Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of January 11, 2021

TheView
  • Start Topic

I wish the hosts wouldn’t read their questions off the teleprompter. It sounds so stilted and kills any flow to the conversation.

The pacing is awful today.

Meg is changing her tune today about wanting Trump to be convicted but not pardoned. What happened to “we have to listen to the base” and not further antagonizing them?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 11

Joy Friday's always work more seamlessly than the rest of the week. Part of me wants to blame Whoopi for that (I don't think she's a great moderator), but I know Joy occasionally asks Whoopi if she can say something else which then triggers everyone else to try to jump in with a second comment, too. When Joy's moderating, she can make a second comment as she throws it off to the next person or to commercial, which helps the issue.

Thank you Joy for asking that question. It deserves to be brought up every time this man is on TV anywhere.

• Love 16

Joy asked Comey  how he would like to be addressed this morning, and he answered to call him 'James'. Joy obliged.

MeAgain was up next and decided to call him 'Mr. Comey'.

Sunny was up at bats next addressing him as 'Director Comey'.

Sarah's turn came up, and didn't address him at all.

Ana was last and she copied MeAgain, addressing him as 'Mr. Comey'

After the break it was the same for Round Two.

I guess only Joy can follow directions?

BTW, did Sunny just come back from cheerleading practice?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Joy, if Flake was still in the Senate he’d be a good soldier and do whatever Mitch says. He’s no profile in courage.

Oh, oh!  I got an Aerogarden for Christmas and am growing herbs. A friend has one and grows veggies. It’s cool!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

. . . So now that they're all agreed that Trumpism is a cult, will Meghan apologize to Tara Setmayer

Good reminder! I forgot about that.

20 hours ago, Kromm said:

I've always wondered about this. It IS clear she dislikes Sara. 

Intellectually Sara is a bit of a lightweight, in my opinion, but it's not like MeAgain is a big brain either. I wonder if it's Sara's likeability that MeAgain DOES hate. Or maybe the results of it more than the actual personality trait. Sara got the talk show, albeit one that eventually failed for various reasons. Or maybe it's how Sara got where she is Meghan doesn't respect. Meghan (falsely) believes that she herself is a special person, an elite, an educated sophisticated pundit. Sara is a former NBC Page who backdoored into a series of successes first on NBC then ABC. Maybe miss Political Dynasty doesn't respect that. Or maybe she thinks Sara has leveraged her looks maybe? Sara is 43 and could easily pass for mid 30s.  Meghan is 36 and could easily pass for 50.  I don't much care about their relative looks, but maybe Meghan does?  It's speculation based on nothing other than trying to figure out why a (I'll say it again) seeming lightweight like Sara gets under MeAgain's skin so much. 

I think everyone that isn't a McCain gets under McCain's skin. Tara Setmayer, Nicolle, Abby, Elisabeth, Sherri, Paula, Ana, Joy, Sunny, Sara--who doesn't trigger this big baby? I notice a great many on that list are fellow conservatives. My guess is she attacks other conservatives out of job insecurity more than anything else.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

YAY! Another day with Greta Monahan to 'View Your Deal' !!!

But let's be realistic Greta...people who have been locked up in their homes for the past 11 months home-schooling their kids will not be purchasing Aero Gardens to grow their own tomato plants, dill, parsley, etc. They're going to be growing their own marijuana - so if you suggested that, you will sell a whole lot more!

And Sarah, did you really just get excited over a drinking straw? Really?

BTW, Greta - I almost purchased your scale you pushed down our throats on Monday. They're not all cracked up to what you and Sarah were so giggly about - the reviews were horrible. Customers complained that it wouldn't hook up to their wifi (that's a must for the scales to work), they glass top cracked by the slightest touch, the measurements were not accurate, and it was impossible to set up - even while watching the You Tube videos. Most everyone complained about their customer service. And for the record, other vendors were selling the scale at close to the same price as the 'deal' and offering free shipping / returns - which you were not. So with your $49.99 price and shipping - it came to the same price. If there's a need to ship it back, it came out to more. I skipped it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

As soon as I saw Comey's face, I changed the channel.  I had no desire to watch this man opine on anything.  Comey has never met a camera that he did not love.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

But let's be realistic Greta...people who have been locked up in their homes for the past 11 months home-schooling their kids will not be purchasing Aero Gardens to grow their own tomato plants, dill, parsley, etc. They're going to be growing their own marijuana - so if you suggested that, you will sell a whole lot more!

