Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Over on Reddit, someone very earnestly wants to know whether "Jeopcoin" is a real cryptocurrency.  He thought it was a joke at first, but got confused once they showed a picture of a device and mentioned a release date.

Heavenly Father, give me strength.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
37 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

When I read The Little Prince in high school French class, I took the English translation from the library.  Better safe than sorry.

I told my daughter I had to read it in French in high school, pretty sure I read an English translation also 😉; we also had to read L'Étranger by Camus, pretty sure I went with Cliffs Notes for that one.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Eric's somewhat over-the-top faces, apparently indicating uncertainty, annoy me as much as Mattea's spoken expressions of the same (which is to say, enough to comment on, but not enough to spoil the show or make me dislike them generally).

13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The current champions strained face on every answer he doesn't know.....can't watch it.  

I haven't noticed Eric's faces much. I probably noticed Mattea's physical quirks more because her frequent extraneous commentary made me look up at the TV more often. Normally I'm looking at my scorecard in excel between clues so I can mark my score.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Eric continues his pattern - fairly flat in the first round and then takes off like a shot in DJ.

I was off my game in the first round; I missed three in books and only ran two categories.  I did get all but one in TV, even though I'd never seen any of the shows other than ER.  And at least I did a lot better than the contestants in the name change category; I got all but Alec and Alex (I couldn't remember the Patterson character's name and had never heard of "The Boss Baby", so with both avenues lost to me, I had no chance on that one). 

I did as poorly in classical music as expected, missing three.  Other than that, though, I had a fantastic round in DJ!  I know jack all about cryptocurrency, so was dreading that category, too, but wound up getting all but two.  I ran the rest.  It was a complete flip flop of my usual performance by round.

I didn't know FJ, though.  I tend not to do well in Children's Lit, as childhood was so long ago I may not remember even if it's something I read (and this wasn't), as I read so many things they can't possibly all stick, and I'm quite deliberately never around kids now, so I have no current reference.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

FJ today was an instaget for me - Children’s lit + French = The Little Prince for me. 
I read it once when my roommate in undergrad was taking a children’s lit course and they covered that book. 

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, secnarf said:

FJ today was an instaget for me - Children’s lit + French = The Little Prince for me. 
I read it once when my roommate in undergrad was taking a children’s lit course and they covered that book. 

We read it in middle school in English. I did wonder whether Jeopardy would accept Le Petit Prince as a response. 

I sort of wanted Mayim to say something briefly to acknowledge that Sean's response of Pompeii was not entirely random, so I was disappointed she merely affirmed Eric with Mount Vesuvius and moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I knew one Opera answer. I am amazed at myself. So, yay me!!! 

Congrats! Seriously. Classical music is one of my worst categories. 

2 days in a row that I knew FJ. Read The Little Prince way back when, in English. Maybe high school?

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I haven't noticed Eric's faces much. I Normally I'm looking at my scorecard in excel between clues so I can mark my score.

Wow, so that answers my question as to how so many of you score yourself while watching. I attended school/college before computers. While I obviously learned to navigate the internet, I am a dinosaur when it comes to things like Excel. Never needed it. 

I'd like to keep track of my score, but not sure how I could. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I know it’s been commented on before, but seriously what is up with Mayim’s drawn out pauses before saying correct? She does it on every DD.

Eric: “What is… Phoenicians?”

Mayim: …

”Yes!”

Its not like it’s something that has to be double checked with the judges because maybe he meant something else, it’s one word, is it right or not!? Her response should be instantaneous. 
She did the same thing for another DD he got correct yesterday as well. 

Could you imagine Alex giggling every time someone hit a DD? 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, dgpolo said:

we also had to read L'Étranger by Camus, pretty sure I went with Cliffs Notes for that one.

My assignment in college was to translate it, line by tedious line. I was far too conscientious to use the Cliffs Notes, although in retrospect that would have been helpful.

FJ was a total guess for me. I’ve never read The Little Prince, but apparently I didn’t need to. 🙂 At least I didn’t have to translate it.

