Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Blue Skies and UTI's

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

Rachel’s antics continue to torment the crew, and Elizabeth finds herself in the doghouse. Sharing his soft and vulnerable side, Captain Lee opens up to Francesca about a personal tragedy. As Izzy’s health continues to be a struggle, Eddie sends her off for medical care, but more crew members fall ill, and Francesca worries if they’ll make it through the next charter.

Airdate 01.18.2021

• Useful 1

About ten minutes in I had an epiphany....just when I think Rachel can't be a bigger dick, she raises the bar. She should be banned from drinking for the rest of the season, she just can't handle it....or maybe everyone around her shouldn't have to. 'nuff said.

• Love 14

I don't think I have heard Captain Lee mention anything about tablescapes - ever.  And it seems to be practically the only thing Captain Sandy concerns herself with.  Am I correct about that?  Rachel seems to be the best and most consistent chef on any of these Below Deck shows - but that mouth of hers when she drinks is absolutely vile!  Eddie seems to be a really good boss - I never saw the earlier seasons when he was on - his donkey impersonation was priceless!

• Love 24
45 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

About ten minutes in I had an epiphany....just when I think Rachel can't be a bigger dick, she raises the bar. She should be banned from drinking for the rest of the season, she just can't handle it....or maybe everyone around her shouldn't have to. 'nuff said.

Me too 10 minutes in, maybe I'm done with this show, Rachel is disgusting how she treats people.  But the rest of them are also getting on my nerves.

• Love 5

Rachel is just a pure shitty drunk.  She deserves zero credit or zero forgiveness.  She's not even being a jerk when cooking, which you could forgive.

No, Rachel, fuck you for not remembering.  What a shitty fucking human being.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, whydoievencare said:

I don't think I have heard Captain Lee mention anything about tablescapes - ever.  And it seems to be practically the only thing Captain Sandy concerns herself with.  

I like the minimalistic look.  I find Sandy's obsession with all that clutter ridiculous.  Does she realize that those fancy pics she sees on the internet probably take many, many hours to assemble for the shoot?

James and Liz are just disgusting.  Eww  Stand by your man.  Props to Tammy Wynettee.  Is Ashling just yanking Lizzie's chain?

Rachel should have stayed passed out.  She's crossing the line from sloppy drunk to mean drunk.

"She's an asshole"  Not a James fan, but he's right.  The two of them just despise each other.

Bravo must love the drama.

Since when does the chef wander off to gather the provisions?  I've only seen them delivered.

Nice to see Izzy properly diagnosed and getting the treatment she needs  Sadly, the delay in treatment has now infected everybody else.  Invisible Doctor should have put them all on antibiotics.

Cowboy dinner:  BBQ brisket, ribs, more meat, some taters, generic salad.  EZ

Sad revelation from Capt. Lee.

• Love 6

What I don't understand about all of this, is why didn't Eddie or Francesca or any of the other crew ask Rachel about her obnoxious drunken behavior?  

I know Eddie and Francesca discussed it with Captain Lee, but I think someone should have enlightened her to the fact that she owed everyone a big apology for embarrassing them and ruining their entire day off.  Not that I think Rachel would have apologized to anyone - she doesn't seem to have any remorse for what occurred.  

I know she can cook better than any chef we've seen, but her out-of-galley behavior disgusts me.  Her mouth is foul (even when she's sober), she's rude and she's a nasty drunk.  The only "positive" thing I can say about Rachel is that I am learning a whole new set of descriptives for genitalia!  

Edited by njbchlover
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

What I don't understand about all of this, is why didn't Eddie or Francesca or any of the other crew ask Rachel about her obnoxious drunken behavior?  

I'm going with they realized it was a pointless exercise that may have made things worse talking to her directly.  She has a huge mean streak.  So they are trying to manage it as best they can.

• Useful 4
  • Love 15
15 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Since when does the chef wander off to gather the provisions?  I've only seen them delivered.

I feel like I remember Ben (maybe?) going to a local market one time?  I remember some chef talking about loving local ingredients blahblah as they did shopping.  Maybe they all did it but it doesn’t ever fit the drama so we don’t see it. 

James was already freaked by Elizabeth and her drunken marriage talk.  He’s using the “she didn’t have my back with Rachel” thing as an excuse.

Also, when I typed the episode title in I was like “UTIs?”  That’s weird for a Below Deck title.  Sigh.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, PaperTree said:

I'm going with they realized it was a pointless exercise that may have made things worse talking to her directly.  She has a huge mean streak.  So they are trying to manage it as best they can.

That's fair and a good point.  

