Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Almost everyone I know detests Tom Cruise because of his beliefs. I guess it depends on who you know. 🤷‍♀️

And you all have every right to that.  I don't actually know (as in actually know, with real names and stuff) anyone that has a problem with Chris Pratt, but looking at the internet he's apparently "the worst".  I was talking about the click bait online meme culture, not people in my personal circle.  My badly expressed point was that there are much more questionable people out there, but for some reason it has become cool to hate Chris Pratt and I really don't understand that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ouinason said:

My badly expressed point was that there are much more questionable people out there, but for some reason it has become cool to hate Chris Pratt and I really don't understand that.

He just makes it so darned easy.

• Applause 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

73rd

She looks great!! I turned 73 last month and I look about 20 years older than her! Of course I'm sure she can afford all the best in body care.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ouinason said:

My badly expressed point was that there are much more questionable people out there, but for some reason it has become cool to hate Chris Pratt and I really don't understand that.

People are like lemmings, especially since the advent of social media. Chris Pratt is the current target. "everyone hates him" so everyone hates him. It's kind of like when people watch a show they don't actually enjoy watching but it won an Emmy so they feel they have to watch it to be part of the majority, or to be able to relate to friends who watch it, or "join the conversation".

Tom Cruise went through his round of "everybody hates him" but that's old news, the lemmings have moved on. 

Now, I'm not saying that everyone who hates Chris Pratt, or Tom Cruise or anything, is a lemming. There are legitimate reasons to like and or dislike almost anyone. I've just seen the great migration of public opinion too many times not to notice the pattern. We are social creatures. It's natural to want to "fit in" with whatever is trendy at the moment. And Pratt Hate is trendy right now. 

My personal view on him is that there is way more Andy from Parks and Rec in him than Starlord and while I don't care for him personally I have enjoyed him in most of the things I've seen him in. I just wish he wasn't quite such an idiot. I don't think he's hateful, just gullible and easily swayed. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Makai said:

The think that I don’t really understand about Pratt is that the criticism is always pretty minor until he makes it worse. Like when he got reprimanded by NBC for flashing his penis on set. It wouldn’t have been a story at all if he hadn’t decide to use it as a funny anecdote in interviews. The worst Chris poll wouldn’t have gotten widespread attention if his team hadn’t had his friends come to his defense. The pet rehoming story would have been minor if he hadn’t gotten defensive and had a temper tantrum in a blog post. The second he responds it goes from minor to major and causes people to start talking and rehashing.

That’s even true of this story. No one was talking about it before his interview. 

The Streisand effect--you'd think he'd have learned by now.  Like I said, not too bright.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I think if people are having a conversation about Chris Pratt and I add a comment to that conversation, it doesn’t make me a lemming. If he’d shut up and stop doing interviews that make him look like an even bigger ass, no one would be talking about him. It has nothing to do with following the crowd. It’s commentary on the news of the day. Pratt is everywhere right now because he’s promoting a movie. 

And Chris Pratt doesn’t get my love because he clearly so desperately wants it. I’m contrary like that. Also, I don’t care for comic book movies and have never seen Parks and Rec. Nothing the dude can do will make me interested in those products. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

Actually "Parks and Rec" is so NOT about Chris Pratt, except for a few non-critical storylines and some random goofiness.  He's more background than any real focus.  Leslie and Ron (Amy and Nick) are the heart & soul.  

Regardless, I'm just not getting any deliberate, targeted and Machiavellian plot by Chris Pratt to become THE BIGGEST STAH EVAH.  

Whatever, on to the next loser!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ouinason said:

Tom Cruise has said and done way more questionable things, and IMO actually harmful to the public things, that Chris Pratt has ever been accused of and I don't see the same level of hate for him.  Where are the "worst Tom" memes (Tom Hanks is an angel, it's right there!!) and the snide remarks?

There aren't "worst Tom" contests because the Toms don't really have much to do with one another.  The Chris actors are all in the Marvel universe together.

Tom did get a lot of hate.  In fact, I think his movies underperformed in the US for almost two decades because of it. They were still successful but I think they could have been much bigger stateside than they were.  But unlike Chris, he learned to shut up.  He doesn't talk about scientology.  He isn't trying to sell himself as a family man any longer.  After Katie Holmes, he just became a movie making robot which he is very very good at. 

That's why people aren't talking about stupid things he has said because he has stopped saying stupid things.  Pratt has not.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 16

I mean, I guess you could make a worst Tom meme with Cruise, Hanks, Hiddleston, and Holland. Though if you expand past actors, Brady is also a pretty bad Tom. 

Anyway, there's no way to explain what catches the internet's (usually twitter) attention. I do think it had something to do with all the guys named Chris being in the same age range and up for the same superhero/blockbuster roles. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Anyway, there's no way to explain what catches the internet's (usually twitter) attention. I do think it had something to do with all the guys named Chris being in the same age range and up for the same superhero/blockbuster roles. 

And all generically attractive white dudes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

Whenever there is a discussion about the Chrises I think of Pine’s SNL monologue on the subject.