Funny, I decided that if anyone asked me what the light was in my kitchen I’d tell them I was growing pot. New hobby. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

. . . So now that they're all agreed that Trumpism is a cult, will Meghan apologize to Tara Setmayer

Please. She’ll never apologize to anyone but Whoopi.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think everyone that isn't a McCain gets under McCain's skin. Tara Setmayer, Nicolle, Abby, Elisabeth, Sherri, Paula, Ana, Joy, Sunny, Sara--who doesn't trigger this big baby? I notice a great many on that list are fellow conservatives. My guess is she attacks other conservatives out of job insecurity more than anything else.

Whoopi is the exception. Only because she was the one who got her hired.🙄🙄😒😒

• Love 11
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Meghan doesn't like anyone she thinks is some sort of threat to her.  Whether it's someone who disagrees with her politically or someone who is more conservative than her, someone who gets more likes on Instagram or someone who gets more retweets.   I think she has deep rooted issues that have made her the person she is.  For someone who has seemingly had a pretty good life she sure seems miserable.

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Please. She’ll never apologize to anyone but Whoopi.

Whoopi is the exception. Only because she was the one who got her hired.🙄🙄😒😒

She is also scared of Whoopie..

• Love 14
15 hours ago, TimWil said:

I hope Joy makes a crack about the Lincoln bust being carried out of the WH today.

I heard it was being returned to wherever they borrowed it from. Trump probably doesn't think Biden should have it in his White House, because "Lincoln was a Republican." I'd love Joe to p.o. Trump by borrowing it back. 😉

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Meghan, anyone can live in the DC area.  Living there does not make you special.

Today she told Comey that she lived "in the Beltway".  Someone probably called her out because she doesn't live in DC proper, but in the lovely suburbs of Virginia or Maryland as I've suspected all along. Even when she said there were BLM protesters outside her NYC building.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

Wow that bit about the access to the briefings scared me to death.  I don't think many peeps knew that.  I sure didnt.

Since I’m half ass watching/ listening what segment was it talked about.?  Admittedly I fast forward through Comey for the most part.  I will replay if you let me know where I might find it. Thanks 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Since I’m half ass watching/ listening what segment was it talked about.?  Admittedly I fast forward through Comey for the most part.  I will replay if you let me know where I might find it. Thanks 

It was the Comey segment. He was asked about the international happenings & security briefings that former presidents continue to get and Joy wondered if Trump could tweet-equivalent or sell information to Putin or NKoreans.  Comey said they were general briefings.  Luckily YouKnowWho has no attention span so his briefings would presumably be very brief.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Wow that bit about the access to the briefings scared me to death.  I don't think many peeps knew that.  I sure didnt.

Haven't watched yet, but if you mean you didn't know that Biden wasn't read in on briefings--that's been reported since Biden was declared the winner. Even this show talked about it--at length--when what's her face from the GAS wouldn't sign that paper that would start the transition.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Hi there. I believe it was the second segment and he only did two segs.  I don't have the minute but the segs are only a couple mins long so i don't think you'll miss it.  In fact i think they went to commercial right after it went down.  Oh! And it was Ana who brought it up.  So listen when she starts talking , like I know you already do. <g>

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

@ 5:39 Ana asks her question

• Useful 1
34 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Haven't watched yet, but if you mean you didn't know that Biden wasn't read in on briefings--that's been reported since Biden was declared the winner. Even this show talked about it--at length--when what's her face from the GAS wouldn't sign that paper that would start the transition.

No it wasn't that.  Its the security briefings and those kinds of meetings. Ana asked Comey if POTUS would get access. Comey said it is SOP to give all ex-Presidents access to those briefings.  The reason being that they usually travel extensively worldwide for speaking engagements.  So they brief him on what's going on where he's going, or if he himself is a target.  So hopefully if POTUS is impeached once ✔, impeached twice ✔, and convicted , he won't have that access.  @GHScorpiosRule

7 minutes ago, falltime said:

@ 5:39 Ana asks her question

Thanks @Falltime

Edited by ForumLou
Add
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2021 at 12:35 PM, AryasMum said:

Cindy McCain describing what Republicans stood for:  

Inclusion 

Generosity

Country First 

What is this Republican Party Cindy is referring to?  Inclusion? Generosity??  Since when?

So I’m 71. I know what Cindy was talking about.  I was a Republican growing up and in the 60s , maybe part of the 70s, that would have fit.  It was a party that include Barry Goldwater and Nelson Rockefeller.  There were members who were more liberal on social issues yet fiscally conservative, as well as very conservative (eg goldwater who probably would t recognize this party...I think he was the one who said that if the party joined with the religious right it would be the end of the party).  They reached across the aisle with regularity.  I assume she’s close to my age, and certainly John McCain was there during that era, and that’s the party she remembers.  Hasn’t been that party since at least th early 80 s though.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ForumLou said:

No it wasn't that.  Its the security briefings and those kinds of meetings. Ana asked Comey if POTUS would get access. Comey said it is SOP to give all ex-Presidents access to those briefings.  The reason being that they usually travel extensively worldwide for speaking engagements.  So they brief him on what's going on where he's going, or if he himself is a target.  So hopefully if POTUS is impeached once ✔, impeached twice ✔, and convicted , he won't have that access. 

