Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E16: Daniel Kaluuya / St. Vincent

• Start Topic

This was a solid show this week. Thought Daniel really brought it (although musical act was ghastly). 

I thought the line of the night was in the college student sketche. Something like  if we’ve learned anything during the pandemic, it’s that we need more poets .

• Love 1

This episode was kind of a dud for me. Daniel's got charisma to spare and I thought his monologue was great, but I forgot pretty much every sketch right after it was over. 

I don't think we saw Melissa or Lauren at all, did we? Again, very little held my attention so they might have showed up and I just missed it.

20 hours ago, mtlchick said:

However I think the vlog videos and apologies may go over people’s head if they don’t know who David Dobrik is. And if you don’t, google his name. It’s a mess.

I was wondering if the timing of the Prank Posse sketch was just a coincidence or if they were actually supposed to referencing the Vlog Squad mess. There were enough pointed references that make me think it was the latter. I think SNL has exactly one Extremely Online writer on staff who manages to sneak this stuff in every once in awhile--I'm even only aware of it because of the (admirably) relentless coverage of the issue from the H3H3 and Frenemies podcasts, it doesn't seem to have penetrated the mainstream the way, say, Logan Paul having a dead body in his thumbnail did.

If it was a direct reference, that does make me a little uncomfy. The whole situation is...dark.

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Mouse bones. I'm thinking that's legally allowed in cereal in minute quantities. 😉 So, is the shrimp tails guys actually that big of an a-hole? I willfully began ignoring that story when, the day after the Boulder mass shooting, TMZ devoted like half their live show to to him. As if he were the biggest story in the US after 10 people had just been murdered. (Also, what did Liza Koshy ever see in him?)

I regret to inform you that Shrimp Tails Guy and I'm Going To Put Sexual Assault In My YouTube Videos Guy are two different, terrible people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm Going To Put Sexual Assault In My YouTube Videos Guy

Oh, my bad. I thought the shrimp tails guy was Dobrik. Yeesh, it's hard to keep these guys straight sometimes. And I'm really not trying to pay any attention to them at all until they start getting arrested. 😐

I was wondering if the timing of the Prank Posse sketch was just a coincidence or if they were actually supposed to referencing the Vlog Squad mess.

I don't think it was a coincidence. But maybe they should've thought some more about making fun of that mess.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I regret to inform you that Shrimp Tails Guy and I'm Going To Put Sexual Assault In My YouTube Videos Guy are two different, terrible people.

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh, my bad. I thought the shrimp tails guy was Dobrik. Yeesh, it's hard to keep these guys straight sometimes. And I'm really not trying to pay any attention to them at all until they start getting arrested. 😐

I was a little confused who they were spoofing too until I realized it was two people (for the most part.) Dobrik put sexual assault on his channel but shrimp tails guy was accused of domestic violence which we all learned about when he drummed up [faux?] outrage over having shrimp tails in his cereal.  And then it made people kind of think he deserved fish tails in his cereal if what he did to his exes is true.

Different accusations but both garbage people apparently.

• Love 4
On 4/4/2021 at 8:17 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't think it was a coincidence. But maybe they should've thought some more about making fun of that mess.  

I'm sometimes disappointed with the show mining ugly real life situations for laughs, but this one didn't bother me as much as, say, the parade of crazy figures Cecily has been playing this season, because I thought they toned down the comedy element to mostly just show how pathetic and disgusting the guy was, without rewarding him by giving him attention (since you have to work to figure out just who they were parodying). 

(I have to admit I did laugh at the "It was cool and it was funny, but it was WRONG," part) 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, helenamonster said:

I don't think we saw Melissa or Lauren at all, did we? Again, very little held my attention so they might have showed up and I just missed it.

I was wondering if the timing of the Prank Posse sketch was just a coincidence or if they were actually supposed to referencing the Vlog Squad mess. There were enough pointed references that make me think it was the latter. I think SNL has exactly one Extremely Online writer on staff who manages to sneak this stuff in every once in awhile--I'm even only aware of it because of the (admirably) relentless coverage of the issue from the H3H3 and Frenemies podcasts, it doesn't seem to have penetrated the mainstream the way, say, Logan Paul having a dead body in his thumbnail did.

