Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, AstridM said:

An expensive home alarm system should be sufficient. What other “protection” does anyone need?

Unfortunately, that is not sufficient for keeping away the personal demons or  personal trauma at bay.

3 hours ago, Makai said:

I agree but that wasn’t her phrasing. The poster recalled that Pam said she felt “safety” in marriage. Safety and protection are are very similar but can have very different connotations. 

She may have felt safe because for her this meant safety. In reality, safety may have meant safety from something that is worse - and there are so many, many things that are worse.

I didn’t understand a lot of things until I married an abusive jerk in 1990(been happily remarried for 28 years). 
I did not grow up in an abusive home, just a very strict one.

However, I found myself in a very abusive marriage and am very, very lucky to be alive.

I went through my own personal hell in 1991, long before the Internet and what we all know now (and I didn’t grow up in an abusive home, just a controlling one). 

These days, we know such much more and thankfully have so many resources both physically, mentally and emotionally to help others through horrible times.

However, you cannot put someone else in your shoes or live your experiences.

I am thankful that I survived what I went through…

My personal lesson, it’s easy to judge things from a distance versus being part of the actual crap.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Hugs 11
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I wonder if some of her reasoning was that if she was married, at least some of the pervy men who think they can approach her because they've seen her in a magazine might think twice before trying anything. Because I imagine that a single Pam Anderson couldn't go into any public place without some asshole thinking she owed him a kiss, or that she should be willing to have her body touched all because she took some photos that got them off. 

Yeah, it is a sad fact of society that the only thing some men respect, in terms of leaving women alone, is another man's "claim" on her.  (And of course some don't even let that stop them.  I'm talking about the men who'll hear "I'm not interested" from a woman and try to change her mind, but "I'm married" will get them to back off.)

• Like 12
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 5

@Stats Queen Big hug and excellent post. 

Pamela has had a lot of trauma in her life. Some of it was childhood sexual abuse by a babysitter, and I think she witnessed her father physically abusing her mother. I think she's an intelligent person whose picker is off for a reason. My first thought is how the heck are you safe with Tommy Lee, but you are right in that we haven't been in her shoes. 

18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, it is a sad fact of society that the only thing some men respect, in terms of leaving women alone, is another man's "claim" on her.  (And of course some don't even let that stop them.  I'm talking about the men who'll hear "I'm not interested" from a woman and try to change her mind, but "I'm married" will get them to back off.)

1000 percent. I was about to post something along those lines but my own story isn't entirely on topic.

Just working office jobs, men mess with you less when you have someone. Married women get hit on, but not nearly as much, and men take rejection better when someone is "claimed," especially by a larger/more aggressive man. Not sure if that's part of Pamela's attraction toward bad boys or what. 

• Like 17
38 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

She may have felt safe because for her this meant safety. In reality, safety may have meant safety from something that is worse - and there are so many, many things that are worse.

I'm sorry you went through those experiences.

And I agree with you 100%. I think Pamela has distorted views of what is normal and safe because of her childhood. Between the ages of 6 and 14, she was repeatedly molested, as well as raped, by multiple people, including a babysitter and a boyfriend. [Edited to add: I wasn't aware of her witnessing domestic violence between her parents, as @RealHousewife noted, but again that does make sense in how it can also both distort one's sense of normalcy while also making someone crave a sense of stability and safety.] I don't personally understand the appeal of the men she's been with, but I don't doubt for a minute that to her they represented some sort of security or safety that she probably has been looking for for a long time. I was also molested as a child, and I know firsthand how it can distort your self-esteem and your perception of relationships long afterward. 

I've seen recent interviews where she's said she would like to have a partner but has realized it's not worked out for her and that she's okay with it. She seems very content living in a house she inherited from her grandparents and spending her time hanging out with her dogs and gardening. I am happy for her and hope she's found peace. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 12
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I'm sorry you went through those experiences.

