Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, Pickles Aplenty said:

If there is one thing I get tired of, it's the *very* rigid definition of 'rock' some people have, and the stink they make whenever an artist who is different from the norm is nominated/inducted.

I agree.  In fact, I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's liberal definition of "rock 'n roll" over the years is what keeps it relevant and prestigious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Kanye got himself suspended from Instagram for 24 hours for a racist rant against Trevor Noah. That I'm not going to link to because it's pretty disgusting. Hate speech finally made them sit up and take notice.

But they aren't really doing anything about it, I mean a whole 24 hours! Oooo, that'll learn him! They could have made it a lot longer, if not permanent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 21

As for that giant “Kim” stamped on Davidson’s chest?

“[It] isn’t a tattoo, it’s actually a branding,” Kardashian confirmed. “Because he wanted to do something that was really different.”

Davidson also apparently told his girlfriend, “I don’t want to be able to get rid of it or to cover it up, and I just wanted it there as a scar on me.”

This can't be real, right? https://pagesix.com/2022/03/16/pete-davidson-has-a-few-tattoos-dedicated-to-kim-kardashian/

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2

Yes, I wish the ban against the Former/Formal Mr. West were longer! That was vile and totally uncalled for against Mr. Noah!  I don't get why the Former/Formal Mr. West feels the need to continually publicly shoot himself in the foot! It seems he's the embodiment of the adage of hatred being an acid that corrodes the vessel it's stored in   more than any object it's poured onto! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9

These people make me so sorry for the children they produce.  The only advantage I see is that they will have plenty of money for the years of therapy the kids will all need to just function at a basic level. 

Pete did supposedly get a good shot back at Kanye.  Kanye texted & asked where Pete was, and he responded "In bed with your wife" and included a picture.  *ROFL*   I hope that was real.

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I know nothing about Kim or her family except they seem like culture vultures and will do anything for publicity, fame, money and influence. 

I wouldn't be surprised if her mother sees this as an opportunity for something.  Which would really be fucked up.  Kris Jenner knows how dangerous a crazy ex can be. She was best friends with Nicole Brown Simpson.   

14 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

All three of them strike me as just immature and ridiculous.

They are but Kanye being mentally ill makes it scarier.  I would hope Kim and Pete are taking this seriously. I doubt this just stays online.  I hope I'm wrong but I see bad things happening.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Kanye is documented mentally ill and is struggling and acting out publicly.  He needs to finally understand that he needs to get himself some help before he hurts himself or someone else.  Does this man have no real family?  I find it really sad and tragic that there doesn't seem to be anyone able to step in and help him, either through his own resistance or just that no one seems to care except to mutter warnings.

The man is 44 years old.  He can't be forced to do anything unless it's at gunpoint or by legal means.  Literally.  

He knows himself and knows his problems.  While he's obviously surrounded by enablers, he had and has family and friends that are aware of his ticking time-bomb status. 

If he refuses to help himself, then he will be the architect of his own destruction.  Nobody can save Kanye but Kanye.

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 16
15 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Led Zeppelin is my favorite band ever, and many consider them rock, but many consider them a blues band. The Beatles are more pop-sounding than rock to me. Googling what was the first rock song ever brought back many things people would not want in the RHOF who believe "rock" only belongs there. In my opinion, the term "rock and roll" has always been a fluid term, and it currently (even if you count my second and third favorite bands: Foo Fighters and Radiohead, respectively) looks nothing like what people today consider "rock" music. It was always an eclectic and inclusive term.

And yet it never included disco/disco-influenced pop, so why the hell is ABBA in there?

Like I said, we're all entitled to our own opinions.  I think a narrower definition of rock and roll should be used for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, although I would definitely include early influences.  Or change the name of it to something more inclusive of various non-rock genres.

That's my last word on the subject other than this: Dolly Parton absolutely doesn't belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by any possible definition, and good for her for recognizing that.  And I say that as someone who is a huge fan of hers.  Oh, and if this results in her recording a rock album, I'd be thrilled to hear it.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And yet it never included disco/disco-influenced pop, so why the hell is ABBA in there?

