Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, SeanC said:

Including video clips of Pink and Jennifer Lopez made those almost insultingly easy (I knew them already, mind you, but even people who weren't music fans would recognize the latter at least).

I, on the other hand, was insulted by the fact we also had clips of Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark! Seriously, we needed to see Dick Clark?!! I mean, isn't the show called "Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve"????

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

All y'all who are tired of hearing "streak" must've applauded when Ken just said "runaway victory" yesterday.

Most likely I'm older than you, but I worked with college students until mid-2019, so age isn't really the issue; I was wondering if they would have accepted "J.Lo."
Wikipedia does.

But I used to watch pirated episodes of other shows on other sites until I realized I was supporting sex trafficking with my clicks to close their ads.🙁 So, don't do that.
Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. long ago realized that it made more sense to permit limited sharing of logins rather than waste money going after Auntie Em. Hopefully Jeopardy! will figure out how to enter the 21st century with their next contract negotiations.

So I tried to learn about Auntie Em and all I found is that she is a character from The Wizard of Oz.  So can you explain the reference please?

14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I am fascinated by the range of reactions to Amy's run (which sounds sniffy but is meant earnestly).

I've never heard "sniffy" - but I love it and will use it in future, as I can be taken as being sniffy sometimes. 😄

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I saw that, too! I ran out to do a couple errands, stopped at my parents' to pick up my computer (fixed! 40 bucks for the tiny plate that's under the power button) and decided to order lasagna from my favorite overpriced Italian place that only takes cash. Ordered an extra for tomorrow (I have no plans and I'm not complaining...it's just gonna be me, lasagna, cranberry lime soda with vodka, and Netflix). I don't usually watch the news but I got home at 6:48 so I just turned on the TV while I got settled (J! is on at 7 here). I do like the feel-good segments they usually do at the end. If there's a noteworthy Jeopardy run in progress they usually do a bit on it at some point.

Lasagna, cranberry lime vodka and Netflix sounds good to me. We typically celebrate "New York New Year" - which means we watch the ball go down in New York at nine (PST), and then go to bed early. We have had a couple of parties with that theme, -which lets everyone get home before the majority of the tipsy crowd.

13 hours ago, SeanC said:

Including video clips of Pink and Jennifer Lopez made those almost insultingly easy (I knew them already, mind you, but even people who weren't music fans would recognize the latter at least).

It took me a minute to recognize JLo because her hair was in her face most of the time.

11 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Danke schön!  Writers, if you're reading this, may I also suggest "Sinclair Lewis Carroll," "Kate Upton Sinclair"...I mean, I'm here all week.

Umlauts! Are you on a phone, or have you discovered an easy way to do umlauts on your keyboard? Currently studying German and the umlauts are hard to type.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Donna Brazile TS made me sad.  Not surprised, but sad.

I recognized her, but could not come up with her name.

55 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wrongly guessed a bunch of people for FJ and settled on Livingstone, which it turns out was better than my runner up guess of Leakey, in that Livingstone did die in the field, whereas Leakey died in London. I didn't consider the poles, and, even if I did, would never have come up with Scott.

I settled on Livingston too. I didn't consider Leaky because I don't think of archeologists as explorers. But I'm hopeless when it comes to the poles, and in any case I thought they were there earlier than 1912.

21 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

On the subject of the Pink and JLo clips, those ended up fairly easy for me too.  But when the clue first gave the name of the song, I admit I could only think of Shirley Bassey's cover.  I don't know what exactly it says about me that Shirley Bassey comes sooner to me than Pink on Pink's own song, but I don't mind it!

I had absolutely no clue that Shirley Bassey did that song. I looked it up, and boy the video is tonally different in the beginning, so much so that I thought it wasn't the same song. But then...the party got started.

I had a decent day, though I didn't run anything. I got at least 3 on most of the categories. Though I didn't realize all the answers started with "A" in A_______, until the last clue. Sheesh.

The closest I came to running a category was "Quick History" - only missing the first one because I keep confusing the Aztec, Maya, and Inca empires (I'm a little better with Aztec).  I did watch John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons (Netflix) a couple of years ago. It was very informative (and funny, though lots of blue language as I recall, if that offends you). That did help me a little, but I should watch it again, if I want to retain more of it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Umlauts! Are you on a phone, or have you discovered an easy way to do umlauts on your keyboard? Currently studying German and the umlauts are hard to type.

