Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Wedding Bells are Ringing

• Start Topic

Streaming now on the TLC app and TLC.com:

Despite not living together, Whitney and Chase begin to plan their wedding.

Why wouldn’t they have shown the friends and parents “reactions” on the actual engagement show or the “after party”?  Also, why is everybody ok with sitting in Whitney’s pee every year? The whole bridal party thing was stupid, why wouldn’t Whitney have mentioned this to Chase or asked whom he was picking if this were real? I mean I know it wasn’t but it’s stupid and I know I’m supposed to think Ryan’s the asshole but what did he actually do on the episode that’s supposed to make the audience think this? I wasn’t paying close attention, but to me Buddy always comes off as the jerk not Ryan.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Why wouldn’t they have shown the friends and parents “reactions” on the actual engagement show or the “after party”?  Also, why is everybody ok with sitting in Whitney’s pee every year? The whole bridal party thing was stupid, why wouldn’t Whitney have mentioned this to Chase or asked whom he was picking if this were real? I mean I know it wasn’t but it’s stupid and I know I’m supposed to think Ryan’s the asshole but what did he actually on the episode that’s supposed to make the audience think this? I wasn’t paying close attention, but to me Buddy always comes off as the jerk not Ryan.  

If they were hoping the actual show would convince more people this was real, they were sorely mistaken. Nothing about this seems real at all. And to answer your question from the other board, which I decided to answer here since it is episode specific, I think the ‘it’s fast’ stuff was probably already there. They knew they were heading towards a breakup even before the baby news since this was a fake relationship, so they are setting the groundwork early. It just happened that the intended breakup scene was written for them with the pregnancy rather than whatever lame reason they were going to give in the original script. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

This is kind of hard to watch. Chase and Ryan look like they can barely stand to be in the room with the rest of them. 

I agree that the engagement and everything was fake, but I think Whitney really did have a crush on Chase-in the same way that she seems to love every guy who gives her attention, even the ones who are paid. I wonder if she was just hoping that he'd fake it til he felt it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23

Every moment of Chase with Whitney was just so cringeful, there is zero chemistry or affection on the part of Chase with Whitney. It's like he resents every moment he is forced to be around her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
8 minutes ago, John M said:

Every moment of Chase with Whitney was just so cringeful, there is zero chemistry or affection on the part of Chase with Whitney. It's like he resents every moment he is forced to be around her. 

The only time he doesn’t look like a deer in the headlights is when he is with Ryan.  I do wonder how long they were going to drag this out if the gf did not get pregnant?  I am sad that there probably wasn’t a cake tasting segment 😞

• LOL 10
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

The only time he doesn’t look like a deer in the headlights is when he is with Ryan.  I do wonder how long they were going to drag this out if the gf did not get pregnant?  I am sad that there probably wasn’t a cake tasting segment 😞

Ryan's face in Paris was a genuine "WTF dude? This is too far, did you really agree to do this?" and Chase was like "I know! I can't believe it myself but it's what the show told me to do!"

• LOL 12
  • Love 7

As an obese woman, I do all I can to fade into the background and not be noticed. So, it’s astonishing to me that she continuously and willingly puts herself into situations where she’ll be humiliated. For instance, any large woman would know-especially after seeing how the skinny, fit men barely made it over that stream-that it wouldn’t look spry or graceful to lunge over that muddy gap. Yet, she does and laughs along with everyone else when her shoe gets stuck. I can’t fathom it. I’d applaud her bravery except I cringe so hard when she dives right into humiliating situations over and over. And her friends seem to hate her. She must have been snobby to them when she was thin because they seem to take great joy in laughing at her. I hope the money if worth it. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
47 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

When Whitney is arguing with Buddy and says "do you want to be done with THIS", did anyone get the vibe she was threatening Buddy? To me it felt like comply or the TLC gravy train ends for you. She is such an incredibly shitty friend. The TLC check is how she keeps her minions in line and getting in her pissy hot tub water.

Watching this season is going to be delicious seeing her karma boomerang in her face.

I agree and I think her minions are getting sick of the shit. I admit I FF’d through a lot because it’s just so awful but it seems like most of them are getting sick of the way she treats people. I know Buddy is supposed to be the villain of the piece until the breakup. I still believe he was supposed to be the reason for the breakup (i.e. Chase was supposed to be jealous) but he was actually pissed at her and had every right to be. I don’t think he was acting. He was completely right that she tries stuff that is stupid but she absolutely refused to hear it at all. I find it funny that she always talks about how she pushes herself - but she means crap like ‘climbing over the log when she could just walk around it’ instead of pushing herself to get a job or learn a skill or lose weight or really anything useful. 

• Love 21

She’s so hypocritical, telling Buddy to stop touching her while she is draped all over Tal. What a bitch...

