Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Shifty Wigs

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, MaggieG said:

I was on Karen's side with this. If I say "I'm not drinking" then I'm not drinking and I don't need to explain why. Of course Karen had to make it worse by telling her whole ulcer story. She should have just said that she was tired and didn't feel like having a drink. It didn't need to become a thing. Also, what did she mean with the whole "that's the couch" comment? I was super confused.

Didn't Ashley get angry at Candiass last season for policing HER drinking, when she was trying to get pregnant?

I also remember Candiass having a wig line.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, lasu said:

On topic: while going to look at giant mansions on tv while owing nearly $100K to the IRS is truly terrible optics, it might actually not be terrible financially.  Not a giant mansion of course, but aren't they renting right now?  As a renter myself, it is just throwing away money. 

I disagree.  If you purchase a house you've got to have money stashed away to pay for when things break down.  If your house is a money pit, then you can wind up throwing your money away too.  I've seen too many people lose homes because they couldn't pay the taxes.  At least with a rental you can leave without having to go through the anxiety of selling your home.   (and now you have to worry about folks who use their homes as Airbnb's)

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, LaurelleJ said:

Absolutely. Hopefully they waited until now, because they could really get a good deal in the middle of the pandemic with price and rates. I would imagine that with her Bravo check and his basketball check, they need a bigger tax shelter if they are just renting. I also agree that it seems they suffered from trusting the wrong person versus being financially irresponsible and blowing the money.

Maybe they were taken and lost ALL their money (diversify, people!).  Still doesn’t make up for Robyn’s tax lien she is paying off as of last year.  That is all on her = financially irresponsible.  She also was shown as incompetent (over budget, completed way behind schedule) with her flip house business that went nowhere.  Girl is not smart with money (or real estate it seems). Now they have Bravo money and bball money and what do they do?  Go looking at million $$ properties.  I have no issue with them wanting to purchase a home, but wouldn’t (shouldn’t) they be a little more conservative and cautious?   

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I disagree.  If you purchase a house you've got to have money stashed away to pay for when things break down.  If your house is a money pit, then you can wind up throwing your money away too.  I've seen too many people lose homes because they couldn't pay the taxes.  At least with a rental you can leave without having to go through the anxiety of selling your home.   (and now you have to worry about folks who use their homes as Airbnb's)

I don't think either of us are wrong.  One of the reasons I'm a renter is I appreciate the fact that if my AC blows, it's someone else's financial problem to get fixed fast, and in the past, when I needed something cheaper due to life happening, I was easily able to make that happen.  And of course, if you buy a house you actually can't afford (such as the house Juan and Robyn were looking at, I'm not arguing THAT house would be a financially sound choice!), it doesn't make sense but that would be true whether or not you owe money to the IRS.  My point is more that it can be a financially smart decision to invest some of their money (which a house they can afford, including repairs and taxes, would be) while still paying down a different debt.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, lasu said:

On topic: while going to look at giant mansions on tv while owing nearly $100K to the IRS is truly terrible optics, it might actually not be terrible financially.  Not a giant mansion of course, but aren't they renting right now?  As a renter myself, it is just throwing away money.  No matter how much they owe the IRS, they still have a housing cost.  So, if their interest rate with the IRS is low (and it likely is and stopped accruing once she entered into a payment plan), it could be very smart to still purchase a home while paying off that debt.  It would actually be fairly dumb to make paying off the IRS debt their first priority, provided they never miss a payment on their payment plan.  And, I certainly could be misremembering, but didn't Juan and Robyn lose their money because it was stolen from them?  That it happened more because they put their trust in the wrong person, versus just blowing it all?

Yes, they lost all of Juan's NBA money when a family friend who was serving as their financial advisor embezzled it.

I don't think the optics are as bad as people think on the IRS repayment. My guess is that Robyn simply agreed to sign over in full 3-4 RHOP checks (hence the installment plan). If she was getting paid $20k per episode, she'd have the IRS debt paid off in a couple of months. They are actually living a pretty modest middle-class lifestyle. They are renting a small townhouse, I don't see them in super fancy cars. Unless they are paying for some exclusive private school, they can probably live off of just Juan's income fine for a couple of months. As for the $2M house, I'd go with something in a slightly lower range, but I know that DMV is expensive, especially the rim suburbs, so a reasonable house price for a non-flossing middle class family is probably still somewhere north of $1M-$1.5M depending on the area. 

IRS debt never stops accruing interest. They are worse than credit card companies. You pay them off first because otherwise your debt never goes away.

Edited by Rlb8031
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Maybe they were taken and lost ALL their money (diversify, people!).  Still doesn’t make up for Robyn’s tax lien she is paying off as of last year.  That is all on her = financially irresponsible.  She also was shown as incompetent (over budget, completed way behind schedule) with her flip house business that went nowhere.  Girl is not smart with money (or real estate it seems). Now they have Bravo money and bball money and what do they do?  Go looking at million $$ properties.  I have no issue with them wanting to purchase a home, but wouldn’t (shouldn’t) they be a little more conservative and cautious?   

What you say makes sense. I tried to at least give Robyn the benefit of the doubt on this particular situation. Like I know that her house flip was her first, and you are bound to make a lot of learning mistakes on your first one. Maybe she decided it wasn't the business for her, hence the hats. With the taxes, maybe either she decided to try to save money by doing it herself (hehe) or she is not trusting of people still and didn't want to share the details with anyone. This is Juan's 4th year as a coach, this was filmed last year in his 3rd year, so my hope is that they have gotten things together by now. Hopefully the house is in a good school district as their boys are still pretty young. 

It's clear that this cast equates status with the size/price of a house. It's funny to live in a house that's so large that there are rooms that you do not enter in weeks/months, and you are paying to heat and cool them. 

5 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

Yes, they lost all of Juan's NBA money when a family friend who was serving as their financial advisor embezzled it.

I don't think the optics are as bad as people think on the IRS repayment. My guess is that Robyn simply agreed to sign over in full 3-4 RHOP checks (hence the installment plan). If she was getting paid $20k per episode, she'd have the IRS debt paid off in a couple of months. They are actually living a pretty modest middle-class lifestyle. They are renting a small townhouse, I don't see them in super fancy cars. Unless they are paying for some exclusive private school, they can probably live off of just Juan's income fine for a couple of months. As for the $2M house, I'd go with something in a slightly lower range, but I know that DMV is expensive, especially the rim suburbs, so a reasonable house price for a non-flossing middle class family is probably still somewhere north of $1M-$1.5M depending on the area. 

