Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

This replaces the Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him thread.

This is the place to discuss abuse, assault, power aggressions and the like in the entertainment industry.  Please remember:

• This thread is not for gossip, but for specific, concrete allegations.  Topics should be introduced with a link to a news item.
  • This is about the entertainment industry.  Discussion of similar topics in the sports world is better placed in the Sports forum.
  • The entertainment industry includes:
    • Celebrities
    • Entertainment industry employees and employers
    • Media industry employees and employers
  • Per our political talk policy, discussions of elected officials and politicians are not permitted.
  • All Primetimer site rules apply.
  • Love 5

Justice League: Deborah Snyder Reported Whedon's Behavior to Warner Bros. in 2017

Here’s how out of touch I am with DC stuff: I was so bored last night I randomly watched Justice League. Like, just clicked it while scrolling through HBO Max. I’m just not a DC film person, so was not surprised at the end to feel like “well, that was pretty crappy and it felt like someone had tried to weld some awkward humor on top of it.” Then ten minutes later: “What is this Zack Snyder’s Justice League thing at the top of the HBO Max app? The next movie in the series?” and only then did I google it, and only then did I mentally link it back to the recent Whedon stuff. I knew about the allegations, but as a non-DC-film person, I mostly ended up focusing on the Charisma Carpenter/BTVS stories, which I was much more familiar with. I had no idea that in addition to everything else, there was this whole thing with Whedon just generally fucking up this particular movie.

TLDR: Last night I sat through the 2017 version of Justice League without realizing what I was doing.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Some people (we can guess what type they are) started a campaign to bring back Piers Morgan to Good Morning Britain.   Except they only titled it "Bring Back Piers."   Sooooooooo good people are sending in photographs of piers -- as in fishing, boating, etc.    You know the physical structures.    It gives me hope for the world yet.

They'd better not bring him back. There was a massive number of complaints - from staff on the show as well as the general public, not to mention the Duchess of Sussex herself. ITV surely know he went too far (for my money, he already went too far years ago and should have been sacked long since) and there is no way back.

Trouble is, vermin like him usually find another hole to crawl into. *sigh*

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 11

Even though he quit, predictably, right out of the gate, Piers new theme is that he was a victim of "cancel culture".

My guess is that Piers, right from the moment he even contemplated the mess he made for himself, called up Rupert Murdoch.  Apparently a Fox News-like new channel from Murdoch called "News UK TV" is in the final planning stages (the government has already approved it). 

Anyone want to take bets on who might be the new star of News UK TV? 

Or alternatively, there's apparently another new channel with similar politics called "GB News" coming along this year. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Some people (we can guess what type they are) started a campaign to bring back Piers Morgan to Good Morning Britain.   Except they only titled it "Bring Back Piers."   Sooooooooo good people are sending in photographs of piers -- as in fishing, boating, etc.    You know the physical structures.    It gives me hope for the world yet.

That is so awesome. 🤣😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Even though he quit, predictably, right out of the gate, Piers new theme is that he was a victim of "cancel culture".

My guess is that Piers, right from the moment he even contemplated the mess he made for himself, called up Rupert Murdoch.  Apparently a Fox News-like new channel from Murdoch called "News UK TV" is in the final planning stages (the government has already approved it). 

Anyone want to take bets on who might be the new star of News UK TV? 

Or alternatively, there's apparently another new channel with similar politics called "GB News" coming along this year. 

39 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

The possible future of UK broadcasting...and it ain't pretty.

What Piers Morgan’s exit tells us about the future of impartial broadcasting in the UK

Thanks, guys. You're really cheering me up 😞 

2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

https://tenor.com/2QVk.gif

• LOL 5
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

LOL, that's amazing. Good on them. 

Yeah, if I stormed out of my workplace because I didn't like what people were saying, there's no way I'd get to keep my job. He shouldn't be able to keep his. Let someone like him actually have to face some actual consequences for a change, for the love of God. 

