Type keyword(s) to search

Battle On The Beach - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, MartyQui said:

I didn’t know that they sold that much Botox in Canada.

They sold their home in Canada and have been based out of Palm Beach for the past few years.

It would be hilarious if the credits showed Ty's wardrobe coming from Goodwill🙂

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

It would be hilarious if the credits showed Ty's wardrobe coming from Goodwill🙂

I said that Monday: “I was reading the credits expecting to see “Ty Pennington’s wardrobe provided by Goodwill Industries.” He looked as if he had a sock on his head at the beginning. 😆

I thought the right team won. Nothing new to it, but their kitchen was the most attractive and the most functional. For Taniya's team, I liked the idea of a banquette, but not that execution. Good glory, that was bad. It made the room look off-balance and crowded, and good luck getting into the seat and being comfortable if you're not size 0. The third team's kitchen was ordinary, very ordinary, except for that ginormous island. Me, I'd prefer the looks and the versatility afforded by a separate, well-sized table and island than an island the size of a real island. You'd have to stand on a stool to even reach the middle.

This is my first season watching this show, so I don't know if things like the auction gimmick are a regular thing, but I could've done without it. I guess they think it adds drama or suspense to the proceedings, but it's rather lackluster drama and suspense. I'd rather watch the designers just design with no limitations except how much money they have. Ty's team came off rather shady, especially with their ceiling, so now I want them to lose. I would've liked to see them get dinged for that, maybe take away a bit of their money or something. I mean, if the show is gonna have these gimmicks, at least stick to them.

• Love 5

Imagine 12 people sitting on that banquette. 4 on each side and 4 across the back. All settled in and enjoying the meal. Suddenly, one person sitting on the back needs to use the loo. 4-5 people have to struggle out of that thing and then either a) stand around waiting for the diner to return or b) struggle back in only to struggle back out and in again when the diner returns. 

(Can you tell I'm not a banquette fan?Lol)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I loathe banquettes and thought this one was particularly stupid. The same effect could have been had with a large table and comfortable chairs so people could individually decide when to get up. 
I also don’t need to be staring at the view every waking moment and don’t want to wear sunglasses while eating because the sun is blazing in my eyes.

• Love 9

Kudos to Team Alison for getting rid of her “art piece.” 😂

I didn’t think Team Homeless Guy should have won because of the vanity being so close to that shower enclosure. That was a hard no for me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
20 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Kudos to Team Alison for getting rid of her “art piece.” 😂

I didn’t think Team Homeless Guy should have won because of the vanity being so close to that shower enclosure. That was a hard no for me.

It was funny because before they physically walked into the bathroom I said, that vanity is too close to the shower. I was glad it was pointed out and not glossed over. I guess Ty won more for the bedroom wall accent color and driftwood board headboard. I didn’t mind that but I think they should have lost for the space issue in the bathroom alone. Also, why is Ty (who I like) still screaming. Both Allison & Tania both took normally during the whole introduction portion of the show. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 2

Wow, I agree with Ty: That win was "unbelievable." Their bedroom was okay, but that bathroom... If I'd been the judge, they would've lost on that alone. I have more space between my vanity and shower in my tiny, tiny bathroom than they did in that one more than twice the size, and that's going to be mightily inconvenient, especially if there's ever two people wanting to use the bathroom at the same time. Plus, the overall bathroom just wasn't that great looking. Combining the bathtub and the shower, as the other two teams did, was a much better use of space and more appealing to look at.

Between last week and this week, I am really not impressed with Ty's team. Their designs have been ordinary and inconvenient, they seem to have trouble with measuring, and I get the impression that that guy will never think anyone else's ideas are better than his.

Even agreeing with the judges' criticisms, I'd have given the bathroom win to Alison's team and the bedroom win to Taniya's. Overall, I guess I'd give the win to Alison's team. I think it was a mistake to go so masculine in the guys' bathroom design, even if I did like it.

10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Kudos to Team Alison for getting rid of her “art piece.”

I really hope Alison was being facetious about using that "art." If not, wow. There's a reason why some of us are called artists and the rest of us are not, Alison, and as someone who prides herself on having a "good" eye for picking out the "best" pieces in antique stores, you should know that.