You get so much more for your money by staying out of Potomac, and Montgomery County too for that matter. The money will go much further in northern VA, Anne Arundel County, and PG county. 

• Love 2

Don't know if anyone caught Monique on WWHL after, but she was adamant that there was no attempt at a set-up confrontation with her and Candiace. She said (and Andy confirmed) that production was aware that she was not willing/able to be in the same location as Candiace. It sounded like the plan was originally for a heart-to-heart with Monique and Karen, followed by a separate heart-to-heart with Candiace and Karen. The timing of everything was off and it looks like the editors may have used that to show it in the shadiest possible light, but Monique absolutely made it clear that at least on her part there was never any intent to have a run-in with Candiace at the wig show.

I don't necessarily think Monique wanted to be in the same space with Candiace.  I do think Karen wanted to engineer something to get some screen time and an on-screen confrontation/mediation brokered by Karen would get screen time.  It was also clear Karen was very nervous Candiace would actually show up and was very relieved when the PR lady came through the door instead of Candiace.  Here's what I think happened:

Karen invited both Monique and Candiace early to the wig shit party to get them together to talk it out.  Monique/production caught wind of the fact Candiace was on the way.  Monique made it clear to production she didn't want to be anywhere around that bitch.  Production called Candiace and told her to come a few minutes later than what she was originally told to come.  Nobody told Karen about the change in plans which is why she was so nervous and hustling Monique out the door.  Monique is not going to throw Karen under the bus because she has no one else besides Karen and Ashley to film with.

51 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Most house flippers are under water because HGTV makes it look so easy and it's not.  This doesn't mean Robyn is financially irresponsible; most people who get into house flipping have no idea about everything that goes into it.  It's not like Flip or Flop.

As far as the million dollar properties, that's par for the course in the DC area, especially depending on which part of the area you're in.  Michael's condo might look cramped but I guarantee it's at least a million dollars because it's in Arlington.  The townhouse Candiace lived in was over half a million.  Robyn's townhouse that she's renting is at least $400K and that's not even close to the DC area.  Even if Robyn & Juan searched for homes in the outskirts of the DC area, they are looking at paying at least $500K for a (small and modest) single family home. 

Robyn & Juan might not need to look at any 2 million dollar homes but any SF house they get in that area is going to be at least around $400K+.

19 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

People are acting like Robyn is balling out of control and she's not and she never has on this show.  Even on the first season, they had a nice house in Silver Spring not Potomac, it wasn't a mansion and they weren't balling.  Robyn was driving a Ford, I think, on the first season. Robyn isn't the one wearing Gucci or Chanel hats, belts or purses.

15 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

You get so much more for your money by staying out of Potomac, and Montgomery County too for that matter. The money will go much further in northern VA, Anne Arundel County, and PG county. 

The whole entire area is high and the closer you are to DC the higher (Northern Virginia is high as hell).  Because Juan is working in the Baltimore area, I doubt they are looking for anything closer to DC (plus Juan & Robyn are from the Baltimore area).  Even so, the housing prices are high.  Again, they don't need to be looking at 2 million dollar homes but any house they get will be between $500K -million.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, politichick said:

Regarding Karen and the Jack and Jill comments above, didn't she go to college but dropped out after the whole rape trauma? Agree she should write a book about her family and others like hers who took over farms their ancestors once worked on. 

What happened?

8 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I'm sure Ray was envisioning that, too!

Poor Ray always looks startled and nervous.

3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

There are pros and cons to renting, and buying, but overall, if you are not in over your head and smart with your purchase, you can pay your mortgage and save a bit for the upkeep.  It is wayyy smarter to buy.  Renting is throwing away money - you are paying someone else's mortgage.  When you buy, that money you pay to the bank eventually comes back to you.

I rented for years in the city and once I calculated the hundreds of thousands of dollars I had paid to my landlord, it made me ill.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, drivethroo said:

The whole entire area is high and the closer you are to DC the higher (Northern Virginia is high as hell).  Because Juan is working in the Baltimore area, I doubt they are looking for anything closer to DC (plus Juan & Robyn are from the Baltimore area).  Even so, the housing prices are high.  Again, they don't need to be looking at 2 million dollar homes but any house they get will be between $500K -million.

For sure the whole area is high. When I lived in Bethesda, a one bedroom condo was ~250K. I just meant based on the house, a one million dollar house looks different in Potomac vs Bethesda vs Hanover. 

• Love 3

My advice about wigs? Leave them at the store. All of these women look ridiculous. I'm sorry, but none of their wigs look realistic and they're almost always too heavy for their heads. Candiace has GORGEOUS shoulder length hair (she posted it on sm last week) yet she insists on going on tv looking crazy. Same with Gizelle. 

Whatever happened to extensions/sew-ins? At least those look halfway believable.

Anyhoo, I like Karen but she lost me this week. All she had to do was tell the truth and she wouldn't have come off looking like an unhinged loser. 

Wendy's mother rivals Dorothy for me. Meaning I don't want to see her again. She sucks.

I need Robyn not to make fun of Karen. Girl, your AliExpress embezzled hat shoot was in an alley. You have no room to talk.

Ashley is messy and annoying but I can deal with her. I don't want to see Michael again. He sucks.

I would say I don't want to see Jamal again but, well, he's already granted my wish LOL.

Edited by ridethemaverick
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Ashley and Michael are giving off a very dark vibe this season, like there is some shit going on behind closed doors that is just barley contained. He looks extra skeevy in every screen and his base line skeevy is already pretty high. I’m thinking some sort of drug use but that’s just a guess.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, FozzyBear said:

Ashley and Michael are giving off a very dark vibe this season, like there is some shit going on behind closed doors that is just barley contained. He looks extra skeevy in every screen and his base line skeevy is already pretty high. I’m thinking some sort of drug use but that’s just a guess.

You're getting unchecked predator vibes. He thinks he's untouchable now. It's going to get worse next week as he screams at Chris to "check" his wife. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

There are pros and cons to renting, and buying, but overall, if you are not in over your head and smart with your purchase, you can pay your mortgage and save a bit for the upkeep.  It is wayyy smarter to buy.  Renting is throwing away money - you are paying someone else's mortgage.  When you buy, that money you pay to the bank eventually comes back to you.

I rented for years in the city and once I calculated the hundreds of thousands of dollars I had paid to my landlord, it made me ill.