Also, Buddy is in the footage for the next episode, so obviously they all got over their “fight” *eyeroll*

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, Mommygetz said:

She’s so hypocritical, telling Buddy to stop touching her while she is draped all over Tal. What a bitch...

Also, Buddy is in the footage for the next episode, so obviously they all got over their “fight” *eyeroll*

More like Buddy saw the threat of having to get a real job if his TLC check floated away. Better to remember his role as chief butt kisser.

• LOL 9
  • Love 9

I am positively wringing my hands in anticipation of this season.  

In my perfect world (which exists only in my head), Ryan enlisted his BFF Chase to help keep Whitney distracted from trying to ravage him as he tried to build his brand.  Chase agreed, TLC agreed, and only Whitney was left in the dark clutching her sad sack of delusion.  

But at least Ryan's sac was spared her clutches.  Chase definitely took one for the team.  

I can't wait to see this fucktastrophy play out this season.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 11

I just watched and it seemed like Chase can barely stand to be in the same room with her.  He looked constantly annoyed. I noticed they were already setting up the 'break up' with all the comments about them barely knowing each other....yes and Stephanie has an illness and 
Tim cheated (90 day reference).  So a beach wedding is too sandy and gross yet she can roll around the beach in Hawaii and go on cruises.

I don't like Buddy but it was mature of him to get Heather alone away from Whit and the cameras to make amends to her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

I agree the “engagement” was production-driven crapola but I have a feeling Mt Whitney was not in on the joke. We know the TLC crew must hate her because they like using the most unflattering camera angles and airing footage that makes her look like a fucking clown. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they colluded with Chase and Ryan to stage the whole thing. 

She looks like she put on a few pounds! Why would anyone want to subscribe to her exercise videos?  The exercises sure haven’t helped Twit firm up or lose weight.  

I hope it’s a rollercoaster ride this season. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, nytonc said:

I agree the “engagement” was production-driven crapola but I have a feeling Mt Whitney was not in on the joke. We know the TLC crew must hate her because they like using the most unflattering camera angles and airing footage that makes her look like a fucking clown. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they colluded with Chase and Ryan to stage the whole thing. 

She looks like she put on a few pounds! Why would anyone want to subscribe to her exercise videos?  The exercises sure haven’t helped Twit firm up or lose weight.  

I hope it’s a rollercoaster ride this season. 

I actually thought she looked like she had lost a few in this episode - although in the "this season pandemic" previews she looks like she put them back on!  I must disagree with you about her not being in on it - she was on a show-off high being on a walk with 4 guys, but coming home when she decided to Meet the Challenge of the Log she was doing it with Buddy only - her "business partner', "fiance" and "bridesmen" had all run off and were gone for that whole scene!  I have always known the show and her "relationships" were a bunch of lies and to me this is further proof - I can't believe that if she had a REAL fiance and she thought he was in love with her that she wouldn't even notice that he had run off ages before she attempted to haul herself over that log.  A fiance who loved her should have been standing there cheering her on and telling her he was proud of her!  Of course he should have!  Where was Chase?  (My guess: on the phone with his real girlfriend telling her he was thrilled to be done filming for the next hour whilst Whit hauled herself over the log and started a fake fight with Buddy 😈 )

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

When they greeted each other, her "fake minions" all acted like they hadn't seen her nor each other in forever.  It's like they only get together when there's a paycheck involved.  I wonder, though, if all their "It happened so fast" reactions might have been genuine.  I wonder if everyone involved is in on the fake relationship between her and Chase - they may speculate privately but "play along" on TV because they know it's what they're supposed to do.  I do think if anyone was in on it it was Buddy and he was being obnoxious because he was told to be so, then rebelled genuinely when she went OTT in response.  

The show couldn't even get Chase to act like he had some affection for her?  It's like he was standing around checked out or near other people all the time, never her.  That's pretty pathetic.  I suppose the only reason I'm in on watching this is a) there isn't much else on right now and b) I'm looking forward to seeing her get screwed.  I know, that's pretty pathetic too!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Ryan's face in Paris was a genuine "WTF dude? This is too far, did you really agree to do this?" and Chase was like "I know! I can't believe it myself but it's what the show told me to do!"

Seeing that made me reassess whether Twit had found out about the girl friend before the Paris trip. I remain convinced that the whole thing was initially cooked up by the bros, production saw a good story arc and ran with it, while Twit believed it was real. She didn't seem to be acting in Boone and it looked believable that she thought herself to be in a relationship while we saw his discomfort in any wedding planning. His anger even bubbled up when he was asked who would be his best man.

I think that Chase kept her at bay by pretending to be an old fashioned, southern gentleman. He made a big show of apologizing to Glen for not asking permission to propose which would be in keeping with him telling Twit that he didn't believe in sex before marriage. If she was truly infatuated with him she would have done anything to keep him and that would include not mauling him if that's what he wanted.

