Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

Uh the FX champion isn't considered Jewish enough to marry:

When gymnast Artem Dolgopyat stepped off the podium as only the second Israeli to win an Olympic gold medal, he triggered one of Israel’s many cultural tripwires: It quickly emerged that the country’s newest sports hero is banned from marrying his fiancee here because he is not considered Jewish enough by the rabbis who control Israel’s marriage law.

On 8/2/2021 at 12:41 PM, Jeddah said:

I appreciate artistry, but I do want to see the big skills. I think there’s a middle ground. The Olympics are supposed to be about higher, faster, stronger. If the focus was on easier skills with artistry, Jade wouldn’t be Olympic Champion right now. I’m not sure Simone would have 4 gold medals. Some people can do the big skills safely, and they push the sport forward. I think the culture needs to change so gymnasts aren’t forced into doing skills they aren’t prepared for, and mental and physical health are valued. And judges need to give bad execution scores to big skills done with bad technique. But I’d hate for there to be a cap on what these athletes can do.

Well the thing is - I didn't think you should an Olympic gold medalist if you can't do both. If you have to sacrifice one for the other, I feel there is a problem. There shouldn't be a cap. if they can do bigger skills, then do it, but if they can't do it cleanly they shouldn't be awarded medals over people who can do a simpler programme. It's a Ying and Yang.

Like the best way I see it is - in diving you can do all the hard dives you want. but if you screw up your form and landing what you do in the medal means crap. it all needs to come together.  I don't think you should just artistically win your way to a medal- but i don't think you should brute force your way sloppily to one either. 

• Love 7

Form however I've noticed is not really related to difficulty. Form is a habit -- those who have bad form on, say, a Cheng are going to have bad form in a DTY too.

Simone has always had good form, no matter what she's performing.

Certain coaches seem to teach good form -- Al Fong's gymnasts all have excellent form.

The Chinese have excellent form. Japanese MAG have good form. 

• Love 5

The men's horizontal competition was pretty amazing, but goodness some of the guys lost their grip on the bars not once, but twice. Thankfully none of them injured themselves. 

Hashimoto was pretty spectacular, but I miss Kohei Uchimira at these Games. I understand he was due to compete on the horizontal bar, but failed to qualify. He may not be as young as he once was and thus not the best in the world anymore, but he will always be one of the GOAT. 

Am I the only one who loves the Japanese national anthem? It's one of my favorites.

Belated congrats to Simone on her bronze medal. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

When gymnast Artem Dolgopyat stepped off the podium as only the second Israeli to win an Olympic gold medal, he triggered one of Israel’s many cultural tripwires: It quickly emerged that the country’s newest sports hero is banned from marrying his fiancee here because he is not considered Jewish enough by the rabbis who control Israel’s marriage law.

That is appalling.  

No matter what, Love is Love is Love.  People should be allowed to marry whomever they want (as long as they are of age).

• Love 4

Now that the competition is over and I know that everyone made it out safely, I want to share my more shallow/snarky observations.

1) There are some serious cuties among the male gymnasts. Nagornyy and Dalaloyan are at the top of my list, but many others helped make this event easy on the eyes. Thanks guys!

2) I was surprised/impressed by how common tattoos were among the men, especially full sleeve artwork. Between the gymnasts and the swimmers I saw way more ink than I was expecting, and would love to know more about the designs they have (it was hard to get a good look).

3) The music for the floor routines was almost universally dreadful. At best it was boring or forgettable, at worst it sounded like random clips of different pieces thrown together. My least favorite was Melnikova’s, which was a mish-mash of generic techno with some random jazzy piano piece thrown in the middle. The strangest choice was Andrade’s, even though I thought it was hilarious to see her dancing around in a very flowery, pastel leotard to dracula’s theme song.

4) I’m glad that the days of super glittery make-up and hair are nearly gone, but the growth of the rhinestone-encrusted leotards is worrying. I don’t mind a little razzmatazz, but prefer the beauty to come from interesting designs and colors, rather than a barrage of rhinestones. 

5) I was shocked to see how long Suni’s fingernails are. But I’ve been known to break a nail washing dishes, so I’m often baffled at how people can live their lives with any kind of nail length.