Here's my thing.  If you're young and you want to buy, fine.  But if you buy, you're stuck in the neighborhood and today things change quickly.  My mom sold her house in the early 00's and she got a very, very good price for it.  Had she waited the house would have been worth a lot less.  Why?  Because the block changed.  People died, one of the houses was taken over by the state because the heir couldn't pay the taxes.  Another person rented out their grandmother's house and those people wrecked it.  A drug dealer moved into one house and stayed there for a few years until the Feds caught up with him; and that was in Eastern Virginia.

For me I've never had to pay for a refrigerator or oven, I've never had to pay to have my bathroom drain changed and because of that I went to the Caribbean every winter, for about ten years.  So there are pros and cons, depending on where you are in life. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, FozzyBear said:

Agree. Shmuckle is sweaty, shaky, flushed and irritable. Maybe he found his silver toot straw from the 80's.. 

Ashley was passive agressivly reveling in her creepy old man getting scolded by her uncle. Not that Shmuckle gives one single unwanted ass grab about what her family thinks. 

Karen's wig launch was sad. I'm not sure inviting a few friends to a tiny salon to try on your merchandise even counts as a launch. It's more like a sputter that died out too soon to get off the ground.

I think Gizelle feels some kind of warped safety net with Jamal. Not in the cozy loving way, but in the way that she already knows that he's not going to show up, or be faithful, or put her and the girls first. She is hardened and prepared for him to screw up. Then she can make a big deal of it when he comes through occasionally. With a new guy she's getting to know, she thinks he will show up and then is bitterly disappointed if he doesn't. Since that's happened with the last few, Jamal and his predictable bad behavior might feel less risky right now.

Mama Wendy loves to take that credit and get them kudooz!

I'm over the Monique and candyass fight situation. Yes, Monique was wrong. Yes, candyass is a private school girl who thought big talk never went anywhere. I'm old and back in my young going out to the bars and clubs days, a few knockdown dragouts were expected on a Friday night. The bouncers might throw you out, but no one was calling the cops or filing assault charges. I'm not nostalgic for that time and I don't think it's right to put your hands on other people, but I will say that growing up in a less protected world taught me that I shouldn't talk s*** I can't back up.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, drivethroo said:

I don't necessarily think Monique wanted to be in the same space with Candiace.  I do think Karen wanted to engineer something to get some screen time and an on-screen confrontation/mediation brokered by Karen would get screen time.  It was also clear Karen was very nervous Candiace would actually show up and was very relieved when the PR lady came through the door instead of Candiace.  Here's what I think happened:

Karen invited both Monique and Candiace early to the wig shit party to get them together to talk it out.  Monique/production caught wind of the fact Candiace was on the way.  Monique made it clear to production she didn't want to be anywhere around that bitch.  Production called Candiace and told her to come a few minutes later than what she was originally told to come.  Nobody told Karen about the change in plans which is why she was so nervous and hustling Monique out the door.  Monique is not going to throw Karen under the bus because she has no one else besides Karen and Ashley to film with.

Most house flippers are under water because HGTV makes it look so easy and it's not.  This doesn't mean Robyn is financially irresponsible; most people who get into house flipping have no idea about everything that goes into it.  It's not like Flip or Flop.

As far as the million dollar properties, that's par for the course in the DC area, especially depending on which part of the area you're in.  Michael's condo might look cramped but I guarantee it's at least a million dollars because it's in Arlington.  The townhouse Candiace lived in was over half a million.  Robyn's townhouse that she's renting is at least $400K and that's not even close to the DC area.  Even if Robyn & Juan searched for homes in the outskirts of the DC area, they are looking at paying at least $500K for a (small and modest) single family home. 

Robyn & Juan might not need to look at any 2 million dollar homes but any SF house they get in that area is going to be at least around $400K+.

People are acting like Robyn is balling out of control and she's not and she never has on this show.  Even on the first season, they had a nice house in Silver Spring not Potomac, it wasn't a mansion and they weren't balling.  Robyn was driving a Ford, I think, on the first season. Robyn isn't the one wearing Gucci or Chanel hats, belts or purses.

6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

What happened?

Poor Ray always looks startled and nervous.

Does anyone know if the DMV area house prices have been affected by the pandemic? I know that many high priced areas like Manhattan and San Francisco have seen their inventory go up and their prices go down for the first time in decades. Juan and Robyn might be able to take advantage of the situation (providing that they have good credit...which seems unlikely). 

59 minutes ago, charming said:

You're getting unchecked predator vibes. He thinks he's untouchable now. It's going to get worse next week as he screams at Chris to "check" his wife. 

36 minutes ago, J80134 said:

Agree. Shmuckle is sweaty, shaky, flushed and irritable. Maybe he found his silver toot straw from the 80's.. 

Ashley was passive agressivly reveling in her creepy old man getting scolded by her uncle. Not that Shmuckle gives one single unwanted ass grab about what her family thinks. 

Karen's wig launch was sad. I'm not sure inviting a few friends to a tiny salon to try on your merchandise even counts as a launch. It's more like a sputter that died out too soon to get off the ground.

I think Gizelle feels some kind of warped safety net with Jamal. Not in the cozy loving way, but in the way that she already knows that he's not going to show up, or be faithful, or put her and the girls first. She is hardened and prepared for him to screw up. Then she can make a big deal of it when he comes through occasionally. With a new guy she's getting to know, she thinks he will show up and then is bitterly disappointed if he doesn't. Since that's happened with the last few, Jamal and his predictable bad behavior might feel less risky right now.

Mama Wendy loves to take that credit and get them kudooz!

I'm over the Monique and candyass fight situation. Yes, Monique was wrong. Yes, candyass is a private school girl who thought big talk never went anywhere. I'm old and back in my young going out to the bars and clubs days, a few knockdown dragouts were expected on a Friday night. The bouncers might throw you out, but no one was calling the cops or filing assault charges. I'm not nostalgic for that time and I don't think it's right to put your hands on other people, but I will say that growing up in a less protected world taught me that I shouldn't talk s*** I can't back up.

I agree with all of you...I think Michael is a predator and Ashley knows it.

I think Ashley is a little too infatuated with the approval of older men since her own biological father wanted nothing to do with her and her mother always picked worthless men over her.

It is stupid that a grown ass woman would have her broke ass family come and lecture Michael about his cheating ways. Do they also come over when he grabs a male crew member's ass?

