Type keyword(s) to search

Battle On The Beach - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They should have had the couple from Restoring Galveston judge one episode. I think Surfside is right next to Galveston. They know the market, what buyers there are looking for & what would add value to homes there. They could even team HGTV hosts with a local real estate agent. 

If the show returns next season I'd like to see a complete revamp - new mentors and something different with the judges.

• Love 9

The wall of cabinet doors won? You’ve got to be kidding me! It was ugly as was the paint color. I think the father & son bedroom was miles ahead better than theirs. The judging this season has been horrible. 

• Love 12

I said from the beginning that I hated both couples.  As the weeks go they are getting more unlikeable.  I've liked the father/son since day 1.  Whoever said they were depressing is right though.

This show has become Ty complaining that his team doesn't listen to him.  Every single week.  I don't like Ty but I hate them and their snarky faces.  As far as Allison's I just hate their demeanor that they are better than anyone else.

I'm sure my favorite is not winning but I don't know what the judges have against them.  This week and the previous week when they did a bathroom they should have won but didn't.  I don't like the judges.

• Love 3

Ty’s team have won twice despite in one win having a vanity that is practically unusable because it’s jammed up against the shower stall and in the other win having an ugly wall that elicited actual ridicule from the judges. 🤷 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The father and son team have been great, and actually Taniya has been pretty good as well as a mentor. Allison hasn't bothered me as much on this show as she normally does. I found it interesting that she was kind of subdued during the reveal of the bedroom. I think the Canadian couple had the worst design this week, but it was Allison's idea to paint all of the walls that dark green which, combined with the large bunk bed, just made the whole room smaller. 

The most annoying team personality-wise has been Ty's team, and the plot of the "designers don't listen to Ty" has been recurring throughout this season. Ty is kind of annoying, but it seems to be more enhanced with this couple. Just a bad mentor/mentee match-up all around.

The judges were also shoddy this week. It was clear that Roosevelt and Brandyn not only had the best design in their bedroom, but they made an en suite bathroom. And honestly their "cons" were so minor - missing window treatments and a vanity. I don't know if that they couldn't allow them to win two in a row or what, but that was craptastic. Ty's team did have a nice bathroom though, so I'll give them that. And Allison's team's bathroom was kind of boring.

• Love 6

I actually think Ty has been a better mentor than Allison or Taniya, which isn't saying much. And I get that he is saddled with obnoxious folks who don't listen. They would frustrate me, too.  I haven't forgiven Taniya for that dreadful banquette thing. None of the mentors appear to be helping out much with the actual work. Ty did do the (not high enough) master bedroom headboard and he provided some nice beach photography for the living room.

Roosevelt and Brandyn do not make for exciting TV but their work seems superior to the other two teams. Other than the kitchen, I think their rooms were all the best. I appreciated that the son did research on the area and tried to incorporate some history in the kids' room.

• Love 6

This show really does feel like the most half-assed thing HGTV has slapped together in a while (usually their half-assed, fill-in shows come off as HGTV wanna-be folks who cobbled together some semblance of an idea, they didn't make the cut, and now HGTV is burning off whatever it is but this show was clearly their own doing, using a "franchise" they've done several times before*). The flippers are either unlikable or so restricted by the format that it doesn't matter. They're all exhausted and doing shoddy work because I'm betting they filmed this whole endeavor in about two weeks and are giving them two days per room. The HGTV "stars" are clearly phoning it in, and seem to show up to film for an hour or two here and there, with the exception of Ty who is likely living in his van down by the beachside (the Island Reno folks are promoting their show -- where I find both of them just as unpleasant as they are here, Allison is still working off her debt -- please wrap it up and get off my screen, and Ty is...well, just happy to have work, I'm guessing). Feh.

