Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Chapter Eleven - The Heiress

• Start Topic

I enjoyed the episode and always find the Mandalorian entertaining but will say I liked this episode more then last weeks. I've never watched any of the animated shows so I don't know who any of the characters introduced in this episode are but I enjoyed their scenes and it was nice to hear more about the world of the Mandalorians.

I'm in the minority here when I say I don't want Mando taking his helmet off, I don't understand why he wears it when he's alone with the child in his ship but he does so it would be weird to see him at this point removing it to talk or whatever.

I can't help but feel nostalgic with this show. It takes me back to episodes IV, V, & VI. I was 18 when Star Wars hit the theaters and had a big crush on Mark Hamill/Luke so I enjoy seeing all the winks and call backs. I keep thinking Luke's out there somewhere, lol 🙂

• Love 6

I liked this ep better than last week’s, mostly because of lack of spiders.  Fewer spiders is always better than more spiders!

Not only did I think it, but I said, “Pray I don’t alter it further.” out loud while I was watching.  

The squid people reminded me of Pirates of the Caribbean.  And I didn’t trust them at all. It didn’t hurt my feelings when the other Mandalorians showed up and saved the day.

I’ve never seen any of the animated series, but it didn’t really matter. I mostly know the names from reading them here.  Even if I hadn’t, though, it still all made sense.  They explained quite well what they were trying to do.

Glad the Child didn’t eat any more of the eggs or tadpoles, and I loved seeing that tentacle being slurped in at the end.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

When Mando and the baby were leaving the frog family's place, and Baby Yoda was making a fuss because he wanted to play with the baby frog some more or take it with them, Mando said "I have enough pets". People took that to mean that he's referring to Baby Yoda as his pet. I do think it was an odd choice of words. "We don't need a pet, I already have my hands full" would have been a better choice IMO. Although even that brings us back to the whole egg eating dilemma (sentient being versus something else?), because the baby frog techincally would not have been a pet.

Ah, so it's most likely people overreacting to a jokey comment. Glad I'm not going crazy.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 4:01 AM, Jediknight said:

Bo-Katan!  Ahsoka name drop!

I'm not steeped in the Star Wars lore, but I got a thrill hearing those names!

Excellent episode! I screamed when the Baby was thrown in with the mamacore! The whole sequence of Bo-Katan, Koska and Axe rescuing Mando and the Baby was fantastic!

Also, I was surprisingly touched by Frog Lady's reunion with her husband.

Cool seeing Titus Welliver as that Imperial captain.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 4

Mr. And Mrs. Frog were so cute at their reunion. Loved them babysitting the Baby even after what he had done.

I love Titus Welliver so I’m sorry to see him gone so soon.

Was that Planet Cthulhu?

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Mr. And Mrs. Frog were so cute at their reunion. Loved them babysitting the Baby even after what he had done.

Well, to be fair, that's just it: He's still a baby.  😋  Maybe that made it easier to forgive since babies don't know any better (no matter what the species! LOL!)?

• Love 1

On 11/13/2020 at 6:30 AM, Anduin said:

Wookieepedia says that Sasha Banks is Koska Reeves. And the man is named Axe Wolves. Yes, I know. That's Star Wars for you.

Small nitpick, but it's Axe Woves, not Wolves.

30 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Didn’t she give him a look and hold the canister more tightly to her in last week’s episode?

I thought she was holding the canister tightly because it was a very bumpy ride, and she had no way of strapping it down.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I thought she was holding the canister tightly because it was a very bumpy ride, and she had no way of strapping it down.  

Nah, she grabbed it tighter when Baby Yoda turned around to stare are the eggs. She definitely realized at some point.

Speaking of...

I was watching an episode review and they showed a clip of Baby Yoda looking at the eggs (after Din dropped him off). You can see the egg hatch, I'm glad they showed his growing realization/learning that the egg was more than food. I know people were upset last week but, the eggs were unfertilized and, I don't blame him getting confused on what is food when his stew turned into a face hugger.