Ignoring each other on the flight back from Paris might be a result of an argument, or, direction by the production company to keep the trip from becoming public knowledge. A random obese woman in First Class and an unkempt 30 something wouldn't be recognizable unless they were seen together.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

When they greeted each other, her "fake minions" all acted like they hadn't seen her nor each other in forever.  It's like they only get together when there's a paycheck involved.  I wonder, though, if all their "It happened so fast" reactions might have been genuine.  I wonder if everyone involved is in on the fake relationship between her and Chase - they may speculate privately but "play along" on TV because they know it's what they're supposed to do.  I do think if anyone was in on it it was Buddy and he was being obnoxious because he was told to be so, then rebelled genuinely when she went OTT in response.  

The show couldn't even get Chase to act like he had some affection for her?  It's like he was standing around checked out or near other people all the time, never her.  That's pretty pathetic.  I suppose the only reason I'm in on watching this is a) there isn't much else on right now and b) I'm looking forward to seeing her get screwed.  I know, that's pretty pathetic too!

I don’t think the minions see each other a lot outside of filming. They may have seen each other a bit more earlier in the show but I think for the most part they have their own lives and see each other occasionally, as would be typical of long term friends with different lives now. I think they continue with the show for the paycheck but also I think because they’ve been friends with Whitney for a long time and some loyalty comes with that, even when you know it’s not a great relationship. I also suspect that TLC has them under contract, either by season or by multiple season, where by if they bail without consent from TLC there could be ramifications. I think Buddy was genuinely pissed off but he can’t bail because TLC needs him for the ‘got dumped and now my best friend is living with me during the pandemic’ story line. And yes - he needs the money

• Love 11

So a beach wedding is too sandy and gross yet she can roll around the beach in Hawaii and go on cruises.

I love the beach. Hawaii is on my bucket list. But I'm with Whitney on beach weddings - wedding gowns are usually hot and have a lot of fabric; then you have sand; being at the mercy of the weather... just no. I'd have a wedding at an indoor venue overlooking the beach but never actually on the beach itself.

Not that my opinion on this matters. I've had my one wedding and it was lovely - but not on a beach.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

But I'm with Whitney on beach weddings

There's also the issue of someone as heavy as Whitney sinking deep into the sand and then having to pull her feet out while wrangling a (presumably) long/voluminous dress. 

Not that any of that matters now!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I love the beach. Hawaii is on my bucket list. But I'm with Whitney on beach weddings - wedding gowns are usually hot and have a lot of fabric; then you have sand; being at the mercy of the weather... just no. I'd have a wedding at an indoor venue overlooking the beach but never actually on the beach itself.

Not that my opinion on this matters. I've had my one wedding and it was lovely - but not on a beach.

I wouldn’t want a beach wedding either, although I wouldn’t be opposed to an indoor wedding or a deck type wedding where you could see the ocean in the background either. But my issue with Whitney on this one was that she actually seemed mad that Chase expressed a desire for a beach wedding. She seemed upset that he didn’t just say ‘hey good idea’ about what she wanted. I realize all of this is moot since this was all fake but if it was real why wouldn’t it make sense that Chase would think a beach wedding would be a good idea since .... well he lives by the beach. Making everyone drive to the mountains isn’t everyone’s idea of a good thing. Just once I’d love to hear her say something like ‘well how about an indoor wedding at the beach’ or something like that. He ever mentions the air conditioning, fans, etc. She could suggest something not on the sand. But NEVER does that occur to her. She wants everyone to have to drive hours to the mountains, spend money to stay overnight, and freeze their asses off (including her wedding party) because she’s too fat to be somewhere above 50 degrees and won’t consider any options besides what she wants.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

She wants everyone to have to drive hours to the mountains, spend money to stay overnight, and freeze their asses off (including her wedding party) because she’s too fat to be somewhere above 50 degrees and won’t consider any options besides what she wants.

That's one thing many brides do that chaps my butt. Instead of blowing all kinds of  $$$ on a destination wedding,  why not get married in your local church/synagogue/etc and spend all that money on a hellacious party that your  GUESTS  will enjoy? When the hubs and I married,  we had a small wedding in our church. I picked the reception venue (a high end club) within walking distance (2 blocks) of the church. Of course the weather bit me in the ass --- it snowed like a bitch and people had to walk in the snow.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't mind sun spots but not a beach person either. Sand fleas and other critters seem to love me.  I guess I didn't really understand the difference between rolling around on the beach all 'senshus' and having a wedding there.  Whit seems to love the beach so I didn't understand her resistance to having a quick ceremony on one.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don’t think the minions see each other a lot outside of filming. They may have seen each other a bit more earlier in the show but I think for the most part they have their own lives and see each other occasionally, as would be typical of long term friends with different lives now. I think they continue with the show for the paycheck but also I think because they’ve been friends with Whitney for a long time and some loyalty comes with that, even when you know it’s not a great relationship. I also suspect that TLC has them under contract, either by season or by multiple season, where by if they bail without consent from TLC there could be ramifications. I think Buddy was genuinely pissed off but he can’t bail because TLC needs him for the ‘got dumped and now my best friend is living with me during the pandemic’ story line. And yes - he needs the money

Tal is gay, in his mid/late 30's, in recovery, in a long term serious relationship, is a full-time social worker, lives in a different city. I don't believe they spend any meaningful time together outside of this show.

