Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/14/2023 at 11:41 PM, Anduin said:

I almost want to see it now, but I know how much I dislike cringe entertainment so I'll resist. Still, maybe that's what they were going for? The morbidly curious viewers?

I have checked out 2 episodes, because I wanted to see the controversy for myself.  What is so shocking is that the rest of the show is so bad!  Omg, it’s terrible writing.  I guess the explicit portions were to distract from how horrible the rest of the show is.  Ugh….Oh, the show seems to be about Miley Cyrus, imo.  The lead actress looks and acts like Miley.  I guess Miley didn’t want to play herself.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have checked out 2 episodes, because I wanted to see the controversy for myself.  What is so shocking is that the rest of the show is so bad!  Omg, it’s terrible writing.  I guess the explicit portions were to distract from how horrible the rest of the show is.  Ugh….Oh, the show seems to be about Miley Cyrus, imo.  The lead actress looks and acts like Miley.  I guess Mikey didn’t want to play herself.  

Thanks. Sounds like one to miss.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Did that exec think he was paying her a compliment?

In my experience of being hit on by creepy men, I think a lot of times they're very aware they're being creepy assholes and they're intentionally trying to make you uncomfortable. 

• Like 12
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 4
29 minutes ago, Zella said:

In my experience of being hit on by creepy men, I think a lot of times they're very aware they're being creepy assholes and they're intentionally trying to make you uncomfortable. 

Damn. That's so bloody terrible. :(

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Why do some people have to actually say it? I mean, better to remain silent and thought a fool, or a letch, etc... Did that exec think he was paying her a compliment?

I think they often do it because many young girls will see it as a compliment. Fishel did at the time. She only realized how creepy it was as an adult looking back. I think that is really common and why many are never aware of grooming behavior or only see the pattern years later. At the time it’s validation of how special you are that someone older and more experienced likes you. 

"As a kid, I always wanted to be older. I always wanted to be an adult. I wanted to be seen as an adult," Fishel said. "So getting adult male attention as a teenage girl felt like — I didn't think of it as being creepy or weird. I felt like it was validation that I was mature and I was an adult and I was capable and that they were seeing me the way I was, not for the number on a page. And in hindsight, that is absolutely wrong

Though she was initially taken aback by the exec's comment, she immediately thought what he had said was on the up and up "because we are peers, and this is how you relate to peers.'"

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Damn. That's so bloody terrible. :(

Yes there have been quite a few but the one who has really stood out to me over the years was a guy who would come into the library where I work, and he was incredibly gross to me and all my coworkers. He was also in a wheelchair and would try to use that as a shield. Like you weren't supposed to call him out on his poor behavior for that reason. Well, I did start calling him out on it.

And it became pretty clear that he knew exactly what he was doing and was absolutely baffled at someone confronting him. He wanted you to be uncomfortable and seemed to really get off on it. However, he did not want to be told he was an asshole. He stopped talking to me, and I think it was supposed to be punishment. 😂

In any event, I do agree with @Dani about them hoping you'll see it as a compliment instead of the gross power play it actually is. I didn't really start to pick up on it until I was in my mid-20s, and it's changed how I respond to it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 13

I agree that at that age, a lot of girls would think of it as a compliment. To be seen as adult. I sure would have although I don't recall it happening.

I don't have children and I often wonder what makes the difference between raising a girl to recognize it as the creepy behavior it is early on and thinking it's a compliment.

Some women never get over that and think any attention is a compliment. I used to have a friend like that.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

I don't have children and I often wonder what makes the difference between raising a girl to recognize it as the creepy behavior it is early on and thinking it's a compliment.

Some women never get over that and think any attention is a compliment. I used to have a friend like that.

I think telling them directly things like "that's creepy," "that's not good attention," and "compliments that make you feel bad about yourself aren't real compliments" rather than "oh that's just how boys show they like you" would be a great start. Also teaching them to think critically about how pop culture frames really toxic things as romantic. I'd also arguing teaching boys not to do those things is as important as teaching girls to be aware of them. 

