Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: The Good Ones / S08.E02: The Lake House

• Start Topic

The Good Ones

Yep, no shock the season opens with catching up on the last year. You know, with all the cop stuff. And covid. And Black Lives Matter. It's gonna be weird seeing Scully without Hitchcock, but I like that he has things like the Viewmaster to entertain himself. Love how Hitchcock retired the moment he could, and he's much more involved via Zoom. Yeah, loved that he went to Brazil and got catfished by a camgirl. And that he's able to get his shirt off in literally an instant.

Boyle was incredibly cringey, as expected. Going "Full Schumer" is the perfect way to put what he'd been doing.

Holt's right, small talk is only for strangers and con men. But...he and Kevin separated? Everything really is different now.

Also loved the runner of Terry kept barging in on everyone talking about his Scully's sex book.

There's gonna be a lot of mileage used in the inevitable gif of "OH NO, YOU'RE A VILLAIN!", I'm sure of it.

The Lake House

I'm guessing that Amy told Jake about Holt and Kevin, so Jake called a FAMILY meeting. It's the only way that made sense.

Man, The Lake House is one of the most Holt things ever. THREE master sitting rooms, no internet, and worst of all, no lake! It's named after someone named Lake! Loved hearing them flirt via rare bird mating calls. And then Kevin being turned on by Holt describing the pantone colors of the corn crake to him. I was so upset that they were done...but you aren't getting rid of the dads that easily! Can't wait for the inevitable Vow Renewal episode.

"I knew my stratagem had classy origins."

"I'm a trash man who only knows trash birds." Iconic line from Holt.

Edibles!Rosa was awesome, and she was the perfect partner for Scully. I want to see more of their adventures, the little tag at the end wasn't enough, yet completely amazing.

So, Terry loves love and loves hedges, but hates ledges. Got it.

Yeah, I'm not surprised that Amy is so obsessive, the baby can't fall asleep because she keeps bothering him. Loved her breaking down the door to get to him.

EDIT

Holt: "DAS DOPPELTE LOTTCHEN!"

Jake: "I'm only half!"

Amazing.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 13

"Oh no, you're a villain!" Classic

Oh no, Holt and Kevin are separating? Wait a sec...Kevin's name is Kevin Costner. 

Kevin and Holt knock down fights are surreal... But hooray couple's counseling.

• Love 6

It was great having the show back.

That being said:

Maybe I misunderstood whether they said there was no wifi at the Lake house, or no cell reception at all, because I didn't understand how Jake looked up the Corn Crake on his phone and played its call (was it previously downloaded?) or how Holt called Kevin (they have a landline at the house?)

I also don't quite get if Kevin's bee allergy is severe enough to warrant EpiPen use.  It it is, then Terry should not have been the one to go for it-Kevin could have died.

3 hours ago, redfish said:

Oh no, Holt and Kevin are separating? Wait a sec...Kevin's name is Kevin Costner. 

It's "Kevin Cozner".  The similarity has been mentioned.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Maybe I misunderstood whether they said there was no wifi at the lake house, or no cell reception at all, because I didn't understand how Jake looked up the Corn Crake on his phone and played its call (was it previously downloaded?) or how Holt called Kevin (they have a landline at the house?)

Oh that's a damn good question.

EDIT: Apparently Holt made Jake download the app. Must've happened before they got to the cabin.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

EDIT: Apparently Holt made Jake download the app. Must've happened before they got to the cabin.

That's true, but even if you already have an app on your phone, can you use it with no reception?

I'm also surprised that Charles didn't try to break a bedroom window and wriggle through.  Were they particularly small?

I wonder if the baby isn't sleeping much better during the days when Amy is at work.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • LOL 2

I found the second episode far more funny and entertaining than the first. With the first, they are clearly struggling to thread the needle with being a police comedy right now but that episode felt kind of awkward. We’ll see if they can make it work this season,but I’m not hopeful. The second episode was classic B99 silliness and I really enjoyed it

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That's true, but even if you already have an app on your phone, can you use it with no reception?

It really depends on the app. If Holt knew they were going somewhere without internet, he'd download an app that'd be able to work.

• Love 2

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is back for its final season and...  yeah, they certainly aren't afraid to dive right into everything that has been happening right now in real life: especially the issues with police.

I can definitely seem some valid complaints about how this might make the show too serious or dramatic now (amongst the complaints about it now being "too woke" or whatever), but I thought the first episode was able to just toe the line about it still feel like the same show, but addressing how police brutality and the police's relationship with minorities in general is problematic.  I liked how both Jake and Boyle had flawed, but realistic responses to it.  For Jake, he was so hellbent on truly proving that there are still "good ones" out there that he basically cared more about being right and proving Rosa wrong than actually helping the victim (you know, the black woman who was harassed by two badge wearing assholes), and it took Rosa to flat-out call him out on his bullshit to see he was wrong.  Love Jake, but he was always someone who needs to be challenge like that at times to pull his head out of his ass.  The good news is that he usually actually does become better because of it, so I'm optimistic he'll be a better ally going forward.  Sucks that the case ended up being blocked from getting a true resolution, but I suspect that is how most of them go.  Both Andy Samberg and especially Stephanie Beatriz did great work here.

