Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: A Quarantine Courtship

Temperance
  • Start Topic

The Duggars adjust to a new normal during the pandemic as they get creative celebrating Abbie's birthday from a safe distance. Jinger and Jeremy take over a family video chat to share happy news.

Air date: September 22, 2020

The weird summary leaves out the most interesting part: the new courtship, but there's a new courtship. I've put off making this thread in hopes of avoiding spoilers.

If you need a spoiler there it is: Lonely J spoiler thread 

Look at Anna, another speaking part right off the bat.  Some of the camera work has been much better than others. Kendra's is on her game with the video in the car.  Yes, I do wonder how many of them actually did social distance.  Of course most of them live in the big house and since Josh's family lives right by them they don't seem to be distancing from the main house.  

• Love 4

OK, I think they promoted this episode all wrong. This episode should have been titled a Quarantine Pregnancy and promoted Jin/Jer's second pregnancy, which we already knew about thanks to social media. The courtship reveal would have then been a "true" spoiler that would have left people like us talking about it (even more than usual). There was absolutely nothing about the courtship in that episode that was surprising, but I actually did find the way the gender reveal was handled to be surprising because there was nothing about that at all in the promos to my recollection.

• Love 7

This episode was stupid. The show barely spent anytime on the courtship. He announced in the last 2 minutes. If he's living in TX, I would have like to have seen more.

Also Jordyn and Josie named all of JB and Michelle's granddaughters except MacKynzie and Meredith. Why?

Then Jessa mentioned 2 losses within the last year (Joy's still birth and Jinger's miscarriage.) If they were really filming on Ben's birthday, then Grandma Mary died within the last year. Grandma Mary was a big part of their lives, she should have been biggest loss; how do they not remember her?

• Love 9

Why would Jinger give away Lissy's clothes when they're having another girl?

I fell asleep just as they were gathering for the family Zoom. Justin is living in TX? This sounds just like the Jessa/Ben courtship/engagement. Does Justin have a job there? And if Justin is living in TX and Claire was present at the TTH during Christmas, why did they all act surprised? I get reality TV isn't reality, but you can't fool the audience after providing real details.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Why would Jinger give away Lissy's clothes when they're having another girl?

I fell asleep just as they were gathering for the family Zoom. Justin is living in TX? This sounds just like the Jessa/Ben courtship/engagement. Does Justin have a job there? And if Justin is living in TX and Claire was present at the TTH during Christmas, why did they all act surprised? I get reality TV isn't reality, but you can't fool the audience after providing real details.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jeremy and Jinger wanted to unload all of Felicity’s outgrown clothes so that they’d have an excuse to  buy a complete brand-new wardrobe for the new baby. Nothing they love more than shopping.

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

This episode was stupid. The show barely spent anytime on the courtship. He announced in the last 2 minutes. If he's living in TX, I would have like to have seen more.

Also Jordyn and Josie named all of JB and Michelle's granddaughters except MacKynzie and Meredith. Why?

Then Jessa mentioned 2 losses within the last year (Joy's still birth and Jinger's miscarriage.) If they were really filming on Ben's birthday, then Grandma Mary died within the last year. Grandma Mary was a big part of their lives, she should have been biggest loss; how do they not remember her?

I don't know that Justin's living in TX. I do think he was visiting Claire in TX, but the THs with just Justin were also in the same room as the ones with Jackson and Tyler, so I think that is the boys room. Either way, it's stupid to visit and then make a big deal about Zooming with family when they all regularly see one another anyway.

I think Jordyn and Josie were naming only the last string of granddaughters that were all born in a row. There are no grandsons between Felicity and Ivy. 

And likewise, I think Jessa was just talking about the pregnancies. Granted, I think it's dumb to just focus on pregnancy and birth; it's like the show is projecting Michelle.

• Love 8

I think we were supposed to believe the exaggerated side eye from Jinger when asked if the clothes might make their way back to them was because she was keeping a pregnancy secret.  In reality I think it was about, one, you think a child of ours is going to wear hand-me-downs; and two, you think a child of ours is going to wear double hand-me-downs, do you know how out of step with fashion trends they'll be by then?  They'll be long past 'gram suitable by then.