My family was pretty good about teaching me I didn't have to take shit off of anyone. But they also really only framed that in physical terms. I really don't think it occurred to them that was a threat as well. I remember reading what negging was in my mid-20s and realizing the most significant relationship I've ever had revolved around him doing that to me a lot. I finally got tired of him after 5.5 years separate from that. But it would never have lasted past about 5 minutes of interaction if I'd known the way he spoke to me the first time we interacted socially was negging and was intended to erode my confidence. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Zella said:

negging was in my mid-20s

This is why I feel we are making progress. Very, very, very slowly and certainly not fast enough for my taste but when I was in my 20s, there wasn't even a word for negging in German. I don't know if there is one now. 

So, there wouldn't even have been a way to talk about it even if my parents had known how to address something like that.

I do remember finding comments of the husband of my mom's best friend about my height already annoying when I was 10. I don't think it was sexual, though. But then, I wouldn't have recognized that at that age.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, supposebly said:

This is why I feel we are making progress. Very, very, very slowly and certainly not fast enough for my taste but when I was in my 20s, there wasn't even a word for negging in German. I don't know if there is one now. 

That's true. I am not sure it was a word used or concept discussed in English until relatively recently. If it was, it certainly wasn't on my radar at all. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, supposebly said:

Same here. One day we were walking down the street where we work, kind of a sketchy part of town. Some creepy guys at the bus stop (a bus stop that generally smelt like pot and piss) whistled at us. I was grossed out and hurried past. She was flattered. That was the moment I realized we were very different people. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
16 hours ago, Zella said:

In any event, I do agree with @Dani about them hoping you'll see it as a compliment instead of the gross power play it actually is. I didn't really start to pick up on it until I was in my mid-20s, and it's changed how I respond to it. 

I've met people like that and they make the comments and if you try to ignore it they'll keep going with it, and if you protest they'll retreat to "I was just joking!  Don't be so serious!" (As a man, I've encountered it as general bullying rather than sexual harassment, but still).  I remember talking to a woman once and she told the advice from her father about dealing with gross comments:  Just calmly respond with "I don't get it" and make them actually explain what they're saying.

• Like 6
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Just calmly respond with "I don't get it" and make them actually explain what they're saying.

Yes that does work! With the guy in question, I told him his queries about my personal life were not welcome. He then tried to claim he was just trying to make conversation (no, you weren't, Tim), and I told him that his inability to do that without being inappropriate wasn't my problem. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 14
(edited)
4 hours ago, Lugal said:

I've met people like that and they make the comments and if you try to ignore it they'll keep going with it, and if you protest they'll retreat to "I was just joking!  Don't be so serious!" (As a man, I've encountered it as general bullying rather than sexual harassment, but still).  I remember talking to a woman once and she told the advice from her father about dealing with gross comments:  Just calmly respond with "I don't get it" and make them actually explain what they're saying.

I know that there's no zinger that will work for all folks or all situations but, as long as we're mentioning them one that might at least get some jerky guys to back off would be 'Is that how  your mother would like you to talk   to women/girls?'

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Zella said:

Also teaching them to think critically about how pop culture frames really toxic things as romantic. 

Much of my mom’s work involved domestic violence cases and this is the approach she took. Many songs were completely ruined for me because I couldn’t listen to them without seeing how codependent the lyrics were. Her general philosophy was that we could watch to anything but she was going to watch with us and raise issues and ask questions in the moment. 

6 hours ago, Lugal said:

That really is such good advice. Feigning ignorance can be so effective. They want the reaction. 

30 minutes ago, Dani said:

He general philosophy was that we could watch to anything but she was going to watch with us and raise issues and ask questions in the moment. 

Yes I think this is an active approach that is often missing. I have a coworker who would just ban her daughters from reading or watching anything she found objectionable, even when they were 12/13 years old and for some objectively pretty mild stuff. I am sure she did it as they were older too based on what she told me, and that doesn't teach them anything. My family had the opposite approach in that a lot of what I read especially wasn't censored at all--honestly, they couldn't keep up with my reading--but it also meant I came across a fair amount of crap that I was left to my own devices to ponder and puzzle out when I was too young to really do that. 

• Like 6

I'm not really familiar with this site, but here's another twist to the situation with Majors:

'Jonathan Majors files cross-complaint against his assault accuser'

Marvel's Jonathan Majors has filed an NYPD domestic violence complaint against his assault accuser and ex-girlfriend Grace Jabbari, in which he alleges that she attacked him, not the other way around, during a March 25 dispute on a Chinatown street corner.

