Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Saw MyKayla's latest vlog and thought of something. Myk tries sushi and doesn't like it. Later she says Simone ordered her fries and pizza. 

I have to think that the girls' craving for pizza and fries (Suni said she wolfed down pizza as a celebration as well) comes from the Marta years of "I better not see you eating or drinking a calorie." They obviously long for high fat, high calorie foods.

Myk also indicated there was a bit of tension between the gymnasts who made event finals and those who didn't.

The team was offered sushi during an NBC interview with Hoda as well and they all stared at it as if it was poisoned. These gymnasts eat like American toddlers. Did they want chicken fingers and hot dogs too? To me its an indication of how sheltered their lives are. 

Pizza paired with french fries is seriously gross. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

I went to the Gymnastics exhibition at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. I think it was on the Sunday after the first week of competition. It had both men's and women's artistic teams and the trampolines.

I remember watching that. When I saw the Magnificent 7 dancing the Macarena, for some reason, it immediately made me think of my high school cheerleaders and their dance moves at half-time during football games.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

The team was offered sushi during an NBC interview with Hoda as well and they all stared at it as if it was poisoned. These gymnasts eat like American toddlers. Did they want chicken fingers and hot dogs too? To me its an indication of how sheltered their lives are. 

To me it's indicative of how rarely they get to indulge in junk food and were using the opportunity to enjoy it for a change.

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, SweetSable said:

To me it's indicative of how rarely they get to indulge in junk food and were using the opportunity to enjoy it for a change.

They were hungry during an interview and were kindly offered plates of amazing sushi and no one knew what to do with it. They looked like they had never seen it before it their lives and there were a few squeals about how gross it was. Mykayla called roe “sprinkles” which was actually sort of funny. They are sheltered as hell. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

Pizza paired with french fries is seriously gross. 

Hm... maybe I am a kid at heart as I too would take Pizza or Chicken fingers over sushi in a second. Pizza with fries isn't something I'd do either as it's too "unhealthy".

However, if I were ever in Japan I'd try Sushi (even though I haven't liked it in the past) and would be polite if someone offered it to me. They probably didn't know how to eat it plus it's awkward to eat on camera (regardless of the food). I didn't see the interview but that maybe all it is. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

Hm... maybe I am a kid at heart as I too would take Pizza or Chicken fingers over sushi in a second. Pizza with fries isn't something I'd do either as it's too "unhealthy".

However, if I were ever in Japan I'd try Sushi (even though I haven't liked it in the past) and would be polite if someone offered it to me. They probably didn't know how to eat it plus it's awkward to eat on camera (regardless of the food). I didn't see the interview but that maybe all it is. 

The sushi looked so good that I ordered some for lunch after watching it because I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Pizza and french fries just looks like a date with Rolaids waiting to happen. But then again, I’m no longer twenty!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

The sushi looked so good that I ordered some for lunch after watching it because I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

Pizza and french fries just looks like a date with Rolaids waiting to happen. But then again, I’m no longer twenty!

I think it depends on how often you do something like that, in my case not that often and age shouldn't matter as its nice to have a treat once in a while, just not all the time.  As for the gymnast they are obviously in great shape and deserve to get to eat what they want too. And I'm totally getting OT sorry.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Considering the prevalence of eating disorders in this sport, I'm not going to judge these women on what they do or do not eat.

I also despise sushi. I love raw tuna. But sushi gives me that feeling that I'm about to vomit whenever I get it close to my mouth. That doesn't mean I'm uncultured or too young or anything along those lines. It just means I don't like sushi. I shouldn't be judged for that; neither should anyone else. Nobody should be judged for not liking pizza either. Except for those freaks who like pineapple on pizza. I'm totally for judging them. :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Considering the prevalence of eating disorders in this sport, I'm not going to judge these women on what they do or do not eat.