• Love 4
On 11/13/2020 at 9:57 AM, magdalene said:

Yes, I really didn't like that Mando called Baby Yoda a pet.

I also don't like that they have taken away the child's Force powers this season. Inconsistent from the first season.

Still no sign of Greef and Cara.

Instead it looks like next is this Asoka woman. Another character that means nothing to me. Meh.

I could give "homework" of dozens of Clone Wars and Rebels episodes but even without that she should mean something to you.  She's a Jedi.  She's the end of Din's quest to deliver the baby to his people because she's his people.  Just based on what you heard in this episode without any other knowledge, Ahsoka Tano is (at least potentially) an incredibly significant person for Mando

• Love 1
On 11/13/2020 at 7:32 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

know people are wondering why Baby Yoda isn't using his powers and obvious answer is budget but, looking in show has he ever used his powers for self preservation? I only remember him using it to save others Mando and Greef Karga.

I think it is more plot choices rather than budget. A force choke costs nothing as far as effects goes. And considering how much of this show is CG showing a space ship or a monster moving with the force shouldn't cost any more than showing the same thing not moving because of no force.

23 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

The whoool seeing Titus Welliver as that Imperial captain.

To this day, even though it was like 16 years ago and he has been in a million things since then, every time I see Titus Welliver the first thing I think is "fuckin Adams".

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, johntfs said:

I could give "homework" of dozens of Clone Wars and Rebels episodes but even without that she should mean something to you.  She's a Jedi.  She's the end of Din's quest to deliver the baby to his people because she's his people.  Just based on what you heard in this episode without any other knowledge, Ahsoka Tano is (at least potentially) an incredibly significant person for Mando

I shouldn't have to do "home work" to watch this show.  There are viewers - like me - who are casually familiar with the original movies  but have not watched any of the animated shows.  This Jedi is just a name to me at this point. Unless they are the baby or Mando who I have gotten to know over the course of the series any new character has to earn my interest.  The show should stand on its own.

Part of the reason the episode did not work well for me was that the episode was very short and felt rushed.  All I took from meeting Bo Katan is that she is very arrogant and doesn't stick to deals.  I would have loved more of a reaction from Mando finding out that he was basically raised in a religious cult off shoot of Mandalorian culture.  All we got was 5 seconds of pouting to something that should have been a shattering revelation to him.

I am not automatically opposed to new to me characters from the Star Wars universe.  I loved Cobb Vanth at first sight.  But he is played by a charismatic actor in a much longer episode and we got to see important parts of his back story on screen.

• Love 10

One weird thing I noticed in this one. Back in season 1 the Armourer told Mando that he needed new armour since his lost its integrity, which was basic from the wear of getting shot. Now in this episode the boss lady Mandolorian said that her armour was passed down for generations. But if armour wears out doesn't that mean she is bragging that her ancestors were almost never in fights?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

One weird thing I noticed in this one. Back in season 1 the Armourer told Mando that he needed new armour since his lost its integrity, which was basic from the wear of getting shot. Now in this episode the boss lady Mandolorian said that her armour was passed down for generations. But if armour wears out doesn't that mean she is bragging that her ancestors were almost never in fights?

Maybe it's one of those "I own Daniel Boone's axe" situations. Had to replace the head a couple of times and the handle a few times...

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Does it make a difference if the armor isn't actually made with beskar? I thought that Mando’s original armor wasn’t beskar and so it was a big deal for him to get a whole suit made out of it. I may have not understood, though. 

Edited by bethy
  • Love 5

Back in season 1 the Armourer told Mando that he needed new armour since his lost its integrity, which was basic from the wear of getting shot.

I thought that was because he got smashed and thrown around by the mudhorn and his breast place is hanging off afterwards.  I imagine not too many individuals go up against a mudhorn.

I thought the action was well done in this one, though unfortunately the show had to drop in the "hero does a dumb thing" trope in order for the cool new people to rescue him - namely, hey there Mando, why don't you and your kid stand RIGHT BY this giant opening in the boat to see the giant creature we're feeding?  Yeah sure, just to look, wink wink, nod nod.  *eyeroll*

I did like the fisherman's sweaters, heh and the frog family was cute and not seen too much.