And anyone who's claiming he's a victim of "cancel culture" can put a sock in it. He quit. He chose to walk off stage. That was all his decision. Nobody else's. 

• Love 20
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And anyone who's claiming he's a victim of "cancel culture" can put a sock in it. He quit. He chose to walk off stage. That was all his decision. Nobody else's.

And yet the naked, obvious truth of that isn't going to stop him, or his followers to his inevitable employment at one of the two new hard-right media outlets starting in the UK within the next few months, from outright saying it IS cancel culture, and him redeveloping his brand completely around that. 

It's inevitable. 

• Love 3

Well apparently he's been butt hurt over Meghan Markle ever since she ghosted him. He's spent years attacking her because he's bitter she didn't find him interesting. He's a man scorned.

According to Morgan's version of events, he and Markle struck up a friendship after they started following each other on Twitter (Morgan had followed several actors from "Suits," and Markle followed him back). Markle told him in 2015 that she was a "big fan" of his and would send him screeners of "Suits" episodes.

"I thought we were having a good sort of friendship building," Morgan said during the 2018 "Late Late Show" appearance.

Morgan said Markle asked him whether he wanted to meet up when she would be in the UK for another event. He invited her to his local pub, where he said they had a few drinks before she was heading to a party.

"We got on brilliantly, and then I put her in a cab," Morgan said. "And it turned out to be a cab that took her to a party where she met Prince Harry. And then the next night they had a solo dinner together, and that was the last I ever heard from Meghan Markle."

"She ghosted me, Ryan!" when the host Ryan Tubridy asked what happened. "Meghan Markle ghosted me."

"I really liked her — this is why it hurts," Morgan said while laughing. "She's just a slight social climber, I'm afraid."

How dare she have her own agency over who she dates.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Well apparently he's been butt hurt over Meghan Markle ever since she ghosted him. He's spent years attacking her because he's bitter she didn't find him interesting. He's a man scorned.

How dare she have her own agency over who she dates.

It would never occur to Morgan that she was probably advised to keep her distance from him

• Love 15
1 minute ago, scorpio1031 said:

It would never occur to Morgan that she was probably advised to keep her distance from him

That's a really good point. As soon as she began dating the prince I would think she would have to be much more careful who she was in contact with. As an actor she was probably trying to make contacts, that business is all about "who you know" which is perfectly normal and acceptable, but as the girlfriend of the prince she'd have to be much more selective about who she talks to, and PM is a fucking parasite so it was best to get the hell away from him. 

• Love 14

And even if she weren't dating Harry, she may well have picked up on Piers' creepy, obnoxious vibe early on just on its own. That'd be more than enough reason for her to want to distance herself, no matter what else is going on. 

What a whiny little baby. Oh, no, a woman stopped talking to you. Suck it up and move on. 

• Love 18

Sounds like he’s the type of guy who feels led on and lied to because the pretty woman was nice to him for her job and so, of course, he thought she wanted him. So now she’s a lying liar who lies and can’t be trusted. Everything she does is acting because he thinks she was acting with him rather than being professional. He’s the guy who thinks a smile gives him permission to grab your ass. 

Edited by Guest
12 minutes ago, Dani said:

Sounds like he’s the type of guy who fells led on and lied to because the pretty woman was nice to him...

I was about to post to mention just that.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, merylinkid said:

In this case, it is singular. Still, I think it should count. 😉🤣😂

3da64080-3304-447d-b572-70eeac6d3e57-pier1.jpg

20210311_210817.jpg

• LOL 4
  • Love 9

Hey all!  In attempt to keep this thread from becoming a free-for-all (as the old thread did), we have a pretty narrow aim here.  This thread is to talk about specific cases of assault, harassment, or other aggressions.  I've updated the original post to ask that any topic introduction include a link to a news article.