• Love 15
On 11/8/2020 at 4:07 PM, 3girlsforus said:

l. I find it funny that she always talks about how she pushes herself - but she means crap like ‘climbing over the log when she could just walk around it’ instead of pushing herself to get a job or learn a skill or lose weight or really anything useful. 

That sums her up quite nicely!

On 11/9/2020 at 1:52 PM, Persnickety1 said:

Chase agreed, TLC agreed, and only Whitney was left in the dark clutching her sad sack of delusion.  

You kill me!!!   I am still laughing over Casa Persnickety.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kid said:

That sums her up quite nicely!

You kill me!!!   I am still laughing over Casa Persnickety.

Hell, you should have heard us chortling here at Casa Persnickety last night watching this episode.  😂

I admit to loving seeing this asshole, smug and haughty, knowing that karma is coming for her.  

We pointed and laughed until we had stomachaches.  But not this kind of stomachache.  😄 

wthore1.gif

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Whitney's betrothed is in her phone as Chase Severino. She seems the type to have her fiance listed with some stupid cutesy name. Even Buddy gets Boo Bear.

Seems more like a business contact.

Ryan's look when they come down off that tower says "dude, how much are they paying you for this".

Edited by Brooklynista
  • LOL 12
  • Love 5

Chase has zero chemistry with Whitney. He’s so much more conventionally attractive than she is, although having her own TV show might make her sexier. I wonder if they were having sex? Whitney seems flexible and athletic, but you wonder when 334 pounds and 36 years is going to catch up with her. Would be tough for Chase when he has 40 good years ahead and Whitney might only have 15. Not sure it’s normal for a 75 year old man to screen his 36 year old daughters dates. Sounds like a Dr Phil show.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Concerned said:

Chase has zero chemistry with Whitney. He’s so much more conventionally attractive than she is, although having her own TV show might make her sexier. I wonder if they were having sex? Whitney seems flexible and athletic, but you wonder when 334 pounds and 36 years is going to catch up with her. Would be tough for Chase when he has 40 good years ahead and Whitney might only have 15. Not sure it’s normal for a 75 year old man to screen his 36 year old daughters dates. Sounds like a Dr Phil show.

I caught something in last night's episode about him not being a fan of sex before marriage.  I found that, well, interesting, especially when he clearly knocked up his real girlfriend while filming this shitshow.  

Also, I think he intentionally made himself busy 24/7 with the bar and his other work so he could avoid having to even spend any nights at her place.  Combined with that hotel room sharing in Paris, it's one of those things that make you go hmmmm.  

I think he might have played the role of fiance but, by being crafty, never gave her any sexy time.  

(At least I hope he didn't, since he did have a real-life girlfriend when he was filming this sideshow.)

Edited by Persnickety1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

Watching these 2 "lovebirds" is uncomfortable on one level, yet quite hilarious too.  Geez,  LOOK at them.....have you ever seen an odder couple?   Chase, the terrible actor that he is, looks extremely embarrassed just being seen in public with her, and nauseated being alone with her.  Did he take the job on a dare?  Couldn't they hire somebody that could work up a little more enthusiasm than Chase?  She's not a stupid woman, we know this is contrived and at least loosely scripted, so she's totally involved in all the meetings,  so even though she knows it isn't real, I think she's convinced herself she really COULD attract a young cool bro like Chase. 🤣🤣🤣🤣.   Yeah, me too Whitney.   

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I caught something in last night's episode about him not being a fan of sex before marriage.  I found that, well, interesting, especially when he clearly knocked up his real girlfriend while filming this shitshow.  

Also, I think he intentionally made himself busy 24/7 with the bar and his other work so he could avoid having to even spend any nights at her place.  Combined with that hotel room sharing in Paris, it's one of those things that make you go hmmmm.  

I think he might have played the role of fiance but, by being craft, never gave her any sexy time.  

(At least I hope he didn't, since he did have a real-life girlfriend when he was filming this sideshow.)

It’s a massive red flag if a guy Chases age says he doesn’t believe in sex before marriage.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Concerned said:

It’s a massive red flag if a guy Chases age says he doesn’t believe in sex before marriage.