Majors remains charged in that dispute, with Jabbari alleging the "Creed III" and Marvel's Kang the Conqueror actor broke her finger, twisted her arm, and struck her in the ear, causing it to bleed. Majors has denied the accusations. An August 3 trial date has been set in Jabbari's case against Majors.

But on June 21, the day after his last court date, Majors walked into the Chinatown precinct and gave police his own version of what actually happened that night — alleging that a "drunk and hysterical" Jabbari scratched, slapped, and grabbed at his face, causing pain and bleeding, according to a domestic incident report and sworn affidavit obtained by Insider.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Same here. One day we were walking down the street where we work, kind of a sketchy part of town. Some creepy guys at the bus stop (a bus stop that generally smelt like pot and piss) whistled at us. I was grossed out and hurried past. She was flattered. That was the moment I realized we were very different people. 

Same has happened to me with different friends. I roll my eyes and they loved the attention. 

• Like 4
On 6/27/2023 at 4:54 PM, Dani said:

This whole thing is going to be a mess. The defense is attempting to try the case in the press while the prosecution is saying nothing. Regardless of what the true story is, the standard defense tactics on display bother me. 

Oh I don’t know how much the prosecution needs to say after this Rolling Stone article detailing past “incidents”. And the details about the lawyers obtaining his “character witnesses” is very damning.

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh I don’t know how much the prosecution needs to say after this Rolling Stone article detailing past “incidents”. And the details about the lawyers obtaining his “character witnesses” is very damning.

I wondered how long it would be before something like that was published. How hard his lawyer was spinning the case and the previous leak about other women made me think the prosecution was sitting on something big. I couldn’t see any other reason they would even persist with such as high profile case unless there were a lot more details than what the defense was claiming. 

I’ll be interested to see how things work out for Mr. Majors and whether alleged prior bad acts will be admissible against him in court. I am always amazed when high profile people allow themselves to be around others, who they say are violent or unstable.  A man knows that he could be arrested on the word of an angry or unstable person, so why keep them in your company?  Are they just hoping it won’t happen?  If they are wrong, their career could end.  Why take that risk?  It’s crazy. How does he know his current girlfriend won’t allege he’s violent?  

• Like 2

That Rolling Stones article is pretty damning. 

One woman who dated Majors was strangled and physically and emotionally abused, nine sources familiar with their relationship claim. At first, the sources say, Majors was romantic with the woman before becoming more manipulative and volatile. The situation became “really extreme abuse, physically and mentally,” one source claims, and allegedly escalated to the point of “him strangling her.” Two sources claim she tried to leave multiple times and had an exit plan at one point, but remained in the relationship. 

Majors emotionally abused a second woman he was dating, nine people familiar with their relationship allege. The woman said her relationship with Majors was “emotional torture,” according to one source. Though the woman told friends at the time Majors was never physically abusive with her, she said there were moments of “near violence” where he would “get filled with rage,” says the source the woman confided in. The woman told the source that Majors would say he “needed to hit something or punch a wall or something of that nature.”

7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And the details about the lawyers obtaining his “character witnesses” is very damning.

That part was interesting. It reminds me of the released text messages that his lawyers claimed proved he was the victim but raised even more red flags for many. Six statements from women. One said the statement was false, three said they never gave permission for a statement to be released, one didn’t respond and the only one who would speak on his behalf dated Majors from 13-18. And those are the people his own lawyer named to speak on his behalf.

13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

when high profile people allow themselves to be around others, who they say are violent or unstable.

If your claim is everyone you ever dated is "crazy" or "violent and unstable" maybe you should look at the common factor -- YOU.   BIG RED FLAG when they say to new GF "Oh don't listen to her, she just crazy."   Because guess what, he will be saying it about you when things go south.

• Like 14
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If your claim is everyone you ever dated is "crazy" or "violent and unstable" maybe you should look at the common factor -- YOU.   BIG RED FLAG when they say to new GF "Oh don't listen to her, she just crazy."   Because guess what, he will be saying it about you when things go south.

EXCELLENT!  Even giving someone the benefit of the doubt that they are simply 'kook magnets' for no reason whatsoever, what possible benefit could there be for a newbie re sticking with  them?!

Yeah, I'll bet that a good number of the exes  in these toxic deals being retroed as 'crazy' or 'violent and unstable' had ALSO heard that re the previous exes!

