Type keyword(s) to search

Battle On The Beach - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

If they had done a trundle bed instead of the dumb sandbox they would’ve won. Nothing about Ty’s team’s room was a kid’s room.  No railing on the bed? They’d be seriously injured no mattered what the age if they fell. His team was the only one that hadnt outright won a week though so they had to make it look like they were in the running.  Painting the beach house black is going to knock them out anyway.

Even Alison “I’m painting that antique black” Victoria has enough sense not to paint a beach house black!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, the sandbox was beyond stupid. I thought the same thing about just making it a bed. It needed an extra bed anyway. That said, none of the rooms were that great and looked like a bunch of wanna be flippers. I wouldn’t hire any of them and I’m not sure how successful they’d be. Of course, real flippers don’t even do the work. They hire professionals to do the heavy lifting. BTW! Isn’t $50,000 a cheap prize? After taxes, it can’t be that much, right? 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’ll take $50,000!

I would too but it seems so cheap. Of course, this is HGTV and it’s not their biggest hit. How else are they going to pay Tarek and Christina since Chip and Joanna Gaines have left the network. LOL!!!!

BTW… I loved Chip & Joanna and their show but I haven’t followed them to their new network or show(s). I can’t be bothered with another streaming network. it’s too exhausting. LOL!!!

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I would too but it seems so cheap. Of course, this is HGTV and it’s not their biggest hit. How else are they going to pay Tarek and Christina since Chip and Joanna Gaines have left the network. LOL!!!!

BTW… I loved Chip & Joanna and their show but I haven’t followed them to their new network or show(s). I can’t be bothered with another streaming network. it’s too exhausting. LOL!!!

About January 2022, Magnolia Network will replace DIY channel on regular cable.    

I think many people come on shows like this for publicity, and it's not really about the money. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I wanted Darryl and Sunjay to win, but at least Team Homeless Guy didn’t. I didn’t like that they got an unfair advantage when they got extra time to finish their bathroom when they couldn’t do it in the allotted time. Their house’s appraisal was a lot less than Team Taniya’s and Team Alison’s. Bet the dark charcoal exterior hurt them.

• Love 2

I always thought the husband and wife & Taniya had the best living room area. I always thought the turning of the staircase & fireplace were a game changer. Also, Ty (who I like) really was getting more homeless looking by each episode. He must have slept on the beach and didn’t shower while they filmed. He looked beat at the end.

• Love 4

I was satisfied with the winners, looking back the show had edited to show them a bit more.  I didn't like the red door, that seemed pretty dated to me.  I think adding the tiki bar and hammock under the house probably put them over the top of Alison's team, otherwise, they were pretty well tied.  I hope Alison's team secured that outdoor wall better, it was crazy it fell in the first gust of wind.

Ty's team had no chance once they decided in the first episode to keep the horrible paneling in the kitchen, most decisions after were bad.  The black was ok on the exterior but the inside just felt like the same amount of money hadn't been spent as the other teams.  Honestly, it looked like Ty on the inside, kind of a mess.

I was shocked at the value of the homes.  Unfinished at 650,000?  Really? I expected between 3-400,000 finished.

• Love 4

I wanted Alison's team to win but I'm ok with the outcome.  I think their beautiful living room did the trick for them although all of their rooms were nicely done except for the sandbox, which they took out.  I like that they put stuff under the house too.

When Ty's team decided to use their extra money on the projector instead of fixing their mistakes I knew they were done.  This made me happy because I could not stand the special treatment they got throughout the show.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I wanted Darryl and Sunjay to win, but at least Team Homeless Guy didn’t. I didn’t like that they got an unfair advantage when they got extra time to finish their bathroom when they couldn’t do it in the allotted time. Their house’s appraisal was a lot less than Team Taniya’s and Team Alison’s. Bet the dark charcoal exterior hurt them.

This appraisal nonsense is just that, nonsense. Stupid way to judge a contest. 

6 hours ago, NYGirl said:

When Ty's team decided to use their extra money on the projector instead of fixing their mistakes I knew they were done.  This made me happy because I could not stand the special treatment they got throughout the show.

That movie projector was a really dumb idea. There's no way those curtains will be an acceptable "screen" with breezes coming off the Gulf. Anything projected on them will be in constant motion, not to mention with a "line" down the middle where they are pulled together.

I think the right team won.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

That movie projector was a really dumb idea. There's no way those curtains will be an acceptable "screen" with breezes coming off the Gulf. Anything projected on them will be in constant motion, not to mention with a "line" down the middle where they are pulled together.

Makes me think a lot less of Mike. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Seriously! Hang a real projection screen if you are going to insist on going the projector route. 🙄 I noticed that neither Mike nor Mina mentioned the still untreated wood vanity.

