Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

Jonathan Majors is one of the hottest names in Hollywood, has a massive Marvel contract and graduated from Yale, how does he have a lawyer dumb enough to think releasing that was a good idea. 

35 minutes ago, Dani said:

Jonathan Majors is one of the hottest names in Hollywood, has a massive Marvel contract and graduated from Yale, how does he have a lawyer dumb enough to think releasing that was a good idea. 

I think a lot of times they're banking on people not seeing through it and it being more of a strategy to intimidate and silence the victim than anything else. 

• Like 8
54 minutes ago, Zella said:

I think a lot of times they're banking on people not seeing through it and it being more of a strategy to intimidate and silence the victim than anything else. 

The tactic doesn’t surprise me as much as the timing. The story was pretty quiet. The lawyers initial statement about all the evidence they had proving he didn’t do it put most people I saw in wait and see mode. The only people I’ve seen who saw the texts as proof he didn’t do anything are the people who were already on his side. So either they are really dumb or they are trying to get out ahead of something. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Never heard of him until 2 days ago 🤷‍♀️.

• Like 14
13 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Never heard of him until 2 days ago 🤷‍♀️.

That doesn’t surprise me. He really just started getting widespread recognition in the last couple of months due to Creed III and Ant-Man 3 releasing a month apart. He was considered an early Oscar contender for his role in Creed III and is playing the main Marvel villain of the next 3 years. 

15 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m sure you’re right but the fact that the lawyer felt the need to release them makes me think the DA isn’t going along with dropping the charges yet. 

Don't you love it when the guy is abusing her RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE.   Which is 100% what he is doing by authorizing his attorney to release them.  

• Applause 6
(edited)

I looked back in this thread just to make sure and didn't see this posted last month.

Former SNL superfan who recently settled underage abuse lawsuit against Horatio Sanz describes her emotional journey

There's a blind item from a couple days ago on the Crazy Days and Nights blog that goes like this...

Blind Item #1

A late night talk show host and a late night executive producer contributed to the settlement paid to the underage girl groomed by a former late night cast member.

Edited by Jaded
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 2
On 4/4/2023 at 10:43 PM, Jaded said:

I looked back in this thread just to make sure and didn't see this posted last month.

Former SNL superfan who recently settled underage abuse lawsuit against Horatio Sanz describes her emotional journey

There's a blind item from a couple days ago on the Crazy Days and Nights blog that goes like this...

The accuser  previously tried to add Jimmy Fallon, Lorne Michaels and Tracy Morgan to her suit a while back, claiming that they were aware that Sanz was grooming underage girls online and then providing Sanz with the space for the assault and looking the other way after encouraging her to join the after-show party where it happened.  So, I think the identities of the talk show host and producer are hardly a secret.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

So, I think the identities of the talk show host and producer are hardly a secret.

Yep. I agree.  A group of disgusting men to say the least. I hate that Jimmy has brought back one of my favorite gameshows but won't keep his mug off it so I can watch.

• Like 7

Does this count as the entertainment industry? Either way, WTH?

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/10/1168962589/dalai-lama-apologizes-tongue-kiss

The Dalai Lama has apologized for kissing a young boy on the lips and asking him to "suck my tongue" after a video of the incident sparked outrage on social media.

[...] A video of the incident shared widely on social media shows a young boy approaching the Dalai Lama during an event, asking him for a hug.

The leader calls him on stage and motions to his cheek, saying "first here," according to a live translation from the event. The boy obliges, and the Dalai Lama offers a hug, then continues holding onto the boy.

The leader then motions to his lips, saying "I think here also." He cups the boy's chin and kisses him on the mouth as the audience laughs and applauds.

The Dalai Lama pauses, then adds, "and suck my tongue." The boy slowly moves his head closer to the Dalai Lama's but appears only to touch his forehead before withdrawing.

• Mind Blown 9
  • Sad 2
40 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

The Gerard Depardiu news is the least surprising news since ... well I don't know when.

Honestly I thought he got in trouble before for something like this.

If he wasn't French I don't think he would have had an acting career. He isn't attractive. Not a good actor and as mentioned above gives off a sleazebag vibe.

• Like 13
On 4/12/2023 at 8:04 PM, JustHereForFood said:

Zero surprise here. He always seemed like a sleazebag to me, even before he started to worship Hitler's reincarnation.

But it just proves that he and his russian passport are a match made in hell.

