Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/12/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Someone please stop Megan's lectures.  She is so full of hot air.  She’s mentioned the younger brother deployed at 17. Why I ask? Was he drafted ?  ( sarcasm) 

Love Joy’s observation on British programming. I’ve probably been watching as many years as she has and noticed the same thing. I had an English friend years ago whose husband was here for work and remained here .  She said in their newspapers no mention of color is mentioned in reference to someone.  She was shocked American papers did. This was 25 years ago.
British television also also included film stars something that American film stars would consider career ending. 

One thing I like about the british acting community is that they cross over a lot...doing TV, movies and stage.  They aren’t compartmentalized in the same way as US actors are.  And they don’t see things as beneath them to do.  I think most of their female actors are allowed to age more gracefully as well.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, GladysCravits said:

Maybe she can ask Chelsea if she ever heard the joke the sainted John McCain told about her. 

I had to go look that up as I’d forgotten and WOW!  I do remember it now and why that didn’t torpedo his career is a big question.  (Hope this isn’t too off topic to reply) 

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

know nothing about the show Luther so I cannot comment but I think that Sunny got what that diversity lady was saying.  Diversity means nothing if the person is that is being presented is not an authentic person in his or her fullness.  

I think that unfortunately, once again,Whoopi did not understand what the woman was talking about.  Actually, her use of” Friends “ as an example is a perfect one.  If you took the written scripts and had an African American cast I don’t think it would be a good depiction of AA friendships. And if you took the scripts of “Living Single” with a Caucasian cast ...so on and so on..... It doesn’t mean that that the actors are not black enough. Totally lost the point.

And I agree with Joy, I watch a lot of British television also and do see a degree of inclusion that is comforting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I was a huge Whitney fan growing up.   I don't recall Black America ever feeling she wasn't black enough.  She was played on Black radio, her videos played non stop on BET, and she was on the cover of every Black focused magazines, etc.   

I must've missed the context of the Idris Elba discussion, because it sounded like the same criticism of Houston years ago. My apologies.

Not to go too off-topic, but read Robyn Crawford's book on WH (aside from being her girlfriend, she was her manager at the beginning of her career - until she married Bobby Brown).

Edited by LetsStartTalking
21 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

They apparently have a good marriage for 20 years...something not always seen with Hollywood couples. I assume that’s why the panel “gushed” so why would any interviewer bring  that up? I thought it was a nice interview.  

Well, his first marriage lasted 18 years, legally for 23 years.  His wife was 19 years old and a White House Intern when they met. He was 12 years older. 

6 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Meganutz keeps reminding us how she's pro-military and comes from a staunch military family. Has anyone else noticed of all the friends and family members she refers to, not one is female ? Can it be no women in her very large military family ever joined the military ?

IKR. I find it so strange that Meghan is military obsessed with zero service of her own. 

Bless Sunny's heart. Love her and she's so smart, but she's not the best speaker. Did she always have a stammer?

Meg is so concerned about the women and children of Afghanistan but has little sympathy for Central American women and children immigrants at the border. 

I don't even buy she has genuine concern for the people of Afghanistan. Meghan is the type to cheerlead every war no matter how unnecessary if someone in her family was for it or fought in it. She romanticizes patriotism, her party and the military to the point she doesn't think logically. Meghan thinks we're always the good guys by default and other countries want US policing. They don't.  

I had to go look that up as I’d forgotten and WOW!  I do remember it now and why that didn’t torpedo his career is a big question.  (Hope this isn’t too off topic to reply) 

Rush Limbaugh also called Chelsea the White House dog. She was 12. I will never understand how people like men who are so mean about innocent little kids. Says a lot about a person. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

I don't know why they discussed the Dear Prudie letter at all.  One, it's a stupid topic and two, the letter is old.  It's from 2016 and Slate just recently ran it again because on Sundays they (lazily) just reuse letters from their archives.  Surely there was something more interesting they could have discussed than a five year old letter from a lady with low self-esteem.

I don't why they discuss these types of things.  Whoopi doesn't care , Meghan clearly thinks it's beneath her  and her talents are better used to brag about her political career and all her deployments.  Joy seems bored on these subjects much like whoopi. Sunny and Sara are fine  but  it's just boring when nobody wants to talk about a silly story (old).

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Bless Sunny's heart. Love her and she's so smart, but she's not the best speaker. Did she always a stammer?

