Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

Highly respected NBC journalist Brian Williams got removed for exaggerating and outright making up stories about his reporting. He expressed remorse, actually worked on himself while off the air, and because he wasn't involved in a sex scandal NBC gave him another chance. Granted on a cable channel not the main network but he was able to regain his reputation and eventually retire on his own terms to much fanfare. Things being as they are, if Lauer had publicly shown an ounce of repentance, announced he was going to therapy to deal with his issues, even acknowledged he had issues, apologized for his actions - he would probably already be given some kind of program. He can't even muster up the fake remorse to pretend, because he still can't grasp he did anything wrong. 

Convicted pedophile Gary Glitter released from prison after serving half his sentence. Apparently that's standard in the UK. He will be on probation, is already on their sex offenders registry and have a GPS monitor. I predict he will violate his parole and be back in jail in less than a year. 

• Like 9
47 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Convicted pedophile Gary Glitter released from prison after serving half his sentence. Apparently that's standard in the UK. He will be on probation, is already on their sex offenders registry and have a GPS monitor. I predict he will violate his parole and be back in jail in less than a year. 

He's not going to have a good time of it in public.  Hasn't his name become Cockney rhyming slang for a toilet?

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

God forbid the pedophile serve his entire sentence. Then again it would happen here in the US too.

• Sad 14
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

He can't even muster up the fake remorse to pretend, because he still can't grasp he did anything wrong. 

And its everyone else's fault.   HOW dare Katie Couric tell the truth about him in her book.   Doesn't she know it would cost him opportunities to come back?   

She shared messages between them.   Which means these are HIS ACTUAL WORDS, yet its her fault.   He really does not grasp how bad his own behavior is.

• Like 5
  • Applause 7
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, SVNBob said:

He's not going to have a good time of it in public.  Hasn't his name become Cockney rhyming slang for a toilet?

Gary Glitter is not going to be able to leave his home without being subjected to public abuse.  He is viewed by the general public as a disgusting POS.  He was probably safer in prison; the British public has been outspoken in their derision.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

And its everyone else's fault.   HOW dare Katie Couric tell the truth about him in her book.   Doesn't she know it would cost him opportunities to come back?   

She shared messages between them.   Which means these are HIS ACTUAL WORDS, yet its her fault.   He really does not grasp how bad his own behavior is.

I don't believe Miss Couric  told 'the truth' about Mr. Lauer in her book. Granted, she reproduced some (but likely not all)  of his messages.

However, the way she consistently dissed other women colleagues and admitted considering them rivals (thus deliberately putting blinders on instead of pondering if they might have needed her help) the entire time she was employed by NBC and it wasn't until Mr. Lauer got fired by NBC that she considered dumping him as a friend. Never forget that in her autobio she REPEATED sans apology a rather tasteless joke she'd publicly told debasing the soon-to-be-fired Ann Curry at Mr. Lauer's expense at the latter's 'roast' as well as still considered it to have been cute for Mr. Lauer to have pinched her on her backside the whole time they worked together. AND never forget Miss Couric's own office was right next to Mr. Lauer's so unless she was totally deaf and blind, she'd have had to at least hear and see the aftermath of women colleagues departing his office! IOW, like a 'good' German living  next to a concentration camp IMO Miss Couric only saw what she wanted to see so she could continue to reap the 'fringe benefits' because she literally couldn't have cared less about victims and wanted to avoid all accountability.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 2

Armie Hammer is also trying to mount a comeback.  Publications are putting out these "Will you please feel sorry for him?" stories.  It's so pathetic.   Just go somewhere and live your life. Why do you need fame on top of it?

I'm not going to link to that, but if you're interested in his supposed downfall it's here

https://www.vox.com/culture/22338844/armie-hammer-rape-accusation-effie-cannibalism-explained

I saw some more interesting articles on the side bar

https://www.vox.com/culture/23581859/me-too-backlash-susan-faludi-weinstein-roe-dobbs-depp-heard

https://www.vox.com/culture/23585077/pamela-a-love-story-netflix-anderson-documentary

Edited my original post because my main point is not coming across the way I intended.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Armie Hammer is also trying to mount a comeback.  Publications are putting out these "Will you please feel sorry for him?" stories.  It's so pathetic.  Isn't he like, extremely old money rich?  Just go somewhere and live your life. Why do you need fame on top of it?

He's also being super selective about the accusations he's responding to. So, he's framing some of them within the context of "Yes I was taking advantage of these women and unkind to them, but I was doing it because I was abused as a child" while also not responding to many of the more severe allegations. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 9
12 minutes ago, Zella said:

He's also being super selective about the accusations he's responding to. So, he's framing some of them within the context of "Yes I was taking advantage of these women and unkind to them, but I was doing it because I was abused as a child" while also not responding to many of the more severe allegations. 

