Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I think it is both. Thank goodness people are more empowered these days. In the 80s I worked for a company with a bunch of good old boys. I put up with a lot of crap that wouldn’t fly these days. 
I think most people are more empowered and quite a few are more easily offended. Thus, in a work environment, err on the side a caution.

Unfortunately, while it’s easier and more accepted to report inappropriate behavior in the workplace, often doing so will still result in the employee who made the report being seen as “difficult” and not someone likely to be promoted.

• Love 6

Are they more easily offended or are they more empowered to voice their offensive? 

No, I definitely think it's both. As much as people have been empowered to not let abusive or offensive behavior go ignored and unaddressed, I think there's also been an overstatement of harm in some instances fueled by the mainstreaming of various discourses and pop psychology and the feeling that you must portray yourself as a victim to be entitled to compassion.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Unfortunately, while it’s easier and more accepted to report inappropriate behavior in the workplace, often doing so will still result in the employee who made the report being seen as “difficult” and not someone likely to be promoted.

And probably let go.

1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I see where everyone's coming from. I get along with most people. But years ago there was this woman I worked with who was very rude, bossy, argumentative, always starting trouble over nothing. Think the office Karen. Many people had issues with her over the years. One day I'd had enough and asked for a desk somewhere else. One of the men I ended up sitting by had a thing for me and didn't take rejection well. He harassed me on a daily basis. I tried to handle it the best I could until he finally got a job somewhere else. I never said anything because I didn't want to be seen as difficult. I knew I wasn't a difficult person, just had bad luck. But at that time, I was scared of what it would look like-having issues with two different people in a row. I later found out I wasn't the only person to dislike said man either.

When women have issues with other women, it can be that stereotypical "oh catty, drama, typical of women" nonsense. And reporting sexual harassment is a whole other ball game. Everyone's scared of dealing with it, and I think everyone treads more softly with a woman who reports it. I've worked in an office full of men, and when we'd discuss celebrity scandals that involved rape/assault, I made a point to be outspoken. I wanted the men to know not to mess with me. I'm not someone who's going to freak out by flirting or inappropriate comments. But I have limits with what I'll put up with. 

If you are a celebrity, I'd imagine you really watch what you say and do so you don't get labeled difficult for the rest of your career. What really sucks is that there are so many creepers in Hollywood. I feel for the women who dealt with someone like Harvey Weinstein, but also had other instances of harassment. They must be scared to death to report stuff in fear of being seen as problematic. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Dani said:

Are they more easily offended or are they more empowered to voice their offensive? 

Yes? Kind of?

Strictly keeping this about celebrities, the incident with Will Smith at the Oscars and all the recent talk about Amber Heard has been quite enlightening, and not always in a good way. Is it empowerment to be able to strike someone in public, even if its "just a slap"?. Because it's never just a slap, is it? The only reason we didn't outright call it assault is because it was a man hitting another man, and yet Smith was not arrested and didn't spend the night in jail. So he's banned from the ceremony for a decade. That's hardly a punishment, since unless you actually win an award the evening isn't about you.

As for Amber Heard, even the mentions of her being likely just as toxic as Johnny Depp have fallen by the wayside in favor of, "well, but he has a history of bad behavior, and he's fat and bloated and not hot anymore, plus he's a drunk", even though alcoholism is a disease and may have (probably did) contribute to his current state and behavior. If she's not the perfect victim, neither is he, it's just that her instigating fights is somehow more acceptable. Maybe if she had slapped Chris Rock, we could look at her askance without it being problematic.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

No, I definitely think it's both. As much as people have been empowered to not let abusive or offensive behavior go ignored and unaddressed, I think there's also been an overstatement of harm in some instances fueled by the mainstreaming of various discourses and pop psychology and the feeling that you must portray yourself as a victim to be entitled to compassion.

