Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

And you could write a whole dissertation about the history of denying black women in America femininity, dignity, and personhood.

If you want to read something less daunting than a dissertation on this topic, I recommend picking up Dr. Tressie Mcmillan Cottom's Thick and Other Essays.  One of the essays is on the topic of beauty in America and how it relates to black women. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

Demi Moore shaved her head for the role. Jada Pinkett is involuntarily going bald, and is self-conscious about it. Chris Rock was making fun of her in a hurtful way.

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It wasn’t even like Jada is the only woman—let alone WOC—to have a shaved or bald head. Why did it even need to be a joke? 

I am going with Aba & Preach take on the situation. Jada and Will are free to not like the joke. I don't think it was really funny. But compared to others jokes (especially  Regina Hall's earlier joke that night about Will and Jada's marriage) it was fairly tame. You can go into a whole essay about Jada being insulted because GI Jane is about a woman becoming more masculine in order to be a Navy Seal, but Demi Moore still looked good and powerful in the movie. One beautiful woman being compared to another beautiful woman. Not the worst comparison. Also she is losing her hair, not dying(Aba & Preach's point). Will should have left it at the slap. His outburst after made him look even more childish. 

I think part of it is a culmination of the stress Will is feeling from Jada outing that they have an open marriage publicly and then bringing him on her show to discuss it. It was one more insult and Chris was a relatively safe target, unfortunately, as a man of the same race. It wouldn't go over so well if he hit Regina. 

I'm going to give it to Chris Rock. That joke wasn't really funny, but he took the entire incident in stride and as a professional, and good on him for not pressing charges. He probably realizes the fallout is punishment enough. Special props to Denzel Washington, who stepped in as a big brother of sorts to Will and calmed him down to make his Best Actor's speech. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 12
25 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

think part of it is a culmination of the stress Will is feeling from Jada outing that they have an open marriage publicly and then bringing him on her show to discuss it. It was one more insult and Chris was a relatively safe target, unfortunately, as a man of the same race. It wouldn't go over so well if he hit Regina

It's kind of funny I just read Will's autobiography last week and after reading it my opinion of him wasn't that great. A lot of it was him (or maybe his co-writer?) analyzing his behavior like a psychologist. On top of that he would often relate that to human behaviour in general and I found it very annoying since it made him seem like such a know it all. Plus there was a hilarious (at least now) story about how he planned a big birthday weekend getaway for Jada with a bunch of people. After the first night she told him she hated it. So after reading what went down at the Oscars, it definitely seems like he might be someone who thinks he knows what is best for other people (even if he is wrong).

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's kind of funny I just read Will's autobiography last week and after reading it my opinion of him wasn't that great. A lot of it was him (or maybe his co-writer?) analyzing his behavior like a psychologist. On top of that he would often relate that to human behaviour in general and I found it very annoying since it made him seem like such a know it all. Plus there was a hilarious (at least now) story about how he planned a big birthday weekend getaway for Jada with a bunch of people. After the first night she told him she hated it. So after reading what went down at the Oscars, it definitely seems like he might be someone who thinks he knows what is best for other people (even if he is wrong).

There have been rumors about the Smiths being secret Scientologists.  Of course, they have denied it.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

There have been rumors about the Smiths being secret Scientologists.  Of course, they have denied it.

I saw some tweets about that. They said that in that cult/religion/belief system that it’s ok to give someone a slap for infractions. I’m just telling you what I read. Not what I believe or have a personal stake in. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus there was a hilarious (at least now) story about how he planned a big birthday weekend getaway for Jada with a bunch of people. After the first night she told him she hated it. So after reading what went down at the Oscars, it definitely seems like he might be someone who thinks he knows what is best for other people (even if he is wrong).

Was this the birthday party where he screened a film of him tracing her family history and included tracking down a descendent of the white family that owned her ancestors? If so, I would have hated that, too. Unless you know without a shadow of a doubt and 100% that someone is all about tracing their ancestry, don't do it. Or at least give them the video and let them decide when to watch it.

Nick Lachey goes after a female photographer.

15 minutes ago, Popples said:

Was this the birthday party where he screened a film of him tracing her family history and included tracking down a descendent of the white family that owned her ancestors? If so, I would have hated that, too. Unless you know without a shadow of a doubt and 100% that someone is all about tracing their ancestry, don't do it. Or at least give them the video and let them decide when to watch it.

