Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of January 4, 2021

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, hisbunkie said:

It is very different because unfortunately, many looked at this as a race issue.

When it is a mental health issue.

It's unfortunate, to say the least, that race got dragged into it but that happened because she pretended to have a Spanish-speaking background. Pretended twice during a televised cooking demonstration to not recall the English word for cucumber.

Admittedly, the fallout from her imaginary heritage would be quite different if she had claimed to be Ukranian or Danish, for example. Perhaps Spanish was the easiest language to use in her charade?

For a long time she acted as if classmates who went through years of school with her were fabricating when they said "Um, she was born and raised in Boston."

Now she ignores or casually glosses over the original history she related to the public for the purpose of presenting as spicy or exotic instead of vanilla.

Like many people, my family background is meaningful to me. I thought it was sweet that she named her children Leonardo, Carmen, Romeo, Eduardo and Rafael to reflect their Mallorcan heritage. And was raising them to respect the culture of their Spanish ancestors. But... her family tree, paternal and maternal, is Anglo-Irish for many generations. That's the Rachel Dolazel aspect.

Add the unrelenting display of sexually suggestive yoga poses. She is extremely limber! Sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle with her ankles behind her head, lying upside down while getting a pedi with her cooter where her torso should be in the mani/pedi chair. I honestly never knew a cooter could be aimed in so many directions during everyday activities. That's the Kim Kardashian aspect.

Two miscarriages and five births in seven years. That's the Octomom aspect.

In one selfie her very young infant's unsupported head lolls back so far that the child nearly appears lifeless. She smiles for the camera, unconcerned. 

She claimed that she was often mistaken for a nanny while speaking Spanish to her blonde/blue-eyed kids in the park and yet... she is the one who created a certain public scenario, did she not?

Not a race issue. Likely a mental health issue. Her husband posts tirades in her defense. They appear to be a good match.

• Useful 3
  • Love 18
37 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

I'm hoping Joy isn't forced to apologize to her tomorrow but it won't surprise me at all.  I bet MeAgain is throwing a hissy fit and demanding an apology and I believe the PTB may very well force Joy's hand.  

If she is forced to apologize, Joy should say what she meant was "I did not miss your constant rude interruptions while I'm speaking one bit.  We had respectable conversations and number 1 ratings while you were gone".   

• Love 15
36 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

I've seen it when he appears on CNN and wondered the same thing. It looks like an opening to the bottom floor below. Maybe to let light in to the room below? I don't see a spiral staircase, so maybe it's just for looks?

It looks like a circular opening to the floor below (no stairs since there is no break in the handrail), probably to add drama and more light to the floor below.  What is bizarre about it is that it is right in front of the fireplace, where most people would put a couch and chairs so that they can sit in front of and enjoy conversation and warmth around the fire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Meghan called Joy rude.  But you know what is REALLY rude?  Meghan interrupting Joy, then telling Joy how JOY feels about Meghan!  you don't tell people how they feel!  If Meghan had simply said that she missed arguing with Joy, it would have been better.  Saying "I missed you"  is world's better than telling someone "You missed me."   And when Joy said she didn't , she was saying she didn't miss arguing with Meghan, but also she didn't miss getting interrupted by Meghan.   Joy was trying to make a point, Meghan didn't want to hear it, she cut her off to say "what about the democrats?  the republican party is fractured?   what about AOC?"  NO, Meghan, you first have to listen to what she was saying.  

This... MM interrupted Joy to talk about something Joy had already said.    Joy prefaced her statement  saying the dems have been fractured for awhile with the progressives/moderates.   But MM had to jump in with her whataboutisms....  Didn't help that her whataboutisms weren't all that impactful or relevant.   She just wanted to interupt….

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 19
19 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Emilio Estevez is one quarter Spanish, and yet he has been nominated for multiple ALMA awards, which are supposed to go to Latino performers.  That has always bugged me.

His father, who is only half Spanish, has also been nominated for a number of ALMA awards, and has won a number of Latino awards, including Imagen and Nostros awards.

But Hillary doesn’t have a single drop of blood, surely that’s not the same?  Where does it end?  Half-Spanish means Martin’s not Hispanic enough?  Does that also exclude Biracial black people from NAACP awards?