I don’t follow a lot of news and not surprised that Depardieu has been accused of sexually inappropriate behavior now, because I do know her has had previous allegations.

Can you point me to a link regarding his worshipping the second coming of Hitler! Or explain what that means? 
I totally get the if it was a reference to Putin

I think the David Choe podcast stuff was mentioned in this thread previously at some point. It might have been another incident involving a podcast and someone else that I'm remembering though.

‘Beef’ Star David Choe Uses Copyright to Scrub Podcast Episode Where He Admitted ‘Rapey Behavior’

‘Beef’ star David Choe’s shocking rape claim resurfaces amid calls for show boycott

Allegations of sexual assault against actor Armie Hammer being reviewed by Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 4
17 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

But yea, accusations really ruin a man's life, huh.

The trailer for the John Wick spin off series was released last week(ish) and I had to remind myself constantly that, as much as I love the movies, there is no way I'm watching Mel Gibson in anything. Especially something he was cast in after everything.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, akg said:

The trailer for the John Wick spin off series was released last week(ish) and I had to remind myself constantly that, as much as I love the movies, there is no way I'm watching Mel Gibson in anything. Especially something he was cast in after everything.

I was so disappointed that Hollywood seems to have forgotten sugar tits and all that other awful stuff he said.  I remember some people at the time defending him because "they knew him and this was just so out of character for him".  Made me not like them anymore either.

• Like 12
5 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I don't know if he would be dropped based on just an accusation.  They must know a lot more than has been made public.

For something like the the Met Gala -- which is a huge marketing event for the fashion industry -- I think it's entirely plausible that they don't want their brand associated with a possible abuser. Especially when there are many other stars without a current scandal that can replace him.

[ETA] All that to say, that I don't think the people at Valentino necessarily "know a lot more", and that I think an accusation is enough, when it's the most recent news about Majors, and it would definitely get brought up in the media along with their brand name.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, Trini said:

For something like the the Met Gala -- which is a huge marketing event for the fashion industry -- I think it's entirely plausible that they don't want their brand associated with a possible abuser. Especially when there are many other stars without a current scandal that can replace him.

[ETA] All that to say, that I don't think the people at Valentino necessarily "know a lot more", and that I think an accusation is enough, when it's the most recent news about Majors, and it would definitely get brought up in the media along with their brand name.

Also, these are companies making business decisions, not a court of law.  They don't need to have proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  If they think it hurts their brand, they can drop them in a hot minute.   They don't need "evidence" or "more."   

Now the PR and Agent probably have a  contract so they can't just rip it up.   But I am betting there is a clause that allows dropping with appropriate notice for any reason or no reason.   

• Like 10
On 4/18/2023 at 1:29 AM, Stats Queen said:

I don’t follow a lot of news and not surprised that Depardieu has been accused of sexually inappropriate behavior now, because I do know her has had previous allegations.

Can you point me to a link regarding his worshipping the second coming of Hitler! Or explain what that means? 
I totally get the if it was a reference to Putin

Yes, it was. He became a russian citizen, because he didn't want to be a French one anymore. If I remember correctly, there was a tax-related reason, he thought he was paying too many taxes as French citizen or something like that.

Gérard Depardieu - Citizenship

And oh my God, I just scrolled up in the wiki to what they write about his rape allegations, only to see this quote he reportedly said in the past: "too many [rapes] to count... There was nothing wrong with it. The girls wanted to be raped. I mean, there's no such thing as rape. It's only a matter of a girl putting herself in a situation where she wants to be."

Ugh. Depardieu's team said his words were mistranslated, yeah, I sure believe that. 

• Mind Blown 6
  • Sad 7
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Now the PR and Agent probably have a  contract so they can't just rip it up.   But I am betting there is a clause that allows dropping with appropriate notice for any reason or no reason.   

The PR thing got me because PR firms are partially in the business of making things like this go away or get pushed under the radar. 

And I think if it had remained one incident, they'd still represent him. However, I bet once Vanity Fair started reaching out for the following story, they knew it was going to be too much to contain.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

The PR thing got me because PR firms are partially in the business of making things like this go away or get pushed under the radar. 

And I think if it had remained one incident, they'd still represent him. However, I bet once Vanity Fair started reaching out for the following story, they knew it was going to be too much to contain.

