Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had to stop watching "Family Feud" with the sound on.  One of our dogs (now 11) gets very anxious...trying to climb up on me in my recliner.  SHE WEIGHS 80!  she's afraid of the buzzer/ringer sound.  This is all new (sadly).  She didn't mind gunshots, fireworks, fire crackers (we live between two high schools, so Friday night fireworks are a way of life).

Months later it has started with Jeopardy.  I'm mostly down to watching the contestants give their little "interesting" stories.  Then I fast-foward to Final Jeopardy.  We don't want to medicate ... her or me.

15 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

We don't want to medicate ... her or me.

Aww… poor pup. This is a time when headphones can be your friend!

SHE needs 'em.  She doesn't make a sound.  She just looks worried and tries to fit ON me where there's no room.  A FAT dog trying to climb on top of a FAT woman on a reclined recliner.  It should be a cartoon.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

About the middle guy struggling with his buzzer, can anyone here explain what was going on? Did he just have really bad technique? Or do buzzers sometimes get low on battery juice? Or clogged with sweat and lotion?
And I apologize if all of the above questions sound like they are double entendres. 🤣

3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I had to stop watching "Family Feud" with the sound on.  One of our dogs (now 11) gets very anxious...trying to climb up on me in my recliner.  SHE WEIGHS 80!  she's afraid of the buzzer/ringer sound.  This is all new (sadly).  She didn't mind gunshots, fireworks, fire crackers (we live between two high schools, so Friday night fireworks are a way of life).

Months later it has started with Jeopardy.  I'm mostly down to watching the contestants give their little "interesting" stories.  Then I fast-foward to Final Jeopardy.  We don't want to medicate ... her or me.

Can you stream the audio to headphones? I know there are gadgets that stream TV audio to hearing aids.
I always watch TV with captions on, but I don't really advise that for Jeopardy! because sometimes the caption appears a couple of seconds early. I've trained myself to not look at the captions when they're doing the clues.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

The radiator TS stunned me

Me, too! 

On 4/1/2022 at 8:46 PM, Deskisamess said:

Poor middle guy, he didn't seem to know where he was.

It looked to me like he was having trouble with the buzzer.

I knew New Zealand. I didn't realize that was obscure knowledge at all. 

I enjoyed the quick pace of Friday's game.

For the dog: If you can get something that makes the buzzer sound, you might be able to train her to associate it with good things instead of scary ones. Look up Karen Pryor and clicker training for more details, but the short story is that if you make the sound and give her a treat and do it at random times, she will start to relax her association with it being scary. I had a cat with a phobia that I trained out of it in this way.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2022 at 7:23 PM, 853fisher said:

The Ringling Museum in Sarasota is well worth a visit. In addition to the mansion shown in the clue, they have a nice circus collection and a large generalized art museum, among other things.  Another favorite bit of history came up with the Pierce-Arrow, which is the car the Gilbreths drove in "Cheaper by the Dozen." I don't remember how I came across it but I absolutely loved that book!

I thought I was the only person in the world (of Jeopardy!) that had actually read Cheaper by the Dozen and its sequel Belles on their Toes. The Pierce-Arrow was called Foolish Carriage because it was foolish for a man with that many children to think he could afford a horseless carriage.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I thought I was the only person in the world (of Jeopardy!) that had actually read Cheaper by the Dozen and its sequel Belles on their Toes. The Pierce-Arrow was called Foolish Carriage because it was foolish for a man with that many children to think he could afford a horseless carriage.

Add me to the group that has read "Cheaper by the Dozen" & "Belles on their Toes", enjoyed them & the Mom was an early example of a "Working Mom"....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Add me to the group that has read "Cheaper by the Dozen" & "Belles on their Toes", enjoyed them & the Mom was an early example of a "Working Mom"....

Read both books and saw both Myrna Loy movies. If someone I know gets startled I still use "six and nine-tenths inches" in always getting a joy to see Clifton Webb's reaction to the son honking the horn while he works on the car.

• Love 4

I never read the books, but saw the films because of my utter adoration of Myrna Loy, and to this day when I'm scrolling through my program guide, see "Cheaper By the Dozen", and realize it's the Steve Martin film of the same name instead, I'm disappointed (even though I love Bonnie  Hunt).