I just think regardless of her mean streak, personally, I would have had to say something the next day.  I don't do passive-agressive very well, and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when someone needlessly embarrasses me and themself or totally pisses me off.  I can let things go once or twice, but if the actions are continuously repeated (as with Rachel), then I think I would have hard time keeping my mouth shut! 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

3 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I feel like I remember Ben (maybe?) going to a local market one time?  I remember some chef talking about loving local ingredients blahblah as they did shopping.  Maybe they all did it but it doesn’t ever fit the drama so we don’t see it. 

James was already freaked by Elizabeth and her drunken marriage talk.  He’s using the “she didn’t have my back with Rachel” thing as an excuse.

Also, when I typed the episode title in I was like “UTIs?”  That’s weird for a Below Deck title.  Sigh.

Yes - Ben did go to a local hydroponic farm for fresh local herbs and vegetables, and also, I think we've seen him at local markets.  

I also feel like we may have seen Adam do this as well, on Below Deck Med.  

What was weird was that Rachel went off for provisions on her own, PRIOR to the preference sheet meeting being shown, so those things were out of sequence.   How would she know what to order if she hadn't already seen the preference sheets (which it looked like she was reviewing, prior to going shopping on her own)?  Bad editing there....

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Cowboy dinner:  BBQ brisket, ribs, more meat, some taters, generic salad.  EZ

I feel like this was one dinner were Rachel dropped the ball, just a bit.  Not to say that the food looked amazing and probably tasted great, but it was more of a "surf and turf" than Cowboy dinner.  I would imagine a Cowboy dinner with the foods you mention here, except maybe some baked beans and cornbread added.  Oh, and some kind of fancied-up chicken fried steak.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 7
Just now, njbchlover said:

I feel like this was one dinner were Rachel dropped the ball, just a bit.  Not to say that the food looked amazing and probably tasted great, but it was more of a "surf and turf" than Cowboy dinner.  I would imagine a Cowboy dinner with the foods you mention here, except maybe some baked beans and cornbread added.  

How could I forget the cornbread and beans!  🙂 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I feel like this was one dinner were Rachel dropped the ball, just a bit.  Not to say that the food looked amazing and probably tasted great, but it was more of a "surf and turf" than Cowboy dinner.  I would imagine a Cowboy dinner with the foods you mention here, except maybe some baked beans and cornbread added.  

I see Franchesca offering whole grain bread and corn bread in a basket.

So, Rachel works sick, Izzy works sick, Ashling works sick.  Elizabeth whines and says she probably won't be able to work because she has an uti. Just hope it's not chlamydia or another std from James.   If Ashling didn't have diarrhea also, I would say Rachel's was caused by being drunk for those several days.  

Also, Elizabeth still doesn't get the work flow.  She would drive me nuts if I had to work with her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
21 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

I know Eddie and Francesca discussed it with Captain Lee, but I think someone should have enlightened her to the fact that she owed everyone a big apology for embarrassing them and ruining their entire day off.  Not that I think Rachel would have apologized to anyone - she doesn't seem to have any remorse for what occurred.  

I know she can cook better than any chef we've seen, but her out-of-galley behavior disgusts me.  Her mouth is foul (even when she's sober), she's rude and she's a nasty drunk.  The only "positive" thing I can say about Rachel is that I am learning a whole new set of descriptives for genitalia!  

I think they felt let’s leave well enough alone.  They’re afraid of setting her off because she might quit again.  She definitely should be banned from alcohol for the remainder.  She’s a talented Chef but I doubt she’ll have much of a career left after this show airs.  Word spreads quickly in the industry. 

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing inside Elizabeth’s cranium except for a few cobwebs and some mossy pebbles.  She’s completely incompetent but she always has a smile and a good attitude. Although, now that I think about it, the smile could be the result of idiocy.  Imagine if she had a personality like Rachel? 

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, nytonc said:

I’m pretty sure there’s nothing inside Elizabeth’s cranium except for a few cobwebs and some mossy pebbles.  She’s completely incompetent but she always has a smile and a good attitude. Although, now that I think about it, the smile could be the result of idiocy

Classic "airhead".  In one ear and right out the other.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

What was weird was that Rachel went off for provisions on her own, PRIOR to the preference sheet meeting being shown, so those things were out of sequence.   How would she know what to order if she hadn't already seen the preference sheets (which it looked like she was reviewing, prior to going shopping on her own)?  Bad editing there....

Maybe she's going off for more than provisions.  Her behavior seems like more than just alcohol to me.

1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

What would be the point?  She might apologize when sober, then act out again with her first sip of alcohol (or whatever else).  Ultimately, she can do whatever she wants as long as Lee lets her and he made his choice.  It's been 2 charters since her freak out, he could have gotten a replacement by now.  Lee screwed that up.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Rachel needs to be a quiet drunk...just drink yourself into oblivion without your potty mouth spewing filth.