Funny you say that because I was annoyed to be trying on my computer but really wanted the umlaut!  My trick, instead of learning how to do it like a "normal" person, is to type the phrase I want into Google and copy-and-paste an appropriate result.  I switched from PC to Mac maybe 5 years ago and have adapted well except when it comes to the very different ways you do diacritic marks.  You have motivated me to remind myself that, for an umlaut on a Mac, you hold down option + u (no matter which letter you are going to put it over) and then release and type your intended letter.  Sometimes there is visual feedback in the form of an umlaut with a blank under it after the first step, which is then filled in.  Hope this may be helpful, unless you are on PC.

And I realize I should've been a good sport and linked to Shirley Bassey getting the party started instead of just lauding to her!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Lasagna, cranberry lime vodka and Netflix sounds good to me. We typically celebrate "New York New Year" - which means we watch the ball go down in New York at nine (PST), and then go to bed early. We have had a couple of parties with that theme, -which lets everyone get home before the majority of the tipsy crowd.

I had some of the soda last night; it wasn't as good as I expected (I've been trying all the flavors (there are 5) over the last several weeks and it's the only one I wouldn't buy again). It's not tart enough to say "cranberry" to me. I don't hate it and I'll finish the bottle, but I also have sour cherry lemon and I liked that enough to buy another bottle (the blood orange is good with vodka or dark rum, too...). Also when I opened the bottle it exploded all over my kitchen so I lost a good amount (not sure what happened; other than being on the fridge door, it hadn't been moved around, or dropped or anything...I poured the rest into a pitcher so it's probably half flat by now, but I don't mind that).

I'm on NY time so I don't have the option of watching the ball drop "early." There's a good chance I won't watch, anyway; I don't think I did last year, either. Usually I go to a friend's and we just have dinner and I bring dessert and we hang out. Used to watch the Twilight Zone marathon (until her daughter got old enough to pay attention to the TV and we had to switch to more kid-friendly fare), then turn on the ball drop a few minutes before midnight, then watch some of the performances and wonder "who are these people, anyway?" before I head home. Might even forgo the Netflix and just curl up with one of the ~600-page books I got from the library last weekend.

I usually just google the phrase I want and find it with the correct marks, then just copy and paste. 

I settled on Livingston too. I didn't consider Leaky because I don't think of archeologists as explorers. But I'm hopeless when it comes to the poles, and in any case I thought they were there earlier than 1912.

I also thought of Livingston, but for some reason I just knew it was wrong.

I had absolutely no clue that Shirley Bassey did that song. I looked it up, and boy the video is tonally different in the beginning, so much so that I thought it wasn't the same song. But then...the party got started.

Me neither. Now I have it cued up in another tab.

I did watch John Leguizamo's Latin History for Morons (Netflix) a couple of years ago.

...and added to my list, thank you!

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

We typically celebrate "New York New Year" - which means we watch the ball go down in New York at nine (PST), and then go to bed early.

We did something like that when we lived in Nebraska. Now we're in Eastern standard time, so that doesn't work anymore.

36 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I had some of the soda last night; it wasn't as good as I expected (I've been trying all the flavors (there are 5) over the last several weeks and it's the only one I wouldn't buy again).

I quite like the cranberry ginger ale, but the zero sugar version. I wish I could find some of the other flavors in zero sugar.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc. long ago realized that it made more sense to permit limited sharing of logins rather than waste money going after Auntie Em. Hopefully Jeopardy! will figure out how to enter the 21st century with their next contract negotiations.

1 hour ago, Leeds said:

So I tried to learn about Auntie Em and all I found is that she is a character from The Wizard of Oz.  So can you explain the reference please?

I'm not the one who made the original reference but pretty sure they're just referring to the generic mostly innocent little old lady (Aunt Myrtle, Gramma...) that people may share their logins with.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I quite like the cranberry ginger ale, but the zero sugar version. I wish I could find some of the other flavors in zero sugar.