I do not recall her using the 'um' as much before and she is stammering a lot. I was concerned watching her this morning.. It could be with all the loss and trauma from the pandemic, she is struggling. I know I am.

• Love 4
Just now, GiveMeSpace said:

I do not recall her using the 'um' as much before and she is stammering a lot. I was concerned watching her this morning.. It could be with all the loss and trauma from the pandemic, she is struggling. I know I am.

I'm concerned too and wondered the same. Sunny used to speak more eloquently. I hope she is doing okay. I'm sorry you are struggling too and hope life gets better for you. *hug*

• Love 8
1 minute ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I think you're right. This past year has been so hard. I have struggling as well.  So many are and it does manifest in many ways. 

• Love 6

Posting this article because it actually quotes most of what MeAgain said about withdrawing troops. https://decider.com/2021/04/15/meghan-mccain-skeptical-of-afghanistan-withdrawal/

From the article:

Meghan McCain is relying on her family’s lengthy military history to weigh in on yesterday’s announcement that President Biden would bring troops home from Afghanistan. On today’s episode of The View, the conservative co-host, who explained that “the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been omnipresent in me and my family’s lives,” gave her own take on the withdrawal news during this morning’s Hot Topics.

The Simpsons Effects GIF

“There are great Afghan soldiers that have been doing really, really hard, arduous, and lethal work over the past 20 years and I hate the idea that we are just going to abandon them with no plan,” she said.

Maybe she could shorten her diatribes if she used fewer words that mean the same thing. And what exactly is lethal work? She probably meant deadly or dangerous, but lethal makes them sound like murderers.

• Love 10

Sunny doesn't look good when they have her in high-necked tops...it looks like her head is resting on her shoulders and like she has no neck.

Sara today in that ugly coloured shirt, or whatever it was, with the severely braided hair looked like she was in the military of some fascist country.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I just can’t with Twatty anymore. She can’t, no, she now refuses to give President Biden the respect he deserves. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

She’s throwing his name around without any respect, calling him Biden, instead of PRESIDENT BIDEN. The hateful TWAT. Like she gave any fucks about Afghani women or it’s military members before today.

• Love 16

Chelsea Clinton blew Meghan's "the Democrats need to convince Republicans to get vaccinated" argument out of the water today saying that the person who has the most influence with Republican men to get vaccinated is Trump. I wonder if Meghan will find a different attack now or she'll just shut her ears.

I have a lot of respect for Sunny in her areas of expertise but maybe don't tell a TV show that you've never watched how to fix itself. The life of a Black Brit is not the same as the life of an African American, just as curry is the #1 takeaway food in Britain.

I've watched Luthor (too violent for me) and from what the Diversity  Officer said from the report, she had a point that he should have at least one Black friend (every show should) but I think that it's ridiculous that he has to prove the stereotype of his Blackness by eating Jamaican food.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I just can’t with Twatty anymore. She can’t, no, she now refuses to give President Biden the respect he deserves. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

She’s throwing his name around without any respect, calling him Biden, instead of PRESIDENT BIDEN. The hateful TWAT. Like she gave any fucks about Afghani women or it’s military members before today.

I don't understand how anyone in the news continues to refer to any President by their last name only.  This disrespect for the Office of President started with President Obama, as that is the first time I can recall, at least in my lifetime, news media outlets referring to him at just "Obama".  I could be wrong though.

Not to defend Meghan, but she often referred to President Trump as "Trump", as well (not that he actually deserved the respect the Office of President should have).  

Unfortunately, I think it is just a sign of the times we are living in, where people just don't extend common courtesy or respect to anyone anymore.  

1 hour ago, jalady said:

^^^^
Thank you!  I noticed the same thing.  “Uncle Joe” is now “Biden”.  What a petty, childish, idiot. 😡

Uncle Joe was only called "Uncle Joe" when he came on The View and pandered to her grief about her father, and continued that way until he became a threat to Meghan's tribe, by becoming President.  

You would think, though, that because he was such a "close, personal friend", she would show him the respect he deserves as a friend of her father's, even if she doesn't agree with his policies.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I am watching the show right now and you are so right. She looks like a creepy painting in a Gothic tale and she cannot stop doing it. I suspect she is watching herself on a moniter because like Narcissus, she is obsessed with her own image.

She always did that when they were in studio as well.  Once I noticed it, it was all I could see!  I was convinced she was checking herself out.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, 2JEWELL said:

She always did that when they were in studio as well.  Once I noticed it, it was all I could see!  I was convinced she was checking herself out.  