• Love 4
On 8/16/2021 at 12:20 PM, NYGirl said:

They may be able to watch movies under light rain, but heavy rain would obscure the view and wind would blow away the "screen" with a gap - or more - in between the two pieces of fabric.  Why not watch movies under the cottage with a solid wall for a screen?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
21 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I totally agree! It seemed like Mike and Mina really didn't like them, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Their whole house just seemed slightly more luxe than the other two. And I think the living room was the decider. It was hands down the best thing any of the teams did. In honesty, the only thing I hated was their bathroom with the rain shower head into the tub. I hate those shower heads that are positioned straight overhead, and with the open tub underneath I just feel like water is going to get everywhere. Not functional. But honestly, I hated almost all of the bathrooms. I cannot believe all of the wood counters and black tile. Completely non-functional and ugly. The sandbox was also stupid, but fortunately they fixed that. I loved the tiki bar. I would be down there all the time.

Also, that movie projector was just dumb. That seems like a place where you could have some decent storms. I just don't see how that thing stays dry. And unless they add velcro and a way to anchor those curtains, you better pray there is zero wind when watching your movie or the "screen" is going to be separating and blowing around.

I do love these type of shows, but sometimes the design choices make zero sense in real life. I liked this show, but like many others, I prefer Rock The Block.

• Love 3

Mike even made a crack to Mina, after looking at the paper the appraiser handed him, to the effect that they probably wouldn’t have been our pick. 🙄 I wanted Darryl and Sunjay to win, but I am fine with Team Nashville winning.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Mike even made a crack to Mina, after looking at the paper the appraiser handed him, to the effect that they probably wouldn’t have been our pick. 🙄 I wanted Darryl and Sunjay to win, but I am fine with Team Nashville winning.

Yeah, they left in Mike’s (and, Mina’s) reaction to who won for a reason. I’m guessing they thought (not Ty) other team should have won. I said it before the living room and turned staircase won it for them. That room alone won it for them. The show is okay and the appraisals seem way OTT. Also, I could do with out Mike & Mina’s scratchy voice if they do the show again. Also, the before worth of the houses ($600,000+) seemed so high. I was shocked by that assessment alone. 

• Love 2

Did the trough on the deck have a drain? If not, how is it supposed to be emptied? 

The outdoor movie theater was a miss for all the reasons already stated. 

There was quite a disparity in appraisal value between the top two houses and Team Homeless Guy’s place. As it should be. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Feline Goddess said:

Did the trough on the deck have a drain? If not, how is it supposed to be emptied? 

I thought the same. Also, was there a hose connected up on the deck? It would have to be dumped/cleaned/refilled after someone used it. I don't get why anyone would want that. I could see a kiddie pool/play area under the deck or something but the tub seemed useless.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Feline Goddess said:

Oh my gosh! I never thought of that - I just assumed it did, otherwise, how stupid is that? And exactly why does anyone want to take a bath on their open porch anyway? I was thinking I would more likely fill it with ice and put drinks for a party in it. ;-p

I much preferred the one with the shower on the steps leading up to the deck. That is a functional fix to keep the sand out.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

I couldn't believe how much they said these houses are worth! Blimey, after watching just a few episodes of Beach House Bargain Hunt I can't imagine why anyone would choose any of them. 

No kidding.  I'm thinking between the hurricane that destroyed these place and the shoddy workmanship by the flippers fixing them up, no lender would finance them because of a lack of availability of hazard insurance.  If you had to pay cash based on the appraised values, even if you negotiated the price down, would you spend it on one of these places? 

• Love 3

I was very curious about the location of these cottages.  I found them, and that tent between two of the cottages is covering a swimming pool!  So, the winning house has a pool.  Not that that would figure into the price between it and 2nd place.  The big blue house, with the huge walkway, is not built yet on zillow. 

Edited by Pine
  • Love 1
Just now, Pine said:

I was very curious about the location of these cottages.  I found them, and that tent between two of the cottages is covering a swimming pool!  I think I will check out zillow and see if it shows anymore information. 

Let us know what you find out! 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Pine said:

I was very curious about the location of these cottages.  I found them, and that tent between two of the cottages is covering a swimming pool!  So, the winning house has a pool.  Not that that would figure into the price between it and 2nd place.  The big blue house, with the huge walkway, is not built yet on zillow. 

That’s interesting about a pool. I always saw the tent and fidgeted it was the working area but they never let on there was a pool. Although, watching it I did think it was odd that two were next to each other and there was empty space between the third/first house (depending where you’re looking from) and, now we know. Good job locating. I’m off to check Zillow now. While I’ve been working from home for the past year and a half I’m on Zillow & realtor.com the whole time. I’m so obsessed looking at house houses I wouldn’t buy and houses I can’t  afford. LOL!!!!

Per realtor.com: A little wrap up.

Before renovations started, each of these homes appraised for $650,000. After putting $75,000 and a ton of hard work into renovations, the homes are reappraised.

While all three homes are now more valuable, Kerry and David have done the most to raise their home’s price, with an appraised value of $877,000. Kerry, David, and mentor Nayak are thrilled with their victory.

“Kerry and David made me so proud today. I felt like a proud design mama,” Nayak says.