I also despise sushi. I love raw tuna. But sushi gives me that feeling that I'm about to vomit whenever I get it close to my mouth. That doesn't mean I'm uncultured or too young or anything along those lines. It just means I don't like sushi. I shouldn't be judged for that; neither should anyone else. Nobody should be judged for not liking pizza either. Except for those freaks who like pineapple on pizza. I'm totally for judging them. :)

When none of them even want to try it or seem to know what it is, it is highly likely that they just haven’t been exposed to it. Out of six none of them wants to try it? I think Suni was the only one who didn’t act revolted.

I’m not the only one who noticed or remarked on this. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

What is the Olympics without controversy?  The ROC is challenging the judging in the rhythmic finals.

The Russians having quite the balls for criticizing judging with their own history of being on the other side of that.

• Love 16
17 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

When none of them even want to try it or seem to know what it is, it is highly likely that they just haven’t been exposed to it. Out of six none of them wants to try it? I think Suni was the only one who didn’t act revolted.

I’m not the only one who noticed or remarked on this. 

To me that just shows that despite traveling around the world for competitions these gymnasts are incredibly sheltered and every inch of their lives including what they eat has been controlled. It's shocking that all of them acted like sushi was this strange, awful thing and they only want pizza and fries. You wonder if any of them have even been to a restaurant before.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Myk also indicated there was a bit of tension between the gymnasts who made event finals and those who didn't.

I would imagine her husband posting about how Grace and Jordan shouldn’t have made the team would probably cause some tension too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

I'm twice the age of these ladies and ate sushi for the first time two weeks ago. And I'm not sheltered. I've just never had occasion to go to a sushi restaurant. And I did not like it. If you put a plate in front of me on tv I'd be hesitant about eating it. I wouldn't know what anything was, other than rice and raw fish, and I'd be worried about eating something I found unpleasant. I'd much rather try something for the first time on my own.

Edited by P2C2E
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

At trials, Nastia and Tim went on and on about about how the US should sweep the medals, blah blah blah, that it would be expected, that if they didn’t it would be a shock, more blah blah blah. Every gymnast could get multiple medals, and dear god I wanted Tim to shut up.

Jordan and Grace are the ones who didn’t make finals, right? They are 20 and 18 respectively. At those ages, it’s hard to have the confidence you need to perform and still not buy into the press about you. Snark tweets don’t help.

At least that horrific douche, Brody Malone left without a medal. If he’s the future of US Men’s gymnastics, it’s going to be tough to get me to care.

• Love 12

I'm still catching up on rhythmic gymnastics and loving it. One girl did a routine to a mix of Beyonce songs and another had one to an orchestral version of Britney Spears' "Toxic." So fun.

But these girls are banged up. Close ups on their legs show tons of bruises and one girl had a bruise on the back of her neck, yikes. These are tough athletes. 

• Love 4

At those ages, it’s hard to have the confidence you need to perform and still not buy into the press about you.

MaryLou Retton won all-around at 16; Nadia at 14, Gabby at 16, Sunisa at 18.  

Gymnasts need media training and realistic expectations as part of their training. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

If you live near a Wegmans, try  it.  Cooked shrimp with ginger and rice.  Wonderful!

Everyone has different tastes. I’ve attempted to eat sushi at various places and each time, the moment it goes in my mouth, my throat and tongue push it out viciously as if I’m about to vomit. So…I’ll pass. I mean, why put myself through that? And no one wants to watch me actually barf.

I also loathe ginger, in all forms except ale and snap.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the rhythmic final yet, but the twins were off? A damn shame for them, but I loved the Israeli in qualifying. 

• Love 3

This is getting OT but really? None of y'all have ever picked up the sushi snack packs at a grocery store? I used to grab the shrimp ones for lunch. 

I do think the US ladies suffered from a surfeit of expectations that wasn't that warranted. Yeah Simone was amazing but the rest of the team wasn't as strong as previous years.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

MaryLou Retton won all-around at 16; Nadia at 14, Gabby at 16, Sunisa at 18.  

Gymnasts need media training and realistic expectations as part of their training. 

