Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I wasn't on this set, so I don't know what sort of abuse Denzel Washington hurled at Ellen Pompeo, but her describing him as going "ham" on her (whatever the fuck that means -- I've never heard this before but I assume it means he went crazy) sounds a bit Amy Cooper to me.

The funny thing is... she is the one telling the story.  She is the one who used 'HAM'.  So she could have literally told us that he was abusive and mean and all sorts of terrible things.  Instead she admitted she began to direct the scene -- stepping on his toes and he said to her 'I am the director here.'  Now... I dunno....  but 'hard as a motherfucker" in my world goes a bit beyond someone pointing out that you are stepping out of your lane.  LOL.

It makes me wonder if it is more telling on herself because in peeping IMDB I realized that she had been on Grey's since 2005 and hasn't done much of anything else since then except a small vo part.  So Grey's is pretty much her only professional acting credit in 16 years.  And since she is a big fish in that singular pond, she probably doesn't know what HAM really feels like coming from a director on a set.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Nothing like posting nude photos to celebrate the end of someone looking after your interests.

Britney Spears bares all as she poses for photos during getaway: 'Playing in the Pacific never hurt anybody'

I wouldn’t do it but it makes perfect sense to me after not having control of her own body for over a decade. 

It’s not like her father and team have any moral high ground with how they used her image while in control. If anything the picture she posted is less titillating than the bondage and lingerie during her Vegas years. 

8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'll show you who is a responsible adult!

The “responsible adults” have been using her body to sell for years. 

Edited by Guest
59 minutes ago, Dani said:

I wouldn’t do it but it makes perfect sense to me after not having control of her own body for over a decade. 

It’s not like her father and team have any moral high ground with how they used her image while in control. If anything the picture she posted is less titillating than the bondage and lingerie during her Vegas years. 

The “responsible adults” have been using her body to sell for years. 

So she celebrates her freedom by doing exactly what her dad has been doing for years anyway?   

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So she celebrates her freedom by doing exactly what her dad has been doing for years anyway?   

For one thing she isn’t selling her image. She is celebrating her freedom. That’s not the same thing. That’s like saying a rape victim having  consensual sex is doing the same thing they were forced to do. If she does choose to use sexy images to promote herself that is her right. It’s about controlling her own image.

It remind of the celebs who choose to release their own nudes when being threatened with blackmail. One is control and the other is being used. 

It is ridiculous to act like this is some sign she is making stupid decisions when there is very little difference between that photo and the photos released of her before. 

Edited by Guest
19 minutes ago, cleo said:

Holy smokes she's in her 40s right? Let her pose nude if she wants to. So every man/woman that does a nude photo shoot should have all their rights revoked and someone else control every thing they do?

It's inherently a bad/immoral thing that only a sick person would do? 

And oh the horrors think of the children! 

Please.

She's not hurting anyone. 

This! At the end of the day she’s an adult. No one should have that type of control over her life to the point where she can’t make decisions for herself (even bad ones), unless she is severely mentally unstable or completely incapacitated and thus incapable of making her own choices and functioning as an adult. As I’ve said before I can see why her father stepped in 13 years ago. She seemed to be in the mist of a public mental breakdown. Someone, family, did need to step in and help her. But then things appear to have gone way beyond that initial purpose which has resulted in the current situation. 

I wonder once she’s free of this conservatorship if she’ll perform again? I know she’s stated that she wouldn’t but I think that was to cut off the money train to her family. In her prime she really seemed to love performing so I can see her eventually returning to that if she feels mentally ready. Also, she may have to get back to work if her finances have truly been mismanaged under her father’s management as suspected. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

What teenager isn't embarrassed by their parents from time to time?

But most teens don't have to worry about their friends finding mommy's nude photos on line. It's irresponsible.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, bobalina said:

But most teens don't have to worry about their friends finding mommy's nude photos on line. It's irresponsible.

Few parents are responsible.  And ooooh ahhhh they might be embarrassed parents. That's a lot better for them than their mother being under conservatorship that's not warranted.  By law, children are not entitled to parents who aren't embarrassing.

The fact that so many people infantalized Britney, while at the same time being just fine with sports figures who have traumatic brain injury and are unable to make any coherent decisions, just really disturbs me. Is it because Britney needs looks young? Or is it just misogyny?

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 22

Britney looks amazing.  As far as I'm concerned, she can pose nude all she wants.  Having a body like that at 39 takes some serious work.