And I agree with you 100%. I think Pamela has distorted views of what is normal and safe because of her childhood. Between the ages of 6 and 14, she was repeatedly molested, as well as raped, by multiple people, including a babysitter and a boyfriend. [Edited to add: I wasn't aware of her witnessing domestic violence between her parents, as @RealHousewife noted, but again that does make sense in how it can also both distort one's sense of normalcy while also making someone crave a sense of stability and safety.] I don't personally understand the appeal of the men she's been with, but I don't doubt for a minute that to her they represented some sort of security or safety that she probably has been looking for for a long time. I was also molested as a child, and I know firsthand how it can distort your self-esteem and your perception of relationships long afterward. 

I've seen recent interviews where she's said she would like to have a partner but has realized it's not worked out for her and that she's okay with it. She seems very content living in a house she inherited from her grandparents and spending her time hanging out with her dogs and gardening. I am happy for her and hope she's found peace. 

So, I guess Miss Anderson's finally getting the puppy love she was always seeking!

Any word if any of them are German shepherds? They're attentive, affectionate and VERY protective of their favorite humans!

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Blergh said:

So, I guess Miss Anderson's finally getting the puppy love she was always seeking!

Any word if any of them are German shepherds? They're attentive, affectionate and VERY protective of their favorite humans!

I'm honestly not sure. I read an article linked here (I think?) a few days ago that talked about her current life. It mentioned her dogs--apparently she has five of them!--but not the breed/breeds. A tentative google search is pulling up references to golden retrievers, setters, and Chihuahuas, though. 

As a longtime Chihuahua owner, I wholeheartedly endorse them. I know they can have a bad rap, but they are very sweet toward and protective of their person, even if they hate the rest of the universe. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Anderson is extremely passionate about animal rights, and her dogs are an assortment of rescues. 

Here's a Variety article which gives a lot of information about her life as revealed by the book and subsequent interview, and leads with the Tim Allen incident, and here's a Vanity Fair article including her statement after that incident became the big story:

In a separate statement shared exclusively with Vanity Fair, Anderson expands on her account, insisting the incident took place.

“This true story is just one of many surreal and uncomfortable situations I learned to navigate,” Anderson writes. “My book goes into how it made me feel over the course of my life and, in this case, my career. I have no ill will toward Tim. But like the rest, it should never have happened.”

(Re. the discussion of her romantic relationships, in that Variety interview, she says she hasn't been involved with anyone in a year, and it's been the best year of her life.) 

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Anderson is extremely passionate about animal rights, and her dogs are an assortment of rescues. 

Here's a Variety article which gives a lot of information about her life as revealed by the book and subsequent interview, and leads with the Tim Allen incident, and here's a Vanity Fair article including her statement after that incident became the big story:

(Re. the discussion of her romantic relationships, in that Variety interview, she says she hasn't been involved with anyone in a year, and it's been the best year of her life.) 

Yup, Pamela's a huge animal lover, and her activism is why I have a soft spot for her. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I wonder if some of her reasoning was that if she was married, at least some of the pervy men who think they can approach her because they've seen her in a magazine might think twice before trying anything. Because I imagine that a single Pam Anderson couldn't go into any public place without some asshole thinking she owed him a kiss, or that she should be willing to have her body touched all because she took some photos that got them off. 

That was my first thought, too. Would Tim Allen have flashed her if he'd known her to be in a relationship, let alone to be in a relationship with someone who seems like he might kick someone's ass?

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Zella said:

I debated where to post this and none of the websites currently reporting on this are the greatest, but apparently Scientology leader David Miscavige has been dodging process servers for the past few months over a trafficking lawsuit. If you keep up with Scientology misdeeds, his wife Shelly has not been seen in public since 2007. 

https://www.tmz.com/2023/01/26/david-miscavige-scientology-leader-shelly-wife/

I'm proud of Leah Remini for not letting the fact that Shelly hasn't been seen in public in years go. The show she and Mike Rinder did to expose the awfulness of Scientology to more people did good work too. I knew that whole organization was/is a shit show to put it nicely. I was still shocked as to how truly awful it is especially holding people hostage and basically torturing them at various locations especially the one they call "Gold Base". The fact that they have police who help to keep them protected from the law as much as they can should have been a much bigger story. I'm betting there's a mole somewhere letting David Miscavige and his people know whenever a process server will be showing up before they even get to where they're going to try to serve him .