Justin's TH in the boys' bunkroom was pathetic.   I always feel like scenes from the palace of brown and beige bring with them uniquely powerful properties of smell-o-vision, but I swear the cloud was almost visible and I just wanted someone to throw the windows open.  No natural light, no air, reeking of years of body odor and repression.

Of course JB had to make sure he and M showed up for the birthday parade in the most attention-grabbing ride.  At least M didn't have a problem with the wind messing up that nest she wears on her head. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 12

Maybe, it's been addressed somewhere, but, where was Justin coming from in the FT session?  The background looked like a sort of couch/bed with living area next to it?  Basement apartment? 

I don't know their activities, but, in the beginning the rules for quarantine varied by state and even county.  Now, there are new rules about meeting, like you can meet in a restaurant, but, outside, or keeping mask on, unless you are eating, etc. I  know some people who are meeting at outdoor cafes, picnic areas, etc.  I'm not there yet, but, I suppose for some who are not high risk, it's an option.  

Are there any other people living in the BIG HOUSE (lol) other than immediate family members and the relative nephew?  

What type of place do Abby and JD live?  It looked like a black mobile home, which, I've never heard of, but, also that it was attached to another large building.....

Edited by SunnyBeBe
11 minutes ago, toomuchtv said:

Abbie was wearing pants for her birthday parade! I know she, and some of the other married girls, wear them regularly, but for large family events I think she wears dresses/skirts. Guess that’s what you get for surprise! 

Sorry, I'm not buying the surprise aspect.  The camera was rolling when the honking cars rolled up, not subsequently.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

Immediately when Jinger explained that she was packing up Felicity's outgrown clothes to send to the cousins in Arkansas my mind went to -- how are they going to decide amongst the likely pool of little ones where they wind up first?   I have to admit I had completely eliminated Ivy from the possibilities.  Looking at both girls in the same timeframe it seems to me that Ivy would need the size Felicity is currently in, if not larger.  I don't see Ivy fitting into clothes that are already too small for Felicity.  If I have that sense I would think Jinger absolutely would.  Yet Ivy was the name Jinger continued to repeat to Felicity as the intended recipient.  Maybe I'm off base on the size differential between the two.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Immediately when Jinger explained that she was packing up Felicity's outgrown clothes to send to the cousins in Arkansas my mind went to -- how are they going to decide amongst the likely pool of little ones where they wind up first?   I have to admit I had completely eliminated Ivy from the possibilities.  Looking at both girls in the same timeframe it seems to me that Ivy would need the size Felicity is currently in, if not larger.  I don't see Ivy fitting into clothes that are already too small for Felicity.  If I have that sense I would think Jinger absolutely would.  Yet Ivy was the name Jinger continued to repeat to Felicity as the intended recipient.  Maybe I'm off base on the size differential between the two.

I thought the same thing. Ivy is a little chunky monkey and Lissy is a bean pole. I'm thinking Ivy would need to size up at least a couple of sizes and Lissy is only 1.5 years older.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I think ivy is probably the baby felicity is most familiar with. If they FaceTime or anything Ivy is really the only one felicity might interact with, so it makes sense to just say the baby girl she knows as an example.

32 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, toomuchtv said:

I think ivy is probably the baby felicity is most familiar with. If they FaceTime or anything Ivy is really the only one felicity might interact with, so it makes sense to just say the baby girl she knows as an example.

That was my thought, too.  The other young cousins are probably too young to engage with Felicity over FaceTime.

• Love 1

Do these people really believe that their audience is going to be happy that a 17 year old BOY is basically engaged to be married? Are they really that out of touch with the world? Honestly, it made me really sad, and I wonder if he's being pushed into this for ratings, or because he just liked this girl and his parents immediately thought he better be COURTING or he'd end up a nasty whore. Lots of Christians go college. Have any of the Duggar kids gone to college, or even had it as an option? Or are they all forced to work at one of Jim Bob's many businesses lest they be cut off from the family fortune?