Sometimes I'll add a splash of tart cherry juice to ginger ale. That's yummy (and makes a pretty color).

I try not to drink too much soda; I think the sour cherry lemon and blood orange, and maybe pink lemonade, are the only ones worth it for the occasional treat. Wegmans really needs to get them out of the vestibule so I don't see them every time I go in and out. 😜

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I mean, isn't the show called "Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve"????

I think it's weird that it's still called "Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve" when Dick Clark has been dead for (looks it up) nine years now.  I mean, I was a big fan of the guy, but let him go already!

As an official old person, I also did not recognize Jennifer Lopez.  I did recognize Pink, largely because of my long time crush on her.  Yes, I know she's more than a decade younger than me.  It's not creepy, I swear! 😀

I did not think of Antarctic explorers, and thus did not get Scott.  Which is especially embarrassing, considering that my first name is Scott.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

As an official old person, I also did not recognize Jennifer Lopez.  I did recognize Pink, largely because of my long time crush on her.  Yes, I know she's more than a decade younger than me.  It's not creepy, I swear! 😀

I'm an older woman, and I've always liked her very much. Not a crush, but then that's not my cup of tea. Though I wouldn't have wanted to be her parent. (after having read about her youth).

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Funny you say that because I was annoyed to be trying on my computer but really wanted the umlaut!  My trick, instead of learning how to do it like a "normal" person, is to type the phrase I want into Google and copy-and-paste an appropriate result.  I switched from PC to Mac maybe 5 years ago and have adapted well except when it comes to the very different ways you do diacritic marks.  You have motivated me to remind myself that, for an umlaut on a Mac, you hold down option + u (no matter which letter you are going to put it over) and then release and type your intended letter.  Sometimes there is visual feedback in the form of an umlaut with a blank under it after the first step, which is then filled in.  Hope this may be helpful, unless you are on PC.

Unfortunately, a PC. Well not unfortunately, I have my definite preference (having worked at Apple a time or two), and I choose not to use any of their products.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I  usually just google the phrase I want and find it with the correct marks, then just copy and paste. 

...and added to my list, thank you!

I do use Google Translate and do the same. I was hoping for a keyboard quick fix. Oh well...

I think I'm going to re watch Leguizamo's show again. A refresher course, if you will.

54 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I think it's weird that it's still called "Dick Clark's Rocking New Year's Eve" when Dick Clark has been dead for (looks it up) nine years now.  I mean, I was a big fan of the guy, but let him go already!

Not only that, but also this: I think it's actually "New Year's Rockin Eve," rather than the more natural (IMO) "Rockin New Year's Eve."  It's always bothered me more than it should, thinking about that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was hoping for a keyboard quick fix.

I found the REAL answer!!! pinkie.gif.4d33aa4863d589bf918511489f342118.gif

Note: I have installed Windows 11. Don't know if that matters.

At the bottom right of the screen is a keyboard icon.
When you click on it, you can click and hold any letter to see diacritics and other special characters, just like on a Mac:

Ë ë é à ç © ¿ —  ¢ ñ ² ½ ° ∞ § æ • 

Maybe even better??
Press Windows key + ;

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It took me a minute to recognize JLo because her hair was in her face most of the time.

That's what happened to me, too.  Everyone else I either knew without the video or recognized immediately when I saw them, but, since I don't know that song, when they first rolled the Lopez clip I couldn't tell who it was behind that hair.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Dick Clark may be long gone, but his production company lives on. I suspect it’s a branding thing— a way to keep the company name prominent. And holding on to the traditional name, with all the status that may imply, may help to retain viewers. But it’s not hosted by Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen, so I won’t be watching.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Donna Brazile TS made me sad.  Not surprised, but sad.

It surprised me! And also made me sad. I liked her, and expected her to be more memorable.

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

cranberry lime soda with vodka

Way to ruin a perfectly good vodka! Lol, I hate cranberries.

Happy New Year, everyone! (Or should I say, Happy Dick Clark New Year’s Rockin’ Day!)

• Love 1

December 31st:

[Pre-game] Okay, I may have added a little too much vodka so we'll see how this goes.

---

Well, I've certainly done worse...73% / 63% / 69%

J: Ran Toast, missed one in TV and V"urbs", and two in the others. There were no TSes in the first round. 