Yes. It also included audio recordings of her dead grandma and he screened in a big room of family and friends. It was supposed to be a weekend birthday celebration and after that she told him to cancel all the other activities. So him slapping Chris Rock obviously isn't the first time where he seemed to have the wrong idea about how she wanted him to handle something.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Useful 10
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm not a fan, I don't pretend to vouch for how sincere he may have been and I know that this doesn't unring the badly rung bell. However, FWIW, Will Smith HAS issued an apology for having slapped Kevin Hart. Hence, in the interest of fairness, this needs to be reported so people won't continue to operate under the assumption that Mr. Smith never attempted an apology towards the person he assaulted in front of the Oscar  and worldwide television audiences:

https://news.yahoo.com/oscars-2022-live-embarrassed-smith-031421559.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

No way Will wrote that apology. And the time to apologize would have been when he won the Oscar. Based on articles and accounts written, he was all "Gettin' Jiggy with it" at the after party. So I doubt he regretted any of his actions.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 16

10:53 AM PT -- Nick tweeted about the incident, saying, "Last night, after enjoying a great dinner with my wife and our dear friend, the paparazzi harassed us as we walked back to our hotel. I clearly overreacted. I've been in this game long enough to know that their antics are sadly part of the deal. Stupid of me. Done."

They're public figures so they should probably expect photos if they're walking around, especially after eating at what I assume is a popular restaurant if it's in Beverly Hills. I guess they're "famous" again because of Love is Blind. I do think it's hard to tell when paparazzi cross the line because, except for TMZ, which is shameless, they rarely record the parts where they're yelling rude questions or practically hitting people with their cameras. 

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Based on articles and accounts written, he was all "Gettin' Jiggy with it" at the after party. So I doubt he regretted any of his actions.

Getting that standing ovation must have given him a very false sense of how his actions were being taken.  By the next morning reality sunk in.  If not for him then for the people around him who have some influence.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I do think it's hard to tell when paparazzi cross the line because, except for TMZ, which is shameless, they rarely record the parts where they're yelling rude questions or practically hitting people with their cameras

You don't even have to be famous.  I was reading an article about a woman who lost her daughter to suicide and it was awful to have her recount the kinds of questions journalists were throwing at her as she was living through a personal nightmare.  Rude, insensitive and calculated, of course, to get a reaction.  If professional journalists can treat a grieving mother like that I can only imagine what paparazzi would say to the rich and famous to get the pictures they want.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This is going to sound so dramatic but we already know that ABC threatened to cancel the Oscars if they didn't cut all those categories and now this?  Imagine if Will kills the Oscars?  LOL!

It's funny, when I first saw the clips, I thought it was staged to generate controversy and draw viewers (since no one watches the Oscars anymore).

As for the slap itself, I can't really care.  Yes violence is wrong, but I think we focus too much on physical violence (which again is bad) but we tend to ignore other types.  Everyone can say yeah it's just a joke, until we're on the receiving end of it.  How would be reacting if Will didn't slap him, but just shouted the F-bombs after the joke?  The joke clearly hurt Jada, then Will, after initially laughing, I think overcompensated and slapped Chris Rock.  Again, dumb move.  But what annoys me more is how much mental resources I've already put toward this.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, SusanM said:

Getting that standing ovation must have given him a very false sense of how his actions were being taken.  By the next morning reality sunk in.  If not for him then for the people around him who have some influence.

I don’t buy it. More probable and likely, his PR team got off their asses and drafted it. And told him to release it.

Just my opinion on it.

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Lugal said:

It's funny, when I first saw the clips, I thought it was staged to generate controversy and draw viewers (since no one watches the Oscars anymore).

As for the slap itself, I can't really care.  Yes violence is wrong, but I think we focus too much on physical violence (which again is bad) but we tend to ignore other types.  Everyone can say yeah it's just a joke, until we're on the receiving end of it.  How would be reacting if Will didn't slap him, but just shouted the F-bombs after the joke?  The joke clearly hurt Jada, then Will, after initially laughing, I think overcompensated and slapped Chris Rock.  Again, dumb move.  But what annoys me more is how much mental resources I've already put toward this.