Got it.

But that's well known about former presidents. 

And that's why the Sunny and Joy have been forceful about the second part--the Senate convicting so that he can't run for federal office again or get the other benefits.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Presidents elect get the Presidential Daily Briefing which is the first step in the seamless transition.  Former presidents don't get a PDB, they get a watered down version of what's up.  Its for when they are out giving speeches, they don't say something they're not supposed.  Its at the discretion of the sitting president what is sent out (not decided daily, but in general), so rest assured that Obama's daily brief are not the same that 45 will get.  Assuming he's not in prison soon.  

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

So I’m 71. I know what Cindy was talking about.  I was a Republican growing up and in the 60s , maybe part of the 70s, that would have fit.  It was a party that include Barry Goldwater and Nelson Rockefeller.  There were members who were more liberal on social issues yet fiscally conservative, as well as very conservative (eg goldwater who probably would t recognize this party...I think he was the one who said that if the party joined with the religious right it would be the end of the party).  They reached across the aisle with regularity.  I assume she’s close to my age, and certainly John McCain was there during that era, and that’s the party she remembers.  Hasn’t been that party since at least th early 80 s though.  

Barry Goldwater was for gay rights and was pro-choice, you are correct the party did change.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3

I am pretty sure that Ana's comments on the Trump cult were intended to irk MeAgain.

Sarcastic Oh No GIF by Saturday Night Live

I def blame Comey for the 2016 election result. However, he has been extremely accurate in calling Trump out for exactly what he is and what he has been doing. 

• Love 9

Also, Meghan?  "In the Beltway" isn't a place unless you're buried under the asphalt.  It's a road, Meghan!  The beltway is a road!  You can live inside the beltway, you can live outside the beltway, but, you can’t live in the beltway.

Edited by Axie
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3

Go away Comey. With all social media banning Trump, I disagree that he'd be "on the national stage" for the next two years or whatever he said. Same could be said if/when State courts/justice investigate him.

And also, shut up, Flake. Oh, and Joy? It's "FORMER Arizona Senator Flake." And another self-serving interview where he tries to act as if he chose country over party but always fell in line and only started criticizing Trump, when he decided he wasn't going to run in 2018. And what was the point of throwing in that comment about the Scalese shooting?

I see that glitter eyeshadow isn't the problem, as Meghan was all blink-blink-blink today, as well. Maybe it's the fake eyelashes?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Axie said:

Oooooh!!!  $11 straws!!!  Sign me up!

I liked the fact that they open up for cleaning; I'd never seen that before. Cleaning effort is the reason I never bought reusable straws, so I've grown accustomed to not using straws at all. I suspect cheaper versions of this butterfly straw will soon be available.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

As soon as I saw Comey's face, I changed the channel.  I had no desire to watch this man opine on anything.  Comey has never met a camera that he did not love.  

I also found that to be true of MeAgain’s daddy. I will always admire him for his service but my god, seeing that smug, s**t eating grin of his on my TV screen for years became an absolute chore. Dude LOVED pontificating on TV and telling us that he was always right about everything. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, obviously.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Axie said:

Also, Meghan?  "In the Beltway" isn't a place unless you're buried under the asphalt.  It's a road, Meghan!  The beltway is a road!  You can live inside the beltway, you can live outside the beltway, but, you can’t live in the beltway.

As an outsider she is probably not aware that locals say they live "INSIDE the beltway" when they live inside the Capital Beltway (Interstate 495). She'd be a lot quieter if she was under the asphalt!  I like Wikipedia's description: 

"Inside the Beltway" is an American idiom used to characterize matters that are, or seem to be, important primarily to officials of the U.S. federal government, to its contractors and lobbyists, and to the corporate media who cover them—as opposed to the interests and priorities of the general U.S. population.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Comey is appalled at what is happening but he has no regrets for the decisions he made in 2016 that may have affected the election, he answered Joy. He would do the same thing again.

Flake is so against Trump and his bad decisions now, he's just horrified. But I remember during the hearings for Trump's second Supreme Court nominee when two women, rape survivors, cornered Flake in the elevator and practically begged him to reconsider before voting as Trump wanted. Flake ignored them. Crocodile tears now.