Embarrassing her teenage sons...eh, whatever.  Britney's whole career has been singing suggestive songs and wearing skimpy costumes onstage.  I really don't think one nude bath pic is going to change much for them.

Edited by Pickles Aplenty
  • Love 24
45 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Few parents are responsible.  And ooooh ahhhh they might be embarrassed parents. That's a lot better for them than their mother being under conservatorship that's not warranted.  By law, children are not entitled to parents who aren't embarrassing.

The fact that so many people infantalized Britney, while at the same time being just fine with sports figures who have traumatic brain injury and are unable to make any coherent decisions, just really disturbs me. Is it because Britney needs looks young? Or is it just misogyny?

We don't know if it's warranted. Brittany refuses to take the psych exam.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bobalina said:

Being embarrassing isn’t irresponsible. Part of growing up is realizing that your parents are actual people that don’t exist just to revolve around you.

52 minutes ago, bobalina said:

We don't know if it's warranted. Brittany refuses to take the psych exam.

You don’t know that. None of us know that. She said that she believed she shouldn’t have to be evaluated again because other conservatorships have ended without an evaluation.  The key word there is again. She’s been evaluated in the past. She is still under the conservatorship and it stands to reason that she is still receiving mental health care and is constantly being evaluated in one form or another. If the judge decides to end the conservatorship there is no reason to believe the the opinion of her actual doctors were not taken into account. 

Edited by Guest

I’m not sure why Britney posing nude is a demonstration of anything new, since her dad was not in charge of her day to day activities in his role, but of finances.  Was her personal conservator replaced as well?  

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Dani said:

Being embarrassing isn’t irresponsible. Part of growing up is realizing that your parents are actual people you don’t exist just to revolve around you.

You don’t know that. None of us know that. She said that she believed she shouldn’t have to be evaluated again because other conservatorships have ended without an evaluation.  The key word there is again. She’s been evaluated in the past. She is still under the conservatorship and it stands to reason that she is still receiving mental health care and is constantly being evaluated in one form or another. If the judge decides to end the conservatorship there is no reason to believe the the opinion of her actual doctors were not taken into account. 

She specifically asked to end the conservatorship without examination.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bobalina said:

Yes but asking for something does not guarantee it will happen or mean that she is refusing treatment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her asking for what she wants. Do you really believe she isn’t under the care of doctors when she still has a conservator? Or that a judge will agree to end the conservatorship if she is refusing to cooperate? 

To each one's own re however adults may celebrate one's newfound independence and freedom but, speaking strictly for myself, I think I'd have opted to go on a hot air balloon ride or a     Serengeti photo safari instead of putting myself out there in the altogether for the whole 'Net  to gawk at as Miss Spears has done. 

No, I'm not saying having done so is insane, wrong,etc. but I can't pretend  to believe that this was the wisest option that could have been  chosen. 

In any case, I AM glad she's about DONE with having to deal with Mr. Spears in those capacities- and, regardless of her option, they seem FAR less counterproductive and destructive to her interests than he had been for the entire Conservatorship- if not her entire life beforehand. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Discussion was from another thread. But Katie Couric released her autobiography and is revealing herself to be not a very nice person.

That's not really a surprise is it? I thought she had been revealed as "not very nice person" years ago -- someone who puts on a good face for the cameras but is nasty in real life. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, aghst said:

HAM = hard as a motherfucker.

I'd never hard that term before- and could have lived the next five decades perfectly content being ignorant of it. Oh well.  Miss Pompeo sure showed how much of a class act she is offcamera! 

P.S. Maybe it's just me but it seems as though she may be reveling her dissing of Mr. Washington evidently attempting to do his job of directing an episode of the series she has long performed in  with at  least a little element of being a white woman  taking pride in wanting to  believe she had shown  a famous African-American man 'his place'. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

To each one's own re however adults may celebrate one's newfound independence and freedom but, speaking strictly for myself, I think I'd have opted to go on a hot air balloon ride or a     Serengeti photo safari instead of putting myself out there in the altogether for the whole 'Net  to gawk at as Miss Spears has done. 

Her first celebration of her father getting the boot was actually flying a plane. The nude photos are pretty consistent with her social media for the last few months. The plane story is far more interesting in my opinion but it didn’t get much attention. Nothing sends people into a tizzy quite like a pair of naked breasts. 