Right now, I’ll settle for gymnasts not being sexually molested, learning healthy nutrition and having positive body images. Other than that, I’m just not a fan of judging young girls. They are going through so much that a small errors of grace aren’t a big deal. I know many adults who show less dignity and grace on a regular basis, and their every moves aren’t plastered over social media.

• Love 19
34 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This is getting OT but really? None of y'all have ever picked up the sushi snack packs at a grocery store? I used to grab the shrimp ones for lunch. 

I do think the US ladies suffered from a surfeit of expectations that wasn't that warranted. Yeah Simone was amazing but the rest of the team wasn't as strong as previous years.

It's one thing to pick up some sushi at the grocery store, take it home and give it a try.  It is something else entirely to eat it on national TV in front of an audience of millions.  I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to try something new in front of the world.  And, no, I have never bought sushi to give it a try.  It doesn't appeal to me and no matter how convenient, it never will.  

I have really enjoyed the rhythmic gymnastics.  There is something very ethereal and relaxing in watching them.  Very zen.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 14

My favourite part of the Team Event in Rhythmic Gymnastics was learning that the Australian team give little nicknames to moves to help them remember them. You know cute names linked to Australia like Koala, Possum. But the absolute favourite was the opening move to their Ball routine being called The Pig Roast. Man I love our (Aussie) sense of humour. If you manage to see footage of it, it is a very appropriate name.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, blueray said:

10 hours ago, SweetSable said:

5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

To me that just shows that despite traveling around the world for competitions these gymnasts are incredibly sheltered and every inch of their lives including what they eat has been controlled. It's shocking that all of them acted like sushi was this strange, awful thing and they only want pizza and fries. You wonder if any of them have even been to a restaurant before.

I don't think it shows how sheltered they are at all.  These kids are 18 to 24 years old.  How many of us ate sushi when we were 18 years old?  I certainly didn't.  It's an acquired taste.  For one, it's raw, and not everyone jumps at the idea of eating something uncooked. And two, it's not exactly as cheap as a burger and fries.   If anything, maybe it's a reflection of the eating preferences of their parents.  I'd be surprised if Suni never had sushi.  Yes, she's Chinese, but I'd think that her Asian parents would at some point have brought the family out to a Japanese restaurant.

But yes, they probably have pretty strict diets, especially when they are training.  I'd imagining a steady diet of steamed chicken and broccoli...

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

I don't think it shows how sheltered they are at all.  These kids are 18 to 24 years old.  How many of us ate sushi when we were 18 years old?  I certainly didn't.  It's an acquired taste.  For one, it's raw, and not everyone jumps at the idea of eating something uncooked. And two, it's not exactly as cheap as a burger and fries.   If anything, maybe it's a reflection of the eating preferences of their parents.  I'd be surprised if Suni never had sushi.  Yes, she's Chinese, but I'd think that her Asian parents would at some point have brought the family out to a Japanese restaurant.

But yes, they probably have pretty strict diets, especially when they are training.  I'd imagining a steady diet of steamed chicken and broccoli...

I had sushi when I was in my teens. It's just a staple of the diet.

My mom only eats California rolls but to act that put out over sushi is shocking.

I know Michelle Kwan would not eat sushi before a competition due to the possibility of getting food poisoning and maybe the gymnasts didn't want to risk it even if they were in Japan, inventor of sushi, and competition was over due to the long flight home they had. That's something I really would not want to experience. 

I was happily surprised to realize the gymnast in the Start Your Impossible commercial was Alex Moreno - she competes for Mexico so I wouldn't have expected to see her in a commercial airing in the US. McKayla Maroney is in a Geico (?) commercial and Laurie Hernandez is in a drug commercial (one she does not use). Good to know other gymnasts other than Biles is getting a chance to cash in on that endorsement money.

I'm hoping Suni gets to endorse Scholls - her toes gave her that gold medal. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The twins dropped apparatuses and were off their game. The Israeli girl deserved the gold. 

I mean, Linoy also dropped her ribbon, I believe. All in all, it really wasn't the best final. I'm excited for the group final which I believe just started because someone actually beat the Russians in qualifying! Will we have another shock gold medalist? Another controversy? This is why I love Rhythmic Gymnastics and Artistic Swimming. It's just so exciting. LOL. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I'm hoping Suni gets to endorse Scholls - her toes gave her that gold medal. 