I have no time for either Comey or Flake.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

So MeAgain was citing all of these high stats re how repubs would again vote for Trump. She is indicating he still has the power. However, I saw a poll this evening that says he has 29% approval rating by the American people.

I guess both things can be true, but isn't the latter more important?

• Love 1
On 1/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Agree. I think the way Meghan rolls with conservatives is the way popular pretty girls often like to befriend other popular pretty girls. They like to have a cool factor and to feel they're in a special group, but they don't want too much competition either. Sometimes you can be too pretty for folks who like surrounding themselves with pretty people. Meghan is all tribal with conservatives. (People on the left are to Meghan what the unattractive girls are to high schoolers, yucky! lol) Meghan prefers conservatives for her clique, but if it's a conservative who's taken more seriously as a pundit and takes shine away from her, that's not going to fly. She wants to feel special. In her mind she is the one who's been in politics all her life and has the war hero famous father, and the others are supposed to just be conservatives. When the fans enjoy Ana or some of the former conservative hosts infinitely more than Meghan, Meghan becomes resentful. She likes being the top dog. If a conservative is better liked by the rest of the hosts or viewers, Meghan always says that individual is not as conservative as she is. There's just no way that another conservative in America could possibly be kinder, smarter, or dare I say it, even more patriotic! 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, TimWil said:

I also found that to be true of MeAgain’s daddy. I will always admire him for his service but my god, seeing that smug, s**t eating grin of his on my TV screen for years became an absolute chore. Dude LOVED pontificating on TV and telling us that he was always right about everything. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, obviously.

There was a HUGE darkside of John Mccain we should acknowledge, but urge people to look up off of this thread. 

8 hours ago, bannana said:

So MeAgain was citing all of these high stats re how repubs would again vote for Trump. She is indicating he still has the power. However, I saw a poll this evening that says he has 29% approval rating by the American people.

I guess both things can be true, but isn't the latter more important?

The 29% is just one poll though. 

I've seen others that indicate at least 3/4 of Republicans still support him.  The numbers don't QUITE jibe, but there's certainly a fudge factor that can be explained. Remember a lot of former Republicans are now independents. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kromm said:

I've seen others that indicate at least 3/4 of Republicans still support him.  The numbers don't QUITE jibe, but there's certainly a fudge factor that can be explained. Remember a lot of former Republicans are now independents. 

Right when they say n% of Republicans believe blah blah blah, if the number represented by "Republican" has dropped, then that percentage is less meaningful than earlier.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

There was a HUGE darkside of John Mccain we should acknowledge, but urge people to look up off of this thread. 

The 29% is just one poll though. 

The 3/4 sounds about right to me. Most of the Republicans I know do indeed still support him. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Axie said:

She always tries to sound much more important than she actually is, probably to try and impress others. I think the only one she's impressing is herself.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, TimWil said:

Just imagine, we now have an upcoming biopic to look forward to.  Can't wait for every actor in the movie to make an appearance on the show.  Had to laugh when someone asked who John would have wanted to play him and Cindy was noncommittal, however, MeAgain jumped in to say he wanted Robert Duvall to play him. She obviously knew him better than his own wife. Wonder who will be lucky enough to play MeAgain. 

I, for one, have had enough of the canonization of this family.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Badbea99 said:

Just imagine, we now have an upcoming biopic to look forward to.  Can't wait for every actor in the movie to make an appearance on the show.  Had to laugh when someone asked who John would have wanted to play him and Cindy was noncommittal, however, MeAgain jumped in to say he wanted Robert Duvall to play him. She obviously knew him better than his own wife. Wonder who will be lucky enough to play MeAgain. 

She was pretty awesome as the Princess of Arizona!

5cb4afa46afbee570b00ce17?width=1200&form

Especially ditto the bolded part. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Badbea99 said:

I am sure daddy came to Meghan in a dream to tell her to have cast Duvall as him in this biopic. Surely she has access to him still. 

And only Meghan can play Meghan in the biopic - who else could possibly voice her strong conservative values.

• LOL 8
On 1/15/2021 at 11:39 AM, Axie said:

Meghan, I believe you live in Fairfax, VA.  You're in the DMV, not D.C., so quit acting like you live in a penthouse at the top of the Washington Monument.  God, you annoy me.

So funny!

Was Mrs. McCain on Thursday?  I did catch that.  Meghan interviewing her mother was cringe worthy.  I don't get why MM thinks that being nasty = being smart.

I missed the rest of the show because our local news broke in with a breaking news that our previous Governor and his crew were indicted in the Flint water crisis.

• Love 1