Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

I could not believe that Miranda Sings was a guest on Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars show!  I tried watching her segment, but I couldn't take more than a few minutes.  She affects this bizarre annoying/annoyed personality, and it's hard to take.  I can see why it would be considered "funny" in the comedian world, but there is a limited amount one could take.  Amazing she developed a large fandom.  It's also amazing to me that these young viewers become so "engaged" with the performers, by making themselves stand out in the fandom world.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 7/3/2023 at 10:54 AM, Luckylyn said:

How Colleen Ballinger (Miranda Sings) Destroyed Her Career

She posted a response that people assumed would be an apology but instead was one of the most baffling tone deaf videos I have ever seen. Why is she singing about an accusation that she groomed minors?!   Basically she claims it’s not true, then it is true but not a big deal (discussing in detail her sex life [what toys she uses, sex positions…etc}, asking them sexual questions, sending her bra and panties to a 13 year old, having an underage girl lie down on stage while she spread her legs in front of the crowd [which she minimizes by calling it just a fart joke], calling underage boys on to the stage and asking them to reach into her pants to get snacks she placed in front of her crotch, she claims her conversations were 5 years ago when she only stopped participating in the group chat with minors a couple of weeks ago, its the parents of the kids fault, it was just a mistake, and it’s not true once again.

Anyway I am sharing the video through one of the kids impacted instead of directly  through her youtube channel.  He’s 20 now but was 13 years old when he and Colleen starting communicating and she was 30 years old.

I think the craziest thing about it is there’s so much evidence of inappropriate behavior to the point that she was including it in her live act on stage.  Why did parents and the general public see this and not get concerned? Why when accusations came out 3 years ago was the response to harass the boy who came forward rather than investigate her behavior? She’s making millions while he got death threats because her fans don’t want to hear that she did anything wrong.

This reminds me of the Narcissist's Prayer:

"That didn’t happen.

And if it did, it wasn’t that bad.

And if it was, that’s not a big deal

And if it is, that’s not my fault.

And if it was, I didn’t mean it.

And if I did, you deserved it."

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 4

Looking at the responses of people defending him just makes me want to give up.

He likes her surfing pictures, and slides into her DMs which leads to a relationship.  Then he wants to her to stop doing the things that make her money and got him to notice her in the first place. There are too many people praising him for establishing his "boundaries."

I know the Twitter algorithms boost the worst kind of people lately but oof--so depressing.

• Like 18
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Looking at the responses of people defending him just makes me want to give up.

I haven't read the actual responses but a few articles talking about them.  What is depressing to me is that most of the comments defending him seem to be coming from young women (or people claiming to be young women).  I hope it's the latter because otherwise, jeeze.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6
  • LOL 1

BBC suspends unnamed presenter who reportedly paid a teen for sexually explicit photos.

Although it should become obvious once he's absent from the air, no?

The presenter allegedly first requested images from the youth in 2020 when they were aged 17 and has made a series of payments over the years, according to The Sun...

The presenter allegedly called the youth after The Sun published the claims and asked "What have you done?", according to a report by the newspaper on Sunday night.

He allegedly also asked the young person to call their mother to ask her to "stop the investigation"....

In new allegations published in The Sun on Sunday, the young person's mother said she was "shocked" when her child showed her a screenshot of a video chat, in which the well-known presenter was sitting in his boxer shorts on a sofa at his home.

She said the man appeared to be "leaning forward, getting ready for my child to perform for him".

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Larry Nasser attacked by another inmate in prison.

Nasser is the former doctor sentenced to life in prison for sexually assaulting dozens of girls and young women while ostensibly 'treating' them for injuries they suffered as gymnasts.  Multiple members of US Olympic Gymnastics team were assaulted and testified against Nasser.  He was previously in a different prison and was transferred after being attacked by a prisoner there.  

• Like 7
(edited)
On 6/26/2023 at 6:01 PM, Lugal said:

I've met people like that and they make the comments and if you try to ignore it they'll keep going with it, and if you protest they'll retreat to "I was just joking!  Don't be so serious!" (As a man, I've encountered it as general bullying rather than sexual harassment, but still).  I remember talking to a woman once and she told the advice from her father about dealing with gross comments:  Just calmly respond with "I don't get it" and make them actually explain what they're saying.