Reporting inappropriate behaviors doesn’t mean the reporter is a “victim,” it means that she/he considers it unacceptable and wants it to stop, immediately. It’s not about compassion either - just about not tolerating any inappropriate behavior and expecting coworkers to act professionally at all times. Zero tolerance. Most who report aren’t looking for people to feel sorry for them at all 🤷‍♀️

What “pop psychology” are you referring to, specifically?

1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

And probably let go.

It would be illegal to fire someone for reporting abuse, but that doesn’t mean the employer won’t find another reason to use in the future.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

That happened to me and from a commissioner who lied me. I dared to speak up about an abusive boss and suffered the political consequences, and this was in 2007, not that long ago. I was difficult and changed the trajectory of my career at that organization meaning, I left because I had no career advancement available to me)

I obviously did an a bad job of explaining my original comment regarding the line between joking and inappropriateness. Which is an example of it being what the receiver perceives. Thus, you should always be careful of the words you use in the workplace. That being said, something’s it seems like any comment can be easily misconstrued or made into more that it is.

• Useful 5

What “pop psychology” are you referring to, specifically?

I've finally been digging into the West Elm Caleb stuff and it has me thinking about the mainstreaming of all of the language of abuse and harassment. Added to the language of academic feminism and race and gender discourse... Lovebombing, gaslighting, microaggressions, etc. I feel like they're all useful in their given contexts but their meaning is getting lost in the churn of internet discourse and what we really need is language that addresses a multitude of harms without calling everything assault and abuse. Everyone is entitled to compassion but every situation does not merit the same response. 

There are plenty of words to describe somebody like Caleb: deceitful, manipulative, inconsiderate, liar. There is in fact a word, one we can’t print here, created entirely for men like this. But in the souped-up language of today, none of those words seem like enough. “All pain is ‘harm.’ All ‘harm’ is ‘trauma.’ All ‘trauma’ comes from someone who is an ‘abuser,’” said Natalie Wynn, a philosopher turned popular YouTube personality. “It’s as if people can’t articulate disagreement or hardships without using this language.” And so, Caleb became a “predator.”

Call it post-traumatic hyperbole. Or TikTok pseudo-psychology. Or even therapy-speak. There are plenty of horrible things going on in the world, and serious mental health crises that warrant such severe language. But when did we start using the language of harm to describe, well, everything?

[...] But part of the context, too, is that the age of trauma is unfolding in the age of social media — where everyone is striving, on some level, to rise above the noise, to be taken seriously, to (using another phrase of the moment) “feel heard.”

[...] We also know that victims of wrongdoing tend to be perceived as more “moral” or “virtuous” than others, and that using medical language tends to give a speaker authority, each of which are likely to result in more positive feedback.

It is not a huge leap, then, to imagine that deploying the language of trauma, or of harm, or even of personal struggle, carries cultural capital.

[...] And in the era of #MeToo, where hardly anyone has to be convinced anymore that the personal is indeed political, trauma-tinged language may offer a quick way to connect the dots between private grievance and righteous crusade, said Ms. Wynn, the YouTube artist. “Like, ‘Caleb hurt my feelings’ — nobody cares. But ‘Caleb is an abuser …’ Now there’s a reason to care.”

Suddenly, Demi Lovato is not just annoyed by having to pass by sugar-free cookies in a frozen yogurt shop; the singer is a victim of diet culture’s “harmful messaging.” The artist who claimed, falsely, that Taylor Swift doesn’t write her own songs isn’t just misinformed or a jerk; his words are “damaging” — the implication being, damaging not only to Ms. Swift but also to the culture.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/opinion/caleb-love-bombing-gaslighting-trauma.html

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When women have issues with other women, it can be that stereotypical "oh catty, drama, typical of women" nonsense. And reporting sexual harassment is a whole other ball game. Everyone's scared of dealing with it, and I think everyone treads more softly with a woman who reports it. I've worked in an office full of men, and when we'd discuss celebrity scandals that involved rape/assault, I made a point to be outspoken. I wanted the men to know not to mess with me. I'm not someone who's going to freak out by flirting or inappropriate comments. But I have limits with what I'll put up with. 