6) Speaking of bad gymnast hair, I really hate the newer style of updo that looks like two messy buns sitting on top of each other. Suni was rocking this look most closely here, but the worst offender I’ve seen recently is Kayla DiCello. I think it’s popular at the college level too for some reason. It’s hideous. In contrast, my favorite looks were the French braid/pony tail combo that Jade was wearing, Melanie de Jesus dos Santos’s adorable “poof” updo, and Murakami Mai’s swingy bob.

7) I want to end on a positive note, so I’ll just echo everyone else’s happiness at seeing so much good sportsmanship among the athletes, the impressive spread of medals across different countries, and so many smiles of joy among the medalists - no tears of bronze here!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Enero said:

Hashimoto was pretty spectacular, but I miss Kohei Uchimira at these Games. I understand he was due to compete on the horizontal bar, but failed to qualify.

I believe Uchimura fell off the high bar in the qualification round.  And if I heard the commentators correctly last night, Hashimoto has said that he will give his HB gold medal to Uchimura because it should be his. 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Now that the competition is over and I know that everyone made it out safely, I want to share my more shallow/snarky observations.

1) There are some serious cuties among the male gymnasts. Nagornyy and Dalaloyan are at the top of my list, but many others helped make this event easy on the eyes. Thanks guys!

2) I was surprised/impressed by how common tattoos were among the men, especially full sleeve artwork. Between the gymnasts and the swimmers I saw way more ink than I was expecting, and would love to know more about the designs they have (it was hard to get a good look).

3) The music for the floor routines was almost universally dreadful. At best it was boring or forgettable, at worst it sounded like random clips of different pieces thrown together. My least favorite was Melnikova’s, which was a mish-mash of generic techno with some random jazzy piano piece thrown in the middle. The strangest choice was Andrade’s, even though I thought it was hilarious to see her dancing around in a very flowery, pastel leotard to dracula’s theme song.

4) I’m glad that the days of super glittery make-up and hair are nearly gone, but the growth of the rhinestone-encrusted leotards is worrying. I don’t mind a little razzmatazz, but prefer the beauty to come from interesting designs and colors, rather than a barrage of rhinestones. 

5) I was shocked to see how long Suni’s fingernails are. But I’ve been known to break a nail washing dishes, so I’m often baffled at how people can live their lives with any kind of nail length.

6) Speaking of bad gymnast hair, I really hate the newer style of updo that looks like two messy buns sitting on top of each other. Suni was rocking this look most closely here, but the worst offender I’ve seen recently is Kayla DiCello. I think it’s popular at the college level too for some reason. It’s hideous. In contrast, my favorite looks were the French braid/pony tail combo that Jade was wearing, Melanie de Jesus dos Santos’s adorable “poof” updo, and Murakami Mai’s swingy bob.

7) I want to end on a positive note, so I’ll just echo everyone else’s happiness at seeing so much good sportsmanship among the athletes, the impressive spread of medals across different countries, and so many smiles of joy among the medalists - no tears of bronze here!

I'm glad I am not the only person bugged by Kayla DiCello's messy bun.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

That is appalling.  

No matter what, Love is Love is Love.  People should be allowed to marry whomever they want (as long as they are of age).

In Israel, laws concerning marriage and divorce are handled in religious courts, there is no civil, non-religious means of getting married there.  There are separate marital courts for Jews, Muslims and Christians; all financed by the state.  So, Dolgopyat, whose father is Jewish and who identifies as Jewish and attended some Jewish schools since emigrating to Israel as a kid, only has the option of getting married in the Jewish faith if he wants to get married in Israel.  However, the Jewish marital laws follow strict Orthodox rules, meaning, he can't just identify as Jewish, he has to meet the narrow Orthodox criteria in order to get married in Israel.  Dolgopyat's mother is not Jewish and did not convert prior to his birth (or ever, as far as I can tell).  In the Orthodox definition of Jewishness, his mother must be Jewish by birth or conversion or Dolgopyat is not a Jew and cannot have a Jewish marriage.  Nothing else matters.  .Even though many Israeli Jews are not Orthodox, the laws do not reflect that.

