Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Wedding Bells are Ringing

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Chase is an adult, so I have no idea why he would have to address Glen formally, when Glen gets to call Chase by his (fake) first name. 

Respect for your elders? Seriously,  even though I am a "seasoned citizen," i wouldn't  dream of calling someone 15 years older than me by their first name,  unless they invited me to. 

• Love 6

So I have a few random thoughts...

why did whitney have to jump the creek? There was a little bridge it looked like 3 feet from where they were. Why does she insist on making such a spectacle of herself and ruining her shoes at the same time?

Why did she “need” to climb over the log? Heck, I’m a halfway decently fit person and if I can’t get my leg over the log, I would just walk around it instead of having someone who I just told to stop touching me give me a boost from behind. 

What did buddy do that caused her to be done? Seems like she was showing her true colors. 

Chase would rather be anywhere but in a house in the mountains with those people. They act like a juvenile high school clique and don’t allow anyone new in. I’m about the same age as these people, and if different groups of friends get together, we welcome each other. And why is Ryan the only friend of chase we’ve ever seen? 

And lastly, why am I still watching this show??

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Respect for your elders? Seriously,  even though I am a "seasoned citizen," i wouldn't  dream of calling someone 15 years older than me by their first name,  unless they invited me to. 

People aren't entitled to be addressed by fake honorifics just because the are older. It's great for teaching kids their place in the world or recognizing genuine achievements in our related professional fields, like on the rare occasion I personally interact with our CEO I call her by her first name, I refer to our medical director as Dr. X.

Sorry, but no, my in-laws are professionally, educationally and socially my peers, I ever never called them Mr & Mrs. X nor have they ever expected me to. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FurBabyMama said:

So I have a few random thoughts...

why did whitney have to jump the creek? There was a little bridge it looked like 3 feet from where they were. Why does she insist on making such a spectacle of herself and ruining her shoes at the same time?

Why did she “need” to climb over the log? Heck, I’m a halfway decently fit person and if I can’t get my leg over the log, I would just walk around it instead of having someone who I just told to stop touching me give me a boost from behind. 

What did buddy do that caused her to be done? Seems like she was showing her true colors. 

Chase would rather be anywhere but in a house in the mountains with those people. They act like a juvenile high school clique and don’t allow anyone new in. I’m about the same age as these people, and if different groups of friends get together, we welcome each other. And why is Ryan the only friend of chase we’ve ever seen? 

And lastly, why am I still watching this show??

I wondered why she didn't just sit her ample ass on the log and then swing her legs over one at a time.

Instead, she opted to mount it and writhe around like a sex-starved water buffalo.  

I'm still hoping she got an ass and upper thighs full of slivers.  😄 

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Is calling people older than you Mr./Mrs. still a necessary sign of respect post-adolescence? I'm 30, and it seems very weird to have to call 45 year olds Mr./Mrs. unless it is a professional environment or they have some kind of power/influence I'm showing deference to. For casual acquaintances I wouldn't think twice about using their first name if they were introduced with a full name (i.e, "This is John Smith. Hi John"). 

For a potential mother/father-in-law, I'd probably use it just to be safe, although it seems more likely that partners my age would tell me not to as it would seem awkwardly formal. If I introduced someone to my parents I wouldn't expect them to call them Mr./Mrs, although my family is pretty casual overall. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, alabetser said:

Is calling people older than you Mr./Mrs. still a necessary sign of respect post-adolescence? I'm 30, and it seems very weird to have to call 45 year olds Mr./Mrs. unless it is a professional environment or they have some kind of power/influence I'm showing deference to. For casual acquaintances I wouldn't think twice about using their first name if they were introduced with a full name (i.e, "This is John Smith. Hi John"). 

For a potential mother/father-in-law, I'd probably use it just to be safe, although it seems more likely that partners my age would tell me not to as it would seem awkwardly formal. If I introduced someone to my parents I wouldn't expect them to call them Mr./Mrs, although my family is pretty casual overall. 

