Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of January 4, 2021

• Start Topic

Scheduled guests for the week of JAN. 4-8 are as follows (subject to change):

Monday, Jan. 4 - Co-host Meghan McCain returns from maternity leave after welcoming her first child, daughter Liberty Sage McCain Domenech, on Sept. 28; Day of Hot Topics

Tuesday, Jan. 5 - Dr. Sanjay Gupta (author, "Keep Sharp")

Wednesday, Jan. 6 - Ken Jeong (judge, "The Masked Singer")

Thursday, Jan. 7 - Lil Nas X (author, "C is for Country"); Ralph Macchio and William Zabka ("Cobra Kai")

Friday, Jan. 8 - Day of Hot Topics

• Love 3

It looks like we're being spared any and all 'View Your Deal's this week. Can it be they have no leftover Christmas crap to sell ? No leftover facial creams, hand lotions, scarves, robes, 'readers', sunglasses, truffle jams, spicy mustards and paint-by-number sets from Oprah?

And 2 "Day of Hot Topics" better go beyond conversations of 'So should everyone be wearing a mask?', 'Is everyone gonna get the vaccine?' and 'Ya think you-know-who will leave the White House on the 20th ?'

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, deirdra said:

Normally viewers are excited for their shows to return after breaks.  But this year we feel only trepidation.

Now let's be fair...maybe a three month maternity break has softened her a bit, and calmed her down.

OK - probably not. 😃

BTW - am I the only one who thinks of the Liberty Mutual Insurance jingle when I see her daughter's name ?  "Liberty, Liberty, Liberty...Liberty". Won't it be funny if one of the hosts start singing this on air (that would be Whoopi) ?  Or if one asked her why she named her after a car insurance company (that would be Sara) ? That would crumble Meghan's cookies.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

Let's play a drinking game (sorry - coffee or tea only, that early in the morning).

When the show returns Monday, take a gulp every time:

Meghan reminds us 'As y'all know, I just had a baby...'.

Whoopi asks 'Should we all be wearing a mask?'

Sunny reminds us of her legal background...

Joy says, "He's gotta go ...." (take your pick of a republican)

Happy New Year! 😃

• LOL 13
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Snoozer of a lineup. Guess the only people answering their phones last week were people with shows to promote. 

I can't imagine what Dr. Sanjay Gupta is going to talk about. Do you think it will have anything to do with COVID,  wearing masks, and the vaccines ? Tuesday can't get here fast enough !

• LOL 6

I watched the Sugar Bowl last night.  The only reason I'm mentioning that on The View board was that Kirk Herbstreit was providing color from his home in Nashville while Chris Fowler was at the game and they did it seamlessly.  So, if they can do it, why can't The View do it?  (And I would say providing color on a fast-moving football game should be more difficult than a bunch of ladies gabbing...)

• Love 7
5 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

So, if they can do it, why can't The View do it?  

It isn't only sports that have mastered remote taping, it's news shows, talk shows and game shows.  Only The View seems to have problems with it.  I can think of two reasons.

Pre-covid Whoopi was an awful moderator, post-covid she's even worse.

I'm a fan of Joy, but not too big of a fan that I can't see her faults.  She has an awful habit of once making a point, she'll pause a couple of seconds and then add a joke, which throws the flow ought of whack.  It's awkward to watch.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

It isn't only sports that have mastered remote taping, it's news shows, talk shows and game shows.  Only The View seems to have problems with it.  I can think of two reasons.

Pre-covid Whoopi was an awful moderator, post-covid she's even worse.

I'm a fan of Joy, but not too big of a fan that I can't see her faults.  She has an awful habit of once making a point, she'll pause a couple of seconds and then add a joke, which throws the flow ought of whack.  It's awkward to watch.

Yes, Whoopi really is awful and i wish they would replace her.

And, I love Joy, but i would think her husband or someone would tell her how this is causing problems - I know she's just trying to put a light spin on things, but it just causes everything to get out of sync.

• Love 8

What's really impressive about Whoopi and her moderating skills is how she is able to keep lowering the bar lower & lower as time goes on.  Just when you think she could not possibly get any worse at it - she does.  That's quite the accomplishment.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, cinsays said:

And, I love Joy, but i would think her husband or someone would tell her how this is causing problems - I know she's just trying to put a light spin on things, but it just causes everything to get out of sync.

She needs to add the joke or additional thought without the long pause.  Sunny started interrupting others more towards the end of 2020 too.  After 9 months they should be getting better at it, not worse.  Though Missy will throw a spanner in the works.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

I watched the Sugar Bowl last night.  The only reason I'm mentioning that on The View board was that Kirk Herbstreit was providing color from his home in Nashville while Chris Fowler was at the game and they did it seamlessly.  So, if they can do it, why can't The View do it?  (And I would say providing color on a fast-moving football game should be more difficult than a bunch of ladies gabbing...)

Remove Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler, and replace them with any two hosts from The View. Whoopi & Sara, Whoopi  & Sunny, Whoopi & Joy, Sunny & Joy, Sunny &Sara, etc.

I promise you -  that seamless remote coverage will be just a faded memory.

8 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

He's there to pimp his book.

Shucks! I was hoping he would be there to diagnose Meghan's personality disorders. And yes, I said disorders - the plural. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Shucks! I was hoping he would be there to diagnose Meghan's personality disorders. And yes, I said disorders - the plural. 