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Can you stream the audio to headphones? I know there are gadgets that stream TV audio to hearing aids.

It's not that important to me.  It's usually on the DVR and I can just make sure she's asleep, outside, or in another room.   And...I think time is passing for me and "good" hearing aids w/Bluetooth.  I need to bite the bullet.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I always watch TV with captions on, but I don't really advise that for Jeopardy! because sometimes the caption appears a couple of seconds early. I've trained myself to not look at the captions when they're doing the clues.

I agree.  My son (53) and I ALWAYS watch WITH captions.  Sometimes the "captions people" aren't professional and they cover important info with their captions...we adjust.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Never read the book, but I played Frank Sr. in a recent community theater production of the play.

• Love 8
(edited)
6 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I agree.  My son (53) and I ALWAYS watch WITH captions.  Sometimes the "captions people" aren't professional and they cover important info with their captions...we adjust.

Closed captioning is more difficult to generate accurately or in sync with the speech with a live show than with a scripted one.

I always use closed captioning even when I have headphones (well, that's when I'm exercising, so I need the extra info due to outside noise).  Except for live shows, such as Jeopardy (well, not that it's exactly live, but I don't want the answers coming up before we guess).

The mister doesn't like them, but his ears aren't any better than mine, but he's in denial, so I make him suffer through it for me.

In my city they use a auto-captioning tool for the City Council meetings, and its mistakes are absolutely hilarious. It's kind of worth it to watch, since in general those meetings are boring. And we're a small city, so it makes us quaint.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I think I've read Cheaper by the Dozen but it was a looooong time ago.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I think I've read Cheaper by the Dozen but it was a looooong time ago.

Me too.  I did get Pierce-Arrow but it wasn't because of the book.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Trey said:

Me too.  I did get Pierce-Arrow but it wasn't because of the book.

Never read the book(s) but easily knew Pierce-Arrow,  being a fan of old automobiles. It's one of my niche fields of knowledge, so yeay me. Besides, wasn't a photo of the radiator cap (another TS I knew) shown of the archer? I wasn't paying that much attention so I could ignore/flip channels quickly.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, WhoisMark said:

Read both books and saw both Myrna Loy movies. If someone I know gets startled I still use "six and nine-tenths inches" in always getting a joy to see Clifton Webb's reaction to the son honking the horn while he works on the car.

I still saying “play mumblety peg if that’s what you want to,do” and use the exclamation “snake’s  hips” when something unexpectedly good happens.

• LOL 2
On 4/2/2022 at 11:39 PM, j5cochran said:

I've read both books, and my brother's class performed both plays for their junior and senior high school plays. I've also seen the Myrna Loy movies.  

One of the Gilbreth children, Frank B. Jr., wrote several books and was a columnist for a Charleston, SC newspaper writing under the pseudonym Ashley Cooper.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I've read both books, and my brother's class performed both plays for their junior and senior high school plays. I've also seen the Myrna Loy movies. 

Me too, except for the plays. I read them back in high school, which for me, was late 60s, early 70s. When I got married and had kids I tried the -morse code in the bathroom- thing. It didn't work.

I was walking my dog, that's her over there👈, someone set off a firecracker, for months I could not walk her in that direction, then for a  while I could walk that way but across the street, finally she would let me walk the usual way. Poor puppy.

I loved the way they presented the acrophobia clue, a game or two ago.

I was also surprised by the radiator TS, mostly because I knew it and I know next to nothing about cars.

I got all the birth month flowers.                                                                                  

• Love 4
On 4/1/2022 at 8:00 PM, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of South Pacific, Dr Doolittle, and copper.

Me, too, as well as Pierce Arrow and radiator.

I should've gotten FJ.  I did briefly think of New Zealand because the Aotearoa sounded Maori, but I read "Dutch-based name" as meaning the country had been a Dutch possession and so moved on to Surinam without ever remembering that old Zeeland is in the Netherlands.  Oy.

• Love 3
(edited)

Nice to see so much affection for "Cheaper by the Dozen."  I have yet to forgive anyone involved with the dreadful alleged remake starring Steve Martin.

I was surprised to see Nell fall apart, but I guess that's the way it goes.  Maybe she didn't like the categories?  Producers discourage FJ "shoutouts" but I guess she was over it by then.