The BeeGees were inducted into the Rock Hall in 1997. Donna Summer in 2013.  If they can't be considered disco/disco-influenced pop, no one can. There are  other examples.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13
58 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

If he refuses to help himself, then he will be the architect of his own destruction.  Nobody can save Kanye but Kanye.

If he wants to self destruct into a pile of rubble so be it.  It's the collateral damage that comes with that I think we all want to avoid.  

• Love 14
56 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Honestly, I think there are two things going on with Kanye. He is mentally ill and he is an asshole. This makes it even more difficult to offer any help (not sure if anyone is). I believe even if you help his mental disorder, an asshole will remain. I have said this before and hopefully I am not being callous.

This is my take too.

I also think he's actually driven off anyone who would be motivated to sincerely help him from his inner circle, which is not unusual with celebrities after they reach a certain point of fame. But even if he had that, he seems to respond to genuine offers/concern with maximum hostility. He got angry at Noah and unleashed on him for having a segment on his show wherein he talked about Kanye and Kim's divorce, specifically how dangerous Kanye is acting and that he needs help. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also his egging on Kanye is just childish and stupid.

Especially if he did the "in bed with your wife" thing mentioned upthread.  That's such a gross way to talk about a woman; is she your girlfriend, or some trophy you made sure to win so you can brag to the world you bagged her?  I know, I know, it's Kim Kardashian.  I don't respect her.  But he should.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 20

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Well in happier celebrity romance news, Tom Hiddleston and Zawe Ashton are officially engaged.  Congrats to them!  And despair to all those who think they still have a chance with Tom.

They are super adorable!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

And all three are influencing (God I've grown to despise that word) our youth and culture in general.  I have grave concerns for the future things.

Eh, I don't think they're as influential as they and the media like to think/claim they are. I think more people are sick of them than not. And even if they are influencing some out there, those people would probably be the sort to do stupid stuff anyway, whether these people existed or not. They likely just tapped into a narcissistic element that was already there. 

• Love 5

Pete - how did that Ariana Grande tattoo work out for you?  

His body, he can do whatever he wants but I think it’s a foolish move to tattoo/brand yourself so early in a relationship considering his track history.  Also I kinda think this is a rebound relationship for Kim

• Love 13

If anything, I think that Kim (and the Kardashians) influence on people - NOT just the youth - but people, and culture in general - cannot be OVERstated.  I find it incredibly alarming, far reaching, and terrifying.  (But I will always agree with you that "Frasier" is one of the best shows ever, @Annber03 😉).  Kanye and definitely Pete, I agree on.  Not as much influence.

The Kardashians have influenced so much in how people speak, act, behave, spend their time, look.  Think about how we didn't use Instagram before the Kardashians and now people make a living on there.  The "literally" thing, the vocal fry thing, the uptalk.  They didn't invent it but I don't remember it being around before them.   Contouring, makeup Youtubers, social media influencers, none of this existed to such a wide degree before her time.  20-30 year olds getting Botox, plastic surgery (maybe even younger?). Like I said in another thread I don't remember people under 30 getting Botox before Kim's time but it's incredibly normal now.

I watch "The Bachelor" and sometimes they show clips of the show from the 2000s.  The women look completely different - meaning, they look natural and non plastic.  The divide after 2007 is shocking.  You would never show up on The Bachelor without the requisite fillers, Botox, surgery, fake teeth, etc. today.

Hollywood was all about nose jobs and boob jobs before the Kardashians.  Now LA is about changing your whole face, and maybe your butt too?  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 4
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I know nothing about Kim or her family except they seem like culture vultures and will do anything for publicity, fame, money and influence. 

Actually, you pretty much know everything about Kim and her family.

6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if her mother sees this as an opportunity for something.  Which would really be fucked up.  Kris Jenner knows how dangerous a crazy ex can be. She was best friends with Nicole Brown Simpson. 

I hadn't thought of that, but you are absolutely right.

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Like I said, we're all entitled to our own opinions.  I think a narrower definition of rock and roll should be used for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, although I would definitely include early influences.  Or change the name of it to something more inclusive of various non-rock genres.

I agree. I don't know if the plan when they first opened the place was to be only for rock and roll, but they have tons of people who aren't IMO. They need to either split it up somehow, or change the name.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The "literally" thing, the vocal fry thing, the uptalk.  They didn't invent it but I don't remember it being around before them.