I do find it a little hard to believe that no one in Din's Mandalorian faction knows of other Mandalorians who take their helmets off and bothered to share this info with Din?  I mean, they all get out on jobs; Din takes pretty much any job, is fluent in at least one other language, knows a whole bunch of other stuff but has never heard of other Mandalorians who take their helmets off?   

I know the show wanted us to see Din's shock and wanted the excitement of these characters from the other show but that part didn't really work for me.  I like that Din is consistent in that he still worked with them.   I will be curious to see going forward how much he thinks about whether or not "this is the way".  Personally I hope he doesn't change too much except to grow more as a father.  

Bryce Dallas Howard is a very good director - not just the action but at the end when we see the creature crawling around the cockpit and Din snatches it one handed; cut to the child slurping down the last tentacle.   It was a fun and tight sequence to end on. 

• Love 6

It gets passed down and remolded for whomever currently owns it. Repairs are probably done as needed. In Mando’s case though, as others said, I’m pretty sure his start-of-the-show armor wasn’t beskar.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, johntfs said:

I really doubt that’s going to be the end of his quest. 

I loved Clone Wars and Ahsoka but the show needs to earn her importance to this story and this audience. Particularly since it’s the first live action version. 

5 hours ago, magdalene said:

I would have loved more of a reaction from Mando finding out that he was basically raised in a religious cult off shoot of Mandalorian culture.  All we got was 5 seconds of pouting to something that should have been a shattering revelation to him.

I don’t think he believes them yet so hopefully that is still coming. 

Regarding Mando's non-reaction to being told he grew up in basically a cult, I think he was just in shock. He needs time to process it, and his first thought was probably denial. The audience wanted him to ask more questions, but he wasn't ready for that yet.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, magdalene said:

I shouldn't have to do "home work" to watch this show.  There are viewers - like me - who are casually familiar with the original movies  but have not watched any of the animated shows.  This Jedi is just a name to me at this point. Unless they are the baby or Mando who I have gotten to know over the course of the series any new character has to earn my interest.  The show should stand on its own.

Part of the reason the episode did not work well for me was that the episode was very short and felt rushed.  All I took from meeting Bo Katan is that she is very arrogant and doesn't stick to deals.  I would have loved more of a reaction from Mando finding out that he was basically raised in a religious cult off shoot of Mandalorian culture.  All we got was 5 seconds of pouting to something that should have been a shattering revelation to him.

I am not automatically opposed to new to me characters from the Star Wars universe.  I loved Cobb Vanth at first sight.  But he is played by a charismatic actor in a much longer episode and we got to see important parts of his back story on screen.

That was my point.  You don't have to do homework to enjoy the show.  It can give you a deeper insight into certain character.  I had a good laugh from Din accusing the woman who was The Mondalore of being insufficiently Mandalorian, but the show did a good job of showing us Bo-Katan's ruthless ambition, bravery and, yes, honor.

My point is that just knowing that Ahsoka Tano is a Jedi and thus the (potential) end of Din's quest makes her very significant within the story.  I do agree that meeting her won't be the end of his quest.  For my part I like the idea that a lot of these characters have established pasts from other shows and media.  It gives Star Wars more of a grounding in history.

• Love 4

What are the odds that when he finds Ahsoka Tano, she says

Spoiler

that she knew Yoda but he believed that he was the last of his kind so she can't help him and knows nothing?  Maybe she can at least tell him what Yoda used to eat or whatever, but that's about it.

That's not really spoiler, I hid it though just in case.  It's just my speculative guess.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wonder if Yoda and Yaddle got busy?  Either that or Baby Yoda could be a clone (I have no idea if that theory has been shot down).

It was shot down by none other than the wise mentor figure Kuill during the first season in episode 7.  He seemed to know what he was talking about.

