Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E04: Adele / H.E.R.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

What did Adele say about looking different and travel during the monologue? My signal cut out.

Because of travel restrictions she had to travel light, so she only brought half of herself, lol

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

The debate cold opening was indeed way better than the other two. Had a feeling Maya would be the moderator.

Yeah, the psychic skit had me laughing while weeping tears of blood. I hate this horrible year. But Adele is hilarious.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 18

She fulfilled her singing quota for tonight. 

I think Carrey finally got our notes about his Biden because it was much improved. Less brimming with rage and wanting to explode but can’t and more folksy, aw shucks and “come on, that’s malarkey!” 

• Love 23
18 minutes ago, saoirse said:

The YMCA song was just inspired! They were all having so much fun! Bowen, Kenan, Beck, Chris, and Andrew (who looked so much like the original cowboy, I wasn't sure it WASN'T the original at first). This show is definitely the best so far this season, which surprises me because it's the fourth in a row, and usually that hits the writing staff hard. Maybe that's what happened for poor Issa last week, they hit the drag, and somehow got reinspired this week.

The YMCA guys were so hot in costume, oh my!  Look how happy Bowen was throughout that!  His face was so joyful!  LOL!!   

How is Maya Rudolph making me laugh so much by just saying "Ok"?  It started by Ego outlining her open relationship and the subsequent threesome and them moving into her house.  THAT is what made Maya's character understand her.  LOL.  It's so funny.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15
17 minutes ago, saoirse said:

The YMCA song was just inspired! They were all having so much fun! Bowen, Kenan, Beck, Chris, and Andrew (who looked so much like the original cowboy, I wasn't sure it WASN'T the original at first).

Are you sure Mikey Day wasn't the cowboy?

• Love 7

H.E.R. is pretty good. Not my usual type of music, but that last song was very soothing, and I always enjoy seeing musical guests I'm not familiar with that I DON'T hate!

Just now, Irlandesa said:

Are you sure Mikey Day wasn't the cowboy?

You may be right - I thought it was Andrew Dismukes, but I could be wrong.

• Love 4

Cold Open: Good call casting Maya as the moderator and not shoehorning Kamala Harris in again. (I feel like if Cecily was around, they would've cast her instead) Yeah, it's weird to see Trump kind of nice. And then he called her Hoda. This was better. You could actually make it weirder than the real one, and yeah, a good chunk of what Trump said here was what he actually said. SIGH. Kate as Giuliani totally tucking it was the best part.

Monologue: Yeah, it's weird that Adele REALLY owes her career to Sarah Palin. Loved the giant swear jar bit. Hands up if this is the first time you've heard Adele speak and it's weirding you out.

Psychic: Ohhh it's set in 2019. That's a premise. And it was another excuse for Kate to be a weird character so I was all for it. I was wondering why Kate didn't read from Ego? But I liked the last minute Jeffrey Toobin joke. Wish there was more to that.

The Haunted Manor: Chad!! I lost it at "oh no, your neck." 

Bachelor: I love that Adele is actually playing herself in this. And here's the excuse to let her sing tonight. Loved that everyone was tired of it. This was great.

I was waiting for someone to say "Hey, can I steal him for a sec?" and I was happy to be rewarded for it.

Trump Addicts for America: Yeah...We'll be happy when Trump is gone, but he'll still living rent free in all of our heads and it'll be weird when he isn't. I will be 100% serious that the IDEA of President Trump is funny, but since he's actually running the country, it's been a nightmare. They didn't even touch that time he served McDonalds to that college basketball team! It would've been hilarious if he wasn't the guy in charge. I felt like this was more of an admission by the writers. They spent the past five years making fun of Trump (and in Update's case, just rolling actual footage of dumb crap he says), and they won't know what to do when he's not the president anymore.

I voted today (took five hours, but I did it), political ads should just disappear as soon as you do.

WU: "Trump Behaved More of a Regular Person" And yeah, we're all Jost and wished Biden actually called Trump out on his BS. It's frustrating, but that's the Democrats for ya. "Five years ago six months ago" is a MOOD. Yeah, Tom Hanks getting Covid is what we got us all to take this seriously, and now they just move sports games once a whole football team catches it. (And, uhh, not one of them mentioned how weird it is that they're back in the studio again) 

Not enough people laughed at the Phil Collins joke. But it was all gold. Loved the Village People bit. THAT was excellent. EVERYONE was just giving their all in that, it just made it so much better.