I know to say "king" in French, but otherwise had no hope in FJ.  I know about some shows I don't watch because I read an article or see friends talking about them.  I really don't recall hearing anything about "Succession" except that maybe I've read its name a few times.

2/3 players knew it and it's won several Emmys, so I can't complain nobody's ever heard of it, but the viewing figures seem quite low (1.7 million viewers across all platforms was a "record high" for them, per Deadline).  The media landscape seems so fragmented these days.

What I did gather from a little Googling is that the show is EP'd by Adam McKay and Will Ferrell.  That doesn't sound like my cup of tea.  I guess I'll remain happily in ignorance.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3

My best round in a while - 87%! Ran Hit of the Decade and Ben Franklin and missed one each in everything else. Got the DD and TSes of Cape Kennedy, Wilmington, and Poor Richard's Almanac. (One of my college roommates lives in Manchester-by-the-Sea so that one was easy.)

And I tanked in DJ (44%) but I did get one DD (Hammurabi) and the TSes of Changes/Ganges, Heath/Breath, and Aveeno (a brand I use almost every day).

I do not watch Succession so I did not get FJ. (I have heard the family name and several of the cast members were on one of the late night shows a while back but it never would have come to me.) Final score 67%.

• Love 4

I've never even heard of Succession, so knowing the French for "king" didn't help me at all.  

But I was able to get several of the many TS, including Cape Kennedy, Wilmington, Poor Richard's Almanack, Changes & Ganges, delta, and wharf & scarf.

• Love 3
(edited)

I said the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire because I didn't know.

I got the missed clues of Cape Kennedy, Wilmington, Francis Drake, Poor Richard's., wharf & scarf and vestige & prestige.

I got the entire category of Asian Monarchs right an dthe entire partial category of writers births wrong.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I do not watch Succession so I did not get FJ. (I have heard the family name and several of the cast members were on one of the late night shows a while back but it never would have come to me.) Final score 67%.

Even though I haven't watched Succession, FJ was my most instant instaget ever, in part because I too have seen the cast member(s) on late night shows, but mainly because the family name of Roy was a NY Times crossword clue not too long ago, the answer to which I had to look up,

image.png.1a7da84f17dbb81c762d4b2e9e7eb5f3.png

which, contrary to some popular opinions, in the words of Deb Amlen of The New York Times, is "Not Cheating, It’s Learning."

It’s Not Cheating, It’s Learning

Tip: Don’t be afraid to look up answers. You’ll become a better solver for it.

Let me say something that may be controversial, but it needs to be said: It’s O.K. to look something up when solving a crossword. 

Crosswords are ultimately learning tools, whether you’re learning some trivia or an interesting new word or phrase. When you look something up, you’re learning so you’ll know it for next time. 

Of course, some solvers may tell you that looking up the answer to a clue is “cheating,” but to us, that way lies frustration and a path to giving up. And that’s no fun. Crosswords are a game, and games are supposed to be fun. 

Still not sure looking things up is fair? Here is outright permission:

“It’s your puzzle. Solve it any way you like.” — Will Weng, the second crosswords editor of The New York Times (1969 - 1977)

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/crosswords/how-to-solve-a-crossword-puzzle

I was surprised the new champ didn't get Succession, but he probably spends more time on nonfiction (history, geography, etc.) which won him the game.

I caught an interview last week of Mandy Patinkin and Ken Burns talking about their BENJAMIN FRANKLIN series, so that category was almost a run for me.

Changes - Ganges as a TS was surprising. 

Anyone else a little disturbed when the THE HIT OF THE DECADE category's middle three clue responses were 70s, 80s, and 90s in order? If they hadn't been asked in order, maybe one of those would have been answered incorrectly?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I caught an interview last week of Mandy Patinkin and Ken Burns talking about their BENJAMIN FRANKLIN series, so that category was almost a run for me.

They were on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else a little disturbed when the THE HIT OF THE DECADE category's middle three clue responses were 70s, 80s, and 90s in order? If they hadn't been asked in order, maybe one of those would have been answered incorrectly?

I was just glad they didn't want the artists...(I knew Elvis, of course, and I probably would have eventually come up with Falco and C+C Music Factory, but not nearly in time).