Very good points.  I have no doubt that he has the best PR money can buy.

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Armie Hammer is also trying to mount a comeback.  Publications are putting out these "Will you please feel sorry for him?" stories.  It's so pathetic.  Isn't he like, extremely old money rich?  Just go somewhere and live your life. Why do you need fame on top of it?

I'm not going to link to that, but if you're interested in his supposed downfall it's here

https://www.vox.com/culture/22338844/armie-hammer-rape-accusation-effie-cannibalism-explained

I saw some more interesting articles on the side bar

https://www.vox.com/culture/23581859/me-too-backlash-susan-faludi-weinstein-roe-dobbs-depp-heard

https://www.vox.com/culture/23585077/pamela-a-love-story-netflix-anderson-documentary

I hate that Armie Hammer used to be my celeb crush. 

Regarding his family $, it's true he comes from serious money, but I read he was cut off.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I hate that Armie Hammer used to be my celeb crush. 

Regarding his family $, it's true he comes from serious money, but I read he was cut off.

I read that he was cut off too and estranged from his father when he died. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Jaded said:

I don't know whether Armie had a trust fund, but the entire Hammer family has, for generations, been feuding and cutting one another out of wills, etc; so I think it is certainly possible that Armie didn't have a trust fund and that he didn't inherit from his father.

Armie's great grandfather got ticked off at his grandfather and cut him out of his will, leaving everything to Armie's father.  It could be that history repeated itself.  His stepmom is fighting with his brother over his father's estate now.  

The whole family is seriously messed up.

Discovery+ has a documentary called House of Hammer that lays it all out.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, Jaded said:

Last year, TMZ has photos of him selling timeshares in the Caymans so it is probably true that his father cut him off.
Given the timing of his reappearance in the press, he may have inherited something when his father died in November. 

On 2/5/2023 at 11:53 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't believe that.  Also he's over 18.  His trust fund was sent to him ages ago.

No idea about Armie, but a lot of trust funds come to kids in stages. A sum at 18, or at 25, another later, or on marriage, etc etc etc. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Well, he's passed all those stages.  Regardless, I tried to Google Armie Hammer net worth but it's only coming up as $100,000.  I really have a lot of trouble believing this.

And regardless of THAT, my main point is that I just want Armie Hammer to go away.  Even if he's worth $100K.   Or even if he's destitute.  If he's sexually assaulted people, he doesn't deserve to be in the public eye anymore.  I don't care how much he is or isn't worth.  It is and always has been a moot point, I simply brought it up because I thought he was dirt rich.  Whether dirt rich or dirt poor, I don't care.  He can go away.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 6
  • Applause 4

Here's an intersection I didn't see coming, from the Roiland article above.

Meanwhile, in a move that concerned many in Roiland’s orbit, he began being managed by enigmatic industry rep Sam Lutfi in late 2017. Insiders say Lutfi, best known for his controversial business associations with Courtney Love, Amanda Bynes and Britney Spears, once actively sought to become a producer on Rick and Morty, which the other producers resisted. (Lutfi did not respond to requests for comment.)

I remember when he was involved with Britney, supposedly as her manager but I  think there was some question if he legally was. Lots of accusations he was just using her, stealing her money, was possibly abusing her, and then she (or really her conservators) got restraining orders to keep him away. That was a whole saga of whackiness all by itself. 

• Useful 3

I saw this article and it kind of made me think of this thread. In it Alison Brie talks about how she likes to be naked, sometimes takes her clothes off before it is time to shoot a nude scene and even likes streaking through a hotel. One thing I thought was interesting is how the article treats is as a funny character trait. While in this thread there have been several other accounts of entertainment people exposing themselves to other people and it wasn't thought of as something like that at all.

1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

and even likes streaking through a hotel.

As Ray Stevens would say, "Don't look, Ethel!" (showing my age here). 

I remember when this was a fad and some fool did it at the Academy Awards, and another fool did it in my high school cafeteria.  I think mostly back then it was considered funny and stupid, maybe a little edgy,  but not something that people would consider to be harassment.  Given the changing times I am guessing people might feel differently now though.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I saw this article and it kind of made me think of this thread. In it Alison Brie talks about how she likes to be naked, sometimes takes her clothes off before it is time to shoot a nude scene and even likes streaking through a hotel. One thing I thought was interesting is how the article treats is as a funny character trait. While in this thread there have been several other accounts of entertainment people exposing themselves to other people and it wasn't thought of as something like that at all.

There is certainly a bit of a societal double standard where women getting naked is acceptable (probably because men like looking at naked women so they don't object) while men getting naked is considered pervy (probably because men tend to have more power so women feel they can't object). 