Well hello real life...GF got preggers before marriage. Busted!  Can't LOL enough for this one!!

At least he seems to be doing the right thing now...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 8
52 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Ain’t that somethin’ to chew on!!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Whitney's betrothed is in her phone as Chase Severino. She seems the type to have her fiance listed with some stupid cutesy name. Even Buddy gets Boo Bear.

Huh, I hadn't noticed that, but it is weird. Maybe I'm weird but do many people refer to their SO or spouse by their full name instead of just first name or whatever pet name something like a phone entry? My husband called me by my first name in the house like 6 months ago and I remember thing, wow, what's up with that? I don't even remember the last time he didn't call me by his pet name for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Kid said:

Ain’t that somethin’ to chew on!!!!

I also noted last season, during the "romantic" interlude at the yurt, both were discussing the heat, Whitney, as per her usual, was huffing, puffing, and threatening to blow the yurt down sweating buckets.  

Fast forward to what was presumably supposed to be post-coital cuddling, and, nope, not even a single bead of sweat on either of them.  

Basking in the afterglow, my ass.  Even the hairs on the backs of their necks were perfectly dry (I could discern this because of the gratuitous amount of closeups production insisted on giving us, ugh).  

Thus, I will continue with my belief that Chase never gave up the hot beef injection to Whitney.  Maybe he told her he was camera shy and had performance anxiety during filming, then just avoided her like the plague when the cameras weren't rolling.  

Yup, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  😄  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3
On 11/8/2020 at 5:07 PM, 3girlsforus said:

shit. I admit I FF’d through a lot because it’s just so awful

Same, except I was playing a board game with my husband and barely paying attention, until it filtered through my peripheral hearing when Whitney was nosing around Heather and Buddy repeatedly and asking over and over what their conversation was on the car ride up, and Heather finally said that Buddy asked Heather if she wanted “to get [her]” eighth step on,” I saw red.  

The eighth step is making the list of people whom one has harmed and become willing to make amends to them all and the ninth step is to “make direct amends...whenever possible...”.  I’m not even in AA and I know that.  Seinfeld didn’t screw it up.  Buddy has made his “recovery” his storyline for, what, three seasons now, whining about “blow” and the bars at which he used to do “blow” and how he’s been feeling “squirrelly” and he had to move to Charleston, SC to get away from people, places and things that reminded him so much of his fucking “blow”  and I’m assuming he thinks this program saved his life, or at least it saved his wallet, because he has been making these amends for two seasons now, and he can’t be bothered to know the difference between the eighth and ninth step?!?!

This is just a microcosm of how stupid, lazy and worthless all of these people are.  I’m a lawyer.  I am responsible for knowing that the First Amendment forbids Congress from making a law infringing on free speech and the Third Amendment prohibits Congress from quartering soldiers.  The day I mess those two up is the day my license should be taken away.  Buddy is a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.  Learn the fucking steps, Bud.  It’s not like you have anything else to do. 

Heather put on so much weight I thought she was Ashley.  

If this relationship with Chase was real—HA!!—or normal, Whitney would move her fat ass to Wilmington to be with Chase, where he is simultaneously working construction and managing a bar into which he is heavily invested (each of which are full-time jobs, so I am 100% convinced Chase is lying about this, but if it were true).  Whitney already moved from Greensboro to Charlotte last season.  There is no reason she can’t move to Wilmington to be with her fiancé if this had any semblance of truth to it.  

While I’m on a rant, are we still really asking parents if we have permission to marry their daughters??  I get old-fashioned values—hell, I have old fashioned values—but I don’t think I was my dad’s property prior to my husband putting a ring on it.  While my husband and I were watching this and ignoring it, I said, “oh, he just said he wants her dad’s blessing.  I can see that.”  And then Chase changed it back right away to saying he felt foolish for not asking Glen’s “permission.”  What the fuck?

Don’t ask permission for something that you’re not prepared to go along with.  Unless a man is willing to walk away if the father doesn’t give permission, why are men still asking?  And, what about the mother’s permission?  And why aren’t women tasked with asking the permission of her fiancé’s parents too?  The whole thing is grossly antiquated.  It’s just a pet peeve of mine, kind of like someone in AA for years and making a living off of it as a storyline for a third rate reality TV show and mixing up two of the the twelve steps. 

There was *one* bright spot in the episode for me, and that was when Ryan said that he is going to put this “bruh” thing to bed, because it’s getting played out.  Yes, times a thousand.  If the most creative thing someone can say against you is that you’re a “bruh,” maybe you ain’t doing so bad.  

Buddy, the heifer said she didn’t want you to touch her anymore, so why you helping her over the log?  I’d never so much as cast Whitney another glance if I had been let off the hook like that.  