• Love 3

I was surprised by the Cape Kennedy TS; not that I thought that specific fact was very well known, but that the years would have made at least one person's light bulb go on.  The Poor Richard's Almanack TS stunned me, especially when Nell got halfway there.

I missed two in golden and one in decade (if they'd included a '60s song instead of skipping over that decade, I'm sure I'd have run it), but got everything else in the first round.

I had a fantastic DJ; I ran monarchs and writers, and got all but one in the rest (I should have run geography, too, as I knew the one I missed - caldera - but just couldn't get it from my brain to my mouth in time).

Alas, my FJ instaget streak did not survive into a second week.  In fact, I didn't even have a guess.  I feared I was doomed when I saw the category, and, indeed, it was not one of the handful of shows I watch or something I'd picked up via cultural osmosis.  I don't think I'd ever even heard of the show.

• Love 3

Some surprising misses tonight, how could none of them have ever heard of Cape Kennedy!?

Instaget FJ for me. I’m surprised so many people here say they’ve never heard of the show, it’s won a ton of awards and is HBO’s big current drama.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

Instaget FJ for me. I’m surprised so many people here say they’ve never heard of the show

Some of us don't have cable of streaming channels.  None of my friends or relatives have ever mentioned the show.  I knew the name was Roy or similar, but I never heard of the show.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, I figured out that the last name was probably Roy, but that was of no use to me as I have never heard of Succession.

I’ve heard of Succession, but never watched nor do I know anything about it. I figured the family name was LeRoy or something similar, but that was it.

• Love 3

A lot of people probably don't have HBO Max as it's one of, if not the most expensive of the various streaming services. To me, it's worth it because the quality of HBO projects is a cut above the rest. Succession is by far my favorite current show, so FJ was an instaget for me. If you have an opportunity, watch it. It's outstanding. Not only has it won a crazy number of Emmys, but at this year's Directors Guild awards, Succession swept the drama race, earning all five slots in the dramatic series category. That's never happened before.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I got FJ because my husband watches Succession, and evidently I’ve picked up some info through osmosis. About all I really know about it is that a Culkin and Cameron from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” are on it. 

• Love 3

Belatedly mentioning that I also read Cheaper by the Dozen in seventh grade. I liked it at the time, but when I saw the play version years later as an adult, I was struck by what a tyrant the dad was. He treated those kids like employees. I didn't realize the sad reason he was so intense: that he knew his health wasn't good and that he didn't have long to teach them. The mother supposedly hated the book because it showed her as a sweet SAHM instead of the working woman in a male-dominated STEM profession that she actually was. I never read the sequel, Belles on their Toes, so I assume it showcased her brains better. Did you know she invented, among other things, the garbage can with a pedal?

Last night I knew Poor Richard, Changes/Ganges, Aveeno, and Patek Philippe. I never watched Succession, but I knew enough from cultural osmosis to figure it out. Mandy Patinkin was one of those slow emphasize...every...word guest readers, but they did clear the board so I can't complain too much.

I didn't expect Nell to be gone so soon, but Camron seems OK.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even though I haven't watched Succession, FJ was my most instant instaget ever, in part because I too have seen the cast member(s) on late night shows, but mainly because the family name of Roy was a NY Times crossword clue not too long ago, the answer to which I had to look up,

image.png.1a7da84f17dbb81c762d4b2e9e7eb5f3.png

which, contrary to some popular opinions, in the words of Deb Amlen of The New York Times, is "Not Cheating, It’s Learning."

I was surprised the new champ didn't get Succession, but he probably spends more time on nonfiction (history, geography, etc.) which won him the game.

Changes - Ganges as a TS was surprising. 

I, too, believe in learning from my daily crossword puzzle! I'll get it next time!

I started watching Succession when season 2 was airing because I was hearing so much about it, so it's interesting that so many people haven't heard of it! Cool that we clearly have such different lives and influences, but come together in Jeopardy love ❤️ 

Loved the Words That Should Rhyme category - challenging and fun! I did way better than the contestants in that one... But I did not get vestige and prestige. 

I am happy anytime I see Mandy Patinkin. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Belatedly mentioning that I also read Cheaper by the Dozen in seventh grade. I liked it at the time, but when I saw the play version years later as an adult, I was struck by what a tyrant the dad was.