Grandma: Maya as an old lady is always a winner. Her constant "WHAT"s were the best. Seriously, it was tough to follow Update. It just made me miss my own Grandma (she passed last month).

Africa: I laughed at the same couple that kept passing by in the background. This was a weird sketch. Adele kept breaking, but it just made it better. What was up with her makeup?

Ass Angel Perfume Jeans: They're getting their money's worth out of Maya this week, and I am not complaining at all. I liked this, and how dangerous the jeans actually were.

MUCH better than last week! Who the hell expected a Village People parody to be the best thing in ages?! Next week will be the first time the show will air on Halloween, right?! It's gonna be a fun one. Mulaney's back!! (also, I still need to watch the rest of the one he hosted back in February. It's still sitting in my DVR)

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

This has been  a great episode.!!  I am rewatching the Village People for the 3rd time.

Definitely Mikey Day as the Cowboy and he some serious moves - which I never expected

And I love Michael, I give no fs, Che cause he will go there.

Edited by Macbeth
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

I think this is the best episode since Eddie Murphy.

Adele clearly told them she was up for anything and I love that you can tell she's a genuine fan of the show. She has charisma for days.

And I think she's making a run at the E in her EGOT. If the other future nominees saw The Bachelor sketch, they best step back. lol

• Love 17

Well that was better than last week. I’ll be honest, I was wondering why Adele was hosting and not singing but she did OK and I find her extremely likeable. Meanwhile, it was sort of the Maya Rudolph show. It was almost like she was the host since she was in so much of the show. She was pretty awesome. They obviously were desperate to give Melissa a showcase but WU continues to kill it overall. I see I wasn’t the only one to rewatch the Village People. On rereading this I see I didn’t give Adele enough credit. I love that she committed to everything and was willing to make fun of herself. We all know she can sing but I totally loved her tonight. Can’t wait for next week and Mulaney. I am also betting on a David S. Pumpkins cameo.

Edited by Psychobunny
  • Love 11

This whole episode was a pleasant surprise.  I'm still not a huge fan of the cold openings but I did like the Biden voice over about Trump's kids after Trump attacked Hunter in the sketch.  I also had to laugh at Trump talking about how the virus was sad to leave him because it does sound like something he'd say.  Then I realized, given how much they lift from the actual debates, maybe he actually did say it? I mean...I don't know. It continues to be disconcerting to not be able to distinguish between things that were actually said and parody unless I've watched what is being parodying. 

The psychic skit was a lot of fun.  Of all the skits tonight, it was one that impressed me the most because it managed to capture the "if you had told us this last year, we never would have believed it" bemusement while actually being funny.  One would think it'd be easy but sometimes because it seems like it'd be easy, the mark is missed.

19 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Not enough people laughed at the Phil Collins joke.

That was a clever joke but it needs perfect delivery and I think Che flubbed it. 

I loved the Ass Jeans commercial if only for the glorious nostalgia of 80s jeans and how that loose denim and pleats was unattractive on every body type and gender.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Good call casting Maya as the moderator and not shoehorning Kamala Harris in again. (I feel like if Cecily was around, they would've cast her instead) 

Kristen Welker is Black so Cecily would not be good casting.

At least we got to see Adele do an American accent in the Ass Angel sketch.  She's a pretty good actor.

I'd also like to say I really liked that first H.E.R. song "Damage"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

I love, love, love Adele and am so thrilled she did sing. Very clever to work it into The Bachelor the way they did. I'm sorry for H.E.R. if maybe she felt overshadowed, but how would it be possible to have Adele RIGHT THERE and not hear her sing? She also did a good job with the acting and I'm one who always likes when someone breaks. 

No Kyle Mooney had me thinking he wasn't around, but he was in the goodnights. 

• Love 8

Good episode. Yeah, I got pumped seeing next week's guest announced, but Adele was fun. Does she act as well as sing? I do not keep up. I didn't even though she was . . . well, that she had to leave half of herself behind.

Hey, they broke the usual Bachelor skit routine! Adele's songs are still effective. Remember the one sketch years ago, when they kept playing "Someone Like You" and all the characters were bawling, including Coldplay watching backstage? Good times. Once again, I don't keep up . . does she have a relationship record as fractured as Taylor Swift's?