• Like 5
13 hours ago, merylinkid said:

If your claim is everyone you ever dated is "crazy" or "violent and unstable" maybe you should look at the common factor -- YOU.

The Raylan Givens principle: "If you meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, you're the asshole."

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Even giving someone the benefit of the doubt that they are simply 'kook magnets

If you are a "kook magnet" maybe you should ask yourself WHY?   I mean in the way of allegedly dangerous folks, not quirky folks who are fun to have around and would never harm a soul.   If you also seem to date "crazy" chicks maybe its YOU.

• Like 3
  • Applause 6

How Colleen Ballinger (Miranda Sings) Destroyed Her Career

She posted a response that people assumed would be an apology but instead was one of the most baffling tone deaf videos I have ever seen. Why is she singing about an accusation that she groomed minors?!   Basically she claims it’s not true, then it is true but not a big deal (discussing in detail her sex life [what toys she uses, sex positions…etc}, asking them sexual questions, sending her bra and panties to a 13 year old, having an underage girl lie down on stage while she spread her legs in front of the crowd [which she minimizes by calling it just a fart joke], calling underage boys on to the stage and asking them to reach into her pants to get snacks she placed in front of her crotch, she claims her conversations were 5 years ago when she only stopped participating in the group chat with minors a couple of weeks ago, its the parents of the kids fault, it was just a mistake, and it’s not true once again.

Anyway I am sharing the video through one of the kids impacted instead of directly  through her youtube channel.  He’s 20 now but was 13 years old when he and Colleen starting communicating and she was 30 years old.

I think the craziest thing about it is there’s so much evidence of inappropriate behavior to the point that she was including it in her live act on stage.  Why did parents and the general public see this and not get concerned? Why when accusations came out 3 years ago was the response to harass the boy who came forward rather than investigate her behavior? She’s making millions while he got death threats because her fans don’t want to hear that she did anything wrong.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 12
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I must be old. I have not idea who this person is.  But just reading about her makes me think I'm better off not knowing who she is.

I'd never heard of her before either until I started seeing about this controversy. 

I'm in my early 30s, and it was a couple of years ago that I started hearing about celebrities that I was like "WHO?!" Before then, there were a lot of them I'd never watched in a project, but I still knew who they were. But now, it's a better chance that I have never heard of them than not, and I'm online a lot and read a fair amount about celebrities. The Try Guys--whom I almost called the Wife Guys just now before remembering the disgraced one was the wife guy---are also in this category. LOLOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 10
58 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'd never heard of her before either until I started seeing about this controversy. 

I'm in my early 30s, and it was a couple of years ago that I started hearing about celebrities that I was like "WHO?!" Before then, there were a lot of them I'd never watched in a project, but I still knew who they were. But now, it's a better chance that I have never heard of them than not, and I'm online a lot and read a fair amount about celebrities. The Try Guys--whom I almost called the Wife Guys just now before remembering the disgraced one was the wife guy---are also in this category. LOLOL 

I only know of the Try Guys because they were discussed on one of these threads.

I am content to not know who all these new "celebs" are.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2

Colleen/Miranda Sings had a Netflix show, a bestselling children’s book, and multiple live shows.   There’s been this perception that she’s a kid friendly performer which allowed her to get away with a lot of inappropriate behavior because people assumed she was safe.  Parents do have to pay closer attention to the content their kids are watching.  Her Netflix show was labeled pg but includes multiple examples of sexual innuendo.

This is a review of her Netflix show that points out the examples of how the show was inappropriate for kids despite the pg rating.

Hater’s back Off

I don’t think she was trying to have sex with children.  I think she got off on sneaking sexual content to children underneath their parents noses.  For example she had a page in her book of a tutorial of how to draw a hot dog that a parent probably wouldn’t see a problem with but she tells her underage fans that it’s secretly supposed to be a vagina.  I think she enjoyed being hero worshipped by these kids and having scandalous secrets with them.  She also liked to tell them about people who wronged her which would lead these adults and kids in her special online chat to go on the war path towards those she considered enemies.  She doesn’t have to directly bully anyone because her favored fans would do it for her giving her deniability.  She tells herself it’s okay because she’s doesn’t have sex with them, but she’s still exposing kids to sexual content.  I do think she’s deriving some sort of thrill from it.  I don’t know if it’s sexual or some sort of power trip.  I still don’t know what to make of the content of her live shows that was done blatantly in front of the audience.  Why did the parents of the 9 year old asked get snacks by putting his hands in her pants allow this?   Why didn’t any of the adults at the live show accept this? 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5

There’s been more evidence released regarding Colleen.  She has been friendly with Trisha Paytas and they recently started a podcast together that abruptly stopped posting when the current controversy started.  Trisha is a very controversial online personality.  She has said and done some incredibly offensive things.    So the concern when they started working together was that Trishas would damage Colleen’s reputation and it was kinda implied that Trisha should be grateful that Colleen was willing to be friends and work with her.