A few ideas I have as to reasons why Meghan is always looking off the side:

1. Meghan is not comfortable in front of the camera or with the way she looks on camera, and is constantly checking herself out for her appearance.
  2. Ben is constantly standing just off-camera, to the left of her, holding up cue cards with talking points that he wants her to make. 
  3. She is just so enamored with herself and how she looks on camera, she just can't stop looking at herself!  
  4. Or, a combination of any or all of the above!   
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

A few ideas I have as to reasons why Meghan is always looking off the side:

1. Meghan is not comfortable in front of the camera or with the way she looks on camera, and is constantly checking herself out for her appearance.
  2. Ben is constantly standing just off-camera, to the left of her, holding up cue cards with talking points that he wants her to make. 
  3. She is just so enamored with herself and how she looks on camera, she just can't stop looking at herself!  
  4. Or, a combination of any or all of the above!   

My guess is #2.  I'm not sure she's capable of an original thought.

Edited by Axie
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, huggybear said:

How long ago was this Colton guy on The Bachelor? Things are way, way, way different than they were in 2003-2008ish when Clay was desperately trying to stay closeted. 

That fool was the bachelor in 2019 (when he would have been 26/27 years old). 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

You would think, though, that because he was such a "close, personal friend", she would show him the respect he deserves as a friend of her father's, even if she doesn't agree with his policies.

This, to me, is the weirdest thing about MeAgain, and also the most damning. She cried with him on the View. And now she lambastes him.  She is fucked up.

• Love 16

Are we back?  I missed the first 20 mins because of a press conference about the mass shooting here. Unless the panel discussed it before I tuned in I’m guessing today’s show was pretaped. I didn’t care about the JLo breakup or royal family drama, but I always love seeing YNB. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Are we back?  I missed the first 20 mins because of a press conference about the mass shooting here. Unless the panel discussed it before I tuned in I’m guessing today’s show was pretaped. I didn’t care about the JLo breakup or royal family drama, but I always love seeing YNB. 

Yes, we're back and it's going to be a nightmare trying to navigate this site now. It looks like we lost the show customization page.

Twatty can just kiss my ASS with her not answering the question Joy put forth, and instead repeated the same diatribe about Newsom allowing a Hollywood set to remain open to provide food, but that one woman was forced to shut down--which was, 6? 7? months ago?

They were talking about how that racist Jordan was fighting with Dr. Fauci, and demanding when "liberty" would be "restored" and Fauci was telling him it was about science, not taking anyone's liberty. Clyburn and Waters defended Fauci, which set off Twatty.

So glad that Joy responded with, yeah, well, that wasn't the question. She asked what Twatty thought about Jordan attacking Fauci, but it was Sunny's turn, so Twatty didn't get a chance to vilify him again.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Joy mentioned the shooting but they didn't discuss it. The first segment they talked about Jim Jordan vs Dr. Fauci. 

On 4/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, LetsStartTalking said:

Rosie O'Donnell outed him (intentionally or not) on 'The View' 

It was not intentional.

I'm late to the conversation, but I just wanted to respond to this.  Rosie and Clay were friends before she outed him and still are.  Her outing him was not done purposely, according to both Clay and Rosie.  (It was a highly emotional moment on The View and she said , "If that had been a straight man,.....," with the implication of course being he wasn't straight.)  It was simply a slip-up.  Clay said she apologized to him afterwards and the slip-up did not affect their friendship one iota.  By the way, according to Clay in many later interviews, he was already out to his friends, co-workers, and most of his family since around 2004.  He just hadn't announced it to the public.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/meghan-mccain-decries-fauci-jordan-clyburn-waters-house-hearing-battle-royale-e2-80-98all-of-them-looked-bad-e2-80-99/ar-BB1fJbsI?ocid=BingNewsSearch

She said:

“All of them looked bad. It’s beneath Congress and, you know, the issues about liberty and freedom – I think it’s easy to just say, ‘oh, Republicans are being contrarian, and they don’t want liberty,’” McCain said.

Followed moments later with:

“Republicans are contrarian. They’re skeptical of big government. That is who we are. It’s in my DNA and makeup to question authority and question government,” McCain said. “We think big government is bad. We don’t think that bending the knee to big government is the answer to everything. That’s a difference between Democrats and Republicans.”

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, bannana said:

. It’s in my DNA and makeup to question authority and question government,” McCain said. “We think big government is bad. We don’t think that bending the knee to big government is the answer to everything. That’s a difference between Democrats and Republicans.”