You people are killing me with the Globle and the Heardle and all the other “le”s. I’m never going to get anything done again. (But, keep them coming! I love it.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Okay.  I’ve spent the last little bit trying to find a comment someone made, maybe 2-3 days ago, but was unable to locate.  The point was made that Mayim behaves as though she’s a sitcom actor portraying a game show host on a sitcom.  When I read that, I nodded and moved on.  But now, days later, I can’t get that out of my head!  It’s exactly right.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 9
On 6/8/2022 at 11:01 PM, shapeshifter said:

Meteorologist is on my mental list of careers I've had in alternate universes, so I'm okay with the current champ, even though Ryan is my favorite so far this year. 

I automatically disliked him simply because he beat Ryan (who I was really hoping would be able to go on for a longer run).  But my husband, who rarely dislikes a contestant enough not to watch, cancelled the recordings until he sees online that Eric is gone. 

• Sad 2
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, secnarf said:

I thought of Babar first, then changed my mind because of the date. I never read The Little Prince, but I knew the narrator was a pilot and figured there was a connection with WW2.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

You people are killing me with the Globle and the Heardle and all the other “le”s. I’m never going to get anything done again. (But, keep them coming! I love it.)

Have you tried Octordle yet? (It's double the Quordle.)

My fave is Canuckle... literally, the Canadian version of Wordle, except it has Canadian flair (and is created by a family friend).

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 2

Another okay game for me although I got only two ts's, Ella/Elle and copacetic.

I did get FJ.  I think my knowledge of The Little Prince came from previous questions about it on Jeopardy! I have never read it so I just purchased it for my Kindle and will eventually get around to reading it.

Eric seems to be such an innocuous (but pleasant) player, I don't know how anyone could really dislike him.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Trey said:

I think my knowledge of The Little Prince came from previous questions about it on Jeopardy! I have never read it so I just purchased it for my Kindle and will eventually get around to reading it.

I hope the Kindle version has the beautiful illustrations!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, TakomaSnark said:

During Ken's (regular season) run, as I understand it, this was *not* the policy and that is what precipitated his receiving an advance.

Back during Ken's run,  we were told if we were a returning champ, our airfare would be taken care of.  Unfortunately, thanks to Ken, that was not an issue with me. 

Re; Thursday, I figured it couldn't be Armistead because John Quincy Adams would have been wayyy to young so it had to be the Boston Tea Party.  

I never really thought of The Little Prince as a kids book so I went with the only French children's book I could think of - Babar. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I hope the Kindle version has the beautiful illustrations!

Yes, it's illustrated but I haven't looked at it yet.

(edited)

@ProudMary, This is the statement I was referring to (though when I tried to quote it, it said it was 30 Helens - I tried every which way to quote that made sense, to get both the quote you responded to, and not to have it attributed to somebody else. Anyway, I gave up and took a screen shot. On re-reading, I realize I probably misread it to begin with.

1626283079_ProudMarySnip.thumb.JPG.3697bf0b739936fdd8bc6bc8b7036923.JPG

16 hours ago, Leeds said:

Well, I just tried Heardle for the first time.  Even after I heard the whole thing I had no idea what (or who) it was, and for the first four (?) clips I could have sworn I'd misunderstood the game and we were supposed to identify songs being played backwards.

So many songs start off with long, non unique intros. But there are some I got in the first three notes. Old ones, mind you. But still - some are that recognizable.

16 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

When I read The Little Prince in high school French class, I took the English translation from the library.  Better safe than sorry.

Comparing the original and a translation can help you learn a language. But it does sometimes depend on the translation - a good translator doesn't do it word for word, because certain things don't translate that closely, and a good translator also needs to be a good writer. I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German, and then in English. It was a much better book in German.

11 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

Congrats! Seriously. Classical music is one of my worst categories. 

2 days in a row that I knew FJ. Read The Little Prince way back when, in English. Maybe high school?

Wow, so that answers my question as to how so many of you score yourself while watching. I attended school/college before computers. While I obviously learned to navigate the internet, I am a dinosaur when it comes to things like Excel. Never needed it. 

I don't score myself, because for me it takes away from the game. I tried it once, using an app, and I hated it. I never thought to use Excel (which I use for many things), but it still would take away from my own particular enjoyment. I go to J! Archive when reading the forum, so I know how I did. But that's the next day.

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I know it’s been commented on before, but seriously what is up with Mayim’s drawn out pauses before saying correct? She does it on every DD.

Eric: “What is… Phoenicians?”

Mayim: …

”Yes!”