*My favorite version of this was the first one, before they moved to the beach and HGTV bought a quad and gave them all the same condo floor-plan to redo in the building. I thought it was a cool premise at the time and liked the set-up. They moved to the beach to make it summer fare (and to likely cross-promote their other shows like Beachfront Bargain Hunt, etc.) and the first few were fine, if middling, IMO.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I think the Canadian couple had the worst design this week, but it was Allison's idea to paint all of the walls that dark green which, combined with the large bunk bed, just made the whole room smaller. 

Dark wall colours do NOT make a room feel smaller, it's been proven. That is a complete fallacy. 

Do these beach homes have an interlocking deck(s)? Every time they show a drone shot it looks like they are connected by the decks with a walkway. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If they do I don’t know if I like them as a renter. Not that I would rent them but you get my point. LOL!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, RowdyCam said:

I haven't forgiven Taniya for that dreadful banquette thing.

Me either. 'Dreadful' is the correct description.

56 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Do these beach homes have an interlocking deck(s)? Every time they show a drone shot it looks like they are connected by the decks with a walkway. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If they do I don’t know if I like them as a renter. Not that I would rent them but you get my point. LOL!!!!

Yes, there is a bridge linking each of the decks. I don't get why anyone would want that either, unless you have 3 families renting the houses that are all there as a group. When they get to the exterior I think the best way to add value will be to unlink the decks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I noticed that, too. They do appear to be connected by catwalks. I thought it was weird. 

• Love 1

I don't know exactly which of the many beach houses in Surfside Beach are the actual ones used in the show, but yes, there are some connected ones there.  Some people like to rent with friends and family, but not share the actual house (particularly when the house is small).

Here's a set of three that could be the ones used in the show:

https://goo.gl/maps/KHBDvup2HeeXsTZi9

On the show:  I definitely liked the winning bathroom.  The bedroom notsomuch, but the bath was great and I was very happy she insisted on keeping the tub because she was right, parents want a tub with little kids, and even adults enjoy a soak from time to time.

• Love 2

If that is the ones on the show, I first thought they linked them for the dunes. But there are 2 walk overs so they could definitely unlink them at the house and join them up down the walkway if needed. Linked it limits them because no way would I rent a house that others would walk in front of my windows every time they went down to the beach.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SusanwatchingTV said:

I don't know exactly which of the many beach houses in Surfside Beach are the actual ones used in the show, but yes, there are some connected ones there.  Some people like to rent with friends and family, but not share the actual house (particularly when the house is small).

Here's a set of three that could be the ones used in the show:

https://goo.gl/maps/KHBDvup2HeeXsTZi9

On the show:  I definitely liked the winning bathroom.  The bedroom notsomuch, but the bath was great and I was very happy she insisted on keeping the tub because she was right, parents want a tub with little kids, and even adults enjoy a soak from time to time.

Thanks. Now, I see it much better. I guess if all the houses are being rented by “one” group I could see the benefit of the connecting catwalks.

Wow, color me shocked the one I thought should win actually did win! For me, it was the most attractive, functional, and cohesive, with the most added value. I even loved the green, though green is my favorite color so that's no surprise. The only thing I would've changed in their house was that bunk bed in the guest room. I'd have taken that out but tried to find some way to keep those cool little alcoves beside the main bed. They are a really nice and different design element.

I thought for sure our weekly judges were gonna ding them for the tile work in the powder room, but I guess they found a way to make it work.

I would've liked to know which houses placed second and third, and I also would've liked to know if our weekly judges would've ranked the houses in the same order as the local appraisers. But, yeah, this was an obvious winner for me.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

would've liked to know which houses placed second and third

A good bet would be Ty's couple, coming in second. Other than the kids's room, Taniya's team were terrible. Between that and having zero personality, this was definitely not the show for them. 

Second & third were probably not announced so as not to embarrass Taniya's team.

