Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

@Dani This is from the article. If there's a way to fact-check it, I wish someone would. Presumably the outlets just reposting the article could also source marriage and baptismal records. 

https://deadline.com/2022/10/sacheen-littlefeather-fact-or-fiction-academy-museum-owes-exhibit-1235153768/

This article talks about an interview with Jacqueline Stewart. What is journalism? Is everyone incapable of fact-checking? It shouldn't be that difficult to verify some of these details and it should be standard practice against misinformation.

I don’t think it is as simple as just fact checking when it involves records like this. It seems unlikely that the records are all digital or complete. Then you have researcher bias. It makes me uncomfortable that anyone is making blanket and definitive statements about history going back hundreds of years. The fact that this is all happening just after she dies and can’t defend herself makes it extremely distasteful.

But all of that is really separate from my feeling that much of the rhetoric at play is racist and troubling. It is telling to me that the people that I am seeing express outrage aren’t part of the culture actually impacted. 

Is anyone even trying? Fair point if the records are incomplete but if they're not digitized, that's just laziness. You can obtain paper records. 

I am skeptical of the woman who published the opinion article and Sacheen's sisters. But I didn't know anything of her self-described history before this and some of it comes across as... embellished. 

I'm not outraged if she chose to lie. She's passed on and there are no claims of harm except from her family. I am disheartened that no one wants to put in an ounce of research into Sacheen's claims to defend her beyond dragging up receipts against her sisters or the journalist but that's why I mostly stay off twitter. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
28 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Is anyone even trying? Fair point if the records are incomplete but if they're not digitized, that's just laziness. You can obtain paper records. 

I am skeptical of the woman who published the opinion article and Sacheen's sisters. But I didn't know anything of her self-described history before this and some of it comes across as... embellished. 

I'm not outraged if she chose to lie. She's passed on and there are no claims of harm except from her family. I am disheartened that no one wants to put in an ounce of research into Sacheen's claims to defend her beyond dragging up receipts against her sisters or the journalist but that's why I mostly stay off twitter. 

The problem with this is that systemic racism provides a large incentive for those who can "pass" to do so. Lots of people will call themselves white when the alternative is "face systemic barriers to accessing even your most basic of needs." And similar pressures exist on the other side of the color line as well--especially when the main way to sell your area as a safe/desirable location has historically been "Look at the lack of POC!" Others have already mentioned that it was common for census takers to decide on the races of those they were counting. 

As to paper, paper records are extremely easy to destroy/lose (not to mention extremely flammable) and many archives of the past were aggressive in culling out records that they perceived to be unimportant. There is no guarantee the paper records still exist. Also, "very few people of x ethnicity lived here" is not the same thing as "no people of x lived here," and being outside of community only increases the pressures to assimilate/pass, so that factoid is not doing the work for me that Keeler wants it to.

Regardless, as an outsider, if the people whose story she's purported to have stolen (and it could be that she did invent this story, I don't know) are saying, "either way, we claim her as ours," who are the rest of us to say differently? She certainly walked the walk which is more than I can say of the current crop of culture vulture celebrities this country loves elevating. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 14

As to paper, paper records are extremely easy to destroy/lose (not to mention extremely flammable) and many archives of the past were aggressive in culling out records that they perceived to be unimportant. There is no guarantee the paper records still exist.

This is a weird point to keep arguing. I'm saying if Jacqueline Keeler found the records the first time, it should be easy to verify. If not, that puts her claims into doubt. And overall, I'm just tired of "journalism" being summarizing information obtained by someone else but that's a conversation unrelated to celebrity news. 

Regardless, as an outsider, if the people whose story she's purported to have stolen (and it could be that she did invent this story, I don't know) are saying, "either way, we claim her as ours," who are the rest of us to say differently? 

Fair. Those opinions will shift in different communities and based on the specific individuals in question, and if they want to claim her regardless, that's their prerogative. I'm just hesitant to sign on to the twitter mindset that people you like are automatically trustworthy and if someone has behaved badly, it discredits everything else about them. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
15 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

This is a weird point to keep arguing. I'm saying if Jacqueline Keeler found the records the first time, it should be easy to verify. If not, that puts her claims into doubt. And overall, I'm just tired of "journalism" being summarizing information obtained by someone else but that's a conversation unrelated to celebrity news. 