Also did not see the big deal about Ty's janky headboard. Maybe if it'd been higher? It seemed out of proportion with the bed and the accent wall. Otherwise, meh.

Man, there's some sloppy work going on in these houses. I see some serious clean-up work in someone's future, before HGTV can sell these houses.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Fellaway said:

Wow, I agree with Ty: That win was "unbelievable." Their bedroom was okay, but that bathroom... If I'd been the judge, they would've lost on that alone. I have more space between my vanity and shower in my tiny, tiny bathroom than they did in that one more than twice the size, and that's going to be mightily inconvenient, especially if there's ever two people wanting to use the bathroom at the same time. Plus, the overall bathroom just wasn't that great looking. Combining the bathtub and the shower, as the other two teams did, was a much better use of space and more appealing to look at.

Between last week and this week, I am really not impressed with Ty's team. Their designs have been ordinary and inconvenient, they seem to have trouble with measuring, and I get the impression that that guy will never think anyone else's ideas are better than his.

Even agreeing with the judges' criticisms, I'd have given the bathroom win to Alison's team and the bedroom win to Taniya's. Overall, I guess I'd give the win to Alison's team. I think it was a mistake to go so masculine in the guys' bathroom design, even if I did like it.

I really hope Alison was being facetious about using that "art." If not, wow. There's a reason why some of us are called artists and the rest of us are not, Alison, and as someone who prides herself on having a "good" eye for picking out the "best" pieces in antique stores, you should know that.

Also did not see the big deal about Ty's janky headboard. Maybe if it'd been higher? It seemed out of proportion with the bed and the accent wall. Otherwise, meh.

Man, there's some sloppy work going on in these houses. I see some serious clean-up work in someone's future, before HGTV can sell these houses.

The headboard was too low. They could have added a few more pieces of driftwood. It was out of proportion with the bed and the room in general. I liked the look of it but the execution was off.

• Love 5

The only couple I like are the 2 guys.  The couples I find to be bitchy.  I don't like the way they are with their mentors either.

I think the guys got robbed.  Their bedroom was nice and I loved their bathroom.  The judges didn't have one bad thing to say about their design so I thought it was a shoe in.  

I give up!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, NYGirl said:

The only couple I like are the 2 guys.  The couples I find to be bitchy.  I don't like the way they are with their mentors either.

I think the guys got robbed.  Their bedroom was nice and I loved their bathroom.  The judges didn't have one bad thing to say about their design so I thought it was a shoe in.  

I give up!

I can’t imagine how Team Homeless Guy managed to win with that functional design flaw of having the vanity so close to the shower glass. It was ridiculous!

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/11/2022 at 7:39 AM, Shelbie said:

I loathe banquettes and thought this one was particularly stupid. The same effect could have been had with a large table and comfortable chairs so people could individually decide when to get up. 

It was particularly stupid because there was plenty of room for a larger table & chairs in that room and with a vacation rental you'd want the furniture arrangements to be flexible. Chairs can be moved to join the people on the couch or out on the deck. That fixed monstrosity sucked the energy out of the room.

And that shower squeezed next to the vanity in the "winning" cottage was a claustrophobic deal killer for me, even if I were the only person using the bathroom. I also think the guys got robbed. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 6

Guess they want to make sure everyone gets a win for more drama at the end.  I stopped believing the judges choices a long time ago and just watch the show.  

The worst bathroom winning because of their bedroom is silly.  You can always change the bedroom around, but, re doing the bathroom.....

So far I am not fond of these judges.

Allison's art!  OMG, there was a huge painting at Home Goods today just like what Allison wanted her's to look like  in white.  I should have taken a photo of it.  My hipster daughter really liked it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I feel like they’re not making the homes look light and beachy.  I can’t stand Ty, what an annoying loudmouth.   Roosevelt and son are my favorites despite his doom and gloom outlook. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I feel like they’re not making the homes look light and beachy.

To the "beachy" part...there are already enough fake lobsters, sharks and other ugly fish Hobby Lobby wall hangings in the universe. 