For quite awhile it was a completely positive comparison. 

49 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Honestly Chris Evans is the only one I could pick out of a lineup, and that's just because I've watched Knives Out. They all just  blend together to me. Sort of like most of the Chrises I went to school with. (No offense to anyone named Chris.)

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I honestly don't know that I've seen anything any of them have been in. I have heard about how Chris Evans tends to be on Twitter and whatnot, though, and based off that, he seems pretty cool :). 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I honestly don't know that I've seen anything any of them have been in. I have heard about how Chris Evans tends to be on Twitter and whatnot, though, and based off that, he seems pretty cool :). 

Yes he seems like a pretty cool dude from what little I know. But Knives Out is my only reference point for a role. LOL 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Definitely generic, attractive to some, I guess. I hate superhero, action, marvel, etc movies so I miss most of this alleged online hate. I don’t see it in my Twitter feeds. 

32 minutes ago, Zella said:

Honestly Chris Evans is the only one I could pick out of a lineup, and that's just because I've watched Knives Out. They all just  blend together to me. Sort of like most of the Chrises I went to school with. (No offense to anyone named Chris.)

Chris Pratt is the only one I could pick out, and that’s because of Parks and Rec. I haven’t seen anything else he’s been in.

• Love 5

Actually, lemmings do not jump off cliffs. The Disney filmmakers killed them. I'm surprised it's gotten so little attention.

White Wilderness was an installment in the True-Life Adventures series, Disney’s first foray into nonfiction filmmaking and the precursor to Disneynature, its modern-day subsidiary which produces films like African Cats and Born in China. Almost all of the True-Life Adventures films were helmed by James Algar, a Disney animator best-known for the iconic Sorcerer’s Apprentice segment of Fantasia. (Later in his career, he’d write the script for Disneyland’s uncanny animatronic Abraham Lincoln.)...

In 1982, the Canadian newsmagazine The Fifth Estate broadcast Cruel Camera, an investigation of animal cruelty in the film industry by reporter Bob McKeown, which gave special emphasis to the many trickeries of True-Life Adventures...The filmic forgery reached another level with White Wilderness, which famously shows the “death march” of a legion of lemmings flinging themselves off a cliff...

It’s a fraudulent segment on a number of levels. First, the sequence wasn’t even filmed in the Arctic, but in Alberta, Canada, where lemmings do not live. Lemmings also don’t throw themselves off cliffs — it’s a widely believed but misguided myth that the small species is prone to mass suicide, one propagated in large part by White Wilderness. Carrick, who was a cameraman on the production, alleged that the filmmakers paid kids in Manitoba 25 cents to wrangle lemmings and then transport them south for filming. The crew members constructed spinning turntables covered in snow to jostle the lemmings and send them tumbling, and then proceeded to throw them off the cliff . The resulting footage was edited to make the mass animal killing look like natural suicide. 

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 6
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Zella said:

Even though I like Evans I'm not sure I could pick him out.  Chris Pine I could definitely pick out because of his gorgeous eyes. Hemsworth and his brothers all look the same to me.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I mean, I guess you could make a worst Tom meme with Cruise, Hanks, Hiddleston, and Holland. 

I think a best/worst Tom thing would make a more interesting debate than the stupid Chris thing. I also think a best/worst Elizabeth would also be more interesting (Moss, Olsen, Banks, and I don't know Taylor?) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Even though I like Evans I'm not sure I could pick him out.  Chris Pine I could definitely pick out because of his gorgeous eyes. Hemsworth and his brothers all look the same to me.

Not sure if I could pick them out of a line up, but I would love to have the opportunity to try!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Makai said:

The thing that I don’t really understand about Pratt is that the criticism is always pretty minor until he makes it worse. Like when he got reprimanded by NBC for flashing his penis on set. It wouldn’t have been a story at all if he hadn’t decide to use it as a funny anecdote in interviews. The worst Chris poll wouldn’t have gotten widespread attention if his team hadn’t had his friends come to his defense. The pet rehoming story would have been minor if he hadn’t gotten defensive and had a temper tantrum in a blog post. The second he responds it goes from minor to major and causes people to start talking and rehashing.

That’s even true of this story. No one was talking about it before his interview. 

IOW, it seems Mr, Pratt is so adverse to the concept of discretion that not only does he rarely if ever practice it but is evidently ungrateful when others use it attempt to protect his rep. Did his actual bio parents dump him as  a baby for  frat house to raise? It sure sounds like it!

• Useful 1

The thing about the best/worst Chris thing is, originally it was a fun joke. I've seen all four of them at some point laugh about it (see clip of Evan...Hemswo...Pra...Pine, Chris Pine joking about it. Then Pratt was named worst Chris and got all bent out of shape. He was in on the joke before then, when any of the others ranked lower than him. He strikes me as a dude bro who likes joshing with his boys until he becomes the butt of one of their jokes. The others all come across as more comfortable in who they are and able to laugh off a silly joke at their expense. IDK their ages, but he comes across as the youngest brother who has to prove he's as good as all his perfect brothers. 

