Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Meh game. I only ran Movies! (preguessed Airplane!, too); my TSes were legion, angels, and Deschanel. Got all the DDs but no FJ (I did think of a Toni Morrison novel but it was Beloved and that didn't make sense; I also said Roots).

The women were so close I was rooting for them both to be wrong and have Manav win with his $500.

Edited by ams1001
spelled Manav's name wrong
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm going to be watching something else tonight, so just checked the archive.  Thankfully, being unable to see the photos wasn't really an issue; I mostly either didn't need them or they wouldn't have helped.  I am giving myself credit for Deschanel, as I'm pretty sure I've had recognized them.

Poor Manav was a non-entity in this game, with a Coryat score of just $600 (4 right, 2 wrong).

I was a little surprised by the Giselle TS, or at least that it was the $2000 clue; with my very limited knowledge of ballet and opera, I found that the second-easiest (after Romeo & Juliet) clue to guess in the category.  Well, maybe tied with Pagliacci as second.  Doomed couple = Romeo & Juliet, opera + clown = Pagliacci, and ballet + dead woman whose name is in the title = Giselle.

I continue my streak of not doing as well as I normally do in the first round, but I was closer today.  I ran two, got all but one in two, but then missed two each in the others.  If only there were bonus points for pre-calling, as I did with Airplane!

I didn't get any better than okay in DJ, either.  I didn't run a single category there, although I got all but one in four of them.  In the others I missed three and two.

FJ was an instaget, though, so I ended strong.

• Love 4

I didn't get FJ tonight, though I should have!  I just couldn't come up with anything other than Roots, and I knew that was wrong.

I did get the TS of Sugarloaf, angels, short takeoff and landing, Luna moth, and Deschanel.  Short takeoff and landing was a total guess, just deciphering what STOL might stand for.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Short takeoff and landing was a total guess, just deciphering what STOL might stand for.

Same here.  I'd never heard aircraft referred to that way, but I guessed it from the context.  The S had to be Short (since "short" wasn't in the clue, it had to be in the response) - and I watch enough plane crash documentaries to know 500-feet is a short runway - so I figured TOL had to be Take-Off and Landing. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Ken seems more natural

I agree.  I was not a Ken fan in the beginning because I felt he didn't have the voice of a "broadcaster."  Now, I want him to remain host.  I've grown to like him.

Regarding Mattea, she annoys me tremendously and I can't wait for her to lose.  The waving, the blathering on and on, the asking the questions with a scrunched-up puzzled face like she's not sure (when we all know she's sure.)  

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've never heard anyone utter a single one of those proverbs in my life.  I figured out all but "a change" as being the thing that's "as good as a rest", but I'd never actually heard any of them.

"A change is as good as a rest" is the only one I had heard before. I guessed the others but was doubtful about flour.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

my TSes were legion, angels, and Deschanel.

I was a little surprised that "head of a pin" didn't lead anyone to angels but I am probably older than I think. And even though I was sure it was angels because of the pin, I was surprised to have to think of them as having no bodies, since there seem to be places in the Bible where they are described as having some kind of visible form, and on that basis Mattea's incorrect guess of "souls" was not unreasonable.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

But you are talking pre- vs post- (during?) pandemic. In my area (Chicago), J! airs at 3:30---a time when most of those "under 35" were probably at work in 2019, but at home during the pandemic shutdown, and therefore are able to watch J! now.

In my area it has always aired at 4:30 p.m., also a time when people are at work or kids aren't home yet from school. I'd take any survey with a grain of salt that says what ages watch this show. Make that a whole salt shaker.

51 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

"A change is as good as a rest" is the only one I had heard before.

While I spent all my time trying to parse that into one of my favorite quotes, "Half a loaf is better than no rest at all."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

No disrespect to anyone, but I simply can't stand watching Mattea (and so I don't, just like I don't watch when Mayim is hosting), for all the reasons people have already said.  I don't care about her thought processes, just answer the question (question the answer?) and move on.  If it's a question of filling time, then run another commercial, or have some kind of insider show snippet. 

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

No disrespect to anyone, but I simply can't stand watching Mattea (and so I don't, just like I don't watch when Mayim is hosting), for all the reasons people have already said.  I don't care about her thought processes, just answer the question (question the answer?) and move on.  If it's a question of filling time, then run another commercial, or have some kind of insider show snippet. 