I don't know their activities, but, in the beginning the rules for quarantine varied by state and even county.  Now, there are new rules about meeting, like you can meet in a restaurant, but, outside, or keeping mask on, unless you are eating, etc. I  know some people who are meeting at outdoor cafes, picnic areas, etc.  I'm not there yet, but, I suppose for some who are not high risk, it's an optio

Arkansas is one of the states where things never completely shut down. And I think what did shut down opened back up pretty quickly. I doubt they do much mask-wearing either. Even though Carlin Bates got COVID. 

• Love 8

Jeremy let one other person briefly speak before hijacking that entire zoom call. I wonder if that was the plan or if he is just that obnoxious (or both).

I noticed Justin never used the word “courtship.” He said relationship a couple times. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Do these people really believe that their audience is going to be happy that a 17 year old BOY is basically engaged to be married? Are they really that out of touch with the world? Honestly, it made me really sad, and I wonder if he's being pushed into this for ratings, or because he just liked this girl and his parents immediately thought he better be COURTING or he'd end up a nasty whore. Lots of Christians go college. Have any of the Duggar kids gone to college, or even had it as an option? Or are they all forced to work at one of Jim Bob's many businesses lest they be cut off from the family fortune?

Arkansas is one of the states where things never completely shut down. And I think what did shut down opened back up pretty quickly. I doubt they do much mask-wearing either. Even though Carlin Bates got COVID. 

I think they've been drinking the pickle juice so long that they expect the audience will be impressed that they have managed to raise a 17 year old who's ready for a serious relationship and marriage.  They see this as proof positive that their belief system and stellar parenting produce superior results.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
45 minutes ago, Maya said:

Jeremy let one other person briefly speak before hijacking that entire zoom call. I wonder if that was the plan or if he is just that obnoxious (or both).

The duties of a breakout star are never done.

• LOL 24
15 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

OK, I think they promoted this episode all wrong. This episode should have been titled a Quarantine Pregnancy and promoted Jin/Jer's second pregnancy, which we already knew about thanks to social media. The courtship reveal would have then been a "true" spoiler that would have left people like us talking about it (even more than usual). There was absolutely nothing about the courtship in that episode that was surprising, but I actually did find the way the gender reveal was handled to be surprising because there was nothing about that at all in the promos to my recollection.

TLC want views, calling it that would’ve got less viewers as everyone knows Jing and Jer are having a baby. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I think they've been drinking the pickle juice so long that they expect the audience will be impressed that they have managed to raise a 17 year old who's ready for a serious relationship and marriage.  They see this as proof positive that their belief system and stellar parenting produce superior results.

Seems Ben's parents thought so, too.  

I think that Ivy was the only cousin Jinger thought to send Felicity's hand me downs, because the other babies are still small.  Doubt they will fit.

A lot of posters said that they didn't know there is a Justin.  I remember him; he was part of Jessa's buddy group.  However, if Jason were to mug me, I wouldn't be able to tell them who did it.  

During the video chat, I couldn't help but wonder if the two blacked out squares at the bottom of the screen were Josh and Jill.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

And what a wholesome and Godly young man he is. You know, I'm not saying the guy has to be having sex at a young age (though I guess he will be soon), but gee let him sneak in a kiss or two! Let them go out on an actual date to the movies, alone, together....... 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s funny how all of them know that the first person is the right person, even before they have had an unchaperoned conversation. What are the odds?

In other words, I wouldn’t buy anything from Jason even if he was trying to sell me water in the Sahara.

They're idiots, they're ignorant of virtually everything,  and they're brainwashed.

Can't beat the stupid created by that combination. And -- bonus! -- it comes equipped with a heaping helping of utterly unjustified self-confidence! Yay! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
31 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s funny how all of them know that the first person is the right person, even before they have had an unchaperoned conversation. What are the odds?

In other words, I wouldn’t buy anything from Jason even if he was trying to sell me water in the Sahara.