• Like 12
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

I knew that whole organization was/is a shit show to put it nicely.  I was still shocked as to how truly awful it is especially holding people hostage and basically torturing them at various locations especially the one they call "Gold Base".

Agreed. Most of what I know about Scientology comes from reading Going Clear, but I was absolutely gobsmacked by how horrible and unhinged it was as an organization. I knew it was bad before then, but it was eye-opening. I've read my fair share about cults (including multiple books on Jonestown) and just terrible people and things in general, and I am not exaggerating when I say that some of the stuff I read in Going Clear is among the most disturbing material I've ever read. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Agreed. Most of what I know about Scientology comes from reading Going Clear, but I was absolutely gobsmacked by how horrible and unhinged it was as an organization. I knew it was bad before then, but it was eye-opening. I've read my fair share about cults (including multiple books on Jonestown) and just terrible people and things in general, and I am not exaggerating when I say that some of the stuff I read in Going Clear is among the most disturbing material I've ever read. 

Any time I find out a celebrity is a scientologist I never look at them the same way again.  I will watch their projects but I'm always thinking you belong to a cult.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Zella said:

I agree. It was the one of the most disturbing books I ever read.  Miscavage and others should be in jail. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 1/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, Jaded said:

. I'm betting there's a mole somewhere letting David Miscavige and his people know whenever a process server will be showing up before they even get to where they're going to try to serve him .

Could be.  Or it could be as simple as -- not answering the door.   Process Servers cannot bust open the door and force the papers on someone.   They can't just leave them on the car and say "good enough."    Miscavage is always surrounded by security, either locked doors or people.   A process server cannot "disturb the peace" in order to serve someone.   So no busting down doors, fighting people, things like that.    

What I am surprised about it is they are just now asking for alternative service.   When I have problems serving someone (usually they won't answer the door and won't call the process server back when the server leaves their card), it's 3 attempts by the server then I ask for posting at the courthouse.   Which is exactly what it sounds like, the court posts a notice at the court there is a case against the person with a general statement of the case and then they have a deadline to respond.   If they don't, I get to ask the court to go ahead without them.   No nobody goes to the courthouse and checks these postings.  But its legal.   Not sure why this has been going on for MONTHS with Miscavige.  I usually do it about 6 weeks after the summons issues.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 6

Hmm - Pam Anderson doesn't seem to have any hard feelings, maybe, about the Tim Allen flashing incident according to Variety's profile:

[Sorry, just saw that this article was linked already]

What’s refreshing about “Love, Pamela” is that, despite very consciously reclaiming her power, Anderson doesn’t tell her reader how to think. In the hands of another celebrity, the Allen anecdote would have come with a swift verdict. But Anderson just states the facts and lets the reader decide. “I’m not a very judgmental person,” she says. Later on, she sends me a text: “Tim is a comedian, it’s his job to cross the line. I’m sure he had no bad intentions. Times have changed, though. I doubt anyone would try that post #MeToo. It’s a new world.”

https://variety.com/2023/tv/features/pamela-anderson-interview-abuse-boyfriends-pam-and-tommy-backlash-1235501556/

Edited by Trini
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

She could have at least waited until the Illinois federal sentencing next month before assuming he will spend enough time in jail for “justice to be served”. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

She could have at least waited until the Illinois federal sentencing next month before assuming he will spend enough time in jail for “justice to be served”. 

I think so too. Who knows how long he will actually stay behind bars???

When it comes to R. Kelly it was an open secret. I was SHELTERED (well at least the Black version of sheltered), and when I was a tween/teen growing up on the southside of Chicago at the turn of the millennium, I was explicitly told NOT to speak to or engage with R Kelly if I saw him out and about because he preyed on girls. I think about how he could’ve been stopped and so many girls could’ve been saved YEARS ago. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 6
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think about how he could’ve been stopped and so many girls could’ve been saved YEARS ago. 

One of the things that really stayed with me about the Surviving R. Kelly documentary a few years ago was when one of the girl's parents admitted they'd been warned about them, but they sought him out for help with their daughter's career anyway. Their reasoning was they'd made ground rules that she wasn't to engage with him alone, so she'd be safe. The next thing they know, she's with him and won't speak to them. 