This is fair, but if she's offering marriage and baptismal records as proof of anything other than a marriage or baptism happening on a given date (and she is), she's not starting from a place of rigor or ethics, and that should absolutely be apart of evaluating her content and whether or not it meets journalistic standards. It's not just her past history--her main argument here is that Sacheen's father is Mexican and therefore they are not native; that's ludicrous on its own merits. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
36 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

This is a weird point to keep arguing. I'm saying if Jacqueline Keeler found the records the first time, it should be easy to verify. If not, that puts her claims into doubt.

I may be misreading the article but aren’t we talking about documents covering over a hundred years in multiple locations in two different countries? That’s not going to be easy to verify and most other publications are not going to have the desire to fact check what is being said. 

I don’t think it even matters if everything she is saying is true because what she says doesn’t actually prove that Sacheen was lying. It only proves she couldn’t find evidence that it was true. As @GiuliettaMasina says there are a lot of reasons why the evidence not existing isn’t all that telling. Now if she was saying Sacheen can’t be Native because her family roots are documented back to Iceland that would be compelling but she can’t be Native because her roots are documented back to Mexico just isn’t. 

Honestly, I'm more interested in the other claims. Did she lie about her father and co-opt his backstory? Did they live in a shack without a toilet? Did she invent the name Sacheen (or was she just confused on its meaning) and the backstory for Littlefeather? Was that really the treatment in the mental hospital? Did she participate in the occupation of Alcatraz?

That's what made the original opinion article compelling to me... that Sacheen was presented as a scammer who was inventing these stories about who she was and what had happened to her. 

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Honestly, I'm more interested in the other claims. Did she lie about her father and co-opt his backstory? Did they live in a shack without a toilet? Did she invent the name Sacheen (or was she just confused on its meaning) and the backstory for Littlefeather? Was that really the treatment in the mental hospital? Did she participate in the occupation of Alcatraz?

I am also and the op-ed is frustratingly light on supporting documents. One of the sisters says she has pictures of the home like that is proof they didn’t live in a shack but it’s not included. There are also no picture of the sisters together as children and no mentions of their ages. Sacheen was 75 and I generally suck at judging age but they both look noticeably younger to me. The father died when Sacheen was 20 so if the sisters weren’t close in age their experiences and memories can be very different. There are several things in their version that strikes an odd note with me.

Sacheen did say that her father had an abusive childhood and she also talked about her stay in the mental hospital. 

That's ok, his ex wife's sister Kylie still is. 

He can relax, none of them are going to go without Botox and lip plumper without him there to "prop them up".

What a asshole.  I hope he burns through every dime he has.   

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

My favorite part about the Kanye/Sketchers story is that the founder and family that runs the company is Jewish.

Has this man never heard of Google?

I noticed that too and it cracked me up. I really do think Kanye lives in a bubble that his wealth and fame has provided, and he is in for a very rude awakening now that he has imploded it all. 

Before he lost the Adidas deal, he was even publicly claiming he could say whatever hateful shit he wanted and they couldn't break the deal with him.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Before he lost the Adidas deal, he was even publicly claiming he could say whatever hateful shit he wanted and they couldn't break the deal with him.  

They showed that clip on Colbert last night! He was so cocky when he said that. Talk about egg on your face. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Bookworm13 said:

Nick Cannon expecting baby #12 with Alyssa Scott. She was the mother of Nick’s son who passed away last year. 

I don't know about the rest of you but it does give me pause, and a little bit of 'ick,' that he must have gotten her pregnant no more than four to five months after their son died.

• Sad 18
16 hours ago, PepSinger said:

My favorite part about the Kanye/Sketchers story is that the founder and family that runs the company is Jewish.

Has this man never heard of Google?

I'm sure he knows, that's probably why he picked them. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

He also thinks death con is a thing and has bragged before that he never reads. I'm not really convinced that anything he does is particularly strategic or well thought out. DEFCON, Kanye. DEFCON. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

My mom passed away last month but every time Kanye would make the news she would yell out "Go Away Kanye! Nobody listens to you!" at her TV. 

I'm sorry about your mother.