I will say, she seemed to be a little less chatty tonight. (Though it did feel like her interview segment was three times as long as the others, I didn't hear as much in-game chitchat, and I don't even think she lamented her DD bets.)

• Love 1

Jeopardy not on in its timeslot Friday in New York City because of NFL Draft.  When this has happened before they have made a quick announcement about when it will be shown. (Usually 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Jeopardy not on in its timeslot Friday in New York City because of NFL Draft.  When this has happened before they have made a quick announcement about when it will be shown. (Usually 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.)

In the Pacific time zone it just came on at 10 p.m., but I already know the result 😀.

3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I don't get it. Seems a lot of people watch the players rather than the games (clues-board). And if people don't like a player who waves her hands around or says "What's" instead of "Who's," they won't watch. I'll admit that voices get to me at times, but I'd never consider not watching. Because I play along. Unanswered or missed questions might make me feel old, but I'm firmly convinced that playing along every night keeps me young.

To me, learning new things in various categories is like taking a college course in trivia

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I do watch for the game, but when a contestant (or host) is frequently adding extra commentary that doesn't add anything useful or entertaining, or just being slow and taking forever to pick the next clue or whatever, it really distracts me from the game. I can only think of one person whose actual voice really bothered me that way, and I don't normally notice physical quirks all that much, because I look away from the TV a lot when the clue is not on the screen. If Mattea would dispense with all the chatter she wouldn't bother me at all.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I don't get it. Seems a lot of people watch the players rather than the games (clues-board). And if people don't like a player who waves her hands around or says "What's" instead of "Who's," they won't watch. I'll admit that voices get to me at times, but I'd never consider not watching. Because I play along. Unanswered or missed questions might make me feel old, but I'm firmly convinced that playing along every night keeps me young.

To me, learning new things in various categories is like taking a college course in trivia

So, just between you and me and anyone else who is easily annoyed by voice idiosyncrasies: 
Yesterday Ken's voice seemed a tiny bit too high and strained. 
Is it always this way and I'm just noticing as with:

5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

It’s like getting a roommate (or a spouse) who despite being wonderful has a few flaws. But they don’t really bother you— maybe you even find them endearing at first. And then over time those same flaws begin to grate on your nerves until one day you

--or is it something new, in which case I hope he's okay. 
After I noticed it, Alex's lower pitched voice was playing in my head for comparison
--until I got my head back in the game.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yesterday Ken's voice seemed a tiny bit too high and strained. 
Is it always this way and I'm just noticing

I didn't notice him sounding different...

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't notice him sounding different...

Me either. His voice does get a little high pitched at times, but it doesn’t bother me. It’s just his voice. Ken is kind of the anti-Mattea for me.* The more I see him, the more I like him.

*Also the anti-Mayim.

As for turning off the show because you don’t like a particular contestant… I don’t really get that, either. Or maybe I’ve just never been THAT annoyed by anyone. But while my main enjoyment comes from playing along and testing my knowledge, there is a secondary enjoyment that comes from watching people I like do well. So in that regard, it does matter who’s playing.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, mjc570 said:

just like I don't watch when Mayim is hosting

I still haven’t heard any good reasons why so many here dislike Mayim. She’s not as at ease as Ken, and some don’t like her opinions on vaccines (which are irrelevant and she likely has to be vaxxed to host, so ?).

Sometimes I wonder if there’s some innate sexism going on, since there’s more dislike of female contestants and of the female host. That’s common everywhere, even if people don’t realize it; women are judged more harshly, especially for external reasons (looks, gestures, voice). Who knows?

• Love 11

For the record I'd never stop watching because of any host or contestant.  They're just annoyances.  I'll get over it. 

I don't even get too bent out of shape anymore over knowing or not knowing answers. You learn new things.

I also learn i know nothing about current music from jeopardy. Every category like that it's 'who are these people!'

1 hour ago, Shermie said:

I still haven’t heard any good reasons why so many here dislike Mayim. She’s not as at ease as Ken, and some don’t like her opinions on vaccines (which are irrelevant and she likely has to be vaxxed to host, so ?).