HGTV, please revamp if you do this again next summer. How about three contestants and three mentors with fun, upbeat personalities? And different judges with different perspectives. I watched parts of the finale but couldn't root for anyone.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Turned on the TV today and they're airing the Guest Room ep again. Still don't know the contestants' names - In my defense, I'm really bad with names, full stop. - but the guy on Ty's team, in their talking head, says he's going to get back to work, while the lady plays with art. Ugh. I didn't like this guy, since Day 1, he's so "I'm the only one with good ideas" and that comment only compounded it. Art is not work? Ugh. Also, might explain, in part, why their house is so without style. It's nice, but so generic. I can believe that works in the real estate market, because it allows people to put their own mark on things, but for a design show, it's boring.

Yeah, and at least one of the local appraisers zeroed in positively on that art, so shut up, dude.  (Me, I still thought it was a good idea turned fugly. It would've been awesome with some backlights, but that would've probably been cost and time prohibitive.)

8 hours ago, MsTree said:

Between that and having zero personality, this was definitely not the show for them. 

Definitely agree on that. The father really struggled with the fast pace and not being able to fine tune everything. I did like their house, but felt the design was not very cohesive overall. That kids' bedroom would've been an immediate reno for anyone without kids. I guess I would've put them third on that alone, even though I liked their house better than Ty's team. Also, I disagreed with the judges and appraisers on liking them making the second full bathroom an en suite with the guest room. So, what? Now anyone from the kids' room - And, potentially, some adults might be staying in that room. - will have to troop through someone else's bedroom to take a bath? That would not be a selling point for me.

1 hour ago, RowdyCam said:

HGTV, please revamp if you do this again next summer. How about three contestants and three mentors with fun, upbeat personalities? And different judges with different perspectives. I watched parts of the finale but couldn't root for anyone.

Cosigned. I didn't have a problem with the mentors or the married couple, but the other two teams were not suited to this, and the weekly judges? Really questioned some of their choices. I would've liked to hear what the appraisers thought of that vanity/shower proximity in the master bath in Ty's house.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I would've liked to hear what the appraisers thought of that vanity/shower proximity in the master bath in Ty's house.

and that strangling hazard in one of the kids' rooms

• Love 4
4 hours ago, RowdyCam said:

Agreed. I don't like having the same judges every week. Maybe it was a budget thing? And I usually like the couple from Renovation Island (both of them), but on this show, they seemed mean and snotty. Say what you will about the Property Brothers, but they're fun judges, and they know how to make a show entertaining. 

And I don't remember last season's version of this at all, but I do remember liking it better than this season. I didn't like any of this years' couples, and I didn't like their houses. Correction: I liked individual rooms in each of their houses, but I wouldn't be excited about living in any of them. 

Oh, and the catwalks all seemed to merge in the middle and connect to that long walkway to the beach. 

• Love 1
On 7/11/2022 at 7:58 AM, RowdyCam said:

This,100%.  From the mentors to the competitors, I found everyone either forgettable or unlikable. By the time the finale came, I was ready for it all to be over. It just felt like this was a lazy rehash of the design/reno competition formula we've seen before.

How about having a new mentor each week that coaches all three teams? The mentor would be neutral and would be there to guide each team through their own design ideas, rather than providing ideas like an ill fitting banquette. The mentor then walks the judges (the same ones for the whole season) through each room and explains the design. Each mentor could also hawk their own HGTV show. For example:

Judges - Property Bros

Kitchen Mentor - Allison - Windy City Rehab

Living Room Mentors - Lindsey and Leslie - Unsellable Houses

Master Bedroom Suite Mentors - Egypt and Mike - Marries to Real Estate

Kids Room Mentors - Dave and Jenny Marrs - Fixer to Fabulous

Guest Room Mentor - Jasmine Roth - Help! I Wrecked My House

Exterior Mentor - Mika and Brian - 100 Day Dream Home

I tried finding these houses, and I did find them, but, couldn't find any information about them.  That is a large chunk of land.  I am wondering if they are torn down already for more development.  Zillow normally gives out information, unless it has been subdivided or sold as commercial property.

No more Property Brothers please.  Use to adore them, not so much anymore.