Most of the complaints seem to be against men getting their junk out around others. I can't think of any complaints where a woman got naked and someone complained. I could be wrong, and I'm sure there are cases of it, I just can't think of any, while off the top of my head: John Barrowman, Chris Pratt, Tim Allen all got their cocks out around co-workers who eventually felt safe enough to make a complaint about it.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

There is certainly a bit of a societal double standard where women getting naked is acceptable (probably because men like looking at naked women so they don't object) while men getting naked is considered pervy (probably because men tend to have more power so women feel they can't object). 

Most of the complaints seem to be against men getting their junk out around others. I can't think of any complaints where a woman got naked and someone complained. I could be wrong, and I'm sure there are cases of it, I just can't think of any, while off the top of my head: John Barrowman, Chris Pratt, Tim Allen all got their cocks out around co-workers who eventually felt safe enough to make a complaint about it.  

The only time I have seen people complain about women exposing their bodies is when some asshole says women shouldn't breastfeed in public. 

For the record I don't want to see anyone's male or female naked body unless I want to.  Such as a sexual partner. 

• Like 11

If a guy got completely naked, I wouldn't feel harassed. Annoyed probably. Same with a woman who gets naked in an in inappropriate setting. Whipping your cock out however does feel more like harassment to me.

Being completely naked implies some kind of vulnerability. Whipping your cock out feels like the proverbial flasher with the trench coat. Threatening.

Edited by supposebly
  • Like 15
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

While in this thread there have been several other accounts of entertainment people exposing themselves to other people and it wasn't thought of as something like that at all.

Male streakers get laughed at too.

The examples in this thread are of men whipping out their dicks (and often only their dicks) at people and with the intent that they're seen. Regardless of how people feel about streaking, it's a different vibe compared to exposing yourself.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 10

Brett Butler flashed her breasts at the actor playing her oldest son.   It was one of the reasons for the cancellation of the show.   He did not like it, didn't find it funny and did feel harassed.

But yeah, that's all I got.   Maybe because women tend NOT to go flashing our bodies around in inappropriate places?  I mean look how Pam Anderson got treated - oh you posed in Playboy, so talking about your breasts and exposing myself around you is fair game now.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Male streakers get laughed at too.

The examples in this thread are of men whipping out their dicks (and often only their dicks) at people and with the intent that they're seen. Regardless of how people feel about streaking, it's a different vibe compared to exposing yourself.

I don't know I am sure Chris Pratt thought that flashing people on Parks and Rec was funny (but any stories and talk of that doesn't really focus on that) and Alison Brie thinks that streaking in a hotel is funny. There is obviously a double standard since my first thought after reading that story is that I stay at the wrong hotels. But I also get that there are people who would not want to unexpectedly see other people naked regardless of who they are.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I don't know I am sure Chris Pratt thought that flashing people on Parks and Rec was funny (but any stories and talk of that doesn't really focus on that) and Alison Brie thinks that streaking in a hotel is funny. There is obviously a double standard since my first thought after reading that story is that I stay at the wrong hotels. But I also get that there are people who would not want to unexpectedly see other people naked regardless of who they are.

There have been lots for stories that focus on what Chris Pratt did as funny. We only know it happened because Pratt thought it was a funny story to tell on talk shows and it was reported in that same vein. It took a few years for people to begin to point out the problem. The same is true about Barrowman. There was a Doctor Who special that included a line in a song about him having his cock out. It was laughed at because thinking about it from the perspective of people who didn’t want to see their dicks didn’t happen.

I don’t consider Alison Brie (or anyone) streaking in a hotel to be equivalent to the other instances mentioned here. Both involve nudity but streaking isn’t a sexualized action. It may be inappropriate or illegal but it’s not harassment. It also wasn’t in her workplace.

Brie’s other story is closer to what the men have been accused of but there are still key differences. She was on a movie set before filming her nude scene. Every person who saw her would have come to work that day knowing they were going to see her naked. They consented to seeing her naked as part of the job which was not the case in the instances that are drawing criticism. 

18 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

The only time I have seen people complain about women exposing their bodies is when some asshole says women shouldn't breastfeed in public. 

For the record I don't want to see anyone's male or female naked body unless I want to.  Such as a sexual partner. 

Gotta love America where couples will even go to "titty bars" together, and tit-themed restaurants are considered family friendly, but breastfeeding is controversial. Gloria Steinem said women's bodies are seen as ornamentation, not instruments, and it's so true. 

Same. If we don't have a sexual relationship, please keep your clothes on around me, especially at work. 

• Like 16
  • Sad 3
On 2/11/2023 at 9:15 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

But I also get that there are people who would not want to unexpectedly see other people naked regardless of who they are.