Tell that to my uterus, Meg. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes, we're back and it's going to be a nightmare trying to navigate this site now. It looks like we lost the show customization page.

Twatty can just kiss my ASS with her not answering the question Joy put forth, and instead repeated the same diatribe about Newsom allowing a Hollywood set to remain open to provide food, but that one woman was forced to shut down--which was, 6? 7? months ago?

They were talking about how that racist Jordan was fighting with Dr. Fauci, and demanding when "liberty" would be "restored" and Fauci was telling him it was about science, not taking anyone's liberty. Clyburn and Waters defended Fauci, which set off Twatty.

So glad that Joy responded with, yeah, well, that wasn't the question. She asked what Twatty thought about Jordan attacking Fauci, but it was Sunny's turn, so Twatty didn't get a chance to vilify him again.

Meghan is stupid and this is a false comparison.  AGAIN!  A set is closed, they are tested daily, etc.  A restaurant has whoever comes in the door.  Now one could say the local restaurants should have been hired for catering sets if they are that close.  But that isn't what she is bitching about.  Why this point is never made bugs me.

I do not understgand Meghan's hard on for Fauci.  He is certainly smarter than Gym or anyone in Meghan's circle.  As for the science Missy, it enabled your mom to be in the same room as your daughter.  

Edited by Natalie68
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

I also liked when MeAgain wanted to talk some more but Joy said no, it is Sunny's turn to talk.

I was shocked that she didn't respond in her typical rude or bratty way. Is Megun's job really in jeopardy causing her to straighten up? Did she get punished and that's why she's acting better? Finally got the medication right? I wanna know what's causing the change in behavior.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

My mom happened to walk into my room while I had it on right as the topic moved to the royal family and Meg started yammering about the founding fathers.

I kid you not, Mom and I said at the same time: “Oh God, here we go...”

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, bannana said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/meghan-mccain-decries-fauci-jordan-clyburn-waters-house-hearing-battle-royale-e2-80-98all-of-them-looked-bad-e2-80-99/ar-BB1fJbsI?ocid=BingNewsSearch

She said:

“All of them looked bad. It’s beneath Congress and, you know, the issues about liberty and freedom – I think it’s easy to just say, ‘oh, Republicans are being contrarian, and they don’t want liberty,’” McCain said.

Followed moments later with:

“Republicans are contrarian. They’re skeptical of big government. That is who we are. It’s in my DNA and makeup to question authority and question government,” McCain said. “We think big government is bad. We don’t think that bending the knee to big government is the answer to everything. That’s a difference between Democrats and Republicans.”

Only Meghan McCain would think it's a good idea to vote for government officials who think governments are useless. As opposed to those who think that government can serve the public--imagine your tax dollars going to things that benefit you and your family*. Horrors!

Meghan also has a tendency to "cancel" entire worldviews because of one extremely specific instance that annoys her. We can't try to save the planet because celebrities have private planes. We can't fight the pandemic because Gavin Newsom let film crews work but not small businesses. We can't have feminism because no one gave her an engraved invitation to the Women's March.

*I'm very much aware of the Democratic Party's weaknesses. The difference is that that they're not trying to use bizarro logic to demand that they get their way.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 21

Thursday's show was so good with Chelsea Clinton on as a guest. She really 'grew up' before our eyes (those who remember her as a 'tween' in the WH) into a beautiful, educated, polite, professional woman...unlike someone else on the show. 

How I wish they added her to the show instead of Sara Haines last year. I would love to see Chelsea and Meganutz go at it in HT.  And every now and then we could hear Chelsea reminisce about her living in the WH for 8 years, and turn to Meganutz and say, "Too bad you never had that experience." 😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Thursday's show was so good with Chelsea Clinton on as a guest. She really 'grew up' before our eyes (those who remember her as a 'tween' in the WH) into a beautiful, educated, polite, professional woman...unlike someone else on the show. 

How I wish they added her to the show instead of Sara Haines last year. I would love to see Chelsea and Meganutz go at it in HT.  And every now and then we could hear Chelsea reminisce about her living in the WH for 8 years, and turn to Meganutz and say, "Too bad you never had that experience." 😄

Oh i can see it now.  Chelsea's dressing room would be decorated with hundreds of family photos in the WH.  Little Chelsea playing in the halls.  Little Chelsea running with the dog.  Chelsea getting a lil older.  Chelsea inconspicuously listening in on Dad's meeting for school.  Prom, School, Marriage, KidS

3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Meghan is stupid and this is a false comparison.  AGAIN!  A set is closed, they are tested daily, etc.  A restaurant has whoever comes in the door.  Now one could say the local restaurants should have been hired for catering sets if they are that close.  But that isn't what she is bitching about.  Why this point is never made bugs me.