Women have been discriminated against for their language use long before the Kardashians. Maybe they aren't part of my generation, but this kind of fame is very fleeting and I doubt the teenager of today cares too much about them. This seems more like a Millennial thing. And they are in their late 30s early 40s now. So whatever, influence they may have had, something new has certainly come around by now. Mass media seems always a bit behind in covering stuff like that. 

Uptalk, vocal fry, and the war on women's voices

In particular:

"It makes me really angry," Stanford University linguistics professor Penny Eckart told NPR regarding vocal fry criticism. "And it makes me angry, first of all, because the biggest users of vocal fry traditionally have been men, and it still is — men in the U.K., for instance. And it's considered kind of a sign of hyper-masculinity … and by the same token, uptalk, it's clear that in some people's voices that has really become a style, but it has been around forever and people use it stylistically in a variety of ways — both men and women."

There is a concerning lack of hard psycholinguistic evidence supporting speech patterns like vocal fry and uptalk as female-led occurrences. There is, however, emerging research supporting the idea that women who speak with uptalk or vocal fry could find it more difficult to land a job.

I'd be happy to blame the Kardashians for the downfall of American culture but language isn't it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

I think Instagram and the social media influencer thing would have evolved on its own in time anyway. Just like Tik Tok. 
They just happened to get ahead of it, probably due to Kris.

I can’t stand them but I am in awe of Kris Jenners media marketing skills. It seems like they all should have been has-beens/never-weres by now.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Well in happier celebrity romance news, Tom Hiddleston and Zawe Ashton are officially engaged.  Congrats to them!  And despair to all those who think they still have a chance with Tom.

I saw a pic of them at the BAFTAs.   They just look adorable and in love.  She is gorgeous (although the dress she wore did her no favors).   

• Love 7

I had to engage with some early teens the other day. I mentioned the Kardashians thinking, okay, they’ll know that, I’ll seem hip, and wow did I get the “that’s so old and creaky, you ancient lady” from them. People are already moving on from them. 

However, that doesn’t mean some adult men will see Kanye’s behavior and justify their own assholery towards women by citing Kanye. 

These early teen girls were able to discuss body-shaming, gender fluidity and sexual identity in terms well beyond their years. So no despair for me…just yet. 

As to Hiddleston, he hasn’t been hot since he was Magnus in Wallender. Hope they are happy. Another ridiculously looking happy red carpet couple: Jodie and Joshua, even though her dress was an ugly satin bedspread.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The Kardashians have influenced so much in how people speak, act, behave, spend their time, look.  Think about how we didn't use Instagram before the Kardashians and now people make a living on there.  The "literally" thing, the vocal fry thing, the uptalk.  They didn't invent it but I don't remember it being around before them.   

57639198.jpg

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

I've never been a big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger, but in the past year he's put out a couple of videos reflecting on current events through the prism of his family's history.  They're very well done and thought provoking and I really have to applaud him for being so open and talking about some very personal things, like the fact his father was a member of the German army during WWII and the impact this had on his family after the war.  

Seconded. I never cared about him one way or the other, as I am not a fan of his type of movies, but he seems to be an inteligent, genuine person.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’m going to date myself here, but I remember the despair over Moon Zappa’s “Valley Girl speak.” I still use phrases from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heathers, Clueless, and The Breakfast Club. Language is always evolving. Slang is fluid. 

AS IF!!!  

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’m going to date myself here, but I remember the despair over Moon Zappa’s “Valley Girl speak.” I still use phrases from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Heathers, Clueless, and The Breakfast Club. Language is always evolving. Slang is fluid. 

WHAT-EVERRRRR! Or better yet:

image.gif.9647a47dcb3f6da7586e763d97262470.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

As for Pete, again, I know nothing about him and personally find him repulsive, but if it is true about the branding, who brands themselves with the name of a woman he's only been dating a few months?  And Kim Kardashian at that?  Neither one of them are the poster children for permanency or stability in relationships.  Also his egging on Kanye is just childish and stupid.