Lauren and Melissa were shut out (again). Considering they have 18 people to put into sketches, I think they do a decent job with most of them, but it's unfortunate seeing those two (and sometimes Punkie) shut out over and over.

Steven Castillo and Andrew Dismukes both seem to be the Extremely Online types of people, but I wonder how much of this piece was from Kyle, as he was such an active part of Youtube (up to when he joined SNL, anyway).

Someone on Twitter is kind enough to gather up the writing credits each week from various cast/writer accounts. This week's are here. The most interesting part for me is that Daniel pitched the Salt Bae sketch. That was one of the more fun sketches of the night, I wish it had gotten to air. 

Maya continue the note-leaving tradition:

In case anyone wanted to see the full goodnights:

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Show as whole: One of their better efforts! We found no sketch lame. The satire, she was barbed.

At the beginning of the Kyle pre-filmed rapper bit in the first half hour, we thought, "Oh God, not another Kyle pre-filmed rapper bit," but it developed into something much better than that.

Watching the first few moments of St. Vincent's first number, we both thought, "Wait a minute, is this an episode from 1983?"

• Love 2

I had no idea Salt Bae is a real person. I guess I'll have to read about him. 

I remember St Vincent from her previous appearance on the show, and I was mesmerized by her performance. Not so much this time.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:37 PM, rollacoaster said:

This covid vaccine skit...Hahahahaha! I swear I know each of those folk and have heard ALL those excuses for not taking the vaccine. It's great that SNL has enough Black cast members to be able to do this skit. 

OMG.  I thought the very same thing!  I was like... wait a minute, there are enough black characters to give him an entire family and none of the guys had to go in drag! 

• Love 2
On 4/4/2021 at 9:17 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Shrimp tails guy, Jensen Karp, claims he's a comedian and writer in LA, plus he's married to Danielle Fishel who played Topanga on "Boy Meets World."

• Love 1
On 4/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I kept waiting for both songs to get better -- and they didn't.  I don't get the appeal of St. Vincent at all.

The back-up singers were great though! Just have them on w/o SV.

• Love 1

Jensen Karp, claims he's a comedian

Well there's his first mistake. 😏

Hardly . . .

She does have a killer body. I just get a "trying too hard" vibe from her, similar to what happened with Madonna once she started to become less relevant.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:24 AM, Pete Martell said:

My favorite sketch was with Ego and Daniel as the overbearing, unhappy parents. So many funny lines, and great performances from both of them.

This was a very memorable sketch for one special reason -- the ending was funny, and actually added to the humor...as opposed to almost every single other sketch on SNL for the past 10+ years, that either just dribbles off or ends with a line/premise that just isn't funny.  

• Love 2

I was watching the Salt Bae skit with my teen daughter, and she said, "Oh, that's based on a meme." I went and looked up Salt Bae, and, turns out that the skit wasn't that far off from reality, and that made it all the funnier. I'm always kinda tickled when I think SNL is spoofing a thing, and, turns out, nope, that they are not even exaggerating that much. 

Same with the Prank Posse skit. My daughter, who says she lives on the internet, recognized that genre of YouTube channel, right away, and the type of folk they were spoofing. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

I was watching the Salt Bae skit with my teen daughter, and she said, "Oh, that's based on a meme." I went and looked up Salt Bae, and, turns out that the skit wasn't that far off from reality, and that made it all the funnier. I'm always kinda tickled when I think SNL is spoofing a thing, and, turns out, nope, that they are not even exaggerating that much. 

Interesting.  I remember some comedians were claiming that SNL copied them.  And before I knew about this guy, I could see their point because I thought the whole concept of a salt BAE was their concoction.  But after seeing the vid...not as much. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Interesting.  I remember some comedians were claiming that SNL copied them.  And before I knew about this guy, I could see their point because I thought the whole concept of a salt BAE was their concoction.  But after seeing the vid...not as much. 

This is why more often than not, I'm usually inclined to give such allegations the side-eye.

• Love 2