• Love 3

It was enjoyable enough, but the only things that made me laugh out loud was Adele in the bushes during the Bachelor sketch, her breaking up during the Africa sketch and Weekend Update, especially the Village People. Adele did seem up for anything, which is a good thing in a host, especially a non actor. Very much looking forward to next week.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Good call casting Maya as the moderator and not shoehorning Kamala Harris in again. (I feel like if Cecily was around, they would've cast her instead) Yeah, it's weird to see Trump kind of nice. And then he called her Hoda. This was better. You could actually make it weirder than the real one, and yeah, a good chunk of what Trump said here was what he actually said. SIGH. Kate as Giuliani totally tucking it was the best part.

Monologue: Yeah, it's weird that Adele REALLY owes her career to Sarah Palin. Loved the giant swear jar bit. Hands up if this is the first time you've heard Adele speak and it's weirding you out.

Psychic: Ohhh it's set in 2019. That's a premise. And it was another excuse for Kate to be a weird character so I was all for it. I was wondering why Kate didn't read from Ego? But I liked the last minute Jeffrey Toobin joke. Wish there was more to that.

The Haunted Manor: Chad!! I lost it at "oh no, your neck." 

Bachelor: I love that Adele is actually playing herself in this. And here's the excuse to let her sing tonight. Loved that everyone was tired of it. This was great.

I was waiting for someone to say "Hey, can I steal him for a sec?" and I was happy to be rewarded for it.

Trump Addicts for America: Yeah...We'll be happy when Trump is gone, but he'll still living rent free in all of our heads and it'll be weird when he isn't. I will be 100% serious that the IDEA of President Trump is funny, but since he's actually running the country, it's been a nightmare. They didn't even touch that time he served McDonalds to that college basketball team! It would've been hilarious if he wasn't the guy in charge. I felt like this was more of an admission by the writers. They spent the past five years making fun of Trump (and in Update's case, just rolling actual footage of dumb crap he says), and they won't know what to do when he's not the president anymore.

I voted today (took five hours, but I did it), political ads should just disappear as soon as you do.

WU: "Trump Behaved More of a Regular Person" And yeah, we're all Jost and wished Biden actually called Trump out on his BS. It's frustrating, but that's the Democrats for ya. "Five years ago six months ago" is a MOOD. Yeah, Tom Hanks getting Covid is what we got us all to take this seriously, and now they just move sports games once a whole football team catches it. (And, uhh, not one of them mentioned how weird it is that they're back in the studio again) 

Not enough people laughed at the Phil Collins joke. But it was all gold. Loved the Village People bit. THAT was excellent. EVERYONE was just giving their all in that, it just made it so much better.

Grandma: Maya as an old lady is always a winner. Her constant "WHAT"s were the best. Seriously, it was tough to follow Update. It just made me miss my own Grandma (she passed last month).

Africa: I laughed at the same couple that kept passing by in the background. This was a weird sketch. Adele kept breaking, but it just made it better. What was up with her makeup?

Ass Angel Perfume Jeans: They're getting their money's worth out of Maya this week, and I am not complaining at all. I liked this, and how dangerous the jeans actually were.

MUCH better than last week! Who the hell expected a Village People parody to be the best thing in ages?! Next week will be the first time the show will air on Halloween, right?! It's gonna be a fun one. Mulaney's back!! (also, I still need to watch the rest of the one he hosted back in February. It's still sitting in my DVR)

Hey Galileo. IF That Doesn't Work, Then, You Can Get On You Tube And Stream That John Mulaney Episode From February ! David Byrne Is The Musical Guest ! He Was The Lead Singer With Talking Heads ! He Has A Show On Broad Way Called The Sag Lunch Bunch OR Some Thing Like That And Jake Was in That Show With John Mulaney Was Also In That Show ! ! He Has ALL These Dancers With A Black Woman Dancer And They Are Women And Men And The Men Tumble And Break Dance And They ALL Have Musical Instruments Around Their Waist Such As Drums Including Bongo Drums And Guitars And Key Boards ! They Do This Choreographed Dancing ALL Over The Stage And He Does This Also ! He Even Appears With The Black Woman Dancer In The Airport Sushi Sketch ! The Talking Heads Had A Hit Called On The Road To Nowhere, But He Sings In That Sushi Sketch On A Plane To Nowhere As He Is Marching While He Sings That ! ! The Monologue IS HILARIOUS ! I Don't Know IF You Know Stooge, But You Should Get Stooge To Watch This Show ! !