Usually,  unless it's a business relationship,  if you're introduced to someone ("Alabaster, this is Susan Twoshoes. Ms. Twoshoes, this is Alabaster Brown.") most people who don't have a stick up their butt will say "Oh, please, call me Susie. " 

And I see that autocorrupt changed your name. Sorry about that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

I hate-watch this show just about as passionately as every show in the Teen Mom franchise.  I loathe both shows and their subjects equally, but the difference with this one is that there are no tiny children and vulnerable preteens involved, so my give-a-shit only goes so far.  Everyone is grown and free to make all of the grievous, life-ruining errors their hearts desire.  However . . .

First, Whitney has lost no weight.  The comparisons between this show and Ruby (anyone remember that?) are piling up.  I have a weight issue myself, so believe me when I say that there is no body shame going on here, but I thought the whole point of this show was to follow Whitney's journey to improved health.  Instead, we're stuck watching her and a bunch of her utterly boring "friends" hang out, bicker, and be forced to focus all of their energy on Whitney, who still sucks all of the air out of every room she enters.  None of them seem to particularly like Whitney, much less each other.  Todd has always oh-so-delicately shaded her at every opportunity, but it's really bad now.  I would be devastated to know that my friends laughed at me behind my back and thought so poorly of me.

The scene in the hot tub was like something out of a middle school boy-girl party.  "Stop touching me!"  "You're making Chase jealous!"  "Don't be mean to my boyfriend!"  Whitney was absolutely glowing at the thought of Chase and Buddy "battling" over her.  These people are absolutely repugnant.  The hike in the woods is something that Whitney should not have attempted, especially not with so many other people.  When you know that you're not physically up to something, the polite thing to do is to allow others to go ahead without you so that you're not a burden to everyone else.  This is especially true when you need so much assistance from others just to move.  Might want to speak to people a little more nicely when you know you're going to need them to lug your body out of a mudhole.

P.S. Buddy, cutting back on substance use enough to kinda function is not sobriety.  I would stake my next two paychecks on the fact that you are not sober. 

Typical Whitney--taking on an activity with an unrealistic view of how she will fare at it and failing miserably. But yet, her life is "fabulous"? This woman has serious denial issues because it's this ^^ time and time again, over and over. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, John M said:

They aren't joining a family, they are creating a new family.

This is a great point about newlyweds.  Not to get too biographical, but if I had realized that at the time I got married, it would have saved me a lot of confusion.  My mother-in-law seems to have this attitude that since she and I took the last name of the family, we are there as honored guests, and it is a privilege to be included in their family’s traditions.  🤮 This is why my husband and I are spending a nice, cozy Thanksgiving with just our immediate family!

12 hours ago, alabetser said:

Is calling people older than you Mr./Mrs. still a necessary sign of respect post-adolescence? I'm 30, and it seems very weird to have to call 45 year olds Mr./Mrs...For a potential mother/father-in-law, I'd probably use it just to be safe

That’s a great question whether it’s a sign of respect.  I actually find it rather condescending.  Kids calling people “mister and misses,” sure, because there is a hierarchy between kids and adults.  But if I’m grown, why should I defer to someone 15 years older than me, but not 14?  And how do I know their ages for a fact?  Do I just call the people who look 15 years older than me “misses,” only to find out this is a woman who’s had a hard life and is my age? Awk-ward!  I give respect based on merit, not how long someone has managed to stay alive on this planet.  

I guess I work in a strange field—the highest degree in my field is a JD—once you get that, you can practice any kind of law, you can teach law, you can argue before the US Supreme Court, so I’m not about to walk into my office and call my peers—even if they are 80–“Mister” unless they want to call me “misses.”  I’ve been on the earth less than half the amount of time as some of my colleagues, yet I’m licensed to practice law in twice as many states as them...if anything, isn’t there an argument they should address me with reverence?  (Not that I’d ever push for this, or want it, but it’s just a way to analogize how ridiculous the whole thing is to me).  

To bring it back to the show, not that it looks like these two will be exchanging vows anytime soon, but it just goes to show that they didn’t put thought into any of this.  And they’re not young either (wonder if Chase still thinks he’s too young to have a baby 🤣😅😂).  I think Chase or Cody or whatever the hell his name is, is a wily, no-good trickster of a man, but I don’t think he was wrong to call Glen “Glen” when they met.  I just think it’s a slippery slope if you start off with “Mr Thore” and he never corrects you.  So...20 years from now, if they’ve got kids and Chase is middle aged with grey hair his damned self, he is calling Glen and Babs “Mr and Mrs Thore”?  Super strange to me, but to each his own.  