True but we don't know if there were people around to see her streak. Hotel is a pretty vague term and if she's running around halls or down the stairs, those can be pretty desolate.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 6
14 hours ago, Dani said:

Brie’s other story is closer to what the men have been accused of but there are still key differences. She was on a movie set before filming her nude scene. Every person who saw her would have come to work that day knowing they were going to see her naked. They consented to seeing her naked as part of the job which was not the case in the instances that are drawing criticism. 

I'm also curious as to how prematurely she's disrobing before she shoots her scene. Like, are we talking hours of wandering around naked, or just not putting on a robe while everyone is doing last minute prep? And unless she's calling attention to herself, being naked before a scene in which she's naked probably just comes off like she doesn't mind people seeing her naked, unlike the people mentioned above who whipped out their dicks for the express purpose of getting people to look at said dicks. 

• Like 7
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

True but we don't know if there were people around to see her stream. Hotel is a pretty vague term and if she's running around halls or down the stairs, those can be pretty desolate.

I had the same thought and looked up the interview to see if there were more details. Her husband who was also the director of the movie said that she was running up and down the halls. As you said, those are usually pretty empty and since they were there for the premiere may not have been open to the public. 

9 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm also curious as to how prematurely she's disrobing before she shoots her scene. Like, are we talking hours of wandering around naked, or just not putting on a robe while everyone is doing last minute prep?

The example she gave in that posted article was a scene where the camera was going to start on her co-star, who was nervous about doing the nude scene, so Brie took her robe off at the same time the other woman had to so they'd be equal.

• Useful 5

R. Kelly ONE YEAR for child porn and enticement.   After his 30 years for racketeering.   Gee way to prioritize.   And I am SO GLAD they dropped the Minneapolis case BEFORE this sentencing.    Because you know, if anything happens to the racketeering case, he will definitely be locked up for a long time.

And people wonder why victims don't bother to come forward.

• Sad 14
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

R. Kelly ONE YEAR for child porn and enticement.   After his 30 years for racketeering.   Gee way to prioritize.   And I am SO GLAD they dropped the Minneapolis case BEFORE this sentencing.    Because you know, if anything happens to the racketeering case, he will definitely be locked up for a long time.

And people wonder why victims don't bother to come forward.

The judge admitted he would have gone with a longer sentence if this trial had come first. Infuriating. The only thing this really does is ensure he still has a 20 year sentence if he wins his New York appeal. 

It was Cook County that dropped their charges. The Minneapolis case is still pending. They’ve said they were waiting for the federal cases to conclude before decided what to do.

R. Kelly Sentenced to 20 Years for Child Sex Crimes- 19 years concurrent and 1 year consecutive. 

25 minutes ago, Dani said:

It was Cook County that dropped their charges. The Minneapolis case is still pending. They’ve said they were waiting for the federal cases to conclude before decided what to do.

I thought i mixed up which one was dropped.   At least Minneapolis by still say "fuck you, after you are done with the feds, we get our hands on you and we are giving a loooooong sentence."   SOMEONE has to stop saying "well justice is served, he got a lot of time for NON VIOLENT CRIMES."

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Dani said:

The judge admitted he would have gone with a longer sentence if this trial had come first. Infuriating. The only thing this really does is ensure he still has a 20 year sentence if he wins his New York appeal. 

R. Kelly Sentenced to 20 Years for Child Sex Crimes- 19 years concurrent and 1 year consecutive. 

Cook County’s judicial system is so messed up. Took my friend 2 years to get a divorce because the court kept allowing her (abusive) ex to play games.

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

WTF...

Marilyn Manson Accuser Recants Sexual Assault Allegation, Blames Evan Rachel Wood

Ashley Morgan Smithline alleged in May 2021 that the musician raped, brainwashed, and cut her during their relationship. She was one of more than a dozen women who accused Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner, of sexual assault.

In a legal filing obtained Thursday by Page Six, however, Smithline recanted her story. She also claimed Evan Rachel Wood, who first outed Manson as her alleged abuser in February 2021, “manipulated” the model into filing her allegation in the first place.

“I succumbed to pressure from Evan Rachel Wood and her associates to make accusations of rape and assault against [Manson] that were not true,” said Smithline in the new legal filing obtained by the outlet.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 4
14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Glad Evan had the foresight to keep the receipts. It’s sad, but there was a pretty astute comment that pointed out how Smithline’s behavior reminds them of an abuse victim goes back to the a user’s side then turns on the people that tried to help them.

Yep.  Happened in my family.  She'd leave, we'd rally around her, she'd go back and we were terrible people who "just didn't understand him".  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Finally ended thank god but not because she listened to any of us.  I expect this is sadly all too common.

• Like 4
  • Sad 10