For what it's worth Yoda and Baby Yoda don't have the same eye color.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2020 at 12:10 PM, johntfs said:

That was my point.  You don't have to do homework to enjoy the show. 

I agree.  I am sure Clone Wars and Rebels are both really good shows - I am just not interested in that sort of investment.

So when I have questions - I just go to Wookiepedia.   a/k/a Star Wars cliff notes.

I love Starbuck - so I was thrilled to see Katee Sackhoff.  She has so much charisma.  I always thought she should be a bigger star.

Titus Welliver's role was small but memorable and in keeping with the roles Titus usually plays.  A man that has to contend with idiots. So when Titus realized that his team closed the doors on the invaders so they were trapped in the cargo hold - Titus face said it all.  "The Empire is so over as we are besieged by complete and total nitwits."  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I am just not interested in that sort of investment.

That is sort of where I am at too. After watching the latest episode with my kids I mentioned that the new characters were from the Clone Wars cartoon. Then we looked and saw that there are 200+ episode of Clone Wars and Rebels and I realized that while I like Mandolorian I don't think I like it to put in that kind of investment in the backstory, which is why I hope they keep it to a minimum.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 11/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I enjoyed the episode and always find the Mandalorian entertaining but will say I liked this episode more then last weeks. I've never watched any of the animated shows so I don't know who any of the characters introduced in this episode are but I enjoyed their scenes and it was nice to hear more about the world of the Mandalorians.

I'm in the minority here when I say I don't want Mando taking his helmet off, I don't understand why he wears it when he's alone with the child in his ship but he does so it would be weird to see him at this point removing it to talk or whatever.

I can't help but feel nostalgic with this show. It takes me back to episodes IV, V, & VI. I was 18 when Star Wars hit the theaters and had a big crush on Mark Hamill/Luke so I enjoy seeing all the winks and call backs. I keep thinking Luke's out there somewhere, lol 🙂

200+ episodes.  Wow.  That's impressive.  I can't do that.  Thank God for Wookiepedia.  👍

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

That is sort of where I am at too. After watching the latest episode with my kids I mentioned that the new characters were from the Clone Wars cartoon. Then we looked and saw that there are 200+ episode of Clone Wars and Rebels and I realized that while I like Mandolorian I don't think I like it to put in that kind of investment in the backstory, which is why I hope they keep it to a minimum.

I watched all of Rebels I really liked it. I tried Clone Wars years ago and couldn't get into it. I did a rewatch when Rogue One came out since Saul Guerra is a Clone Wars character. I found a "cheat sheet" online that gave you different ways of watching to streamline the episodes.

I did watch all of S7 Clone Wars as they released. 

Long way of saying I hear you, I couldn't watch all episodes of S1-6 of The Clone Wars. That being said, holy crap the cartoon gave me a much greater appreciation of Anakin and his downfall. I hated the prequels but, damn if The Clone Wars didn't make me appreciate Anakin's character.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

I took the "I have enough pets" as a kind of sarcastic, exasperated joke kinda like if your mom was like, when are you giving me grandkids? Don't you want kids? And you look over at your husband and say, I already have one child, I don't need anymore. 

Edited by Samwise979
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

Do you care about any character before you meet them? I usually have to meet them first before I can form an opinion. 

I don't think anyone has to do "homework" to know any characters. For fans it's great to see these characters again and in live action. I think they did enough to establish who Bo Katan was for new viewers for how it pertains to this show. If you want to learn more you can. For fans

we know Bo Katan knows about Death Watch, because she used to be in it.

If not, she's a character that Mando met along his journey that gave him more insight in the Mandalorians. She's only a part of his story we don't need to know more. Like Ahsoka will probably give him more info on the child's abilities and that's it. She doesn't have to be super important for the Mandalorians story, just a piece of the puzzle. I never read the books so I didn't know the Vance guy. I liked him but that's not making me want to read his book. He was just a character. I'm happy for the fans that got see him though. 

