Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

(edited)

It’s a shame. I did like Ezra’s version of The Flash before I found out they were a creep. Under other circumstances I would’ve liked to see the movie, but under no circumstances will I pay a dime for it now. I don’t give a fuck how good the reviews are.

I have never wanted a movie to flop so hard in my life. It rankles how the same people tried to sabotage The Little Mermaid for petty and/or racist reasons will probably flock to the theaters for this. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 13
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

DAMMIT.   Amazing how some people just keep getting away with it.   Time aftere time.   And then when someone winds up dead they go "there were no warnings signs how could we have known?"   Its not like they is going to stop now that they have definitely learned there are no consequence they can't buy their way out of.

In this country, you’re entitled to the best  legal defense you can pay for. Those who can’t pay get very little help.  It’s sickening. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
On 5/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, Dani said:

Exactly this is particularly true when it comes to movies. I grew up in the 80’s and am frequently shocked by the things I saw in PG movies. The shower scene in Sixteen Candles comes to mind. Movies of the 70’s and 80’s did a lot of things you would never see in a most theatrical releases today. 

I haven't looked the same way at Sixteen Candles in a very long time. The shower scene but also Jake Ryan, the "hottie hero" pawning off his passed-out girlfriend Caroline on The Geek and the decidedly non-consensual sex that happened. See also: Revenge of the Nerds with Lewis raping Betty in the funhouse. Not to mention the cameras in the Pi house and the nude photos they used to sell their whipped cream pies. So much ick!

• Like 7
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 5

I don't know whether anybody is even interested but I read today that they are not charging Armie Hammer with rape.  This is after a years long investigation. I used to like this actor before he destroyed his life and career when his sexual err habits became public.  I always doubted that he was actually guilty of rape but that doesn't change my feeling of ickiness when his name comes to mind.

I think he is a cautionary tale of choosing your partners wisely and with discretion when you are into kink.

• Like 1

I never bothered with Miller's version and wouldn't have seen it regardless.

However, for those who ARE fans of the character of the Flash and are furious with the company for keeping Miller, could a boycott of said company help give them incentive to get rid of Miller and find someone among the tens of thousands of semi-employed/unemployed performers who'd gratefully do the job without evidently engaging in  dubious offtask activities possibly putting others in harm's way?

• Love 2

Surprised nobody's brought this up yet. I debating placing it under this topic or Disappointed, but it certainly fits 'other aggressions'. 

“Lost” showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse accused of racism, toxicity and more that allegedly occurred during the making of the ABC hit series in Maureen Ryan’s new book, Burn It Down.

It's bad. Really, really bad. The author did extensive research. Lindelof acknowledges he failed people, while also claiming he has no memory of specific instances saying horrific things that were independently verified by different interviewees. Cuse also denies things.

Owusu-Breen also recalled how she and her writing partner were tasked with killing off Mr. Eko, who was played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje....“Carlton said something to the effect of, ‘I want to hang him from the highest tree. God, if we could only cut his dick off and shove it down his throat,’” Owusu-Breen recalled. “At which point I said, ‘You may want to temper the lynching imagery, lest you offend.’ And I was very clearly angry.”

Cuse responded to Ryan by saying “I never, ever made that statement above, and this exchange never happened. To further add to this lie and suggest that someone was fired as a result of a statement that I never made is completely false,” adding that the implication is “completely outrageous.”

Here's the original excerpt direct from the book in Vanity Fair. I can't possible quote every terrible thing she details but I'm glad I thought the show was bad and never watched more than a few episodes. If you haven't, read the whole thing. 

Most people I’ve spoken to for this book are veterans of film and television productions where off-color humor, barbed banter, and incisive, even stinging, comments are common. None have a real problem with those things, in the right settings and proportions. In fact, humor is not just a form of creativity, it can serve as a necessary pressure-relief valve. And a large percentage of people in the industry, when they go too far, apologize and alter their behavior.

However, even for experienced professionals, what occurred at Lost crossed or obliterated most lines...Both showrunners tolerated or even encouraged the overall atmosphere, but its descent into a realm that many sources described in very negative terms appeared to arise from a couple of powerful factors: the “sense of humor” that Lindelof appeared to enjoy and the showrunners’ status as all-powerful entities no one could cross. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Surprised nobody's brought this up yet. I debating placing it under this topic or Disappointed, but it certainly fits 'other aggressions'. 