As for Piers Morgan, we have moved away from the specific case of him being called out on air for his behavior to his general icky-ness.  We don't want to stop this conversation, but rather move it to a more appropriate thread.  There is always the Miscellaneous News thread or, perhaps more appropriate in the case of Mr. Morgan, the Ugh! Actors and TV Personalities You Just Can't Stand thread.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Samantha Giemer is curious because the Farrow 'documentary used her likeness without permission. She says she has been re victimized by someone who Westfield for her rapist. Mia has zero respect for anyone.

5 hours ago, bobalina said:

Samantha Giemer is curious because the Farrow 'documentary used her likeness without permission. She says she has been re victimized by someone who Westfield for her rapist. Mia has zero respect for anyone.

Mia didn’t make the documentary. I’m amazed at how much power Mia is given by many. 

9 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m amazed at how much power Mia is given by many. 

Honestly for many this will never be Dylan Farrow's story - it will always be about Mia.  Despite the fact that Dylan is an adult woman in her 30s, married and with a successful career.  If Mia was truly as powerful as her haters believe her to be Allen would have been rotting in prison.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

They must have changed the title because it's different now.  And the article doesn't say she was asked to have sex with her male costars on that movie; it was other movies.

She does tell a story about the infamous Basic Instinct scene, though.

My bad. Thanks for the heads up!

• Love 2

At least the first instance, knowing it was during her early fame, and a questionable actor was referenced, I think we can take some pretty good guesses over who the costar (and by inferance, which producer) she meant. 

As her career exploded, Stone was able to include actor approval in her contract, meaning she gets a say in who will co-star with her.

“No one cared,” she writes. “They cast who they wanted. To my dismay, sometimes. To the detriment of the picture, sometimes.”

The Emmy and Golden Globe winner shares a story when a male producer — who she has not named — asked her to have sex with a co-star.

She writes, in part, that the male producer “explained to me why I should fuck my co-star so that we could have onscreen chemistry. Why, in his day, he made love to Ava Gardner onscreen and it was so sensational! Now just the creepy thought of him in the same room with Ava Gardner gave me pause. Then I realized that she also had to put up with him and pretend that he was in any way interesting.”

Stone recalls thinking, “‘You guys insisted on this actor when he couldn’t get one whole scene out in the test…Now you think if I fuck him, he will become a fine actor?’ Nobody’s that good in bed.”

“I felt they could have just hired a co-star with talent, someone who could deliver a scene and remember his lines. I also felt they could fuck him themselves and leave me out of it,” she writes. “It was my job to act and I said so. This was not a popular response. I was considered difficult.”

Stone says she had similar experiences numerous times with other producers, who could come to her trailer to ask, “So, are you going to fuck him, or aren’t you? … You know it would go better if you did.”

She qualified as "famous" since Total Recall (1990) but probably means AFTER Basic Instinct, which was 1992.  Her very next film was the now forgotten "Silver". 

I think she's talking about that film for a few reasons. It was an erotic thriller which only BARELY missed an NC17 rating.  And the costar we could all imagine her NOT wanting to actually have sex with was the creepy William Baldwin.  Who's acting I can definitely see being called into question (but he was slighty warm careerwise at that point, because of "Backdraft"). 

The producer makes even more sense. The even creepier Robert Evans. 

Robert Evans was a former actor. Who co-starred in The Sun Also Rises... with Ava Gardner. Who Stone name checked in talking about the Producer. 

Although Evans was likely lying about Gardner, if the implication is that he slept with her offscreen. She supposedly hated his guts. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Useful 8
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

At least the first instance, knowing it was during her early fame, and a questionable actor was referenced, I think we can take some pretty good guesses over who the costar (and by inferance, which producer) she meant. 

As her career exploded, Stone was able to include actor approval in her contract, meaning she gets a say in who will co-star with her.

“No one cared,” she writes. “They cast who they wanted. To my dismay, sometimes. To the detriment of the picture, sometimes.”

The Emmy and Golden Globe winner shares a story when a male producer — who she has not named — asked her to have sex with a co-star.