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, bobalina said:

If that's the worst thing they ever see online, they're lucky people. There are some things I've learned not to look up or click on, but that's born from horrified experience.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

It is ridiculous to act like this is some sign she is making stupid decisions when there is very little difference between that photo and the photos released of her before. 

ngl, the smudgy black eyeliner makes her look slightly unhinged. But not knowing how to properly take a thirst trap photo isn't the worst thing. I have my feelings on that sort of thing generally, but for someone like Britney whose image has been so widely distributed, I don't know that these awkward photos are meaningfully worse than a tasteful nude magazine spread or a ridiculously skimpy bikini. 

I am biased on the ScarJo thing because 1) I think she is usually a pretty bad actress 2) She has made awful public statements 3) There's a limit to which I can care about millions of dollars being added to someone's personal fortune 4) I don't think the Black Widow movie was going to make as much movie as she thought

But on the other hand, she should be paid fairly and I'm not exactly crying for a megacorporation. So... as long as everyone's happy with the settlement... whatever. I'm more interested in what will come of the unions representing non-actors also pushing for a cut of streaming profits, etc. 

• Love 10
29 minutes ago, Anduin said:

If that's the worst thing they ever see online, they're lucky people. There are some things I've learned not to look up or click on, but that's born from horrified experience.

Lol, in my entire family a bikini photo is about as scandalous as it gets. 

I've always had mixed thoughts about Britney's image. People seem to feel super strongly about it whichever side they're on.

What we can all agree on is it sounds like Britney's life is finally going in the right track. Her fiancé is handsome, hopefully he's a good guy and she can finally be happy. 

• Love 4

P.S. Maybe it's just me but it seems as though she may be reveling her dissing of Mr. Washington evidently attempting to do his job of directing an episode of the series she has long performed in  with at  least a little element of being a white woman  taking pride in wanting to  believe she had shown  a famous African-American man 'his place'. 

That's pretty much my take. By describing him as going HAM, she tried to paint him as the stereotypical 'angry Black man" and call to mind his pivotal moment in Training Day (NSFW, YouTube) that is largely an angry Black man going HAM meme now. Guess she had no idea how desperate such an approach might make her look.

I think if Denzel Washington's acting and directing resume is stacked up against Ellen Pompeo's, she looks rather pathetic by comparison. As someone upthread nicely pegged it, she seems to have the big fish in small pond syndrome.

• Love 16
9 hours ago, bobalina said:

So what? Why should she be subjected to repeated examinations? Those examinations can be a horrible and traumatic experience in and of themselves. Why should she agree to do it again when she’s not engaged in activities which warrant that?

Why this constant moving of goalposts to keep Britney under someone else’s control?

And WHY does no one put NFL players with TBI and other brain functioning issues under conservatorships when they actually engage in dangerous behavior? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, Dani said:

Her first celebration of her father getting the boot was actually flying a plane. The nude photos are pretty consistent with her social media for the last few months. The plane story is far more interesting in my opinion but it didn’t get much attention. Nothing sends people into a tizzy quite like a pair of naked breasts. 

As I said in my original post on this subject, to each one's own re ways to celebrate (as long as folks don't do anything illegal or immoral in said celebrations)

To be fair, I don't keep up with Miss Spears's doings on her online outlets,etc. Hence, the ONLY source I had for the pics she had posted of her in the altogether was in this very Subforum and, until your own post, I had had no idea that she had flown a plane in addition to having taken those photos. 

I'm by NO means 'in a tizzy' over said photos but I'm not going to pretend that I believe  that having taken them was the wisest or most considerate   of options (to her minor offspring)  she could have opted for to celebrate. 

No, her having done so isn't 'wrong' or immoral by any means but IMO just not the best option she could have exercised. 

So, yes, that means that IMO a more sensible bell got rung in addition to the bell of the unclothed snapshots but that in itself doesn't mean that the bell of pics in the altogether never got rung on her part. 

Regardless, in ANY case, it IS good that her evidently greedy, exploitative, ill-tempered and untrustworthy DNA Donor's 'conservatorship' is finished. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Anduin said:

I don't disagree that they could see way worse online but IMO seeing nude photos of either of my parents would rank right up there with "things that come back to haunt me late at night when I can't sleep".

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, aghst said:

HAM = hard as a motherfucker.

Well then my point still stands. He was asserting his authority and instead of clarifying the misunderstanding, she swears and postures and then tells a story about how she went off on the aggressive black interloper. But hey it was an amazing experience!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Well then my point still stands. He was asserting his authority and instead of clarifying the misunderstanding, she swears and postures and then tells a story about how she went off on the aggressive black interloper. But hey it was an amazing experience!