Depends on the company. The chain store I worked at had an unwritten policy where they would just keep moving the harasser from one store to another. 

3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

It would be illegal to fire someone for reporting abuse, but that doesn’t mean the employer won’t find another reason to use in the future.

That's exactly how they'll do it.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2

Mario Batali acquitted.  I am surprised.  Just because he was acquitted, I don't think this gets him back in good graces with 99% of the people who used to frequent his restaurants, watch his shows, etc.  

28 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Mario Batali acquitted.  I am surprised.  Just because he was acquitted, I don't think this gets him back in good graces with 99% of the people who used to frequent his restaurants, watch his shows, etc.  

Figures. 😣😣😣😣😣

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Wow, I'm really surprised, I thought there was a lot of evidence against him, I wonder what the jury heard or saw that swung it his way?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

Wow, I'm really surprised, I thought there was a lot of evidence against him, I wonder what the jury heard or saw that swung it his way?

Sadly I think part of him being found not guilty could have been due to texts from the person he assaulted that were submitted as evidence. He also decided he wanted a bench trial instead of having a jury decide so the decision was up to the judge.

• Useful 5

Over the course of the last 24 hours, Britney Spears published three carousels (as Instagram calls them) or photo dumps (as regular people call them) of herself nude, holding her boobs with a heart over her vagina. Nude photos are not new to Spears’s Instagram feed, appearing with some frequency since her conservatorship was lifted last November. As of this morning, the trio of carousels has, by my count, though I’m no mathematician, twelve nude photos, the densest volume (so far?) on her page.

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/its-nude-ney-bitch

I think it's interesting because of the range of reactions the article recounts.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've seen the pearl clutching.  I just can't bring myself to care at all.  She can do whatever she wants.  Nobody is forced to look at it.  Anything is preferable to her being controlled by someone else.  She's 40 for christ's sake.  

I myself have considered unfollowing, because I don't need to see all that, and it's obviously not safe for work, but it's her page.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/its-nude-ney-bitch

I think it's interesting because of the range of reactions the article recounts.

Her body, her choice. That's what the whole thing was about. As long as it's within site rules, she can do what she wants. If people don't want to see it, they're welcome to unfollow her.

However, I wonder. If she wants to post uncensored versions, she could set up an onlyfans and make a little money. :)

• LOL 4
  • Love 14
(edited)
19 hours ago, Jaded said:

Sadly I think part of him being found not guilty could have been due to texts from the person he assaulted that were submitted as evidence. He also decided he wanted a bench trial instead of having a jury decide so the decision was up to the judge.

Judges tend to be sticklers about the evidence.  A smart defendant who isn't guilty* should ask for a bench trial most of the time.  Also, credibility of accusers/witnesses is always a part of the trial, and in this case, there were a lot of questions raised about her credibility.

* That isn't a commentary on Batali's guilt or innocence in this one case, just a general observation from someone who works in the courts.  If a prosecutor has a weak case, it's harder to get a guilty verdict out of a judge than it is with a jury.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 12
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've seen the pearl clutching.  I just can't bring myself to care at all.  She can do whatever she wants.  Nobody is forced to look at it.  Anything is preferable to her being controlled by someone else.  She's 40 for christ's sake.  

I myself have considered unfollowing, because I don't need to see all that, and it's obviously not safe for work, but it's her page.

And her boys are 16 & 17.  Something tells me that seeing mom naked is nothing new for them. Some people just roll that way.  No judgement here. 

To me, nude pics of mom on social media are better than them being forced to follow hyper-strict religious rules, be subject to corporal punishment or having to follow a vegan diet!  *LOL*

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

A smart defendant who isn't guilty*

Or is guilty but knows the evidence is weak but are afraid juries might be susceptible to emotion or "who else could it be?" logic.