The play also has some very dated "humor" where dad does his "one-man minstrel show," complete with stereotyped dialect, to the great amusement of the family.  We cut that part out.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

Well, I figured out that the last name was probably Roy, but that was of no use to me as I have never heard of Succession.

I have heard the name but that's it (don't have HBO), no idea what it's about or anybody in it. Since I also know nothing about the show called The Royals, I guessed that, since Royal had the Roi in it.

This would have been a new taping day for Nell, right? Maybe if she had been able to just keep going she would have done better.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

This would have been a new taping day for Nell, right? Maybe if she had been able to just keep going she would have done better.

That's kind of what I was wondering about too. Did she "celebrate" too much over the weekend? Or was she up most of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights with insomnia? Or maybe some life distraction took precedence. 
There are often players who I think "Could 'ave been a contender" if the luck of circumstances had been different, but I would have liked to see Nell win 5 games and go onto the Champions tournament.
There seem to have been quite a few 4-timers since Amy.
Alas, Nell was just a one-timer.
But I am glad it was a substantial amount of $26,800, which would be about $13,400 after taxes, or maybe more like $12-$13K after NYC taxes. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've never even heard of Succession, so knowing the French for "king" didn't help me at all.  

But I was able to get several of the many TS, including Cape Kennedy, Wilmington, Poor Richard's Almanack, Changes & Ganges, delta, and wharf & scarf.

I've never watched Succession but clearly absorbed some info about it from various media sources because I got FJ correct.  And I got all those missed answers as well.  While I was impressed that Nell knew that Newark exists, I was a bit flabbergasted that anyone who'd heard of the town would think it was the largest city in Delaware.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And I tanked in DJ (44%) but I did get one DD (Hammurabi) and the TSes of Changes/Ganges, Heath/Breath, and Aveeno (a brand I use almost every day).

I got Aveeno, mostly because I've seen a zillion commercials for its various products, but also because I currently have a bottle of its body wash in my shower.  It works fairly well for dry skin in the winter.

12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

A lot of people probably don't have HBO Max as it's one of, if not the most expensive of the various streaming services. To me, it's worth it because the quality of HBO projects is a cut above the rest. Succession is by far my favorite current show, so FJ was an instaget for me. If you have an opportunity, watch it. It's outstanding. Not only has it won a crazy number of Emmys, but at this year's Directors Guild awards, Succession swept the drama race, earning all five slots in the dramatic series category. That's never happened before.

I've heard of it, but the subject matter is not anything which would ever interest me.  

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That's kind of what I was wondering about too. Did she "celebrate" too much over the weekend? Or was she up most of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights with insomnia? Or maybe some life distraction took precedence. 

Or the other contestants were faster on the buzzer or the categories weren't good ones for her.  

• Love 4

I'm in what's apparently a small cross-section of people who 1) have never watched the show, 2) knew exactly what show they were going for, because all the buzz I've read about it, but 3) could not dredge up the name of it to save my life.  Oh well.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Fex said:

Loved the Words That Should Rhyme category - challenging and fun! I did way better than the contestants in that one... But I did not get vestige and prestige. 

I really enjoyed that category, too (as I generally do those types), but I had no chance at heath & breath because I'd never heard the word heath.  So I knew it was something and breath, but there was no word I knew for a wild tract of land that would fit.  I got the rest, though, and for some reason got a particular kick out of Changes & Ganges.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I really enjoyed that category, too (as I generally do those types), but I had no chance at heath & breath because I'd never heard the word heath.  So I knew it was something and breath, but there was no word I knew for a wild tract of land that would fit.  

I have heard the word "heath" but got it because I thought of Heathcliff on the moors in Wuthering Heights (which I have actually never read).

[moor: a tract of open uncultivated upland; a heath]

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I really enjoyed that category, too (as I generally do those types), but I had no chance at heath & breath because I'd never heard the word heath.  So I knew it was something and breath, but there was no word I knew for a wild tract of land that would fit.  I got the rest, though, and for some reason got a particular kick out of Changes & Ganges.