I just hope her sweet baby (and the one on the way) is safe.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Here's my thing.  If you're young and you want to buy, fine.  But if you buy, you're stuck in the neighborhood and today things change quickly.  My mom sold her house in the early 00's and she got a very, very good price for it.  Had she waited the house would have been worth a lot less.  Why?  Because the block changed.  People died, one of the houses was taken over by the state because the heir couldn't pay the taxes.  Another person rented out their grandmother's house and those people wrecked it.  A drug dealer moved into one house and stayed there for a few years until the Feds caught up with him; and that was in Eastern Virginia.

For me I've never had to pay for a refrigerator or oven, I've never had to pay to have my bathroom drain changed and because of that I went to the Caribbean every winter, for about ten years.  So there are pros and cons, depending on where you are in life. 

I lived in a house purchased in the 80s near the site of the new national harbor (where Candiace lived) and lived there for 26 years. I watched the neighborhood change. Property values went way up because the harbor was built. In 2013 my parents moved to a neighborhood we closely researched and had to decide what to do with the house that was paid for. For all the reasons listed above, we decided not to rent the house. We didn't want to get a call at 2am because a drain clogged, the pipe burst, or the refrigerator stopped working. 

When I was in grad school, I lived in three separate apartments. In the 6 years I changed apartments 3 times, 3 years in a row, finally loving the last one. When you purchase, you are definitely stuck in the neighborhood that you chose, because it's so much easier to sign a one year lease and then move when it's up, and I bounced from apartment to apartment like it was nothing. I was young, it was ok, even though the rent increases were a pain, and it made me so mad that I had to pay a parking fee to park at my own apartment. I could always call the management company when the dryer stopped working. You are more likely to stay unhappy in your home just because the process of getting a new one is a pain. 

My parents have owned houses all my life, and they were established in their career in the area with two kids, so it made sense for them to buy, for the added tax shelter. That meant growing up, when something broke, we had to fix it or pay to have it fixed, so I became very handy as a kid. Even now in my 30s, during COVID my toilet started leaking out of nowhere. Instead of calling a plumber, I was able to fix it myself. Also, we were able to make modifications to our house to fit our lifestyle, like adding extra garages, decks, and garden beds, which is not possible in a rental. 

Buying is a great investment for people established in the area, so long as you really do your research on the neighborhood (people/schools/planned construction, etc.). Renting affords more peace of minds and flexibility. My personal preference is to own, but I know for myself when is the right time.

I notice that a lot of the housewives rent, and they change houses a lot. 

16 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Does anyone know if the DMV area house prices have been affected by the pandemic? I know that many high priced areas like Manhattan and San Francisco have seen their inventory go up and their prices go down for the first time in decades. Juan and Robyn might be able to take advantage of the situation (providing that they have good credit...which seems unlikely). 

Based on Zillow, the value of my properties has increased, but I believe prices are dropping. The interest rate is also pretty low. Three houses in my parents neighborhood have sold in the last 4 months, so something good is happening. Robyn and Juan should ask Candiace, she purchased during this time. 

Edited by LaurelleJ
  • Love 3
On 11/30/2020 at 7:56 AM, amarante said:

And can I add that the wig line opening was just sad. Clearly Dr. Hair was just cutting (no pun intended) Karen in on a percentage of wigs sold that he had already designed and was manufacturing. But to call the showing of a few wigs that the guy already had in stock in his small non-posh salon was rather sad. Except for Karen wearing wigs, what expertise does she have in terms of the business - sourcing wigs and distributing them in any kind of mass quantities that would make it a profitable business. 

This is the RPGshow model.  They get famous and celebrity hair stylists to design wigs.  

I've never purchased an RPGshow wig, but they have stylists like AnthonyCuts and some other people.  So what you're saying makes more sense.  Dr. Hair (Is Wendy threatened that there is another doctor around?), in RPG world would have designed the wigs and I guess Karen would promote them.  No shame, but if the man designed the wigs, its not really Karen's wig line, is it.  The only problem I would have with her saying otherwise is that it takes credit for someone else's work.  

So of course, I went to the site and yeah, its just like that.  Its the Karen Huger collection, but designed and created by the hair doctor.  

If anyone wants that La'Dame look (each wig is a different La'Dame personality) be prepared to pay for it.  The wig Karen is wearing is like $700+ for a 20 inch, and the least expensive is $439.  

I kinda wonder if the white lady walking in as Monique walked out was from RPGshow.  

• Useful 3
52 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I agree with all of you...I think Michael is a predator and Ashley knows it.

I think Ashley is a little too infatuated with the approval of older men since her own biological father wanted nothing to do with her and her mother always picked worthless men over her.

It is stupid that a grown ass woman would have her broke ass family come and lecture Michael about his cheating ways. Do they also come over when he grabs a male crew member's ass?

I just hope her sweet baby (and the one on the way) is safe.

I live in Montgomery County and houses have been selling like wildfire.  Prices don't need to go down. There was a time realtors wouldn't show houses under a certain price point which I think was 200k, but, that's over. The prices in my neighborhood have increased, and, I bought a condo, but, I  haven't put my house on the market yet so I don't have personal experience with the pricing on it. Housing here is always at a premium and a lot of people work for the government, so, their income  hasn't really been affected by the pandemic.  I think a lot of it has to do with the incredibly low interest rates on mortgages, though.

Edited by Axie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, J80134 said:

I'm over the Monique and candyass fight situation. Yes, Monique was wrong. Yes, Candyass is a private school girl who thought big talk never went anywhere. I'm old and back in my young going out to the bars and clubs days, a few knockdown dragouts were expected on a Friday night. The bouncers might throw you out, but no one was calling the cops or filing assault charges. I'm not nostalgic for that time and I don't think it's right to put your hands on other people, but I will say that growing up in a less protected world taught me that I shouldn't talk shit I can't back up.

THIS and more this!!  SO fucking of the whining and the Being Mary Jane post-its.  

Looks like Monique isn't going anywhere so the green eyed coven need to suck it up and keep filming with the woman.

Ashley, youse a messy bitch and deflector, ain'tcha?  Why'd you have to open you mouth at Karen's event, wasn't what you did at lunch with Monique enough?  And the present to Karen was insensitive and not funny at all.

I'm gonna assume that Bravo is paying for Robyn and Juan's house, otherwise they looked like James and Florida Evans walking in the Banks house in Bel Air...y'all know damned well you can't afford that house!