I want to know what brand acrylic nails she used! Those were some nails, and they stayed on!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

3 hours ago, P2C2E said:

I'm twice the age of these ladies and ate sushi for the first time two weeks ago. And I'm not sheltered. I've just never had occasion to go to a sushi restaurant. And I did not like it. If you put a plate in front of me on tv I'd be hesitant about eating it. I wouldn't know what anything was, other than rice and raw fish, and I'd be worried about eating something I found unpleasant. I'd much rather try something for the first time on my own.

3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

At least that horrific douche, Brody Malone left without a medal. If he’s the future of US Men’s gymnastics, it’s going to be tough to get me to care.

So I've been hearing that Malone is a QAnon nutter? I searched the web, couldn't find anything--what did he erase from his searchable social media accounts? What exactly did he say?

2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

It's one thing to pick up some sushi at the grocery store, take it home and give it a try.  It is something else entirely to eat it on national TV in front of an audience of millions.  I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to try something new in front of the world.  And, no, I have never bought sushi to give it a try.  It doesn't appeal to me and no matter how convenient, it never will.  

I have really enjoyed the rhythmic gymnastics.  There is something very ethereal and relaxing in watching them.  Very zen.

I loveloveLOVE sushi, as in would happily eat it thrice weekly were it not for the fear of mercury poisoning. From the time I first heard of it, I knew I would like it (I love seafood of any kind). That said--it's not that easy to eat. It's not easy mastering chopsticks. And even when you're experienced, sushi has a way of slipping out of the sticks--plus there's the whole "do I put this huge roll piece into my mouth or do I try to take a bit--which will then cause the whole piece to fall apart?" Sushi's complicated. I don't mind raw food but some people don't like it. tl;dr--they're allowed to not like sushi. Maybe the Today team should've tried introducing shrimp and vegetables tempura instead :) 

18 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I was happily surprised to realize the gymnast in the Start Your Impossible commercial was Alex Moreno - she competes for Mexico so I wouldn't have expected to see her in a commercial airing in the US. McKayla Maroney is in a Geico (?) commercial and Laurie Hernandez is in a drug commercial (one she does not use). Good to know other gymnasts other than Biles is getting a chance to cash in on that endorsement money.

I LOVE that ad! I proudly told my friend (I'm turning him on to women's gymnastics) "she won a World vault medal a couple of years ago!" I just love the whole "the climb gets steeper and steeper" theme plus the music. Great ad.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

So I've been hearing that Malone is a QAnon nutter? I searched the web, couldn't find anything--what did he erase from his searchable social media accounts? What exactly did he say?

I loveloveLOVE sushi, as in would happily eat it thrice weekly were it not for the fear of mercury poisoning. From the time I first heard of it, I knew I would like it (I love seafood of any kind). That said--it's not that easy to eat. It's not easy mastering chopsticks. And even when you're experienced, sushi has a way of slipping out of the sticks--plus there's the whole "do I put this huge roll piece into my mouth or do I try to take a bit--which will then cause the whole piece to fall apart?" Sushi's complicated. I don't mind raw food but some people don't like it. tl;dr--they're allowed to not like sushi. Maybe the Today team should've tried introducing shrimp and vegetables tempura instead :) 

I LOVE that ad! I proudly told my friend (I'm turning him on to women's gymnastics) "she won a World vault medal a couple of years ago!" I just love the whole "the climb gets steeper and steeper" theme plus the music. Great ad.

Brody’s team has done a great scrub of his social media. But it’s QAnon and all that entails. He’s no better that swimming’s Michael Andrews. I find his scrub so disturbing. 

Food is such an issue with gymnasts that presenting them with anything is a bit problematic. This isn’t like the NFL when John Madden could shove a turkey leg at a player after a game and all would be well. It would be nice if everyone were exposed to a variety of foods early on, but that just doesn’t happen. Grilled skinless chicken and broccoli, no salt, no butter, is probably 70% of the meals these women eat.

