Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

It also likely means that the judge here believed that there is enough evidence of possible crimes having been committed to proceed with a new trial instead of having this deadlocked mistrial be the end of all possible hope for justice.

It's not up to the judge whether this is the end of the line as far as criminal proceedings (there is a civil case pending, which was paused pending this trial), and the judge's actions at this stage are not related to any belief in the evidence pointing to guilty or not guilty. 

A judge declares a mistrial in the trial before her/him/them when deliberation is truly exhausted and the jury remains hopelessly deadlocked, and then the District Attorney's office decides whether or not to re-try the case.  A new trial date being set is routine; it's scheduled tentatively - and there's simultaneously a status conference scheduled in between - and a DDA has said “It’s a conversation we have to have with our office” about re-trying.

The sad reality is the overwhelming majority of rapes are never reported in the first place, a minority of that tiny fraction that are reported lead to an arrest, the minority of that small number of arrests result in prosecution, and then there are barely 50/50 odds (and it has only recently reached that on average) of those tiny fraction of prosecuted rapes resulting in a conviction. 

When the defendant is rich and famous, those odds go down.  The flip side is, if Masterson were not famous, there's likely no way the DA would even consider filing again given the way the jury was leaning (10-2, 8-4, and 7-5 in favor of acquittal on the three charges); only because of the public attention brought to the trial by his celebrity might they try to do it better the second time around.

Edited by Bastet
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1

Parties in lawsuit accusing former ‘SNL’ star Horatio Sanz of sexual assault agree to dismiss

The parties involved in a lawsuit brought by an undisclosed woman accusing former “Saturday Night Live” star Horatio Sanz of sexual assault two decades ago have agreed to dismiss the case, according to court records from the Supreme Court of New York.

The filing said “all claims asserted by Plaintiff Jane Doe … are hereby dismissed with prejudice, without costs and attorneys’ fees to any party or against any other party.”

A dismissal with prejudice means the case can’t be refiled.

The first thing that comes to mind is she was lying but I hope that's not it.

37 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I wouldn’t go there immediately. These cases are brutal for accusers having every detail of their life picked apart. Sometimes I am amazed anyone is willing to come forward and stick it out through a trial. 

Lying?  She named many witnesses.  I doubt it.   Also if she was lying, and naming witnesses that could deny anything happened, why wouldn't they simply refuse to pay?

Besides Horatio, has anyone even denied that the assaults happened?  Why would lying be the first assumption?

NBCUniversal filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit in April 2022, stating "Employers owe no general duty to protect third-persons from the possibility of sexual abuse by their employees".[11] In August 2022, the accuser requested that Jimmy Fallon, Tracy Morgan, and Lorne Michaels be added to the lawsuit as defendants, alleging they enabled Sanz's behavior.[11]

This does not read like even a remote denial!  More like an admission that everything happened!   And anything can happen in future and they wash their hands of it.  Nice.

I have also seen the picture of them together online - He is 31, she is 15, and he has his arm around her.  So, at the least, they have met.

Lots of evidence gathered here, including an AIM chat log between them:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/horatio-sanzs-sexual-assault-accuser-speaks-out-he-abused-me-all-over-snl?ref=home

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Parties in lawsuit accusing former ‘SNL’ star Horatio Sanz of sexual assault agree to dismiss

24 minutes ago, Dani said:

I wouldn’t go there immediately. These cases are brutal for accusers having every detail of their life picked apart. Sometimes I am amazed anyone is willing to come forward and stick it out through a trial. 

Right.  Especially in sexual assault cases. Regardless of who is telling the truth, a settlement usually works the same for both parties.

Horatio can offer a sum to avoid a trial which can be expensive and where he'd have his reputation besmirched. 

The Jane Doe accuser can accept the sum to avoid a trial which will be expensive and where her reputation will likely be besmirched. 

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

That's the thing, they didn't announce a settlement. They announced a dismissal by both sides. No mention of a settlement. I can understand if she shut it down for one but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I could have sworn that I read about a settlement somewhere.  I think the reason I jumped to settlement is because they jointly filed the petition so I feel pretty confident there was likely some kind of payoff.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I could have sworn that I read about a settlement somewhere.  I think the reason I jumped to settlement is because they jointly filed the petition so I feel pretty confident there was likely some kind of payoff.