I've been annoyed by those pauses, but this once seemed extraordinarily long and I was more than annoyed, I yelled at the tv. Maybe I was testy - my husband just had surgery and it was a tense day (all good, nothing bad, went well).

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Re; Thursday, I figured it couldn't be Armistead because John Quincy Adams would have been wayyy to young so it had to be the Boston Tea Party. 

Indeed, six years old, as it turns out. A little young to argue before the Supreme Court. 😉

It was an okay game for me, I ran Drink up Pop, almost ran TV Abbreviations and Pump.

Homely vs comely is a funny story in our house. We had an Asian Indian friend who told us about his first date in America, and he told the girl that she was homely - not knowing it had a different meaning in America. He didn't get lucky. LOL

Got FJ  -  I never read the book - not even in my Library School Children's Lit class - but got it right away, as did my husband for some odd reason.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

For FJ, I thought of Babar and Madeline, but settled on The Little Prince.  

Eric doesn't really bother me, but I will admit I wish he had not defeated Ryan.  I felt the same when Jonathan beat Matt Amodio.  

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

For FJ, I thought of Babar and Madeline, but settled on The Little Prince.  

Eric doesn't really bother me, but I will admit I wish he had not defeated Ryan.  I felt the same when Jonathan beat Matt Amodio.  

The difference for me (I was sad when Ryan lost and when Matt lost) is that I like Eric, and wasn't that keen on Jonathan. But maybe it was just that it was a bigger change, and had nothing to do with Jonathan.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Comparing the original and a translation can help you learn a language. But it does sometimes depend on the translation - a good translator doesn't do it word for word, because certain things don't translate that closely, and a good translator also needs to be a good writer. I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German, and then in English. It was a much better book in German.

Homely vs comely is a funny story in our house. We had an Asian Indian friend who told us about his first date in America, and he told the girl that she was homely - not knowing it had a different meaning in America. He didn't get lucky. LOL

Got FJ  -  I never read the book - not even in my Library School Children's Lit class - but got it right away, as did my husband for some odd reason.

Reading Agatha Christie in French was a great help in improving my somewhat basic foreign language skills.  When I later tried to read her in English I realised why -- her written English is simplistic and unsophisticated.  (Apologies to all you Agatha Christie lovers, and I'm not saying she didn't write a good story/mystery/whodunnit.)

An unfailingly courteous elderly Indian man, who learned his English during the Raj, once asked me whether I was a virgin.  When I looked at him quizzically, he clarified, "A maiden?"  Another pause.  "Unmarried?"  Ah, got it.  I was glad I could answer yes to that one.

• Wink 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Reading Agatha Christie in French was a great help in improving my somewhat basic foreign language skills.  When I later tried to read her in English I realised why -- her written English is simplistic and unsophisticated.  (Apologies to all you Agatha Christie lovers, and I'm not saying she didn't write a good story/mystery/whodunnit.)

An unfailingly courteous elderly Indian man, who learned his English during the Raj, once asked me whether I was a virgin.  When I looked at him quizzically, he clarified, "A maiden?"  Another pause.  "Unmarried?"  Ah, got it.  I was glad I could answer yes to that one.

Yeah, nobody reads Agatha Christie for her sparkling prose. 😀  She could put together a cracking good mystery plot, however.

My best friend's wife tells a story (I don't know if it's literally true, or if it's been exaggerated through multiple tellings) that when she was in junior high, she had somehow gotten the idea that the word "virgin" meant something like "dull" or "stick in the mud," someone who never liked to have fun or enjoy themselves.  Which resulted in her once yelling out in the middle of a crowded lunch room, "I am NOT a virgin!"

Edited by MrAtoz
  • LOL 10
41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The difference for me (I was sad when Ryan lost and when Matt lost) is that I like Eric, and wasn't that keen on Jonathan. But maybe it was just that it was a bigger change, and had nothing to do with Jonathan.

Yes! I did not particularly like Jonathan, but I had to ask myself if it was because he defeated Matt, and would I have had the same reaction if he had just been a generic champ.  I'm not sure.  