I do not understgand Meghan's hard on for Fauci.  He is certainly smarter than Gym or anyone in Meghan's circle.  As for the science Missy, it enabled your mom to be in the same room as your daughter.  

I better not post what i was going to.  Not sure if legal, sorry n/m

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My mom happened to walk into my room while I had it on right as the topic moved to the royal family and Meg started yammering about the founding fathers.

I kid you not, Mom and I said at the same time: “Oh God, here we go...”

That was another idiotic moment where she said she she loved 1776,  was done with the Brits, oh, except Princess Meghan because we all love her. WTAF?

That entire discussion about the Royal family was absurd. They are dysfunctional and horrible people. We don't need to feel bad that Charles will never be King. He is an asshole. Philip was a horrible human being. 

• Love 3

When Ana said Nepotism Barbie did anyone else think she was getting ready to call out Meghan?

If Meghan and her tribe hate big government so much perhaps they should leave the running of it to people who want it to function the way it is supposed to.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
On 4/15/2021 at 5:36 PM, njbchlover said:

I don't understand how anyone in the news continues to refer to any President by their last name only.

For abbreviation? Observing the AP Style Guide?

According to AP Style, use the first and family name on the first reference to a current or former U.S. president or the president-elect.

former President Ronald Reagan

President Barack Obama

President-elect Barack Obama

On all subsequent references, use only last names.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, jalady said:

^^^^
Thank you!  I noticed the same thing.  “Uncle Joe” is now “Biden”.  What a petty, childish, idiot. 😡

She's also referred to Vice President Kamala Harris as "Kamala" several times. The nerve. Maybe soon "Biden" will just become "Joe".

10 hours ago, bannana said:

That was another idiotic moment where she said she she loved 1776,  was done with the Brits, oh, except Princess Meghan because we all love her. WTAF?

That entire discussion about the Royal family was absurd. They are dysfunctional and horrible people. We don't need to feel bad that Charles will never be King. He is an asshole. Philip was a horrible human being. 

My sister and i would get into discussions about if we were born in another era and mine was always the Revolutionary War era.  I've just always loved it.  I blame John Jakes hah.  But whenever MM makes stmts like those, i don't know, i cringe? Get mad? I don't know, its weird.  Maybe she can be on one side of Boston, and i could be on the other lol.  Or she can have Philly. Sorry to the PA Peeps heehe

• LOL 1

I watched Friday, but this site was down for me at the time

McCain talks like being skeptical of authority is a conservative-specific thing, and I don’t think that’s true according to basic definitions, tbh. Even if it was, I’m pretty sure being skeptical of authority is baked into liberalism, too.... The discussions about police brutality all week pretty much highlight the fact that liberals don’t simply accept what is said by suspect authority figures. Besides, as Joy pointed out, Fauci is not a politician, so supposedly being against big government (I say supposedly since she picks and chooses when that’s true—she seems for big government when it comes to restricting women’s rights, for example) doesn’t work as an excuse for attacking him anyway? She’s attacking an unbiased figure because the science or facts he cites might support an opposing political viewpoint; in other words, when you can’t win on the facts, you denigrate and cast doubt on the messenger.

I'd love if Chelsea Clinton was on this show, too. I have a feeling McCain was scared to death when a Clinton showed up on the guest list after her little to-do on Twitter a week or two back.... She was smart to tiptoe around Chelsea. Power egomaniacs like McCain always know exactly who does and doesn't have power, and who they can treat like trash without consequences and who not to f*** with... One of the few times she's ever apologized was when she said she hated Chelsea's mother. She walked that back real fast, heh.

But being more serious, I think Chelsea actually would've worked as a co-host while the show is / was remote. I don't think she'd be that interesting in-studio when things are happening on the fly. I mean, I still wouldn't mind her, but it would probably be like Rosie Perez. I personally liked Perez even though she was a little stiff, although that was always an UO of mine.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, bannana said:

The Royal family has caused misery for the whole world literally for centuries, it is not an exaggeration, it is a bitter truth.  

• Love 3