I do that when someone makes  a racist remark to me. I made one man explain what a ' w******' was and I kept telling him "But that makes no sense because...".

After a couple of rounds he shut up and his wife sat there and snickered.  Playing dumb works wonders.  

Ok, Primetimer blanked out the word because it was offensive...fair enough..it is a word for someone who comes from Mexico.  I want the story to make sense. Hopefully the explanation is not offensive that is not my intention. 

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Like 13
(edited)
On 7/10/2023 at 5:04 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

BBC suspends unnamed presenter who reportedly paid a teen for sexually explicit photos.

Although it should become obvious once he's absent from the air, no?

Not as obvious as you'd think, as not all shows air all year round, those that do allow presenters time off - it's the summer, lots of presenters are coming and going at the moment, taking holidays. That said, the identity of the individual is apparently common knowledge within the BBC, so I can't see it staying a secret for long. On the other hand, the BBC is right to keep the man's identity secret while their investigation is in process, to avoid trial by press of someone who may or may not be guilty of the alleged offences - although I can see why a bunch of other presenters are calling on the individual to come forward, not wanting to be tarred by association. But the BBC as an entity won't want to identify them prematurely, so that if the allegations are found to be malicious, an innocent person won't have had their reputation smeared for no reason. But if the allegations are found to have basis in fact, I will expect the person to be named and further action taken.

Edited by Llywela
typo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
(edited)

BBC live updates here - Huw Edwards' wife has named him as the man at the centre of the allegations. Not gonna lie, I gasped a bit when I read it. Her statement is interesting.

Vicky Flind's statement on behalf of her husband, given to PA news agency, in full:

"In light of the recent reporting regarding the 'BBC Presenter' I am making this statement on behalf of my husband Huw Edwards, after what have been five extremely difficult days for our family.

"I am doing this primarily out of concern for his mental well-being and to protect our children.

"Huw is suffering from serious mental health issues. As is well documented, he has been treated for severe depression in recent years.

"The events of the last few days have greatly worsened matters, he has suffered another serious episode and is now receiving in-patient hospital care where he'll stay for the foreseeable future.

"Once well enough to do so, he intends to respond to the stories that have been published.

"To be clear Huw was first told that there were allegations being made against him last Thursday.

"In the circumstances and given Huw's condition I would like to ask that the privacy of my family and everyone else caught up in these upsetting events is respected.

"I know that Huw is deeply sorry that so many colleagues have been impacted by the recent media speculation. We hope this statement will bring that to an end."

ETA - the police say they have looked into the matter and have decided there is no evidence a criminal offence has been committed. The BBC says it is now resuming its investigation "whilst continuing to be mindful of our duty of care to all involved”

Edited by Llywela
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 5
On 7/20/2023 at 5:57 AM, BetterButter said:

I'm so disappointed.  I've been such a fan of Elfman and his Oingo Boingo bandmates, love his scores.  His music really means so much to me personally.  What is it that says to these guys that 'oh this girl is my fan, so I can go beyond normal boundaries' - and they don't think this is ever going to bite them in the ass?  They just must think they are totally untouchable.  

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
21 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Venice Film Festival Director Defends Invites to Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, and Luc Besson

Another proof, if any was needed, that there are rarely consequences for predatory men.

God and its not like there are other non-white, non-old, non-men, non-predatory directors they could invite instead.   If female directors boycott because of these guys being invited THEY become the problem, not the Unholy Trio.

• Like 15
45 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I'm not surprised.  A list stars continued to work with them.  Polanski won an Oscar.  The MeToo movement hopefully had some effect but then you see something like this.

Venice film festival.

Because Old white pervs festival is not as appealing

• Like 3
  • LOL 10
On 7/27/2023 at 10:48 AM, Laura Holt said:

Venice Film Festival Director Defends Invites to Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, and Luc Besson

Another proof, if any was needed, that there are rarely consequences for predatory men.

What is crazy is that even if you ignore the other two (and I realize that is a gigantic if) Polanski is basically a convicted fugitive. And I saw one of the organizers say they basically don't care because his accuser forgave him, but all it takes is to watch the first 30 seconds of any of the 400+ episodes of Law and Order to know that it is "the people" that convict people in the criminal justice system not the victims.