I think the point that may be missed, is even only being a quarter or half of a minority, makes you a minority in this country, whether they like it or not. I’ve never met anyone with an ethnicity mixed in that doesn’t consider themselves that ethnicity.  One cousin is 1/4 Ecuadorian and considers herself Latina.  Same for another cousin who is half-Puerto Rican.  I have two biracial “cousins” who consider themselves black, even though they are raised by their white mother, and two true biracial cousins who also consider themselves black.  (I have a huge extended family. 🤷‍♀️)

7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I'm just curious what Hilaria/Hillary claims on the Census (for her and the kids) and other legal/federal documents. Now, that can be a big problem.

Oh, I can almost guarantee her census form states there are six Hispanics living in her household. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The headlines from this are making me laugh. I have a feeling Joy tapped into most viewers' feelings. Maybe #IDidNotMissYou will trend on Twitter later, lol. I'll never get over that disgusted look on Joy's face when McCain asked if she missed her like some creepy stalker would say to their victim.

I had a coworker who was weird like this. He had a crush on me, could get pretty mean, but he'd say he'd miss me and would want me to miss him back. I think we've all felt like Joy at some point! 

The rudest people always have the least tolerance for other people's "rudeness." People like Meghan feel entitled to say whatever they want however they want, but they don't like it when others dish it back. Meghan, if you want everyone to be super polite and sweet, YOU are the one who needs to watch it on the rudeness. Joy deserves an award for putting up with your crap as long as she has. 

And SNL is on a little break right? They'd have a field day with what happened today. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

I've seen it when he appears on CNN and wondered the same thing. It looks like an opening to the bottom floor below. Maybe to let light in to the room below? I don't see a spiral staircase, so maybe it's just for looks?

58 minutes ago, deirdra said:

It looks like a circular opening to the floor below (no stairs since there is no break in the handrail), probably to add drama and more light to the floor below.  What is bizarre about it is that it is right in front of the fireplace, where most people would put a couch and chairs so that they can sit in front of and enjoy conversation and warmth around the fire.

It was very distracting, as I kept looking behind Dr. Gupta to figure it out, and was missing a lot of what he was saying.  (I wish I had missed the part where he was giving Meghan her requisite "compliments from today's guest"!) 

Maybe there is a skylight above to let light flow to the lower floors?  It looks to be an upper floor of his home - perhaps there is a staircase elsewhere in the room, or elevator access.

I agree that it is weird that it is directly in front of a fireplace.  

Either way, I would really love to see the rest of the room and the home - it looks very interesting!  

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

But Hillary doesn’t have a single drop of blood, surely that’s not the same?  Where does it end?  Half-Spanish means Martin’s not Hispanic enough?  Does that also exclude Biracial black people from NAACP awards?

I think the point that may be missed, is even only being a quarter or half of a minority, makes you a minority in this country, whether they like it or not. I’ve never met anyone with an ethnicity mixed in that doesn’t consider themselves that ethnicity.  One cousin is 1/4 Ecuadorian and considers herself Latina.  Same for another cousin who is half-Puerto Rican.  I have two biracial “cousins” who consider themselves black, even though they are raised by their white mother, and two true biracial cousins who also consider themselves black.  (I have a huge extended family. 🤷‍♀️)

Oh, I can almost guarantee her census form states there are six Hispanics living in her household. 

Spanish people are not Hispanic.  Hispanic refers to people who have roots in the South or Central American countries which were colonized by Spain (so basically everyone but Brazil and parts of the Caribbean).  So even if Hilaria Baldwin were actually Spanish, she still wouldn't check the Hispanic box and wouldn't be considered a minority.  Her faking being Spanish is really more on par with faking being French or Italian.

The Sheen/Estevaz family isn't Hispanic either but I looked through past lists of ALMA nominees and winners and it looks like they include anyone that's part Hispanic, Spanish or Brazilian.  Probably because by casting a wider net, they can nominate more big name stars and thus get more press for their awards.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

It was very distracting, as I kept looking behind Dr. Gupta to figure it out, and was missing a lot of what he was saying.  (I wish I had missed the part where he was giving Meghan her requisite "compliments from today's guest"!) 

Maybe there is a skylight above to let light flow to the lower floors?  It looks to be an upper floor of his home - perhaps there is a staircase elsewhere in the room, or elevator access.

I agree that it is weird that it is directly in front of a fireplace.  

Either way, I would really love to see the rest of the room and the home - it looks very interesting!  

The more I was watching the segment, I realized it looks like a fake Zoom background. He as in very sharp focus, and the background was in a soft focus, which happens when one is using a Zoom background. When he moved a little, his outline was fuzzy - another clue it was fake behind him (like a green screen).