Liz can’t get her way out of a paperbag sliding door.
Cute montage of Capt. Lee and his son...the show did right to do a memorial.

Single Pringle.

lzzy and Gigi had poops.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Rachel needs to be a quiet drunk...just drink yourself into oblivion without your potty mouth spewing filth.

Liz can’t get her way out of a paperbag sliding door.
Cute montage of Capt. Lee and his son...the show did right to do a memorial.

Single Pringle.

lzzy and Gigi had poops.

She reminds me of the newest NY Housewife Leah. Probably already noted but I'm just catching up.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jack Sampson said:

It's been 2 charters since her freak out, he could have gotten a replacement by now.  Lee screwed that up.

He might just be digging the great chow as he’s getting invited to so many meals lately 😀

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I would imagine a Cowboy dinner with the foods you mention here, except maybe some baked beans and cornbread added. 

They did have cornbread offered I believe, but I was thinking how awesome super fancy baked beans with carmelized onions and barrel aged maple flavor would be! 🤪

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

They did have cornbread offered I believe, but I was thinking how awesome super fancy baked beans with carmelized onions and barrel aged maple flavor would be! 🤪

YES and a tomahawk steak 

• Love 4

Rachel may turn into the worse kind of drunk with the devil water in her belly but she does the crew right by always having a hot meal for them...we get glimpses of the nice platters of her food for them.
You can hate me but.....it would be a comfort to Captain Lee if Kate was his chief stew on this season as he grieves for his youngest son, she’s like family.

Liz, all you got out your trysts with James was an uti...If it weren’t for bad luck, you’d have no luck at all....

• LOL 6
  • Love 15

Did anyone else tear up when Captain Lee talked about his son? Not something I usually do during reality shows. He may have been prompted by the producers to talk about it, but it was obvious the pain was still so fresh for him. Plus, I think seeing Rachel and feeling the same helplessness had to be really hard on him.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Jsage said:

Did anyone else tear up when Captain Lee talked about his son? Not something I usually do during reality shows. He may have been prompted by the producers to talk about it, but it was obvious the pain was still so fresh for him. Plus, I think seeing Rachel and feeling the same helplessness had to be really hard on him.

Me!  It was hard to listen to him.  He always seems like such a tough guy and hearing him talk about his son and seeing the photo montage really got to me.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I thought it was odd, she returned to the boat with two shopping bags and asked for help loading provisions...is there a central market that knows to bill the boat?

I have noticed that the crew are eating take out a lot so maybe Rachel is not cooking for them so much?

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, njbchlover said:

That's fair and a good point.  

I just think regardless of her mean streak, personally, I would have had to say something the next day.  I don't do passive-agressive very well, and I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when someone needlessly embarrasses me and themself or totally pisses me off.  I can let things go once or twice, but if the actions are continuously repeated (as with Rachel), then I think I would have hard time keeping my mouth shut! 

I can be jokingly passive aggressive.  I would totally tell her about herself  with other heads of department present,  while making it sound like I was joking. I would say something around the lines of " Girl you got so drunk yesterday that you tried to sing with the band,  cursed everyone out, started babbling like a demon and then passed out." " You don't remember doing all of that?" "Girl I'm still  laughing at how drunk you were." In that way she gets the point and she can't say I was aggressive. 

Rachel is the type that needs to hit rock bottom before she seeks help.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 5

The take out is when a Chef is off duty and they are in between charters, docked...Chipotle, anyone?
Liz’s salad looked anemic and sad...
 Shocked that Rachel radio requested a man to help process the lobsters...she has no problem Ripping a James a new one when she is 3 sheets to the wind...

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

The take out is when a Chef is off duty and they are in between charters, docked...Chipotle, anyone?
Liz’s salad looked anemic and sad...
 Shocked that Rachel radio requested a man to help process the lobsters...she has no problem Ripping a James a new one when she is 3 sheets to the wind...

I'm with James, I would not lift a finger to help the nasty ass chef the rest of the season.

Liz did not have his back. That's as good a reason as any to dump her dingbat ass.

• Love 7

How old is Elizabeth? I mean chronologically since her mental and emotional age come in at 14.

Maybe it’s the editing folks amping up her inability to do anything, but by this stage in the season, shouldn’t Elizabeth know to tie her hair back for service, check laundry constantly, stay busy because there is always something to do?  She still can’t pour a drink properly, still can’t work at a faster pace, even though she’s been doing the same tasks for weeks.

As for her love sick, let’s get married  “relationship” with James...sigh.  You don’t “fall in love” at summer camp, on reality shows, or with someone you meet on a yachting a part time job.