Light, yes. Beachy, not so much. And that goes for anchors, lighthouses and seashells too.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I actually liked that light fixture Alison made out of that trap looking net thing (didn’t catch what the guy said it was). Liked the Audubon shower curtain artwork Taniya came up with too. I wanted the son and dad to win just because they hadn’t yet. That “credenza” was ugly though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I don’t think the guys wanted the banquette setup and were pushed into it by their “pro.”
I’m not impressed with Taniya’s mentoring skills and am afraid the guys have already lost the battle by not adding a half-bath. 

Brandyn & Roosevelt aren’t having fun - at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
56 minutes ago, jette30a said:

They deserved to win the main bed/bath challenge since the others made design flaws that would be very expensive to correct. And now their "mentor" is saying mean things about their choices on national TV. So I don't blame them for being discouraged.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jette30a said:

Agree, they seem miserable. I'm finding this season pretty bad. Everything is so bland & I find the judges unlikable. I find Allison's team the best so far but they are blah too. 

Every time they show Ty I just want someone to come by and take his hat so we can see just how bald he is, lol.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Ty might be the only person I actually like on the show this year and I know he is sort of an offbeat, acquired taste. Taniya and Allison are equally awful and the three sets of homeowners are the tired father and son (who I agree should have won the bedroom and should have said no to the banquette), the obnoxious non-married Jacqueline and partner and the whiney blond lady and her husband. I'd also rather have rotating judges than Bryan and Sarah.

Edited by RowdyCam
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Agree with so much that has been said! I also can't believe Alison's team took out 2 windows. I mean cross breezes are needed, and who wants to run the AC all the time? Agree that the father/son team aren't loving life, and the Baumlers need to chill out with hating color and unsanded wood in a days-long reno 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Agree with so much that has been said! I also can't believe Alison's team took out 2 windows. I mean cross breezes are needed, and who wants to run the AC all the time? Agree that the father/son team aren't loving life, and the Baumlers need to chill out with hating color and unsanded wood in a days-long reno 

Agreed. What's up with people taking out multiple windows from a beach house? Home owners like natural light, they light multiple views, especially when they live oceanfront? 

Other than that, I do think the right team won this week -- their living area had that great stone fireplace that gave it a wow factor. 

I also agree with others that the father-son team should have won the bedroom-bathroom challenge last week. A this week, their fireplace looked plain and unfinished. As if they were supposed to add tile or stone but ran out of time. And why would you tell the judges that your artwork is a shower curtain if they couldn't tell? That's like sabotaging your team. It makes the judges think they're cheap. I don't think she likes the guys very much.

And will the Baumlers please stop mentioning little craftsmanship errors that will obviously be corrected when the designers have more than 7 days to completely renovate a space? Then again, when they point out major design flaws, like the design of a bathroom making the vanity area super-tight, they still give those designers the win. I can't figure it out. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, topanga said:

Home owners like natural light, they light multiple views, especially when they live oceanfront? 

The windows that were closed up faced the house on the other side, so there was no view to take away. It did take away ventilation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

When I saw the rough-wood table (or whatever that was) in Brandyn & Roosevelt’s room with the wine fridge, I wondered if there was even an electrical outlet in the floor for power. If not, then it’s completely useless. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think they really gave it to the father & son out of pity. That room was awful and not to mention the ceiling fan was a safety hazard. Their work is always so sloppy looking. None of the rooms were that good. I guess I would have given it to Allison. Although, it needed artwork on the blank wall.  Next week will be a true test and a much bigger project. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Yeah, it seemed like a pity vote to me, too.  I liked the white room with the wall paper best, but everyone’s work is shoddy.  They really need to either give them more money or more help (more help would seem best, really.)

That blank wall could have looked much better with a frame around the projector area and some blue paint to make the rest of the wall pop.  Then add some storage units and a couple of desks on the side and you’ve got a great room (once you sand everything. Lol)

• Love 5

Whelp, another week where I think Alison's team earned the win. That's every week so far. These judges need to be swapped out because their decisions are wack. First, the bathroom with clear layout issues, now the bedroom - the kids' bedroom - with clear safety issues. True, that pirate bed setup would be a cool idea for some people, and the safety issues can be fixed at another time, but the teams are judged on what they produce now, on their own, aren't they?