Dolgopyat and his fiancee can get married in a civil ceremony in another country and return to Israel and register themselves as a married couple with the state, though.  His mother says he doesn't have time because he travels so much for gymnastics, but it seems like that might make it easier.

I must say that I enjoyed the artistic gymnastics competition a lot this year.  I know the lack of crowds was probably difficult for the competitors but I felt like it gave us a more intimate look at them as well as allowed them to interact with one another more freely than could've happened if a zillion people had been around.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 9
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I must say that I enjoyed the artistic gymnastics competition a lot this year.  I know the lack of crowds was probably difficult for the competitors but I felt like it gave us a more intimate look at them as well as allowed them to interact with one another more freely than could've happened if a zillion people had been around.

THIS!  ^  :)

2 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

The music for the floor routines was almost universally dreadful

Also This.  ^

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 3

While I'm sad artistic gymnastics is over, I'm glad I no longer have to tolerate NBC's horrific prime time coverage. Somehow, they managed to disappointment me every night, which is why I switched to watching the streams. To quote that coach from the 2000 Olympic Trials, "How many times, NBC?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, PepSinger said:

While I'm sad artistic gymnastics is over, I'm glad I no longer have to tolerate NBC's horrific prime time coverage. Somehow, they managed to disappointment me every night, which is why I switched to watching the streams. To quote that coach from the 2000 Olympic Trials, "How many times, NBC?"

Their coverage was truly terrible. It’s hard to overstate how much I preferred the feeds. 

• Love 9

So Hoda and Savannah were of course having to capture the moment that Suni saw her family, and her family has to sit there on TV waiting for her, etc.  But why is it that they act like Suni only has a father and he gets all of the credit?  I am sure her mom is an important figure in her life, and she was sitting in the back row with the siblings as an "extra".  I get that the dad is more newsworthy but this interview was horrible in making it sound like it was all about her dad being there for her.  As a mom, I would have been pissed off, lol.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, alexa said:

So Hoda and Savannah were of course having to capture the moment that Suni saw her family, and her family has to sit there on TV waiting for her, etc.  But why is it that they act like Suni only has a father and he gets all of the credit?  I am sure her mom is an important figure in her life, and she was sitting in the back row with the siblings as an "extra".  I get that the dad is more newsworthy but this interview was horrible in making it sound like it was all about her dad being there for her.  As a mom, I would have been pissed off, lol.  

Thank you! My mom and I were talking about this. It’s all about her dad, his medical issues, how he built a beam in the backyard, loves and supported her, etc. All that’s true, but Suni’s dad is not her only family member. I’m certain her mom and siblings have been just as instrumental in her success. But no, let’s shine all the spotlights on Dad because that’s the REALLY important part of the story!

Anyone else think NBC is annoyed that Suni’s dad isn’t wearing all 3 medals in Suni’s tweet that @scarynikki12 posted? They’re probably reminding themselves “well, at least her Dad’s wearing the gold and I guess her mom should wear silver because I’m sure she’s helped out here and there along the way.” 🙄 

• Love 9
On 8/3/2021 at 8:20 AM, ombelico said:

It appears that NBC is embargoing the replay, presumably to capitalize on Simone's return. Given that all of the other replays had been available right after the competition and that I value my sleep, I stayed unspoiled and went to load up the replay to find that it's not there! If there had been a note ahead of time that the replay wasn't going to be available, I would have woken up for it. Grr!

Not only did they embargo the replay, but when I went that morning to try to watch it, the website popped up an alert to inform me that Simone had won the bronze on the event. Thanks ever so much, NBC Olympics website. If I had known they weren't going to post the replay immediately after the event, as they had for every other event thus far, I wouldn't have gone online at all.

I'm very happy for Simone, though. I've been very emotional these Olympics.  I loved the footage of Suni watching Simone's routine, and of course Jordan. As others have mentioned, there seems to be a genuine love among this particular group of gymnasts that really shines through. I was surprised to see upthread that people didn't think Jade was a part of it--I think Jade is a naturally more reserved person but those hugs she and Suni exchanged in the AA seemed genuine and heartfelt, as did Jade's excitement when Suni won. 