• Love 13
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Judges tend to be sticklers about the evidence.  A smart defendant who isn't guilty* should ask for a bench trial most of the time.  Also, credibility of accusers/witnesses is always a part of the trial, and in this case, there were a lot of questions raised about her credibility.

* That isn't a commentary on Batali's guilt or innocence in this one case, just a general observation from someone who works in the courts.  If a prosecutor has a weak case, it's harder to get a guilty verdict out of a judge than it is with a jury.

It's also easier to predict a judge than jury because the attorneys often have years of knowing the judge's opinions, biases, and quirks, versus a few minutes trying to figure out those of twelve unknown people. If you know this judge doesn't like prosecutions of the kind you're facing, go bench. I've heard lawyers say it's malpractice to have a jury before some judges, because everyone knows "if you go bench, you go home" (as in, not guilty). I've even had judges tell me the verdict and sentence before the trial even started.  the myth of judicial impartiality is just that. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I've even had judges tell me the verdict and sentence before the trial even started.  the myth of judicial impartiality is just that. 

I think most of them try to stay impartial, at least consciously, but it's hard not to let unconscious biases slip in.  And well, there are those judges who don't care.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I think most of them try to stay impartial, at least consciously, but it's hard not to let unconscious biases slip in.  And well, there are those judges who don't care.

I would say the good ones try to be fair and impartial. But in states that elect judges, the fa t is that voters know nothing about them, and elect random people with no concept of how they behave in the courtroom. And the media often doesn't even name judges when dis using court cases, so there's no way for people outside the court system to learn or make good choices. Judges are a very mixed bag, and more so when elected.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 11:46 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Yes? Kind of?

Strictly keeping this about celebrities, the incident with Will Smith at the Oscars and all the recent talk about Amber Heard has been quite enlightening, and not always in a good way. Is it empowerment to be able to strike someone in public, even if its "just a slap"?. Because it's never just a slap, is it? The only reason we didn't outright call it assault is because it was a man hitting another man, and yet Smith was not arrested and didn't spend the night in jail. So he's banned from the ceremony for a decade. That's hardly a punishment, since unless you actually win an award the evening isn't about you.

As for Amber Heard, even the mentions of her being likely just as toxic as Johnny Depp have fallen by the wayside in favor of, "well, but he has a history of bad behavior, and he's fat and bloated and not hot anymore, plus he's a drunk", even though alcoholism is a disease and may have (probably did) contribute to his current state and behavior. If she's not the perfect victim, neither is he, it's just that her instigating fights is somehow more acceptable. Maybe if she had slapped Chris Rock, we could look at her askance without it being problematic.

From what I've seen, Amber Heard has been obliterated all over the internet. She's the very definition of evil, to some, and Johnny Depp is still the dreamboat who needs to not be held accountable for anything. Whatever he does, is acceptable. 

I haven't been paying attention to the trial, this is what I've seen on social media, as I keep snoozing and muting. I have one friend who has defended Amber Heard, and there is only one site where I've seen people taking her side, and not swooning over Johhny. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, Anela said:

From what I've seen, Amber Heard has been obliterated all over the internet. She's the very definition of evil, to some, and Johnny Depp is still the dreamboat who needs to not be held accountable for anything. Whatever he does, is acceptable. 

I haven't been paying attention to the trial, this is what I've seen on social media, as I keep snoozing and muting. I have one friend who has defended Amber Heard, and there is only one site where I've seen people taking her side, and not swooning over Johhny. 

Part of the problem with Amber is she keeps getting caught about stupid stuff like getting dates wrong, or when her attorney held up the makeup she supposedly used to cover up her bruises, & the company tweeted out that the product wasn't even made yet. I believe her, but with all the screw ups coming from her side, I think the jury is going to side with Depp, Amber is coming off too much as a liar. She needed good attorneys & for some reason is using the Keystone Cop version of a lawyer.