Funny thing is, I liked him a lot until I started watching interviews with him. He's very pretty to look at but really shouldn't be allowed to speak without a script. 

Also, "Chris" is apparently my type because those are some beautiful looking men IMO.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

The 'Best Chris' joke wouldn't translate well with other 'best <same first name>' actors because it was an organic thing that didn't just come about because they share the same name.  As others have already noted, they intersect in so many ways.

They are all about the same age within 1-2 years.  They all headlined  major blockbuster franchises about the same time.  They all look enough alike - white, handsome, blue eyes. light hair -- the the extent that people were mixing them up.   They all seem to circulate in the same orbit with each other and their co-stars.  The cherry on the top that tied it all together is that all their names were Chris.  So it is a synergistic thing that would be hard to replicate just by finding any four actors of the same name.  

It is like the joke about Dylan McDermott and Dermott Mulroney how people mix them up because of their names and how they look similar and tend to star in the same sort of projects.

And I agree, it was just a fun twitter joke that would have passed on after a day or two of trending if MCU actors hadn't decided they were real superheroes and put on a cape for him.  It was frankly embarrassing since the drubbing he was getting was rather benign for the most part.  Until they all chimed in, which of course made it worse.

• Like 3
  • Love 20
55 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

It is like the joke about Dylan McDermott and Dermott Mulroney how people mix them up because of their names and how they look similar and tend to star in the same sort of projects.

Yes, I remember Dermot joking about it, lol.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Evans is a minor legend now in the knitting community, as he wore an amazing cable knit sweater in the movie "Knives Out". 

The pattern is literally called the "Handsome Chris" and is available for free, so thousands of knitters are out there getting a bit of the Evans magic.  He really DOES do it justice. 

Handsome Chris.jpg

I honestly am not sure if I’ve ever even seen him before. But generic looking “handsome” white guys don’t do much for me. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Cinnabon
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

My favorite interchangeable actor anecdote is Timothy Olyphant sending out Christmas cards of Josh Duhamel with Olyphant's family on them as a joke because people always confuse them, and his own mother not realizing it wasn't him. 😂😂😂😂😂 But Duhamel and Olyphant both seem to have a pretty good sense of humor about it. 

Isla Fisher once did the same thing. 😄

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I honestly am not sure if I’ve ever even seen him before. But generic looking “handsome” white guys don’t do much for me. 🤷‍♀️

I do think Evans is good looking but his popularity is more about his personality. Like there were photos of him helping to sweep up in costume while filming the Avengers. Or his obvious love for dogs. I think the interview with him and puppies was posted here recently. He just seems like a genuinely good guy and that makes him infinitely more attractive. 

Pratt seems like a “good guy” which makes him very easy to dislike. 

2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Isla Fisher once did the same thing. 😄

Haha that's awesome! Apparently Olyphant's brother was the only one who noticed and he told their mom while she was bragging about the card. And she was like "oh I wondered why Tim seemed taller." 😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I do think Evans is good looking but his popularity is more about his personality. Like there were photos of him helping to sweep up in costume while filming the Avengers. Or is obvious love for dogs. I think the interview with him and puppies was posted here recently. He just seems like a genuinely good guy and that makes him infinitely more attractive.

The internet swooned over this moment, too:

• Love 14
(edited)

I love that in 2015 Chris Evans (Captain America) and Chris Pratt (Starlord) both went to Seattle Children's Hospital, with Chris Evans  in costume to visit patients. 

The two had a bet and the loser had to visit the children's hospital in costume, Chris Evans won, but he still visited.   They both went to Boston's Childrens Hospital too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 14
On 7/2/2022 at 1:25 AM, Dani said:

Whenever there is a discussion about the Chrises I think of Pine’s SNL monologue on the subject.

For quite awhile it was a completely positive comparison. 

I didn't know he could sing.   I always have a soft spot for Chris Pine, because his dad was Sgt. Gertraer in CHiPS.   No I did not watch it for Erik Estrada, I watched it for the pretty blonde guys who were his partners.    Yes I am shallow.   Also I am old apparently.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
On 7/2/2022 at 6:31 AM, aradia22 said:

I mean, I guess you could make a worst Tom meme with Cruise, Hanks, Hiddleston, and Holland. Though if you expand past actors, Brady is also a pretty bad Tom. 

I think there could be a Ryan group, with Reynolds, Gosling and Phillippe, if we can come up with one more?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I think there could be a Ryan group, with Reynolds, Gosling and Phillippe, if we can come up with one more?

The rom com Ryans: Reynolds, Gosling, Phillippe and Meg. 😂

I find Chris Pine really hot.  Lost in all these discussions is any mention of him, but I just straight up find him the most physically attractive.  I also love when people on Twitter make sure to bring up Chris Pang from Crazy Rich Asians.

YzO-zuTy_400x400.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.13.22 PM.png

• Like 7
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9

In regards to Chris Pratt, I have always felt he was just a doofus. A guy who got some lucky breaks. Pratt needs to learn how to zone out criticism. I do wonder how he landed Katherine Schwarzenegger. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5