Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E16: Daniel Kaluuya / St. Vincent

• Start Topic

(edited)
19 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

At only 48, I am officially in "get off my lawn!" territory as, more often than not, I have no idea who the bulk of these musical acts SNL books these days are.  😛

St. Vincent was on the show in 2014 as well, although that doesn't really mean a lot, admittedly. It did lead to some amusing "Andy's changed!" jokes because Aidy appeared in both promos:

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, DAMN, SNL. That was a STRONG Cold Open. Spot on. 

Chris Redd is FIT. 

Daniel's monologue is funny. Loving his energy. 

This covid vaccine skit...Hahahahaha! I swear I know each of those folk and have heard ALL those excuses for not taking the vaccine. It's great that SNL has enough Black cast members to be able to do this skit. 

Edited by rollacoaster
Additional thoughts as I watch
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11

Daniel’s monologue was amazing.

However I think the vlog videos and apologies may go over people’s head if they don’t know who David Dobrik is. And if you don’t, google his name. It’s a mess.

• Love 7
(edited)

Why am I scream laughing at Kenan as Uncle Derek who won't take the vaccine.  😁😁

Daniel is doing so well at leading this sketch!

Uncle Derek:  It ain't worth it. 

I'M CRYING

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

This covid vaccine skit...Hahahahaha! I swear I know each of those folk and have heard ALL those excuses for not taking the vaccine. It's great that SNL has enough Black cast members to be able to do this skit. 

Absolutely!

• Love 8

So far the show has been fantastic tonight. Knock wood. 

The writing is actually improved.

"If there's one thing we've learned during the pandemic, it's that the world needs more poets."

Ouch.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

The camerawork for that poet/doctor sketch was all messed up!   Did anyone find it odd that the styling and the colours seemed very 70s, vintagey?  But it obviously took place today because they spoke about COVID.

The Rummikub sketch reminded me of so many get togethers I had before this pandemic. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Rummikub sketch reminded me of so many get togethers I had before this pandemic. 

It reminded me of a couple of very passive-aggressive relatives I'm probably going to have to deal with tomorrow. 

I got the impression somebody told Colin that he looked like Matt Gaetz this week, and he was not thrilled. 😛

• LOL 8
  • Love 4

Was the couple that Heidi and Mikey played based on a real couple?  Can I look up this story?  The sketch was really painful though.  After awhile it just went on too long and I started to feel embarrassed.

I really enjoyed Colin laying into Gaetz and pointing out that Gaetz looks like Colin drawn by a caricaturist.  

• Love 9

Cold Open: Britney sketch! And a good way to get all of the...problematic stories of the week out of the way at once. We got Britney, Georgia, Matt Gaetz, and even Chris Redd as Lil Nas X. Yep, dying at him lap dancing God (well, it was someone playing God). I did NOT expect Kate to show up as Pepe le Pew, and he looked good next to Matt Gaetz. I was hoping they'd call out that the droogs from A Clockwork Orange show up in the movie.

(seriously, they're in it. Watch the trailer, they show up around the 1:40 mark, you can't miss them)

Monologue: Daniel Kaluuya is already killing. "British racism was so bad white people left." Line of the night already. And thanks for making me feel old for telling me you got your start in acting by being in a play based on Kenan & Kel.

Will You Take It?: A game show about a doctor trying to convince his family to take the covid vaccine. Yes. I have a few family members that were REALLY hesitant to taking it. The ones that won't sound just like the family here. This was great.

Prank Posse: A sketch about the shrimp tails in the cereal, but in a Good Neighbor lens! Complete with Kyle getting canceled. Several times. This was so great. I'm out of touch, apparently the many apologies were based on David Dobrick.

2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Daniel’s monologue was amazing.

However I think the vlog videos and apologies may go over people’s head if they don’t know who David Dobrik is. And if you don’t, google his name. It’s a mess.

Asshole white boy youtubers that are constantly apologizing are a dime a dozen, I wasn't lost.

Rummikub: Could not stop laughing at Kate's passive-agressiveness. Kate just slamming those plates in the dishwasher resonated hard for me.

David: Oh boy, parents disappointed in your college life choices. Been there. I thought this was great, even if the camera work was a lot to be desired. "OH NO WE ARE BLEEDING." "Is there a poet in the house?!" made for a great capper.

WU: Matt Gaetz DOES look like a MAD magazine caricature of Colin Jost, and OF COURSE Colin had to let the guy have it. And it was good. I hate that "President Kool-Aid Man" is such a great nickname for...him.