While Nayak’s team wins overall, the other teams come in close. Sunjay and Darryl’s house is reappraised for $873,000 and Shonnie and Josh’s house for $822,000. It’s proof that the right renovations can really raise how much a house is worth.

Edited by ByaNose
On 8/18/2021 at 11:51 AM, Ilovepie said:

Oh my gosh! I never thought of that - I just assumed it did, otherwise, how stupid is that? And exactly why does anyone want to take a bath on their open porch anyway? I was thinking I would more likely fill it with ice and put drinks for a party in it. ;-p

I much preferred the one with the shower on the steps leading up to the deck. That is a functional fix to keep the sand out.

There would also have to be actual plumbing with pipes leading to a drain, not just a hole in the bottom of the trough, because that would dump the dirty water onto the sand below the deck. The entire concept was flawed. The shower on the steps (that was moved from the deck to a more practical spot) was much better.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Feline Goddess said:

There would also have to be actual plumbing with pipes leading to a drain, not just a hole in the bottom of the trough, because that would dump the dirty water onto the sand below the deck. The entire concept was flawed. The shower on the steps (that was moved from the deck to a more practical spot) was much better.  

I can't remember, but was it the horse trough couple who put up the privacy wall that was only being held in place with one screw and it fell down during the night because it was windy?

Such a quality improvement 🙄

4 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I can't remember, but was it the horse trough couple who put up the privacy wall that was only being held in place with one screw and it fell down during the night because it was windy?

It was Josh and Shonnie (Team Homeless Guy) who installed the trough. It was right in front of the movie screen made of curtain panels.  

2c52fe90c472615234c2f5a9dfa93c9fw-c1965212305xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

• Love 1
8 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

That was Darryl and Sunjay who had the privacy wall fall down.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, windsprints said:

There is an episode 7, a behind the scenes/bonus footage. It's boring. I came here to warn you that there is footage of Ty in the ocean playing Baywatch or something. 

😬🤢

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, windsprints said:

There is an episode 7, a behind the scenes/bonus footage. It's boring. I came here to warn you that there is footage of Ty in the ocean playing Baywatch or something. 

Both of the two "extra" episodes were boring. I was doing other things, but there didn't seem to be enough new or interesting to actually make these new episodes.  I'm going to skip any others they try.

• Love 3

Season 2 starts 5 June 2022, Sunday, on HGTV.   Still with Ty the Homeless Guy, Taniya Nayak, and Alison Victoria as mentors to a team.     Premiere is 90 minutes, followed by five one-hour long episodes, filmed in Surfside, TX. 

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Season 2 starts 5 June 2022, Sunday, on HGTV.   Still with Ty the Homeless Guy, Taniya Nayak, and Alison Victoria as mentors to a team.     Premiere is 90 minutes, followed by five one-hour long episodes, filmed in Surfside, TX. 

Same night the Great Food Truck Race premieres and same night Naked and Afraid:XL is on. Need to warm up the DVR! 😆

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Same night the Great Food Truck Race premieres and same night Naked and Afraid:XL is on. Need to warm up the DVR! 😆

Won't be watching, but if combined those three into one........ 🏚️🦵🥙🚍

• LOL 1
(edited)

First episode of S2: When I saw Sarah and Bryan Baeumler were the judges I knew Allison's team would win because their kitchen had no color. Both of the other teams had green cabinets, and there's no way Sarah would go for that. She rarely uses any color in her designs. White/beige/black/wood, that's her aesthetic.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 3

I never heard of the judges before watching the episode. After going on about finishes & mistakes Bryan says nothing about the cabinet being wrong. It was so obvious that it didn't line up with the counter or back splash. I know the couple mentioned it but I would think that was a noticeable error the judges would bring up. I found that couple annoying after the auction & "technically not ship lap". I hope they lose.

Ty still looks like someone who washed up on the beach and slept there for a week before wandering in.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

First episode of S2: When I saw Sarah and Bryan Baeumler were the judges I knew Allison's team would win because their kitchen had no color. Both of the other teams had green cabinets, and there's no way Sarah would go for that. She rarely uses any color in her designs. White/beige/black/wood, that's her aesthetic.

That is so true. Most of Sarah’s designs on “Renovation Island” were some variation of white or beige. LOL

Bryan and Sarah were tough judges, but Bryan especially was focused too much on the little things—nail holes and sharp edges on wood. Of course those things will be fixed, but when you’re doing a total kitchen renovation in 7 days, you have to focus on the bigger picture. Things like storage, seating, overall design, etc. I’m not a fan of butcher block counters, though. 

I also would have left the wooden ceiling natural, but the white looked nice as well. 

I was hoping Bryan would say to Team Homeless guy “I thought you couldn’t use shiplap since the other team got it.”  
I was reading the credits expecting to see “Ty Pennington’s wardrobe provided by Goodwill Industries.” He looked as if he had a sock on his head at the beginning. 😆 

Hated that banquette. Who wants to be trapped like that? 
Unfortunately, like last year, I like Alison’s team. I like Taniya’s team too, but I don’t want her to win twice in a row. 

• Love 5