I Think You Forgot John Mulaney And David Byrne In February ! I Think IT Was You That Liked The Way David Byrne Did That Choreographed Dancing And The Way He Holds That Posture And Arched His Back ! I Think IT Was You That Said The Dude Is 67 ! Remember His HILARIOUS Monologue About The Founding Fathers And He Was There To Promote MARCH ! ! He Kept Yelling The Third Amendment To The Constitution Says The ARMY Can NOT LIVE In Your House ! He Misunderstood What That Sick Girl Wished For ! That IS THE Funniest Monologue I Have Ever Heard ! Every Body LOVED This Episode And Some Body Said They Thought People Had Forgotten About Eddie Murphy And Lizzo ! ! Also, Some People OR Critics Thought Adam Driver Had The Best Episode In 2019 ! I Forgot Who The Musical Guest Was On The Adam Driver Show !

19 hours ago, Jody said:

I Think You Forgot John Mulaney And David Byrne In February ! I Think IT Was You That Liked The Way David Byrne Did That Choreographed Dancing And The Way He Holds That Posture And Arched His Back ! I Think IT Was You That Said The Dude Is 67 ! Remember His HILARIOUS Monologue About The Founding Fathers And He Was There To Promote MARCH ! ! He Kept Yelling The Third Amendment To The Constitution Says The ARMY Can NOT LIVE In Your House ! He Misunderstood What That Sick Girl Wished For ! That IS THE Funniest Monologue I Have Ever Heard ! Every Body LOVED This Episode And Some Body Said They Thought People Had Forgotten About Eddie Murphy And Lizzo ! ! Also, Some People OR Critics Thought Adam Driver Had The Best Episode In 2019 ! I Forgot Who The Musical Guest Was On The Adam Driver Show !

This Message Was Supposed To Be For VB68. Sorry, I Thought I Had Clicked On That Quotation Marks !

20 hours ago, Psychobunny said:

Well that was better than last week. I’ll be honest, I was wondering why Adele was hosting and not singing but she did OK and I find her extremely likeable. Meanwhile, it was sort of the Maya Rudolph show. It was almost like she was the host since she was in so much of the show. She was pretty awesome. They obviously were desperate to give Melissa a showcase but WU continues to kill it overall. I see I wasn’t the only one to rewatch the Village People. On rereading this I see I didn’t give Adele enough credit. I love that she committed to everything and was willing to make fun of herself. We all know she can sing but I totally loved her tonight. Can’t wait for next week and Mulaney. I am also betting on a David S. Pumpkins cameo.

Maybe, VB68 OR Pete OR I'll Take Any Body Can Answer My Question ! When Tom Hanks Hosted That Time, Did Bobby Moynihan Make A Cameo Because He And Mikey Day Were NOT In The Same Cast Together ?

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kristen Welker is Black so Cecily would not be good casting.

At least we got to see Adele do an American accent in the Ass Angel sketch.  She's a pretty good actor.

I'd also like to say I really liked that first H.E.R. song "Damage"

First OF All, I Thought I Had Seen The Moderator On You Tube And I Did NOT Know She Was Black, But Maybe She Is A Light Black OR Half Black ! Second, I Liked The Second Song OF Her Because OF Her Guitar Playing !

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Jody said:

First OF All, I Thought I Had Seen The Moderator On You Tube And I Did NOT Know She Was Black, But Maybe She Is A Light Black OR Half Black ! Second, I Liked The Second Song OF Her Because OF Her Guitar Playing !

Kristen is half Black which is why Maya Rudolph was good casting.  They did put way too much makeup on her though.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Jody said:

Maybe, VB68 OR Pete OR I'll Take Any Body Can Answer My Question ! When Tom Hanks Hosted That Time, Did Bobby Moynihan Make A Cameo Because He And Mikey Day Were NOT In The Same Cast Together ?

The 42nd season of SNL was Bobby’s last and Mikey’s first (as a featured player).  

6 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

The 42nd season of SNL was Bobby’s last and Mikey’s first (as a featured player).  

THANK YOU ! I Did NOT Know They Had Bobby That Recently OR That He And Mikey Were Together And That Was Bobby's Last Season And Mikey's First Season ! !

• Love 1

The Someone Like You Sketch With Coldplay crying at the end is a hoot and I’m sad it’s not online due to the music rights (Coldplay is my favorite band).