• LOL 2
  • Love 17

I know I'm in the minority here, but I am loving this season because the stakes are so low.  The last seasons of BD and BDM gave me so much work PTSD flashbacks, I had to quit watching.  I'm all in for garden variety fuckbois, incompetent yet not malicious stews & deckies, and drunken, inappropriate chefs.  I still think Rachel is the best chef on any BD season. Yeah, she was embarrassing at the day resort, but she didn't creep on any crew member, jiz on a guest pillow, set the oven aflame with her neglect, or serve sad nachos.  Or freak out over a cucumber.  I still would have had more respect for her if she continued her walk-off, but at least she hasn't sexuallly harassed anyone.  Ane she's right about James.  He's a total fuckboi.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, hoosiermom said:

I am 67 years old and had to google “flick my bean”. Learn something new every day! 

Don’t feel bad, I had to explain it to my wife too. You should have seen her look when the light 💡 bulb went off 🤣

• LOL 11

Third time that we have seen a Chef preparing food while complaining about Diarrhea. Ugh. This season of BD has seemed interminable.  I guess for me it's because no one on this cast is interesting or fun to watch, well maybe Eddie. They are either incompetent or bitchy. Captain Lee is off this season mainly becasue of the recent death of his son. I can't imagine the pain he is in.  

• Love 5
13 hours ago, njbchlover said:

What was weird was that Rachel went off for provisions on her own, PRIOR to the preference sheet meeting being shown, so those things were out of sequence.   H

They showed her looking at preference sheets before she went shopping, which confirms the theory that those preference sheet meetings are just for theatre, at least for the chef.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

I still think Rachel is the best chef on any BD season. Yeah, she was embarrassing at the day resort, but she didn't creep on any crew member, jiz on a guest pillow, set the oven aflame with her neglect, or serve sad nachos.  Or freak out over a cucumber.

And she wasn't deliberately cruel to anyone, that is, except James, and that doesn't count.  I find Rachel highly entertaining.  I wanted to hear her drunken version of "Walking After Midnight".

Back when I was in elementary school, jizz was spelled with two z's.  😉

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, MartyQui said:

They showed her looking at preference sheets before she went shopping, which confirms the theory that those preference sheet meetings are just for theatre, at least for the chef.

It's really just a device to introduce the incoming party to the audience.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Third time that we have seen a Chef preparing food while complaining about Diarrhea. Ugh. This season of BD has seemed interminable.  I guess for me it's because no one on this cast is interesting or fun to watch, well maybe Eddie. They are either incompetent or bitchy. Captain Lee is off this season mainly becasue of the recent death of his son. I can't imagine the pain he is in.  

It is so gross and really I don't think someone should be preparing food if they have diarrhea.  It could NOROVIRUS which is highly contagious.  All she has to do is touch her mouth and then the food and the whole group could get it.  

12 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

And she wasn't deliberately cruel to anyone, that is, except James, and that doesn't count.  I find Rachel highly entertaining.  I wanted to hear her drunken version of "Walking After Midnight".

Whenever I hear that song I think of the OLD commercial with the teenagers who are sending instant messages/email to each other using the new thing called "the internet."

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

What's the worst type of Rachel?

Drunk Rachel?

Potty mouth Rachel?

Flicking her bean Rachel?

Gastrointestinal distress Rachel?

Then the UTI and food poisoning.

All BEFORE the coronavirus takes off.

I've lost what little interest I've had in multiway cruises.

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Exactly what I said!! He got his "out."

Elizabeth wasn't being anti-James by having compassion to a drunken slob imo. On that:  The only things I didn't like about Elizabeth this ep was the drunken marriage talk & her jealousy about James & Ashling. If a "girl can't be trusted around your guy" it sounds like the guy's problem. 

Finally finished the episode and have to add that Elizabeth went right down with the UTI & as others pointed out, Ashling, Rachel & Izzy had to power through their sicknesses. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 7

I still enjoy this show. I love the scenery of Antigua but I got nervous when they posted the date of filming as March 4.

How many Charters before the Coronavirus stopped the show from filming?

It's a tough situation for the crew because they depend on Rachel's excellent meals for a good tip.

I hope Rachel gets help for dealing with her anger after she gets drunk.

Elizabeth is easy going, but I don't think she can handle working on a yacht charter full time.

It's sad that so much of the crew got sick at the same time.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Her food looks amazing. She is one nasty drunk. I'm not a pearl clutcher over language, but I'm polite in company, even when stressed.

• Love 6

I'm amazed that Lizzie could go five days not knowing she had a UTI and a kidney infection. As a 60-ish woman who has had, I dunno, maybe fifty UTIs in my life, the symptoms are intolerable and unmistakeable. 

Edited by dleighg
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8