DJ: Ran Directional Geography, missed one Plants/Animal and Modern Day Folk Heroes. There were a couple TSes but I didn't get them.

FJ: "I dunno...John Lennon and Paul McCartney?" .......😲

lol..I was watching Iliza Schlesinger's Freezing Hot on Netflix before this and she has a bit about tapas. I would have gotten that one anyway but I found that amusing.

I liked Amy and Ken's marbles exchange. I think I've seen one of those videos; it sounds vaguely familiar.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

Archive game for me.

The Poetic Justice TS surprised me.

I only got two in TV Talk, but other than that did well in the first round categories; I just missed one in NY fiction and one in 21st century (I knew the pope's name wasn't Ratzenberger, that's the dude from Cheers, but I couldn't remember what his name actually was).

In DJ, I could have sat here until I died and not answered anything in the Loki category other than giant (which I got thanks to the Eli Manning hint).  I missed two each in everything else other than geography, the only category I ran.  It would have been three in folk heroes, but at the last second I got from "that 'Crikey!' guy" to "Steve Irwin".

Like the contestants, I got stuck on Simon and Garfunkel for FJ.  I didn't think that was right (I didn't think it would be a duo who went by their names), but couldn't get them out of my head.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Like the contestants, I got stuck on Simon and Garfunkel for FJ.  I didn't think that was right (I didn't think it would be a duo who went by their names), but couldn't get them out of my head.

I didn't even think of S&G. The word "schoolboy" made me think British...

• Love 6

Kicking myself over here!  I initially thought about Lennon and McCartney for FJ, but switched to Simon & Garfunkel at the last minute, because I thought it would be a duo who when by their names.  

And the only missed clue I got was the missed DD of horsetails.  Those are also known as scouring rushes.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Kicking myself over here!  I initially thought about Lennon and McCartney for FJ, but switched to Simon & Garfunkel at the last minute, because I thought it would be a duo who when by their names.  

That was almost exactly my thought process. I’m going to have to go back and look at how the clue was worded; I apparently let it lead me down the wrong path. I guess you could say the bridge over troubled water usurped the long and winding road. Plus they threw in the "fair" (Scarborough?)

Edited by SoMuchTV
Sorry
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I should have known Thursday’s FJ from the Monty Python skit.

I’m really surprised none of them got today’s.  Knowing everything about the Beatles finally paid off.  FYI, if you get on the show, it’s something to study. They do ask a lot of Beatles questions. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That was almost exactly my thought process. I’m going to have to go back and look at how the clue was worded; I apparently let it lead me down the wrong path. 

Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: "I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk"

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: "I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk"

That plus the category "Music Legends" made me think it was  a duo known on their own.  In hindsight Lennon & McCartney obviously fit the bill.

• Love 4

Church Fair in July immediately made me yell "John and Paul"!!!! I've read so many Beatles books but the one I haven't read yet is one written entirely about the day they met. "July 1957 John and Paul meet" or something like that...

• Love 3

I feel better about guessing S&G when that's what the actual players guessed.

I knew horsetail. I tend to do pretty well in plant categories, but we actually have horsetail here, in my yard, so I would have gotten it regardless. 

Marble racing videos are fun! It's more exciting than it sounds, and also manages to be somehow hilarious at the same time:

I first saw these when the first lockdown happened in early 2020. Some of them have narrators that are even more intense than this one, making it sound like the most tense race ever, which I find quite amusing. But all the ones I've seen narrate it in the usual play by play sportscaster style.

Edited by possibilities
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I first saw these when the first lockdown happened in early 2020. Some of them have narrators that are even more intense than this one, making it sound like the most tense race ever, which I find quite amusing. But all the ones I've seen narrate it in the usual play by play sportscaster style.

Now I need Andrew Cotter to do one of these...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Easiest FJ in a long time. I was surprised no one knew it. The first meeting of Lennon and McCartney is something I just assumed was common knowledge. Guess not. Simon and Garfunkel met in elementary school in 1953. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Useful 2

At the end of Amy's portion of Ken's chat with the players he said to her "Well, I'll be wishing your favorite marbles the best, Amy, because your favorites are now my favorites" and I'm 99% sure she teared up before continuing. smiling-tear.gif.849c5754ea571f690c7a6aeeb2fbfd74.gif
Ken seems to be an empathetic guy who knows what it's like to be the target of unkind social media 😞 and is not afraid to publicly support someone.