On 8/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, selkie said:

Unpopular opinion- the overly dramatic shoulders of Vanessa Ferrari were highly annoying during her floor routine. She just kept flinging them everywhere and anywhere in an attempt to show 'artistry'.

I enjoyed her routine a lot when I watched it live, but when I watched the replay later a lot of it seemed a bit silly, and I agree about the Shoulders of Drama. 

Did anyone see the ladies on Today this morning? I got all teary AGAIN when they were asked who their role models were and all the non-Simone gymnasts immediately said Simone. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

Not only did they embargo the replay, but when I went that morning to try to watch it, the website popped up an alert to inform me that Simone had won the bronze on the event. Thanks ever so much, NBC Olympics website.

That's the exact same shit that happened to me, too, and I. WAS. PISSED🤬

• Love 1
4 hours ago, alexa said:

Thank you. NBC's coverage of the games has an element of "wow, dads are involved in their kids' lives!" as if that's such an unusual thing. Like they kept saying for Jade Carey and her dad "her father says their bond is unbreakable." Well duh I would think it's unbreakable.

• Love 3
On 8/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, BrindaWalsh said:

Then there was little Dominique just happily flipping all over the place with a big ass smile on her face.  

As it turns out, that was all fake because she had a fractured tibia and was in constant pain.

(Edited to note that I'm not blaming her.  I blame the damned Karolyis.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Daisy said:

Well the thing is - I didn't think you should an Olympic gold medalist if you can't do both. If you have to sacrifice one for the other, I feel there is a problem. There shouldn't be a cap. if they can do bigger skills, then do it, but if they can't do it cleanly they shouldn't be awarded medals over people who can do a simpler programme. It's a Ying and Yang.

I agree with you about doing it cleanly and with good technique. I was more commenting about the call for comps or doing simpler skills in an “artistic” way. My example was Jade. She did really hard skills with great landings and great form in the air, so it doesn’t bother me that she’s not very graceful. I guess maybe this is a semantics thing? If artistry just means done well, then of course I want both equally. If we’re using artistry to mean ballerina-ish, then I don’t think that should trump difficulty.

I was also letting the talk about figure skating cloud my view too. People complain about the quads ruining artistry, and I just don’t get it. There are some incredibly talented, artistic skaters right now who can do five clean quads in a program. I think it’s amazing, and yet there are people who want a cap on the number of quads.

• Love 5

Long dominated by Russia, rhythmic gymnastics rising in US

This is a great article on the superior gymnastics discipline (just IMO?) and it's American athletes struggles in the US.

I've been following, watching, learning about, talking about and adoring the sport since 2003. Things have gotten better over the years. There's more media about it now, more people are talking about looking forward to watching it during the Games, I think fewer people are making fun of it and saying shit like "how is that a sport?!" The changes are very slow, though, and we have lightyears to go. I've found myself almost dreading going to different message boards because I know there's going to be "why is rhythmic gymnastics even in the olympics?" posts.  When I tell people I'm a fan, I often have to explain what it is, explain that, no, it's not a hula-hoop, and that no one does a back flip. Fewer people see it as "skinny girls prancing around with streamers" now than in 2003 but way too many people still do.

Also, more kids' gymnastics books are featuring rhythmic, even if it's just a full page. Maybe 2 pages if I'm lucky. Do I grab every gymnastics book I see and immediately turn to "R" in the index to look for rhythmic? Why, yes, I do.

I'm reminded of an Olympic year where Jay Leno joked about it in his monologue. "...and rhythmic gymnastics? Isn't that just playing with your cat?" while miming twirling a ribbon. I sent him an angry email. 4 years later, during a show around the time of the following Olympics, he made the EXACT SAME JOKE. And, no, his imaginary ribbon technique had not improved! 😆 I wrote another angry email, pointing out the repetition and strongly encouraging him to get new jokes. Call me too sensitive if you think the half-sole toe shoe fits but disrespecting an already-crapped-on-and-disrespected sport that I love are fighting words for me!

#Americanrhythmicgymnasticsfanproblems Like #firstworldproblems but with the added grievance of trying to explain to people what a club is.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

This is a great article on the superior gymnastics discipline (just IMO?) and it's American athletes struggles in the US.