I don’t mind that Whitney is morbidly obese and she has a show about being fat.  Just don’t treat it as if it’s positive or normal or healthy, as if fat and thin were just subjective and/or social constructs, as if being obese doesn’t limit quality of life and longevity.  Because I think stress kills worse than being fat, and I don’t shun shows about people being stressed out.  But just because I watch a show about it doesn’t mean I don’t think binge eating, stress, smoking, domestic violence, etc is alright.  What I mind is that everyone on that show is complicit in celebrating one of the seven deadly sins, and they’re acting like they’re liberating people who are already at-risk.  Perfect.

And just because I think being fat is unhealthy doesn’t mean I don’t think that she can’t live a fabulous life despite her fat, which is why I originally tuned in, but Whitney’s life is so not fabulous.  As people said up thread, stop trying to climb a log or a bog or whatever the fuck she was mucking around in this episode (and before, as they flashed back to last season).  Get a fucking job.  She’s really smart.  Get an awesome job at a fashion house or in PR or whatever she did in Korea, make bank, have a fabulous haute couture wardrobe at 350+ lbs, eat gourmet food, have some real friends, talk art, talk politics, go on real trips as a fat woman and I will watch (with fascination, not because I approve of the lifestyle).  But this?  This is just a bunch of bullshit.  

• Love 24
1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Buddy has made his “recovery” his storyline for, what, three seasons now, whining about “blow” and the bars at which he used to do “blow” and how he’s been feeling “squirrelly” and he had to move to Charleston, SC to get away from people, places and things that reminded him so much of his fucking “blow”

I honestly do not believe Buddy ever had a powdered cocaine addiction. As someone that works in social services and in a previous, much more glamorous life, snorted a LOT of cocaine as well as knowing a large number of people that did the same, it's statistically speaking a pretty rare addiction that requires a LOT more money to sustain that Buddy ever had.

As a gateway addiction? Sure, lots of people start off with snorting powdered cocaine and move into injecting coke or smoking crack, or often, doing meth, it certainly fuels alcohol addiction, all sorts of life problems, but an actual addiction to snorting cocaine? Yeah, I don't believe it for a second. I absolutely believe Buddy was a hardcore alcoholic and probably snorted cocaine on occasion, but the way he says it, it's like almost wanting to brag as it is largely seen as a kind of glamorous and expensive form of the drug more associated with high functioning people and not fat barely employed deadbeat alcoholics. Snorting cocaine is just, a stupidly poor/expensive delivery mechanism if you are trying to be high on cocaine and not just using it socially in amounts that allow you to party, which is what Buddy keeps suggesting he was doing, and, again, very rare for people that are actually strongly addicted to cocaine.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Also, I think he intentionally made himself busy 24/7 with the bar and his other work so he could avoid having to even spend any nights at her place. 

Sounds to me like he was  "busying" himself with cheating and making a baby. It's pretty obvious this is why he had no intention of moving in with her. 

I don't think I'm going to be able to handle the break up and BooBear running to her rescue and hunkering down with her to save the day during the pandemic. Will he be allowed to start touching her again? Will she lay in his lap and cry while he strokes her hair? Oh, god, please no. 

I had to laugh at Whit whispering to her buds in the hot tub not to talk about wedding plans in front of Chase because it makes him uncomfortable then very next morning she proceeds to constantly talk about wedding plans. Beach or mountains and arguing over venue? Place cards asking her friends to be in the wedding in front of Chase and Ryan? When will he ask daddy for her hand in marriage? 

Whit's mom annoys me but she has Whit's number. She said in her confessional that Whit is the most opinionated person she has ever known and she needs to let Chase have a say in the relationship. Very telling statement. Maybe this is why Whit can't keep a man. She's an overbearing know it all shrew. 

Fun observation: When they were doing their outdoor jump the creek exercise I heard Whit yell "Boo Bear!!!!" at Buddy. Oops, she forgot she said she wouldn't call him that anymore. The editors really do their best to show us what a fake she is. They deserve an Emmy for daring to keep these little faux pas in the episodes. You have to listen carefully but they are there.  They are subtle little digs at her pretentious ass but they are good.

Another fun observation:  When Whit and Chase arrived to the cabin and she went over to Ashley to give her a hug she said Oh, your red hair, I love it! Then she said I haven't seen you in.......weeks! Oops again, Whit. It's as if she was going to say I haven't seen you in months but caught herself. Yeah, close friends, sure.  Again, kudo's to the editors for showing what a farce she is.  I love them for hating her. It makes this shit show worth watching. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Same, except I was playing a board game with my husband and barely paying attention, until it filtered through my peripheral hearing when Whitney was nosing around Heather and Buddy repeatedly and asking over and over what their conversation was on the car ride up, and Heather finally said that Buddy asked Heather if she wanted “to get [her]” eighth step on,” I saw red.  