I got the TS of shirr (I've shirred fabric and heard of shirred eggs). 

I should have gotten Lennon and McCartney because I spent time today on my walk puzzling over Beatles vs. Beach Boys after someone posited that on Twitter. I was even humming tunes. But the "church" part of the clue made me think of some place like Memphis, and I thought it was more of a mentor-mentee meeting --like maybe Elvis or Willie Nelson and some younger guy. But nope. Liverpuddlians. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 10

Well, for FJ tonight S&G were the first pair I thought of, and I knew with certainty it was wrong. They met in elementary school and did a school play together. I couldn’t think of anything else though, but I was thinking along the lines of a pair known as a duo, so doubt I ever would have gotten to the correct answer. 
Glad Amy is continuing into 2022!

• Love 6

For some reason, my household went straight to musical theater: Lerner & Lowe? No, timing is off. Gilbert & Sullivan? No, timing is WAY off. At the last moment, I blurted out Simon & Garfunkel for no real reason. I felt a little vindicated when all the contestants did, too, but it was still a SWAG answer. 

But I was left wondering: who did they think was the fat one, and who was the drunk? 

• Love 4

Doh, at first I was thinking “Maybe two of the Beatles?” but then “Church fair” led my brain to “Scarborough Fair” so I went with Simon and Garfunkel.

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I could have sat here until I died and not answered anything in the Loki category other than giant (which I got thanks to the Eli Manning hint).

I wonder if the contestants knew those the same way I did, from the Marvel movies!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

But I was left wondering: who did they think was the fat one, and who was the drunk? 

Didn't Ken clarify after he gave the correct response that it was Paul who was fat and John drunk? The quote was from Paul's POV. 

We were surprised that all the contestants went for Simon and Garfunkel because schoolboy + church fair skewed British and youthful meeting seemed obviously Lennon/McCartney. But reading the discussion here I get how duo + fair led everyone's reasoning. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I feel better about guessing S&G when that's what the actual players guessed.

I knew horsetail. I tend to do pretty well in plant categories, but we actually have horsetail here, in my yard, so I would have gotten it regardless. 

Marble racing videos are fun! It's more exciting than it sounds, and also manages to be somehow hilarious at the same time:

That is awesome.  And I agree with @ams1001, Andrew Cotter needs to announce these.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Didn't Ken clarify after he gave the correct response that it was Paul who was fat and John drunk? The quote was from Paul's POV. 

Yes, he did. From the archive:

(Ken: [To Amy] No, you had the era--this is a Liverpool church fair where young [John Lennon], apparently the drunk, met [Paul McCartney], the fat schoolboy, the first meeting of the songwriters of The Beatles. )

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Hpmec said:

Simon and Garfunkel met in elementary school in 1953. 

This. I don't think you'd see two Jewish boys meeting at a church fair. Nevertheless, I STILL said S&G because I couldn't think of anyone else.

And RIP Betty White. I was SO hoping she'd host at least one game.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I know there are keyboard shortcuts but I'm too lazy to memorize them.

https://www.alt-codes.net/

And I'm too lazy to type in the codes, even if I could memorize them.

19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I found the REAL answer!!! pinkie.gif.4d33aa4863d589bf918511489f342118.gif

Note: I have installed Windows 11. Don't know if that matters.

At the bottom right of the screen is a keyboard icon.
When you click on it, you can click and hold any letter to see diacritics and other special characters, just like on a Mac:

Ë ë é à ç © ¿ —  ¢ ñ ² ½ ° ∞ § æ • 

Maybe even better??
Press Windows key + ;

That works - it still interrupts my typing, but it's definitely more accessible than the codes.

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't even think of S&G. The word "schoolboy" made me think British...

I didn't think of S&G either (though I honestly forget who I picked), but schoolboy just means schoolboy to me. Of course, I read so many British novels and watch so many of their tv shows, it's just embedded in my mind, I guess.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That plus the category "Music Legends" made me think it was  a duo known on their own.  In hindsight Lennon & McCartney obviously fit the bill.

