Type keyword(s) to search

Gymnastics

• Start Topic

Just watched the USA Mens Podium Training online.

General thoughts:

Our men look to be in good spirits, but some podium training jitters here and there.

Yul Muldauer looked best, to me.  Calm on all the events, lots of stuck landings.

Brody Malone looks outwardly confident, but maybe a bit nervous inside -- lacking in some of the Int'l experience of his compatriots.  Struggled a little on PB.  Didn't have a lot of stuck landings.

Sam Mikulak really seemed to struggle on FX with his hardest pass (ending in the double front).  But overall, he looked more solid than not.

Shane Wiskus looked pretty good; struggling a bit on Vault (he is a great vaulter who did awesome at Trials, but struggled at Nationals with that event, as well).

To my eyes, it looks like the Floor (FX) does not look as springy as the team might've hoped?  I saw lots of under-rotations on FX, so, the athletes may have to adjust to that quickly.

And Vault seemed iffy to me, as well.  Lots of under-rotations and unsure take-offs/landings.  

So there are some ironing out of the kinks that will likely occur between now and a few days with Qualifications start.

But yeah, on the whole, the team looks ecstatic to be there and ready to go.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Was I the only one who thought Mykayla was packing a whole lot of toilet paper in her luggage?  I am surprised that they have to take their own tape - are there enough brands that an athlete would have a preferred brand/type?

So if the U.S. women’s team wins a medal, as things stand now, Mykayla would not be included, correct?  She can only win for a particular apparatus.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

So if the U.S. women’s team wins a medal, as things stand now, Mykayla would not be included, correct?  She can only win for a particular apparatus.

That is correct.

• Love 3

Man, watching podium training on YouTube. Simone is so clearly superior on vault in every way to everyone. She doesn’t even look like she’s doing the same apparatus. The height! The distance. My god.

Then you read the YouTube comments and you realize how many people truly have no idea what they are a. Witnessing and b. Talking about.

3 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

That is correct.

No, she could also win an AA medal, not that’s it likely to happen. Just not a team medal.

• Love 6

I've been watching parts of the men's and women's podium training, and I have a question.  In figure skating, it seems that the judges watch practice sessions for various reasons.  Is the same true in gymnastics?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

OK, but your post makes it seem like she can ONLY medal on an individual apparatus.

I was including AA in my thoughts, but please excuse me for not making that 150% clear in my post.  If it's any consolation, she's not going to qualify for, let alone medal in, AA, so she really only CAN medal on an individual apparatus.  Of course, my hope is that she medals on nothing at all, so here's hoping.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

MyKayla's best chance of winning a medal is on vault. She's fairly consistent with the Amanar and Cheng.

Speaking of those vaults, how did Jade look in her podium training?  (I’m very fond of her and am hoping whatever her injury situation has improved so she can be close to her best on vault and FX)

• Love 1

I was wondering if we could impose on you expert gymnastics watchers to provide a brief handicap for the team finals.  I know the US women are heavily favored and the US men ... aren't.  Who are the other contenders and what other gymnasts should we watch for?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Speaking of those vaults, how did Jade look in her podium training?  (I’m very fond of her and am hoping whatever her injury situation has improved so she can be close to her best on vault and FX)

She was training her Cheng and Amanar. 

• Love 1

Another question for the PrimeTimer Gymnastics Cognoscenti: do the individual gymnasts (Jade and Skinner) compete in the qualifications in the same group as their country’s team members?  Either way this is it for them, right?  Either they qualify for the event finals here in the qualifications or they’re done?

46 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Another question for the PrimeTimer Gymnastics Cognoscenti: do the individual gymnasts (Jade and Skinner) compete in the qualifications in the same group as their country’s team members?  Either way this is it for them, right?  Either they qualify for the event finals here in the qualifications or they’re done?

Correct or the all-around. The team goes first I believe and then Skinner and Jade. They will also be wearing different leos. 

4 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I was wondering if we could impose on you expert gymnastics watchers to provide a brief handicap for the team finals.  I know the US women are heavily favored and the US men ... aren't.  Who are the other contenders and what other gymnasts should we watch for?

I second this and I add my own question: US women aside, who has a real chance of winning a gold medal or at least making it to the podium?

2 minutes ago, Raachel2008 said:

I second this and I add my own question: US women aside, who has a real chance of winning a gold medal or at least making it to the podium?

Russia will probably take team silver, China the bronze.

Not sure who's there but Nina Derwael of Belgium is very strong on bars.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Bewitched said:

I think Sanne Wevers will be back for the Dutch.  She won gold on the beam in Rio.

ohh i loved her beam routine. So classical!  

(edited)

Dalaloyan is in tears after having completed his floor routine.  The announcers can’t tell if he’s in physical pain or whether it might simply be powerful emotions after having recovered from his recent serious injury.