So…the rhythmic final…my recording of it started to show the Italian, then skipped to Dina Averina’s scoring without showing her routine. SUCK. I’m going to have to find it elsewhere.

• Love 7

I am watching the team rhythmic gymnastics live right now on USA network.  In all my years watching olympics, I don’t think I’ve ever truly watched this sport before.  I find it fascinating and amazing.  My daughter is watching with me and she exclaimed “it’s like a circus!!!”

I’m sure they practice tons, but it’s still incredible.  So many things flying through the air at the same time, bouncing them off heads and backs and legs, and no one drops them.  3 hoops and 2 clubs... wow.

Random comments:

1) what’s up with that dramatic shoulder shrug and head nod when walking out?  They all do it.

2) what’s up with Bulgaria uniforms?  Looks like Dominatrix Spider-Woman.

3) why do they all seem to challenge their scores with an “inquiry”.  Completely slows things down, when watching this “live”.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The ROC is challenging the judging in the rhythmic finals.

Given that the ROC are technically not supposed to be at the games, I'm not sure they should contest anything.

p.s  I love sushi, but given that most gymnasts travel with their own food so that they have less of a chance of getting sick, and that they can be sure there's nothing in it that might be on the list of banned substances..

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Given that the ROC are technically not supposed to be at the games, I'm not sure they should contest anything.

Agreed.  The commentator kept saying how Russia has won 5 times in a row, and I’m like “well this one wouldn’t count even if they had won, because they aren’t supposed to be representing Russia”.

My favourite routine in this round was China.  At times it was almost like a coordinated dance, all doing the same thing and in time to the music.  Disappointed for them that they didn’t medal.  

Unlike most other routines which most of the time seems a bit chaotic.  I have no idea how the judges judge this without slow motion replay.

• Love 6

10 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

p.s  I love sushi, but given that most gymnasts travel with their own food so that they have less of a chance of getting sick, and that they can be sure there's nothing in it that might be on the list of banned substances..

I read that Usain Bolt will eat McNuggets wherever he travels because he knows exactly what he's getting in a McNugget and won't get sick after eating them.

I tolerate sushi. My husband and kids love it so I've had it a billion times (they like to choose sushi restaurants for their birthday dinners). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CeeBeeGee said:

FYI, when they mentioned his hometown in Georgia, I looked up who his Congressional representative was ...

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

You get an inquiry, YOU get an inquiry, EVERYONE GETS AN INQUIRY!!!!!

Are inquiries only unique to Rhythmic? I don't recall seeing anything in Artistic or Trampolining.

It's also so weird that the inquiry stops everything. I really felt for the teams who had to sit and wait for their scores because the inquiry took precedent.

And between you, me and the board I was kinda happy to see some apparatus stuff ups in the finals. It meant Australia wasn't the only one to suffer them in the contest.

3 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I'd be surprised if Suni never had sushi.  Yes, she's Chinese, but I'd think that her Asian parents would at some point have brought the family out to a Japanese restaurant.

Suni is not Chinese; she's Lao (of Hmong descent, to be specific).  And I don't know why her parents would be likelier to take her to a Japanese restaurant than Simone's or Jade's parents (I'll totally grant you Skinner's parents, though; Italian is probably as adventurous as they get with their food choices).

I luuuuurve sushi, but I also understand that people can be really finicky about seafood and that the best athletes in the world can be very picky (understandably) about what they put in their bodies.

It's ironic and delicious to see Russia bitching about cheating and biased judging.  The total lack of self-awareness deserves a god medal in and of itself.  You shouldn't even be here, assholes, so sit on it and spin.

• Love 19
43 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

And between you, me and the board I was kinda happy to see some apparatus stuff ups in the finals. It meant Australia wasn't the only one to suffer them in the contest.

I appreciated the mess ups because it was often the one thing I could see that would earn a deduction.  I do wish they would have highlighted some of those things that would earn a deduction on reply instead of the "nice" moves.  I can see the nice moves.  It's what will lose them points that I miss.