As a 56 year old Scorpio with a still active sex life, I liked seeing Karen and Ray getting it on....could have done without the yoo-hooing though.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I'm sure Ray was envisioning that, too!

I like that Karen is willing to laugh at herself and take on Gizelle, but she loses so many cool points lying about stupid shit or flipping out for no reason. I wish she thought better on her feet and wasn't rattled by Ashley so easily.

I can see Karen going along with that plan. She loves being seen as a mentor; it's part of her whole Grand Dame thing. To me, this makes more sense than Karen wanting to set Candiace and Monique up for a confrontation. 

Same here. They both get loud and vulgar when their backs are against the wall.

Oh, and how stupid was Ashley's antacid gift? Karen was being generally dishonest, but she's right in that people who don't want to drink should be left alone about it. Ashley is an adult, not the teenage antagonist in a health class video.

I'd feel so upset and betrayed if I were Candace and Karen just sprung someone on me who had physically attacked me?  And without anyone else there, but Karen, who is always defending Monique and Monique, who attacked me?  Its just so icky and feels like such an intrusive set up no matter what Karen's intentions that I'm glad it didn't happen. 

How could Candace even feel comfortable speaking candidly to Monique when Monique responds with violence and has zero remorse for doing so?  Candace just got done telling them about how high her anxiety level is about the entire situation, so Karen's solution was to invite her tormentor there?  So, it would just be silent and scared Candace being spoken at by Monique and Karen, with the two of them tag teaming her into agreeing that "Monique was right" and Candace was wrong and Candace not saying anything for fear of being accused of "provoking"  Monique into a violent response.  Its gross to me.  It reminds me of those "well meaning" enabling relatives of abusive men who will "invite" the abusive husband over when they are watching the kids because "you two need to work it out!"  Its just an instinctual breach of trust and a violation to me.  

Ashley always does shit like that with a fake smile pasted on her face.  And if you tell her to fuck off, then its "well, I was just joking, you can't take a joke Karen?"  Meanwhile, if anyone even so much as looks sideways at Ashley she is deeply offended and the situation was totally different.  

I don't drink and its a personal choice and I don't care if anyone else drinks.  If you need me to drink that bad, we have no business being friends.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

I'd feel so upset and betrayed if I were Candace and Karen just sprung someone on me who had physically attacked me?  And without anyone else there, but Karen, who is always defending Monique and Monique, who attacked me?  Its just so icky and feels like such an intrusive set up no matter what Karen's intentions that I'm glad it didn't happen. 

How could Candace even feel comfortable speaking candidly to Monique when Monique responds with violence and has zero remorse for doing so?  Candace just got done telling them about how high her anxiety level is about the entire situation, so Karen's solution was to invite her tormentor there?  So, it would just be silent and scared Candace being spoken at by Monique and Karen, with the two of them tag teaming her into agreeing that "Monique was right" and Candace was wrong and Candace not saying anything for fear of being accused of "provoking"  Monique into a violent response.  Its gross to me.  It reminds me of those "well meaning" enabling relatives of abusive men who will "invite" the abusive husband over when they are watching the kids because "you two need to work it out!"  Its just an instinctual breach of trust and a violation to me.  

Ashley always does shit like that with a fake smile pasted on her face.  And if you tell her to fuck off, then its "well, I was just joking, you can't take a joke Karen?"  Meanwhile, if anyone even so much as looks sideways at Ashley she is deeply offended and the situation was totally different.  

I don't drink and its a personal choice and I don't care if anyone else drinks.  If you need me to drink that bad, we have no business being friends.  

This is so true and it looks like next week her gross husband might say some things about Juan, even though Robyn has been totally respectful of Ashley's issues this season.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

ToTHIS and more this!!  SO fucking of the whining and the Being Mary Jane post-its.  

Looks like Monique isn't going anywhere so the green eyed coven need to suck it up and keep filming with the woman.

Ashley, youse a messy bitch and deflector, ain'tcha?  Why'd you have to open you mouth at Karen's event, wasn't what you did at lunch with Monique enough?  And the present to Karen was insensitive and not funny at all.

I'm gonna assume that Bravo is paying for Robyn and Juan's house, otherwise they looked like James and Florida Evans walking in the Banks house in Bel Air...y'all know damned well you can't afford that house!

As a 56 year old Scorpio with a still active sex life, I liked seeing Karen and Ray getting it on....could have done without the yoo-hooing though.

Ashley is super messy and got lucky that Candyass started the whole fight. The mess has been a slight distraction from Michael and his gross behavior. Ashley has some balls (maybe that’s why Michael has kept her) to go after Karen for the ulcer fib when she has to try and dress up her marriage to a cheating predator. 
I’m surprised the cast didn’t turn on her. Several of them believed the camera man. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, RealReality said:

This is the RPGshow model.  They get famous and celebrity hair stylists to design wigs.  

I've never purchased an RPGshow wig, but they have stylists like AnthonyCuts and some other people.  So what you're saying makes more sense.  Dr. Hair (Is Wendy threatened that there is another doctor around?), in RPG world would have designed the wigs and I guess Karen would promote them.  No shame, but if the man designed the wigs, its not really Karen's wig line, is it.  The only problem I would have with her saying otherwise is that it takes credit for someone else's work.  

So of course, I went to the site and yeah, its just like that.  Its the Karen Huger collection, but designed and created by the hair doctor.  

If anyone wants that La'Dame look (each wig is a different La'Dame personality) be prepared to pay for it.  The wig Karen is wearing is like $700+ for a 20 inch, and the least expensive is $439.  

I kinda wonder if the white lady walking in as Monique walked out was from RPGshow.  

I knew something was up when Dr. Hair walked in to Karen's house with wigs on heads, not even in the packaging, like this was some sort of last minute Hail Mary pass for yet another business/story line about how busy the mogul Karen is these days.  

$700+, are they made of human hair?  Most of the Orthodox women around here spend twice that at least and they are human hair, slightly less for a halo like wig.  I know Porsha of Atl has wig line but never looked at the pricing, is $700 a competitive price?

• Love 2

Robyn is very messy without Gizelle on her own haha. Ashley always gets the drama rolling lol. I loved the blonde wig on her,very pretty. Jamal will always disappoint Gizelle and his girls smh. When I saw Monique's hairstyle at Karen's event I was thinking it might/needed to get snatched like Margaret's pony in RHONJ haha.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

My advice about wigs? Leave them at the store. All of these women look ridiculous. I'm sorry, but none of their wigs look realistic and they're almost always too heavy for their heads. Candiace has GORGEOUS shoulder length hair (she posted it on sm last week) yet she insists on going on tv looking crazy. Same with Gizelle. 