Pete has borderline personality disorder and a pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships is part of the diagnostic criteria so what he is doing right now his consistent for him. I can’t even imagine what all of this is doing to the kids involved. 

24 minutes ago, supposebly said:

And I haven't forgotten the O.J. Simpson trial. Nicole Simpson also was a woman that needed some better protection from her ex. Which begs the question: Why can't these men be stopped before things go really bad? Must we wait until the death threats come true?

God, this. So many true crime stories where law enforcement literally can't get involved until the threats become physical, and of course, by the time they do get to that point, it's practically too late. 

• Love 16
16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That's my last word on the subject other than this: Dolly Parton absolutely doesn't belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by any possible definition, and good for her for recognizing that. 

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame disagrees with both you and Dolly, as they've kept her on the ballot.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/03/17/dolly-parton-remains-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-ballot/7076229001/

From the article:

In fact, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is replete with legendary country musicians, many of whom also are inductees in the Country Music Hall of Fame. Those include pioneering voices such as Hank Williams, Chet Atkins, Bill Monroe and Brenda Lee.

While the Rock Hall certainly is a shrine to classic rock acts, it has from its inception in 1983 aimed to include musical genres that were key ingredients in the gumbo that is rock 'n' roll. Hall officials said as much in their statement Thursday.

"From its inception, Rock and Roll has had deep roots in Rhythm & Blues and Country music," the statement said. "It is not defined by any one genre, rather a sound that moves youth culture. Dolly Parton’s music impacted a generation of young fans and influenced countless artists that followed. Her nomination to be considered for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame followed the same process as all other artists who have been considered."

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Columbo said:

I'm getting a kind of Nicole Brown Simpson/ OJ Simpson murder vibe from the whole Kim Kardashian/ Kanye West thing too.

The only thing is that before the former Mrs. Simpson's murder, Mr. Simpson's violence and threats against her were very much kept out of the public limelight- and even his solitary pre-murder charge meted against him  barely was known outside Hollywood or football circles. Of course, all the abuses that had happened were horrific and , even after all this time, IMO the public should hold the authorities who were in charge, accountable for how they, at best, made the tiniest wrist-slaps to Mr. Simpson- if not allowed the worst of it to be swept under carpet far too often and for too long possible due to being in awe of his celeb status.

However, the Former/Formal Mr. West's threats against Miss Kardashian and Mr. Davidson ARE well-known at this time and, along with hopefully the authorities having learned from the tragedy of the Simpson case, we can hope that maybe they WILL mete swift and actual consequences against the Former/Formal Mr. West before any violence happens to Miss Kardashian's and Mr. Davidson's person, families, properties. ..or lives. Hopefully.

P.S. Considering how Kris Jenner (at the time) DID claim that the late Nicole Brown Simpson was her best friend, it's rather astonishing (if not appalling) that Ms. Jenner doesn't seem to have drilled into her offspring's heads the need to avoid unstable folks and warned them how to best do so (and the Former/Formal Mr. West hadn't buried his volatile nature under a bush) instead of, at best, accepted and, at worse, encouraged her daughter's having done more than just wave at the Former/Formal Mr. West.  The fact that Ms. Jenner, even having seen one of the most horrific outcomes possible to her claimed onetime bestie, has done nothing to shake her prioritizing seeking fortune and fame via exploiting her claimed loved ones even more than wanting to safeguard and protect them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame disagrees with both you and Dolly, as they've kept her on the ballot.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/03/17/dolly-parton-remains-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-ballot/7076229001/

From the article:

I'm no music expert so I won't pretend to know who should or shouldn't be in the rock hall of fame.  

But if this is their standard, it should just be the music hall of fame or the pop music hall of fame. 

If you're going to call yourself the rock and roll hall of fame, it seems you should have some standard that the artists and groups be associated primarily with that genre in particular. 

Obviously that genre is always evolving and changing and it's not a precise category, but still I would agree, dolly Parton, while I love her as a person and she has had some crossover rock and roll hits, I don't generally consider in that category. 