Her husband is black; her children are biracial, and her bosses on Grey’s were black.  I’m not trying to assert the “I have black friends” defense on her behalf (especially because I’m not a fan and don’t watch the show), but I don’t know that it’s entirely fair to presume a racial element when there are enough other stories about her on-set behavior towards other people in general that it may be the case that she treats everyone with an air of superiority due to her star power on the show (but I’m leery of that type of take, as well, because I don’t like the misogyny implications of labeling women who assert their power as “difficult.”)  But like I said upthread, the story is messed up and I don’t think she handled herself well then or in recounting it now.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 11

I have no idea about Ellen Pompeo's internal thought processes, but this is how her story comes off, and if she's married to a black man, you'd think she'd be sensitive to that.

But I've also heard with my own ears people say racist things about people who are their partner's race, often of the "you know how X people are" variety, so that's a thing.

• Love 9

No clue what motivated Ellen Pompeo's outburst, but I agree with the "big fish small pond" theory a couple of people have already mentioned. I suspect she felt threatened and overshadowed by having an Oscar-winning star directing an episode on what she considers her show, so her outburst was her very dumb way of marking her territory. She apparently still even sees it this way, based on how she tries to spin the anecdote. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That's pretty much my take. By describing him as going HAM, she tried to paint him as the stereotypical 'angry Black man" and call to mind his pivotal moment in Training Day (NSFW, YouTube) that is largely an angry Black man going HAM meme now. Guess she had no idea how desperate such an approach might make her look.

3 hours ago, janie jones said:

2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Her husband is black; her children are biracial, and her bosses on Grey’s were black.  I’m not trying to assert the “I have black friends” defense on her behalf (especially because I’m not a fan and don’t watch the show), but I don’t know that it’s entirely fair to presume a racial element when there are enough other stories about her on-set behavior towards other people in general that it may be the case that she treats everyone with an air of superiority due to her star power on the show (but I’m leery of that type of take, as well, because I don’t like the misogyny implications of labeling women who assert their power as “difficult.”)  But like I said upthread, the story is messed up and I don’t think she handled herself well then or in recounting it now.

Ellen Pompeo is very vocal about racial inequality in her business, check out this interview for some project where it came up. I really don't think this was a case of white woman/black man, I think this was a case of "I'm the star here & you're the one time director". Even if Denzel is famous & acclaimed in his own right, he doesn't know the show or the set as well as she does, & chances are more people are watching the show for her than him.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

Even if Denzel is famous & acclaimed in his own right, he doesn't know the show or the set as well as she does, & chances are more people are watching the show for her than him.

Exactly. How many viewers would ever even know who the director of any given episode of a show even was?  I mean I do notice the name occasionally when watching a show, and of course if it's Famous Name, I will take note but I can't imagine watching a show just because of that.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

If Britney's behavior suggests that she needs a conservator, then so do Miley Cyrus and Justin Beiber.  

You could add Charlie Sheen and Kanye West to that list. I would never take nude photos but I don't look like Britney.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, janie jones said:

I have no idea about Ellen Pompeo's internal thought processes, but this is how her story comes off, and if she's married to a black man, you'd think she'd be sensitive to that.

But I've also heard with my own ears people say racist things about people who are their partner's race, often of the "you know how X people are" variety, so that's a thing.

Very true. Ellen Pompeo strikes me as the kind of person who thinks being married to a Black man and having biracial kids means that she understands what it is to be Black. Just before this story there was one that resurfaced about her interrupting Shonda Rhimes in a joint interview with Viola Davis and Kerry Washington about a specific racist comment about Viola. She made a asinine remark that the hurtful comment was worth it if it educated people and than left the interview crying when Viola disagreed.

There was also a recent story that the male lead in Grey’s Anatomy was intended to be Black and that Ellen blocked it because it “hit too close to home”.

Her Denzel Washington story coming right on the heels of the other stories is a big reason why people are seeing racial undercurrents. She has a pretty long history of overstepping and making really tone-deaf statements with a inflated sense of authority of the subject. 

Buzzfeed brought all the receipts:

Ellen Pompeo Is Facing Major Backlash For “Bragging” About Her Brutal Fight With Denzel Washington On The “Grey's Anatomy” Set After People Accused Her Of Being "Entitled" And Privileged

Yeah, I stand by my initial take on this. Ellen apparently thinks her marriage gave her a pass to go at Denzel Washington in a way she knew would make her look like she vanquished the Angry Black Man.