Many celebs and public people are doing this on TV now, not to reveal their true environment. Many have been using the faux background with the very large windows and empty room behind them - as though they're sitting in a loft apartment or a grand ballroom. Again, they're in very sharp focus in the frame, and the rest is very blurry. When they move, their outline is fuzzy.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Spanish people are not Hispanic.  Hispanic refers to people who have roots in the South or Central American countries which were colonized by Spain (so basically everyone but Brazil and parts of the Caribbean). 

I have a friend who was born outside Madrid. He has a heavy Spanish accent, as English is his second language. He's a handsome white guy who's very European looking. He's very easy going, but don't you dare ever call him Latino or Hispanic - as he points out every time someone does this: he's Spanish. Period. Some (rude) people we meet will tell him Spanish is the same as Latino or Hispanic - and he's quick to correct them and stand his ground.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Did Meghan ever get a lasagna from Joy?

Yeah, Joy gave a lasagna to all the ladies at the table in 2019. Before Abby left, I think it was as a Christmas gift or something.

Edited by falltime
Fix year
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, suomi said:

When it is a mental health issue.

It's unfortunate, to say the least, that race got dragged into it but that happened because she pretended to have a Spanish-speaking background. Pretended twice during a televised cooking demonstration to not recall the English word for cucumber.

Admittedly, the fallout from her imaginary heritage would be quite different if she had claimed to be Ukranian or Danish, for example. Perhaps Spanish was the easiest language to use in her charade?

For a long time she acted as if classmates who went through years of school with her were fabricating when they said "Um, she was born and raised in Boston."

Now she ignores or casually glosses over the original history she related to the public for the purpose of presenting as spicy or exotic instead of vanilla.

Like many people, my family background is meaningful to me. I thought it was sweet that she named her children Leonardo, Carmen, Romeo, Eduardo and Rafael to reflect their Mallorcan heritage. And was raising them to respect the culture of their Spanish ancestors. But... her family tree, paternal and maternal, is Anglo-Irish for many generations. That's the Rachel Dolazel aspect.

Add the unrelenting display of sexually suggestive yoga poses. She is extremely limber! Sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle with her ankles behind her head, lying upside down while getting a pedi with her cooter where her torso should be in the mani/pedi chair. I honestly never knew a cooter could be aimed in so many directions during everyday activities. That's the Kim Kardashian aspect.

Two miscarriages and five births in seven years. That's the Octomom aspect.

In one selfie her very young infant's unsupported head lolls back so far that the child nearly appears lifeless. She smiles for the camera, unconcerned. 

She claimed that she was often mistaken for a nanny while speaking Spanish to her blonde/blue-eyed kids in the park and yet... she is the one who created a certain public scenario, did she not?

Not a race issue. Likely a mental health issue. Her husband posts tirades in her defense. They appear to be a good match.

Rumor has it that Hillary chose Spanish because Alec was on record about being obsessed with a Hispanic actress. 

1 hour ago, falltime said:

Yeah, Joy gave a lasagna to all the ladies at the table in 2019. Before Abby left, I think it was as a Christmas gift or something.

Meghan complained in 2020 that Joy had never made her lasagna.  I guess she forgot. 

• Love 2

I think a lot of people mistake coworkers for friends and that's frequently not the case.  It doesn't surprise me that Meghan, who likes herself quite a bit, would think that Joy is her friend.  Joy is not.

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I have a friend who was born outside Madrid. He has a heavy Spanish accent, as English is his second language. He's a handsome white guy who's very European looking. He's very easy going, but don't you dare ever call him Latino or Hispanic - as he points out every time someone does this: he's Spanish. Period. Some (rude) people we meet will tell him Spanish is the same as Latino or Hispanic - and he's quick to correct them and stand his ground.

In the American psyche, the Spanish language is associated exclusively with people of color. Noone associates the French language or the English language exclusively with people of color.   The reason that people of color around the world speak European languages is due to colonization..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6

I'd stopped watching The View right after I was in the audience during Rachel Maddow's appearance. When MM left for maternity leave I started watching again and really enjoyed Ana's participation. It's taken exactly two days for me to turn it back off again. Behavior like today's spat isn't why I tune into television shows. I'm out.

• Love 19

Thank you, GHScorpiosRule, for being the first to point out the fact that MM called Joy’s remarks “nasty.” And, I must add, she described them as “nasty” not once but TWICE. Isn’t the term “nasty” a dog whistle in her world? Not cool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
20 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

I thought Meghan's insistence that the show take on paid maternity leave as a "cause" was strange.