On 7/9/2022 at 3:07 PM, crazy4tv said:

I think they may be these houses:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/703+Bluewater+Hwy,+Surfside+Beach,+TX+77541/@28.958482,-95.2873469,2267m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x86406cdb480f1f0f:0x325f28cacef623a8!8m2!3d28.958482!4d-95.2785922!5m1!1e4

I noticed the street view has a for sale sign out front too.

I haven't been able to find them on any real estate sites though. I was looking to see how much HGTV paid for the houses.

Those do look really similarly situated, but I'm not sure, so I looked on AirBnB to see if those might be available and two of them seem to be listed, but they definitely aren't the ones from the show.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Surfside-Beach--Texas--United-States/homes?tab_id=home_tab&refinement_paths[]=%2Fhomes&flexible_trip_lengths[]=one_week&query=Surfside Beach%2C TX%2C USA&place_id=ChIJa8WWR8VsQIYRiP79V398_Ok&date_picker_type=calendar&source=structured_search_input_header&search_type=user_map_move&ne_lat=28.958364298182516&ne_lng=-95.27631873291006&sw_lat=28.956428122898743&sw_lng=-95.27942741315832&zoom=19&search_by_map=true

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12953313?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&location=Surfside Beach%2C Texas%2C United States&check_in=2023-04-07&check_out=2023-04-14&federated_search_id=bfb7e224-5c76-4fbc-8868-c35f3bb27fac&source_impression_id=p3_1657922480_HhHflSrcU%2FTbbzy5

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/41614856?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&location=Surfside Beach%2C Texas%2C United States&check_in=2023-03-09&check_out=2023-03-16&federated_search_id=bfb7e224-5c76-4fbc-8868-c35f3bb27fac&source_impression_id=p3_1657922483_9O48IyurOnRodtHI

I can't seem to find anything that matches the ones from the show, but I'll try to keep looking.

We always rent closer to Galveston. I've never been to Surfside, but if I could rent one that was on the show I might try it out. lol

Taniya totally got pwned by Ty in that exchange of artwork for cabinets. Meanwhile, Ty got owned by Alison and she didn't even have to negotiate.

I wonder why they didn't bother to show that guest bathroom challenge in the regular ep. Cut for time, probably, but it still seems odd. Once again, the guy on Ty's team wants to go shady and pretend he's the one who's the designer on the team. Glad it didn't work out for him, but, good glory, you couldn't even see the tile he picked out in their bathroom, so I guess he got the last laugh after all.

• Love 1

I am glad Alison's team won. Not because of her obviously - she's obnoxious. But they had the house I liked the best. I thought their outdoor space, kitchen, living room and kids room were all the best. I hated their guest bedroom. That bed was a monstrosity and the green paint was horrible, but take out the bed and repaint and its' an easy fix. Repainting that green eyesore of the exterior, not so much. I really hated that color. Still, as a whole better than the other two IMO.

That father/son team was awful and should never have been chosen for this show. Dad having a hissy and tossing the door over the balcony was a culmination of his crap attitude. I don't even think they should have won the kids room - it's so specific to grade school age kids! It's too dangerous and difficult for parents putting smaller kids to bed and too juvenile for older kids. I think that room appeals to kids aged 4-8. Too dangerous for any younger, and any older and it's already not cool. And the less said about Ty's team the better. I just didn't like them at all.

I like the concept of the show, but man, HGTV, do a better job casting.

• Love 2
On 5/24/2023 at 10:58 PM, Fellaway said:

It's back for Season 3 on June 4th, and with a twist! Yay?

Too bad the twist isn't a pair of new judges.

why do they insist on having strange ty pennington and full-of-herself allison on this show?  yuck

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Did anyone watch it?

Of course the first challenge was the kitchen and Bryan and Sarah Baumler were the judges. They are almost as annoying as Ty, Allison, and What's Her Name as "mentors" who add little.

I thought the guys with the green cabinets should have won.

• Like 4

I hated the green kitchen but I was irritated by the assumption that you must see the view at all times whenever you are in a beach house so that was a con I disagreed with.I think you can do without the view in the time it takes to eat a meal.