Meanwhile, of course Boyle would try so hard to be an "ally to the cause" that he would just actually come off condescending and patronizing instead, and would need Terry to have to tell him to knock it off.  Boyle really can't help himself, huh?

I wonder if we'll see that douchy union rep again, since they got John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox!) to play him.

While I'm 99 (sorry!) % sure that Holt and Kevin will work things out again, it was admittedly very sad to hear that they were separated due to Holt's reaction to everything that is going on.  I'm glad they are going to couples counseling now, but dammit, if they don't make it than love really isn't real!  That said, a small part of me just really wanted to know who Cheddar was staying with and how he's handling the split!

Loved the stuff with Amy like her being worried over her relationship with Holt and busting out some mom strength to break down the door to free her baby.  Melissa Fumero is a treasure.

Interesting that Hitchcock also left the force (along with Rosa), and is currently only seen through a tablet right now.  I wonder if Dirk Blocker was working on something else or he was taking more precautions compared to the rest of the cast.

Terry hates ledges but loves hedges!

Definitely curious to see how this final season will play out.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

That's true, but even if you already have an app on your phone, can you use it with no reception.

Since many streaming services allow users to download shows to watch offline, I would bet you could download some bird info from this fictional app. Especially if it's geared toward hard core bird watchers.  An app's creators would know they need to have an option that can be viewed without internet access since bird watchers probably go off grid quite a bit.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

But Kevin and Holt breaking up?! Nooooooo!!!!😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I mean, they’re going to couples counseling, so there’s hope, but still.

The writers obviously only broke them up so they can get back together at the end of the season and do a wow-renewal or wedding. It was mentioned in a season 2 episode that Kevin and Holt would be open to a more traditional ceremony because when they got married it was just a simple court house affair. And the fans have been asking for it for years. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

But Kevin and Holt breaking up?! Nooooooo!!!!😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I mean, they’re going to couples counseling, so there’s hope, but still.

I audibly gasped when Holt told Amy. I'm so emotionally invested in Kevin and Raymond. I hope they can work things out.

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Maybe I misunderstood whether they said there was no wifi at the Lake house, or no cell reception at all, because I didn't understand how Jake looked up the Corn Crake on his phone and played its call (was it previously downloaded?) or how Holt called Kevin (they have a landline at the house?)

I use Merlin. Link It requires you to download bird info for your region of choice as part of the installation, and if you travel, you can download other regions when you need them so they're stored on your phone locally. I also do geocaching and most of those apps allow for local downloads too in the event you're somewhere that doesn't have Internet access.

As for the episodes, I liked them both and agree with everyone's points above, but I was not into Overbearing Parent Amy at all. It's totally in keeping with the character so it's not a gripe on the show or the writing. Psychologically damaging a baby because she's a train wreck of a person does not sit well with me. I hope they don't focus too much on those types of plots since we have so few episodes and this is the final season.

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

I audibly gasped when Holt told Amy. I'm so emotionally invested in Kevin and Raymond. I hope they can work things out.

I did too. I was like Noooooo!!!! AB was riveting in that talk he had with Amy. Can't blame Jake at all for trying to parent trap them.

• Love 18

omg Rosa's 'adios amigo' in her regular high voice had me so cracking up. so glad this show is back.  (if you haven't, watch interviews with Stephanie B. Her regular voice is way higher than Rosa's gutteral low.) Here's one:

Edited by Colorado David
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

That said, a small part of me just really wanted to know who Cheddar was staying with and how he's handling the split!

That was literally all I wanted to know!  The whole ep I kept saying "but where is Cheddar?" "why will no one mention Cheddar?" "Cheddar better be okay". 

I love and will greatly miss this quirky little show.  I like all the characters and actors so much.  I remember when it very first started I wasn't sure about it, especially Andy Samberg but he really improved and the whole 'gang' just clicks.  Andre Braugher will always be my favorite - in this and everything. 

• Love 24
15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I wonder if we'll see that douchy union rep again, since they got John C. McGinley (Dr. Cox!) to play him.

That said, a small part of me just really wanted to know who Cheddar was staying with and how he's handling the split!

I'd like to see the union rep again. It would be great to see Holt vs. the union rep at some point.

My guess is that Cheddar alternates who he stays with during the separation. For the weekend, I am sure someone they trust was was watching Cheddar. 