Doesn't she always have a cause? Brain cancer, miscarriages. They are worthy things to talk about, but the causes always affect her. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, OnTime said:

Did Meghan ever get a lasagna from Joy?

What i wonder is if Joy sent a gift for Liberty. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't. 

43 minutes ago, TimWil said:

Thank you, GHScorpiosRule, for being the first to point out the fact that MM called Joy’s remarks “nasty.” And, I must add, she described them as “nasty” not once but TWICE. Isn’t the term “nasty” a dog whistle in her world? Not cool.

Doesn't Joy have a sweater that says Nasty Woman? I remember someone wearing one when Trump was going  around calling strong women "nasty."

She should wear it tomorrow. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 13

The fight was expected, but I also thought that we'd wait a bit before this happened but I guess not. Yesterday had a disagreement, but today was purely personal which made it super uncomfortable. Joy was exasperated, while Meghan felt hurt when Joy wasn't playing with Meghan's "teasing."

I was actually surprised that Whoopi didn't cut to commercial like she did yesterday, she actually moderated which was pretty amazing. Aside from the Georgia election, I wonder if they'll keep the topic light for Meghan's sake.

5 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

Spanish people are not Hispanic.  Hispanic refers to people who have roots in the South or Central American countries which were colonized by Spain (so basically everyone but Brazil and parts of the Caribbean).  So even if Hilaria Baldwin were actually Spanish, she still wouldn't check the Hispanic box and wouldn't be considered a minority.  Her faking being Spanish is really more on par with faking being French or Italian.

The Sheen/Estevaz family isn't Hispanic either but I looked through past lists of ALMA nominees and winners and it looks like they include anyone that's part Hispanic, Spanish or Brazilian.  Probably because by casting a wider net, they can nominate more big name stars and thus get more press for their awards.  

I always thought Hispanic are those who speak Spanish, while Latino is referred to those from South America. Even then, Latino isn't really a race.

If Hilaria spent her time taking up spaces meant for people that are Latino or Hispanic, then that would be her being a culture vulture, but her putting on a spanish accent is similar to Madonna to me. Spain and England are both white places, so it's not as bad as if she went full Dolezal and acted as a visible minority. She was always white, she just said she grew up in Spain.

It's still weird, but it's a white woman pretending she's from a white nation so it's not as bad as if she claimed she was from a visible minority group.

ALMA does seem to include everyone who is Hispanic or Latino though, since Rosalía and Enrique both won awards and they're not Latino.

• Love 2

MeAgain seems to think she is on the Meghan McCain show.  Once she hits 8 minutes of talking per episode, her mic should be shut off for the remainder of the show to give others their fair share of air time. Whoopi should have interrupted MM's interruption to allow Joy to finish speaking. Instead Whoopi just sat there. She was too lax on Day 1 where MM spoke too long in every segment, but it was her first day back.  Now we need a well-moderated show or a real time mute button or a dog's shock collar on  MM to stop the barking. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 20

MM came on to the show trying to take down Joy. 

And I think Joy was kind with all MM was going through - her Dad's illness and then death, and the grieving.

IMO Joy put up with a lot despite MM laughingly saying she loves to fight with Joy.

So proud Joy took off the gloves today.

IMO I think MM did not even watch the show and has no idea about this new format.

Although going through the opinion of each host without crosstalk is boring MM gave Joy no courtesy of allowing Joy to give her opinion in her time slot.

Now I even questioning Sunny and Sarah and their protection or fear (?) of Meghan.

Love Joy and Whoopi will not play with MM.

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Megan’s never getting that lasagna.  

ETA

i stand corrected.  But she’s not getting a second one. 

Honestly, I don't get the hype over Joy's lasagna.  I made it after they posted the video with the recipe and while it's good, it's just a basic lasagna recipe.  Layer noodles, sauce, cheese, meat, repeat.  Half an hour to prepare, half an hour to cook.  Why can't the other hosts make it themselves?  I mean, I'd get it if it was something that took a lot of time and prep or some fancy technique but it's literally one of the easiest dishes out there.  Are they just lazy or is Joy secretly baking weed or something into it when she makes it for Whoopi? (which now that I think about it, might totally be the case)

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That said, just GAG me with the tongue bath that is constantly given to Meghan, who hasn't done a thing to deserve it. Did she try to fillet him with her apparent "dislike" that "millennial" congressional staffers were able to cut the line and get the vaccine? As if it was his decision? And when he agreed with her, she brings it back to her father. Of course she does.