Whatever happened to extensions/sew-ins? At least those look halfway believable.

I think like cosmetic surgery, you tend to notice the bad.  But as I've learned more about wigs, I've learned I never know when I'm seeing a good one, just like I never know when I'm seeing good cosmetic surgery.  Extensions are the same thing - look at Brandi over on OC.  Her extensions have always looked like trash.  It's not good if you know it's there.

11 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Here's my thing.  If you're young and you want to buy, fine.  But if you buy, you're stuck in the neighborhood and today things change quickly.  My mom sold her house in the early 00's and she got a very, very good price for it.  Had she waited the house would have been worth a lot less.  Why?  Because the block changed.  People died, one of the houses was taken over by the state because the heir couldn't pay the taxes.  Another person rented out their grandmother's house and those people wrecked it.  A drug dealer moved into one house and stayed there for a few years until the Feds caught up with him; and that was in Eastern Virginia

Whew, I wish I lived in this area. There is nothing in my area that is going down in price.  Well, at the moment, you might be seeing a slight dip.  So if you just bought your house here six months ago it might be worth a smidge less than you paid for it, but it's going to bounce back.  I was just talking to a friend who bought his house a zip code over for me 5 years ago for $150K, which makes me want to cry.  His house is valued at over $250K, and you couldn't get a 400sf studio for $150K anymore.  My zip code the AVERAGE home sale is $675K.  It's one of the biggest reasons I'm still renting - I can't afford to buy where I want to live.  And, as mentioned, I live way below means with no surprise bills - even my utilities are all included so even my electric bill isn't ever a surprise to me.  It's been lovely and worry free, but now I'm aggressively saving to buy, because I'm single with no kids, so it's starting to scare me I have virtually no accumulated wealth.  But as a lifelong renter, I surely understand there are pros to that as well.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Y'know, I forgot about Gizzard....

A hearty FUCK YOU! to Rev. Leon Lonnie Love Jamal for once again flaking out on his daughters.

Dude, this picture session was planned for a while...I  don't believe for a nanosecond that he was being held up by plane issues.  You know he was 'laying on the hands' on some basic trick wherever he was.  Just be honest and say you ain't about the family pictures.  And Gizzard, your daughters should come first in this situation....he cain't be knocking the stuffing outta your ass THAT well, kick him to the curb once and for all!

☹(Stomps off, mad at myself for EVER defending Gizzard)

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, lasu said:

I think like cosmetic surgery, you tend to notice the bad.  But as I've learned more about wigs, I've learned I never know when I'm seeing a good one, just like I never know when I'm seeing good cosmetic surgery.  Extensions are the same thing - look at Brandi over on OC.  Her extensions have always looked like trash.  It's not good if you know it's there.

That is theoretically true about wigs (and plastic surgery) but very blatant wigs and extensions don't seem to be the aesthetic these women are aiming for. I am not faulting the flamboyant styles but they are completely unrealistic - and I say this as someone who has waist length hair that is so thick that hairdressers have always commented about it and it is an actual problem in terms of styling it. But it doesn't resemble any of the hair on this show.

And I am not saying the wigs and extensions on this show are BAD - just that they are unrealistically opulent.

Now Brandi's hair is both obvious and ugly as it isn't particularly styled but is just choppy and unrealistically long and thick. 

• Love 1
On 12/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, Juliegirlj said:

Didn’t Candace and her sister have a wig line in her first season? 

she still has the line its a business with her sister and mom here is the website .. and see how Candace didn't throw a fit about it? she knows she has her own line and didn't attack Karin like how dare you do something I am doing.. You know dollars to donuts if it was Karen who had the line first she would be all over Candace how dare you ride my coattails

https://primahaircollection.com/shop/

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Rev. Leon Lonnie Love Jamal

9c87707b29e5dd8039a146f8dc207f6cb81aab3a

Thank you for this! David Allen Grier has always cracked me up.  Jamal is slime, but as a lot of people on here said, at least his sliminess is a known quantity.  It makes me sad for Gizelle that this guy is preferable to being alone.  I don't even get the "storyline" excuse; Gizelle could have a lot of fun making her search for Mr. Right a storyline (are people still doing speed dating? probably not in these Covid times) without exposing her daughters to anything strange or harmful.

7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

My guess is that it’s a play on her supposedly being so good at “reading people”.

She should have talked about her folded tissues instead.  Somehow, every time Candiace "reads" someone, she ends up in tears, which is a sign that maybe she's doing it wrong.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, J80134 said:

The problem with this is Candiace didn't say anything to warrant Monique keeping her head ringing.  Monique was already flipping Candiace's hair by the time Candiace said "You wanna drag me?"

Monique wanted to fight Candiace and it really didn't matter what Candiace said.  In fact, it is practically 2021 and if Monique could beat Candiace's ass again, she would.  Candiace knows it which is why she wants to be kept away from Monique.  It is what it is.

15 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

My parents have owned houses all my life, and they were established in their career in the area with two kids, so it made sense for them to buy, for the added tax shelter.

I think with the Trump tax cuts, that tax shelter may have been drastically reduced, if not eliminated.  So buying a house for the tax shelter may not have the benefits it once may have.

15 hours ago, RealReality said:

The white lady was billed as "Karen's PR" earlier in the episode but she's probably with RPGshow.  What exactly does Matt "assist" with?

14 hours ago, RealReality said:

Karen has previously said several times it was a "consensual fight" and both of them were wrong so she didn't see anything wrong with it because she feels Candiace was an equal participant in the fight.  The person who should actually be mad at Karen is Monique (provided she really wasn't in on it) because Karen was bringing Monique in the presence of someone who put criminal charges on her without any warning.  That wasn't right.

14 hours ago, RealReality said:

Candace just got done telling them about how high her anxiety level is about the entire situation, so Karen's solution was to invite her tormentor there?

Part of the problem with this season is a lot of the behind the scenes issues weren't shown, so unless you are following the drama offscreen, you come away thinking Candiace is overreacting and deserved it.  Candiace had anxiety because Monique & her army of social media stans embarked on a social media & harassment campaign on Candiace (and her mother) that has been going on for over a year.  This is the real reason why the cast is not for Monique, not the fight itself.  You could say, just turn off your social media or turn off your comments but these people were also harassing people Candiace had gigs with so those people would drop Candiace to avoid the headaches & drama. 