Edited by Zella
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 16
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

One of the things that really stayed with me about the Surviving R. Kelly documentary a few years ago was when one of the girl's parents admitted they'd been warned about them, but they sought him out for help with their daughter's career anyway. Their reasoning was they'd made ground rules that she wasn't to engage with him alone, so she'd be safe. The next thing they know, she's with him and won't speak to them. 

I just cannot with this thinking. I can’t.

For the record R Kelly is the predator here, and I can understand how loving/caring/competent parents and caregivers can trust the wrong person (these types can be very cunning and smooth operators), but if you KNOW, KNOW this man is harming girls, you hand your teenage/tween daughter to a wolf???? That tells me you care more about money/fame than this person hurting your child. I can only imagine how the victims feel if they adults they trusted just handed them over to this man like a piece of property. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 12
11 hours ago, Dani said:

Well he is already serving 30 years for the NY federal conviction.   But I agree.   If the federal convictions get overturned, then what?   he gets to walk.

Also "justice was served" for WHOM?   The girls in the state case never got their day in court.

• Like 16

On 1/30/2023 at 7:02 AM, merylinkid said:

Could be.  Or it could be as simple as -- not answering the door.   Process Servers cannot bust open the door and force the papers on someone.   They can't just leave them on the car and say "good enough."    Miscavage is always surrounded by security, either locked doors or people.   A process server cannot "disturb the peace" in order to serve someone.   So no busting down doors, fighting people, things like that.    

I know how subpoenas and process serving work. The fact that Scientology is so extra is what made me say what I did in my previous post about doing more to divert a subpoena compared to what's usually done. It's just a theory nothing I am trying to state as factual. Tony Ortega reposted this story on his Substack about how Lisa Marie tried to work to expose Scientology in a more behind the scenes way compared to Leah Remini. It also mentions her Mom, Daughter and Ben.

Lisa Marie Presley on Scientology, its leader David Miscavige, and why she left

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Tim Allen is just making it worse.  If I'm going to believe someone it's going to be Pamela Anderson.  And why even bring Disney into it?  Does he think that will make him sound more believable?  Just let it go dude.

And Disney didn't even own ABC when Pam was on Home Improvement.  Tim is just trying to sound intimidating.  He can take several seats.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 23
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Allen is particularly disgusting about this, since Anderson, on the other hand, has been quite gracious, first in the book and then in subsequent interviews in which she was asked about it, and even in the face of his denial, saying she's sure he didn't have bad intentions and she has no ill will towards him, but it - like the other examples she gave of the surreal and uncomfortable incidents she had to navigate during her career - shouldn't have happened.  And calling her "a good girl"?  Fuck all the way off, Tim.

Way to confirm the underlying problem what Pamela’s version in your denial, Tim.

Too bad he’ll never realize he’s telling on himself. 

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Fuck him, this just makes him look even worse.

In a recent video obtained by The Daily Mail UK, the comedian added a little bit of sleaze to his earlier denial. “She was a great co-worker, I’ll tell you that. She’s a fun girl. Everybody loved her, but everybody at ABC is a little disappointed in her memory, put it that way. All of us at Disney/ABC, really.” He added: “She’s a good girl.” Gross!

LOL.  I don't even see a denial here, you prick.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 17
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I had no idea Tim Allen was such a big wheel at Disney/ABC that he can speak for the entire organization.  Well if he can, so can I, "all of us in Canada are "disappointed" that Tim Allen is an even bigger jerk than was previously supposed."

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 9
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everybody loved her, but everybody at ABC is a little disappointed in her memory, put it that way.

This bit you quoted from Tim's response especially got me. What the hell does that even mean?

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
23 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This bit you quoted from Tim's response especially got me. What the hell does that even mean?

everybody at ABC I, Tim Allen, am is a little really disappointed in how good her memory is

FTFY. :) 

I cross-posted with @Ms Blue Jay!

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 10
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Did Disney/ABC make him their spokesperson?! 

If not, then maybe Mr. Allen shouldn't count on having endless Buzz Lightyear spin offs- especially after that.

In addition to it being a pretentious and boorish statement re ABC/Disney, it's also rather patronizing to Miss Anderson!