She writes, in part, that the male producer “explained to me why I should fuck my co-star so that we could have onscreen chemistry. Why, in his day, he made love to Ava Gardner onscreen and it was so sensational! Now just the creepy thought of him in the same room with Ava Gardner gave me pause. Then I realized that she also had to put up with him and pretend that he was in any way interesting.”

Stone recalls thinking, “‘You guys insisted on this actor when he couldn’t get one whole scene out in the test…Now you think if I fuck him, he will become a fine actor?’ Nobody’s that good in bed.”

“I felt they could have just hired a co-star with talent, someone who could deliver a scene and remember his lines. I also felt they could fuck him themselves and leave me out of it,” she writes. “It was my job to act and I said so. This was not a popular response. I was considered difficult.”

Stone says she had similar experiences numerous times with other producers, who could come to her trailer to ask, “So, are you going to fuck him, or aren’t you? … You know it would go better if you did.”

She qualified as "famous" since Total Recall (1990) but probably means AFTER Basic Instinct, which was 1992.  Her very next film was the now forgotten "Silver". 

I think she's talking about that film for a few reasons. It was an erotic thriller which only BARELY missed an NC17 rating.  And the costar we could all imagine her NOT wanting to actually have sex with was the creepy William Baldwin.  Who's acting I can definitely see being called into question (but he was slighty warm careerwise at that point, because of "Backdraft"). 

The producer makes even more sense. The even creepier Robert Evans. 

Robert Evans was a former actor. Who co-starred in The Sun Also Rises... with Ava Gardner. Who Stone name checked in talking about the Producer. 

Although Evans was likely lying about Gardner, if the implication is that he slept with her offscreen. She supposedly hated his guts. 

Maybe, Miss Gardner did consider Mr. Evans physically attractive enough at the time  to at least  consider if he might have been worth a roll in the hay- then wound up hating his guts after said roll or maybe Miss Gardner had  been told by the earlier movie's PTB to fool around with him to make the picture hotter and that wound up souring her POV of him from that point on (whether or not she actually went through with it or told everyone to buzz off).  Any of the above scenarios are possible. 

For anyone who doesn’t want to read the article and was as confused as I was by someone “losing views” it means he deleted several videos over the last few months, so those videos no longer count toward his view count. 

• Useful 16
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

"Did I tell her to fuck Billy Baldwin? You're damn right I did."

Someone besides me has seen "The Kid Stays In The Picture". 

23 hours ago, Blergh said:

Maybe, Miss Gardner did consider Mr. Evans physically attractive enough at the time  to at least  consider if he might have been worth a roll in the hay- then wound up hating his guts after said roll or maybe Miss Gardner had  been told by the earlier movie's PTB to fool around with him to make the picture hotter and that wound up souring her POV of him from that point on (whether or not she actually went through with it or told everyone to buzz off).  Any of the above scenarios are possible. 

Sure, possible, but unlikely. 

The title of Evans biography/biopic, "The Kid Stays In The Picture" was specifically that because Ava Gardner didn't want him cast, tried like hell to get Evans booted, and Darryl F. Zanuck allegedly supported Evans, against Gardner's wishes and supposedly said that line. 

It's actually fascinating reading/viewing, although kind of gross at the same time. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Respectfully, that’s not the headline. 

“L.A. Goth nightclub known for rituals and secrecy has closed amid sexual misconduct claims.”

The alleged Middleditch incident (per the article) was in 2019. There seems to have been a larger pattern of misconduct amongst the club’s management, hence:

Shortly after being contacted by The Times in January about Cloak & Dagger's alleged toxic atmosphere, Bravin and Patterson announced that the club was closing permanently and deleted all their social media content.

Middleditch is just the click-grabbing headline name, and the club does not appear to have closed “due” to him.

It does suck if it turns out he’s yet another perv.

The club itself sounds like NXIVM lite.

Original non-Yahoo article here: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2021-03-21/cloak-and-dagger-goth-nightclub-closed-sexual-misconduct-claims

• Useful 8
  • Love 2