This is also being discussed in the Race & Ethnicity topic.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

'Bill Cosby Faces Rape Suit From Longtime Accuser Victoria Valentino'

... A frequent attendee to Cosby’s criminal trials in Pennsylvania in 2017 and 2018 over the rape of onetime Temple University employee Andrea Constand, Valentino went public in 2014 with her tale of being attacked by Cosby decades before. Seeking a variety of damages, Valentino’s lawyers Jeff Anderson and Mick Ruck were able to file today’s graphic suit against Cosby, his agents, assistants and others under a recent California law lifted the statute of limitations on civil sex assault cases. That law is set to expire at the end of this year. ...

• Like 10
On 6/1/2023 at 5:08 AM, merylinkid said:

WB must still believe Miller can bring in the $$$ or they would have cut them in a heartbeat.

The Mel Gibson gambit:  "You've done awful things, but you made us a lot of money so we'll just forget about it."

21 hours ago, AstridM said:

In this country, you’re entitled to the best  legal defense you can pay for. Those who can’t pay get very little help.  It’s sickening.

Guilty until proven rich.

• Like 8
(edited)

I'd like to weigh in on The Idol  in this thread.  I tried watching last night so I could judge for myself, and it was even more disturbing than they even conveyed by the reviews, and I turned it off.  I had also been unable to watch same showrunner's Euphoria.  It's about exploitation, and the actress (LR Depp) is actually exploited. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5
  • Sad 4
31 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'd like to weigh in on The Idol  in this thread.  I tried watching last night so I could judge for myself, and it was even more disturbing than they even conveyed by the reviews, and I turned it off.  I had also been unable to watch same showrunner's Euphoria.  It's about exploitation, and the actress (LR Depp) is actually exploited. 

Thanks for the heads up.  I watched all of Euphoria, so I know what that was.  I’ll try to watch The Idol, but probably won’t last long.  I’ve seen more scathing stories recently.

Can someone give me their idea of why a certain person has certain people on her Instagram page?   Ok, after I read about the Masterson rape convictions, I took a look at info on his wife (Bijou Phillips) who has a tragic history, along with her older sister McKenzie Phillips. They are daughters of the famous singer John Phillips.  McKenzie wrote a book describing her rape as a young girl by her father.  So, today McKenzie seems to be doing well, but on her IA she has photos of her father, Robert Blake (actor acquitted of murdering his wife) and Blake Shelton!  I’m trying to figure this out.  Any idea what this is all about?

• Mind Blown 5
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

What the hell is wrong with some people, that they classify others only as haveable or even useful or not?

Because women (even underaged ones) must appeal to the male gaze to have value, doncha know? 😡

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
(edited)
On 6/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh PUH-LEAZE. Two Words: Grant Gustin.

STFU, Muschietti.

I'm beginning to believe Erza Miller is secretly a descendant of the original Warner Brothers. This side of the family tightly held on to ironclad documentation they would always have a say in the company's business, no matter to who, and how many times, it was sold.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, AstridM said:

Because women (even underaged ones) must appeal to the male gaze to have value, doncha know? 😡

Yeah, I know. It's just endlessly frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
20 hours ago, Jaded said:

Elle Fanning Recalls Being Called "Unf*ckable" by Hollywood Execs at 16: "So Disgusting"

This is a link to the Hollywood Reporter Roundtable where she mentioned the incident.

No 16 year old should be considered fuckable by a group of execs. It shouldn't even be something mostly middle aged men should be thinking or discussing. (I'm assuming it was mostly middle aged men because, well, Hollywood Execs.)

Women shouldn't be judged by how many men want to put it in her, but it is even more horrifying when the woman in question is still a teenage girl. 

Just...EEEEEW

• Like 5
  • Fire 5
  • Applause 8
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, AstridM said:

It really, really is. 

I wish there was a good way to make the predators and such suffer for their actions. Drag them into the spotlight, give them a good beating, confiscate their assets. Yeah, there's court. But it's a very slow process with no promises at the end. I can't think of a way to legally speed the process up and make it more reliable.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

No 16 year old should be considered fuckable by a group of execs. It shouldn't even be something mostly middle aged men should be thinking or discussing. (I'm assuming it was mostly middle aged men because, well, Hollywood Execs.)

Women shouldn't be judged by how many men want to put it in her, but it is even more horrifying when the woman in question is still a teenage girl. 

Just...EEEEEW

Most deccent middle aged men will go "ewww, that's my daughter's age, ewwww."   But Hollywood execs are pigs.    Which is why Weinstein got away with it for so long, the others were doing it too and didn't want to have to stop.

• Sad 7
  • Fire 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Oh that will go well.   I am sure it will be commpletely above board and fair and balanced.

What an idiot! Most have forgotten all about him. But maybe that's the problem; he wants to get back in the game. Oh well. Thanks for the reminder, Bryan!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8
8 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

What an idiot! Most have forgotten all about him. But maybe that's the problem; he wants to get back in the game.