I was in college when the whole Kanye/Taylor Swift thing happened, and the next year, we were doing presentations in a 20th century American Lit class. One of my classmates was very rude, and another one was very nice but not terribly competent at presentations. The not terribly competent one was presenting, and the rude one started to interrupt her. Our professor shut it down with "Hey no Kanyes in this class!" LOLOL And that managed to derail the whole presentation way more than the interruption because everyone started giggling. 

To this day, my friends from that class and I tell each other, "Hey no Kanyes in this class!" when someone starts to interrupt.

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 9

David Foster, the 72-year-old composer who has been married five times and has six children who range in age from 20 months to 52 years, is feeling good about his life. Foster is currently married to Katharine McPhee, 38, who gave birth to the couple’s son Rennie almost two years ago. Foster told People today that he doesn’t regret becoming a dad again in his 70s.

“I haven't regretted a single day of it,” he said. “I've loved every single day.”

Aw. He elaborated, “It's the standard thing of like, ‘Oh, well you were so young when you had your children and you were working day and night, you never saw them.’ And there is some truth to that, sadly, for my [older] kids. I was just working a lot. Even though I'm working a lot now, I'll cancel anything just to hang with him. It's just different.”

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/david-foster-feels-real-chill-about-having-a-baby-in-his-70s

Dane Cook, a 50-year-old comedian you can ask your parents about, has been dating his fiancée since she was 18 years old. After celebrating her birthday yesterday, she is now the frankly almost disgusting age of 24. Happy birthday to the ancient gentlewoman.

You’d think being engaged to a pilates instructor (she’s a pilates instructor) less than half of his age would be a sore spot for the aged comedian, but actually? He and his child bride are just L-O-Ling about it and having a regular ol’ blast.

“Going into the relationship, we knew that people would have an opinion in the public eye,” Cook told People in a recent interview. (Going into the relationship, as a reminder, Kelsi Taylor was 18 — not that you should have an opinion about that and, actually, don’t you dare.) How did they cope? Why, how else but with laughter.

“We were very early making jokes,” Cook said. “I would say something like, ‘I’d love to have a family,’ and she would say, ‘Oh, I’d love to have a family when I’m young,’ and I’d say, ‘Well, I’d like that as well because I’d like to hold my children on my death bed.'”

It’s called yes-anding, it makes sense, and it’s hilarious. "Being able to poke fun at it and have some jokes at our own expense, I think it prepared us for what was going to happen," he said. "Which is people were going to put us as a target, so if we make the joke first and we're laughing at it, you can't really hurt us with that."

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/dane-cook-kelsi-taylor-age-laughing

I can't tell if People is being weird or the celebs are

• Like 1
15 hours ago, GaT said:

Yep.   So when they declined to work with him he could say "see I was write about them."   

On 10/26/2022 at 5:46 PM, MissAlmond said:

Actor Jenifer Lewis opens up on being victim of romance scammer.  

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/black-ish-star-jenifer-lewis-on-being-romance-scam-victim

GOOD for her.    Guy thought she wouldn't report it because it would make her look bad.   Honey, she has real money.   That she can use to get good lawyers.   Which she did.   And now your ass is in jail for 8 years.   Gonna have to catch this episode.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Is there any reason to publicly reveal that you didn’t really want a second child?  And then comment about how she doesn’t resemble either parent, but you’re gonna keep her anyway?  Omg….she was only had to provide the first child a sibling.  Did they consider how this would make a child feel?  She’s seven now, but come on…..this breaks my heart for those kids.  Every day, I become increasingly concerned about the way some celebrity parents are utilizing their young kids on the internet.  They need some protection, imo. 

https://pagesix.com/2022/10/28/why-dax-shepard-kristen-bell-didnt-want-second-child/

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 13
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is there any reason to publicly reveal that you didn’t really want a second child?  And then comment about how she doesn’t resemble either parent, but you’re gonna keep her anyway?  Omg….she was only had to provide the first child a sibling.  Did they consider how this would make a child feel?  She’s seven now, but come on…..this breaks my heart for those kids.  Every day, I become increasingly concerned about the way some celebrity parents are utilizing their young kids on the internet.  They need some protection, imo. 

https://pagesix.com/2022/10interviews. They are weird./28/why-dax-shepard-kristen-bell-didnt-want-second-child/

I've seen them in interviews and they are definitely weird.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Bookworm13 said:

In news that I don’t think will surprise anyone, Tom and Gisele are divorcing. 

https://people.com/sports/tom-brady-gisele-bundchen-to-file-divorce/

It’s good they worked it out amicably.  I hope his career choice was worth it.  I’ve never understood why a successful person who has had a long career and who is financially secure wants to keep going…despite risk to their health.  Personal fulfillment, I suppose.  Or ego.  I don’t get it, but I’m not a football fan.  Couldn’t he do another type of job?  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Couldn’t he do another type of job?  