A lot of the news stories do say there was a settlement. It appears neither side is talking so there doesn’t appear to be official word of a settlement but they way it was handled points to a settlement. If she just dropped the suit there would be no reason for his side to be quiet. 
Horatio Sanz settles lawsuit from woman who accused the 'Saturday Night Live' alum of sexually abusing her when she was a teen

The state posted here only says no payment of fees or costs.   It does not say there was no settlement.   There was probably a settlement of enough to convince her that going forward was not worth the stress to herself.

• Useful 1

Does Sparks know anything about domestic violence?  

https://pagesix.com/2022/12/02/jordin-sparks-defends-chris-brown-after-he-was-booed-at-amas/

https://screenshot-media.com/culture/toxic-masculinity/chris-brown-accusations/

https://screenrant.com/dwts-jordin-sparks-chris-brown-contestant-ideas/

She wants Brown to compete on DWTS……

What is she, President of the Brown fan club?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Sad 8

She sang No Air with him at 17 and it was fairly successful. I don't know how much time she's spent around him after that. Because he treated her, a minor then, decently doesn't make him a good person. He has not demonstrated any change or growth, that's why he shouldn't be given a pass. The Page Six article notes he was sued just this year for drugging and raping a woman.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I never liked her and I'm happy to be proven right.  I'll make sure to avoid her Hallmark movies.

• Like 3
On 12/6/2022 at 9:28 PM, Jaded said:

I can firmly believe Cosby assaulted (or tried to assault) young women that were a part of the production. “False imprisonment”- I can see a scenario where he locked them in a room with him and tried to coerce them into sexual acts. He should pay, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Money won’t make up for the harm he caused DOZENS (maybe hundreds) of women without real consequences for DECADES.

• Like 3
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

A great day for justice!

I am particularly pleased with this verdict because of the disgusting way in which the defense behaved.  Hard to believe this trial was taking place in 2022.

• Like 10
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

A great day for justice!

I'd call it a mixed day, since he was only convicted for his crimes against one victim; they acquitted him in another victim's case and were hung on two more, resulting in a mistrial on those, so three victims walk out of that courtroom after the trauma of testifying knowing even if he dies in prison, not one day of his incarceration will be in their names.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Useful 10
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

The important thing to remember is he’ll die in prison.

And he doesn't get any sense of vindication out of this trial.  Yes, I do understand that he was only convicted on one count - but one was enough.  If anyone out there, aside from his defense attorneys, was rooting for him this trial didn't work out the way they may have hoped.  

• Like 6
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The important thing to remember is he’ll die in prison.

He has an appeal pending in NY and intends to appeal the CA verdict, too.  I think the convictions will hold, but put nothing past a deeply fucked-up justice system.  I hope he will indeed rot and die behind bars, I'm just not banking on that until the appeals process is exhausted.

And, of course, countless victims never even got a day in court (among those who'd have wanted one to begin with, given all the shit that comes with it).  So there would always be a distressing number of women for whom justice was never granted in their names.  But it's bittersweet for those who tore themselves open on the stand to see him convicted, just not for what he did to them.  So on a day when he's again found guilty, I celebrate, but I also acknowledge the impact of the lack of conviction on the charges relating to three other women.

• Like 10
  • Love 4

And now a mistrial on the aggravating factors that would have resulted in a longer sentence for Weinstein, as the jury deadlocked on those, so his sentence will be no more than 18 years (it could have been up to 24 if the jury had approved the factors).

• Sad 5
10 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

That label will stick with him no matter how many years he has to serve.   

He is 70 now.  Even if he manages to outlive his sentence he'll be well into his 80s.  His career is over.  His reputation tarnished.  Tacking on more years, while satisfying, is also overkill.  

• Like 6
On 12/1/2022 at 12:26 AM, Bastet said:

The sad reality is the overwhelming majority of rapes are never reported in the first place, a minority of that tiny fraction that are reported lead to an arrest, the minority of that small number of arrests result in prosecution, and then there are barely 50/50 odds (and it has only recently reached that on average) of those tiny fraction of prosecuted rapes resulting in a conviction. 