That explains a lot. His long time manager and PR firm dropping him made me think something big was going to come out and they were abandoning a sinking ship. It doesn’t surprise me since only took a couple of hours for a couple of industry people to come forward. 

It seems like his team was hoping they could get the girlfriend to recant, the DA would drop the charges and he could come out relatively unscathed. That ship has sailed. 

Deadline's got a rebuttal from his lawyer to that latest Variety article, FYI: https://deadline.com/2023/04/jonathan-majors-abuse-claims-denial-other-women-manhattan-da-1235332216/

Heading toward a May 8 hearing in New York on domestic abuse charges, Jonathan Majors’ lawyer again is insisting that the Creed III actor is not guilty of any allegations of violence.

“Jonathan Majors is innocent and has not abused anyone,” attorney Priya Chaudhry declared late Wednesday as rumors of more potential incidents swirled around her client and Majors continues to be axed by representatives and from projects “We have provided irrefutable evidence to the District Attorney that the charges are false. We are confident that he will be fully exonerated.”

When contacted by Deadline, the Manhattan District Attorney’s office had “no comment” today on Chaudhry’s assertion or whether other women had come forward to claim abuse by Majors.

• Useful 1
47 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I find this whole thing so confusing. If the lawyer had released that version of events immediately it would have completely changed the story. So why describe it as an “emotional crisis” when your actual claim is that she left and got blackout drunk? Why release text messages that refer to injuries and make him look worse if they have multiple drunken texts?

I have so many questions. What were her injuries? Does he have injuries from the alleged attack in the cab? What does she claim happened after she woke up? Have other women really come forward and what have they said?

3 hours ago, Dani said:

I find this whole thing so confusing. If the lawyer had released that version of events immediately it would have completely changed the story. So why describe it as an “emotional crisis” when your actual claim is that she left and got blackout drunk? Why release text messages that refer to injuries and make him look worse if they have multiple drunken texts?

I have so many questions. What were her injuries? Does he have injuries from the alleged attack in the cab? What does she claim happened after she woke up? Have other women really come forward and what have they said?

It’s all very odd, imo.  Certainly, this can be sorted out.  I’d like to know which version is accurate.  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Have they ever talked to the cab driver about what he or she saw?

It seems like a detective interviewing witnesses, reading  reports, medical records and video surveillance, should be able to confirm what actually happened.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Dani said:

If the lawyer had released that version of events immediately it would have completely changed the story. So why describe it as an “emotional crisis” when your actual claim is that she left and got blackout drunk? Why release text messages that refer to injuries and make him look worse if they have multiple drunken texts?

It sounds to me like what my great-grandfather liked to call "getting your lies together." I don't think they expected their first version to get the backlash it did, so they're revising accordingly. Maybe she did lie and he's innocent, but I find this big of a story shift very suspect personally. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Have they ever talked to the cab driver about what he or she saw?

Majors’s lawyer says that the girlfriend tried to take his phone and attacked him in the cab but who knows how much of that is spin. I’m sure the police have looked into to it. 

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It seems like a detective interviewing witnesses, reading  reports, medical records and video surveillance, should be able to confirm what actually happened.  

Based on the information out there I really doubt that they will be able to confirm. They can probably figure out to some degree what happened in the cab and follow their movements but the arrest happened hours later. Unfortunately, most DV situations are not clearcut. 

1 hour ago, Zella said:

Maybe she did lie and he's innocent, but I find this big of a story shift very suspect personally. 

Same for me. 

On 4/19/2023 at 8:29 PM, Irlandesa said:

They might be a regular PR firm.   Not really there for crisis handling.   Like "oh client is going to be at a premier" or "client accepts this award for being a great human being."    There are PR firms that specialize in crisis management.   If it were one of THEM and they dropped him, it would be really bad.   But your run of the mill PR firm with lots of NON-problematic clients, "bye-bye, we don't need to be associated with you."

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
On 4/21/2023 at 6:23 AM, merylinkid said:

They might be a regular PR firm.   Not really there for crisis handling.   Like "oh client is going to be at a premier" or "client accepts this award for being a great human being."    There are PR firms that specialize in crisis management.   If it were one of THEM and they dropped him, it would be really bad.   But your run of the mill PR firm with lots of NON-problematic clients, "bye-bye, we don't need to be associated with you."

It was one of the top PR agencies that represents a slew of A listers and major companies like Netflix so I would be surprised if they aren’t equipped to handle crisis situations in some capacity.