. clue was on the archive, or if the archive is merely accurately reflecting what the show put out there.  No big deal if it's an archive typo, but last time this happened, it was the show's typo.  And that wasn't all that long ago.  Troubling if such errors keep getting by enough professionals to make air. 

The Copenhagen TS really threw me.  I guess they thought it was a trick, and they needed the capital of a country other than Denmark. 

I expected to suck in the Hugo Awards category, and I did indeed - all I knew was The Twilight Zone.  It wasn't a great first round for me.  That was the only category I blew, but I didn't run anything.  I missed two each in next in line and suburbs.  I technically also missed two in chess, but if I'd been able to see the pasta fork picture, I'd have known that one, so I'm giving myself credit and saying I missed one in that category.  I also missed one each in the rest.

I did well in DJ, though; I ran war and banks (giving myself credit for robot, which, having looked up pictures of the building, I know I'd have come up with had I seen the photo), and only missed one or two in the rest.

FJ was an instaget (or at least an instaguess that I figured was right), so I'm off to a good start.

12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Archive game for me, and I'm wondering if the "wealth" (instead of "wealthy") typo in the Short Hill, N.J. clue was on the archive, or if the archive is merely accurately reflecting what the show put out there.  No big deal if it's an archive typo, but last time this happened, it was the show's typo.  And that wasn't all that long ago.  Troubling if such errors keep getting by enough professionals to make air. 

The clue wasn't actually on the screen; it showed an image of an ad for the referenced window shade rollers while Ken read the clue (he correctly said wealthy, not wealth). The response in the archive is wrong, though. It's Short Hills, not Hill. (Ken also said that correctly.)

12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Copenhagen TS really threw me.  I guess they thought it was a trick, and they needed the capital of a country other than Denmark. 

I expected to suck in the Hugo Awards category, 

I did the same thing on the Copenhagen clue.

I got every other one in the Hugo Awards, at least.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I got FJ.  Whoo-hoo.!!!!

I got the missed clues of When I'm Gone, Copenhagen (really surprised at that one) and fluke (which was a fluke that I guessed it).

I had a pretty good night.Didn't run any categories, but had a bunch where I only missed one.

• Love 3

Woo hoo!  I also focused on the "brother" part  of the clue, and actually got FJ right!  Of course, I started off last week knowing FJ, and it all went downhill from there, but right now, there's hope!  

I also got the TS/missed DD of ghoul, Springsteen, When I'm Gone, Copenhagen, flukes, and Paul McCartney.  I was both surprised and sad that Springsteen and McCartney were TS.  And really surprised that Amy missed Copenhagen.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 4

Maybe it's because I watched on a horrible You Tube recording which had an echo problem, but this seemed like a rather rough game for everyone, including Amy. I was surprised no one knew FJ and none of the guesses were very good. 

I got insanity defense, Bruce Springsteen, Copenhagen, caesura, and FJ.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Maybe it's because I watched on a horrible You Tube recording which had an echo problem, but this seemed like a rather rough game for everyone, including Amy. I was surprised no one knew FJ and none of the guesses were very good. 

I pulled up a youtube video to check the wording on the Short Hills question and for a minute I thought I had somehow opened it again in another window that I couldn't find!

• Love 2

I got Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen two of my favorite singers. I got Final Jeopardy but I thought the category was too broad for its own good. If Amy wins out this week will she pass James?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Woo hoo!  I also focused on the "brother" part  of the clue, and actually got FJ right!  Of course, I started off last week knowing FJ, and it all went downhill from there, but right now, there's hope!  

Hope springs eternal! But you also got an A*, so that's as impressive in its own way as 5/5.

I looked at FJ, saw France, 1890, sadness, and brother was just the absolutely confirming detail. I honestly couldn't think who else it could be. I feel a bit bad for the lady in the middle who said Napoleon. Sartre in its own way was crazy too, but not so much.

• Love 2

I'm embarrassed to have missed FJ.
I assumed "notables" was not an artist or any other specific category.
I'm going to console myself with this being an example of failure to come up with the correct response due to the “burden of knowledge” rather than this being evidence of waning neurological function.

FWIW, the TS of Denial of Service was an instaget for me. 

• Love 4

I was confused and thought that the person in the clue was telling his brother that the pain of losing him would last forever...clearly I am projecting a bit 🙄 But I didn't get FJ and also guessed Napoleon as he was a French guy who I was pretty sure died in the 1800s (and Wikipedia tells me that was correct, 1821). Sartre was actually a logical guess, although about 100 years off.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

and fluke (which was a fluke that I guessed it).

I got this too and all because of X-files, I think I had never heard of one when the episode about the 'Flukeman' aired and for some reason I remembered it as a kind of worm ever since.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yes, Ken, I would have liked to see Friday's show, but my local station preempts Jeopardy whenever anyone is playing football or wants to talk about it.  Sometimes they air Jeopardy on their second channel that normally has sitcom reruns, but usually they don't bother.  Presumably Jeopardy has some sort of contract with the stations; can't they require that the stations actually air the show?  [/irked]

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I got this too and all because of X-files, I think I had never heard of one when the episode about the 'Flukeman' aired and for some reason I remembered it as a kind of worm ever since.