Loved seeing the Meat Ladies again. It was like Whiskers R We but for animals that deserved to be killed. For some reason Kate couldn't keep it together. Saying stuff like "This here veal yanks off on the subway" would do it, though. Also loved seeing the return of Guy Who Just Bought A Boat, too. His joke-per-minute ratio was insane, and he didn't mess up once. That's talent right there. The bit with Heidi as the old lady that married Mikey Day was funny, but she looked and acted so much like my own Grandma that I lost last year, it honestly made me a bit uncomfortable. Also, how do you do all those Matt Gaetz jokes and end on THAT?

Frat: Well, this took a pleasant turn. Everyone was oddly fixated on their moms coming on their trip. I should've known this was gonna be weird when they were all EXCITED to be vaccinated. (source: in one, too many vax skeptics for my taste) Aside from that, planning the trip was completely accurate.

Dog Park: Yes, every animal has a voice, and HOW DARE YOU use the wrong one. It really hits close to home. Andrew actually got to carry this sketch, and was pretty good with it!

Lars: Thanks cameramen, for spoiling the reveal of the Upright Bass. This was pretty silly despite that.

Where was THIS audience during the Rege-Jean Page episode?! This was perfect energy, they loved everything!

• Love 13
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Lars: Thanks cameramen, for spoiling the reveal of the Upright Bass. This was pretty silly despite that.

This has got to be a Kim Cattrall reference.

I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Daniel Kaluuya now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Will You Take It?: A game show about a doctor trying to convince his family to take the covid vaccine. Yes. I have a few family members that were REALLY hesitant to taking it. The ones that won't sound just like the family here. This was great.

This might just be THE SKETCH of the season. At the very least it's close to it.

13 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Dog Park: Yes, every animal has a voice, and HOW DARE YOU use the wrong one. It really hits close to home. Andrew actually got to carry this sketch, and was pretty good with it!

I kinda loved it when Andrew went "Na na na..." shaking his head.  Young guys are stupid like that.

I like Andrew in sketches, but man I feel for Punkie who's getting stuck in those older mom/Aunt roles. Hope she knocks something out of the park soon.  Hang in there Lauren.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Loved seeing the Meat Ladies again. It was like Whiskers R We but for animals that deserved to be killed. For some reason Kate couldn't keep it together. Saying stuff like "This here veal yanks off on the subway" would do it, though. Also loved seeing the return of Guy Who Just Bought A Boat, too.

It’s funny because Meat Ladies and Boat Guy are not concepts/ characters that I have loved in the past, but I really enjoyed both of them tonight.  Don’t feel bad about eating the eggs because the hen created a toxic work environment?  Lol.  And Moffat was really firing off those jokes.  Pretty great Update overall, except maybe the Heidi/ Mikey couple, which I didn’t find that funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I really wish the show hadn't just repeated the lie that the Tuskegee Syphilis Study involved African-Americans being injected with syphilis. (Ego said something about it, and Kaluuya's voice-of-reason character said she was right.)

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study was vile, with African-Americans being promised free health care for syphilis and not getting it, as well as other unethical abuses of power.

But the myth that people were actually injected with syphilis as part of the study has a lot to do with people distrusting vaccines and injections, and I wish SNL hadn't suggested that was true.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Loved seeing the Meat Ladies again. It was like Whiskers R We but for animals that deserved to be killed. For some reason Kate couldn't keep it together.

I think when they did the bit before I remember them saying that the same meat stays out all day through all the rehearsals and everything, so by showtime it's REALLY smelly. I got that impression tonight as well from Kate saying with extra zest that her eyes were watering too.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I think when they did the bit before I remember them saying that the same meat stays out all day through all the rehearsals and everything, so by showtime it's REALLY smelly. I got that tonight too from Kate saying with extra zest that her eyes were watering too.

Yeah, pretty sure it happened again, but they didn't really draw attention to it this time.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, vb68 said:

I would have sworn St. Vincent was a group. LOL

I Thought ST. Vincent Was A Man !

2 hours ago, vb68 said:

I would have sworn St. Vincent was a group. LOL

• Love 2

Best show of the season, even with some dud sketches. The family vaccine sketch was hilarious. As were the repeated jabs at Matt Gaetz in the sketch and Update. And this episode had some of the best lines SNL has had in a long time, IMO.

If you want more Daniel Kaluuya wonderfulness, watch the movie "Judas and the Black Messiah." He's incredible. The whole movie is excellent. 

The Rubikkub sketch went on way too long and wasn't particularly funny to start with. 

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

This might just be THE SKETCH of the season. 

Totally agree.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

This covid vaccine skit...Hahahahaha! I swear I know each of those folk and have heard ALL those excuses for not taking the vaccine.

My niece literally told me this week she’s waiting to make sure there’s not an I Am Legend situation—side effects that show up later. 