And, let’s face it, the titles/honorifics would be the least of their problems, had this train-wreck pulled into the station.  

Edited by LibertarianSlut
Clarity
  • Love 5
On 11/10/2020 at 9:25 PM, Concerned said:

It’s a massive red flag if a guy Chases age says he doesn’t believe in sex before marriage.

My best male friend was still a virgin at 27. He was good looking and worked for NASA. He was a late bloomer, though. Didn't date in high school or college. Then when he did finally get a girlfriend SHE was very religious and wanted to wait until marriage. They were engaged for 2 years and then she called it off. But...yeah. At 27 he wasn't saving himself for marriage-his virginity was hanging over his head like a rock and he just wanted out of it. It's not like he was excited about keeping that going or that he wanted to. (Yours truly took care of that for him. I'm a humanitarian at heart. 😉 )

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

What was she wearing on the hike? That was the strangest workout outfit I think I've ever seen, it was like a blue onesie? Well, I guess at least for once she's wearing more than just a sports bra and leggings lol.

I can't stand how bossy she is, seems like every scene she was telling people what to do or what she wanted to do and everyone has to go along with it. Buddy's right about how hypocritical she is, she's always all over people (usually in an inappropriate manner) yet reprimands him for touching her (in front of everyone, no less). And of course, here we go with the obnoxious screaming when she gets her shoe stuck. Everything must be over the top with her, she just always needs all the attention.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I almost forgot her stupid talking head comment - ‘I cant’ believe this is happening to me again’ in reference to her attempt to jump the creek instead of crossing on the ground just 10 feet away. I have no idea what she can’t believe it’s happening again. She’s still fat. She’s still unable to jump. She’s still an attention-seeking whore. She’s still an idiot. Why wouldn’t the same scenario result in the same outcome???//

• LOL 16
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, sara1025 said:

What was she wearing on the hike? That was the strangest workout outfit I think I've ever seen, it was like a blue onesie? Well, I guess at least for once she's wearing more than just a sports bra and leggings lol.

I can't stand how bossy she is, seems like every scene she was telling people what to do or what she wanted to do and everyone has to go along with it. Buddy's right about how hypocritical she is, she's always all over people (usually in an inappropriate manner) yet reprimands him for touching her (in front of everyone, no less). And of course, here we go with the obnoxious screaming when she gets her shoe stuck. Everything must be over the top with her, she just always needs all the attention.

She's an asshole.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I almost forgot her stupid talking head comment - ‘I cant’ believe this is happening to me again’ in reference to her attempt to jump the creek instead of crossing on the ground just 10 feet away. I have no idea what she can’t believe it’s happening again. She’s still fat. She’s still unable to jump. She’s still an attention-seeking whore. She’s still an idiot. Why wouldn’t the same scenario result in the same outcome???//

I ❤️ you.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

But don’t you remember when she jumped up on that 2 inch step at the gym with Jessica?   Clearly she’s ready for hurdling creeks and logs!

• LOL 10
7 hours ago, sara1025 said:

And draped across poor Tal while she said it!  I wonder if she threatens them with not being on "her show" when they displease her off-camera.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, princelina said:

And draped across poor Tal while she said it!  I wonder if she threatens them with not being on "her show" when they displease her off-camera.

I would not be the least surprised if that were true. The crack in her facade was that tirade at Buddy...

• Love 6
13 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I guess I work in a strange field—the highest degree in my field is a JD—once you get that, you can practice any kind of law, you can teach law, you can argue before the US Supreme Court, so I’m not about to walk into my office and call my peers—even if they are 80–“Mister” unless they want to call me “misses.”  I’ve been on the earth less than half the amount of time as some of my colleagues, yet I’m licensed to practice law in twice as many states as them...if anything, isn’t there an argument they should address me with reverence?  (Not that I’d ever push for this, or want it, but it’s just a way to analogize how ridiculous the whole thing is to me).   

I have a PhD and work with mostly PhDs as well as doc students. The basic rule in my field is to use "Dr." and the individual's last name until they say, "Oh, please call me [firstname]" or reply with their first name in, say, an email or introduce themselves to you with their first name. The doc students are typically the last to give up addressing people as "Dr." no matter how many times you ask them to call you by your first name.