Ha - that is exactly why I got it, too.  I didn't know that's what the lobes of a whale's tail are called, but thanks to "The Host" (the first XF episode I ever saw), I know all about the fluke worm, and my affection for that episode means an immediate word association where flatworm = fluke first in my mind.  Since I didn't know what the tail part is called, I went with it.  And thought, "Thanks, Flukeman," when it was correct.

• Love 2

I’ve gotten to the point that when I hear the correct response, I’m happy when I can say “yeah that sounds right” and not “what? I never heard of that.”

But Springsteen??  What makes it worse is that I recently watched The Sopranos (finally, I know) and a throwaway exchange was something like “you’re late” “yeah, the highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.”

Also, I couldn’t dredge up Jet in time, but now I’m having earworms of large portions of Band on the Run. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve gotten to the point that when I hear the correct response, I’m happy when I can say “yeah that sounds right” and not “what? I never heard of that.”

But Springsteen??  What makes it worse is that I recently watched The Sopranos (finally, I know) and a throwaway exchange was something like “you’re late” “yeah, the highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.”

I forgot about the Springsteen TS! That shocked me. I sent the clue to a friend of mine - we went to see Springsteen together a while back (before Clarence Clemons died - haven’t been able to bring myself to go see Springsteen since) and she was also surprised it was missed.

And yes, I agree about feeling better if you have some idea even if you don’t get the answer correct - it makes me feel like Jeopardy is teaching me things and I am actually somewhat retaining them. 

• Love 4

I bailed halfway through tonight’s episode and deleted it from my DVR. I really like Amy, and I’m very happy for her success. She is definitely the real deal and I am continually impressed by the depth of her knowledge (unlike Matt, who seemed to flounder at anything “pop” related). But I’m bored with her, bored with the runaway games, bored with Ken … just bored. I want to see some real games again.  I’ll tune in again in about a month. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I got Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen two of my favorite singers. I got Final Jeopardy but I thought the category was too broad for its own good. If Amy wins out this week will she pass James?

Yes!  She'll have 33 consecutive wins 🤩 

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me today. As soon as Ken said “brother” I immediately thought of Van Gogh. I’m surprised Amy missed that one (the other two contestants, not so much.)

I also knew fluke, probably also from the “X Files,” ha!

Edited by Cotypubby
5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Maybe it's because I watched on a horrible You Tube recording which had an echo problem, but this seemed like a rather rough game for everyone, including Amy.

It was really rough for me too. Hugo Awards? Pictures of banks? Chess moves? No ma'am, those are not my areas of knowledge. I also thought the Copenhagen question was a trick, and flubbed FJ because I was focused on Paris, and couldn't think of any famous French brothers from that time.

I'm still confused about the chess category, admittedly because I wasn't playing close attention. But were those real chess moves? Or made up moves with chess puns? Or something else? I was totally confused.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm still confused about the chess category, admittedly because I wasn't playing close attention. But were those real chess moves? Or made up moves with chess puns? Or something else? I was totally confused.

Made-up chess moves; they were real, non-chess, things that shared a word in common with the chess tactic given in the clue -- e.g. insanity defense for Sicilian defense (the only listed chess move I'd ever heard of, as I don't play), gut check for discovered check -- so were jokingly proposed for the "New Chess Stratagem?" category.

• Useful 2
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

J! seems to have corrected it, so likely an archive typo.

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS/missed DD of ghoul, Springsteen, When I'm Gone, Copenhagen, flukes, and Paul McCartney.  I was both surprised and sad that Springsteen and McCartney were TS.  And really surprised that Amy missed Copenhagen.

I got Springsteen not because I recognized the song (I'm crap at lyrics out of context), but because it sounded like the wordy songwriter that he is (love him though). McCartney was a duh for me.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm embarrassed to have missed FJ.

I don't have an art background, but even though I know a fair bit about him, I could not come up with him. The mister did, and he has pretty much zero art background. Sigh...

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

I was confused and thought that the person in the clue was telling his brother that the pain of losing him would last forever...clearly I am projecting a bit 🙄 But I didn't get FJ and also guessed Napoleon as he was a French guy who I was pretty sure died in the 1800s (and Wikipedia tells me that was correct, 1821). Sartre was actually a logical guess, although about 100 years off.

I knew Napoleon was too early, so I went with Napoleon III. LOL.

11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Me too! That was one creepy episode.

I did pretty well, almost ran the Hugo awards. Missed Delaney, I was too absorbed in his beard, I think.

If they hadn't had Phil Collins' picture, I would never have guessed that category - who knew Phil collected Alamo stuff?

On all, it was pretty decent day. I don't think I got anything in Banks, but I really liked the Madrid bank.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

That chess category was crappy; not even clever.  Each clue had a different weird connection.