I’m guessing Salt Bae was a cut for time? It was definitely good enough to have been in the show!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Daniel was great. Any time he got to play a wacky character he seemed to come alive. I wish he'd had a few less straight man roles. His monologue was so true to his own voice and I could appreciate that. 

I wish they had not brought back the Britney show. It didn't have as many cringe moments as the first one did for me, but it also wasn't that funny and I winced at some of Chloe's line stumbles and Pete going into the "live from New York" too early. But most cold opens don't quite work, nothing new there.

A while back, Matt Gaetz made a dig at Colin on Twitter (after Update made a dig at him). It went around. I'm not sure if Colin ever saw it, but he approached that takedown with such polish (the best thing he's done in a while), I have to wonder. Anyway, I enjoyed Update - I will always take more Mikey and Heidi character pieces.

I was torn about the vaccine sketch. Black people have been given heavy media focus for not taking the vaccine, compared to treatment of other racial groups. SNL joining in felt like overkill. But this was by black writers, and while Daniel didn't entirely work for me, the cast got some funny moments (and the ending actually worked). 

My favorite sketch was with Ego and Daniel as the overbearing, unhappy parents. So many funny lines, and great performances from both of them. I liked a lot of the dog park sketch (I wish the ending had been better) and was glad to see Andrew Dismukes do well with his first big sketch part. The frat and moms sketch was just more of Mikey reacting, but Daniel and Bowen Yang made it more fun. 

Kyle was at his best with the David Dobrik piece. As shown last week, SNL's attempts to seem "down with the kids" are often cringeworthy, but this felt just right tonally, and managed to tell a story without treating viewers like fools. 

The direction last night was about the worst I've seen on SNL. I'm not sure what happened. It hasn't been good in a number of years (which is why you so often see poor blocking and actors blatantly reading cue cards [this used to be better hidden]), but that last sketch in particular was shocking. A number of the sketches on Youtube are the dress rehearsal versions, it seems. 

Speaking of that last sketch, apparently it was based on this viral video. I'm glad they were having fun writing it as it didn't really do much for me watching it...

Much as I enjoy Cecily, I'm not getting a great deal out of her main sketches this season, and I am hoping she, Kate and Aidy are leaving. The material heavily featuring the three of them weakened the episode as a whole for me and I don't think they quite fit in with what the cast is becoming. 

This was the other cut sketch. It's just a variation of the Sara Lee sketch with Harry Styles last season. It's fine, and I would have put it in over that last  sketch, but not that memorable.

42 minutes ago, ahisma said:

My niece literally told me this week she’s waiting to make sure there’s not an I Am Legend situation—side effects that show up later. 

I’m guessing Salt Bae was a cut for time? It was definitely good enough to have been in the show!

Beck was great in that sketch - he was born to play Salt Bae. That also had good work from the rest of the cast, especially Mikey's fanboying.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

It’s funny because Meat Ladies and Boat Guy are not concepts/ characters that I have loved in the past, but I really enjoyed both of them tonight.  Don’t feel bad about eating the eggs because the hen created a toxic work environment?  Lol.  And Moffat was really firing off those jokes.  Pretty great Update overall, except maybe the Heidi/ Mikey couple, which I didn’t find that funny.

I've never been fond of the Guy Who Just Bought A Boat, but the long absences along with ramping up the gross puns and wordplay helped. More nonsense babbling about things like "spread" and less repetition about his small penis. Alex also seemed to really be into it - I guess due to the absence. 

• Love 4

not a particularly spectacular show IMO, but a really solid one with no outright stinkers. DK brought it, would love to see him become a regular visitor. St. Vincent really brought the whole 70's look with her.

• Love 3

What is with the camera work?? Why can’t they get it figured out?

I thought this episode was okay, there was energy but still so many hesitations and moments that just hung there. WU was hilarious. Alex Moffat is so good at what he does, I realized I do t think I’ve ever seen him break.

St. Vincent was really throwing some Shelley Long/Shelley Duvall vibes. It was weird and I don’t know what she was singing about but I kind of liked it.

• Love 5

Daniel wasn't kidding about Kenan's influence on him. He "stole" the Will You Take It and Poet David roles from him and Ke got to play strong supporting parts.

Can someone explain to me what type of British accent Daniel has? I can't say I've ever heard anything like it.

I know that he was born in the UK to Ugandan parents. He doesn't sound at all Ugandan to me, but he also doesn't sound like any other British person I've encountered.

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Can someone explain to me what type of British accent Daniel has? I can't say I've ever heard anything like it.

I know that he was born in the UK to Ugandan parents. He doesn't sound at all Ugandan to me, but he also doesn't sound like any other British person I've encountered.