Edited by GaT
I only speak English, why izz it sooo hardz?
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, GaT said:

Part of the problem with Amber is she keeps getting caught about stupid stuff like getting dates wrong, or when her attorney got up holding the makeup she supposedly used to cover up her bruises, & the company tweeted out that the product wasn't even made yet. I believe her, but with all the screw ups coming from her side, I think the jury is going to side with Depp, Amber is coming off too much as a liar. She needed good attorneys & for some reason is using the Keystone Cop version of a lawyer.

I defended her six years ago, and I've been muting everything that I can, because I don't really like either of them. I have been beaten up and harassed in my own home, and I've been treated like the problem, because I didn't take it quietly. I did at first, but it messes you up, and it doesn't stop them, because they have dehumanized you to the point where nothing you do is right.

So, I'm just not taking sides here. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Anela said:

So, I'm just not taking sides here. 

I am because I think it makes it so much harder for women who have been abused. 

She has just gotten too many facts/times wrong. She is not believable on the stand. She is overacting so much that it's laughable that she ever got a job acting. There are times when she said that she was hit and the cops that showed up didn't see any evidence of it. Then suddenly there were pictures of this that didn't make sense. 

Ever since that video of the kitchen I had the opinion that she was trying to set up up so she could cash in. 

In the end I think he's going to win but I don't know what he's going to get out of it except being offered movie roles again.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, xfuse said:

She has just gotten too many facts/times wrong. She is not believable on the stand. She is overacting so much that it's laughable that she ever got a job acting. There are times when she said that she was hit and the cops that showed up didn't see any evidence of it. Then suddenly there were pictures of this that didn't make sense. 

I have gloriously not been paying this any attention and have no opinion on who to believe.  However, I happened to catch a snippet of Johnny Depp on the stand talking about losing the tip of his finger.  Let's just say she's not the only one overacting.  

• Love 18
(edited)
2 hours ago, xfuse said:

In the end I think he's going to win but I don't know what he's going to get out of it except being offered movie roles again.

Have any movie studios or producers actually come out and said they'd hire him if he manages to win this case?  I don't follow the story anywhere but here but what I have read about Depp's past behavior makes it seem pretty clear that the only person responsible for him losing opportunities is Depp himself.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 18
50 minutes ago, SusanM said:

I don't follow the story anywhere but here but what I have read about Depp's past behavior makes it seem pretty clear that the only person responsible for him losing opportunities is Depp himself.

Yep. And these 2 lawsuits are making him look really bad. Even if he manages to win this one, he has not come off well at all. But at the same time, he has a very loyal base and he seems to have a lot of actors still in his corner as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some higher ups in his corner, too. He could easily make a comeback in a couple years, especially if he actually does get his act together. Now, I doubt he will but still. Famous men who are assholes usually get a pass so.

Amber though, I think she's screwed. She never had the clout Johnny has anyway.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

the only person responsible for him losing opportunities is Depp himself.

He got fired from Pirates four days after AH published that story and  he got fired from Fantastic Beast. There was a huge protest that an abuser shouldn't be in that movie.

I am not a fan of his and have never been a fan but the backlash he has gotten for her claims of abuse is huge. 

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yep. And these 2 lawsuits are making him look really bad. Even if he manages to win this one, he has not come off well at all. But at the same time, he has a very loyal base and he seems to have a lot of actors still in his corner as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some higher ups in his corner, too. He could easily make a comeback in a couple years, especially if he actually does get his act together. Now, I doubt he will but still. Famous men who are assholes usually get a pass so.

Amber though, I think she's screwed. She never had the clout Johnny has anyway.

Hollywood loves to promote a comeback story.  If he wins this lawsuit I can see a studio giving him a movie. Now whether that movie is a success we would have to wait and see.  He does have a loyal fanbase but would it be enough combined with people curious to see him in a new movie be enough?