Sometimes I wonder if there’s some innate sexism going on, since there’s more dislike of female contestants and of the female host. That’s common everywhere, even if people don’t realize it; women are judged more harshly, especially for external reasons (looks, gestures, voice). Who knows?

She tries too hard to make jokes and seems stiff at the role. 

There were plenty of male guest hosts I criticized.  I thought Aaron rodgers was awful and that was before we knew his own insane vaccine issues. 

I am a fan of lever Burton in general but he wasn't good at all as host. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

BUT - her wardrobe gets ragged on a lot more than a man's would because that's how our culture works - the women get to wear the varied, colorful outfits while the men stand around in drab suits. Of COURSE we're gonna notice & comment on her clothing choices. But it's not some nefarious gender-driven hatred. It's what Western culture does.

I like suits. Always have. I do tend to take a close look at what Ken is wearing and occasionally have a comment favourable or otherwise on the suit of the day.

Last night on Wheel of Fortune (only the last 5 minutes before Jeopardy! starts - honest :) ) Vanna said that she has worn over 75,000 outfits on the show. Pat said he had 3 outfits. A gray suit, a blue suit and a black suit. He has let the yellow one go.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Wasn't the Song of Solomon, from the Bible, a Jeopardy! answer just within the last couple of weeks?

Last week, Thursday April 21, category Biblical Devotions clue:

"Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it" is from the 8th chapter of this biblical book"

This was a DD that contestant Alex did not get.

Ken's response: (Alex: [Exhales])
(Ken: Alex?)
(Alex: What is Genesis?)
(Ken: No, I'm sorry; it reads like a love poem because it is...)

the Song of Solomon

Edited by dgpolo
fix
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I read Morrison's Song of Solomon (years ago) and I still didn't get it. I am impressed by all the contestants because I can't even access the info when I do have it, and I would never pass the test, let alone cope with actually being on the show.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I also learn i know nothing about current music from jeopardy. Every category like that it's 'who are these people!'

Every time the response is "Who/what is [some artist or song I've never heard of]?" my immediate though is "Good question!"

29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I would never pass the test, let alone cope with actually being on the show.

I don't know if I would pass the test (don't even know how well you have to do to pass), but I'm certain I wouldn't do well on the game itself, on stage, on camera, tons of lights and people....

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

WABC will be airing it from 3:07-3:37 AM overnight tonight, just double checked my DVR schedule.

Edited by theartandsound
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I think I gave up on James & Matt very early in their runs. I liked Amy but I was ready for her to go by the time she left because I just got tired of no one getting even close to knocking her off. I guess quirky is okay for some but it’s just not my bag. Julia was really the only long running contestant that I was sad to see leave. I quit watching for about ten years so I missed Ken’s run but I love him as host. Plus, I found out that he’s good friends with Andy Richter which amuses me for some reason. 

• Love 5

I’ve seen several comments recently about Mayim being an anti-vaxxer. She did say years ago that she had chosen not to vaccinate her kids at that time. She declined to give the reason why, stating it was personal (fair enough), but insinuated there were reasons to delay. She did eventually get them vaccinated, is vaccinated herself, and has said numerous times that she believes vaccines are essential. So while there are many valid reasons to dislike Mayim (want a list?), I don’t think being anti-vax is one of them.

I can’t believe I just defended Mayim. I feel icky.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

So while there are many valid reasons to dislike Mayim (want a list?),

Yes, because I still don’t see it. I loved her as Amy on TBBT, I enjoy her as a host, and I admire her intellect and education. 

Mattea finally bid large last night, for good reason. I’m impressed that people seem to know so much about ballet and opera (these do turn up on the show more often), given that they’re not exactly mass market entertainment.

• Love 4
On 4/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, Shermie said:

Yes, because I still don’t see it. I loved her as Amy on TBBT, I enjoy her as a host, and I admire her intellect and education. 

Mattea finally bid large last night, for good reason. I’m impressed that people seem to know so much about ballet and opera (these do turn up on the show more often), given that they’re not exactly mass market entertainment.

I don't dislike Mattea, I just don't enjoy her as a contestant. She is not the first  and won't be the last. As I said before I don't enjoy the show as much any more for many reasons including not enjoying this forum as much, but that is my issue. 