34 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

The total lack of self-awareness deserves a god medal in and of itself.  You shouldn't even be here, assholes, so sit on it and spin.

It's weird to see at least one member of the ROC on the silver medalist team and the ROC individual silver medalist just bawl upon getting Silver.  And not happy tears.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

It's ironic and delicious to see Russia bitching about cheating and biased judging.  The total lack of self-awareness deserves a god medal in and of itself.  You shouldn't even be here, assholes, so sit on it and spin.

DIna's (the silver medalist) behavior really left a bad taste in my mouth after seeing so much goodwill and friendship among the artistic gymnasts last week. When the final scores came in, all the other competitors rallied around Livoy (the gold medalist) with hugs and smiles, but Dina just sat there crying with her twin sister. And when Livoy went over to her, Dina's coach gave her a half-hearted congratulatory hug, but Dina didn't even look at her, let alone stand up or congratulate her. I get being disappointed, or disagreeing with the results, but it's just childish and rude to take it out on Livoy.

I didn't see it myself, but apparently Dina has already taken her bad attitude to social media and proclaimed that she got the silver because the judges were just tired of her winning so much. Girl, please. And others like Aliya Mustafina and Evgeny Plushenko (diva figure skater) have supported her "I was robbed" stance (Plushenko still thinks he deserved gold in 2010). 🙄 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's weird to see at least one member of the ROC on the silver medalist team and the ROC individual silver medalist just bawl upon getting Silver.  And not happy tears.

I am always concerned when someone cries over not getting Gold. Like I worry about what is going to happen to them after the Games are over to respond that way for being second best in the entire world.

Edited by Bill1978
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Are inquiries only unique to Rhythmic? I don't recall seeing anything in Artistic or Trampolining.

It's also so weird that the inquiry stops everything. I really felt for the teams who had to sit and wait for their scores because the inquiry took precedent.

IIRC, there was an inquiry on the beam during the Women's All Around.  Nobody could move to the next rotation until it had been finished.  Usually it's to make sure that a particular move or connection was scored correctly and you can't have an inquiry for the E score, just the D score. 

I think there was even an incident at the World Championships a few years back where the coaches requested an inquiry into a beam score and ended up with the D score being lowered rather than raised. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

1) what’s up with that dramatic shoulder shrug and head nod when walking out?  They all do it.

It's hard to describe but I think it's a way to relax. You breathe in, pull up the shoulders then drop them and breathe out. It's supposed to ease tension. It may also be a way for them to get into unison.

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

3) why do they all seem to challenge their scores with an “inquiry”.  Completely slows things down, when watching this “live”.

They do it when they think a certain technical difficulty didn't count or didn't count the way they thought it should.

I agree that it slows things down. On the other hand, a lot of inquiries were successful this time and scores changed, especially during the individual clubs routine, so it's a good thing that they're allowed to do that. 

• Love 3
On 8/7/2021 at 1:32 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

So, Jordan and Grace against everyone else? I can't see that what with Simone and Jordan being besties. I don't know anything about Grace, and she seemed very quiet, so she was really a cypher.

Jordan seemed genuinely thrilled when she was out there cheering on her teammates. If she can fake that for the cameras, maybe her calling was acting and not gymnastics. Grace is much harder to read, but she had to know she was unlikely to make event finals coming into all this given the composition of the team.

15 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I would imagine her husband posting about how Grace and Jordan shouldn’t have made the team would probably cause some tension too.

Yeah, this--not to mention MiKayla's own social media usage. She seems very close to Simone, but she's clearly not as close with the girls she was passively making comments about. Her closeness with Simone could also be a source of tension for Jordan since that's Jordan's self-described "BFF." I noticed in one of the event finals (floor?) Simone and MiKayla were sitting off on their own and Suni and Jordan (and Grace?) were sitting together a row up and much further down, with the men's team and some coaching staff between them, and noted that as an interesting seating arrangement. 

• Love 5