Bingo. I definitely think the slap was wrong, but the whole "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words don't hurt" is just not true. Anyone here bullied as a child by other girls? They're not normally physically violent, but the mocking, jealousy, gossip, vindictiveness, all of that could really hurt. Jada is obviously not a child but a beautiful woman with a beautiful life, but she is still human. Before anyone says it was just a joke, yes I get it. I don't think Chris is a malicious bully, just trying to make a point. 

Even though I believe in cutting comedians slack (if every little thing is offensive, just say goodbye to comedy), I wish they'd lay off jokes about looks. 

Despite the fact I'm a little more on the forgiving side with Will, I definitely think something needs to be done to protect the hosts. They have a hard job, and especially if you're going to ad-lib, even a brilliant guy like Chris Rock is going to mess up. I did feel terrible for him and am still impressed by how he remained so professional. Maybe all the backlash for Will is somewhat of a deterrent to keep anyone the audience from attacking the host? IDK, but I totally understand something should be done as a safety concern.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's kind of funny I just read Will's autobiography last week and after reading it my opinion of him wasn't that great.

I read his book last month and the story that got me was when him and first wife were separated and decided to divorce they were  getting ready to sign the divorce papers and Sheree said she wanted them to try to make their marriage work and decided he didn't want to and just picked up the pen and signed the papers.  He wrote about not being proud of that and whatever but for some reason I thought I will never think about him the same way again. Little did I know he would make me think even less of him not too long after that. 

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, bluegirl147 said:

I read his book last month and the story that got me was when him and first wife were separated and decided to divorce they were  getting ready to sign the divorce papers and Sheree said she wanted them to try to make their marriage work and decided he didn't want to and just picked up the pen and signed the papers.  He wrote about not being proud of that and whatever but for some reason I thought I will never think about him the same way again. Little did I know he would make me think even less of him not too long after that. 

I don't actually see anything wrong with signing. If he was done, he was done. Why drag it out and give Sheree false hope?

• Love 14
Just now, anna0852 said:

I don't actually see anything wrong with signing. If he was done, he was done. Why drag it out and give Sheree false hope?

I understand that and there is really not rationale for why it bothered me so much but it did.  And to Jada's credit it was her that made the effort to include Sheree in their family.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Even with his award-season attention, this is the most attention Will Smith has gotten in decades. 

Frankly, there is no good guy in this, and I am mad at Chris Rock for giving me a reason to offer Will Smith some grace. I really just don't like Will Smith one bit. I definitely think that violence is WRONG, and he should not have slapped Rock. But Rock will maybe think twice about some of his jokes in the future.

There is a part of me that believes Smith is loving the attention.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
18 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

This is not the first time Will Smith has slapped someone in the media’s view. When he was doing press in Moscow for Men in Black a jokester/comedian came up to him and tried to kiss him on both cheeks European style. He was slapped by Will and the paparazzi was there to get the evidence.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10664589/Will-Smith-slaps-reporter-kissed-red-carpet-resurfaced-video.html

IMO, that wasn't anywhere near the same thing as this.  The reporter kissed Will (yes on the cheeks) and Will didn't want that. He shoved him away and gave him a very light slap. Still probably wasn't necessary as it was over and done with, but it wasn't anything like a full-on slap.

3 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Will should have left it at the slap. His outburst after made him look even more childish. 

I feel the opposite.  He should have left it at the verbal outburst and not slapped him.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

This is not the first time Will Smith has slapped someone in the media’s view. When he was doing press in Moscow for Men in Black a jokester/comedian came up to him and tried to kiss him on both cheeks European style. He was slapped by Will and the paparazzi was there to get the evidence.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10664589/Will-Smith-slaps-reporter-kissed-red-carpet-resurfaced-video.html

For them to pull that out an in any way equate that to what happened at the Oscars is a reach and is rather quite harmful, imo. 

It is not ok for a stranger to invade your space and kiss you without your consent.  I absolutely condone a shove or slap in that case.  It is a form of assault and just because it was a cheek kiss still doesn't make it any better.

Lily Allen  tried that shit with Zoe Kravitz and Zoe wasn't having it.  She called it assault.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Popples said:

Nick Lachey goes after a female photographer.