I didn’t like the dark kitchen either and think the right one won.

• Like 5
(edited)
On 6/5/2023 at 4:42 PM, Shelbie said:

I hated the green kitchen but I was irritated by the assumption that you must see the view at all times whenever you are in a beach house so that was a con I disagreed with.I think you can do without the view in the time it takes to eat a meal.

I didn’t like the dark kitchen either and think the right one won.

I agree. I was completely distracted by the ugly green cabinets and the dark kitchen. Everyone's design work was nice, however. And I like the couples. Teams, I mean. The Disney couple is the only couple-couple, correct?

I was worried about the stone work in the winning house. As the couple was installing it, it looked horrible. But it turned out beautifully. 

Most of the "oh, dear" moments felt real. Having the wrong cabinets, the wrong paint color, the shoddy drywall on the ceiling -- that all felt real. I felt everyone's tension. 

Sarah was fixated on that beverage fridge. 

And yes, there will be times you can't see the water. That's the nature of living in a house that doesn't have four glass walls. LOL

Edited by topanga
  • Like 5

It was amusing that the Baeumlers dinged Alison's team for not taking full advantage of the view, when they, themselves, outright obstructed the view more than once in their house on last season's Rock the Block. I guess it's a "do as I say, not as I do" type of situation.

I was really underwhelmed by all of the kitchens this week. They seem way smaller and chintzier than last season's. I guess the right one won, but that's faint praise. It really could have used a splash of color. If they'd been able to count in the powder room Alison's team did this week, in spite of that horrendous wallpaper, they probably would've won.

Does HGTV tell the suppliers and outsourced workers to screw up, for the added drama? 'Cause there were a lot of screwups this week.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I am just glad that someone else won the kitchen instead of ms. braggart. The kitchen that won, to me had zero beachy vibes and honestly, that stone wall looked out of place, but isn't that what the judges did to their house on Rock the Block? Thank goodness Ty's idea to put that dumb ceiling sticks didn't work out. I didn't mind the green cabinets, but maybe the island should have been another color. Maybe all my nitpicking is because I would love to be able to afford one of those houses when they are completed :(

• Like 5

So the green cabinets didn't win because Bryan B. hates green? I can't stand either him or his snotty know-it-all-beverage-fridge wife, and I really wish they'd have different (or at least rotating) judges this season. To me, last season came off with a "who died and left them in charge" vibe, and it appears we're heading for a rematch.

Speaking of different personnel, the three mentors continue to grate.  I guess Taniya is all right, although she's not my fave, but both Ty and Allison are basically unwatchable.  For some reason, it also really bugs me the way the girls are all decked out in their skimpy skintight tank tops, but Ty continues to dress like he just woke up in an alley somewhere.

I don't watch any of the Baumler shows, because I can't stand them.  I don't watch any of Allison's show, because I can't stand her.  I don't watch Taniya's show, because it's just too fake and I can't stand Robert Irvine.

How did this one show manage to cast such annoying people?  Plus, did I miss it, or did the "expert" mentors have virtually no input in their respective rooms?  In the past, didn't they hang around and interact more?  Granted, the less I see of any of them, the better, but I sort of thought they were supposed to be somewhat a "part of the team?"

Sigh- - - it's only the first week, and already, it's not so much that I'm rooting for anyone as much as I'm actively rooting against Allison.  I keep wanting to see that nasty-looking green water rush up and sweep her off the beach!  (BTW, I'm not wishing death and destruction or anything close- - I just want her to end up bedraggled and waterlogged- - anything to bring that monstrous ego down a few notches!)

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Allison (and her eyebrows), Ty, The Beaumiers…face it, many longtime HGTV personalities, will probably have shows on the network for years to come. The Property Brothers, the couple with five kids, Hillary and David, etc. This could be a fun show to watch if not for the poor choice of hosts, mentors. 

• Like 2

I’m watching this and seeing how close those houses are to the water, and am wondering when they’ll have to be moved back.  I live in MA and there are a lot of houses that are moved so that they don’t fall into the ocean.