The category was ridiculous. It made no sense at all and it definitely did not assist the players in answering the questions in any way. If anything, it made it worse. Maybe that was on purpose.

That was the worst category I’ve seen in a long long time.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

The category was ridiculous. It made no sense at all and it definitely did not assist the players in answering the questions in any way. If anything, it made it worse. Maybe that was on purpose.

That was the worst category I’ve seen in a long long time.

Agreed.  Most times their cutesy categories are amusing but this was just confusing. I did get a couple of them though.

Like Amy, I went with Dreyfus for FJ.  Once again, I should have put more thought into my answer and I might have got to Van Gogh, but still, maybe not.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget for me but I think it was mainly due to some recent Prime Video viewing.  There is a show called The Art Mysteries (or something close to that) which explores the story behind a particular painting each episode.  The first one I saw dealt with a Van Gogh painting and I had seen some other show fairly recently which highlighted the relationship between the brothers.  The Art Mysteries show also helped me with the Seurat clue awhile ago.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

FJ was an instaget for me but I think it was mainly due to some recent Prime Video viewing.  There is a show called The Art Mysteries (or something close to that) which explores the story behind a particular painting each episode.  The first one I saw dealt with a Van Gogh painting and I had seen some other show fairly recently which highlighted the relationship between the brothers.  The Art Mysteries show also helped me with the Seurat clue awhile ago.

The New York Times' "The Daily" podcast has a feature called The Sunday Read; a while back it was a story about Vincent's sister-in-law and her role in his fame.

It didn't help me come up with the right answer but once I saw it I remembered it and said, "oh that makes sense."

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The New York Times' "The Daily" podcast has a feature called The Sunday Read; a while back it was a story about Vincent's sister-in-law and her role in his fame.

It didn't help me come up with the right answer but once I saw it I remembered it and said, "oh that makes sense."

I read or saw something fairly recently about her role as well - I think it was the other tv show I saw about Van Gogh.  If I remember accurately, she was really responsible for a lot of the acclaim he received after his death because Theo didn't live long after Vincent. 

• Useful 4

I've been crushing it from my couch lately. Don't keep score but I am only stumped a few times per game. (I don't delude myself that I could play at that level in the studio! And I know it's a, yes, fluke that I'm doing so well these past few weeks.)

Didn't get FJ because I skipped right past the critical brother point. I thought Wilde or Hugo, both of whom died in Paris around that time.

• Love 5

I got FJ instantly from "brother."  Of course I could've been dead wrong, but it just rang that bell for me.  As I might have remarked before, the biographical novel "Lust for Life" about Van Gogh made such an impression on me that to this day I can vividly recall where I was when I read it.

I understood what they were going for after the first clue passed, but count me in with those who thought Chess Stratagems was too clever by half.  I do think the writers get it right more often than they get it wrong on the sort of "cutesy" categories, though.

17 hours ago, Driad said:

Yes, Ken, I would have liked to see Friday's show, but my local station preempts Jeopardy whenever anyone is playing football or wants to talk about it.

WBZ?  My thoughts are with you!  I will reserve further comments on preemptions for another time, but I think Alex said it all anyway.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

My thoughts are with you!

Thank you!  I have contacted the station several times.  In some cases (e.g. Alex's last shows) they did air Jeopardy on their sitcom channel, but for their every-Friday-during-football-season preemptions, they don't.  Maybe they do it if they get a certain number of complaints.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

It's funny that lots of people are saying they got FJ from brother and I was just thinking "who was really depressed?"

I read quickly, so "sadness" hit my brain almost immediately after "brother"; thinking back, I believe my mind zeroed in a little bit more on brother, but it was mostly the combination of the two that instantly brought me to Van Gogh.  And then the year seemed right.  I didn't know (even though I've been to the Van Gogh museum, I did not retain this information) he died in France, but a Dutch artist winding up in/around Paris would certainly make sense, so it all seemed to indicate my instaguess was right. 

2 hours ago, rejnel said:

I've been crushing it from my couch lately. Don't keep score but I am only stumped a few times per game. (I don't delude myself that I could play at that level in the studio! And I know it's a, yes, fluke that I'm doing so well these past few weeks.)

Is that whale or worm fluke?
😁

• LOL 4

I got FJ but it was a complete guess based on Annie and Annie gets Your Gun are two musicals I've heard of.

I got the missed clues of Beverly Hills and topple.

I got the entire categories of 4S, stars, and stripes right.

I did much better in the first round then the second.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Instaget FJ for me today. As soon as Ken said “brother” I immediately thought of Van Gogh. I’m surprised Amy missed that one (the other two contestants, not so much.)

Amy said on Twitter that she also was surprised she missed it (and couldn't explain why she missed it).

I said Carrie for FJ tonight, clearly influenced by Sex and the City...and I was pretty sure there was something Sex and the City related on Broadway, and then the musical Carrie. Had no idea SJP played Annie as a child.

Did run the JFK category, but barely came up with PT-109 in time (I struggled with the last digit...107? 106?).

• Love 2