As a sign of respect, I have always pretty much done the same with those individuals who are at least a generation older than myself. Until I met my in-laws, I called all of my boyfriends' and fiancé's parents "Mr." and "Mrs.," as well as my friends' parents. Some rolled the route of the docs and asked me to call them by their first name, but I called my first fiancé's parents "Mr and Mrs" until I dumped him a few years later. I think that there's a time and a place to show respect, and that just might have been something beaten mentally into Chase and it stuck (unlike most things. apparently!).

• Love 8
On 11/10/2020 at 9:02 PM, Brooklynista said:

Whitney's betrothed is in her phone as Chase Severino. She seems the type to have her fiance listed with some stupid cutesy name. Even Buddy gets Boo Bear.

Seems more like a business contact.

Ryan's look when they come down off that tower says "dude, how much are they paying you for this".

On 11/10/2020 at 10:17 PM, John M said:

Huh, I hadn't noticed that, but it is weird. Maybe I'm weird but do many people refer to their SO or spouse by their full name instead of just first name or whatever pet name something like a phone entry? My husband called me by my first name in the house like 6 months ago and I remember thing, wow, what's up with that? I don't even remember the last time he didn't call me by his pet name for me.

Maybe I’m weird, but my partner of 12 years is in my phone under his first and last name. We were friends for a few years before we dated so I think I just entered his first and last name in my cell phone back in 2005 when we first met in grad school and I’ve never edited the name. But I don’t run around the house calling him Mr. Pacey Witter because that would be weird.

Anyway, not trying to dismiss any of these details because this whole torrid love affair is clearly a farce. Just saying the lack of a phone nickname didn’t stand out to me as anything. I’ve mostly been focused on the absolute disdain that Chase seems to have for Twit and her barnacles.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Right? She can't believe--and seems to have forgotten--that she's lugging around 350 lb? Does she somehow think that one day, she's magically going to be able to hop over a log or jump a stream? 

If Whitney had adjusted her diet even a little when this show started--dropping only 20lb a year, she'd be 80lb lighter by now. But no, our Whit loves instant gratification and results and is also delusional. She'd probably rather fly to Mars to feel "lighter" versus try to lose weight the slow way on Earth (not sure the rocket would even make it out of the atmosphere 😆). 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2020 at 9:06 PM, FurBabyMama said:

Chase would rather be anywhere but in a house in the mountains with those people. They act like a juvenile high school clique and don’t allow anyone new in.

This is a perfect description of Whitney and her friends. 

• Love 8
On 11/13/2020 at 11:15 AM, LibertarianSlut said:

Not specifically to quoted poster, but ... I was brought up calling my parent' friends Mr and Mrs Smith. As an adult, I don't feel comfortable enough to call them John and Jane, so we talked and they are Uncle John and Aunt Jane. It works for us, at least. My daughters call them Mr John and Ms Jane, even though my daughters are also adults now.

• Love 4

I don’t exactly get why the crew is exactly so hesitant on letting Ryan and Chase into their gang though I doubt they want to be.  They’re not even cordial and let’s say Ryan has exhibited  this “bro” behavior I have yet to see him show any behavior worse than asshole 1 and 2, Whitney and Buddy.  Chase barely reacts and when he does, he’s been kind or at worst “just there” and we can say this because it’s before he had a baby with his actual gf cheated, so why exclude him from things (although it’s probably a blessing).  They should give up this fabulous nonsense and go back to giving Whitney fake jobs: Circus clown, Carnival barker, pizza delivery gal, life coach (for my own amusement).

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 5

I hate that show. I will not watch it. Sorry but she is so overweight she is repulsive. I don't believe in encouraging someone in their destructive behavior.  Her drug of choice is anything that makes her fat. I'm not against anyone who is overweight, but there is a limit.