The eighth step is making the list of people whom one has harmed and become willing to make amends to them all and the ninth step is to “make direct amends...whenever possible...”.  I’m not even in AA and I know that.  Seinfeld didn’t screw it up.  Buddy has made his “recovery” his storyline for, what, three seasons now, whining about “blow” and the bars at which he used to do “blow” and how he’s been feeling “squirrelly” and he had to move to Charleston, SC to get away from people, places and things that reminded him so much of his fucking “blow”  and I’m assuming he thinks this program saved his life, or at least it saved his wallet, because he has been making these amends for two seasons now, and he can’t be bothered to know the difference between the eighth and ninth step?!?!

This is just a microcosm of how stupid, lazy and worthless all of these people are.  I’m a lawyer.  I am responsible for knowing that the First Amendment forbids Congress from making a law infringing on free speech and the Third Amendment prohibits Congress from quartering soldiers.  The day I mess those two up is the day my license should be taken away.  Buddy is a recovering alcoholic/drug addict.  Learn the fucking steps, Bud.  It’s not like you have anything else to do. 

Heather put on so much weight I thought she was Ashley.  

If this relationship with Chase was real—HA!!—or normal, Whitney would move her fat ass to Wilmington to be with Chase, where he is simultaneously working construction and managing a bar into which he is heavily invested (each of which are full-time jobs, so I am 100% convinced Chase is lying about this, but if it were true).  Whitney already moved from Greensboro to Charlotte last season.  There is no reason she can’t move to Wilmington to be with her fiancé if this had any semblance of truth to it.  

While I’m on a rant, are we still really asking parents if we have permission to marry their daughters??  I get old-fashioned values—hell, I have old fashioned values—but I don’t think I was my dad’s property prior to my husband putting a ring on it.  While my husband and I were watching this and ignoring it, I said, “oh, he just said he wants her dad’s blessing.  I can see that.”  And then Chase changed it back right away to saying he felt foolish for not asking Glen’s “permission.”  What the fuck?

Don’t ask permission for something that you’re not prepared to go along with.  Unless a man is willing to walk away if the father doesn’t give permission, why are men still asking?  And, what about the mother’s permission?  And why aren’t women tasked with asking the permission of her fiancé’s parents too?  The whole thing is grossly antiquated.  It’s just a pet peeve of mine, kind of like someone in AA for years and making a living off of it as a storyline for a third rate reality TV show and mixing up two of the the twelve steps. 

There was *one* bright spot in the episode for me, and that was when Ryan said that he is going to put this “bruh” thing to bed, because it’s getting played out.  Yes, times a thousand.  If the most creative thing someone can say against you is that you’re a “bruh,” maybe you ain’t doing so bad.  

Buddy, the heifer said she didn’t want you to touch her anymore, so why you helping her over the log?  I’d never so much as cast Whitney another glance if I had been let off the hook like that.  

I don’t mind that Whitney is morbidly obese and she has a show about being fat.  Just don’t treat it as if it’s positive or normal or healthy, as if fat and thin were just subjective and/or social constructs, as if being obese doesn’t limit quality of life and longevity.  Because I think stress kills worse than being fat, and I don’t shun shows about people being stressed out.  But just because I watch a show about it doesn’t mean I don’t think binge eating, stress, smoking, domestic violence, etc is alright.  What I mind is that everyone on that show is complicit in celebrating one of the seven deadly sins, and they’re acting like they’re liberating people who are already at-risk.  Perfect.

And just because I think being fat is unhealthy doesn’t mean I don’t think that she can’t live a fabulous life despite her fat, which is why I originally tuned in, but Whitney’s life is so not fabulous.  As people said up thread, stop trying to climb a log or a bog or whatever the fuck she was mucking around in this episode (and before, as they flashed back to last season).  Get a fucking job.  She’s really smart.  Get an awesome job at a fashion house or in PR or whatever she did in Korea, make bank, have a fabulous haute couture wardrobe at 350+ lbs, eat gourmet food, have some real friends, talk art, talk politics, go on real trips as a fat woman and I will watch (with fascination, not because I approve of the lifestyle).  But this?  This is just a bunch of bullshit.  

As a person who's had disordered eating and exercise issues her whole life, it would be much more interesting to me to see her authentic struggle than it is to watch her denial.  I applaud the idea of self-acceptance, but in Whitney's case, she doesn't really accept herself, she enables herself.

• Love 20
8 hours ago, John M said:

I honestly do not believe Buddy ever had a powdered cocaine addiction. As someone that works in social services and in a previous, much more glamorous life, snorted a LOT of cocaine as well as knowing a large number of people that did the same, it's statistically speaking a pretty rare addiction that requires a LOT more money to sustain that Buddy ever had.