She's a catalog of personality disorders 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 10:30 AM, Haleth said:

Snoozer of a lineup. Guess the only people answering their phones last week were people with shows to promote. 

I don't know, I'm looking forward to Jeong and Lil Nas X, although I expect the interviews themselves to be boring fluff. Guests were always my least favorite part of the show, but they're even worse now with everything being remote. I think the show would be fine without guests until they're back in the studio, since everyone seems to get to speak so little as it is now. Maybe devote two segments to one topic for a back-and-forth instead of the "everyone speaks 90 seconds then commercial" routine.

On a related note, I didn't watch most of the re-runs the past two weeks, but I did see the one where Joy nearly fell asleep while everyone was talking and Sara had to shout at her, lol. I can't blame her, since it's like why even bother listening to the others with the current setup. They could just pre-record what they're going to say and Whoopi can play them in order if there's no responding to one another.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Meg has sympathy for new mothers and thinks the country (Conservatives) can do better with paid maternity leave... only after she gives birth. It’s called empathy, Meg, recognizing the feelings of others.

Meg got a new “word of the day” calendar!  Synergy does not mean agreement, Meg.

Liberty is a cutie. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 3
  • Love 15

I was looking forward to today for a lot of reasons, but, listening to Meghan's rapid fire talk about maternity leave wasn't the reason.  I also hope she gives the baby a nickname and doesn't call her Liberty all her life.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meg has sympathy for new mothers and thinks the country (Conservatives) can do better with paid maternity leave... only after she gives birth. It’s called empathy, Meg, recognizing the feelings of others.

I seem to recall maternity leave or maybe family leave was discussed on this show before Meghan was pregnant and she wasn't in favor of it being mandatory.

• Useful 4
  • Love 16

Let the races begin! Meaghan managed to monopolize the first seven minutes demonstrating her magnificent 'motor mouth' skills, as she fired off about motherhood and her maternity leave. She never took a breath, and talked them right into a commercial break. And never in my years of watching the show was I ever more happy when the commercial came on.

Note to Meghan: Try Dunkin' decaf in the morning..

• LOL 12
  • Love 10

Joy hits the bull's-eye again with pointing out people being more concerned about Hilaria than Trump attempting (even if he's failing) to overthrow our government. And then one of those people (McCain) started speaking right after her, lol. At least Sunny is consistent.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

Sunny and Meghan are so buddy buddy.  It is a bit strange.

Why is Meghan bringing a breast pump to work when she works at home?

Because she wants to portray how difficult this whole motherhood thing is. 

I had kids when the breast pumps were these god-awful suction things, not electric or battery operated.  they were painful and exhausting, I gave up after a few times.  If you don't NEED to be away from your baby in the first few months, just breastfeed the kid!  

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

She did.  If I'm not mistaken she even said something about she would say I told you so.

Yep. I think it was before COVID and they were all still in the studio. She told Joy she couldn’t wait until election night to say “I told you so” about Trump winning a second term. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

I sooo don't care about Hilaria Baldwin.  I don't know if it's that serious, Sunny.  I mean, who is she besides Alec Baldwin's wife?  Maybe I'm missing something.  Meghan is back and already is back to monopolizing the show.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I sooo don't care about Hilaria Baldwin.  I don't know if it's that serious, Sunny.  I mean, who is she besides Alec Baldwin's wife?  Maybe I'm missing something.  Meghan is back and already is back to monopolizing the show.

I can understand why this story is all over the place.  It involves a celebrity (who isn't exactly well-liked) and his family.  I get it.  But I don't agree with Sunny that it is serious.  Hillaria (Hillary?) didn't break any laws. As far as we know her saying she was Spanish didn't get her anything that should have rightfully went to someone who was actually Spanish.  Is it a PR nightmare? Yes.  Will it have a negative impact on her?  Well since I don't really know what she did before this whole thing broke I'm guessing probably not.  Let her raise her kids with her husband and let's get back to talking about much more important things.  

• Love 14

Sunny and I are usually on the same page but she is absolutely wrong about Hillaria.  People from Spain are White and they never call themselves Latino or Hispanic. Latino and Hispanic are American labels.  Not even people who live in Latin America call themselves that in their native lands.  They identify as Colombian. Venezuelan, Peruvian, e.tc.  Sunny saying that Hillaria took up space for a Latina is absolutely false. She pretended to not be a native born American and lied about being a Spaniard.  She could have pretended to be a Swedish, Russian French or Finnish. All this backlash against her is so stupid.  It was interesting how Whoopie, Joy and Sara had that point of view while Megan and Sunny were appalled like it was the worst thing ever. This Megan/Sunny team up is weird given what had transpired between them.  We all remember how Sunny gave Nutmeg the cold shoulder for months for trying to get her fired..

Megan's rants about paid maternity leave left me cold. I wish somebody on the panel namely Joy had told her that the same people who want paid maternity leave also want universal healthcare.   She was triggered by Joy and called her a progressive leftist in a nasty tone like it was a bad thing. I expected her to call her a commie...Nutmeg would have fit in during the McCarthy era.. 

I hate to agree with Megan but she was right in saying that the election was too close for comfort.  She is inarticulate as always but what she meant to say was that the electoral college was very close and we all know that is what counts in our country and not the popular vote that Biden won decisively with 8 million more votes than Trump.

Whoopie was great when she said that Biden voters should be respected as well when Megan was saying how Trump Voters should be respected.  Whoopie seemed over her and today was her first day back. Welcome to the Club Whoopie!

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 17