I hated that she had to bring up her father, trying to make the conversation about HER, instead of the guest's book.  And the context -  "When my father was diagnosed with cancer, he talked to you."  Meghan was just trying to emphasize that SHE (and only she)  had a personal connection with the esteemed guest.   It's like when any political guest comes on, they have to tell MEghan  how they revered her father. Now, a medical person has to have a connection as well.  

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, I don't get the hype over Joy's lasagna.  I made it after they posted the video with the recipe and while it's good, it's just a basic lasagna recipe

reminds me -  I made sweet & spicy meatballs one year for christmas.  Every year, I am asked to make my "special meatballs" and people rave about how great they are.  It's hilarious because I'm not much of a cook, and the secret recipe is  - a bag of frozen pre-made meatballs, a can of cranberry sauce, and a bottle of chili sauce, thrown together in a slow cooker.   I wonder if Joy feels the same way about her lasagna.  I'm sure it's good, but yeah, buy lasagna noodles, follow the recipe on the box, it's pretty standard.  I think in Joy's case, it has to do with the emotion behind it - getting lasagna from Joy means she took time out to do something for you, she is extending her friendship.  

• Love 11

I looked at Joy's recipe and her Rachel Ray video when it was first mentioned on the show and it seemed to have a rather bland amount of Italian herbs in the tomato sauce. I put much more in mine and I'm not even Italian.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

Honestly, I don't get the hype over Joy's lasagna.  I made it after they posted the video with the recipe and while it's good, it's just a basic lasagna recipe.  Layer noodles, sauce, cheese, meat, repeat.  Half an hour to prepare, half an hour to cook.  Why can't the other hosts make it themselves?  

Beats me.  My coworker from the Philippines makes a delicious lasagna.  Some of the guys at work said if they were on death row they would  request it as their last meal lol.  

55 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Does Meghan believe that there was massive voter fraud and that the election was stolen from trump?  I heard her, two days now, say that 72 % of republicans believe there was voter fraud.  (not sure where she got that number).  But I didn't hear her dispute it or agree with it.  did she ever give her "VIEW"  on this?   It just seems to me that, when asked for her opinion, she likes to tell us what  xx% of conservatives think, or what "trump's base"  thinks, or "middle America" wherever that is.   I'd like to hear her commit to a point of view, without referencing what others think. 

I would like to hear her thoughts on this.  So the Democrats were so good at cheating they  won the Presidency but lost the other important elections? 

Edited by tribeca
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, deirdra said:

I looked at Joy's recipe and her Rachel Ray video when it was first mentioned on the show and it seemed to have a rather bland amount of Italian herbs in the tomato sauce. I put much more in mine and I'm not even Italian.

Joy, herself, has said that her recipe is not all that.

I make an incredible lasagne and it has many more ingredients and spices and takes a long time to prepare. Joy's recipe is basic. What this tells us is that none of these women can cook, if they think her lasagne is so fantastic (when even Joy doesn't think it is!).

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

A producer needs to sit down with Meg and remind her that with the current format they cannot have a free flowing conversation knock down brawl.  Whoopi asks a question, you answer, then you shut up and give someone else a chance to speak.  Yeah, who am I kidding?  Never gonna happen.  She's so immature she cannot control her emotions and must butt into someone else's time to refute what they are saying, not waiting for her turn.  Get a mute button for her mic!

• LOL 2
  • Love 20

If we are talking lasagna I must mention mine.  I do roll ups instead of layers.  I spread the cheese mixture on each lasagna noodle then roll it up.  It is so much easier to serve and eat.

7 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

It just seems to me that, when asked for her opinion, she likes to tell us what  xx% of conservatives think, or what "trump's base"  thinks, or "middle America" wherever that is.   I'd like to hear her commit to a point of view, without referencing what others think. 

She can't say she believes that stuff.  At least not publicly.  Meghan wants to sit at the cool kids table and she knows if she aligns herself with that faction of her tribe she won't ever get that chance.  Which she is never going to get that chance anyways.  Someone like Ana gets invited to things like Don Lemon's wedding because people like Ana.  People don't like Meghan.  

15 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Sorry MM, this isn’t fascinating politics...this is actually a fight to retain democracy against most of your tribe.  And it’s scary, not interesting. 

For someone like Meghan she can look at politics as a game because the policies that are always fought over will not affect her at all.  And note to Meghan: If you are serious about caring about maternity leave you need to start voting for people that will help make that happen.  

• Love 18