Hes from London. His accent sounds a little Cockney with the dropped Hs. I haven't met that many British people but I have seen a lot of British TV and I've heard that accent before.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I haven't met that many British people but I have seen a lot of British TV and I've heard that accent before.

Yeah.  He doesn't "posh it up" like a lot of theater trained actors from the UK tend to do.

I don't know if this was the best episode of the season but it was solid and WU was on fire.  That probably was the best Weekend Update of the season.  I didn't even fast forward through the guest bits which I normally don't find all that funny. 

My favorite joke was probably "She was 17.  Q is the 17th letter of the alphabet."  Don't you see how it all comes together? 

It's too bad they cut the Salt BAE sketch.  They probably thought there was too many meat jokes between Salt BAE and the WU ladies but both worked. 

• Love 5
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah.  He doesn't "posh it up" like a lot of theater trained actors from the UK tend to do.

I think it was James McAvoy or someone who said drama schools in the UK have gotten so expensive now its mostly upper class students who can afford it as this Tracy Ullman sketch makes fun of:

Just now, VCRTracking said:

I think it was James McAvoy or someone who said drama schools in the UK have gotten so expensive now its mostly upper class students who can afford it as thisTracy Ullman sketch makes fun of:

How did I quote myself?

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I laughed at Pepe Le Pew in treatment for sex addiction.

Did not like that Hummer ad. AFAIC, trucks falling from the sky like some kind of 12,000 lb. asteroid should not be something to admire or covet.

Mouse bones. I'm thinking that's legally allowed in cereal in minute quantities. 😉 So, is the shrimp tails guys actually that big of an a-hole? I willfully began ignoring that story when, the day after the Boulder mass shooting, TMZ devoted like half their live show to to him. As if he were the biggest story in the US after 10 people had just been murdered. (Also, what did Liza Koshy ever see in him?)

Patty Exxon Mobil.

Well that dog park sketch took a turn. I've heard about people getting aggro about their dogs there.

Didn't care for St. Vincent. I don't get her schtick at all.

I Thought ST. Vincent Was A Man !

So did I until I realized I was thinking of St. Germain.

Daniel Kaluuya was funnier than I expected. Bet he's not going to be invited to Buckingham Palace any time soon if ever after that dig at the BRF in his monologue. Oh well. 🙄

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I was torn about the vaccine sketch. Black people have been given heavy media focus for not taking the vaccine, compared to treatment of other racial groups. SNL joining in felt like overkill. But this was by black writers, and while Daniel didn't entirely work for me, the cast got some funny moments (and the ending actually worked). 

I thought the sketch was unfortunate. While there was vaccine hesitance in the African American community early on in the rollout, it's dropped considerably. 

Republicans are the largest holdouts now.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Unpopular opinion, I know, but I wish Heidi would leave....have never once found her funny.

I Do NOT Like Heidi Either ! Either Heidi Is Whining OR She Is Smug  Like When She And Daniel Craig Were Quoting Lines From Movies ! !

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I laughed at Pepe Le Pew in treatment for sex addiction.

Did not like that Hummer ad. AFAIC, trucks falling from the sky like some kind of 12,000 lb. asteroid should not be something to admire or covet.

Mouse bones. I'm thinking that's legally allowed in cereal in minute quantities. 😉 So, is the shrimp tails guys actually that big of an a-hole? I willfully began ignoring that story when, the day after the Boulder mass shooting, TMZ devoted like half their live show to to him. As if he were the biggest story in the US after 10 people had just been murdered. (Also, what did Liza Koshy ever see in him?)

Patty Exxon Mobil.

Well that dog park sketch took a turn. I've heard about people getting aggro about their dogs there.

So did I until I realized I was thinking of St. Germain.

Daniel Kaluuya was funnier than I expected. Bet he's not going to be invited to Buckingham Palace any time soon if ever after that dig at the BRF in his monologue. Oh well. 🙄

I Did Not Like ST. Vincent in That First Song ! I Thought She Was TOO Weird With The I Call IT Shrieking And The Going Down At The End ! ! I Liked The Second Song Better ! I Mean I Thought ST.Vincent Was A Man Because Vincent Is A Man's Name !

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

28 minutes ago, Jody said:

I Did Not Like ST. Vincent in That First Song ! I Thought She Was TOO Weird With The I Call IT Shrieking And The Going Down At The End ! ! I Liked The Second Song Better ! I Mean I Thought ST.Vincent Was A Man Because Vincent Is A Man's Name !

I kept waiting for both songs to get better -- and they didn't.  I don't get the appeal of St. Vincent at all.

• Love 5