One would think he would welcome the attention.  I mean, Nick Lachey.  Dick move Nick.

• LOL 2
18 hours ago, Prairie Rose said:

Oh, this will definitely go down in the annals of Notorious Oscar Moments. I am still genuinely surprised that Will Smith is the one who did something like this. I am still genuinely surprised that Russell Crowe never did this!

You know it's bad when even Russell Crowe wouldn't do it. ;-)

• LOL 10
Just now, Prairie Rose said:

Not a cell phone - one of those old school rotary phones. CLUNK!! 😵😱

I was actually just thinking that Crowe might have been hampered by a lack of access to his weapon of choice in this day and age.  . . . 

• LOL 12
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don’t buy it. More probable and likely, his PR team got off their asses and drafted it. And told him to release it.

Just my opinion on it.

Probably.

But then I'm of the opinion still the whole thing was planned. Others disagree obviously but I still don't believe it. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But then I'm of the opinion still the whole thing was planned. Others disagree obviously but I still don't believe it. 

I say if it was planned, no one bothered to tell Chris Rock. No one's that good an actor to react the way he did.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
6 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

I say if it was planned, no one bothered to tell Chris Rock. No one's that good an actor to react the way he did.

I agree. It had to be real. Will is too big a star to need to pull a stunt like this, and certainly not on a big night for him. And poor Chris looked stunned. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'd go along with this if I thought anyone had benefited from it but I don't think that's happened.  Unless they seriously miscalculated and expected a different reaction from the academy and the world at large of course.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Although I know the Will Smith/Chris Rock story has been dominating the celeb news cycle, spare a thought for Hilarious Baldwin - she is pregnant with her SEVENTH SPAWN! Huzzah!

I don't know why I'm surprised, so is she pregnant, or is this another surrogate baby?   

If she can get pregnant again, then why the surrogate baby? 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, GaT said:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN???? You have 2 babies under 2 years old, & now you're knocked up again?  I think they're keep having all these kids for the attention.

Maybe this was the Baldwins' way of consoling each other over the aftermath of that on-set shooting. I've heard of worse (and more bizarre) reasons why some babies having been intentionally conceived down the ages. 

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WOMAN???? You have 2 babies under 2 years old, & now you're knocked up again?  I think they're keep having all these kids for the attention.

¿Cómo se dice, "It's a vagina, not a clown car" en Español?

Wasn't there serious speculation that it wasn't so much a surrogate baby as an adultery baby? One which Hilaria apparently agreed to claim was hers?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 12

Protestors picketing Jay-Z’s Gold Party on Sunday evening, March 27, warmed up by having a party of their own. They erected a step-and-repeat at the end of the Chateau Marmont’s driveway, projected a logo reading “Boycott” in massive blade lettering across the hotel’s exterior, strung lights along Marmont Lane, donned glow sticks, led raucous chants and played disco hits from a DJ rig.

They’d shown up after the billionaire musician had declined to move his event from the grounds of the legendary Sunset Strip property, which has been embroiled in controversy since 2020, when Chateau Marmont owner André Balazs laid off nearly all of his employees at the onset of the pandemic without providing severance packages or extended health insurance. Months later, more than 30 staffers told The Hollywood Reporter about long-simmering workplace issues, including allegations of systemic racial discrimination and sexual misconduct. The UNITE HERE Local 11 hospitality union has led a boycott of the hotel since 2021 and made public appeals for Jay-Z to respect the boycott after the Gold Party’s location was revealed.

The group of 75-plus protestors, organized by the UNITE HERE chapter, featured a mix of former Chateau Marmont employees, hotel union members, student activists and left-leaning entertainment industry workers. 

[...] Private security personnel and nearly two-dozen LAPD officers cordoned protestors behind barricades to a corner of sidewalk abutting Selma Avenue. [...] The protestors passed out leaflets and cajoled arriving guests. A union representative said Casey Affleck, after hearing about the protest from the organizers, gave a thumbs-up and turned away from the party. A rep for the protest also said that LaKeith Stanfield told the assembled group, “I respect what you’re doing.” (It’s unclear if he later went inside.)