The Baumlers have the most boring taste in the world, so I’m not interested in their opinions.  But I have to say that the bathroom with the horrible tile work and the shower with no curb needed to be demolished right then and there.  What were they thinking?

• Like 4

Another week of the right team won... I guess. Really meh results, again.

The space I liked the best was the bathroom from Taniya's team. (I love green, Mr. Baeumler. Suck it.) And their bedroom was lovely, but small. I'd give the win to Alison's team for the execution and spaciousness alone. Not keen on that art wall, though.

Ty's team was a hot mess. The execution was bad, it wasn't really finished, and I thought the wall behind the bed was hideous. Was there a way to even move those shutters out of the way of the windows? And don't even get me started on the continuation of that sand color throughout. Really blah. There's plenty of sand outside, team. You don't need to bring it inside!

• Like 3

I fast forward to the reveals because I've seen all the mistakes and fake drama and don't care for the boring and unlikable hgtv regulars.

I like the novice designers cuz they really try harder and no egoes.

I liked the green old dresser in the bathroom. Otherwise, the bedrooms were forgettable and I watched it 2 hours ago!  Reading comments above helped me remember who won.  

This is a vacation house,  right? The kitchens?  Who needs alot of storage while on vacation? Some food and dishes/glassware/silverware  but what else? It's not like you're moving or stocking a new home. A beverage fridge? Never heard of one before, but then Im middle class riffraff. Maybe if there are lots of kids. Better a bar set up / wine/beer fridge that locks for adults. Locks to keep teens out. Oh who am I kidding? They'll buy pot from the local dealer in town. Parents too probably. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So all these started as two-bedroom homes? The team with the small master may have made a really good strategic move by making the smaller room the master. They said the other, much bigger bedroom could be split into two, making their house have three bedrooms. 

For a vacation rental, I'd be fine with smaller bedrooms. I am not storing my entire wardrobe. But a 3rd bedroom would be a huge help for larger families and this is an area where it will likely be rented out to vacationers.

• Like 9

I have only watched the kitchen episode so far and as soon as I saw who the judges were I knew which kitchen would win.  The judges did a huge stone wall on Rock the Block (way too much of a stone wall), so I knew at least the wife would love that kitchen.  And I was dumbfounded when they told the one team that they would not even consider the added half-bath when they were there to judge the kitchen.  That was just wrong-AND the judges themselves benefited hugely on Rock the Block by adding a bathroom to another room.  

• Like 1

In the primary bedroom challenge, I agree with all above who don't really care about the lack of storage.  If I were to rent a vacation house, I wouldn't need much, either.  I do think that the beige sink would have looked a little neater with some sort of vanity/cabinet situation under it, but that's just a personal thing for me, since I'm just not a fan of seeing exposed pipes. 

The horrible tile work is something else.  If it looks that bad on just a cursory TV quickie look, I can only imagine how bad it really is.  Even worse, the lack of a lip on the shower floor is inexcusable, and needs to be remedied before the final house is sold/rented and it's ever used.

The X wood wall isn't my personal taste, but again, if it's a rental house, so what?  If I was going to live in it full time, though, that would have to go, or at least be painted/stained all one color.

Everyone on all of these home shows is obsessed with the size of their main bedroom.  I suppose I'm just a peasant, because I've never lived in a house with a huge one, and I've somehow managed to survive all these many years.  I have a queen four-poster bed, a huge dresser, a chest, two nightstands and two closets all in a maybe 14x16 ft. area, and it's neither tight nor cramped.  Then again, we just sleep there.  Silly us!  Likewise, the en-suite bathroom just has a double-wide stall shower and a- - horrors!- - single vanity.  And a toilet.  Duh.  Again, we just do the basics there; we don't square dance.

Therefore, I think the couple who chose the smaller bedroom with plans to convert the bigger one into two rooms actually made the wisest decision.  Especially in a rental beach house, where the idea seems to be to fit as many people in as possible, the idea of a 3 BR vs a 2 BR sounds much smarter to me.