Plus I don't think anyone has to worry about Ahsoka taking over this show. I would think that Filoni would want to save any Ahoska stories for her own show, where he'll have time with the character.

• Love 7
On 11/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, raven said:

I thought the action was well done in this one, though unfortunately the show had to drop in the "hero does a dumb thing" trope in order for the cool new people to rescue him - namely, hey there Mando, why don't you and your kid stand RIGHT BY this giant opening in the boat to see the giant creature we're feeding?  Yeah sure, just to look, wink wink, nod nod.  *eyeroll*

I did like the fisherman's sweaters, heh and the frog family was cute and not seen too much.

I immediately suspected something was up when the guy said more than once (several times, I think) "let the kid watch..." He was way too eager. As soon as they knocked the Baby into the maw, I was seized with such rage I had to pause the stream. Do NOT fuck with the Baby! How dare you!!!

The Aran sweaters--what a great joke! And yes, Mr. and Mrs. Frog were sweetly adorable. Loved the Baby's awe as he stared at the tadpole.

• Love 2

Small moment, but I liked when Bo Katan and her crew first removed their helmets, and Baby Yoda immediately looks up at Din like, “You can take that thing off?” Haha.

Edited by Peace 47
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

I knew Bo Katan was coming back (I'm mostly spoiled for big plot beats), but that was a great entrance. 

I loved the look on her face when the Mandalorian was snippy about the helmet - 'Bitch I'm Bo Katan!'

Ahsoka is my favorite character in the whole canon. Forgive me for being didactic, but she's technically not a jedi. 

I did like the 'mind your manners - you KNOW what I mean,' when he left the child. 

I always laugh when they have the Imperial officers in the silly 1970s get up. 

On 11/13/2020 at 1:52 PM, Penman61 said:

Just a general note that it's SO great to watch Star Wars stories without the insane pressure of the movies.

That's why I loved the animated series. You actually have room to breathe. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1

I’m surprised Mando didn’t aim for the water. A splashdown is considerably gentler on a ship (and its passengers!) than landing on a hard surface.

Was anyone else expecting Baby Yoda to just dive into that bowl of stew(?) like a pig in mud?

Wait – there’s more than one set of beliefs on what it means to be a Mandalorian? What next? Planets with more than one climatic zone?

How exactly does Darth Fring inspire such suicidal loyalty in his subordinates?

On 11/13/2020 at 6:57 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Liked visiting a water planet (compared to the sand ones), and seeing more of the amphibious-like species that we've only gotten glimpses of in the films (or have been memed to death like Admiral Ackbar!)

With the Mon Calamari involvement, our hero really should spotted “It's a Trap!” a bit quicker, though.

On 11/13/2020 at 11:23 PM, Starfish35 said:

I was terrified when Din left the Child with the Frog couple.  After last week, I was sure we were going to find him eating tadpoles

Though it would never fly with Disney, I was more expecting them to spit roast the kid. He had ate their children.

• Love 1
(edited)

They have got to stop having Mando continuously walking into traps.  Though the bartender did seem like a nice guy.

I haven't watched the animated series, so I didn't know about the blue Mandalorians.  I too thought their leader might have been evil wanting the dark saber, and changing the terms of the deal midway through.  It seemed to imply the blue ones were untrustworthy.  It was good to find out more of the backstory from this thread so I didn't misunderstand the situation (I would like to watch the "Clone Wars" animated series eventually but it seems like there were many seasons).  However, I do find it interesting how Mando is learning that Mandalorians don't have to keep their helmets on to be "real" Mandalorians.  This should be an interesting thing to explore over the course of the series, as he realizes that he grew up in a cult and hopefully will be open to the fact that "the way" he was taught might not be the only way.  This is the first time this season I saw some longer term potential since the first episode was a side mission and the second episode was basically car trouble.

I was worried Baby Yoda would eat a baby, so I'm glad he didn't and didn't seem tempted to.

I felt bad for the two pilots who got shot, but I guess they shouldn't have been working for the Empire.  There were also a whole lot of stormtroopers killed in this one.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1