And how does he "know"? How many women has he gotten to know? I remember who I was madly in love with at his age. I spend 3 years in HS just gaga for him. Things didn't work out and I'm glad they didn't as I recently found out he is gay. 

• Love 22
18 hours ago, Temperance said:

They were naming the 8 granddaughters in a row. Mack and Mere were in between a lot of boys before the recent run on girls.

• Love 5

I’ve watched this show since day one with a few breaks over the years, but, when I recently saw the story about a Justin on a popular website, I had to examine it carefully. I was certain they got the story wrong, because he was NOT a Duggar!  Lol. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They were naming the 8 granddaughters in a row. Mack and Mere were in between a lot of boys before the recent run on girls.

Yes. Mackenzie is the oldest grandchild and Meredith is number 5. The grandchildren between Felicity and Gracie are all girls (and of course Joy’s baby just born but not as if the filming of the episode). 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. Mackenzie is the oldest grandchild and Meredith is number 5. The grandchildren between Felicity and Gracie are all girls (and of course Joy’s baby just born but not as if the filming of the episode). 

They added babies Forsyth and Vuolo in the count.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
I know the plural of baby!
  • Love 2

I made the mistake of checking out some of the Instragram comments. There are many people trying to minimize what is actually going on here, and saying it's just a form of Christian dating. They don't want to acknowledge that it's really more like an engagement, and way too serious of a relationship for a 17 year old homeschooler with no experience in the world. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Seen a lot of cringeworthy things on th is show. Jimboob in that car, sunglasses on hair plastered with Aquanet, ugh!

The truly hilarious thing is his ultra competitive streak led him to make darn sure he was driving the most attention grabbing vehicle in the parade and he absolutely thought he was THE coolest dude driving that thing.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I made the mistake of checking out some of the Instragram comments. There are many people trying to minimize what is actually going on here, and saying it's just a form of Christian dating. They don't want to acknowledge that it's really more like an engagement, and way too serious of a relationship for a 17 year old homeschooler with no experience in the world. 

Yes- this isn’t “Christian dating” or “chaste dating”. It’s engaged to be engaged, and not even a long engagement (some people I know who had arranged marriages waited 2-3yrs for them to finish school to be married). If Justin was courting Claire and they wouldn’t be married until 20/21 that would still be “young” but I wouldn’t be offended. 

Justin will be married before his 19th bday I’m sure. 

• Love 5

what type of property is JD and Abbies home on? The big parking lot, right off of the highway and big building confused me..

JD really has come out of his shell... wow... Not too bad of a singing voice either...

anybody find the gluten free, dairy free, sugar free chocolate cake recipe? 🎂 I applaud Abbie for sticking to such a strict mean dietary plan - which I guess means lots of fruits and veggies.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, sATL said:

what type of property is JD and Abbies home on? The big parking lot, right off of the highway and big building confused me..

It’s a commercial property,  and is the location of MEDIC CORPS, and the address where the RV Park Express LLC is registered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

RE: the passing down of girls clothes... Yeah, it a nice idea in theory - Felicity is a year older, but Ivy already  looks a little "fuller"😍..  then there is the season of growth/age (winter baby vs. summer baby) and the climate  - Laredo TX vs. Northwest Ark.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

And what a wholesome and Godly young man he is. You know, I'm not saying the guy has to be having sex at a young age (though I guess he will be soon), but gee let him sneak in a kiss or two! Let them go out on an actual date to the movies, alone, together....... 

Do these courting couples even have a squabble/disagreement before marriage while courting or when they are engaged?  Are they even allowed to or do they have to show the heathen world that they are perfect and have found the perfect partner and will always get along & never disagree or ever have a fight?

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Do these courting couples even have a squabble/disagreement before marriage while courting or when they are engaged?  Are they even allowed to or do they have to show the heathen world that they are perfect and have found the perfect partner and will always get along & never disagree or ever have a fight?

I don't know about the couples themselves, but the girls were taught to observe future prospects to see if they're "quick to anger".

• Useful 1
  • Love 1