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

The writers obviously only broke them up so they can get back together at the end of the season and do a wow-renewal or wedding. It was mentioned in a season 2 episode that Kevin and Holt would be open to a more traditional ceremony because when they got married it was just a simple court house affair. And the fans have been asking for it for years. 

I am all for epic vow renwal that is more like a regular wedding as a series finale. 

• Love 8

So they were going to air it here, after football, around 2 am. But the game went over and screwed up the schedule, so I missed it. I tried to record it, but got only part of it. It's a lot to ask that people stay up that late to watch live! Does anyone know where to see it online? Hulu and Peacock don't seem to have it, and it's not available on demand yet, either, according to my DirecTV service.

3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

So they were going to air it here, after football, around 2 am. But the game went over and screwed up the schedule, so I missed it. I tried to record it, but got only part of it. It's a lot to ask that people stay up that late to watch live! Does anyone know where to see it online? Hulu and Peacock don't seem to have it, and it's not available on demand yet, either, according to my DirecTV service.

I looked and it was on Hulu.

18 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Man, The Lake House is one of the most Holt things ever. THREE master sitting rooms

Just one MASTER sitting room. The other two were just sitting rooms. "Look at all the seating!"

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I wonder if Dirk Blocker was working on something else or he was taking more precautions compared to the rest of the cast.

I was wondering that, too. I thought maybe he was quarantining, but that's just a big assumption.

Great having the show back. It's as good as ever.

Loved the Cold Open with the High-Five Machine. (Machine. :D) 

Amy recognizing that something was wrong with Raymond was great. I was just about tearing up as Raymond told her about his separation.  "It's been a tough year to be a black man and a police captain and a human" specifically affected me.

But "True friends sit in silence" cracked me up.

Jake walking into the interview exclaiming, "HellooooOOOOO!" like Mrs Doubtfire also cracked me up.

I really liked how the show did the scene with the precinct captain explaining what would happen if she fired the two police officers. Everything she said was true -- and frustrating -- but it was well-done, esp with the fadeouts.

As for the second ep, that was pure silly fun. 

Raymond: I was upset and stumbled into accidental wordplay.

Kevin: I'll have a snack of some water.

Kevin falling was a fantastic pratfall.

Like others here I was wondering about Raymond being able to call Kevin. I felt like the show didn't make a mistake, but that I missed something in the explanation/setup.

• Love 13
54 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Like others here I was wondering about Raymond being able to call Kevin. I felt like the show didn't make a mistake, but that I missed something in the explanation/setup.

The simplest feasible explanation is that different cell phone plans have different areas of coverage. Since Raymond and Kevin come to "The Lake House" often, they made sure to have a cell phone plan that included that particular area coverage.  

• Love 4
21 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

because I didn't understand how Jake looked up the Corn Crake on his phone and played its call (was it previously downloaded?) or how Holt called Kevin (they have a landline at the house?)

The one that I couldn’t handwave is Terry being able to watch a bunch of episodes of Alone. 

• Love 3
Just now, possibilities said:

I assume they had recordings that didn't need to be streamed. A library of DVDs or whatever...

They got rid of the tv and even if they hadn’t I can’t imagine Holt and Kevin owning that show even if it was on dvd which it isn’t in the US. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They got rid of the tv and even if they hadn’t I can’t imagine Holt and Kevin owning that show even if it was on dvd which it isn’t in the US. 

Maybe a digital library to watch on portable device? Do we know Terry watched it at the cabin? I thought he knew all along and was only admitting it later, because he was toying with Jake all episode.

• Love 4
Just now, possibilities said:

Maybe a digital library to watch on portable device? Do we know Terry watched it at the cabin? I thought he knew all along and was only admitting it later, because he was toying with Jake all episode.

Yes, he specifically stated he didn’t get any sleep watching it. I can’t imagine he downloads shows he isn’t going to watch and Jake didn’t know about it so he wasn’t using Jake’s phone. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

That was literally all I wanted to know!  The whole ep I kept saying "but where is Cheddar?" "why will no one mention Cheddar?" "Cheddar better be okay". 

I love and will greatly miss this quirky little show.  I like all the characters and actors so much.  I remember when it very first started I wasn't sure about it, especially Andy Samberg but he really improved and the whole 'gang' just clicks.  Andre Braugher will always be my favorite - in this and everything. 

I second everything in this post!

I love this show and everyone who has been or still is part of the cast.  Quirky and goofy while still being funny and sweet are my thing.

Probably accounts for why I seldom watch much prime time anymore

I am already mourning the loss of the show and hope it shows up somewhere for streaming!

Sigh!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Is it possible they have a landline phone we didn't see? Maybe they have one for emergencies. It's not a number they give out, but it's there if they need to call someone. I realize I may be overthinking this, but I figured I'd post anyway. 