If your coworker hated you & got the rest of the department to embark on a harassment campaign against you, you wouldn't like it.  People always say "well tell management/the teacher/etc" but the reality of it is most people don't check bullies because they don't want the bully turning their attention onto them.

15 hours ago, RealReality said:

I actually don't think they cared if Karen was drinking or not, it's that Karen always comes up with ridiculous lies and explanations instead of just saying "I don't want to drink tonight" and leaving it at that.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

I actually don't think they cared if Karen was drinking or not, it's that Karen always comes up with ridiculous lies and explanations instead of just saying "I don't want to drink tonight" and leaving it at that.

All of this.... Karen Lies about the dumbest things ... Everyone knew she was lying about the reason for not drinking ( no one would have gave a shit if she just said I am not drinking or I tend to be a lil bit messy when I drink)  and instead of just saying I don't want to drink she made up "health" issues ... those "health" issues seemed to disappear and reappear at whim of who she was around when she gets caught in a lie she gets super defensive and lashes out like it was them who was lying .... ... Just like her lying to the girls about NOT inviting Monique which is on camera ... like girl why lie? its dumb and you get caught so easy ....

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, ridethemaverick said:

Anyhoo, I like Karen but she lost me this week. All she had to do was tell the truth and she wouldn't have come off looking like an unhinged loser. 

I agree about the wigs; some people need to leave the Rapunzel look alone, leave it for the Disney princesses.

I hope Karen's fame doesn't go to her head, if it does she'll be Nene Leakes 2.0.

And as for dear Monique, people who pop off and get physical over NOTHING are mainly people who have nothing.  I've seen my share of people fighting in the streets over a dime, a man, a woman, a piece of chicken; they fight because they have zilch in their lives; that's why I'm annoyed with Monique.  Monique is a woman who has a husband, three children, four homes; she has no reason to be on TV acting like a person who has nothing going on in their life.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, drivethroo said:

The problem with this is Candiace didn't say anything to warrant Monique keeping her head ringing.  Monique was already flipping Candiace's hair by the time Candiace said "You wanna drag me?"

Monique wanted to fight Candiace and it really didn't matter what Candiace said.  In fact, it is practically 2021 and if Monique could beat Candiace's ass again, she would.  Candiace knows it which is why she wants to be kept away from Monique.  It is what it is.

I think with the Trump tax cuts, that tax shelter may have been drastically reduced, if not eliminated.  So buying a house for the tax shelter may not have the benefits it once may have.

The white lady was billed as "Karen's PR" earlier in the episode but she's probably with RPGshow.  What exactly does Matt "assist" with?

Karen has previously said several times it was a "consensual fight" and both of them were wrong so she didn't see anything wrong with it because she feels Candiace was an equal participant in the fight.  The person who should actually be mad at Karen is Monique (provided she really wasn't in on it) because Karen was bringing Monique in the presence of someone who put criminal charges on her without any warning.  That wasn't right.

Part of the problem with this season is a lot of the behind the scenes issues weren't shown, so unless you are following the drama offscreen, you come away thinking Candiace is overreacting and deserved it.  Candiace had anxiety because Monique & her army of social media stans embarked on a social media & harassment campaign on Candiace (and her mother) that has been going on for over a year.  This is the real reason why the cast is not for Monique, not the fight itself.  You could say, just turn off your social media or turn off your comments but these people were also harassing people Candiace had gigs with so those people would drop Candiace to avoid the headaches & drama. 

If your coworker hated you & got the rest of the department to embark on a harassment campaign against you, you wouldn't like it.  People always say "well tell management/the teacher/etc" but the reality of it is most people don't check bullies because they don't want the bully turning their attention onto them.

15 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

All of this.... Karen Lies about the dumbest things ... Everyone knew she was lying about the reason for not drinking ( no one would have gave a shit if she just said I am not drinking or I tend to be a lil bit messy when I drink)  and instead of just saying I don't want to drink she made up "health" issues ... those "health" issues seemed to disappear and reappear at whim of who she was around when she gets caught in a lie she gets super defensive and lashes out like it was them who was lying .... ... Just like her lying to the girls about NOT inviting Monique which is on camera ... like girl why lie? its dumb and you get caught so easy ....

I love Karen and think her ridiculous personality is the defining factor of Potomac (the way Vicki defined the OC, Nene Atlanta, Ramona NYC etc.) but it was truly stupid for her to keep lying on camera where she knows she will get caught.

She just could have said that she does not want to drink but made a show of it with the glass of milk.

37 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

9c87707b29e5dd8039a146f8dc207f6cb81aab3a

Thank you for this! David Allen Grier has always cracked me up.  Jamal is slime, but as a lot of people on here said, at least his sliminess is a known quantity.  It makes me sad for Gizelle that this guy is preferable to being alone.  I don't even get the "storyline" excuse; Gizelle could have a lot of fun making her search for Mr. Right a storyline (are people still doing speed dating? probably not in these Covid times) without exposing her daughters to anything strange or harmful.

She should have talked about her folded tissues instead.  Somehow, every times Candiace "reads" someone, she ends up in tears, which is a sign that maybe she's doing it wrong.

This reminded me of when Gretchen started dating Slade on OC. At first, I thought it was a storyline because I could not believe that she was actually interested in such a vile "ain't shit" broke ass man (he stopped paying child support for his sick child-who eventually passed away). This "story line" eventually got her kicked off the show (viewers could not stomach him) and I think she is still married to him today.

I always thought she would have done much better showcasing a single girl about town dating life on the show, since it is something that a lot of women can relate to pretty easily.

Gizelle could show us what dating is like in Potomac for women that are 50+. It was cool to hear about how she met Sherman at the gym (he was admiring her). Sherman did not work out but many dating relationships do not work out (no big deal). It is not like G is at the age where she wants to have children...she can take her time.

Anything will be better than getting back with her disgusting ex.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, CeceliaBedelia said:

Random question, what does Candiance's opening line even mean?  I own the library?

She thinks she can read people. I’m not sure the woman can even read books!
She knows how to insult via social media, that’s about it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, CeceliaBedelia said:

Random question, what does Candiance's opening line even mean?  I own the library?