Anyone else watching the stream?

Edited by Harry24
2 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Dalaloyan is in tears after having completed his floor routine.  The announcers can’t tell if he’s in physical pain or whether it might simply be powerful emotions after having recovered from his recent serious injury.

Anyone else watching the stream?

He explained why the tears.

“I couldn’t quite control my emotions, I haven’t lived up to my expectations. That’s why I had a bit of an emotional breakdown. Yesterday, I volunteered to do all events, I felt the strength to do it. I was confident in my floor and vault. I never expected to show such sloppiness on floor. On my way to Tokyo, I didn’t know yet that I would do floor but I ended up doing it. Because of that, all my emotions are mixed up. I need to get to the Olympic village and evaluate this situation. I need to digest it. The most valuable things for me was that after all that I managed to get myself together and do pommel horse. I didn’t know how to go out, I had to compete first, I still had tears in my eyes during the warm-up. I did the pommel horse routine and was overcome with emotions again”.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Dalaloyan is in tears after having completed his floor routine.

That was heart-breaking to watch- he was really sobbing! I can't imagine everything he must be feeling, especially after having reconstructive surgery on his achilles tendon only three months ago (and knowing that he missed out on the Rio Olympics due to injury).

I just watched the second round of men's qualifying. So devastated for King Kohei! : (

On a high note, it was good to see Marian Dragalescu again on vault (he's 40!). Not sure if he'll make the final, but I'm glad he's there. Also nice to see Epke Zonderland on high bar, but I don't think he'll make the final either.

• Love 3

I've been trying to watch the men's event on NBC's website, but I'm struggling a bit--I have it on Team USA tracker as opposed to the general feed, but it's definitely still the general feed and we've only seen a couple of Team USA's routines. It's great coverage in general, showing lesser known gymnasts, but I actually wanted to see the American men specifically. Is anyone using Peacock? I'd like to be able to watch the women's team tomorrow and actually see them.

16 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Lineups are out here is subdivision 3

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/artistic-gymnastics/results-women-qual-000003-.htm

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I'd like to be able to watch the women's team tomorrow and actually see them.

I think every time the women perform will be on a main channel or easy to see later.  The men, not so much. 

• Love 1

The men's qualifiers are all up on nbcolympics.com, but they're not showing all of the US men.  I'm not sure where to go to watch that.

I'm not used to seeing an eagle on the USA uniforms, usually they go for the stars and stripes.  The eagle reminds me more of the German and Russian uniforms.  Seems a little sinister to me, for some reason. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

The men's qualifiers are all up on nbcolympics.com, but they're not showing all of the US men.  I'm not sure where to go to watch that.

I'm not used to seeing an eagle on the USA uniforms, usually they go for the stars and stripes.  The eagle reminds me more of the German and Russian uniforms.  Seems a little sinister to me, for some reason. 

From what I'm hearing, the men's qualifiers have been a huge splatfest, to borrow a term from Figure Skating. Evidently all the top names are already OUT, which would leave the door open for Sam Mikulak if it weren't for his history of choking at this level of competition.

What is the best way to watch the U.S. women at 2:10 a.m. tomorrow morning Eastern time?

I tuned in for some of the men's competition this morning on the NBC feed and was surprised that they skipped a lot of the U.S. gymnasts' routines. I like seeing other countries' athletes and that's why I tuned into the feed rather than watching the NBC American-centric highlights tonight in primetime, but I was surprised that they actually showed so few of the U.S. men. 

Wondering if it is worth it to get up in the middle of the night to see the U.S. women?

40 minutes ago, huggybear said:

Wondering if it is worth it to get up in the middle of the night to see the U.S. women?

I'm fairly sure they'll show a tonne of the US women, but they'd also more than likely be shown on primetime too, so i think it's just more of if you think you can get up/stay up vs. avoiding spoilers. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

From what I'm hearing, the men's qualifiers have been a huge splatfest, to borrow a term from Figure Skating. Evidently all the top names are already OUT, which would leave the door open for Sam Mikulak if it weren't for his history of choking at this level of competition.

Kohei was only competing in high bar but that was heartbreaking to watch.

I do hope Sam can medal since it's likely his last run.  There seems to be a little less pressure on him this round so hopefully that helps the same way it benifitted Danell Leyva in 2016.

I stayed up until 11pm (Australian time and that's late for me) to see if our lone male representative qualified for the Horizontal Bar (after watching him crack the Top 8 during Rotation 2) and he did. Which makes him, I believe, the first male Aussie to qualify for an apparatus final in a very long time. I gave up going back once I hit 1980. Pretty sure out broadcaster won't notice that since the swimming has started. His only chance of being truly noted is if he gets medal.

• Love 4