Funny though, as much as I liked both Amy and Mattea, I did not have any negative feelings about the contestants who defeated them.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I built a little grid for each round in excel, and then below that I worked out the formulas so it does the math for me and calculates my percentage for each round and the total game. I mark a 1 if I got it right and a 0 if I got it wrong. It sums the relevant cells and divides by the count of the cells with a number in them (originally I was just dividing by 30 but then one day there was a clue they didn't get to and I realized it wasn't an accurate percentage so I had to fix that). I go to the J! Archive before the game starts and just copy the category titles from there (because I can't type fast enough sometimes to do it in real time).

I used to have a sheet with five games worth so I could see how I did for the week but I got bored with that. Now I just have one game and a list on the side where I note my FJ scores for the contest thread.

• Useful 3

Well that was a so-so game for me.  Ran 2 categories in the first round (Abbreviated TV and Pump-Pourri) and none in DJ.  I thought Ancient History would be a great one for me but I missed 2 clues, ones which I should've gotten.  I should've run classical music but couldn't remember cadenza.  And I missed wren in Silent W because I forgot the category. 

My stumpers were Ella & Elle, Alex & Alec, Andrew & Andrei, Italian Symphony, New Zealand and Mads Mikkelsen.  FJ was an instaget.  We read The Little Prince in French in my senior year of French class.  We also read a mystery by Georges Simenon, which I preferred.

The Jeopcoin category was stupid and they should never, ever do it again.  (Alright, maybe I'm a little biased because I only got biathlon, but still.)

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Unrelated (probably), shortly before I turned on the TV, Facebook suggested this group to me…

I suspect that's a very small group, lol.

18 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

My senior French class had 6 or 7 students.  We had to read L'Estranger by Alex's fav, Albert Camus, in French.  One of us got the only English copy out of the school library and we passed it around for the same reason.

18 hours ago, Driad said:

Mayim is not my favorite host, but at least she pronounces "meteorologist" with all six syllables (at least when I have heard her).  Local TV & radio news people sometimes leave one out, which annoys me.

That is one of those words I have a problem pronouncing for some reason, although "meteorology" gives me even more problems.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in German, and then in English. It was a much better book in German.

Huh, interesting.  I guess R.L. Stevenson in the original language wasn't as compelling?  I can't imagine that, but then, I love his books.

8 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I never read The Little Prince, but I knew the narrator was a pilot and figured there was a connection with WW2.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery was, among other things, a pilot in the French Air Force, before and during WW2.  He disappeared on a reconnaissance mission in July 1944.  So that was a very good deduction.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

My best friend's wife tells a story (I don't know if it's literally true, or if it's been exaggerated through multiple tellings) that when she was in junior high, she had somehow gotten the idea that the word "virgin" meant something like "dull" or "stick in the mud," someone who never liked to have fun or enjoy themselves.  Which resulted in her once yelling out in the middle of a crowded lunch room, "I am NOT a virgin!"

When I was young enough to have only encountered the word "virgin" in reference to the Blessed Mother, I understood it to be a title like "saint" that could refer non-literally to any upright person.  I told a teacher who had given me a break that I thought she was a real virgin.  I was, as you can imagine, invited not to use that word anymore.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

@ProudMary, This is the statement I was referring to (though when I tried to quote it, it said it was 30 Helens - I tried every which way to quote that made sense, to get both the quote you responded to, and not to have it attributed to somebody else. Anyway, I gave up and took a screen shot. On re-reading, I realize I probably misread it to begin with.

1626283079_ProudMarySnip.thumb.JPG.3697bf0b739936fdd8bc6bc8b7036923.JPG

You actually were quoting 30 Helens… but she was just making a dumb joke. Thanks for the kind intentions, though. 😌

2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Me, too, although I don’t think I would have warmed up to Jonathan anyway. There was something about him that I found off-putting. Eric, though? Innocuous (as described by @Trey above) is the perfect word. I neither like him nor dislike him. He’s just there.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Huh, interesting.  I guess R.L. Stevenson in the original language wasn't as compelling?  I can't imagine that, but then, I love his books.

Not for me, anyway. Mileage varies considerably. Not a fan of Agatha Christie, either - I read a far larger sample of her works.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My senior French class had 6 or 7 students.  We had to read L'Estranger by Alex's fav, Albert Camus, in French.  One of us got the only English copy out of the school library and we passed it around for the same reason.

That could explain your confusion over the spelling of the title . . . .  😉

• LOL 2

June 10th:

J!: Pretty good first round….ran Shirts and Dates, missed one Animal and Austen, and two Movies and Where Am I? for 80%.