He had signed a very lucrative broadcasting contract before he unretired, so yes he certainly could have. Personally I think Brady has some pretty deep-seated issues, and he seems to have no life outside of football, so I am not sure how much he really wanted to face a life without football. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

https://pagesix.com/2022/10/28/why-dax-shepard-kristen-bell-didnt-want-second-child/

They don't show their kid's faces but they tell stories like this?  

59 minutes ago, rcc said:

I've seen them in interviews and they are definitely weird.

I always liked her. I loved Veronica Mars.  But now whenever I see her I can't help but think of all the weird stuff they say and do.  And he always looks dirty to me. Like he hasn't showered or changed clothes in a week.

58 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Couldn’t he do another type of job?  

As @Zella said, yes he has a job at Fox waiting for him to talk about football.

34 minutes ago, Zella said:

He had signed a very lucrative broadcasting contract before he unretired, so yes he certainly could have. Personally I think Brady has some pretty deep-seated issues, and he seems to have no life outside of football, so I am not sure how much he really wanted to face a life without football. 

If football was more important to him than his wife and kids I think his wife and kids will be better off without him in the house.   Sometimes the most lonely you can be is when your husband/parent is physically there but mentally/emotionally somewhere else. 

• Like 5
  • Love 12
32 minutes ago, Zella said:

I liked him up until he did an interview after winning multiple Super Bowls and being married to Giselle where he was still complaining about being drafted in the 6th round.  It just came off as being a sore loser when he was never a loser.  Did he really want the Jets to pick him over Chad Pennington or the Browns picking him over Spergon Wynn?  He got to the right team and was developed by the right coach.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

If football was more important to him than his wife and kids I think his wife and kids will be better off without him in the house.   Sometimes the most lonely you can be is when your husband/parent is physically there but mentally/emotionally somewhere else. 

Yeah I can't help but wonder how insulted his family is that he talked about retiring to spend more time with him and after all of 40 days, he's like "Actually just kidding. I'm going back to football." I mean, obviously we can tell how insulted Gisele is, but that has to really sting for his kids too. 

Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

I liked him up until he did an interview after winning multiple Super Bowls and being married to Giselle where he was still complaining about being drafted in the 6th round.  It just came off as being a sore loser when he was never a loser.  Did he really want the Jets to pick him over Chad Pennington or the Browns picking him over Spergon Wynn?  He got to the right team and was developed by the right coach.

I also didn't used to mind him in the early days, but he does seem to have a real complex about how low he was drafted and basically everything I've read about him for a long time has made him seem really unpleasant and weird. After such a historic career, you'd think he'd get over it and move on. But apparently not. 

• Like 2
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

he was still complaining about being drafted in the 6th round.  It just came off as being a sore loser when he was never a loser. 

This reminds me of someone else who just can't seem to get over things.

11 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah I can't help but wonder how insulted his family is that he talked about retiring to spend more time with him and after all of 40 days, he's like "Actually just kidding. I'm going back to football." I mean, obviously we can tell how insulted Gisele is, but that has to really sting for his kids too. 

I also didn't used to mind him in the early days, but he does seem to have a real complex about how low he was drafted and basically everything I've read about him for a long time has made him seem really unpleasant and weird. After such a historic career, you'd think he'd get over it and move on. But apparently not. 

For everyone else the story of him being drafted in the sixth round and having the career that he has had is uplifting and shows people you never know what is going to happen to you.  But for Tom Brady it's like he is holding a grudge and instead of being proud of all that he has accomplished he is still trying to prove he deserved to be drafted higher.  

• Love 15
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

These two are complete out of touch morons. They literally just sit around all day doing therapy and talking about themselves. They think they’re relatable but they’re anything but. The more they interview the less likeable they become.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9