Hell, in the Brock Turner case there were witnesses who saw him raping her as well as police who found him literally with his pants down, and he still got a slap on the wrist. To bring it backto celebrities, I felt bad for Anthony Rapp. I knew he didn't have a chance in hell at proving it and wasn't surprised the civil suit failed.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2
  • Sad 11
19 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m trying to figure out why Steven Tyler released a book in 2011 or 2012 describing an intimate relationship with an underage girl.  The suit says he’s not named specifically, but it sounds very on point.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/steven-tyler-sexual-assault-minor-lawsuit-1234653817/

Yeah I saw this yesterday and just am baffled as to why he wrote about it in a memoir. 

It's a step beyond the usual underage groupies being used for sex.  He obviously knew it was illegal based on the story. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Yeah I saw this yesterday and just am baffled as to why he wrote about it in a memoir. 

With the caveat that this is the first I've heard about this I am going to assume because even as recently as 2011 men didn't think there would ever be consequences for actions of this kind.  Why would they?  For the most part they got a pat on the back and  the assumption that "she was asking for it". 

No matter what the age difference.  I am still horrified when I remember a situation that happened here in Canada where a man was on trial for raping a 5 yr old and the judge, THE JUDGE, said the child had behaved in a sexually provocative manner.  God help us but I am hoping that 2023 will bring an end to this crap.  Yeah, ok I'm not holding my breath but there are some hopeful signs.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 17
22 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

With the caveat that this is the first I've heard about this I am going to assume because even as recently as 2011 men didn't think there would ever be consequences for actions of this kind.  Why would they?  For the most part they got a pat on the back and  the assumption that "she was asking for it". 

No matter what the age difference.  I am still horrified when I remember a situation that happened here in Canada where a man was on trial for raping a 5 yr old and the judge, THE JUDGE, said the child had behaved in a sexually provocative manner.  God help us but I am hoping that 2023 will bring an end to this crap.  Yeah, ok I'm not holding my breath but there are some hopeful signs.

On a similar note Bella throne recently states at age 10 a casting director accused her of 'flirting' during an audition. 

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrity-kids/bella-thorne-slams-director-who-accused-her-of-flirting-with-him-at-age-10/news-story/2729fe14c1b56431c85e23752c3cec07

• Like 1
  • Sad 9
  • Fire 3
36 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I’m a decent person, and sometimes I want to crawl into a hole just thinking of embarrassing moments or stupid things I’ve said. This monster has no shame.

Aside from the obvious, the man is 85 years old and legally blind.  

On 12/30/2022 at 8:28 PM, Notabug said:

Aside from the obvious, the man is 85 years old and legally blind.  

Yes and was too sick and frail to be in jail.   But a tour -- he's all good to go.   You know you need to pass a physical to get tour insurance right?   No promoter would back a tour without insurance.   Everyone can follow the logic here.

• Like 15
14 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

Romeo and Juliet actors sue Paramount for child abuse in 1968 film

Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting accuse studio of sexual exploitation in nude scene in Franco Zeffirelli adaptation

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jan/03/romeo-and-juliet-actors-sue-paramount-child-abuse-zeffirelli

Olivia Hussey admitted in her memoir that she wasn’t comfortable with shooting in nude, but Zeffirelli told her it was necessary for the film and she believed it. They could have made it work with flesh colored underwear, seeing anyone’s breasts or ass wasn’t essential.

It is a beautiful adaptation but yeah no, the filmmakers shouldn’t have pressured them like that. They were teenagers—she was FIFTEEN for God’s sake. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Sad 11
  • Applause 4
On 12/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

On a similar note Bella throne recently states at age 10 a casting director accused her of 'flirting' during an audition. 

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/celebrity-kids/bella-thorne-slams-director-who-accused-her-of-flirting-with-him-at-age-10/news-story/2729fe14c1b56431c85e23752c3cec07

Chantal Kreviazuk came out with a very similar story after seeing Bella's post.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/news/exclusive-chantal-kreviazuk-calls-out-former-tv-host-1.19006303

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Sad 1