I didn't mind Allison's couple's room, but it pained me to see her (and her eyebrows- -loved that!) win.  She's beyond annoying.  To prove how super shallow I am, it also really bugs me that she dropped her last name and uses her middle instead.  Yeah, I know that plenty of celebs change their names, but I guess I just don't consider her a celeb, so it sounds like one more instance of her over-inflated ego.

Listening to Ty talk gives me a vicarious sore throat.  He can't help the tone, but does he have to yell everything?  Back in the old Trading Spaces days, I didn't find him nearly as unwatchable (ok, I'll confess that I even sort of liked him), so I don't know if he's done a 180 or I've just become old and cranky.

It's only two weeks in, and I've seen enough of the Baumlers forever.  They continue to grate, big time.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

When the final appraisals come around, that extra bedroom and last week's powder room from Alison's team will count. It's too bad they don't during the current week(s), though, if it would help win $3k.

• Like 2
On 6/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, MartyQui said:

I’m watching this and seeing how close those houses are to the water, and am wondering when they’ll have to be moved back.  I live in MA and there are a lot of houses that are moved so that they don’t fall into the ocean.

Yes. I think this every time I watch a show like this with beachfront property or a show like Selling Sunset with homes built into mountains and cliffs. How long will climate change allow those homes to last? *sigh*

On 6/13/2023 at 1:19 AM, Mollywolly555 said:

This is a vacation house,  right? The kitchens?  Who needs alot of storage while on vacation? Some food and dishes/glassware/silverware  but what else? It's not like you're moving or stocking a new home. A beverage fridge? Never heard of one before, but then Im middle class riffraff. Maybe if there are lots of kids. Better a bar set up / wine/beer fridge that locks for adults. Locks to keep teens out. Oh who am I kidding? They'll buy pot from the local dealer in town. Parents too probably. 

This. In all of these renovation shows with wine racks/fridges or entire wine rooms (tm Alison) in houses that are labeled family homes, I do wonder how homeowners handle that. I didn't grow up in a household with alcohol on display, so I don't know how that normally works. I'm sure plenty of people have bars and wine racks. Do people leave alcohol out around their kids/teens?

On 6/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, lgandkihei said:

I didn't mind Allison's couple's room, but it pained me to see her (and her eyebrows- -loved that!) win.  She's beyond annoying.  To prove how super shallow I am, it also really bugs me that she dropped her last name and uses her middle instead.  Yeah, I know that plenty of celebs change their names, but I guess I just don't consider her a celeb, so it sounds like one more instance of her over-inflated ego.

Listening to Ty talk gives me a vicarious sore throat.  He can't help the tone, but does he have to yell everything?  Back in the old Trading Spaces days, I didn't find him nearly as unwatchable (ok, I'll confess that I even sort of liked him), so I don't know if he's done a 180 or I've just become old and cranky.

I have a soft spot for Ty because of the personal challenges he's overcome. And he gives me that "sexy but definitely needs to shower first" vibe.  

I like the team that's working with Alison, but I hate their house. That's because it screams "Alison's house"--the bright green everywhere, the antique mantel, the built-ins. She vetoes almost every design idea they come up with on their own. I thought the mentors were supposed to provide guidance, not dictate every reno and design idea. She treats the guys like they're her subcontractors.

Alison's more annoying to me this season than she's ever been. 

And I don't mind the Baumlers on TV, but I'd probably hate them IRL. 

This season leaves a lot to be desired.  I think all the teams are in over their heads, the mentors seem out of touch with the people they’re supposed to be guiding, and the judges are extremely off putting.  Pfffftt…

• Like 5

I would not like to have Alison in my house, let alone do any "designing".  She really has an attitude, and, in my opinion, terrible taste.  She doesn't seem to take any criticism well.  I think she was very surprised when she didn't win this week.  I feel sorry for the guys on her "team".

• Like 2