What to say about Ty's team? There's just nothing there in their designs, and this week's was butt ugly with those curtains on the beds. They should've ditched them when they saw the fabric they got because that was clearly not working. These two are really not feeling Ty, but without him, there would be nothing distinctive in their house beyond their ginormous and unworkable kitchen island and cramped bathroom, and neither of them is distinctive in a good way. Ty, at least, forces them to bring a little style. They may yet win the whole thing, though, with their generic, bare bones house. It makes for a blank slate for homeowners to work with.

I liked Alison's the best. Yet again, it seemed the most attractive and the most functional, and it didn't scream kids' room. I realize this challenge was so they could have something different for the episode, but... Call me crazy, but I would think a room so clearly designed for kids, like the winners' room, would be a drawback on the market. A lot of people don't have kids and that room would mean renovation right off the bat for them.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

Brandyn & Roosevelt's room with the ship'wreck' is a good concept for a client-requested theme, but not everyone has children that young who'd appreciate something so childish. I agree with the judges regarding the railings (cool use of pipe, but not high enough to be safe) the potential decapitation ceiling fan and the unfinished lower bunk area. The beds didn't look made either. In keeping with the theme, I think a pirate treasure map would've looked better than the custom mural.

I also agreed with the complaints about Wally & Jacqueline's camping room. Whatever that climbing area was intended to be, it was a massive fail. So was the drapery panels on the bed - which I realize wasn't entirely their fault if the wrong fabric was sent. Overall, it didn't look very 'glampy' to me, but more like the Tent City set up we have here in Phoenix at the County jail. 

Corey & Paige's room was the best of the three rooms. I agree with SusanwatchingTV, they should've made a frame for the projector screen and painted the rest of the wall a contrasting color to make it pop.   

They all seem to have issues with time management, which is common amongst all competition shows. I'd prefer the contestants (home improvement, cooking, etc) were given the appropriate amount of time to turn out a quality product instead of whatever they can get done to beat the clock - and then get dinged by the judges for finish work or presentation. For some of these reality show competitors, it's not good advertising for their brand.  

Someone hand Ty a throat lozenge. I'm sure it must be raw from all the yelling. 

Edited by Feline Goddess
  • Love 7

I think each team should be given a couple more helpers. They clearly don’t have time to get everything as finished as the judges would like. The central AC unit in my apartment had to be replaced. The guy came in today to do the plastering on the drywall installed on the ceiling. It was a relatively small area, and it took him about four+ hours to do it thoroughly. I was surprised it was so labor intensive. 

6 hours ago, Feline Goddess said:

Someone hand Ty a throat lozenge. I'm sure it must be raw from all the yelling. 

He’d probably like it better if you gave him a six pack of the new Jack and Coke.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

He’d probably like it better if you gave him a six pack of the new Jack and Coke.

If it would have him passed out in the corner so I don't have to look at or hear him, I'll buy him whatever he wants to drink.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I think Alison’s team should have won but, I agree, they should have fancied up the blank wall with either hanging pictures or some sort of easily removable artwork.

The “glamping” room was so dangerously bad.  Not only could children suffocate in the bunk bed surrounded by a thick tarp but I could also see the potential for strangulation with all those hanging ropes nearby.

Clearly, the father and son team weren’t thinking about safety either.  That said, I thought the ship bed was way too cumbersome for the space.

I also think the teams need more helpers or more time.  Probably both.  Adding rotating  judges makes sense, too.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, tinderbox said:

The “glamping” room was so dangerously bad.  Not only could children suffocate in the bunk bed surrounded by a thick tarp but I could also see the potential for strangulation with all those hanging ropes nearby.

Those ropes looked just plain weird too. Messy and unfinished looking.

• Love 3

The ship bed was a good idea, but poorly executed. I was impressed that they named it for a historic vessel that had meaning for the locale.