They probably just came up with that because "I'll come after you with a butter knife in a heartbeat" wouldn't be appropriate.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I knew something was up when Dr. Hair walked in to Karen's house with wigs on heads, not even in the packaging, like this was some sort of last minute Hail Mary pass for yet another business/story line about how busy the mogul Karen is these days.  

$700+, are they made of human hair?  Most of the Orthodox women around here spend twice that at least and they are human hair, slightly less for a halo like wig.  I know Porsha of Atl has wig line but never looked at the pricing, is $700 a competitive price?

It would be human hair, $700 is probably competitive for some..... not for me.  $500 is probably my upper limit.  I know you can get into like the thousands for a Beyonce quality wig, but I'm not Beyonce.  

The wig company I normally buy from actually had layaway and payment plans for wigs.  Just, no.  Like, no, I'm not buying a wig on layaway I don't care how Brazilian or virgin that hair is.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, lasu said:

Exactly this.  And I wouldn't even say all obvious wigs are bad.  All bad wigs are obvious, but not all obvious wigs are bad and I think Candace is an example of someone with an obvious wig that I like.  The "heavy" look of the hair probably has to do with the density of the hair on the wig.  A normal human being, even one with thick, luxuriant hair, doesn't have THAT MUCH hair on their head.  Normally, the wigs I buy are a little less dense in the front, around the hairline so it mimics a natural hairline.  Candace's wig just looks very dense.  But I don't think its a bad look for her, even though its obvious.  And frankly, I don't know that I would be super bothered if someone knew I was wearing a wig, I don't consider it a mark of shame, I think its great to have options to change up your look whenever you'd like while protecting your hair underneath.   And its especially nice not to be beholden to the creamy crack!

Robyns "Tatiyana" wig is a good example of a bad wig that looks obvious.  

But you are 100% correct you won't know a good, natural wig because its that good.  Half the time if you didn't know Beyonce was wearing a wig....you wouldn't know Beyonce was wearing a wig.  There have been times I've seen the lace slightly coming up...if I've looked hard.  Right around the ears.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, lasu said:

Whew, I wish I lived in this area. There is nothing in my area that is going down in price.  Well, at the moment, you might be seeing a slight dip.  So if you just bought your house here six months ago it might be worth a smidge less than you paid for it, but it's going to bounce back.  I was just talking to a friend who bought his house a zip code over for me 5 years ago for $150K, which makes me want to cry.  His house is valued at over $250K, and you couldn't get a 400sf studio for $150K anymore.  My zip code the AVERAGE home sale is $675K.  It's one of the biggest reasons I'm still renting - I can't afford to buy where I want to live.  And, as mentioned, I live way below means with no surprise bills - even my utilities are all included so even my electric bill isn't ever a surprise to me.  It's been lovely and worry free, but now I'm aggressively saving to buy, because I'm single with no kids, so it's starting to scare me I have virtually no accumulated wealth.  But as a lifelong renter, I surely understand there are pros to that as well.

I feel like shit is going to hit the fan, and the market once covid foreclosure protections expire in various states.  Just my feeling.  However, if you're living somewhere where homes are like $700k those people may be pretty job secure.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

Robyns "Tatiyana" wig is a good example of a bad wig that looks obvious.  

She’s had a couple Party City looking wigs this year.  The one she wore to Wendy’s party?  Yikes.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

I feel like shit is going to hit the fan, and the market once covid foreclosure protections expire in various states.

Bingo.  Not to mention other factors.  We are headed for something, and now would be the time to be preparing and being conservative with your money.  Robyn and Juan both have income NOW, and the minute she got some coin in her pocket she had to start looking at million dollar homes.  They need to be building up their retirement and investments if they lost it all and are starting at zero.  What about the boys college funds?  I’m assuming those were back at zero as well.  

So what if she lived “frugally,” recently.  She only did that because she had no choice, until the show came along that’s all they could afford.  Does she not remember how much it costs to heat and run a million dollar home?  You’d think she would since her gas service was shut off in the past for non payment.  Oh, and Robyn, you have to pay your PROPERTY taxes too.  Those won’t be cheap.  In her own words “you almost had me.”  Yup, you did.  But driving a modest car and renting a townhome does not equal financial responsibility when you wind up owing the IRS $90k less than 10 years after you came out of bankruptcy.  

I do wonder if her and Juan will really ever get married.  And if so, will they commingle their monies.  It seems pretty clear that they are keeping things separate right now.  I don’t blame him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, geauxaway said:

Bingo.  Not to mention other factors.  We are headed for something, and now would be the time to be preparing and being conservative with your money.  Robyn and Juan both have income NOW, and the minute she got some coin in her pocket she had to start looking at million dollar homes.  They need to be building up their retirement and investments if they lost it all and are starting at zero.  What about the boys college funds?  I’m assuming those were back at zero as well.  

So what if she lived “frugally,” recently.  She only did that because she had no choice, until the show came along that’s all they could afford.  Does she not remember how much it costs to heat and run a million dollar home?  You’d think she would since her gas service was shut off in the past for non payment.  Oh, and Robyn, you have to pay your PROPERTY taxes too.  Those won’t be cheap.  In her own words “you almost had me.”  Yup, you did.  But driving a modest car and renting a townhome does not equal financial responsibility when you wind up owing the IRS $90k less than 10 years after you came out of bankruptcy.  

Good points.  That's the problem, but what is their solution?

Aside from NOT looking at million dollar homes, that is.  (Actually I think that part was just for the show.)

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Hire a CPA.  Let her parents handle their investments, I guess, if they won’t trust a financial planner.  Clearly Robyn sucks at money management.  Probably not purchase a million dollar home?  IDK!   

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Aside from NOT looking at million dollar homes, that is.  (Actually I think that part was just for the show.)

Exactly. I didn't read too much into them looking for a house. It fits with their story of moving towards remarriage and rebuilding. It's all produced. I even wonder if that scene was shot after the "finale" 

Spoiler

and the proposal. 

• Love 2

Another factor in buying a home, besides maintenance and and property taxes is that HOA fees can be astronomical.  I recently bought a condo and admittedly got a good deal, but, the monthly HOA fee is nearly twice the mortgage payment.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Axie said:

Another factor in buying a home, besides maintenance and and property taxes is that HOA fees can be astronomical.  I recently bought a condo and admittedly got a good deal, but, the monthly HOA fee is nearly twice the mortgage payment.

I know!! We looked at a few houses in a neighborhood I loved but the HOA was another mortgage payment and if I had that much I would be looking at a bigger house elsewhere.

• Love 6