• Love 2

I lived in a cabin in the woods in the 1980s and we had a landline. It was actually a party line, which meant we had our own number but the actual line was shared by several houses, so if you picked up the phone you could hear another household's conversation. It was terrible. But if you only used it for emergencies at a cabin you only visited once in a while, it would be practical. But I concede that such tech may no longer exist three and half decades on.

Weird technological mysteries aside, I love this show and am really sad that it's being burned off in the wee hours (the next two episodes are supposedly going to air here starting at the bizarre hour of 2:07 am, which to me says the network doesn't actually think anyone wants to watch them).

Edited by possibilities
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Weird technological mysteries aside, I love this show and am really sad that it's being burned off in the wee hours (the next two episodes are supposedly going to air here starting at the bizarre hour of 2:07 am, which to me says the network doesn't actually think anyone wants to watch them).

That just may be your local station because the normal network time is 8-9pm ET, which is when my local station is showing it

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I lived in a cabin in the woods in the 1980s and we had a landline. It was actually a party line, which meant we had out own number but the actual line was shard by several houses, so if you picked up the phone you could hear another household's conversation.

My only experience with a party line was at Disneyland. In a shop on Main Street, you'd pick up the receiver on one of those old wood wall-mounted phones and hear a couple of bitties gossiping. IIRC, one of them might say, "Ethel, I think somebody's listening to us."

That's weird. Do you have Hulu? It's there the next day.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Do you have Hulu? It's there the next day.

Yes, that's going to be how I watch.

I'm glad to hear other markets are getting B99 during prime time. I guess the local affiliate is airing football games instead. 

Was quite impressed with the mix of horrible reality and fun quirkiness of the first episode.

The “Raymy” conversation was so good. Paraphrasing: “You’ve been here just one day and you knew I wasn’t myself”. 😭 Poor Raymond having no one to share his breakup with, for however long her extended maternity leave was...

This show does supportive friendships so beautifully.

The second episode was true B99. 👍🏻😁

• Love 7

This show is amazing.

I enjoyed Amy correcting Holt on his use of “Raymy.”

Boyle baby-whispering.

Raymond Holt entering the kitchen!!

Whom are you performing for? 

. . . both . . . of you . . . .

Unpopular opinion: Rosa is not good. Stoned Rosa is a caricature.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Driad said:

If Cheddar had been at the Lake house, what might he have done? Maybe he would run between Raymond and Kevin, puzzled that they are not together.

I'm hoping that the show is saving Cheddar's appearance for another episode.

• Love 4

I love this show and am really sad that it's being burned off in the wee hours (the next two episodes are supposedly going to air here starting at the bizarre hour of 2:07 am, which to me says the network doesn't actually think anyone wants to watch them).

Agreed. I'm just glad the show is back but the network seems to be burning the episodes off in one-hour blocks and before the official fall season even kicks off. I wish they had more faith in this show. 

One or two slight quibbles - why would a bedroom door have that kind of old-timey latch on it? That can't be the first time someone has locked themselves out of that room. It almost seems designed to lock accidentally. 

Also, Boyle referenced raising his nieces and nephews but didn't say anything about Nikolaj. 

Favorite bit no one has quoted yet, Holt saying he and Kevin had a knock-down, drag-out fight. Flashback: they exchange two words.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

Also, Boyle referenced raising his nieces and nephews but didn't say anything about Nikolaj. 

I thought that was very weird as well.  Was Nikolaj older when he adopted him?  Maybe that's why.

2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

One or two slight quibbles - why would a bedroom door have that kind of old-timey latch on it? That can't be the first time someone has locked themselves out of that room. It almost seems designed to lock accidentally. 

I can see an old cabin having that kind of latch.  What struck me is the only reason it accidentally locked is because Boyle practically slammed the door shut which seemed strange since he had just put Mac to sleep.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I think we need to know more about this Kirsopp Lake guy.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought that was very weird as well.  Was Nikolaj older when he adopted him?  Maybe that's why.

Yes, I'm pretty sure Nikolaj was older when Boyle adopted him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I hope they are saving Cheddar for the inevitable Kevin/Holt vow renewal. I am so happy that Kevin and Holt are going to start getting couples counseling, I was right there with Jake in my total horror. Parent trap them! 

Great having this show back, although I am really sad that we will be saying goodbye to the Nine Nine so soon. This was a good start to the season, a nice mix of comedy, heart, and seriousness. I really hope that Dr. Cox the union rep returns again to square off against Holt, truly an epic battle would ensure. 

That "oh no your a villain" scene is going to get a LOT of meme millage, probably fight next to "cool movie, still murder." 

I love how Jake's attempts at not sounding like a cop instead makes me sound like Mrs. Doubtfire. "Helooooooooooo!"

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9