I don’t think Adele needs to clear space for her Emmy this time, she was okay—I found her one note all through the show. However, people tend to give her awards even if she just sneezes, LOL.

The writing was better this episode and the cold open was a lot tighter. And I absolutely howled with laughter at Che’s joke that he thought Trump was going to die.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The psychic skit was a lot of fun.  Of all the skits tonight, it was one that impressed me the most because it managed to capture the "if you had told us this last year, we never would have believed it" bemusement while actually being funny.  One would think it'd be easy but sometimes because it seems like it'd be easy, the mark is missed.

That was my favorite, too.  So much horror and dread awaits those poor characters.  I liked the line, “Take that Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy!” because, yes, who would ever have thought that we would know who occupies that position in 2020?  

I wanted to like Melissa’s update bit because I was so ready to relate (as someone who lives alone and is still working from home and has had limited in-person interactions).  But it was just a vehicle for her to do some singing impressions that didn’t reach the heights of her Gaga, so I was perhaps more disappointed than most on that one.

The joke that got me the most in this show was the Phil Collins joke.  I actually lol’d:  “S-s-s-studio apartment.”  Heh.

Good observation in “Update” that I did not fully appreciate or realize:  that the two candidates running right now are older than the last three presidents. Wow.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Hands up if this is the first time you've heard Adele speak and it's weirding you out.

Yeah, first time, though I found her accent appealing. I will say, that girl has quite a sneer when she uses it!

Adele was great as a host. She threw herself into everything, and didn't look like she was reading lines. She didn't try any accents live, but then again she is a singer, not an actress. And based on the Africa skit, she may be a bit naughty!

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The writing was better this episode and the cold open was a lot tighter. And I absolutely howled with laughter at Che’s joke that he thought Trump was going to die.

Che's joke about nothing good happening at a playground near the Vatican was way funnier. 

HER definitely channels Prince for me. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 9

Interesting episode overall, an improvement over last week's dumpster fire. Hadn't seen Adele in so long, I had almost forgotten how awesome she is. I always saw her as beautiful, but now she almost looks like a Bond Girl. Surprisingly great comedic acting chops (other than breaking in the Africa sketch, which I suspect had meaning to her). To me her cracking up during the Africa sketch (which some found offensive, although it's based in reality) was the highlight of this episode.  I could see Adele carrying a sitcom much like Reba did.

Didn't know much about H.E.R., but she was good, nice 90s style Neo-Soul.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 7

I had to check birthdates, as Trump, George W. Bush, and Bill Clinton were all born in the summer of 1946. Sure enough, Trump is the oldest of the three as he was born in June (Bush was born in July and Clinton was born in August). So Che's joke is actually accurate, even if Trump is only older than two of them by 1 - 2 months. And of course Biden is older than all of them, and both of them are older than Obama.

Edited by madpsych78
  • Useful 2

What's bothering me very quickly is the righteous, moral indignation bubbling up in the Twitter-verse about the Africa sketch. I'm as left-leaning as they come, but give me a break. We intelligent adults (of all colors), know this to be true - some White women (divorced or not) travel to Africa and parts of the Caribbean primarily for one reason. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but we can have a little fun with it, yes?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

What's bothering me very quickly is the righteous, moral indignation bubbling up in the Twitter-verse about the Africa sketch. I'm as left-leaning as they come, but give me a break. We intelligent adults (of all colors), know this to be true - some White women (divorced or not) travel to Africa and parts of the Caribbean primarily for one reason. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but we can have a little fun with it, yes?

If self righteous moral outrage could be turned into energy we'd have a surplus for a million years even if every person on Earth flew on their own private 747 every day.

2 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Good observation in “Update” that I did not fully appreciate or realize:  that the two candidates running right now are older than the last three presidents. Wow.

Yup, and they were all two term president's too.  The guy who wins being older than the man we elected 28 years ago is just mind boggling.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I don’t think Adele needs to clear space for her Emmy this time, she was okay—I found her one note all through the show. However, people tend to give her awards even if she just sneezes, LOL.

So true.  I think she's a good singer but certainly not one of the best I've ever heard, so I've never understood all the worship.  

Edited by Crashcourse

Not at all surprised my girl Adele came through. Especially for a non-actress it was great to see she was game for anything and not afraid to poke fun at herself. I remember her first appearance in 2008 and can't believe that was already 12 years ago. I remember watching the episode with my dad, and them cutting to her setting up for her first song during the commercial break. She was 20 years old and looked terrified. Neither of us had heard of her before and I remember my dad saying "that poor girl looks like she wants to throw up." And then she just absolutely killed it, and the rest is history. It was fun to see her reminisce on that during her monologue.