I find the whole idea of a "kids' room" for a rental property at the beach limits the appeal for vacationers. Not everyone has children and even teenagers wouldn't be comfortable in a space designed for small kiddies. JMHO.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
17 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Those ropes looked just plain weird too. Messy and unfinished looking.

All I saw was a strangulation hazard or kids getting hands &/or feet tangled causing them to fall and crack their heads open. A liability no landlord needs.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5

Guest bedroom: Ty's team wins. You've got to be kidding me. The kitchen cabinet doors on the wall looked so stupid. Even Sarah laughed at them. Roosevelt and Brandon's bedroom was beautiful.

I did like Ty's teams bathroom the best, but it was overshadowed by the ridiculous bedroom. I think Roosevelt & Brandon deserved the win.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, absolutelyido said:

Guest bedroom: Ty's team wins. You've got to be kidding me. The kitchen cabinet doors on the wall looked so stupid. Even Sarah laughed at them. Roosevelt and Brandon's bedroom was beautiful.

I did like Ty's teams bathroom the best, but it was overshadowed by the ridiculous bedroom. I think Roosevelt & Brandon deserved the win.

I agree with you. Balancing both the bedroom and bathroom, Roosevelt and Brandon should have won. I don’t know why they went for that open vanity. I think that cost them. However, that stupid wall should have killed Team Homeless Guy.

• Love 7

Tainya's team should have won. Ty's team had a nice bathroom but that wall canceled it out. I've liked some of the stuff Alison's team has done in the past but this week their room was a hot mess.

IMO, the judges should be rotated with different ones every week. These judges pretty much ruined the season IMO.

• Love 5

Putting a bunk room is a good idea  for a vacation rental, but the ship theme top bunk was way too high, the rope ladder was dangerous, and the execution was all wrong.  The bottom bunk should have been lower, and the side should have been open, the top bunk needed to be lower, and have a fixed ladder.   Then people could use it safely.     It was better than the other two rooms though.    The one with the tarp was terrible.    

I just happened to turn the rerun of this episode on, and glad I didn't see the entire hour, because it wasn't a matter of picking a winner, but picking the least awful of the three.   

I just read the the next season of Renovation Island is back about the time this ends, so I guess I know why the Baeumlers are judging.   

I'm assuming that Ty's team got the win last night simply because they pulled off the big bathroom, because their guest bedroom was anything but worthy.  The judges made a big deal about how horrendous the cabinet wall nailed on top of crappy plywood was, and then they turn around and choose it?  I'm baffled...

It hit me anew last night how very unlikable almost everyone on this show is, and that made me realize how important that is to my overall enjoyment of it. It's hard to be interested in the show when I can't stand any of the participants. Actually, let me modify that- - Taniya, Brandyn and Roosevelt are all fine, even though they all seem a tad depressed.  I can't blame them, considering!

Ty and his stupid hats are just painful to watch.  I remember back on "Trading Spaces" how he just seemed sort of quirky in an ADD-kind of way, but these days, he comes off as semi-deranged.  I do totally get his frustration with his team though, because they're annoying as all hell. I still shake my head at the first episode when they insisted on painting the ceiling against all rational advice, and I got all schadenfreude-y when they lost because of it.

The husband/wife judging team are so obnoxious!  I'll admit that I've never seen their show, but I also never will, because they've made me dislike them and their snotty snideness with the heat of a thousand suns!  Basically, they act like they're the be-all/end-all, and I'm not sure who died and left them in charge of taste.  Sarah personally wouldn't want to sleep on the upper bunk, so automatically it's crap? 

Since Sarah and Bryan are a married couple, and she obviously wears the pants, it's the same as having just the same one judge week after week, and that makes no sense for any competition.  The whole thing becomes purely subjective to their personal taste.  Like last night, they hate green, so that room automatically sucked.  Who made them the color police?

I totally get the concept of watching people that you love to hate, as odd as it may seem, and I'm able to enjoy watching a villain as much as the next guy. That's not what this show is all about. 

These guys aren't playing bad on purpose- - this crew is just plain inherently unlikable, and there's a huge difference!  If they intend to bring this show back again, I have to hope for better casting.

• Like 1
  • Love 6