I know what a heath is but kept thinking "inhale" and couldn't get past it.  Even though "inhalation" was in the clue.  But I loved the category.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, 853fisher said:

2/3 players knew it and it's won several Emmys, so I can't complain nobody's ever heard of it, but the viewing figures seem quite low (1.7 million viewers across all platforms was a "record high" for them, per Deadline).  The media landscape seems so fragmented these days.

What I did gather from a little Googling is that the show is EP'd by Adam McKay and Will Ferrell.  That doesn't sound like my cup of tea.  I guess I'll remain happily in ignorance.

That rating was for the Succession season finale. And for a show on a niche streaming service like HBO, 1.7 million viewers watching a single episode at the time of release is actually quite good. Lots of people (like me) don’t start a streaming season until it’s complete, and may not get to that finale for weeks, or months, later. 

It’s hard to compare streaming ratings to network because they’re usually measured differently, and because time shifting is so common with streaming, but even a wildly popular network series like This is Us only pulls in about 9 million viewers per episode.

I watched the first season of Succession, but never got around to seeing more seasons… yet. There’s just so much else to watch. But I expect I’ll get back to it at some point. I did think it was very well done, with strong writing and acting. The fact that Will Ferrell and Adam McKay’s names are attached is somewhat misleading— it’s not in the genre you might expect from them.

• Love 3

19 hours ago, secnarf said:

I knew Roy would be the family name, but I got to Succession with drive by of Empire. I had no idea of the family name in either show, but ended up with the right one somehow. I've  never seen it, though I saw the cast on Colbert (I think). It didn't sound too interesting to me, and I don't pay for HBO max. Once there's enough stuff built up on it that I want to see, and I don't have much to watch on my other streamers, then maybe I'll pop for a month or two.

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have no freakin' idea how I got Aveeno.

My husband, who uses Aveeno products didn't get it, while I did (and I'm not the one who shops for them either).

It was a decent board for me, as I recall. Looking forward to watching the Benjamin Franklin documentary - I think I ran the category. But Mandy, bless him, is not a swift speaker.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

That rating was for the Succession season finale. And for a show on a niche streaming service like HBO, 1.7 million viewers watching a single episode at the time of release is actually quite good. Lots of people (like me) don’t start a streaming season until it’s complete, and may not get to that finale for weeks, or months, later. 

It’s hard to compare streaming ratings to network because they’re usually measured differently, and because time shifting is so common with streaming, but even a wildly popular network series like This is Us only pulls in about 9 million viewers per episode.

I watched the first season of Succession, but never got around to seeing more seasons… yet. There’s just so much else to watch. But I expect I’ll get back to it at some point. I did think it was very well done, with strong writing and acting. The fact that Will Ferrell and Adam McKay’s names are attached is somewhat misleading— it’s not in the genre you might expect from them.

Your last comment gives me a little hope!  I don't see myself paying for another streaming service in the near future, but maybe I'll share it with a friend one of these days or something like that.  All you say about how ratings are measured and what is considered a high number these days is true.  I guess I was just caught off guard.  Netflix, which I do subscribe to, doesn't release any ratings.  I don't think I'd ever seen average same-day viewing figures for any show, certainly not one considered very successful, measured in the hundreds of thousands.  It's a good thing that our culture is less monolithic than in the past, but the drift to different media "islands" sometimes makes me feel isolated.

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

While I was impressed that Nell knew that Newark exists, I was a bit flabbergasted that anyone who'd heard of the town would think it was the largest city in Delaware.

I don't know too much about Delaware, but I know the three largest cities are Dover, Newark, and Wilmington.  By the time the second player guessed incorrectly, I would've been set if I were the third!  Don't ask me to name a fourth, though.  (Probably the closest I could've gotten was remembering that Bethany Beach is in Delaware, but I couldn't've confidently tell you whether there is a town by that name, at least until I looked it up just now and saw there is.)

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I didn't realize the sad reason he was so intense: that he knew his health wasn't good and that he didn't have long to teach them.

One reason I think the book stuck with me is that, IIRC, it ends fairly abruptly with the father's death.  At that age I had basically no experience with the death of those close to me so it was a very powerful idea that the family would support each other and get through a devastating loss, which recovery I eventually read about in the sequel.  I'll have to dig my copy out and read it again, now that I'm older and perhaps wiser.

• Love 1