My favorite sketches were the psychic, The Bachelor, and the Africa sketch (mostly for Adele breaking--divorcees of a certain age moving to Africa is not a stereotype I'm familiar with). The only thing about the psychic sketch that bothered me was Kate kept touching people's faces and then pulling their hands towards her face. It reminded me of a couple weeks ago when she tried to stick the pipe she'd been puffing on into Colin's mouth. She's the only one who's doing stuff like this and it's so gross. Girl! Pandemic!

Oof, the crowd was not feeling Melissa's bit at all. Colin was trying to help but it wasn't working.

The political stuff continues to be the weakest. I've just stopped paying attention to the cold opens.

I've never heard H.E.R. before and thought she was great, especially the second song.

John Mulaney next week! My favorite host on my favorite holiday will definitely pull me out of the funk of Halloween essentially being cancelled this year.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

and I remember my dad saying "that poor girl looks like she wants to throw up." And then she just absolutely killed it, and the rest is history. It was fun to see her reminisce on that during her monologue.

I think it's sweet how she is genuinely  thankful to the show for opening up her career in America (her view) and is very loyal to the show. You don't see that in a lot of performers. 

10 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Oof, the crowd was not feeling Melissa's bit at all. Colin was trying to help but it wasn't working.

I didn't think the material was very strong. It certainly wasn't on the level of her Gaga routine.

• Love 8

Another weak episode IMO.  The only sketch I really liked was the Psychic.  Carrey apparently adjusted due to criticism of his Biden portrayal, but in toning it down it seemed to suck some of the humor out of it.  He still had a few funny moments.  

To be honest, it looked like for a good percentage of it they didn't even bother with doing comedy, they were just straight up campaigning for Biden.  I'll be glad when this election is over.

• Love 3

Carrey seems to have dialed back the wackiness a bit with his Biden portrayal. Good.

I thought Adele's face looked more like her old self on the show and that she overall looked fantastic.

That psychic scene was hilarious! No one in their right mind could've imagined the WTFery of 2020.

Adele did sing! Yay! The voice is still there! I wish she had sung Rolling in the Deep too.

You can say "right prick" on broadcast TV? The connotation is pretty clear, IMO, even if it is British slang.

Loved Bowen in the leather daddy outfit.

The sad thing is that "mandigo" tourism is actually a thing. ("Mandigo" in the 1970s blaxploitation sense.) Poor Adele was actually accused of it, falsely. Nice to see she has a good sense of humor about it.

Wasn't familiar with H.E.R. until now. I like her style. She really brought the Prince vibe with that second song she performed and it hit me in the feels a little bit.

Thumbs up for this one. I think Adele has decent comedy chops and she's game for making fun of herself.

The joke that got me the most in this show was the Phil Collins joke.  I actually lol’d:  “S-s-s-studio apartment.”  Heh.

Except it wasn't really his joke. I'd already heard it earlier in the week on another TV show, and I'm reasonably sure I'd already seen it on reddit as well.

I think maybe two things are happening: 1) a lot of people didn't know it was actually a thing, and/or, 2) Karens again not liking being told about themselves.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, vb68 said:
40 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

and I remember my dad saying "that poor girl looks like she wants to throw up." And then she just absolutely killed it, and the rest is history. It was fun to see her reminisce on that during her monologue.

I think it's sweet how she is genuinely  thankful to the show for opening up her career in America (her view) and is very loyal to the show. You don't see that in a lot of performers. 

I believe that in real life Adele is probably very shy and likely has mild stage fright, like Carly Simon had back in the day. Could be that the swearing is a coping mechanism, she doesn't seem to do it during one-to-one interviews. She does seem genuinely sweet and humble, though.

1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:
8 hours ago, cpcathy said:

So true.  I think she's a good singer but certainly not one of the best I've ever heard, so I've never understood all the worship. 

I've read that Adele has what people in the music industry call "that thing" in her voice; it's an element you really can't really qualify or quantify that only the greats (like Aretha Franklin or Barbara Streisand among female vocalists) have. For me, I don't think we can be sure until she starts taking some musical chances, like making a Country or Jazz CD.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 3