People are entitled to their opinions as I certainly have mine , but the Mayim thing has been  over the top for me. I also think it is unfair to compare her  to Ken. He has spent years likely knowing this would be a shot for him and preparing. I personally did not feel that any former contestant should be host and I still feel that way. I also don't think he is SOOO GREAT as a host that they should stop looking, but I have resigned myself to the fact that he will be. 

All the rhetoric around Mayim's clothing, etc. has been disappointing and I absolutely believe that women have had it harder. I remember one really great contestant that had a large chest and won a few games and one particular show she was with two other females. I was so excited to see three smart women playing which rarely happened on Jeopardy, but while she was on everyone kept harping on her outfits that in their opinion showcased her chest.  As a person with a similar one, it doesn't  have to be showcased, they are just there😀, but just another example of how a man is not scrutinized that way. 

I am certainly not perfect, but I can only remember one contestant that rubbed me a certain way and I still he believes he was one who was trying to make an "impression" for future opportunities.  

It is hard to know if someone has a hidden disability so in my mind I try to keep that possibility at the forefront.  I really try hard not to post a lot of negative comments about contestants and when I am thinking them I challenge myself as to why it bothers me.  Different is not scary, it is just different, but we also all don't have to like the same thing.  As my dad explained it to me once, that is why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors and there is a Heinz 57...or is it 67??

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 15

I'll be watching the draft again, so another archive game for me.  Thankfully, not being able to see the pictures was mostly a non-issue.

Poor Terri was the non-entity this time, with six right and three wrong and a Coryat score of just $800.  Julian kept things quite even in the first round.

No one guessing gallons surprised me.

I was back to form in this first round, finally, running four categories, getting all but one in another, and only missing two sitcoms.  And I had a great round in DJ, running three categories and getting all but one in a fourth.  I missed two in 18th c.  Sadly, even though I am the goddess of cats, Felines in Fiction was my worst category; I only knew two.

I had no earthly idea for FJ, though.  Could have sat here until I died and not come up with that; I don't think I've ever even heard of it.  I listened to a bit of it, and don't recognize it.

• Love 4

I ever-so-confidently answered the 1812 Overture.  Like I was completely sure that had to be right. I had never heard of the other thing, so won't berate myself for not trying to think of another answer.

I got the missed clues of gallons, transpiration, John Bull, and Jamaica.

I got the entire category of atmosphere right.

Another bad night for me.  I might have to stop watching.  I'm getting depressed at how stupid I am:)

• Love 4

I've heard of FJ, but I don't think I've ever heard it.  However, I would never in a million years have been able to come up with it tonight.  Oh well.  Not my best FJ week this week.

I did at least get the missed clues of troy, transpiration, and couplet.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've heard of FJ, but I don't think I've ever heard it.  However, I would never in a million years have been able to come up with it tonight.  Oh well.  Not my best FJ week this week.

Same.

Not too bad in the first round; ran Language of Sport, missed one Sitcom, Newspaper/Magazine, and Atmosphere, and two in the others. Second round, not so great. Cooking Terms and Felines in Fiction were my best categories; only missed one each, but missed three Politicians and Middle P and four in 18th century. No FJ. My TSes were Girls 5 Eva, Statesman, and cadence.

• Love 3

There are orchestra versions of "Pictures" too.  The one usually played was orchestrated by Ravel; I prefer the one by Ashkenazi.  IIRC, the painter was a friend of Mussorgsky's who had died suddenly.

Edited by Driad
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2

If I hadn’t smoked so much pot back in 1971, I might have gotten FJ: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition_(Emerson,_Lake_%26_Palmer_album)   
Maybe Mattea’s father played it on the family stereo when she was growing up.

I liked the blouse Mattea wore today (Friday). 

I thoroughly enjoyed Ken joking about David Lynch and Laura Palmer with regards to the utterly weird backwards alphabet song sung by the more challenging other contestant, Julian.

And I really enjoyed Mattea’s origin story about playing 1986 Trivial Pursuit with her father.

• Love 13
39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Ken joking about David Lynch and Laura Palmer with regards to the utterly weird backwards alphabet song sung by the more challenging other contestant, Julian.

Yes! When he was doing that, all I could think of was Twin Peaks.

Weird talent, but still impressive in its own way.

• Love 6