Also what is up with that list, was Bill Cosby not available for a special 36th anniversary screening of Leonard Part 6?

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
4 hours ago, BetterButter said:

In addition to his 2020 assault charges, he was booked for a DUI in May of that same year. THR reports he pled guilty to the charge and was sentenced to five years of probation and 18 months in a multiple-offender alcohol program, due to past DUI arrests in 2004, 2007, and 2017.

Four DUI arrests??!?! He should still be on probation so this latest arrest better actually have some consequences.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2

Very disappointed with this one

https://jezebel.com/lizzos-backup-dancers-file-bombshell-lawsuit-against-he-1850696044

"Three of Lizzo’s former dancers filed a lawsuit Tuesday morning in Los Angeles County Superior Court against the performer; her production company, Big Grrrl Big Touring, Inc.; and Shirlene Quigley, Lizzo’s dance team captain. Arianna Davis, Crystal Williams, and Noelle Rodriguez allege that the defendants created a hostile work environment through sexual, religious, and racial harassment, along with two separate lewd incidents involving a banana."

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 3
On 7/27/2023 at 10:48 AM, Laura Holt said:

Right because being invited to one film festival means you haven’t been punished in other ways. And, Polanski aside (because he is a convicted rapist) why shouldn’t the other two be invited? I’m glad these international festivals are not buying into this BS where people need to be punished for accusations.

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

https://jezebel.com/lizzos-backup-dancers-file-bombshell-lawsuit-against-he-1850696044

"Three of Lizzo’s former dancers filed a lawsuit Tuesday morning in Los Angeles County Superior Court against the performer; her production company, Big Grrrl Big Touring, Inc.; and Shirlene Quigley, Lizzo’s dance team captain. Arianna Davis, Crystal Williams, and Noelle Rodriguez allege that the defendants created a hostile work environment through sexual, religious, and racial harassment, along with two separate lewd incidents involving a banana."

Disappointed? Because she’s automatically guilty?

• Mind Blown 1

I'm always in the wait and see what happens and what else comes out category. Usually if someone is accused by one person, others who have been through the same thing feel safer coming forward. She (and her dance captain) were accused by 3 separate dancers, 2 who competed on her show and another who is in one of her music videos. 

Also, a few other people have come out since the lawsuit was filed and have shared their experience.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniesoteriou/lizzo-arrogant-self-centered-unkind-lawsuit-dancers?origin=hpdm

• Like 11
  • Useful 4
20 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When I first started seeing mentions of accusations I was really hoping this wouldn’t be that bad but reading the details killed that hope. And now others have come forward to back up the claims made in the lawsuit. Sounds like a really toxic work environment with zero respect for personal boundaries. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Reminder:  This is not the place to dissect what posters might be trying to say.  You may respectively ask for clarification if there is confusion, but what you think other posters are saying between the lines is not an appropriate conversation for this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Applause 1

Emily D. Baker is going through the factual allegations in the Lizzo Complaint.   IF TRUE, this is bad.   Like really bad.   False imprisonment, sexual harassment, assault.   Some of this stuff was witnessed by others.   Apparently this is a video that Lizzo really wanted deleted.   Which, of course, raises the question WHAT WAS ON THE VIDEO?   

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 8

I think Fallon was pals with Horatio Sanz, and I always got the impression when the stuff with Sanz came out with the underage girl, that Fallon at best knew and did nothing. 

From what I recall, it was ages ago I read about that. But I definitely thought Fallon's role in it was questionable.

• Like 11
  • Useful 4
10 minutes ago, cleo said:

I think Fallon was pals with Horatio Sanz, and I always got the impression when the stuff with Sanz came out with the underage girl, that Fallon at best knew and did nothing. 

From what I recall, it was ages ago I read about that. But I definitely thought Fallon's role in it was questionable.

It got settled pretty quick after it was requested that Jimmy Fallon, Tracy Morgan, and Lorne Michaels be added to the lawsuit.

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

It got settled pretty quick after it was requested that Jimmy Fallon, Tracy Morgan, and Lorne Michaels be added to the lawsuit.

I remember that because the NBC News coverage of the story said it was dismissed while every other news agency said there was a settlement. 😒

I’m not at all surprised that there are now allegations about the Tonight Show.