I've been following, watching, learning about, talking about and adoring the sport since 2003. Things have gotten better over the years. There's more media about it now, more people are talking about looking forward to watching it during the Games, I think fewer people are making fun of it and saying shit like "how is that a sport?!" The changes are very slow, though, and we have lightyears to go. I've found myself almost dreading going to different message boards because I know there's going to be "why is rhythmic gymnastics even in the olympics?" posts.  When I tell people I'm a fan, I often have to explain what it is, explain that, no, it's not a hula-hoop, and that no one does a back flip. Fewer people see it as "skinny girls prancing around with streamers" now than in 2003 but way too many people still do.

Also, more kids' gymnastics books are featuring rhythmic, even if it's just a full page. Maybe 2 pages if I'm lucky. Do I grab every gymnastics book I see and immediately turn to "R" in the index to look for rhythmic? Why, yes, I do.

I'm reminded of an Olympic year where Jay Leno joked about it in his monologue. "...and rhythmic gymnastics? Isn't that just playing with your cat?" while miming twirling a ribbon. I sent him an angry email. 4 years later, during a show around the time of the following Olympics, he made the EXACT SAME JOKE. And, no, his imaginary ribbon technique had not improved! 😆 I wrote another angry email, pointing out the repetition and strongly encouraging him to get new jokes. Call me too sensitive if you think the half-sole toe shoe fits but disrespecting an already-crapped-on-and-disrespected sport that I love are fighting words for me!

#Americanrhythmicgymnasticsfanproblems Like #firstworldproblems but with the added grievance of trying to explain to people what a club is.

I love your passion! You’ve inspired me to check out rhythmic gymnastics.

And Jay Leno sucks.

• Love 5

I get that the dad is more newsworthy but this interview was horrible in making it sound like it was all about her dad being there for her.

He's not her biological dad and her parents aren't married.  She adopted his last name but he has never legally adopted her.  (NOT SURE THOSE REPORTS ARE TRUE.) 

Her mother may be upset about the situation ^  .   She also may be shy and have a poor command of the English language.  

5 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

OMG why am I not surprised that Jay fucking Leno is recycling his own tired jokes?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

I've been following, watching, learning about, talking about and adoring the sport since 2003.

What's your favorite apparatus? Who are the ones to watch this time?

I watched part of the qualification round and thought it was very impressive, but I have no idea why some were better than others (except when competitors obviously lost control of their apparatus). I think I like the hoop and ribbon best, but it all looks pretty cool.

39 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

What's your favorite apparatus? Who are the ones to watch this time?

I watched part of the qualification round and thought it was very impressive, but I have no idea why some were better than others (except when competitors obviously lost control of their apparatus). I think I like the hoop and ribbon best, but it all looks pretty cool.

I think rhythmic gymnastics judging is very hard to follow for the casual viewer. Even I have difficulties seeing the differences and I'm a dancer. The differences are just so miniscule. (A pirouette which has more rotations or is cleaner, a jump that gets more height and/or covers more ground, a balance element that is better executed etc).

The gymnasts are judged on balance, flexibility, pirouettes, jumps and handling of the apparatus. If they throw or catch an apparatus with anything but their hand, it adds to the difficulty, likewise if they catch it out of their line of sight.

I don't if it has changed but it used to be that they have to handle the apparatus with both hands equally and that 50% of the ball routine had to be made up of flexibility elements, 50% of the rope routine had to be jumps, 50% of the ribbon routine had to be turns, 50% of the clubs routine had to be balance and the hoop routine had to include some of everything.
But I've always found it very hard to differentiate because things I'd consider balance from dance don't necessarily count towards balance in rhythmic gymnastics.

Just a fun note, I was doing translations for the Berlin Masters for a few years a few years ago and by the end of the day, I had trouble watching. With the bright lights and the bright colors and sequins, it all just started to blur together. I have no idea how the judges are doing it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I'm finally watching my recording of rhythmic gymnastics and it's just stunning. I have no idea what to watch for, I'm just enjoying the beauty and skill of it. I can't even throw a ball up a few feet and catch it with my hands while standing perfectly still. These girls are throwing it dozens of feet into the air and catching it with their feet while twirling like a ballerina. It's amazing. 