P.S. Under normal circumstances, I'm no fan of ABC/Disney for reasons I'm not getting into at this time!

BLEH!!

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes, we are, and Pam Anderson is a treasured Canadian.

I am not sure I would go that far. I mean her Home Improvement story probably happened. But what about her life or career makes her a treasured Canadian? I mean she was the former Mrs. Kid Rock.

• Like 2

Not a Canadian here, but Pamela actually does a ton of charity work. Taking it back to the topic, because she was abused by so many people in her life, she credits animals for saving her. That’s why she’s so protective of them and has been a huge animal rights advocate before it was trendy. She is also involved in charities for the environment and humankind. She really is a sweet person whatever you think of her career and the men she’s married. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 3

I really hope Disney/ABC makes their own statement saying Tim Allen does not speak for them.  I mean seriously.   Who the fuck does he think he is?

6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Not a Canadian here, but Pamela actually does a ton of charity work. Taking it back to the topic, because she was abused by so many people in her life, she credits animals for saving her. That’s why she’s so protective of them and has been a huge animal rights advocate before it was trendy. She is also involved in charities for the environment and humankind. She really is a sweet person whatever you think of her career and the men she’s married. 

I watched her documentary last night and have her book on reserve at the library.   Aside from her sometimes questionable choices in men I've always liked her. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I really hope Disney/ABC makes their own statement saying Tim Allen does not speak for them.  I mean seriously.   Who the fuck does he think he is?

I watched her documentary last night and have her book on reserve at the library.   Aside from her sometimes questionable choices in men I've always liked her. 

Same. I haven’t watched her documentary, but always found her so kind and down to earth. There are lots of beautiful and famous people who have big heads. Pam says she’s not all that without the makeup, that her boobs have a career of their own and she just tags along, etc. She doesn’t take herself too seriously but tries to make an impact in the world. Sometimes people who are abused become abusers, but sometimes they go totally the opposite route like Pam. I really admire that. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

She really is a sweet person whatever you think of her career and the men she’s married. 

She is the type of person I wish had found someone when she was young who cared about her for who she is (she sounds like a pretty great human) rather than wanted her for what she looked like. She has always come across as a sweet person who was maybe too trusting and therefore easily taken advantage of. 

Tim Allen can go suck a big bag of dicks. It doesn't even sound like she said he was a horrible person who destroyed her life, she was just sharing an event that happened to her. And Terrible Tim's reaction makes me 100% believe her, so...good for him? Idiot

• Like 18
33 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

She is the type of person I wish had found someone when she was young who cared about her for who she is (she sounds like a pretty great human) rather than wanted her for what she looked like. She has always come across as a sweet person who was maybe too trusting and therefore easily taken advantage of. 

Tim Allen can go suck a big bag of dicks. It doesn't even sound like she said he was a horrible person who destroyed her life, she was just sharing an event that happened to her. And Terrible Tim's reaction makes me 100% believe her, so...good for him? Idiot

Agree on all the above. Pamela’s looks are a double-edge sword. Her face and body have helped her with fame and fortune and certainly attract tons of men, but unfortunately not the nicest men. More like the kind who make this thread. :( 

• Like 7

Dances with Wolves actor Nathan Chasing Horse arrested for sex with minors, accused of running a cult to exploit and sexually abuse Native American women and girls. 

Nathan Chasing Horse was rounded up Tuesday by a SWAT team near his home in Las Vegas, where he lives with his 5 wives. He reportedly planned for his wives to take "suicide pills" and prepare for a shootout with police. He was booked in the Clark County Jail for child abuse or neglect, sex assault, sex assault against a child and sex trafficking of an adult.

According to the 50-page search warrant, Chasing Horse targeted young Native American girls and used his good reputation among tribes in the U.S. and Canada to lure them into his secret web. Known as a "medicine man," Chasing Horse performed healing rituals and held spiritual get-togethers ... but it was allegedly all to exploit his victims as the leader of a cult named, "The Circle."

Las Vegas cops say they've identified six alleged victims, some of whom were under 13. Chasing Horse allegedly recorded his sexual assaults and arranged sexual encounters between his victims and other men who would pay him.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 14

Yikes I hadn't heard about the most recent arrest, but I remember reading a few months ago that he had been banned a while back from a reservation in Montana over concerns about sexual abuse and trafficking. 