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, xfuse said:

He got fired from Pirates four days after AH published that story and  he got fired from Fantastic Beast. There was a huge protest that an abuser shouldn't be in that movie.

I am not a fan of his and have never been a fan but the backlash he has gotten for her claims of abuse is huge. 

Part of the problem, though, is that outside of those two franchises, his films don't make money for the studios.  I can see him still not getting a lot of offers even if he wins this case.

Edited to note that I find both Depp and Heard to be unpleasant people, and that I have no real opinion on the particulars of the lawsuit.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Part of the problem, though, is that outside of those two franchises, his films don't make money for the studios.  I can see him still not getting a lot of offers even if he wins this case.

Honestly, even without all the abuse allegations and court drama I think his star was fading. Each Pirate's movie was worse than the last, the less said about his portal as Tonto the better.  he had Fantastic Beasts but IDK that that is really blowing up the box office. 

I really don't know much about Amber's career. I know she was in that Aquaman movie, but did that do all that well? The only other way I know her is as part of the shitstorm of a relationship with him. 

It will be interesting to see the fallout when this is all over and if either of them can rebuild their careers. I kind of hope not, because to me they are both pretty shitty people that I have no desire to see or hear from again. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I really don't know much about Amber's career. I know she was in that Aquaman movie, but did that do all that well?

It made over a billion at the box office and is DC’s highest grossing movie. I don’t think that Amber played that big a role in it’s success but I could be wrong. International audiences really like the movie for some reason. 

14 hours ago, Dani said:

It made over a billion at the box office and is DC’s highest grossing movie. I don’t think that Amber played that big a role in it’s success but they could be wrong. International audiences really like the movie for some reason. 

I had no clue! My geeky friends who saw it were not impressed. Though I guess that doesn't matter, since they'd already paid to see it. lol

• Love 2

Poor Britney! I was so concerned for her when she announced so early given her advanced maternal age. Dealing with a miscarriage is horrible for anyone, but given all she's been through, I hope it doesn't cause any setbacks to her mental health.

• Love 12

Nick Cannon’s reign as America’s most fertile man may be coming to a close. The comedian, who has fathered seven children in the past decade and has another on the way, announced on Tuesday that he is considering getting a vasectomy.

“I’ve been through so much,” Cannon told E! News. “I find peace in my children and I find purpose, so I’m not out here looking.” However, he said, “I already went and got my vasectomy consultation. I ain’t looking to populate the Earth completely, but I’m definitely looking forward to taking care and loving all the children that I currently have.”

https://www.thecut.com/2022/05/nick-cannon-is-considering-a-vasectomy.html

Armie Hammer and his family’s ghoulish history is the subject of a new Discovery+ special, tentatively titled House of Hammer. The Edgar Allan Poe fever dream of a TV episode promises to follow five generations of the Hammer family through their sordid past, using “a trove of archive and interviews from survivors and family members,” per a press release. The series promises to dive into a “dysfunctional dynasty with its male characters exhibiting all the devastating consequences of privilege gone wild.”

https://www.vulture.com/2022/05/armie-hammer-true-crime-special-discovery.html

• Love 2

The fact that they refer to the men of the family as "male characters" like it's some creepy soap opera give me doubt that they are taking it seriously.  I get it, the family is weird and has a suspect history at best, but they are real people, the people that they affected/hurt are real people.  It makes me think of "reality" shows, where even the people making it admit that they edit a real person down to a character for ratings.  I don't want that in my real crime or family expose television.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ouinason said:

The fact that they refer to the men of the family as "male characters" like it's some creepy soap opera give me doubt that they are taking it seriously.  I get it, the family is weird and has a suspect history at best, but they are real people, the people that they affected/hurt are real people.  It makes me think of "reality" shows, where even the people making it admit that they edit a real person down to a character for ratings.  I don't want that in my real crime or family expose television.  

True, but I doubt they care. 😢

• Love 2