In addition to her Youtube channel, Trisha is also a sex worker on OnlyFans.  Evidence has come out that Colleen was sharing Trisha’s pornographic videos and pictures with her fans so they could make fun of Trisha’s looks.  The one who posted the evidence was around 20 years old when he received the pictures and messages and attended watch parties Colleen would have to make fun of Trisha.  One of her fans who was 14 at the time says he was also sent the pornographic material which takes things to a criminal area.  An adult can’t show pornography to a minor.

I wanted to ask if anyone was knowledgeable about the legal issues.  The 14 year old is 20 now and so is there a statute of limitation on this which would mean Colleen can’t be prosecuted?   Also she’s in the US and he’s in Ireland.  Which country has jurisdiction? 

Trisha has now responded to the situation and the man who was 14 at the time of these events has responded.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 2
39 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Wait a minute. This person had watch parties specifically to ridicule this other person, and then started doing a podcast with her?

Yes,  Five or six years ago Colleen would play Trisha’s Only Fans videos with friends  and share nude pictures of her in text messages to mock her.  They knew each other but weren’t close friends then.  It’s really cruel how she befriended this person knowing she’d been making fun of her.  Then, she tries to blame the 14 year old for it.  But one of Colleen’s ex fans came forward with proof of his text exchanges regarding the porn and mockery establishing Colleen was the one sending the photos around and instigating the situation.  Trisha is an easy target because people don’t like her due to her history of being an internet troll starting controversy.  That still doesn’t justify making her body the target of jokes and especially of including minors in it.  Criticism of Trisha’s behavior is fine but her looks aren’t why she has a problematic reputation. I’m not a Trisha fan, but she didn’t deserve this.

In the last couple of years Trisha and Colleen became friends and they started doing the podcast together which stopped suddenly when people started speaking out about Colleen’s behavior with minors.  Also Trisha has mellowed a bit and isn’t constantly saying offensive things online all the time like she used to.  I do think Colleen could be in serious legal trouble if the evidence she shared the porn with a minor is still accessible.  I really want to see a law enforcement response to this.  

• Mind Blown 5

I am absolutely fascinated by this Miranda Sings person, that is, in a horrified way.  I’m old and I’d never heard of her. I read about this controversy in Vulture yesterday, and I just couldn’t believe it, then I watched a bit of her videos.  She wears smeared red lipstick and red sweatpants with the phrase haters back off on her rear end. She looks like she is wearing a diaper under the sweatpants. She was wandering around NYC and having strange encounters and grimacing at the camera with those red lips. It’s not funny. I suppose kids like to think they’re in on something transgressive.  Supposedly she started as a teen performer so she was the same age as the audience, but now she is inappropriate as a much older performer. Creepy AF. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I’m old and I’d never heard of her.

I used to think it was sad when there were "celebs" I had never heard of.  I thought it meant that yes I was getting old and I wasn't "with it" anymore. As if I ever was. But if it's people like her that have somehow slipped by me I'm going to consider that a win.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4

I know her only because she appeared briefly in the Broadway musical Waitress and her fan geeks ruined the show by recording her on their phones, and she actively encouraged it.  

For those who don't know:  recording in a Broadway theatre is illegal, and also majorly annoying to everyone around you, as well as to the performers.  

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, Quof said:

I know her only because she appeared briefly in the Broadway musical Waitress and her fan geeks ruined the show by recording her on their phones, and she actively encouraged it.  

For those who don't know:  recording in a Broadway theatre is illegal, and also majorly annoying to everyone around you, as well as to the performers.  

Wow, how did she get cast in that? Was it stunt casting, like when they cast Nene from the Atlanta Housewives in Cinderella?

• Like 4