• Sad 6
  • Useful 1

I only have this reaction to a particular type of person and Lauer is one of them. My first thought is he needs to stay wherever he's been hiding. My second reaction was ‘more humble’ my ass. After moving my post over here for further discussion I added one more outtake from the article at the bottom of the quote.

‘More humble’ Matt Lauer considering a media comeback attempt: sources

Here are a few outtakes from the article...

P.S: I wonder if Matt was his own source of "sources" or someone he paid to be was.

“He thinks that he should be able to have a comeback,” one source said, while Lauer’s friends are said to be pushing him to make a move like Megyn Kelly and put himself back in the games on his “own terms.”

“He’s still pretty upset about how he was ousted at NBC and upset at all the people he thought were his friends who turned their backs on him,” an insider said. “He knows he made mistakes, and he is a lot more humble.”

He understands that there might not be any sort of appetite for [a comeback],” said the insider. “In other words, he wants to see if there would be any chance — but he understands fully that there might be zero chance. He’s not unrealistic.”

“His friends would love to see him do something again,” said the insider “He’d be great at a podcast or his own production firm, using his skills behind the scenes.  He looks at how someone like Megyn Kelly has reinvented herself on her own terms.

In fact, said a media source, “He has had a couple of opportunities put to him. But then something always happens, like Katie Couric’s book comes out, and the opportunities go away.”

The release of “Going There,” his former “Today” co-host Couric’s memoir, in 2021 “really hurt Matt,” a friend said. The book included private text messages between them, and Couric called Lauer’s alleged behavior “callous” and “grossly inappropriate.”

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 5
21 hours ago, Jaded said:

I only have this reaction to a particular type of person and Lauer is one of them. My first thought is he needs to stay wherever he's been hiding. My second reaction was ‘more humble’ my ass. After moving my post over here for further discussion I added one more outtake from the article at the bottom of the quote.

‘More humble’ Matt Lauer considering a media comeback attempt: sources

Here are a few outtakes from the article...

P.S: I wonder if Matt was his own source of "sources" or someone he paid to be was.

Of course, one thing that came out of Mr. Lauer's firing was the evident fact that his NBC office had a desk  with a button that automatically locked the office's doors that prevented anyone else who wanted to leave to be unable to (unless they somehow were able to get behind the desk, find the button, then run out the door before it got pressed again).  IIRC, he claimed the button had been there long before he got the office. Hence at least two chilling postscripts arise: one is how many of his office occupant predecessors used said button to increase the odds of their preventing those who sought to leave to be able to escape? Second, if Mr. Lauer had ANY decency, he'd not only have never used the button but he'd have had it dismantled AND perhaps used his journalistic skills to discover its origins and whether any crimes within the office had been abetted by the button in question. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Of course, one thing that came out of Mr. Lauer's firing was the evident fact that his NBC office had a desk  with a button that automatically locked the office's doors that prevented anyone else who wanted to leave to be unable to (unless they somehow were able to get behind the desk, find the button, then run out the door before it got pressed again).  IIRC, he claimed the button had been there long before he got the office. Hence at least two chilling postscripts arise: one is how many of his office occupant predecessors use said button to increase the odds of their preventing those who sought to leave to be able to escape? Second, if Mr. Lauer had ANY decency, he'd not only have never used the button but he'd have had it dismantled AND perhaps used his journalistic skills to discover its origins and whether any crimes within the office had been abetted by the button in question. 

It would be interesting to know who had the office before him.  Also we only have his word for it that the button predated his occupying that office.  I'm not inclined to believe anything he says.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

It would be interesting to know who had the office before him.  Also we only have his word for it that the button predated his occupying that office.  I'm not inclined to believe anything he says.

It should be noted that Columbia mogul Harry Cohn (1891-1958) evidently had had a button like that installed in his own desk (and he evidently had also sexually harassed his female employees), so it wouldn't have been impossible for the button to have existed at that NBC office prior to Matt Lauer's occupation. Regardless of whether Mr. Lauer had inherited or installed the button, he should have NEVER used it and had it dismantled ASAP.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1