It appears that people on social media (whatever that's worth but Ellen seems to have noticed) have been instructing her on how to take several seats. Meanwhile, perhaps she can ask her husband to explain to her the concept of "Miss Ann."

• Useful 5
  • Love 14
6 hours ago, Dani said:

. She made a asinine remark that the hurtful comment was worth it if it educated people and than left the interview crying when Viola disagreed.

Oh my word. I don't even know how to process that. Sounds like she's been an asshole for a long time, and she's finally getting some much deserved comeuppance. Of course, the great irony is if she had just kept her mouth shut about the Denzel Washington incident, these other stories likely would have remained dormant. Or at least not gotten national media spotlight right now. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Buzzfeed brought all the receipts:

Ellen Pompeo Is Facing Major Backlash For “Bragging” About Her Brutal Fight With Denzel Washington On The “Grey's Anatomy” Set After People Accused Her Of Being "Entitled" And Privileged

Yeah, I stand by my initial take on this. Ellen apparently thinks her marriage gave her a pass to go at Denzel Washington in a way she knew would make her look like she vanquished the Angry Black Man.

It appears that people on social media (whatever that's worth but Ellen seems to have noticed) have been instructing her on how to take several seats. Meanwhile, perhaps she can ask her husband to explain to her the concept of "Miss Ann."

Also per Buzzfeed, the only reason he was directing the show was because he was brought on as a surprise to cheer her up because she was thinking about leaving the show. I'd not seen that detail before, but that makes her already terrible behavior even worse. He's doing a favor for her, and her response is that? 

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, Zella said:

Also per Buzzfeed, the only reason he was directing the show was because he was brought on as a surprise to cheer her up because she was thinking about leaving the show. I'd not seen that detail before, but that makes her already terrible behavior even worse. He's doing a favor for her, and her response is that? 

YEESH! 

If she treated someone who was doing his job AND doing her a personal favor like that, I have to wonder how her marriage is faring- and could Miss Pompeo have been projecting her off task issues onto Mr. Washington?

Well, if there weren't problems in the union beforehand, I can't imagine that her bragging about her treatment of Mr. Washington has improved things with her husband or even their biracial offspring.

Yeah, she definitely showed how much of a grateful and classy person she was by this whole thing!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Zella said:

She may have been a fan of him but if he was a surprise to her, he wasn't doing her a favor; he was doing Debbie Allen a favor. And it sounds like his wife a favor because she's a fan of the show.  He had never seen an episode.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

She may have been a fan of him but if he was a surprise to her, he wasn't doing her a favor; he was doing Debbie Allen a favor. And it sounds like his wife a favor because she's a fan of the show.  He had never seen an episode.

True but that doesn't make her any less of an asshole. It sounds to me like since they were trying to get her to stay, she somehow felt even more emboldened to act out to prove it was her show. I can't say I would have been deeply invested in keeping her around if I was a showrunner with that attitude. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Zella said:

True but that doesn't make her any less of an asshole. It sounds to me like since they were trying to get her to stay, she somehow felt even more emboldened to act out to prove it was her show. I can't say I would have been deeply invested in keeping her around if I was a showrunner with that attitude. 

There's a lot we don't know about the situation.  While she is getting criticism for how she shared the story, we don't know how Shonda or Denzel felt about it at the end of the day.  Perhaps they just brushed it off as a creative flareup and everyone gets along great. 

As for not wanting to keep her around--they wanted their show to go on.  Technically, Grey's Anatomy is a medical term and the show could go on, in theory, without Meredith Grey.  Realistically, everyone knows that Meredith is the titular character.  And when this happened, they had just lost Patrick Dempsey and Sandra Oh about a year earlier. Only Alex, Bailey and Richard were the original characters left other than Meredith.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

There's a lot we don't know about the situation.  While she is getting criticism for how she shared the story, we don't know how Shonda or Denzel felt about it at the end of the day.  Perhaps they just brushed it off as a creative flareup and everyone gets along great. 

As for not wanting to keep her around--they wanted their show to go on.  Technically, Grey's Anatomy is a medical term and the show could go on, in theory, without Meredith Grey.  Realistically, everyone knows that Meredith is the titular character.  And when this happened, they had just lost Patrick Dempsey and Sandra Oh about a year earlier. Only Alex, Bailey and Richard were the original characters left other than Meredith.

Grey's Anatomy is the book widely used in anatomy classes.

• Love 1