But then they likely just want as many groups and people in as possible fir the money and tourism.  I think it's a financial decision more than one based on principals or standards for the rock hall

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

P.S. Considering how Kris Jenner (at the time) DID claim that the late Nicole Brown Simpson was her best friend, it's rather astonishing (if not appalling) that Ms. Jenner doesn't seem to have drilled into her offspring's heads the need to avoid unstable folks and warned them how to best do so (and the Former/Formal Mr. West hadn't buried his volatile nature under a bush) instead of, at best, accepted and, at worse, encouraged her daughter's having done more than just wave at the Former/Formal Mr. West.  The fact that Ms. Jenner, even having seen one of the most horrific outcomes possible to her claimed onetime bestie, has done nothing to shake her prioritizing seeking fortune and fame via exploiting her claimed loved ones even more than wanting to safeguard and protect them.

Yes to all of this.  OJ and Nicole has had to have crossed her mind with regards to Kanye and Kim.  

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

The only thing is that before the former Mrs. Simpson's murder, Mr. Simpson's violence and threats against her were very much kept out of the public limelight- and even his solitary pre-murder charge meted against him  barely was known outside Hollywood or football circles. Of course, all the abuses that had happened were horrific and , even after all this time, IMO the public should hold the authorities who were in charge, accountable for how they, at best, made the tiniest wrist-slaps to Mr. Simpson- if not allowed the worst of it to be swept under carpet far too often and for too long possible due to being in awe of his celeb status.

I do wonder if the internet and social media had been around then would OJ have been found out sooner and would he have been cancelled.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I saw a pic of them at the BAFTAs.   They just look adorable and in love.  She is gorgeous (although the dress she wore did her no favors).   

That dress seemed to be designed to hide something she and Tom were not ready to announce just yet.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

I do wonder if the internet and social media had been around then would OJ have been found out sooner and would he have been cancelled.

Not necessarily.  Many abusive partners know how to craft a public image and hide the abuse. They know what is socially acceptable and what isn't even though they're trying to gaslight their victims into believing that they can't control what they do. The manipulation makes it a categorical lie.  I think Kanye's mental illness is a factor here in that he doesn't know how he's coming across.

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

P.S. Considering how Kris Jenner (at the time) DID claim that the late Nicole Brown Simpson was her best friend, it's rather astonishing (if not appalling) that Ms. Jenner doesn't seem to have drilled into her offspring's heads the need to avoid unstable folks and warned them how to best do so (and the Former/Formal Mr. West hadn't buried his volatile nature under a bush) instead of, at best, accepted and, at worse, encouraged her daughter's having done more than just wave at the Former/Formal Mr. West. 

Kanye suffered from mental illness.  Being abusive and having a mental illness can overlap but having a mental illness doesn't automatically make a person abusive. 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Kanye suffered from mental illness.  Being abusive and having a mental illness can overlap but having a mental illness doesn't automatically make a person abusive. 

No it doesn't but a lot of times it is used as an excuse for abusive behavior.  At what point does Kanye's mental illness stop and his being an abusive asshole start?

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

At what point does Kanye's mental illness stop and his being an abusive asshole start?

That assumes he is either or. He is both. That doesn't excuse his behaviour. Not getting the help he needs is another part of it. He's an adult. He has means. He has no excuse not to get help. Other than probably a lot of enablers. But again, not an excuse. An explanation perhaps.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

The BeeGees were inducted into the Rock Hall in 1997. Donna Summer in 2013.  If they can't be considered disco/disco-influenced pop, no one can. There are  other examples.

I meant in the general definition of rock and roll, not the Hall.  Sorry for the confusion.  I think none of those acts should be there either.  Or that it should be named something more general rather than that specific genre name.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That dress seemed to be designed to hide something she and Tom were not ready to announce just yet.  

Reminds me of when Joshua Jackson and Jodie Turner-Smith walked the red carpet at AFI fest in November 2019 she was wearing an empire waist flowy purple gown.  They had been together for a bit but I think that was the first time they made their romance "red carpet official".  That picture prompted a lot of speculation that she was pregnant.  The dress was structured in such a way and she was still not really big enough that it could have all been illusion.  Turns out she was which  was confirmed a few months later in February 2020.

I don't like Zawe's dress in the pic.  Really surprised how much fashion bloggers love it.  But yeah, it is ripe for speculation.

• Useful 3