Yeah, according to the article, he's pitching other projects in addition to the documentary:

Now, Singer is quietly plotting a comeback and has been pitching industryites on a slate of films. Sources say the director, who catapulted to A-list status with his twisty 1995 crime film “The Usual Suspects,” is looking to return to his lower-budget auteur roots with three narrative features set in and around Israel, where he has been living in recent years. Singer, who is working without an agent, has been meeting with would-be investors about backing the films, one of which is set in the 1970s. They would be made for $10 million apiece. Jason Taylor, who previously served as president of production at Singer’s Bad Hat Harry Prods., is producing the films.

• Mind Blown 3
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, according to the article, he's pitching other projects in addition to the documentary:

Those wannabee producers either must be considering any projects Singer proposes to be HUGE tax write-offs due to their likely bombitus and/or they couldn't care less about how their OWN reps could be trashed supporting him.

Sakes, why don't more folks heed my Nana's teaching of 'if you lay down with dogs, you'll awaken with fleas.'?( with apologies in advance to all bona fide canines and fleas).

• Like 6
12 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Ted Lasso Fudge GIF by Apple TV

Since the original source is in Spanish I went looking for more details and the only English sites covering it are very clickbaity with an obvious agenda so I don’t want to give them any views. Even discussing film doesn’t have their own article and has turned off comments on the tweet. Weird. 

Danny Masterson’s lawyers sanctioned for sharing info with a lawyer for the Church of Scientology

Los Angeles County Judge Charlaine Olmedo, who presided over both of Masterson’s criminal trials, hit Mesereau and Applebaum with fines for sharing discovery materials from the criminal case with Vicki Podberesky, an attorney who was defending the church in a separate civil suit filed by Masterson’s accusers, according to court documents. The court says that the lawyers were aware of the court’s “repeated directives and orders to refrain from providing criminal discovery to litigants and attorney’s in the civil case.”...

Mesereau and Applebaum represented Masterson when the actor was first arrested and accused in 2020 of raping three women at his Hollywood Hills home between 2001 and 2003. As such, Mesereau and Applebaum had “sole possession of the criminal discovery” from at least Sept. 2020 through November 2021 after which time they continued to represent him along with additional counsel through May 2022, according to court documents...

Among other things, Olmedo ruled Mesereau and Applebaum gave Podberesky and church officials the addresses of the women Masterson was later convicted of raping along with confidential police reports.

The women claimed in their testimony in the criminal case that the Church of Scientology harassed them after they went to the police with rape allegations about Masterson.

The women should at the very least file ethical complaints against both lawyers, if not sue. 

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

‘The Idol’ Aired ‘The Worst Sex Scene In History,’ According To GQ — And Twitter

It was so uncomfortable to watch and so laden with male-gaze absurdity that GQ dubbed it “the worst sex scene in history” on Monday. In the magazine’s article criticizing the unsexy sex scene, GQ describes Tesfaye’s performance as having “all the energy and sexual enticement of Gollum scurrying for a fish” and “leaving the heavy lifting to its lead starlet who bears all the brunt of trying to titillate the audience while telling us that women like to be exploited, actually.”...

Sources told Rolling Stone that the show took a turn for the worse when Levinson took over directing duties from Amy Seimetz of “The Girlfriend Experience” and “She Dies Tomorrow,” who suddenly left after roughly 80% of the six-episode series was finished. The sources said that under Levinson’s leadership, the show’s initial message about “a woman who was finding herself sexually” morphed into a story about “a man who gets to abuse this woman and she loves it.”

Tesfaye (The Weeknd) explains it all away as being illustrative of the character.

“How ever you’re feeling watching that scene, whether it’s discomfort, or you feel gross, or you feel embarrassed for the characters. It’s all those emotions adding up to: This guy is in way over his head, this situation is one where he is not supposed to be here,” Tesfaye said of Tedros....

He added that the sex scene was supposed to act as a glimpse into who Tedros truly is.

“He can’t believe he’s there. He comes off like such a loser,” Tesfaye said. “Those moments are the humanity that you find in a psychopath, the c**** in his armor.”

Blah, blah, "This is really art" blah, blah, blah.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
21 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

‘The Idol’ Aired ‘The Worst Sex Scene In History,’ According To GQ — And Twitter

Tesfaye (The Weeknd) explains it all away as being illustrative of the character.

Blah, blah, "This is really art" blah, blah, blah.

I almost want to see it now, but I know how much I dislike cringe entertainment so I'll resist. Still, maybe that's what they were going for? The morbidly curious viewers?

• Like 3