• Love 4
On 11/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, Irate Panda said:

I don’t exactly get why the crew is exactly so hesitant on letting Ryan and Chase into their gang though I doubt they want to be.  They’re not even cordial and let’s say Ryan has exhibited  this “bro” behavior I have yet to see him show any behavior worse than asshole 1 and 2, Whitney and Buddy.  Chase barely reacts and when he does, he’s been kind or at worst “just there” and we can say this because it’s before he had a baby with his actual gf cheated, so why exclude him from things (although it’s probably a blessing).  They should give up this fabulous nonsense and go back to giving Whitney fake jobs: Circus clown, Carnival barker, pizza delivery gal, life coach (for my own amusement).

I agree totally!  Chase has never been anything but a lump for Whitney to "be in love with" but Ryan has always seemed nice enough and pleasant and I don't understand the hate for him so I assume it is "storyline" related.  As far as the storyline goes - he met Whit on a dating app and whilst they realized they didn't like each other "that way" they did have the fitness thing in common so they decided to start up a business.  In real life I assume they got together and decided to start their business - maybe from an app, and maybe Ryan approached her with the idea (I don't see her working hard enough to even think of it) but of course I never believed that he'd date a 400 pounder so that was just silly.  He's never done anything rude or nasty that I can remember - maybe has been a little awkward like he was with Tal when they first arrived at the house, but I thought they were all shitty to him when he entered the "wedding planning breakfast" and they pretty much told him to get out and mind his business.  Furthermore, I guess I'm too old to even understand what a "bro" is but if it's what my geezer self would call "frat boy behavior" then so what?  They aren't even 30 for starters, and for seconders they only really acted that way when they had the beer pong party at "Whitney's new condo".  Whit's crowd seemed to enjoy it and they're older.  He seemed mature and hard-working in attempting to do their business - I'm not talking about "arranging a meet in Paris" because who knows who was behind that - but he had his exercise routines properly done and ready to go, shopped for ingredients and came up with recipes, etc. while Whitney rolled around with Buddy and told us how busy she was.  Speaking of which - one episode has gone by without her updating us on her "personal training" career - she was doing online classes which could have continued during Covid even if she didn't get to do any actual training work.  Who wants to bet we never hear of it again?  It will just disappear like her baseball team career and lesbianism 😄 

• Love 9
On 11/14/2020 at 5:16 AM, MrsWitter said:

Maybe I’m weird, but my partner of 12 years is in my phone under his first and last name. We were friends for a few years before we dated so I think I just entered his first and last name in my cell phone back in 2005 when we first met in grad school and I’ve never edited the name. But I don’t run around the house calling him Mr. Pacey Witter because that would be weird.

Anyway, not trying to dismiss any of these details because this whole torrid love affair is clearly a farce. Just saying the lack of a phone nickname didn’t stand out to me as anything. I’ve mostly been focused on the absolute disdain that Chase seems to have for Twit and her barnacles.

I wrote previously in another thread long ago I thought it was weird Whitney had Chase listed  as Chase Severino, not because it was weird but because it was weird for Whitney.  I mean her Dad is Dadwee, she calls Buddy Boobear, and this woman has been waiting for this proposal for a 1001 years.  I actually think she’d change it that day and as I mentioned it before I think she’d change it to something weird like BUDDYSNEMESIS, HENCHISDADWEE, CHUBRUBBER4LIFE or something else odd because she sort of is stuck in that adolescent (insults to adolescents) mind frame like when she was calling him boyfriend every 5 seconds or is constantly pawing at men who are not her bf or peeing in hot tubs.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 11/15/2020 at 7:55 PM, princelina said:

[...] Ryan has always seemed nice enough and pleasant and I don't understand the hate for him so I assume it is "storyline" related. 

I'll go you one further and say that Big Whit was lucky Ryan even wanted her in his orbit. I know people think he "used" her, but Nobs Active was his idea, and while yes, she's the celebrity "face" of it, he's the one who brought that paycheck into her life. Now that he's out, it's going to fizzle out just like everything she ever starts. She's too lazy to follow through. On anything! It's such a waste! 

On 11/14/2020 at 2:16 AM, MrsWitter said:

Maybe I’m weird, but my partner of 12 years is in my phone under his first and last name. We were friends for a few years before we dated so I think I just entered his first and last name in my cell phone back in 2005 when we first met in grad school and I’ve never edited the name.

Same, first name + last name. But since he's been married before, I changed my contact info in *his* phone to "Current wife" because it makes me laugh and laugh. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2