DJ: Second round…missed one in P is the Only Consonant and 2-3 in everything else. But I got both DDs again…

FJ: Nope.

TSes were November 11th and snake.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

TSes were November 11th and snake.

Those were my only ts's too.

Instaguess on FJ.  I was pretty sure it was Peru but not positive.

Otherwise, it was a pretty uneventful game.  I noticed Mayim told the contestant she could wager up to $1000. 

• Applause 2

I said Argentina.  We all know geography is not my strong suit.  At least I didn't say Mexico.

I got the missed clue of snake.

I got the entire category of Jane Austen right.  Other than FJ fairly good game.

• Like 2

Why is Mayim still SO bad at this?! First her waiting for the voice in her ear gave Eric a chance to correct a response that seemed intended to simply be incorrect. Then on the next clue, instead of just ruling him wrong, she spotted additional info (“looking for the date”) instead of just making a ruling or giving an open-ended prompt for more (never heard that done before) - which appeared to prompt Siobhan to give the date of the incorrect holiday Eric had named.

It’s one thing when she’s just that perceptible beat behind the game so much of the time, but when she’s actively muddying proceedings, I’m sick of it. I wish they’d buy out her contract or move the studio without telling her or do something, anything, so she can get back to making brain dead sitcoms and providing questionable public health advice full time, and leave our show alone.

I know it’s all been said, and I’m sure some are tired of hearing it, so I’m sorry. I’m just gobsmacked that she’s still there. I find her, both professionally and as far as I know personally, utterly intolerable.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 8

Archive game for me due to basketball preemption, so there were a couple I didn't get based on the text but think I would have had I been able to see the picture, so I'm giving myself credit.

It was another lackluster first round performance for me.  I only ran two categories (although I did get all but one in two more), and I blew movies, missing all but one.

I did better in FJ.  There I also ran two and almost ran two more, but I didn't blow anything.  I should have ran a third, P, but couldn't spit out pupa in time (I don't count off time, as that would distract me, but I don't let myself sit here and ponder for what feels like longer than I'd typically have on the show).

FJ was an instaget; thanks to periodically quizzing myself on geography, I have a pretty good mental map to consult.

• Like 1

Small quibble, but shouldn’t “crew” sweater have required a BMS, instead of Mayim correcting to “crew neck” and awarding the point?

I of course did not get FJ. Geography. As I explained to my husband, I haven’t gotten to South America yet on Globle.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Well, I listed every country along Brazil's western border EXCEPT Peru...but had no idea which country was the answer. I guessed Bolivia because I thought it had the longest border.

• Like 4

Maybe we should just set up a separate thread for Mayim and limit the negativity to that outlet?  Or maybe I should just stop following until her run is over and I can go back to enjoying the "conversation"?

• Sad 1
  • Applause 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Maybe we should just set up a separate thread for Mayim and limit the negativity to that outlet?  Or maybe I should just stop following until her run is over and I can go back to enjoying the "conversation"?

I must say this suggestion smarts a bit.  I remember when the motto of a predecessor site was “spare the snark, spoil the networks."  In that spirit, perhaps I’ve been a bit overgenerous.

I don’t mind a general suggestion to simmer down - I think of us as being among friends here.  I’m also not egomaniacal enough to think this was just about me - I know it’s not personal.

Between harsh but civil criticism of a TV host and what could be read as barbed remarks about other members, I do think the latter could more seriously impact the forum.

But I don’t want to be a drama queen about it.  (He said in his fourth paragraph.)  I already keep plenty I think about Mayim to myself, but I will take the note and keep a little more.

I very much enjoy the conversation, and hate to know I am helping anyone want to leave.  I'm sorry for that.  I'll scream in the shower or something before I need a containment zone.

Edited by 853fisher
fixed quote
  • Like 5
  • Hugs 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, I listed every country along Brazil's western border EXCEPT Peru...but had no idea which country was the answer. I guessed Bolivia because I thought it had the longest border.

Same here.

I reckon I’m the only person that has not read The Little Prince in any language whatsoever.  Truth be told, I had never heard of it until I was given a copy after my son died.  The artwork on the cover broke my heart, thus I never cracked the spine.  Still can’t.

• Hugs 6
  • Sad 8