• Love 10

Wasn't there always an Olympics showcase of all the winners after the conclusion of the events?  Set to music, lots of clapping and smiles?  Was it removed this year obviously because of Covid and the lack of audience?  Or has it been missing from the last several Olympics and I'm just old and memory failing?

With Simone and Suni home already, obviously there isn't going to be one...

Edited by greyhorse

I'm really impressed that Australia has their first Rhythmic Gymnastic team competing at the Olympics. We've always managed to send an individual but never a team. And I know we only qualified as the Continental Representative and the scores reflect how far behind we are with the rest of the world, but considering we couldn't manage to field a team in Sydney with automatic qualification, I think it's cool that we've progressed so far since then to have a team this competition.

• Love 8

My DVR started to pick up rhythmic a few years back (it's set to record anything with the keyword 'gymnastics') and I'm kind of able to tell the difference between very good an excellent at this point. 

I actually kind of dig the Russian influence because apparently in Russia there is no middle ground between high culture ballerina and tacky as heck and I dig the extra level of WTF?  you get from the music and costuming as the women do amazing things with their bodies. 

I mean I'm working my way through the qualifiers now and the Bulgarian gymnast did a perfectly lovely performance to a bad synthesizer folk version of 'Eye of the Tiger' and how can you not appreciate that? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

Wasn't there always an Olympics showcase of all the winners after the conclusion of the events?  Set to music, lots of clapping and smiles?  

I was wondering this as well. I think the last time I watched one was Sexy Alexei's final Olympics. He was so great at taking off his shirt and flirting with the camera, heh. I wasn't as into gymnastics after he retired but still would occasionally tune in every four years. But I don't recall seeing the showcase in what feels like forever.

• Love 1

Saw MyKayla's latest vlog and thought of something. Myk tries sushi and doesn't like it. Later she says Simone ordered her fries and pizza. 

I have to think that the girls' craving for pizza and fries (Suni said she wolfed down pizza as a celebration as well) comes from the Marta years of "I better not see you eating or drinking a calorie." They obviously long for high fat, high calorie foods.

Myk also indicated there was a bit of tension between the gymnasts who made event finals and those who didn't.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Saw MyKayla's latest vlog and thought of something. Myk tries sushi and doesn't like it. Later she says Simone ordered her fries and pizza. 

I have to think that the girls' craving for pizza and fries (Suni said she wolfed down pizza as a celebration as well) comes from the Marta years of "I better not see you eating or drinking a calorie." They obviously long for high fat, high calorie foods.

Myk also indicated there was a bit of tension between the gymnasts who made event finals and those who didn't.

So, Jordan and Grace against everyone else? I can't see that what with Simone and Jordan being besties. I don't know anything about Grace, and she seemed very quiet, so she was really a cypher.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

So, Jordan and Grace against everyone else? I can't see that what with Simone and Jordan being besties. I don't know anything about Grace, and she seemed very quiet, so she was really a cypher.

Jordan's had a rough few months and she had a rough meet here too. I could see tensions being there with her. 

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, I know about Jordan's mother and that mess. That couldn't have been easy to put out of her mind. But did she really cause friction, as Mck suggests?

Myk didn't say she caused friction, just that tempers were a bit short all around.

I'm sure the Simone thing wasn't making things easier, as was the uncertainty about whether Myk would do vault event finals.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Wasn't there always an Olympics showcase of all the winners after the conclusion of the events?  Set to music, lots of clapping and smiles?  Was it removed this year obviously because of Covid and the lack of audience?  Or has it been missing from the last several Olympics and I'm just old and memory failing?

With Simone and Suni home already, obviously there isn't going to be one...

Yes, I believe there was always a gymnastics exhibition with all of the medal winners that took place after the competition was finished.  The Winter Olympics has a similar figure skating exhibition.  In the exhibition, the athletes perform to music and perform tricky moves that wouldn't be allowed in competition.  It's usually lighthearted and fun and the audience gets a little insight into the athletes' personalities.

I suppose the exhibition has been canceled due to COVID.

• Useful 2

I went to the Gymnastics exhibition at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. I think it was on the Sunday after the first week of competition. It had both men's and women's artistic teams and the trampolines.

Edited by MaryMitch