At 1 a.m., the protestors called it quits, satisfied that, as one man with a megaphone jubilantly explained to the crowd, “We sent a powerful message to the wealthy people in Hollywood.” [...] The party went on despite the protest. Janelle Monáe and Saweetie soon arrived. They were joined by, among others, Emily Ratajkowski, Daniel Kaluuya, Kim Kardashian, Timothée Chalamet, Rosario Dawson, Michael B. Jordan, Mindy Kaling, Tiffany Haddish, Tyler Perry, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Zoe Kravitz. Questlove was inside spinning “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” as his best documentary Oscar — which he’d won earlier in the night for Summer of Soul — stood sentinel at his DJ rig, as seen on his Instagram account.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/jay-z-oscar-gold-party-picketed-chateau-marmont-1235121043/

I did not realize this was happening. It's unclear from the way the article is written if the guests named at the end arrived after 1am and missed the protestors.

• Useful 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't know why I'm surprised, so is she pregnant, or is this another surrogate baby?   

I don't know why I know this, but I believe they hired the surrogate because they one had one daughter together and all the rest were boys.  When Hilaria was pregnant the last time, her daughter was disappointed that it was another boy.  This prompted her and Alec to seek out a surrogate to bear a girl.  In IVF, it is possible to determine the baby's chromosomal profile before the embryos are placed in the womb.  So, they found a surrogate and she was implanted with an egg destined to be a female.  So her daughter could have the baby sister she wanted.  And that is why the last baby was born by surrogate just a few months after Hilaria gave birth to the previous child.  I guess it would've been too long for the poor tyke to wait for Hilaria to give birth and then use IVF so she could carry the girl.

Just more proof these people are BSC.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

She's not getting pregnant by herself; they're both making these crazy-ass decisions.

No, but they are certainly birth control methods that are completely her decision & she has apparently decided not to use them. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, GaT said:

No, but they are certainly birth control methods that are completely her decision & se has apparently decided not to use them. 

There are a couple of birth control methods that would be entirely Alec's decision, including a vasectomy, and he also hasn't used them.  He is just as responsible as she is.  Or irresponsible.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
9 minutes ago, GaT said:

No, but they are certainly birth control methods that are completely her decision & se has apparently decided not to use them. 

He obviously hasn't had a vasectomy, either; these pregnancies are on them, not her.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 18
On 3/28/2022 at 8:04 AM, aghst said:

So how about The Slap?

I never watched the show mentioned in this tweet because the promotion for it back then was laughingly bad. I was relieved to see someone else thought of it too with the Chris/Will incident being talked about as "The Slap".

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, DearEvette said:

Thanks to Judd Apatow's bad  take (and blatantly racist dog whistle) where he basically calls Will a raging, violent beast whose slap was so powerful it practically killed Chris,  people are very much talking about Franco.  More specifically why he stood by and let Franco throw Busy Phillips to the ground on the set of Freaks and Geeks and to this day has never condemned him if he is so concerned about violence.

TBH, the biggest laughs I am getting about this whole thing are people clowning Apatow's now deleted tweet. 

What, now?

I have never heard this story.  I knew James Franco was an asshole, but I never heard about him physically assaulting Busy Phillips, and I used to watch Freaks and Geeks religiously.

Going to google some stuff, now...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GaT said:

No, but they are certainly birth control methods that are completely her decision & she has apparently decided not to use them. 

I get where you're coming from. I think some of us wonder about her first, but it's not at all coming from an anti-woman place. I completely agree both are indeed responsible for all those kids. It's just that you expect a woman to be more careful when she's the one who will carry and deliver all those babies. (Only one was via surrogate, correct?) Even though I haven't been pregnant, it sounds like A LOT on a woman's body. Being pregnant is really uncomfortable for some women, and child birth itself sounds, um, intense? A friend of mine had such a traumatic time giving birth to her daughter, she's not sure she wants to try for any more. Alec isn't the one who has to go through all the don't drink, don't eat this or do that, morning sickness, weight gain and being uncomfortable and hoping to God it's an easy delivery. Then getting up at night to breastfeed and trying to get back into shape. Trust me, even though I'm not one of those who reveres all mothers as if they must all be good, wise, and mother of the year, I really admire and respect what a woman's body can do. I just don't think it looks easy. I joke that I'd rather be a dad than a mom!

• Love 9