Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Yup. The larger conversation a week ago was about how Simone is a hero for standing up for mental health, and the rest of the team is awesome for stepping up. Now the conversation is about how they are childish, ungrateful girls who are awful for not eating sushi when a tv host unexpectedly handed them a plate. Fast turnaround. All they accomplished mattered for about five days before people started to go after them for something as minor as not wanting sushi.

It doesn't take long for people to turn on young women. They have always been easy targets.

I'm happy to note that most of the media is focusing on Simone's great new hair and visit to her boyfriend at Texans training camp, along with coverage of the other gymnasts returning home to their families. 

The end of the Olympics is always filled with the tearful feelgood moments. I love the love that Oksana Chusovitina is getting. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Admittedly, the noise she made wasn't the greatest look, but after Suni asked her if she didn't like it, Simone said something that wasn't clear - and right after that, Hoda said "we don't want anyone getting sick". So I wonder if Simone said that it would make her sick. And when someone has a bad experience with a certain type of food and then it's unexpectedly put in front of them, I think a little freaking out is understandable.

Well there is a still a better way to handle it. I was surprised by her reaction because her mom always like to points out in the many profiles I've read about Simone is how much they travel and getting rid of family trips was non negotiable once her training increased as a teenager. 

I remember during the 2012 quad when Nastia was making her comeback it seemed like every senior national team member was obsessed with sushi.  I only remember it because I thought how sad sushi was a treat aka a break from their regular diet.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Well there is a still a better way to handle it. I was surprised by her reaction because her mom always like to points out in the many profiles I've read about Simone is how much they travel and getting rid of family trips was non negotiable once her training increased as a teenager. 

I remember during the 2012 quad when Nastia was making her comeback it seemed like every senior national team member was obsessed with sushi.  I only remember it because I thought how sad sushi was a treat aka a break from their regular diet.

For sure, it would have been nice if she could have just said "no thank you", and I get what you're saying.

I just felt like there was a lot of extrapolation going on here (not necessarily by you specifically) that the whole group of them were uncultured, ugly Americans based on a few seconds of video where one has an adverse reaction, another didn't recognize fish eggs, and the rest of them reacted with at most surprise.

I'm still just pleased that the whole group of them excelled at these Olympics and each came away with at least one medal, when for a little while there it didn't look like that was possible. 

2 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

For sure, it would have been nice if she could have just said "no thank you", and I get what you're saying.

I just felt like there was a lot of extrapolation going on here (not necessarily by you specifically) that the whole group of them were uncultured, ugly Americans based on a few seconds of video where one has an adverse reaction, another didn't recognize fish eggs, and the rest of them reacted with at most surprise.

I'm still just pleased that the whole group of them excelled at these Olympics and each came away with at least one medal, when for a little while there it didn't look like that was possible. 

Yeah I guess I just thought Simone was more cultured than your average person because she was well traveled. I don't think I will ever be able to see caviar again and not think of sprinkles so thank you MyKayla Skinner. 

I'm glad they all won a medal too. Who else is ready for Worlds in a few months? 

I'm honestly ready for the NBC promos hyping Skye Blakely and Konnor McClain and the mentions of WOGA getting it's glory back. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Were they asked if they wanted sushi, though?  If not, then that's on whomever decided to serve them sushi, not them.  Because not everyone in the freaking world likes sushi, or even likes seafood, for that matter.

Or even eating on camera. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Here's the interview.

I think they act like ugly Americans the way they shriek at the sushi. And none of them have a clue how to use chopsticks?

Thank you for posting this. First off I have to say the host is annoying. Why is she talking to them like they are 5? These are teens and young adults.

As for the food. When she asked "if they were hungry" they probably weren't listening and just responded. And its awkward when you don't like the food. I actually don't think they were that bad. 

As for the "sick" comment actually that was the host, not them. So less rude actually.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Love teppanyaki. Hate sushi. 

The RG costumes had some of the worst quality illusion fabric that I have ever seen. It was thick, rolled at the edges and the wrong color for each gymnasts skin.

RG has some of the strictest rules in sports with regards to leotards, or at least they used to (but I think they still do), so it's possible that the fabric has to be that thick. It's even possible that they're not allowed to give the illusion of nudity, in other words, that the choice of color was intentional but I don't know. I just know that when I read the rules years ago, I thought they were a bit over the top.

6 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I went to Japan some years ago and was surprised that sushi was usually sold as snack packs in delis.

I heard that sushi is Japan's fast food and eaten with fingers. No idea if it's true, though.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Did anyone watch the interview? I did. They were asked if they were hungry and wanted some food and they said yes and then someone specifically prepared them food, which they then declined like pre-teens at a slumber party only to upload pictures of pizza and fries to instagram later. 

I think it is kind of crappy to ask someone if they are hungry and then spring a specific type of food on them without checking what they like. It would be better to ask if they want sushi (or whatever) first, because then they can politely decline by saying they aren't hungry. Especially something like sushi which isn't really a universally liked food.

Not everyone likes all foods, and adults shouldn't be forced to eat something they don't want to. And it looked like it was just American Today Show staff giving them a plate a food. It may be different if they were talking to the chef or someone from Japan trying to make some kind of gesture. 

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

And it looked like it was just American Today Show staff giving them a plate a food. It may be different if they were talking to the chef or someone from Japan trying to make some kind of gesture. 

It was Craig Melvin. He’s one of cohosts of the Today Show. He definitely didn’t make that sushi. He probably just grabbed it off the craft table.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I went to Japan some years ago and was surprised that sushi was usually sold as snack packs in delis. The real restaurants have sashimi (raw, smoked fish) and these delicious noodle bowls. 

Thank you for this. The great sushi debate is happening and most people don’t even seem to know what sushi actually is or isn’t. 

• Love 1