As a gateway addiction? Sure, lots of people start off with snorting powdered cocaine and move into injecting coke or smoking crack, or often, doing meth, it certainly fuels alcohol addiction, all sorts of life problems, but an actual addiction to snorting cocaine? Yeah, I don't believe it for a second. I absolutely believe Buddy was a hardcore alcoholic and probably snorted cocaine on occasion, but the way he says it, it's like almost wanting to brag as it is largely seen as a kind of glamorous and expensive form of the drug more associated with high functioning people and not fat barely employed deadbeat alcoholics. Snorting cocaine is just, a stupidly poor/expensive delivery mechanism if you are trying to be high on cocaine and not just using it socially in amounts that allow you to party, which is what Buddy keeps suggesting he was doing, and, again, very rare for people that are actually strongly addicted to cocaine.

This. It was probably WAY more alcohol than anything else--look how tubby he was. Every person I've seen become addicted to cocaine became horrifically skinny and spent every dime they made on the stuff (the drug was popular amongst dancers many years ago). 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

This. It was probably WAY more alcohol than anything else--look how tubby he was. Every person I've seen become addicted to cocaine became horrifically skinny and spent every dime they made on the stuff

I agree, he had alcohol bloat and the way he used to slur his words when he was living at Whit's and passing out on her couch didn't look like drugs to me. Coke and Meth users are always skinny, BooBear stayed fat consistently. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, John M said:

I absolutely believe Buddy was a hardcore alcoholic and probably snorted cocaine on occasion, but the way he says it, it's like almost wanting to brag as it is largely seen as a kind of glamorous and expensive form of the drug more associated with high functioning people and not fat barely employed deadbeat alcoholics.

^^^ This here is perfection; something I couldn’t find a way to verbalize, but I co-sign it, also as a former dabbler in the, ahem, Colombian Whites.  In the world where I came up, there was a glamour, or a chicness, to powered cocaine and mutterings about whether people want to go somewhere to party, that didn’t exist on the same strata as people downing two dozen Bud Lites and taking bong hits at someone’s filthy apartment.  

For Buddy, it was probably much more of the latter, but he pretends it’s the former to...impress people?  Go figure.  I totally agree that if Buddy was getting high on hard drugs, it was likely meth, and then maybe crack, but those drugs don’t tell the same story as the high-functioning executive or flight attendant, or beautiful party-goers, those drugs make people conjure...Buddy.  It’s actually kind of funny if you think about the fact that the guy is in recovery for something he’s probably never had a problem with (though I do think he was an extremely heavy drinker), but I think everyone on this show (with the exception of Tal and Todd) is a liar, and even the non-liars will fake scenes, which doesn’t sit right with me, so it’s par for the course.

I thought AA was supposed to be a system where people were able to find recovery through a process of being brutally honest with themselves.  I also heard that in AA, they say it’s a disease of attitudes, you’re only as sick as your secrets, etc.  It’s not my ideology—it’s his ideology—but if Buddy is this loud, proud recovering addict, and he’s been clean and sober for years now, save for that one slip-up (if we buy the bill of goods he’s selling), Buddy should have progressed more.  He should be able to look people in the eye and convey a clear, concise thought by this point.  If a woman—even a woman as heinous as Whitney—tells him not to touch her, he should not have 20 questions about that.  He should know how having a “fiancé” is a game-changer, or at least pretend to for the show.  

(I know Whitney is a hypocritical, attention-seeking bitch, and Buddy had every right to tell Whit that she touches him as a counterpoint so that they could have a conversation where clear boundaries are drawn; that’s fine.  What sat right with me not at all was when Whitney told Buddy he couldn’t grab her and shove her onto his lap as part of a greeting, and that was met with a pause, a swipe of the beard, and then words of protest.  If she doesn’t like it and she’s engaged, keep her off your fucking lap, you creep.  If not for you, if not for her, if not for Chase, do it for the sake of the damned furniture). 

Very rarely is an alcoholic—especially one as young as Buddy—still so fucked up at this stage of the game to the point where he is always squirming, glancing around, mumbling through his beard, scratching himself under the collar and appearing generally uncomfortable, and so damned out of shape.  Buddy always looks like his next breath is going to be his last.  A lot of it probably just has to do with a vast over intake of greasy food and no direction in life, which is even less glamorous than hitting the whiskey too hard.  

I wish they’d scrap him, as he is too depressing to watch.  As much as a pill as she is, at least Whitney expresses some joie de vivre every now and again, whereas Buddy is in a perpetual state of looking like he wants someone to shoot him and put him out of his misery like Old Yeller.  

The law of social media desperation states that, if Buddy is gone, some slightly fitter, slightly less suicidal, slightly less self-loathing guy will come out of the woodwork to do Buddy’s job as best-friend-cum-crosser-of-the-fleshhold.  Ok, I’m about to go lose my breakfast.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 7