This was exactly what happened to us. We were searching for a named duo - not one that became part of a four man group.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Thanks, I couldn't visualize these at all.

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At the end of Amy's portion of Ken's chat with the players he said to her "Well, I'll be wishing your favorite marbles the best, Amy, because your favorites are now my favorites" and I'm 99% sure she teared up before continuing. smiling-tear.gif.849c5754ea571f690c7a6aeeb2fbfd74.gif
Ken seems to be an empathetic guy who knows what it's like to be the target of unkind social media 😞 and is not afraid to publicly support someone.

It is exactly Ken's empathy and ease with the contestants that makes me like him so much. He's always kind and positive to the contestants who are down, and has a quick enough mind to make jokes or responses in the moment (ones that couldn't necessarily have been foreseen and scripted).

8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Doh, at first I was thinking “Maybe two of the Beatles?” but then “Church fair” led my brain to “Scarborough Fair” so I went with Simon and Garfunkel.

I'm not churchy, so I missed "fair" as an indicator of Britain. I only saw "church" and that could be anywhere. I know I didn't guess Simon & Garfunkel, but I have no memory of who I guessed (I suppose it was so bad of a guess I deleted it from my memory). I know the Righteous Brothers was my husband's guess.

8 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I wonder if the contestants knew those the same way I did, from the Marvel movies!

Raises hand. And from the Almighty Johnsons, a New Zealand series. If you like the Nordic myths, this one is a lot of fun. I think I saw it on Netflix, but you can now see it for free on IMDB tv (Prime has IMDB in its catalog). Free on IMDB means you watch commercials.

18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And RIP Betty White. I was SO hoping she'd host at least one game.

I know, right? It says something wonderful about her that when she died at 99 (nearly 100), I found it a shock, and not a "oh, s/he was pretty old" like most of the celebrities who die so old. And I felt really sad. What a run she had!

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I know, right? It says something wonderful about her that when she died at 99 (nearly 100), I found it a shock, and not a "oh, s/he was pretty old" like most of the celebrities who die so old. And I felt really sad. What a run she had!

I saw something on facebook that said something like "live in a way that when you die at 99 numerous people think it's not long enough." (It was a screenshot of a tweet and that is probably not very close to the actual wording, but that's the gist.) It seems a little poetic that she went on the last day of the year.

Would have loved to see her host Jeopardy just once, though.

35 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

It is exactly Ken's empathy and ease with the contestants that makes me like him so much. He's always kind and positive to the contestants who are down, and has a quick enough mind to make jokes or responses in the moment (ones that couldn't necessarily have been foreseen and scripted).

Still keeping my fingers crossed that they'll just make him the regular host. He grows on me more and more.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Ken needs to be the permanent host. He won me over by quoting the Simpsons without missing a beat. 

Remember his Simpson reference FJ response after IBM Watson beat up him and Brad?

OIP.jpg

Edited by opus
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

because schoolboy + church fair skewed British

Which is exactly why I went with Lennon/McCartney right after S &  G were eliminated😄 Maybe I should start really thinking things through instead of going with my kneejerk answers.

32 minutes ago, ABay said:

Musicians meeting through church says American south and African American for me so I went with Sam and Dave.

Some years ago my son was a musician on a cruise ship.  Sam was one of the guest musicians and he really liked my son's bass playing and wanted him to go on tour with him (Sam). But the cruise ship line wouldn't let my son out of his contract so that ended that.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Who are Sam and Dave? Never heard of them.

Sam and Dave

They were pretty big in their day but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call them 'legends'.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So much this. I absolutely love him as host, such a contrast to Mayim who "acts" the same as host as she does "acting" in her "brain" commercial, playing to the camera with her head tilting and grinning. I enjoy how he makes all the interviews about the players, not about himself, and he doesn't "rub it in" when players are behind or in the hole. He's clearly supportive of everyone, something I admire.

LOVE Sam and Dave! Jan and Dean, S+G, and the Everly Brothers too. Kingston Trio too, if they had been the Kingston Duo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12